What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New SkyJudge and Implications (1 Viewer)

GroveDiesel

Footballguy
So at some point this year, the league has rolled out a “SkyJudge” or “Replay Assist” process where someone in a booth or someplace can view video of plays and call down to help correct plays during a game without a coach’s challenge or it being a scoring/turnover play. 

What’s crazy is that I don’t ever remember hearing an announcement about it or explanation of how it works. It still seems like the mechanism of how it works still has never been fully explained and it’s not apparent that it’s even in use for every game.

For a process that can have such huge impacts on a game, it’s mind boggling to me that there is little to no information on how it works, when it’s used, what games it’s used in, etc. And there has been virtually no media mention of it or questioning if it either.

Does anyone else find this as bizarre as I do?

And FWIW, when it’s used, it seems to have a pretty large impact in correcting things and preserving coaching challenges as well: Link 

it’s not apparent that it’s even in use for every game.
This I think is the biggest issue.  Some games a terrible call is quickly overturned by the magic eye in the sky and some are completely changed by piss poor officiating.   It's random how this has been implemented and considering how much it effects the games definitely needed at least some explanation.

i forget what the term is, but they have been talking about this all year prior to the season. Rapid replay? Manningcast pointed to this a few times this year, too, saying they don't use it enough and have to wait for ref's to review a play that looks straight forward.

Here's a random article i found dated 4/2021 just typing in "nfl rapid replay" in google. i'm almost certain this came up right around the draft time and seen it mentioned here on the boards too.

I don't remember hearing much on it, but I think anything that can get more calls right is a good thing.  Especially so quickly. 

It's a great thing.

they've been talking about this....literally....all season.

And it's a great thing...has cut challenges way down, and fixed a lot of stuff much more quickly then they did before

Users who are viewing this thread