What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL viewership off 11% YOY (6 Viewers)

The game itself has been tough to watch at times over the last few years.  Instant replay has really slowed the game down at times and to make it worse they still mess the call up too many times.   The catch / no catch rule is still broken.  Even commentators routinely comment they don't know what a catch is anymore.  Quarterback play is worse than a few years back.  Penalties completely change the outcome of games more than other sports.  They are the equivalent of a turnover in spots and too many times they change the outcome of games.   Stupid fines and taunting penalties. Selective free speech allows you to show awareness to certain cancers and not others.  Kneel for the anthem but not put a sticker on the back of a helmet.  So many more things.

i follow online but that's about it nowadays.  I gave up on the nba and mlb probably 5 years ago and  I feel like the nfl is done for me too.  I can't fathom paying grown, mostly whiny men, this kind of money to play a game.  I just can't understand why people line up to spend 1000s on this crap.

For me, there are a bunch of things that make the game less compelling than it used to be.  Parity means that as almost all the teams are mediocre and thin.  Way too many commercials.  No running game.  And horrible officiating combined with too many crazy rules.

Here's a football problem. I went for a 30 mile bike ride and listened to the SECOND HALF of the Texas vs OU game on the radio. And, I'm not sure exactly Lance Armstrong, mostly because I'm slow and I have two ####. Football games are such a time commitment.

For me, there are a bunch of things that make the game less compelling than it used to be.  Parity means that as almost all the teams are mediocre and thin.  Way too many commercials.  No running game.  And horrible officiating combined with too many crazy rules.
The parity bit is interesting.  I don't think any team has dominated as much as Brady and Bill in the Super Bowl era.  Besides the Jets several years back, no other team in that division has been consistently competitive.   That being said, how many dominant teams are there outside of NE in the NFL?  I would say zero.  And the other side, CLE, DET, CHI, SF, and the AFC south are awful.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I grew up watching half a day Saturday and all day Sunday.   Insisted on direct tv when I got married.  Now i have an 8 year old and the deal with my wife is  "pick one".  It's Saturday and it's not even close.   

Forget all the upside of college for a minute it's the NFL that sucks.  Kickoff, punt, commercial, TD, commercial, kickoff, commercial, instant replay on 2d down/comercial, 2 min warning commercial........  every other play has a penalty  and a ten minute discussion and it has nothing to do with getting it right and everything to do with adding 4 more commercials.   Most games are 3:30 now at a min.... it sucks.
As opposed to your Saturday college games that last for 4 hours?

Honestly, it feels like fantasy football killed football.  When I got into fantasy football it was because I like watching football. Then football became about who would score the most points during the season and week-to-week and if a guy who was listed as questionable would play.  Then dynasty came along and instead of worrying about one season it became predicting the entire careers of players, when their their dropoff would happen, could I trade them at their peak value, etc.  Then came Thursday games and between waivers and Thursday games there was no down time the entire season.  Then came a non-stop ad campaign from daily fantasy sports that drove even those us who didn't play crazy. A bunch of us just quit fantasy football and lost our enthusiasm for watching football with it.

And what was the point of it?  10 cents an hour for your time if you win and being told "no one cares about your team" any time you mention anything about it. 

How much will postponing today's Nats v. Dogers game and rescheduling it for 1:08 tomorrow afternoon affect NFL ratings?

I grew up watching half a day Saturday and all day Sunday.   Insisted on direct tv when I got married.  Now i have an 8 year old and the deal with my wife is  "pick one".  It's Saturday and it's not even close.   

Forget all the upside of college for a minute it's the NFL that sucks.  Kickoff, punt, commercial, TD, commercial, kickoff, commercial, instant replay on 2d down/comercial, 2 min warning commercial........  every other play has a penalty  and a ten minute discussion and it has nothing to do with getting it right and everything to do with adding 4 more commercials.   Most games are 3:30 now at a min.... it sucks.
yup, knocked this TN-TXAM game out in a quick 2 1/2 hours.

Honestly I haven't watched the last couple of weekends because I didn't want to hear about the anthem political stuff so I skipped kickoff and then never got back to watch the rest of the games.  First time in a while I haven't watched at all.  I don't want to hear politics in my NFL.
if you forget to go back to the games because you skipped the kickoff, i don't think that the politics has that much to do with it. i think you are not interested in the nfl that much.

I'm sure it's a combination of Kapernick anger, overaturation of the product, watering down of the product, nice weather and OTHER. 

The national anthem thing seems like a pretty weak reason not to watch a football game. The anthem is only like 2 minutes long at the beginning of the game, most of the time there is a commercial break between the anthem and the opening kickoff. Seems like the perfect time to make sure you have some snacks and cold beverages ready for the 1st quarter.

I enjoy watching football more than any other sport but I do find myself tuning out of the Thursday night games more often than not.
It doesn't help all the Thursday night games have sucked so far.

Jets/Bills

Texans/Patriots

Dolphins/Bengals

Cardinals/49ers

The parity bit is interesting.  I don't think any team has dominated as much as Brady and Bill in the Super Bowl era.  Besides the Jets several years back, no other team in that division has been consistently competitive.   That being said, how many dominant teams are there outside of NE in the NFL?  I would say zero.  And the other side, CLE, DET, CHI, SF, and the AFC south are awful.  
The 1966 - 1985 Dallas Cowboys beg to differ.

Great topic.  The NFL got SO big thru the late 90's/00's that they took the strategy of being as conservative as possible to control it.  And they've kept that strategy.  But the other leagues are getting pretty creative and making up some ground.  I expect a pretty drastic change in leadership mindset over the next few years...will be interesting to see where it goes.

It doesn't help all the Thursday night games have sucked so far.

Jets/Bills

Texans/Patriots

Dolphins/Bengals

Cardinals/49ers
Not only that, but having the Horrid Chicago Bears (Spoken as a Bears fan) for a Monday and a Sunday nite game doesn't help either.

Their terrible way of selecting which games get played in each market doesn't help either. 

Considering today that the 4-0 Broncos play the 3-1 Falcons and the 4-0 Vikings play the 3-1 Texans, yet neither of those games is on here in St. Louis.  Meanwhile, we are stuck with NE/Cleveland, Detroit/Philly and Cincinnati/Dallas (when none of those cities are close to St. Louis). It makes zero sense. I get that Dallas is always the game of the week (which is a whole other issue) and will alway be on TV, but getting stuck with the Lions and Browns games is awful. 

The game itself has been tough to watch at times over the last few years.  Instant replay has really slowed the game down at times and to make it worse they still mess the call up too many times.   The catch / no catch rule is still broken.  Even commentators routinely comment they don't know what a catch is anymore.  Quarterback play is worse than a few years back.  Penalties completely change the outcome of games more than other sports.  They are the equivalent of a turnover in spots and too many times they change the outcome of games.   Stupid fines and taunting penalties. Selective free speech allows you to show awareness to certain cancers and not others.  Kneel for the anthem but not put a sticker on the back of a helmet.  So many more things.
The game has become boring with the rules that don't make sense and the horrid calls. The commercial breaks are brutal. I find myself switching to something else during a commercial break and not switching back. I find better things to watch. 

I think FF has helped NFL viewership.  Without FF, the NFL would have been fading for the last decade.  

I hate Thursday night games. The NFL is watering itself down when it should be something that the fans look forward to. The NFL belongs on Sunday's and Monday night. Too many Thursday night games involve crummy teams that nobody wants to watch anyway. I like to watch good football. The 49ers are as opposite of good football as it gets.  

The drive for money has become too obvious.  It's a business so I think people understand that the owners are out to make money, but they have no shame with regard to how far they will go.

The political BS doesn't help.  I want to watch a game.  I don't want the first 30 minutes spent recounting which players raised a fist, which ones kneeled, which ones did jumping jacks for freedom, and which ones feel they are underpaid.

The drive for money has become too obvious.  It's a business so I think people understand that the owners are out to make money, but they have no shame with regard to how far they will go.

The political BS doesn't help.  I want to watch a game.  I don't want the first 30 minutes spent recounting which players raised a fist, which ones kneeled, which ones did jumping jacks for freedom, and which ones feel they are underpaid.
Nothing more obvious about the NFL's greed than what they did to St. Louis with the Rams. They let Stan carpet bomb a city because they liked the pretty pictures of his new plaything in Inglewood.

Factor in much of the city of St. Louis in that 11% drop. I truly don't think they really gained much viewership in LA putting the insipid Rams there.

The insane number of commercials when watching a game ruins the experience a bit. TNF notoriously just sucks and the on field product isn't very entertaining, plus I don't feel like sitting through a 3+ hour game on Thursday night. 

And I just think the game has changed for the worst. I mean, let's be serious. Did anyone go into watching this past SNF game (PIT vs KC) and actually think KC had a chance vs PIT in PIT? There are too many games like that. Where it's obvious which team really is a severe long shot to win. I kind of think it comes down to the growing importance of having an elite QB today. I think the number of strategic ways that you can win an NFL game has decreased over the years. 

To me, I'll pay more attention come playoffs when the games aren't super pointless to watch. There's about 20-24 teams I really just don't care for that much to sit and watch a game for 3+ hours. When it's playoff time, I'll watch. When the best teams are left, I'll watch. When it's TEN vs CLE or something like that, yeah, I'll find something more productive to do. I know those two teams are going nowhere, so in my mind, what's the point?

Too many times this year, I've come away from watching games on Sunday and thinking, "Well, that was a waste of time. Completely pointless that I just wasted my day away watching awful games." Maybe I'm watching the wrong games, I don't know. I also don't have RZ/Sunday Ticket, but in reality, if the games in my view were better, I probably would buy it. But since the majority of games just aren't that entertaining to me, I just don't see the point in forking over the money.

Wow. I thought I was alone. The NFL is boring. I haven't intentionally watched a game in probably 10 years. I'd rather watch a regular season baseball game between two last place teams that I don't care about than any NFL game. 

Everything is cyclical in nature, including human interest.

I've watched much less football this year and paid much less attention to magic football. 

Best way to watch live is still redzone & best way to watch taped are the 12 minute highlight films NFL network puts on demand.

The insane number of commercials when watching a game ruins the experience a bit. TNF notoriously just sucks and the on field product isn't very entertaining, plus I don't feel like sitting through a 3+ hour game on Thursday night. 

And I just think the game has changed for the worst. I mean, let's be serious. Did anyone go into watching this past SNF game (PIT vs KC) and actually think KC had a chance vs PIT in PIT? There are too many games like that. Where it's obvious which team really is a severe long shot to win. I kind of think it comes down to the growing importance of having an elite QB today. I think the number of strategic ways that you can win an NFL game has decreased over the years. 

To me, I'll pay more attention come playoffs when the games aren't super pointless to watch. There's about 20-24 teams I really just don't care for that much to sit and watch a game for 3+ hours. When it's playoff time, I'll watch. When the best teams are left, I'll watch. When it's TEN vs CLE or something like that, yeah, I'll find something more productive to do. I know those two teams are going nowhere, so in my mind, what's the point?

Too many times this year, I've come away from watching games on Sunday and thinking, "Well, that was a waste of time. Completely pointless that I just wasted my day away watching awful games." Maybe I'm watching the wrong games, I don't know. I also don't have RZ/Sunday Ticket, but in reality, if the games in my view were better, I probably would buy it. But since the majority of games just aren't that entertaining to me, I just don't see the point in forking over the money.
This (bolded) argument is ludicrous. There are more upsets in the NFL now than ever before. There is (arguably) more parity now than ever before. Do you really think even half of the games 20 or 30 years ago were competitive? If so, you're deluding yourself.

A huge topic on this very board a few years ago was about whether or not parity was good for the NFL. Some folks actually preferred having 2 or 3 teams dominating the landscape and crushing all opponents.

Attendance at the game is up a little, Sunday afternoon games are only down 3% on TV.

Primetime games are the only ones that are down.

I think people get spoiled by Redzone and lose patience with the slow pace of the game when there is only one game on. 

Attendance at the game is up a little, Sunday afternoon games are only down 3% on TV.

Primetime games are the only ones that are down.

I think people get spoiled by Redzone and lose patience with the slow pace of the game when there is only one game on. 
Im very spoiled with the Redzone channel. I dont like watching other games with all the commercials. 

As for prime time games, people have what 9,000 satellite channels, 30 that are worth a ####. 

People are cutting the cords as well (see cutting the cord thread), more people are streaming online. 

My dad was never a huge NFL fan, but he would watch and tape games at his leisure.  I just spoke with him last week and he basically started foaming at the mouth and throwing out F-bombs, said he hasn't watched/taped a game in a couple of weeks.

He's a Vietnam vet, so his reasons for not watching the games are obvious.  He and every single one of his veteran buddies are boycotting the NFL.  Can't wait to see his reaction when NBA games get started... 

My dad was never a huge NFL fan, but he would watch and tape games at his leisure.  I just spoke with him last week and he basically started foaming at the mouth and throwing out F-bombs, said he hasn't watched/taped a game in a couple of weeks.

He's a Vietnam vet, so his reasons for not watching the games are obvious.  He and every single one of his veteran buddies are boycotting the NFL.  Can't wait to see his reaction when NBA games get started... 
I have memories of my dad, also a Vietnam vet, yelling at the TV during Sunday night baseball....his favorite line was "#### you, Joe Morgan!".

Good times.

The concussion thing has hurt more than one would like to admit. 

College can hold windows 8 days out. Amazing NFL can't do that leaving only Monday fixed. 

Stop flexing after every routine play.

Defenders are SUPPOSED to make tackles.

Receivers are SUPPOSED to catch balls. D-backs are SUPPOSED to prevent them.

Running backs are SUPPOSED to gain yards.

I get it, bro. You worked out. Now get back to the huddle.

Users who are viewing this thread