What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

O.J. Simpson and Bill Cosby on Twitter - should they be allowed or banned? (1 Viewer)

Since Twitter is not accountable to anyone for their actions (except ultimately to their shareholders) they could well ban someone for being an offensive person, rather than posting offensive content - and that's what the debate is about.
Can they without cause? How is that different from refusing to serve someone in a restaurant (who hasn't done anything bad in the restaurant)?
And, what is the "pro ban" side of the debate? 

My suggestion is to quit Twitter if you are bothered that Simpson is on Twitter 
I never said that I was bothered by Simpson being on Twitter, just pointing out that a good number of people seem to be outraged that he is allowed to have an account.

I believe you edited your original post. You did write you wanted him banned.
That is not true, I never wrote that I wanted him banned.

The edit in the original post was due to Ivan pointing out I had stated something incorrectly.

In the original OP I said:

Twitter is a private company, so this is not a free speech issue
Which was changed to:

Twitter is a private company, so this is not a first amendment issue (however it is a free speech issue)
which was the only edit made in the OP

Last edited by a moderator:
Can they without cause? How is that different from refusing to serve someone in a restaurant (who hasn't done anything bad in the restaurant)?
Restaurants can ban people without cause.

Just like customers can decide not to frequent a particular restaurant without giving a reason.

The general rule is that you don't have to do business with people you don't want to do business with. The exceptions involve race, sex, age, and other stuff specified in anti-discrimination laws.

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
Restaurants can ban people without cause.

Just like customers can decide not to frequent a particular restaurant without giving a reason.

The general rule is that you don't have to do business with people you don't want to do business with. The exceptions involve race, sex, age, and other stuff specified in anti-discrimination laws.
Appreciate the clarification.
Still don't see any reason Twitter would consider it in the absence of specific content. 

I never said that I was bothered by Simpson being on Twitter, just pointing out that a good number of people seem to be outraged that he is allowed to have an account.
Lets take this a step further - Lets say, hypothetically, a good number of people were outraged that you are allowed to have an account on FBGs.

A.  Should I start a thread about that?

2.  Should FBGs ban you?

Discuss.

Lets take this a step further - Lets say, hypothetically, a good number of people were outraged that you are allowed to have an account on FBGs.

A.  Should I start a thread about that?

2.  Should FBGs ban you?

Discuss.
Let's not. Let's keep the discussion about the subject matter of this thread.

If you wish to start a thread about me, feel free to do so and the issues you raise can be discussed there.

They want to give jailed felons the right  to vote but want to ban OJ . Bad guy but he served his time for the crime he was convicted for
Again, facts elude you.

The proposal would give felons who have served their time and have been released the right to vote again. Restoring the same voting rights they had prior to being incarcerated, where that right was taken away. Jailed felons won't ever be permitted to vote. It's part of the punishment of being removed from society.

HTH.

Again, facts elude you.

The proposal would give felons who have served their time and have been released the right to vote again. Restoring the same voting rights they had prior to being incarcerated, where that right was taken away. Jailed felons won't ever be permitted to vote. It's part of the punishment of being removed from society.

HTH.
I’m in favor of felons losing the right to vote while serving their sentences, but as I understand it most industrialized democracies do allow incarcerated prisoners to vote. 

Again, facts elude you.

HTH.
Again, facts elude you :lmao:

incarcerated felons can & do vote in Maine & Vermont

HTH.

O.J. now has over 500,000 followers on Twitter.

Makes one wonder if Charles Manson or Jeffrey Dahmer were still alive and given internet access, how big of a following would they have?

I think companies like Facebook and Twitter are going to tread lightly when it comes to free speech issues.  Regulation will come eventually, but I suspect they would like to put it off as long as possible.

I think companies like Facebook and Twitter are going to tread lightly when it comes to free speech issues.  Regulation will come eventually, but I suspect they would like to put it off as long as possible.
What kind of regulation would be consistent with the First Amendment?

Maurile Tremblay said:
What kind of regulation would be consistent with the First Amendment?
I’m not sure I completely understand your question, but I will try to answer.

I think regulatory scrutiny would come under looking into how they gather personal data and what they do with it, their processes for preventing the distribution of obscene material (like live feeding mass murder), examining them as monopolies, etc.

Beginning  to ban people because “they” don’t like them would bring unwanted attention with regard to how they run the business and how much power they have.

I’m not sure I completely understand your question, but I will try to answer.

I think regulatory scrutiny would come under looking into how they gather personal data and what they do with it, their processes for preventing the distribution of obscene material (like live feeding mass murder), examining them as monopolies, etc.

Beginning  to ban people because “they” don’t like them would bring unwanted attention with regard to how they run the business and how much power they have.
Oh, I thought you meant regulating their decision to ban certain people.

also

Marcia Clark

Chris Darden

Mark Furman

Dennis Fong

The ignorance of the American juror.
Or, you know, reasonable doubt. 

(To me the OJ case/situation is the best example of a case easily being proved by a preponderance of the evidence but legitimately falling short of prove beyond reasonable doubt due to the likelihood that police manipulated evidence). 

Or, you know, reasonable doubt. 

(To me the OJ case/situation is the best example of a case easily being proved by a preponderance of the evidence but legitimately falling short of prove beyond reasonable doubt due to the likelihood that police manipulated evidence). 
Likelihood.  I did not perceive it to be likely.  I did not perceive it to be more than a remote and hypothetical possibility.  I do acknowledge that they did not, in all instances, follow all established protocols, and that such left room for hypotheticals.  I just happen to believe that the hay which was made in the case was not because of great defense lawyering, or actual conspiracy by the cops, but by incredibly bad Prosecution .  Still, I understand the case was also a litmus test for persons attitudes and perceptions, mine included, and mine no doubt include preconceptions and biases, I would be a fool to think anything else.  I know I have no pipeline to the truth.  In my experience, however, folks always think they are reasonable no matter how ####house rat crazy and stupid they may be.  Jurors and defense attorneys as well, to an extent, think any wild hypothetical, raised not on evidence, but on open possibility must be absolutely refuted or there is a reasonable doubt.  I disagree, a mere whiff of a scintilla of a speculative hypothetical raised on hope rather than evidence is not reason or reasonable. (Now when I worked the other side of the fence I might have phrased this differently and might have taken a different stance)

Likelihood.  I did not perceive it to be likely.  I did not perceive it to be more than a remote and hypothetical possibility.  I do acknowledge that they did not, in all instances, follow all established protocols, and that such left room for hypotheticals.  I just happen to believe that the hay which was made in the case was not because of great defense lawyering, or actual conspiracy by the cops, but by incredibly bad Prosecution .  Still, I understand the case was also a litmus test for persons attitudes and perceptions, mine included, and mine no doubt include preconceptions and biases, I would be a fool to think anything else.  I know I have no pipeline to the truth.  In my experience, however, folks always think they are reasonable no matter how ####house rat crazy and stupid they may be.  Jurors and defense attorneys as well, to an extent, think any wild hypothetical, raised not on evidence, but on open possibility must be absolutely refuted or there is a reasonable doubt.  I disagree, a mere whiff of a scintilla of a speculative hypothetical raised on hope rather than evidence is not reason or reasonable. (Now when I worked the other side of the fence I might have phrased this differently and might have taken a different stance)
I'm pretty confident Dr. Lee would disagree with what appears to be your dismissal of the forensic evidence which strongly suggested improper police conduct. 

I'm pretty confident Dr. Lee would disagree with what appears to be your dismissal of the forensic evidence which strongly suggested improper police conduct. 
" I do acknowledge that they did not, in all instances, follow all established protocols, and that such left room for hypotheticals."

I would submit that such a statement by me indicates that I have not dismissed the irregularities in following procedure, procedure established to assure the integrity of evidence.  Without that assurance there is an opening to explore.  That said, the opening is not itself evidence of action, just stupidity and laziness.  Opportunity is not evidence.  It is some evidence of carelessness, it is no evidence of a conspiracy to frame or to manipulate physical evidence.  Stupidity and laziness are not tantamount to design and execution.

Take O.J.'s blood.  the supposition is that since they did not control the blood evidence by the book, neither in collecting droplets from gates, gloves, and O.J. that they could have placed his blood on the bronco, or elsewhere at the scenes.  One could have done this or more if it be a conspiracy.  the opportunity was there.  Of course there were a million cameras recording every bit of minutia in the case from the Bronco chase on.  In addition there were a million neighbor eyes and scores of cops presumably not yet brought into the conspiracy who would have had to see nothing.  Nope, no evidence, just opportunity, oversold to a gullible jury and endorsed in the sale by Judge Ito who  exercised no gatekeeper function at all. 

" I do acknowledge that they did not, in all instances, follow all established protocols, and that such left room for hypotheticals."

I would submit that such a statement by me indicates that I have not dismissed the irregularities in following procedure, procedure established to assure the integrity of evidence.  Without that assurance there is an opening to explore.  That said, the opening is not itself evidence of action, just stupidity and laziness.  Opportunity is not evidence.  It is some evidence of carelessness, it is no evidence of a conspiracy to frame or to manipulate physical evidence.  Stupidity and laziness are not tantamount to design and execution.

Take O.J.'s blood.  the supposition is that since they did not control the blood evidence by the book, neither in collecting droplets from gates, gloves, and O.J. that they could have placed his blood on the bronco, or elsewhere at the scenes.  One could have done this or more if it be a conspiracy.  the opportunity was there.  Of course there were a million cameras recording every bit of minutia in the case from the Bronco chase on.  In addition there were a million neighbor eyes and scores of cops presumably not yet brought into the conspiracy who would have had to see nothing.  Nope, no evidence, just opportunity, oversold to a gullible jury and endorsed in the sale by Judge Ito who  exercised no gatekeeper function at all. 
Yup.

Users who are viewing this thread