What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

No way Leinart will play for NO (1 Viewer)

Napoleon Dynamite

Footballguy
Just about every mock draft has Leinart going #2 to NO, I don't buy it. Who would actually want to play for the Saints in 2006 and beyond? No/Low endorsements, bad stadium/situation, uncertain future.

Leinart would actually make more money being picked #4 by the Jets then going #2 to the Saints.

I think Leinart (or his agent) will force a trade, maybe Jets/NO swapping picks. Which I think would work out best for both teams.

2. New York Jets - Matt Leinart, QB, USC

3. Tennessee Titans - Vince Young, QB, Texas

4. New Orleans Saints - Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt

Also there has been some talk that NO is looking at possibly drafting Cutler at the 2 spot... could Leinart already be forcing NO's hand?

Cutler on the other hand is a hard nosed player that will play anywhere and will be ecstatic going #4 overall.

Maybe because he'll be back in Los Angeles in a year?
I understand what you're saying about the Saints moving, but I think he could be back in LA in a year because of an injury. The Saints don't have the line to protect him and he's not exactly fleet of foot. I would rather the Saints trade down, take AJ Hawk, and get Brees.

Could be our boys moving up to LA in two years.
tenn or NYJ will make a run at the top pick and take leinhart...he's not going to N.O...even if he is drafted by them,he'll refuse to sign, like elway, like eli..

:yes:

Could be our boys moving up to LA in two years.
tenn or NYJ will make a run at the top pick and take leinhart...he's not going to N.O...even if he is drafted by them,he'll refuse to sign, like elway, like eli..

:yes:
Here's where I disagree. I think this is a case where the NFL woul pressure leinart and the saints into making it work, assuming he is drafted there. The NFL would face a huge public relations issue if Leinart came out and looked like he didn't want to play for a city that was ravaged by a hurricane last year. Leinart would take a lot more bad press then Eli ever did for that move as well. I think if he gets drafted by the saints he goes there.

Leinart cannot afford to look like he is "too good" for that city, and the NFL cannot afford to have him appear that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think Lienart is going to pull an Eli Manning. I just dont see that happening. I think New Orleans could actually be a decent team if everyone is healthy. They have a decent offensive line, not the best but not the worst. They have three decent receivers, a decent TE returning and Duece back and healthy with a much better coach and offensive game plan. If I were Lienart, I would much rather be in New Orleans than NY. If he wins 8 games in New Orleans, he will be the hero of the town, if he wins 8 in NY they will be asking for his head.

I would think that Leinart would relish the opportunity to play in New Orleans.

An athlete like Leinart makes as much, if not more, on endorsements. Refusing to play in New Orleans, given the circumstances surrounding Katrina, would be a terrible PR move for Leinart and would cost him big time when compared to how much he could play up being the "savior."

An athlete like Leinart makes as much, if not more, on endorsements. Refusing to play in New Orleans, given the circumstances surrounding Katrina, would be a terrible PR move for Leinart and would cost him big time when compared to how much he could play up being the "savior."
:goodposting:

Not many endorsement opportunities playing in a market as small as NO that is even smaller today with less money etc.

Dude can always change his mind, but barring that, he's already said he'll play for the Saints:

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/saints/2244562.html

Published: Feb 2, 2006

DETROIT — Southern California quarterback Matt Leinart reiterated Wednesday what agent Leigh Steinberg said twice last month: the 2004 Heisman Trophy winner will play for the team that drafts him in April.

Almost from the time the Saints secured the second pick, speculation has been that Leinart would not play for a team that is coming off a 3-13 season and is returning to a hurricane-ravaged city. Steinberg said two weeks ago when Sean Payton was named the Saints new coach and again earlier this week that it wouldn’t be a problem for his client.

“Absolutely,” Leinart said when asked if he would sign with his drafting team. “I feel like it’s an honor whatever team and city picks me. I’m a competitor, so I’ll take my talents and go play.”

Dude can always change his mind, but barring that, he's already said he'll play for the Saints:

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/saints/2244562.html

Published: Feb 2, 2006

DETROIT — Southern California quarterback Matt Leinart reiterated Wednesday what agent Leigh Steinberg said twice last month: the 2004 Heisman Trophy winner will play for the team that drafts him in April.

Almost from the time the Saints secured the second pick, speculation has been that Leinart would not play for a team that is coming off a 3-13 season and is returning to a hurricane-ravaged city. Steinberg said two weeks ago when Sean Payton was named the Saints new coach and again earlier this week that it wouldn’t be a problem for his client.

“Absolutely,” Leinart said when asked if he would sign with his drafting team. “I feel like it’s an honor whatever team and city picks me. I’m a competitor, so I’ll take my talents and go play.”
Yeah, I read sorta the same thing in the LA Times. Here's what I read...
A likely scenario has Bush going to the Houston Texans as the No. 1 pick, and Leinart going second to the New Orleans Saints, who are said to be skittish about making a riskier pick at that spot.

He (Leinart) said he's "absolutely not" concerned about the uncertain future of the Saints, who were uprooted from New Orleans last season because of the Hurricane Katrina devastation, and whose future in that city looks murky.

"If I were to go to the Saints, it would be an honor," he said. "Just to get drafted and go to the NFL is an honor. Obviously, the city of New Orleans is going through some troubles right now, but it would be kind of cool to be a part of that, the rebuilding of the city."

An athlete like Leinart makes as much, if not more, on endorsements.  Refusing to play in New Orleans, given the circumstances surrounding Katrina, would be a terrible PR move for Leinart and would cost him big time when compared to how much he could play up being the "savior."
Not many endorsement opportunities playing in a market as small as NO that is even smaller today with less money etc.
:confused: I'm not talking about him endorsing "L'Tourneau's Ribs" down on Calhoun street.

Do you think a company lik Nike would be as interested in a guy that snubbed New Orleans.

The idea of a Jets/NO trade is not out of the question, assuming the Jets don't move up to #1 for Bush. I can see the Jets trading Pennington (and/or additional picks) and #4 for N.O. #2. I'd love to see Pennington and Cutler together in a Sean Payton coached team. Pennington gives and added advantage in that he knows Marrone's coaching style/offense and can mentor/compete for the starting gig. (This is assuming his injury is healed). Vince Young may fall here too, who I feel would have a better connection with the existing offensive players (similar playing style to Brooks...although much better athlete). We'll take him to if he falls to us.

As far as Leinhart, he'll do fine in New Orleans; however, as a N.O. homer, LSU blood is thick around here and we will never forget the 3-pete BS that USC/ESPN was slamming down our throat. Will Leinhart be welcome in New Orleans...sure. Will he get razzed for a while...ABSOLUTELY!!

Well publicly Leinart would never say he won't play for the Saints (thanks to the lesson from Eli)

Just becasue he publicly says he will play for the Saints doesnt mean he will want to.

It's not about who has the better team NO/NYJ, but what city will provide a better lifestyle and more endorsement money.

All of this makes me wonder how much influence a TOP player has on who will pick him. (behind closed doors)

Last edited by a moderator:
The idea of a Jets/NO trade is not out of the question, assuming the Jets don't move up to #1 for Bush. I can see the Jets trading Pennington (and/or additional picks) and #4 for N.O. #2. I'd love to see Pennington and Cutler together in a Sean Payton coached team. Pennington gives and added advantage in that he knows Marrone's coaching style/offense and can mentor/compete for the starting gig. (This is assuming his injury is healed). Vince Young may fall here too, who I feel would have a better connection with the existing offensive players (similar playing style to Brooks...although much better athlete). We'll take him to if he falls to us.

As far as Leinhart, he'll do fine in New Orleans; however, as a N.O. homer, LSU blood is thick around here and we will never forget the 3-pete BS that USC/ESPN was slamming down our throat. Will Leinhart be welcome in New Orleans...sure. Will he get razzed for a while...ABSOLUTELY!!
I hadn't even thought of Pennington as trade bait.This quietly raises an eyebrow. Especially the coaching familiarity.

Suppose this happened... does NO still take Cutler? I'd like to think they draft AJ Hawk

An athlete like Leinart makes as much, if not more, on endorsements.  Refusing to play in New Orleans, given the circumstances surrounding Katrina, would be a terrible PR move for Leinart and would cost him big time when compared to how much he could play up being the "savior."
:confused: I'm not talking about him endorsing "L'Tourneau's Ribs" down on Calhoun street.

Do you think a company lik Nike would be as interested in a guy that snubbed New Orleans.
I'm not meaning local businesses either. I am talking reaching an audience. Lienart isnt a LeBron type player who can overcome a small market. NY athletes dont get bigger endorement money because of Vito's Pizza.

I'm not meaning local businesses either. I am talking reaching an audience. Lienart isnt a LeBron type player who can overcome a small market. NY athletes dont get bigger endorement money because of Vito's Pizza.
The thing is, new orleans may be smaller then LA or NY, BUT there are not many cities that have more of the nations attention right now. Add to this the fact that no one is certain how long the saints will be there and you see that they should have the NFL fans attention as well. Leinart won't have any problems with being a Saint, as long as her performs

Thanks TL.One beauty of the NFL is that with it's reach, it really does go beyond the local market. Indy for instance is a small market but look at the deals Manning gets.

On the flip side, his brother in NY gets comparatively little endorsement work.

Bottom line is if Leinart produces, he'll get the deals.

J

Well publicly Leinart would never say he won't play for the Saints (thanks to the lesson from Eli)

Just becasue he publicly says he will play for the Saints doesnt mean he will want to.
True, but Leinart did not even attempt to side step the issue, which would not have been difficult. And whether he truly wants to play for NO or not is not relevant as long as he actually plays for them if drafted, which I am almost certain he will.Personally, I don't think Leinart interferes with the process at all and goes and plays wherever he is drafted.

Leinart has publicly said he would play in NO

Benson and Tags have worked out a deal keeping the Saints in the NFL through 2010.

Neither of TEN or NYJ are going to make a move up to #1 to get Leinart. Rebuilding teams with cap problems dont give up lots of draft picks to move up and pay a player more.

True, but Leinart did not even attempt to side step the issue, which would not have been difficult. And whether he truly wants to play for NO or not is not relevant as long as he actually plays for them if drafted, which I am almost certain he will.Personally, I don't think Leinart interferes with the process at all and goes and plays wherever he is drafted.
I agree with Dave here.I think he saw the backlash with Manning last year and will not go there.

J

Users who are viewing this thread