What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Oak vs Bal (1 Viewer)

moleculo

Footballguy
This game makes me nervous. All signs point to Baltimore killing the raiders - each was on opposite sides of a 27-0 game last week. One team looks like a SB caliber team, the other looks like a Brady Quinn caliber team.

Games like this make me nervous - when ever you think you have the NFL figured out, the unthinkable happens. There are too many signs pointing to a Baltimore blowout - I'm starting to think that this might be one of those :wall: games that drive gamblers crazy.

Fantasy implications of a raider win: plus for Brooks, Jordan, Moss, minus for McNair and Jamal. This game does have fantasy significance here, I think this game is fairly important.

Is anyone else nervous thinking about this game?

This game makes me nervous. All signs point to Baltimore killing the raiders - each was on opposite sides of a 27-0 game last week. One team looks like a SB caliber team, the other looks like a Brady Quinn caliber team.Games like this make me nervous - when ever you think you have the NFL figured out, the unthinkable happens. There are too many signs pointing to a Baltimore blowout - I'm starting to think that this might be one of those :wall: games that drive gamblers crazy.Fantasy implications of a raider win: plus for Brooks, Jordan, Moss, minus for McNair and Jamal. This game does have fantasy significance here, I think this game is fairly important.Is anyone else nervous thinking about this game?
Kinda thinking the same thing, Ravens are not that good and raiders are not that bad. This a game to stay away from. Play moss, and jordan, not brooks and go from there

But with that terrible O-Line, how exactly is Oak gonna score? How??? Brooksy doesn't even get enough time to throw up a jump ball for Moss.

:wall:

No way this is a trap game, are you kidding me? Brooks is going to get murdered back their and Moss will probably head to the locker romm late 3rd quarter as he will have given up after 2 catches for 14 yards.....

"Trap Game, TRAP GAME????" ala Jim Mora..........

let me reiterate - i don't think that there is any way oak can possibly beat Baltimore. No way. Unpossible. I think the oakland offense is liable to give up more scores than they score themselves, in terms of returned fumbles and ints. The Bartimore D is a better scoring threat than the raider O, IMO.

When ever I'm this sure that event A will happen, the opposite usually occurs, and that's what worries me about this game. I bet this game knocks alot of people out of survivor pools early.

This game makes me nervous. All signs point to Baltimore killing the raiders - each was on opposite sides of a 27-0 game last week. One team looks like a SB caliber team, the other looks like a Brady Quinn caliber team.Games like this make me nervous - when ever you think you have the NFL figured out, the unthinkable happens. There are too many signs pointing to a Baltimore blowout - I'm starting to think that this might be one of those :wall: games that drive gamblers crazy.Fantasy implications of a raider win: plus for Brooks, Jordan, Moss, minus for McNair and Jamal. This game does have fantasy significance here, I think this game is fairly important.Is anyone else nervous thinking about this game?
This is a case of "over" analysis IMHO... The Ravens are solid on defense and after a year of playing in Ryan's defensive schemes they are finally hitting on all cylinders. Lewis and the gang will be in Brook's face so much that the SD game will seem to have been a "walk in the park". The Ravens offense is much improved this year with the addition of a QB in McNair. The pass now has to be respected by the defense and JLewis should be able to put up solid rushing numbers each week.I am not predicting a shut-out again this week by either team but this game is in Baltimore and the Raiders are in too much turmoil to play a solid game on the road... I'll take the Ravens.

This isn't a trap game. A trap game is KC +10.5 in Denver. Denver looked *terrible*, no WAY should they be spotting anyone 10 points, nevermiond a division rival! I don't care if KC lost their QB, that's way too many points, esp. with KC's offense!

That is the thinking that many many people laying money on KC will have. And Denver will prob. win that game 35-17.

I agree that this is one of those games that could have people shaking their heads in disbelief.

I fully expect Baltimore to win, but it could be closer than many expect.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see your point. I can think back a few times when you hear "experts" call a team "the worst in the league" or "the worst in recent memory" only to have that team win or at least play well the next week. The level of tallent isn't that much different from team to team. I can see Oak giving the Ravens a game, at least well enough for the big three (Brooks, Jordan, Moss) to make some big plays. I just can't see them pulling off the upset, but I don't see a blow-out here.

Hi moleculo,I hear you - it's always a good idea to check one's enthusiasm in this league.But I dunno, I'm starting to seriously wonder if Aaron Brooks can get out of this game without leaving on a stretcher. I really think it's a mismatch of dangerous proportions.J

Also a West coast team traveling far East is another negative for the Raiders. I see them getting stomped. Not shut out though.

I won't be gambling on the game, bc I agree anything can happen, but will start the Ravens D fully expecting them to drop 30+ on Oakland.

Honestly, 8-10 pts from sacks alone, Brooks has to throw at least 2 picks, prob. good for a fumble.

And I just don't see Oakland going over 200 yds or 10 pts.

I won't be gambling on the game, bc I agree anything can happen, but will start the Ravens D fully expecting them to drop 30+ on Oakland.Honestly, 8-10 pts from sacks alone, Brooks has to throw at least 2 picks, prob. good for a fumble. And I just don't see Oakland going over 200 yds or 10 pts.
They really have to be a complete 180 for the Raiders. I can see a 27-0/34-7 style game again... Lewis/Musa should have a field day. McNair played fair against on of the best Pass defenses in the league, Oakland is in no way close to the Bucs in Pass defense. McNair could go 200+ with 3 TD passes.If Heap is healthy... Might be the best start for TE's this week.

on monday i made a 6 point teaser parlay bet with the under of the skins/vikings the under of the chargers/raiders and i meant to add baltimore this week but i accidentally took the raiders...the line on the game was baltimore -9 at the time so i was going to have them -3 with the 6 point teaser...instead i have the raiders +15 and i hate the bet. i hated the bet when i saw my confirmation ticket monday before any of the games and after watching the raiders play i hated it even more. Raiders are just plain bad...they have to travel cross country to play a team that played very well last week on all sides of the ball...i wouldnt like the raiders +20 this week...id prolly take um +21 and hope but this team just sucks...if brooks finishes this game i would be very surprised...this is no trap game...this is gonna get ugly quick...

Oakland 0

Baltimore 34

All is not lost, however. My Baltimore defense will get me 700 points this week.

If it takes Oakland getting shut out week after week after week for this pathetic coaching staff to get fired, then that's what I'll be rooting for. If Al Davis falls into a coma that same night, things are looking up.

This game makes me nervous. All signs point to Baltimore killing the raiders - each was on opposite sides of a 27-0 game last week. One team looks like a SB caliber team, the other looks like a Brady Quinn caliber team.

Games like this make me nervous - when ever you think you have the NFL figured out, the unthinkable happens. There are too many signs pointing to a Baltimore blowout - I'm starting to think that this might be one of those :wall: games that drive gamblers crazy.

Fantasy implications of a raider win: plus for Brooks, Jordan, Moss, minus for McNair and Jamal. This game does have fantasy significance here, I think this game is fairly important.

Is anyone else nervous thinking about this game?
Kinda thinking the same thing, Ravens are not that good and raiders are not that bad. This a game to stay away from. Play moss, and jordan, not brooks and go from there
I'll disagree there, I think the Ravens will compete for a Superbowl title, and I think the Raiders will compete for the #1 overall pick in the draft.

Two ends of the spectrum as far as I am concered.

On that note, anything can happen.

I liken this game to when Minn would face TB and their STRONG Defense.

IIRC Minn would get SHUT down.

I see the same thing happening here

Moss is always a wild card though. I would have a hard time sitting him, as some will be.

Jordon will have a tough time accumulating any yards and I think Brooks will have a tough time finishing the game. Whether due to injury or inability.

The Raiders will be the laughingstock of the NFL all season long.

I never liked Shell's ability on the sidelines, and I think that will show again this time around.

Their ONLY hope is Weeks 4 & 5 when they play CLE and SF. Maybe they can build some momentum and confidence, and parlay that into a competitive season.

If not.....

Im gonna say 2-14

I have to agree with the original poster... I shyed away from this game in my loser pool.

This isn't a judgement on the Ravens or the Raiders... it's just that kinda game that is a "sure" thing that gets flipped on you... especially this early in the season.

Heck, I think the fact that Gallery is out may help the Raiders... he looked like a revolving door last week.

I don't see a "trap" here at all. I like to look at teams that might "rebound" from a poor performance in order to get an overlay,but I need to see SOMETHING from them that makes me believe they'll bounce back. Raiders hitting the road on a cross country trip,very difficult in The NFL. Ravens COMING home for their opener. I took the Ravens and laid the points,I see it as the best bet of the week.

I don't see a "trap" here at all. I like to look at teams that might "rebound" from a poor performance in order to get an overlay,but I need to see SOMETHING from them that makes me believe they'll bounce back. Raiders hitting the road on a cross country trip,very difficult in The NFL. Ravens COMING home for their opener. I took the Ravens and laid the points,I see it as the best bet of the week.
All I have been reading all week is how pathetic the Oline for Oakland was, allowing 7 sacks. Now lets consider Lewis and Suggs...they will decapitate Brooks. As someone mentioned above, i fail to see how brooks finishes this game, at least walking away without serious injury. He has got to be extremely concerned for his health at this point in time.The raiders, had a late game. Short week, limiting time for practice and film sessions. Not to mention morale (not much to begin with) after getting their shorts blown off on national TV. They get on a 5 hour flight, then as soon as they land bumped up 3 hours closer to game time, which is an early game! mcCallister and Reed will not let Moss breath. They raiders have zero playmakers outside of Moss (sorry lamont) so how will they score on offense? This is Balt's home opener...can you say fired up? They mauled TB last week. Now they are home vs. the chumps of the NFL. I agree there are trap games, but i think u are calling this for the sake of calling it a trap. This will be a blood bath...

The Raiders would be better served to stay at home this week and let Baltimore have the win. They could then work on fundamentals and team work and the little stuff that might help them win a game or two later in the season. I dont see any leader on that team standing up and giving a speech that will motivate them. They will not enjoy the flight to Baltimore...they will not enjoy the flight home from Baltimore and they certainly will not enjoy the time spent in Baltimore.

I think I read somewhere (probably here) that Oakland's OC was running an Inn in Idaho the past 6 years. That is where he is gonna wish he was after facing the Baltimore defense. No trap here, only thing that makes this interesting is to see how bad Brooks gets pummeled and if Moss has a hissy fit.

I have to agree with the original poster... I shyed away from this game in my loser pool.This isn't a judgement on the Ravens or the Raiders... it's just that kinda game that is a "sure" thing that gets flipped on you... especially this early in the season.Heck, I think the fact that Gallery is out may help the Raiders... he looked like a revolving door last week.
:thumbup: Gallery being out is a definite improvement. A HUGE improvement! Sadly, it isn't the Oakland coaching with him, it is the fact that the coaching was so good at the collegiate level that it masked his negatives.

I believe that Oakland is that bad. Gallery is out & it would take allot for me to start L.Jordan. His 34th ranking by FBG is about right. This game is going to get ugly real fast IMO. I see an Art Shell stepping down for the betterment of the team press conference coming around week 4. I feel for Raider fans right now. I can sympathize being Lions homer.

I think the line is an overreaction to both of these teams' performances in week one. The Raiders are one of my three picks in MoP's thread. It wouldn't surprise me if it's a blowout, but it also wouldn't surprise me if the Raiders make this one pretty close. They're not as bad as they looked last week. And the Ravens aren't as good as they looked last week. JMHO.

I think the line is an overreaction to both of these teams' performances in week one. The Raiders are one of my three picks in MoP's thread. It wouldn't surprise me if it's a blowout, but it also wouldn't surprise me if the Raiders make this one pretty close. They're not as bad as they looked last week. And the Ravens aren't as good as they looked last week. JMHO.
:goodposting: I doubt I could have said this any better. Should be a 7-10 point game, not a 3-4 TD game. I mean, you have to think the playcalling will be a LITTLE more creative given the deficiencies on the o-line (3 step drops, rollouts, etc). I can't imagine the coordinator wants to lose his job. With that being said, I'm not suggesting the Raiders are going to hang 30 points on the Ravens, but 14-17 points would not be out of the question as hard as that is to imagine give the Monday night debacle.

I'm a huge Ravens fan, so last night I sat down to watch the Chargers-Raiders game play-by-play to see what to expect.

I now expect this game will be more hard fought than many people think.

Oakland was on the march on their opening drive and should have had a first-and-10 at the CD 25, but TE Courtney Anderson dropped a pass right in his hands on third down.

Halftime score should have been 10-0, but Oakland roughed the kicker on a missed FG that allowed it to become 13-0 at the half.

Once Oakland got behind by 20-0 early in the third quarter, the game was over for the Raiders offense.

If the Raiders keep it close early, I think their offense can be effective. Need to do more 3-step drops, more running, and more quick stuff to Moss though.

However their defense is weak. I think Jamal will gradually wear them down and I would not be surprised to see Mark Clayton have a good game, maybe on a couple of reverses.

I think the Ravens score late to put it away, maybe something like 24-13.

There is a great saying in football:

"When you win, you are never as good as you think you are. When you loose you are never as bad as you think you are."

This is a game that I see Baltimore winning say 27-13. Brooks will be running for his life and will turn the ball over at least 1 time. McNair will be hitting Heap and Mason and Lewis should be able to pound the ball. Walter will be coming in for relief duty and may get a late drive TD. Not a good way to go into your bye week down 0-2 with players hurt bickering and no resemblance of a NFL team. Bye week they will be talking about starting Walter and guess what he will start. Raiders you are now on the clock. Norv wasn't this bad they wish they had Norv now.

I agree with the sentiment of this game making me nervous to bet on

These are exactly the kind of games where someone from the Raiders will return a fumble or a int for a TD or/and return a kickoff for a TD. These games never go as expected, especially this early in the season when no team has given up.

moleculo said:
Nope.The Raiders are in DISARAY - there is nothing coming out of Raider camp about them rallying to get it together - OTOH, the Ravens have been YEARNING for a sure handed, cool headed QB like McNair since the last whistle of the Dilfer Super Bowl.Gamblers should be nervous about covering the spread b/c you are correct that teams rarely get THAT blown out two weeks in a row. Ravens fans should not be worried about their team winning their home opener. Fantasy owners of anyone except the Ravans' D should worry - and should not start any Raiders except Moss and Jordan - and that is only b/c you are likely in a position where you have to start them.If you have easier matchups with nearly comparable players, I'd consider benching all my raiders. For the Ravens, I think you have to start Heap and JLew if you have them, but McNair may be gold for three quarters and then simply stop throwing the ball - he could stop at 225 and a touchdown or two and the Ravens could cruise to an easy victory.

Gamblers should be nervous about covering the spread b/c you are correct that teams rarely get THAT blown out two weeks in a row.
While this may be true, I meant to address the original poster's "trap game" issue.From a gambling perspective, the "trap game" is a myth. You hear people say all the time that Vegas is begging you to take this team or that team. Trust me..... the boys in Vegas couldn't care less who you take or who I take, as long as their books are somewhat balanced at kickoff. Their only concern is getting the same amount of action on Baltimore as they have on Oakland. Then, they win the vig. WE are the gamblers -- not the sportsbooks.

The line opened at 8 before the Monday night game. Then Oakland got killed and the line immediately went to 10.5. Baltimore kept getting heavy action, and it climbed to 11. The public kept (smartly so) hammering the Ravens, and now the number seems to be settling in at 12 in most outlets. That was the number that saw some significant Oakland action. Personally, I wouldn't take the Raiders with fewer than 21 points.

Vegas can't always balance their books perfectly, of course, though that's the ultimate goal. The only time they really care who bet what is with the "whales"... the guys who are rich enough to impact their bottom line. But for the most part, even in marquee games like the Super Bowl, the boys in Vegas aren't out to "trap" us.

Gamblers should be nervous about covering the spread b/c you are correct that teams rarely get THAT blown out two weeks in a row.
While this may be true, I meant to address the original poster's "trap game" issue.From a gambling perspective, the "trap game" is a myth. You hear people say all the time that Vegas is begging you to take this team or that team. Trust me..... the boys in Vegas couldn't care less who you take or who I take, as long as their books are somewhat balanced at kickoff. Their only concern is getting the same amount of action on Baltimore as they have on Oakland. Then, they win the vig. WE are the gamblers -- not the sportsbooks.

The line opened at 8 before the Monday night game. Then Oakland got killed and the line immediately went to 10.5. Baltimore kept getting heavy action, and it climbed to 11. The public kept (smartly so) hammering the Ravens, and now the number seems to be settling in at 12 in most outlets. That was the number that saw some significant Oakland action. Personally, I wouldn't take the Raiders with fewer than 21 points.

Vegas can't always balance their books perfectly, of course, though that's the ultimate goal. The only time they really care who bet what is with the "whales"... the guys who are rich enough to impact their bottom line. But for the most part, even in marquee games like the Super Bowl, the boys in Vegas aren't out to "trap" us.
Trap game has nothing to do with Vegas. But there are trap games.It simply means a game, or line, that seems too juicy to be true.

And by your own admission, teams that get shutout, usually come back very strong (60% win rate). The Vegas line in the NFL is always very solid. Vegas knows, it's unlikely the Raiders will play that poorly again. 12 points is a lot in the NFL.

So anyway, I believe it is a trap game, just based on public perception. Has nothing to do with Vegas.

Trap game has nothing to do with Vegas. But there are trap games.It simply means a game, or line, that seems too juicy to be true.

And by your own admission, teams that get shutout, usually come back very strong (60% win rate). The Vegas line in the NFL is always very solid. Vegas knows, it's unlikely the Raiders will play that poorly again. 12 points is a lot in the NFL.
If "Vegas knows" the Raiders won't play that poorly again, why not set the line at 7 and win ALL that money when everyone in the world bets on Baltimore? I think you know the answer.

While this may be true, I meant to address the original poster's "trap game" issue.

From a gambling perspective, the "trap game" is a myth. You hear people say all the time that Vegas is begging you to take this team or that team. Trust me..... the boys in Vegas couldn't care less who you take or who I take, as long as their books are somewhat balanced at kickoff. Their only concern is getting the same amount of action on Baltimore as they have on Oakland. Then, they win the vig. WE are the gamblers -- not the sportsbooks.
They don't always try to get equal action on each side. Sometimes they try to get more action on the losing side. That's a trap game.From Stanford Wong's book on sports betting:

While competing in the Stardust football tournament in the fall of 2000, I had the opportunity to ask Robert Walker, race and sportsbook director at MGM Mirage, whether his company's action is balanced on football games. I mentioned that it seemed to me that on about half the games, most people who had an opinion ageed on the same team. I said it therefore appeared to me that sportsbooks might be taking lopsided action on about half of all NFL games. Mr. Walker answered that what I hypothesized was indeed the case. He said he does not mind lopsided action as long as his sportsbook makes money overall on those games.

Then I asked him why he did not make more line moves to try to balance the action. His answer was that to move the line to try to balance the action would result in less profit for the sportsbook.

Balanced action is seldom achieved. It's a myth that balancing the action is the purpose of the line, except in the case of the Super Bowl.

Sportsbook managers strive to achieve better than the theoretical hold percentage. They try to set lines so that the excess action is on the side that is less likely to win. It's easier to do this on games with a higher proprtion of money being bet by unsophisticated bettors.

Suppose that a sportsbook manager thinks there is a 50 percent chance that Baltimore will win Sunday's game by more than 7.5 points. And further suppose that the manager thinks that hanging a line of Baltimore -7.5 would attract an imbalance of action on Baltimore, but that a line of Baltimore -10 would split the action evenly between Baltimore and its opponent.

A line of Baltimore -7.5 would allow the sportsbook to achieve its theoretical hold percentage, as would a line of Baltimre -10.

At a line of Baltimore -7, most of the action would come in on Baltimore, and Baltimore would be the side that is most likely to cover, so the sportsbook would not have an edge.

At a line of Baltimore -10.5, most of the action would come in on Baltimore's opponent, and that would be the side most likely to cover, so the sportsbook would not have an edge.

Any line between Baltomire -8 and Baltimore -9.5 will attract more money on the side that is less likely to cover the spread, and give the sportsbook the expectation of achieveing better than the theoretical hold percentage.

The manager wants to make money for the business, and the more money the better. The point of maximum dollars of profit could come at Baltmore -7.5, or it could come at Baltimore -10, but more likely it would come at a number between -7.5 and -10. Within the range of -7.5 [sic -- I think he meant -8 -- MT] and -9.5, the sportsbook would knowingly be accepting an imbalance of action on Baltimore.

Sure the sportsbook takes extra risk by intentionally accepting an imbalance of action on Baltimore. But the sportsbook diversifies by also accepting bets on many other games, each of which is independent. Therefore the risk due to an imbalance in action on any one game is unimportant unless the action on that game is huge, as is the case with the Super Bowl.

In the real world, of course, the sportsbook manager does not know for certain the spread at which Baltimore has a 50 percent chance of covering. But between his expertise and the expertise he has access to, the manager comes up with a good estimate of that spread.

Likewise in the real world, the sportsbook manager does not know for certain the spread at which action would be split evenly between both teams. He does not need to know it.

Suppose the manager thinks Baltimore has around a 50 percent chance of covering a spread of eight points. Further suppose the manager thinks that an excess of money will be coming in on Baltimore if he hangs a line of Baltimore -8. So the line he hangs is Baltimore -8.5 or Baltimore -9. He's not trying to balance the action on the game, and he's not even trying to attract bets against Baltimore. What he is trying to do is gain a little extra advantage from all those squares who will bet Baltimore no matter what the spread. If he hangs Baltimore -8.5 instead of Baltimore -8, then one possible game outcome that would have been a push for Baltimore bettors becomes a win for the sportsbook.

The result will be a line that might attract sharp money to the unpopular team. The manager does not really want sharp action, but will put up with a little bit of it in order to get an extra-big edge over a larger amount of action on the popular team.

If the manager can set a line that will attract some but not a lot of action on the unpopular team, the resulting spread will win more money for the business than if the line split the action evenly.

Squares prefer to bet favorites more often than not. So the manager is more likely to hang a line that penalizes betting on favorites.
He actually used Baltimore being a big favorite as the example. I didn't change anything (other than probably making lots of typos). ;)

Good point, Raide r- and I agree that you are betting against other bettors, not Vegas.

But, it STILL can be a "trap game." A game when you want to bet on Baltimore, but the line is so big that the risk is bigger than it should be. 12 points IS a lot in the NFL, esp. for a dominating defensive team like the Ravens.

Imagine a 17-3 game heading into the 4th Q. and the Ravens have been dominating defensively. Garbage time - 5 minutes left in the game - no scoring b/c the Ravens' D has been dominant and they are running out the clock. Raiders score a TD.

Spread shot - even if the Ravens put up an insurance FG at some point in the 4th. THAT is the definitoin of a "trap" game.

IMO, the smartest bet in this game is the under.

While this may be true, I meant to address the original poster's "trap game" issue.

From a gambling perspective, the "trap game" is a myth. You hear people say all the time that Vegas is begging you to take this team or that team. Trust me..... the boys in Vegas couldn't care less who you take or who I take, as long as their books are somewhat balanced at kickoff. Their only concern is getting the same amount of action on Baltimore as they have on Oakland. Then, they win the vig. WE are the gamblers -- not the sportsbooks.
They don't always try to get equal action on each side. Sometimes they try to get more action on the losing side. That's a trap game.From Stanford Wong's book on sports betting:

While competing in the Stardust football tournament in the fall of 2000, I had the opportunity to ask Robert Walker, race and sportsbook director at MGM Mirage, whether his company's action is balanced on football games. I mentioned that it seemed to be me that on about half the games, most people who had an opinion ageed on the same team. I said it therefore appeared to me that sportsbooks might be taking lopsided action on about half of all NFL games. Mr. Walker answered that what I hypothesized was indeed the case. He said he does not mind lopsided action as long as his sportsbook makes money overall on those games.

Then I asked him why he did not make more line moves to try to balance the action. His answer was that to move the line to try to balance the action would result in less profit for the sportsbook.

Balanced action is seldom achieved. It's a myth that balancing the action is the purpose of the line, except in the case of the Super Bowl.

Sportsbook managers strive to achieve better than the theoretical hold percentage. They try to set lines so that the excess action is on the side that is less likely to win. It's easier to do this on games with a higher proprtion of money being bet by unsophisticated bettors.

Suppose that a sportsbook manager thinks there is a 50 percent chance that Baltimore will win Sunday's game by more than 7.5 points. And further suppose that the manager thinks that hanging a line of Baltimore -7.5 would attract an imbalance of action on Baltimore, but that a line of Baltimore -10 would split the action evenly between Baltimore and its opponent.

A line of Baltimore -7.5 would allow the sportsbook to achieve its theoretical hold percentage, as would a line of Baltimre -10.

At a line of Baltimore -7, most of the action would come in on Baltimore, and Baltimore would be the side that is most likely to cover, so the sportsbook would not have an edge.

At a line of Baltimore -10.5, most of the action would come in on Baltimore's opponent, and that would be the side most likely to cover, so the sportsbook would not have an edge.

Any line between Baltomire -8 and Baltimore -9.5 will attract more money on the side that is less likely to cover the spread, and give the sportsbook the expectation of achieveing better than the theoretical hold percentage.

The manager wants to make money for the business, and the more money the better. The point of maximum dollars of profit could come at Baltmore -7.5, or it could come at Baltimore -10, but more likely it would come at a number between -7.5 and -10. Within the range of -7.5 [sic -- I think he meant -8 -- MT] and -9.5, the sportsbook would knowingly be accepting an imbalance of action on Baltimore.

Sure the sportsbook takes extra risk by intentionally accepting an imbalance of action on Baltimore. But the sportsbook diversifies by also accepting bets on many other games, each of which is independent. Therefore the risk due to an imbalance in action on any one game is unimportant unless the action on that game is huge, as is the case with the Super Bowl.

In the real world, of course, the sportsbook manager does not know for certain the spread at which Baltimore has a 50 percent chance of covering. But between his expertise and the expertise he has access to, the manager comes up with a good estimate of that spread.

Likewise in the real world, the sportsbook manager does not know for certain the spread at which action would be split evenly between both teams. He does not need to know it.

Suppose the manager thinks Baltimore has around a 50 percent chance of covering a spread of eight points. Further suppose the manager thinks that an excess of money will be coming in on Baltimore if he hangs a line of Baltimore -8. So the line he hangs is Baltimore -8.5 or Baltimore -9. He's not trying to balance the action on the game, and he's not even trying to attract bets against Baltimore. What he is trying to do is gain a little extra advantage from all those squares who will bet Baltimore no matter what the spread. If he hangs Baltimore -8.5 instead of Baltimore -8, then one possible game outcome that would have been a push for Baltimore bettors becomes a win for the sportsbook.

The result will be a line that might attract sharp money to the unpopular team. The manager does not really want sharp action, but will put up with a little bit of it in order to get an extra-big edge over a larger amount of action on the popular team.

If the manager can set a line that will attract some but not a lot of action on the unpopular team, the resulting spread will win more money for the business than if the line split the action evenly.

Squares prefer to bet favorites more often than not. So the manager is more likely to hang a line that penalizes betting on favorites.
He actually used Baltimore being a big favorite as the example. I didn't change anything (other than probably making lots of typos). ;)
Great stuff. :thumbup: I love Robert Walker. I hear him all the time on The SportsBash on ESPN radio.

He has my dream job.

Good point, Raide r- and I agree that you are betting against other bettors, not Vegas.But, it STILL can be a "trap game." A game when you want to bet on Baltimore, but the line is so big that the risk is bigger than it should be. 12 points IS a lot in the NFL, esp. for a dominating defensive team like the Ravens.Imagine a 17-3 game heading into the 4th Q. and the Ravens have been dominating defensively. Garbage time - 5 minutes left in the game - no scoring b/c the Ravens' D has been dominant and they are running out the clock. Raiders score a TD.Spread shot - even if the Ravens put up an insurance FG at some point in the 4th. THAT is the definitoin of a "trap" game.IMO, the smartest bet in this game is the under.
I hear ya.However you guys want to define a "trap" game, I don't think this one qualifies.The Raiders ARE as bad as they looked, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread