What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New show, "The Last Ship" (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
I think I'm going to like this show.

NAVAL DRAMA MEETS GLOBAL PANDEMIC.
→ APRIL 21, 2014 Advance Review: Michael Bay is at it again with TNT's upcoming drama The Last Ship, which the filmmaker executive produced. Based on a novel by William Brinkley, the new series is a disaster story of epic proportions, as a deadly pandemic sweeps the globe and decimates the world's population (almost 80 percent by the start of the show). Because of its positioning, the Navy destroyer U.S.S. Nathan James avoids falling victim to the devastating tragedy. However, the crew is faced with a series of tough decisions when they learn they're harboring a scientist with the know-how to formulate a cure for the disease.

On Saturday, WonderCon attendees were treated to an advance screening of the entire first episode of The Last Ship, which gave us our first extended look at what's to come for the series. Suffice to say -- given this is a Michael Bay production -- there's plenty of gunfire, naval speak and, yes, explosions to go around (not to mention a very Transformers-esque soundtrack).

he cast of The Last Ship is made up of a large ensemble, including Adam Baldwin (Firefly), Charles Parnell (Pariah), Travis Van Winkle (Transformers) and Christina Alemore (Fruitvale Station), but the series basically boils down to two leads. The first is Captain Tom Chandler (Grey's Anatomy's Eric Dane), the crew's leader and go-to for all major decisions aboard the Nathan James. The second is Dr. Rachel Scott (Doomsday's Rhona Mitra), the lead scientist behind a potential cure that could save all of humanity. Naturally, these two players butt heads in the early going, especially when they receive official word of the ongoing plague. (The ship's crew is kept in the dark for several weeks before the learning the truth.) It doesn't take long, though, for both of them to decide to work together to work on the task at hand.

In terms of emotional depth, there isn't all that much to The Last Ship -- that is to say, the first episode is almost entirely plot-driven. We get brief glimpses of who these people are behind their rank -- the occasional reference to family back home -- but it's not really enough to establish a connection with any of the characters (save Chandler, who gets one short scene to reflect on his family upon watching a video message). Granted, this is somewhat understandable since the plot

s so dense, and there's still plenty of time to get to know the crew, but as of right now, the characters feel flat and all written in the same voice.

Still, while there isn't much in the way of character development, The Last Ship's debut installment is jam-packed with high production values and fast-paced storytelling. The characters make decisions at a mile a minute, so at the very least there's never a dull moment. In that way, it almost feels like a spiritual successor to last year's short lived series Last Resort, which also centered around a Navy ship caught in dire circumstances. Only this time, there's a ticking clock, since the fate of the crew's families hangs in the balance.

THE VERDICT

Executive produced by Michael Bay, The Last Ship is a slick-looking, fast-moving new series that promises a seafaring adventure with a twist -- basically, the fate of humanity rests squarely on the shoulders of one Navy destroyer and her crew. Boldly combining naval drama and global pandemic, there's a lot to digest in the first episode, and the characters tend to get lost in the shuffle as a result of the wall-to-wall plot. Still, the series is only just getting started, and it definitely has the potential to explore deeper themes of isolation, existentialism and the ramifications of a rapidly decaying social structure.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/22/the-last-ship-pilot-review

Last edited by a moderator:
Set it on the DVR but didn't realize it was Michael Bay til reading this. I'm down with stuff like The Rock so I'm not trying to be all anti-Bay, but I don't have a lot of hope for this as a TV show with him at the helm.

I liked it, but im afraid like the nuke sub show last year the plot is dooming the show from lasting because it really should be a miniseries instead.

I liked it, but im afraid like the nuke sub show last year the plot is dooming the show from lasting because it really should be a miniseries instead.
I believe they can throw many different angles to this plot because the ship is moving from one location to another, as opposed to being docked in one place. Many will bring the fight to them as they go from place to place, so there will be many story lines. I just hope they don't have poor writhing like they did with Revolution. There was a show that high potential, but they ruined it with poor scripts.

I just watched the 2nd episode and it was just as good as the first one, maybe better. It's an intense show and I like the premise. I only hope the writing is good long term.

I believe they can throw many different angles to this plot because the ship is moving from one location to another, as opposed to being docked in one place. Many will bring the fight to them as they go from place to place, so there will be many story lines. I just hope they don't have poor writhing like they did with Revolution. There was a show that high potential, but they ruined it with poor scripts.
It's Star Trek. A ship, a captain, medical and science officer, landing parties heading into the unknown. A tried and true formula. Oh, and Rhona Mitra oozes sex appeal for a jowly chick.

So far, entertaining. I'd hope it's a short run to end the story.
:goodposting: One of the rare shows now days where my wife, my daughter and I like the same show..

But I agree that this would have been better served as a mini-series as it will get old quick running from one island to another..

But until it does get old, I'm in :popcorn:

It's Star Trek. A ship, a captain, medical and science officer, landing parties heading into the unknown. A tried and true formula. Oh, and Rhona Mitra oozes sex appeal for a jowly chick.
No, it is a lessor version of Battlestar Galactica. It was OK, not great

Yeah, it does have a Trek feel; good call. I never served in the military but have had the amazing fortune to be (how can I say this) in the right places sometimes and talk with experienced Navy combat officers and enlisted personnel, and in my probably dumb judgment I think they're giving a reasonably realistic portrayal of what combat on an Aegis-equipped destroyer looks like. (Would love to hear what someone who's served on an Arleigh Burke-class DDG thinks.) I don't think it's dumb and loud like Transformers, e.g., at all. I also love that they don't explain every acronym - in fact, ANY acronym - for shipboard systems to the audience. I hate it when someone puts out a BOLO or says they're going to contact IA on a law enforcement show and some other character playing the cabbagehead for the audience has to say, "Oh, you're calling Internal Affairs? Really?"

One thing I'd like to see them try here - it's already been renewed for S2 - is to have the virus cured soon, at the end of this season or by the middle of the next. Then deal with the reconstruction of society. If they stay on the ship forever or found a new civilization on some island it will start to look and feel like Last Resort (last year's SSBN show) real fast, only without Autumn Reeser and Jessy Schram.

It is decent so far. I watch Falling Skies so I have this set on my DVR as well. So fat it has been a decent watch. And yes very Star Trek esque.

I'm a fan through the first four. First episode was slow and I wasn't sure of I was going to keep up, but the next three have me hooked in.

I started watching this show because of Falling Skies. Currently, I'm 3 episodes behind on Falling Skies, and this show has hit my "must watch" list.

Big fan. I thought the episode with the strategy against the Russian war general was very tense.

Anyone still in this? Season finale last night. Interesting to see where they go. The plausibility of them taking the ship is not high imo. That put me off a bit.

I think it was a successful first season. I'll be back for more. Too bad there is such a long layoff between seasons.

I have been watching and enjoying it. They did catch me off guard not seeing the bad guy/good guy switch coming as I should have and normally do. Maybe I just was not paying enough attention but afterwards I kinda kicked myself for not seeing it.

I didn't realize that that was the season finale. I will watch again next season for sure.

This is a normally slow time for me on watching shows so I have been watching Falling Skies and added this to the recordings. I liked this much more than Falling Skies which is much more of a 'eh, don't have anything better to watch right now' choice.

I have been watching and enjoying it. They did catch me off guard not seeing the bad guy/good guy switch coming as I should have and normally do. Maybe I just was not paying enough attention but afterwards I kinda kicked myself for not seeing it.

I didn't realize that that was the season finale. I will watch again next season for sure.

This is a normally slow time for me on watching shows so I have been watching Falling Skies and added this to the recordings. I liked this much more than Falling Skies which is much more of a 'eh, don't have anything better to watch right now' choice.
Good show, definitely plan to watch it next summer. I stopped watching Falling Skies this season and deleted all the recordings. I used to like that show, but I watched the premiere this summer and it was so all over the place that I stopped. It got bad, maybe it got better, but it just didn't interest me at all.

Very enjoyable show..

Should be interesting to see if the Captain and his team take back the ship and go rogue to get away from both the groups.. Neither one is someone you want to back in this battle for power.

Let them :boxing: out and then come back in to sweep up the mess and take over.

Season premiere was on Sunday, 2 hours. Wow, that was an enjoyable 2 hours. Loved it and am intrigued by the new directions. Love Tex. Really wish Office Krispy Kreme had gotten a lot more of a beating before his end.

Season premiere was on Sunday, 2 hours. Wow, that was an enjoyable 2 hours. Loved it and am intrigued by the new directions. Love Tex. Really wish Office Krispy Kreme had gotten a lot more of a beating before his end.
:goodposting:

It was done very well. First hour ticked you off and I am glad it was back to back as the end of the first hour was :eek: :angry:

I don't expect the best TV show ever, but it is fun to watch. I'm glad the went back to the ax that they foreshadowed. I'm not sure I am going to enjoy that cult they previewed as much. Not sure I get that motivation. Heck, I didn't really get that lady's motivation to burn people for power. Is there really not enough wood around Baltimore that you have to burn the sick? If you are rounding people up, couldn't you just ship them out to a quarantined area instead of killing them? It's not like they are healthy enough to come back. Stuff like that keeps this show in the enjoyable, but not great area, which is fine.

I think of it like The Walking Dead. There are enough people you would have to fight just for supplies, etc. that I just hope they don't go to far off the deep end to give motivation for fighting. I'm not going to like the immune cult much, so I hope the rest keeps going well.

I do echo the above comment about Tex, great character. The main characters are pretty solid in that I actually care about them. Heck, even the pregnant lady, who wasn't my favorite got better with the stab to the heart during that scene.

I know it's not a particularly good show and season one was almost a Navy recruiting ad, but I really enjoy the show perhaps for those reasons. Big Adam Baldwin fan so glad he has a big role.

I liked season 1 so I'm pretty excited to see how they continue this off the ship.

Another Tex fan here as well.

I know it's not a particularly good show and season one was almost a Navy recruiting ad, but I really enjoy the show perhaps for those reasons. Big Adam Baldwin fan so glad he has a big role.
I liked him in Chuck and he has that same badass vibe here. Loved him killing that ####### with the ax.

It was done very well. First hour ticked you off and I am glad it was back to back as the end of the first hour was :eek: :angry:
I think it was a step up from the first season. If they continue to get better as the show progresses then this will end up being something I look forward to every week rather than a 'what do I have on DVR to watch?' show.

My concern is.... where do they go with this? How far can they go? Going down to Norfolk makes sense but then..... what is going to make them shove off again? It is kind of like Battlestar Galactica, the story line provides some awesomeness but then where do you for how long before it loses it's awesomeness and you have to wrap the show up. I am not seeing the target 7 season series here. It seems to me 5 is the most they can get and that will be stretching it.

Yeah, it was really, really good. This show had me hooked already last year. Just well done and moderately paced. Love the acting all around and the pace is just right as well.

I really like Tex too. Hopefully they don't do a GoT on him.

I think it was a step up from the first season. If they continue to get better as the show progresses then this will end up being something I look forward to every week rather than a 'what do I have on DVR to watch?' show.

My concern is.... where do they go with this? How far can they go? Going down to Norfolk makes sense but then..... what is going to make them shove off again? It is kind of like Battlestar Galactica, the story line provides some awesomeness but then where do you for how long before it loses it's awesomeness and you have to wrap the show up. I am not seeing the target 7 season series here. It seems to me 5 is the most they can get and that will be stretching it.
7 seasons? Is that officially what they said or comparing it to other shows. I agree that there is no chance it goes 7 seasons. I just want it to stay as good as it has been. That is enough to keep me going. Falling Skies is on TNT as well and I liked that as a "summer" show before it went off the rails. I don't even remember how many of the seasons I watched before I stopped watching and I even gave it more time than I should have.

It can't go Walking Dead because with the cure, there is no "threat" outside of regular people. Sure, you could keep doing the rogue warlord stories, but seeing as how there is no "electricity" gone like Revolution, the world with the cure could get back on its feet. Also, throw in the Navy commander/ship/doctor who are good people in the show they are likely the people who start the new world. They have enough smart people to get power plants back up and get life going again.

I agree that I don't see the show going much farther than 4 or 5 seasons.

7 seasons? Is that officially what they said or comparing it to other shows. I agree that there is no chance it goes 7 seasons. I just want it to stay as good as it has been. That is enough to keep me going. Falling Skies is on TNT as well and I liked that as a "summer" show before it went off the rails. I don't even remember how many of the seasons I watched before I stopped watching and I even gave it more time than I should have.

It can't go Walking Dead because with the cure, there is no "threat" outside of regular people. Sure, you could keep doing the rogue warlord stories, but seeing as how there is no "electricity" gone like Revolution, the world with the cure could get back on its feet. Also, throw in the Navy commander/ship/doctor who are good people in the show they are likely the people who start the new world. They have enough smart people to get power plants back up and get life going again.

I agree to start a new world with Rhona Mitra. I will sacrifice myself so you guys don't have to. :)

I liked him in Chuck and he has that same badass vibe here. Loved him killing that ####### with the ax.
I just wish instead of the give and take, after all that ##### did, it was more like he breaks in, and Baldwin just opens up a gigantic can of whoopass on him, ending with the axe. Would have done wonders for catharsis. I had a hard time believing that Officer Krispy Kreme was holding his own as it is.

I just wish instead of the give and take, after all that ##### did, it was more like he breaks in, and Baldwin just opens up a gigantic can of whoopass on him, ending with the axe. Would have done wonders for catharsis. I had a hard time believing that Officer Krispy Kreme was holding his own as it is.
LOL, I sort of thought the same thing, why is he not destroying him? I think they did that all so he could get the ax (since they showed him almost taking it before). If he just beats the snot out of him, no need to grab the ax to finish him. It was worth it to me to see the ax in the chest that I was able to ignore the rest of the fight.

LOL, I sort of thought the same thing, why is he not destroying him? I think they did that all so he could get the ax (since they showed him almost taking it before). If he just beats the snot out of him, no need to grab the ax to finish him. It was worth it to me to see the ax in the chest that I was able to ignore the rest of the fight.
How about let's redo the scene. He is beating the crap out him, just laying him low. Remember the gun that fell early in the fight. Ofc Krispy Kreme gets thrown across the room, having him land near the gun. He makes a last ditch effort by grabbing the gun. Baldwin sees the axe, grabs it, and throws it tomahawk style, thudding satisfyingly into his now limp body. He smirks, turns and walks away. And, cut!

I read somewhere that 7 seasons was kind of the golden rule of tv shows in terms of telling a story. That more than that many seasons tends to kill a story arc or something along those lines. I think it is kind of a 'target' season number for most shows now.

I don't think anyone has said how many seasons they expected out of Last Ship.

I agree to start a new world with Rhona Mitra. I will sacrifice myself so you guys don't have to. :)
Wow, taking the big hits for the team there Max. I bet you are lined up to take the hit on a winning lotto ticket too. You know... for all the tax problems and all.

How about let's redo the scene. He is beating the crap out him, just laying him low. Remember the gun that fell early in the fight. Ofc Krispy Kreme gets thrown across the room, having him land near the gun. He makes a last ditch effort by grabbing the gun. Baldwin sees the axe, grabs it, and throws it tomahawk style, thudding satisfyingly into his now limp body. He smirks, turns and walks away. And, cut!
Nice, I like it. If we don't care about realism (donut cop would have curled up like a ball after the first hit), let's just go full tilt the other way.

Although, now that I think about it, throwing it tomahawk style would be an issue with low ceilings. I can hold the ax with the head above my shoulder and swing it down on krispy kreme with great velocity and bury it in his chest. I can't hold the ax by the handle and throw it tomahawk style with that low ceiling with enough force to bury it in his chest. Outdoors, sure, but inside, no. So, now, how do we get the gun on the deck? Maybe he beats the raspberry jelly out of krispy kreme and then leaves him for dead. Krispy comes out the door on the deck and he then throws the tomahawk ax and buries it in his chest.

Nice, I like it. If we don't care about realism (donut cop would have curled up like a ball after the first hit), let's just go full tilt the other way.

Although, now that I think about it, throwing it tomahawk style would be an issue with low ceilings. I can hold the ax with the head above my shoulder and swing it down on krispy kreme with great velocity and bury it in his chest. I can't hold the ax by the handle and throw it tomahawk style with that low ceiling with enough force to bury it in his chest. Outdoors, sure, but inside, no. So, now, how do we get the gun on the deck? Maybe he beats the raspberry jelly out of krispy kreme and then leaves him for dead. Krispy comes out the door on the deck and he then throws the tomahawk ax and buries it in his chest.
Very nice. Or maybe, instead of chucking him, it is still the beatdown, but it ends near the gun. He grabs it, and Baldwin stomps his hand down on it, pinning his arm, grabs the axe and chops off his hand holding the gun. OKK screams in pain, then spits at AB and says, You will never win. AB hefts the axe, buries it in his chest, and smirks, "Already did, #####." And scene.

Very nice. Or maybe, instead of chucking him, it is still the beatdown, but it ends near the gun. He grabs it, and Baldwin stomps his hand down on it, pinning his arm, grabs the axe and chops off his hand holding the gun. OKK screams in pain, then spits at AB and says, You will never win. AB hefts the axe, buries it in his chest, and smirks, "Already did, #####." And scene.
As long as the line is said with his face covered in blood with some spurting in the air dramatic flair, I think that works for me. One other thought is that after burying the ax in OKK, he runs up onto the deck and while the guy misses the helicopter with the machine gun (rearrange the timing for Baldwin greatness) he tomahawks the ax right into the pilot's head and the chopper explodes when it hits the water (it has to explode).

:lmao: Officer Krispy Kreme

This show is kinda like the Blacklist for me. I think it's terrible in many ways, but look forward to watching.

Wow, taking the big hits for the team there Max. I bet you are lined up to take the hit on a winning lotto ticket too. You know... for all the tax problems and all.
That's just who I am. Some people may call me a "hero", but I just feel that it's my responsibility.

That's just who I am. Some people may call me a "hero", but I just feel that it's my responsibility.
:lmao: :hifive:

Users who are viewing this thread