What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Next 100 TOP SONG OF 1969 - #1 Back In The USSR - The Beatles (1 Viewer)

#48  Build Me Up Buttercup - The Foundations

'Why do you...?'

One of my all-time favorite songs.  A poncho pocket song.  I used to sing along super loud as an assistant manager at a pizza place in the early 80s whenever this came on, made me soo happy.  

Written by Mike D'Abo and Tony Macaulay. D'Abo was lead singer of Manfred Mann, and Macaulay has already been mentioned (see Love Grows Where My Rosemary Goes and Smile A Little Smile For Me Rosemarie.  He liked using Rosemarie(y), lol.  

#47  Love Child - Diana Ross & The Supremes

Mo-F Motown that hits you instantly in the gut so it should be no surprise it only took three weeks to hit the top-ten.  One of the mega-star girl groups.  

Neither founder member Mary Wilson nor more recent addition Cindy Birdsong (replacing Florence Ballard) sang a note on this single. The test run with Motown session group The Andantes as backup singers was issued as the single. Mary claims that this was a move by Berry Gordy to make clear to her and Cindy that they were expendable and further establish his power over them as well as playing up to his protégé/lover Diana Ross. Mary further says that the miming to the number for The Ed Sullivan Show was particularly difficult, knowing she didn't sing on it.

#46 Living In The U.S.A. - Steve Miller Band

'Somebody get me a cheeseburger'

The original Steve Miller Band that included Boz Scaggs had what was described as a psychedelic blues rock sound.  This particular track wasn't the most popular but its a favorite of mine.  Love the harmonica and funky opening bashing down on the organ with the bass.

I guess I wasn't the only who liked this tune as Steve Miller later put out a compilation album in 1990 entitled 'Living In The U.S.A. and this was the first tune on that album.  Also the original album where this tune came from, which was the second album released by Miller entitled Sailor, was voted number 353 in the third edition of Colin Larkin's All Time Top 1000 Albums (2000).

Last edited by a moderator:

The original Steve Miller Band that included Boz Scaggs had what was described as a psychedelic blues rock sound.  This particular track wasn't the most popular but its a favorite of mine.  Love the harmonica and funky opening bashing down on the organ with the bass.

I guess I wasn't the only who liked this tune as Steve Miller later put out a compilation album in 1990 entitled 'Living In The U.S.A. and this was the first tune on that album.  Also the original album where this tune came from, which was the second album released by Miller entitled Sailor, was voted number 353 in the third edition of Colin Larkin's All Time Top 1000 Albums (2000).
This is one of the bands I was surprised had nothing until now. They were quite prolific around this time, releasing two albums in ‘68 and two in ‘69. Sailor (late ‘68) and Brave New World (early ‘69) are among the best of the psychedelic blues rock genre. 

#45 Voodoo Child (Slight Return) - Jimi Hendrix

Only Hendrix song to make it to #1 on the UK charts albeit a week after his death.  Rolling Stone magazine included it at number 102 on their list of the "500 Greatest Songs of All Time".  Hendrix dedicated the album to his groupies, who he called "Electric Ladies."  

This was voted the best guitar riff in rock'n'roll history, by readers of MusicRadar. The website said "From its wah-wah into the the rhythm parts and the astonishing solo, this is still regarded by many as the high watermark of electric guitar expression." Guns n'Roses' "Sweet Child o' Mine" came second in the poll and Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love" third.

And a quick laugh.  Thanks to a studio engineer's error on the master tape's label, this album was nearly called "Electric Landlady."  Lol, conjures up images of Jerry Lewis yelling, 'Hey LAND LADYYYYY', Lol.

#44  White Bird - Its A Beautiful Day

Back in 1975 the big radio station in Cleveland was WMMS and they were putting on a version of A Christmas Carol WMMS, Cleveland 12-24-1975 and my older brother recorded it along with Christmas music that they played and this song was part of their Christmas songs so I always associate it with WMMS A Christmas Carol and with Christmas.  

Love this tune.

Written by David LaFlamme and his then wife Linda LaFlamme (née Neska).  "White Bird" was written in December 1967, in Seattle, Washington. Manager Matthew Katz had moved the band there to polish their act at a Seattle venue before booking them into San Francisco nightclubs. Living in the attic of a Victorian house across the street from Volunteer Park, the band had inadequate food and no transportation during a dreary Seattle winter. 

LaFlamme said:

Where the 'white bird' thing came from ... We were like caged birds in that attic. We had no money, no transportation, the weather was miserable. We were just barely getting by on a very small food allowance provided to us. 

#44  White Bird - Its A Beautiful Day

Back in 1975 the big radio station in Cleveland was WMMS and they were putting on a version of A Christmas Carol WMMS, Cleveland 12-24-1975 and my older brother recorded it along with Christmas music that they played and this song was part of their Christmas songs so I always associate it with WMMS A Christmas Carol and with Christmas.  

Love this tune.

Written by David LaFlamme and his then wife Linda LaFlamme (née Neska).  "White Bird" was written in December 1967, in Seattle, Washington. Manager Matthew Katz had moved the band there to polish their act at a Seattle venue before booking them into San Francisco nightclubs. Living in the attic of a Victorian house across the street from Volunteer Park, the band had inadequate food and no transportation during a dreary Seattle winter. 

LaFlamme said:

Where the 'white bird' thing came from ... We were like caged birds in that attic. We had no money, no transportation, the weather was miserable. We were just barely getting by on a very small food allowance provided to us. 
I had this on my list. Most of your recent picks have not been, as I'm gonna try to do it without resorting to late '68 (unless it was album '68 but single '69). 

To me this has always sounded like a more soothing Jefferson Airplane. Absolutely mesmerizing. 

It's A Beautiful Day was a very unique and influential band. Hope I'm not spotlighting a tune that Pip may use in his countdown, but as many may know, their tune "Bombay Calling" was a major inspiration for the great Deep Purple classic song "Child In Time".  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U64M7AQym8A.

A side plot of "Bombay Calling" is that LaFlamme first recorded this song a few years earlier with his band Orkustra (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OVsqjuOPig), which was founded by a guy named Bobby Beausoleil. Orkustra didn't last long, with LaFlamme subsequently forming It's A Beautiful Day and Beausoleil becoming a prominent and murderous member of Charles Manson's Family. 

#43 With A Little Help From My Friends - Joe Cocker

With Jimmy Page backing him, Joe recorded his version in 3/4 waltz time but the Beatles version was a traditional 4/4.  The Beatles put it out a year earlier, but never released it as a single. When they heard Cocker's version they were blown away to the point that John and Paul sent Cocker a telegram congratulating him and placed an ad in the music papers praising it. 

McCartney said of Cocker's version: "... it was just mind blowing, totally turned the song into a soul anthem and I was forever grateful for him for doing that."

Cocker's version may never have gotten to be such a hit if they hadn't taken the time to take that extra step of praise and then he performed it at Woodstock which launched it into the stratosphere.  

Cocker's version has become so popular, how popular?  You know he distinguished his version when it gets taken on by Sesame Street - With a Little YELP from my Friends and it became the theme song of the TV show The Wonder Years.

It's A Beautiful Day was a very unique and influential band. Hope I'm not spotlighting a tune that Pip may use in his countdown, but as many may know, their tune "Bombay Calling" was a major inspiration for the great Deep Purple classic song "Child In Time".  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U64M7AQym8A.

A side plot of "Bombay Calling" is that LaFlamme first recorded this song a few years earlier with his band Orkustra (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OVsqjuOPig), which was founded by a guy named Bobby Beausoleil. Orkustra didn't last long, with LaFlamme subsequently forming It's A Beautiful Day and Beausoleil becoming a prominent and murderous member of Charles Manson's Family. 
Don’t let ideas of what I may or may not pick restrict your comments in this thread. 

I will actually have something to say about Child in Time in another thread today. 

Unfortunately Manson drew in some people who were actually part of the countercultural music scene. Heck, he even had a relationship with Dennis Wilson (who thankfully wasn’t part of his cult).

Don’t let ideas of what I may or may not pick restrict your comments in this thread. 

I will actually have something to say about Child in Time in another thread today. 

Unfortunately Manson drew in some people who were actually part of the countercultural music scene. Heck, he even had a relationship with Dennis Wilson (who thankfully wasn’t part of his cult).
Yeah, the Dennis Wilson connection is well known. He let the family live with them for some time before he got too scared of them.

Did you see the 6-part Manson documentary a few months ago on Epix? It was nothing new, as I've closely followed the Manson story for many years, but I thought it was the most comprehensive story other than the Helter Skelter book itself.  

Yeah, the Dennis Wilson connection is well known. He let the family live with them for some time before he got too scared of them.

Did you see the 6-part Manson documentary a few months ago on Epix? It was nothing new, as I've closely followed the Manson story for many years, but I thought it was the most comprehensive story other than the Helter Skelter book itself.  
I did not. But I did see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood! 😆

I haven't but read an article a few years ago DIRECTLY linking Charles Manson with more than a few murders that took place close to the canyon where the cult was.  

Did the Netflix doc mention anything about murders that took place before Tate directly linked to Charles Manson?

I haven't but read an article a few years ago DIRECTLY linking Charles Manson with more than a few murders that took place close to the canyon where the cult was.  

Did the Netflix doc mention anything about murders that took place before Tate directly linked to Charles Manson?
There was a lot on the Gary Hinman murder, which Beausoleil was convicted of and tied to Manson. Also Manson's attorney for the trial who disappeared and was found murdered. But mostly on Tate-LaBianca obviously.

Cliché rock hedonism historic moment in history.

My brother saw him in the mid 70s.  Said he was guzzling Jack straight from the bottle and went behind some speakers and projectile vomited and went right back to singing, never missed a beat. 
Guess he was feelin' alright after the boot and rally.

There was a lot on the Gary Hinman murder, which Beausoleil was convicted of and tied to Manson. Also Manson's attorney for the trial who disappeared and was found murdered. But mostly on Tate-LaBianca obviously.
Oh their was a string of murders that took place well before Tate-LaBianca let alone the trial.

Here's chilling encounter that broke bad.

Bryan Cranston Recalls Chilling Encounter With Charles Manson: "I Was Within His Grasp" Actor tweeted "luck was with me" on that day in the late '60s

Bryan Cranston Recalls Chilling Encounter With Charles Manson: "I Was Within His Grasp"

Actor tweeted "luck was with me" on that day in the late '60s

Bryan Cranston's tweet about his close encounter with Charles Manson will give you chills.

The 61-year-old actor took to Twitter Monday to share his response to Manson's death. He also gave his followers details of when he saw Manson in 1968, when Cranston was about 12 years old. 

"Hearing Charles Manson is dead, I shuddered," Cranston wrote. "I was within his grasp just one year before he committed brutal murder in 1969. Luck was with me when a cousin and I went horseback riding at the Span Ranch, and saw the little man with crazy eyes whom the other hippies called Charlie."...
Go to the link for the rest of the read.

#42  While My Guitar Gently Weeps - The Beatles

“‘While My Guitar Gently Weeps’ was just a simple study based on the theory that everything has some purpose for being there at that given moment,” George explained. “I was thinking that anything I see when I open a book, I’m going to write a song about. So I opened this book and I saw ‘gently weeps.’ I shut the book and then I started the tune.”

136th on its list of "The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time", seventh on the "100 Greatest Guitar Songs of All Time", and at number 10 on its list of "The Beatles 100 Greatest Songs". Clapton's performance was ranked 42nd in Guitar World's 2008 list of the "100 Greatest Guitar Solos".

When George first proposed the song the rest of the group wasn't enthusiastic but George kept on.

George:  "When we actually started recording this, it was just me playing the acoustic guitar and singing it, and nobody was interested. Well, Ringo probably was, but John and Paul weren’t. When I went home that night, I was really disappointed because I thought, ‘Well, this is really quite a good song; it’s not as if it’s crap!’ And the next day I happened to drive back into London with Eric [Clapton], and I suddenly said, ‘Why don’t you come play on this track?’

“And he said, ‘Oh, I couldn’t do that; the others wouldn’t like it…’ But I finally said, ‘Well, damn, it’s my song, and I’d like you to come down.’ So he did, and everybody was good as gold because he was there. I sang it with the acoustic guitar with Paul on piano, and Eric and Ringo. Later, Paul overdubbed bass. Then we listened back to it and Eric said, ‘Ah, there’s a problem, though; it’s not Beatlesy enough.’ So we put the song through the ADT [automatic double tracker] to wobble it a bit.”

“‘While My Guitar Gently Weeps’ was just a simple study based on the theory that everything has some purpose for being there at that given moment,” George explained. “I was thinking that anything I see when I open a book, I’m going to write a song about. So I opened this book and I saw ‘gently weeps.’ I shut the book and then I started the tune.”

136th on its list of "The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time", seventh on the "100 Greatest Guitar Songs of All Time", and at number 10 on its list of "The Beatles 100 Greatest Songs". Clapton's performance was ranked 42nd in Guitar World's 2008 list of the "100 Greatest Guitar Solos".

When George first proposed the song the rest of the group wasn't enthusiastic but George kept on.

George:  "When we actually started recording this, it was just me playing the acoustic guitar and singing it, and nobody was interested. Well, Ringo probably was, but John and Paul weren’t. When I went home that night, I was really disappointed because I thought, ‘Well, this is really quite a good song; it’s not as if it’s crap!’ And the next day I happened to drive back into London with Eric [Clapton], and I suddenly said, ‘Why don’t you come play on this track?’

“And he said, ‘Oh, I couldn’t do that; the others wouldn’t like it…’ But I finally said, ‘Well, damn, it’s my song, and I’d like you to come down.’ So he did, and everybody was good as gold because he was there. I sang it with the acoustic guitar with Paul on piano, and Eric and Ringo. Later, Paul overdubbed bass. Then we listened back to it and Eric said, ‘Ah, there’s a problem, though; it’s not Beatlesy enough.’ So we put the song through the ADT [automatic double tracker] to wobble it a bit.”
This alternates with Tomorrow Never Knows as my #1 Beatles song. 

This alternates with Tomorrow Never Knows as my #1 Beatles song. 
Lot of people have it as their number one.  I just can't get past some of the lyrics or I'd have it higher. 

I kinda cringe...

I don't know how you were diverted
You were perverted too
I don't know how you were inverted
No one alerted you

Spineshank cover is right up there with Kitties Run Like Hell for best metal cover of a classic rock song 

#41  Guinnevere - Crosby Stills & Nash

The very first big concert I went to was up in the foothills of the Rockies in Colorado at Red Rocks amphitheater to see CSN.  I had to hitch hike to Boulder where my brother picked me up.  It was a perfect night, around 70 degrees.  You could see planes taking off in the background at Stapleton Airport.  

Outside of the guy puking to our right and a quick break in the action for Crosby who was overweight and had to suck on some oxygen the group was great. 

THEN....

They played Guinnevere. 

I've never heard anything like it ever... Simply amazing.

David Crosby, who wrote this track, told Rolling Stone magazine about it: "That is a very unusual song, it's in a very strange tuning with strange time signatures....

In the same Rolling Stone interview Graham Nash added: "Crosby sent me a tape of 'Guinnevere' in 1968 and it was one of the things that [made me] really realize that this man was a profound thinker and a great musician. I still have people coming up to me saying, you know, 'I broke my hand trying to play 'Guinnevere.'

The very first big concert I went to was up in the foothills of the Rockies in Colorado at Red Rocks amphitheater to see CSN.  I had to hitch hike to Boulder where my brother picked me up.  It was a perfect night, around 70 degrees.  You could see planes taking off in the background at Stapleton Airport.  

Outside of the guy puking to our right and a quick break in the action for Crosby who was overweight and had to suck on some oxygen the group was great. 

THEN....

They played Guinnevere. 

David Crosby, who wrote this track, told Rolling Stone magazine about it: "That is a very unusual song, it's in a very strange tuning with strange time signatures....

In the same Rolling Stone interview Graham Nash added: "Crosby sent me a tape of 'Guinnevere' in 1968 and it was one of the things that [made me] really realize that this man was a profound thinker and a great musician. I still have people coming up to me saying, you know, 'I broke my hand trying to play 'Guinnevere.'
Best song on the album IMO. And that’s obviously saying a lot.

Bracie Smathers said:

THEN....

They played Guinnevere. 

Like Joni Mitchell, Crosby has always written in weird tunings. 

There are four tracks left from this album. One isn't very good. One is iconic and I figure it will be high on your list. That leaves me to hope that the other two are left off. 

#40  I Wanna Be Your Dog - The Stooges

The other song I was shocked wasn't on Tim's list where sleigh bells ring, are ya listening.

Iggy puts on his kinky boots to take an audience dive into this punk classic. 

This track is well known for its three-chord riff and a continuously repeated single piano note, played by Velvet Underground founding member John Cale, who also produced the track. These elements, along with the heavily distorted sound, has lead critics to consider the track an early example of heavy metal and punk music.

Well into his 60s, this song still inspired Iggy Pop to rekindle his notorious stage antics, particularly the stage dive: "because it is our oldest, and most very, very memorable number, I do it," Iggy told Classic Rock Revisited. "I also do it on that song because I push so hard on the first two versus that I can't think of anything to do by the time the guitar solo comes around. When the guitar solo comes, I tend to do a stage dive to go with the solo."

#45 Voodoo Child (Slight Return) - Jimi Hendrix

Only Hendrix song to make it to #1 on the UK charts albeit a week after his death.  Rolling Stone magazine included it at number 102 on their list of the "500 Greatest Songs of All Time".  Hendrix dedicated the album to his groupies, who he called "Electric Ladies."  

This was voted the best guitar riff in rock'n'roll history, by readers of MusicRadar. The website said "From its wah-wah into the the rhythm parts and the astonishing solo, this is still regarded by many as the high watermark of electric guitar expression." Guns n'Roses' "Sweet Child o' Mine" came second in the poll and Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love" third.

And a quick laugh.  Thanks to a studio engineer's error on the master tape's label, this album was nearly called "Electric Landlady."  Lol, conjures up images of Jerry Lewis yelling, 'Hey LAND LADYYYYY', Lol.
Looks like someone ended up using that name.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Landlady

SOMEBODY GIVE ME A CHEESEBURGER!

...felt this needed a bit more emphasis ...

#39  Everybody's Talkin' - Harry Nilsson

This song is so haunting and brings me back to the sixties.

The song which famously scores the movie Midnight Cowboy wasn't written by Harry, it originally was done by Fred Neil who never achieved commercial success as you can tell by his version.  Woof.  The character of Joe Buck in Midnight Cowboy was seen as a parallel to Neil who struggled for fame. 

The track 'nearly' never happened.  Neil cut the album but his manager said he needed one more track.  Neil was tired and wanted to go home.  Neil wrote from his heart about wanting to retreat from other people to the ocean.  "Everybody's Talkin'", recorded in one take, was the result.

Nilsson, who has a much better voice earned him the Grammy for best Contemporary male vocalist for his version.  Harry put this out a year earlier but pulled it and used it in the movie where it achieved more more success propelling his career to new heights in the early 70s.   

#38  The Midnight Special - Creedence Clearwater Revival

Traditional folk song done CCR style which goes further back than 1934 the state of Louisiana at Angola State Prison with Lead Belly.  The original song can't be tracked down as it had many names with different stanzas.

CCR's version gives a nod to Lead Belly as Fogerty (John) noted: "Lead Belly was a big influence. I learned about him through Pete Seeger. When you listen to those guys, you're getting down to the root of the tree." 

Traditional folk song done CCR style which goes further back than 1934 the state of Louisiana at Angola State Prison with Lead Belly.  The original song can't be tracked down as it had many names with different stanzas.

CCR's version gives a nod to Lead Belly as Fogerty (John) noted: "Lead Belly was a big influence. I learned about him through Pete Seeger. When you listen to those guys, you're getting down to the root of the tree." 
This was one of several CCR songs on my list for consideration. Since they put out so much stuff in '69, hopefully you won't take ALL of them. 

Great song - always reminds me of the opening scene of Twilight Zone: The Movie.

#37  Oh Happy Day - The Edwin Hawkins Singers

Their had been spiritual and gospel songs that had charted but "Oh Happy Day" was the first pure gospel to cross over. From a Protestant hymn that dates from 1755.

The story about how it become a hit is amazing.

Edwin Hawkins was a pianist at Ephesian Church of God in Christ in Berkeley, California when he came up with the popular Latin/soul version of this song that he recorded there in the summer of 1968. In an October 23, 2009 interview with the San Francisco Chronicle, he explained that "Oh Happy Day" was one of eight arrangements he put together for his Northern California State Youth Choir, which was made up of 46 singers ages 17 to 25, and the plan was to sell an album of the songs to finance a trip to a church youth conference in Washington, D.C.

The tracks were quickly recorded live in church on a two-track tape machine (industry standard at the time was eight-track), but the records weren't pressed in time for the trip. They did attend the conference, and the choir placed second in a singing competition, where they performed two of Hawkins' arrangements, but not "Oh Happy Day," which Hawkins said was "not our favorite song."

Five hundred copies of the album were made, and one of them found its way to the popular DJ Abe "Voco" Kesh at KSAN-FM in San Francisco, who put it in rotation. Other stations followed, and Buddah Records signed Hawkins to a record deal, putting the album and the "Oh Happy Day" album in wide release.

Great song - always reminds me of the opening scene of Twilight Zone: The Movie.
Good snag.  Its been decades since I've seen that flick but the opening gag is a classic. 

The thing I recall about the movie is the horrific accident.  I only recently connected the Hollywood demise of John Landis to his response and how the industry shunned him for it.  
When I looked up that Twilight Zone clip, I noticed another clip with actual footage of the accident. Curiosity and all, I watched it - wish I hadn’t. :(

Bracie Smathers said:
#37  Oh Happy Day - The Edwin Hawkins Singers

Their had been spiritual and gospel songs that had charted but "Oh Happy Day" was the first pure gospel to cross over. From a Protestant hymn that dates from 1755.

The story about how it become a hit is amazing.
This was on my list. Amazing how something could come from out of the blue like that. Back then, all it could take was one influential person promoting something. 

#36 Birthday - The Beatles

The Boyds strike again.   Backing vocals were added by Pattie (Boyd) Harrison and Yoko Ono.

"We thought, ‘Why not make something up?’ So we got a riff going and arranged it around this riff. We said, ‘We’ll go to there for a few bars, then we’ll do this for a few bars.’ We added some lyrics, then we got the friends who were there to join in on the chorus. So that is 50-50 John and me, made up on the spot and recorded all on the same evening. I don’t recall it being anybody’s birthday in particular but it might have been, but the other reason for doing it is that, if you have a song that refers to Christmas or a birthday, it adds to the life of the song, if it’s a good song, because people will pull it out on birthday shows, so I think there was a little bit of that at the back of our minds."

Paul McCartney
Many Years From Now, Barry Miles

Lennon said in his Playboy interview in 1980: "'Birthday' was written in the studio. Just made up on the spot. I think Paul wanted to write a song like 'Happy Birthday Baby', the old fifties hit. But it was sort of made up in the studio. It was a piece of garbage."

So bitter John, so bitter, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread