What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFC East Tight Ends (1 Viewer)

jeff_eaglz

Of the Top 10 TEs from this season, 4 reside in the NFC East:(Rank - Name - Yds - Rec - TDs - Points) 1 Gates,Antonio SD 1101 89 10 170.1 2 Shockey,Jeremy NYG 891 65 7 131.1 3 Heap,Todd BAL 855 75 7 127.5 4 Cooley,Chris WAS 774 71 7 119.4 5 Crumpler,Alge ATL 877 65 5 117.7 6 Witten,Jason DAL 757 66 6 111.7 7 Gonzalez,Tony KC 905 78 2 102.5 8 McMichael,Randy MIA 582 60 5 88.2 9 Smith,L.J. PHI 682 61 3 86.2 10 Stevens,Jerramy SEA 554 45 5 85.4 Of these 10, four of are from the NFC East, all with 60+ catches, and it could be argued that Shockey and Witten did not perform as well as expected.Aside from Baltimore and Philly, all these teams were winning teams with three making the playoffs.Any trends to discern from this? Just something I noticed (all 4 from NFC East) and thought I'd pass that observation along. I would expect all 4 to have similar or better years next season as the TE position continues to contribute greatly in the NFL with the current "no contact after 5 yards" rules in effect.

Up and down the division, without question they have the best TEs.. The AFC North is the best division of long-snappers without question though....I don't really understand the point of such an observation. :)

Up and down the division, without question they have the best TEs.. The AFC North is the best division of long-snappers without question though....

I don't really understand the point of such an observation. :)
Nahhhh, I'd have to say the AFC East has the best snappers...those cheerleaders are HOT. :P

If Winslow Jr. would ever get healthy, the AFC North could make a push with Heap, Miller, and Winslow. But now, I'd rank them 3rd behind the NFC East, and AFC West. If the Broncos develop that BBall player (forget his name right now), they could move up to #1.

If Winslow Jr. would ever get healthy, the AFC North could make a push with Heap, Miller, and Winslow. But now, I'd rank them 3rd behind the NFC East, and AFC West. If the Broncos develop that BBall player (forget his name right now), they could move up to #1.
Here he is:Wesley Duke

As for a "point" - never said I had one to make - it was just an observation.

It does give credence to the increased usage of TEs throughout the NFL. The "Big 3" (Shockey, Gonzo and Gates) theory became the "Big 6" last year (adding Witten, Heap and Crumpler), and now I think you can add even more for 2006. The dropoff won't be that large at all after 6 next year. LJ Smith, Cooley, McMichael among others will make finding 10-12 quality TEs next season much easier.

Maybe because it is a division with strong running backs and weak wide receivers. This division is know for good defense, strong running games, and short passing.The WRs from the East were: TO (for part of the season), SMoss, Plax, and Keyshawn, Glenn, Toomer, and scrubs.Take the AFC West. The teams with great TEs have decent (not great WRs). KC has Kennison. SD has McCardell and Parker. While Oakland, having no decent fantasy TE has Moss and Porter.Is this a coincident? I do not think so.

Maybe because it is a division with strong running backs and weak wide receivers. This division is know for good defense, strong running games, and short passing.

The WRs from the East were: TO (for part of the season), SMoss, Plax, and Keyshawn, Glenn, Toomer, and scrubs.

Take the AFC West. The teams with great TEs have decent (not great WRs). KC has Kennison. SD has McCardell and Parker. While Oakland, having no decent fantasy TE has Moss and Porter.

Is this a coincident? I do not think so.
Not a bad observation. That very thing led me to the Tennessee TEs this season.

I don't think I'd say that Shockey underachieved this year. 900 yards and 7 TD's is pretty respectable for a TE. Not to mention he stayed healthier than previous seasons.I'd rank them:ShockeyCooleyWitten SmithWitten may have taken a step back this year due to blocking reponsibilities (something that plagues Shockey the previous two seasons). There were a lot of games where the Cowboys needed to give Pettiti help. Cooley took full advantage of his opportunities. If I had a concern about him it's his size. He's not as big as the the prototype and I've seen him miss plays after big hits this year. I like the kid but as a dynasty owner I'd be nervous about him holding up on a consistent basis. That being said, the Redskins tendency to use him as an h-back gets him plenty of looks.

id rather have the afc west with gates and gonzo
Top to bottom though the AFC West doesn't compare well.Gates > Shockey and Gonzo > Cooley, but Witten >> Jeb Putzier and LJ Smith is >> Courtney Anderson.

Top to bottom though the AFC West doesn't compare well.Gates > Shockey and Gonzo > Cooley, but Witten >> Jeb Putzier and LJ Smith is >> Courtney Anderson.
If Denver had a stud TE still, they would own this award. Denver historically produces as studly of results for TEs that it does for RBs, but they've recently been platooning. Denver's TEs caught 66 balls for 805 yards last year, and 60 for 673 this year.There is one VERY big flag to be concerned about, though, when discussing the potential of Denver's BBall TE Duke (other than "will he ever be a decent TE"). Traditionally, Denver was all over its TEs in the red zone. This year, however, Kyle Johnson (the FB) has become the biggest receiving threat in the red zone. To demonstrate- Between 2000 and 2004, Denver's TEs caught 7, 10, 4, 9, and 7 TDs (Sharpe was in town for two of those seasons, the other 3 were without him). This year, they only caught TWO, and Kyle Johnson raked in 5 more (plus one rushing). If this continues, Denver's TEs will probably not return to the Shannon Sharpe level numbers that many people got used to from them, even if one guy DOES step up and become the dominant guy.

Just something to keep an eye on and to temper your enthusiasm with.

Whats wrong with Jeb Putzier? :shrug:

If Denver had a stud TE still, they would own this award. Denver historically produces as studly of results for TEs that it does for RBs, but they've recently been platooning. Denver's TEs caught 66 balls for 805 yards last year, and 60 for 673 this year.There is one VERY big flag to be concerned about, though, when discussing the potential of Denver's BBall TE Duke (other than "will he ever be a decent TE"). Traditionally, Denver was all over its TEs in the red zone. This year, however, Kyle Johnson (the FB) has become the biggest receiving threat in the red zone. To demonstrate- Between 2000 and 2004, Denver's TEs caught 7, 10, 4, 9, and 7 TDs (Sharpe was in town for two of those seasons, the other 3 were without him). This year, they only caught TWO, and Kyle Johnson raked in 5 more (plus one rushing). If this continues, Denver's TEs will probably not return to the Shannon Sharpe level numbers that many people got used to from them, even if one guy DOES step up and become the dominant guy.

Just something to keep an eye on and to temper your enthusiasm with.
SSOG - no question on your observations, but I would like to point out one important omission.Former TE turned OL Dwayne Carswell also caught 2 TDs this year, so while Denver only threw one each TEs Stephen Alexander and Wesley Duke, including Dwayne Carswell does bring that total up to 4.

Note also that Jeb Putzier, while being the #3 receiver in Denver, caught 0 TDs.

Kansas City had issues with TEs scoring this year - Gonzo only had 2 - yet people still consider the KC TE to be a big position in that offense. The TDs vary but the catches are there.

All that aside - it does seem that the Denver TE in 2005 is more of a "gimmick" goal line TD receiver than an intended receiver. Duke caught just 2 balls, and one of them was a goal line TD. In fact, all 4 TDs by TEs were from inside the 5. Putzier is a decent pass catcher but not much of a TD threat. Not sure why - he seems to be underutilized - perhaps he is in blocking more often on pass blocking assignments.

SSOG - no question on your observations, but I would like to point out one important omission.

Former TE turned OL Dwayne Carswell also caught 2 TDs this year, so while Denver only threw one each TEs Stephen Alexander and Wesley Duke, including Dwayne Carswell does bring that total up to 4.

Note also that Jeb Putzier, while being the #3 receiver in Denver, caught 0 TDs.

Kansas City had issues with TEs scoring this year - Gonzo only had 2 - yet people still consider the KC TE to be a big position in that offense. The TDs vary but the catches are there.

All that aside - it does seem that the Denver TE in 2005 is more of a "gimmick" goal line TD receiver than an intended receiver. Duke caught just 2 balls, and one of them was a goal line TD. In fact, all 4 TDs by TEs were from inside the 5. Putzier is a decent pass catcher but not much of a TD threat. Not sure why - he seems to be underutilized - perhaps he is in blocking more often on pass blocking assignments.
Thank you for reminding me about Carswell- I'd forgotten all about House's 2 TD game in Jax. To return the favor, I'll enlighten you about Putzier.Putzier isn't Denver's starting TE, Alexander is. There's one reason, and one reason only, for this- blocking. Alexander is good at it, Putzier is not. As a result, Putzier racks up all his numbers between the 20s when Denver's in 2-TE sets, but once Denver gets in the red zone, Putzier's no longer on the field. He just isn't a good enough blocker. Instead, Denver usually takes out Putz and brings in a fullback.

When Denver is in the red zone, Stephen Alexander, Rod Smith, and Kyle Johnson are on the field on almost every down. The fourth eligible receiver is a runningback- either Anderson or Bell- and the fifth rotates between Lelie, Putzier, Carswell (before he went out), Cecil Sapp, and occasionally Wesley Duke or Charlie Adams.

Another thing that makes Putz such a threat between the 20s is his speed. He's big and had decent leaping skills, but he's really really fast. Deceptively fast, especially since he runs so upright. Once Denver's in the red zone, Putz can't simply outrun everyone covering him, so he loses effectiveness for the same reason Lelie does.

SSOG - no question on your observations, but I would like to point out one important omission.

Former TE turned OL Dwayne Carswell also caught 2 TDs this year, so while Denver only threw one each TEs Stephen Alexander and Wesley Duke, including Dwayne Carswell does bring that total up to 4.

Thank you for reminding me about Carswell- I'd forgotten all about House's 2 TD game in Jax. To return the favor, I'll enlighten you about Putzier.Putzier isn't Denver's starting TE, Alexander is. There's one reason, and one reason only, for this- blocking. Alexander is good at it, Putzier is not. As a result, Putzier racks up all his numbers between the 20s when Denver's in 2-TE sets, but once Denver gets in the red zone, Putzier's no longer on the field. He just isn't a good enough blocker. Instead, Denver usually takes out Putz and brings in a fullback.

When Denver is in the red zone, Stephen Alexander, Rod Smith, and Kyle Johnson are on the field on almost every down. The fourth eligible receiver is a runningback- either Anderson or Bell- and the fifth rotates between Lelie, Putzier, Carswell (before he went out), Cecil Sapp, and occasionally Wesley Duke or Charlie Adams.

Another thing that makes Putz such a threat between the 20s is his speed. He's big and had decent leaping skills, but he's really really fast. Deceptively fast, especially since he runs so upright. Once Denver's in the red zone, Putz can't simply outrun everyone covering him, so he loses effectiveness for the same reason Lelie does.
Interesting - I've seen at least 6 Denver games and hadn't noticed the personnel pattern with Jeb. I've seen the Kyle entry, but never realized who left. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread