What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Obama's reception at West Point commencement (1 Viewer)

Those of you who are critical of the speech: any specifics? Please name a sentence or phrase in the speech you did not like and explain why.
You never know when to stop!
Sp you have no specific criticism to offer? As to your comment, you're correct, I don't know when to stop. I think President Obama has been a mediocre President overall, but a terrific foreign policy President. I have consistently listed specific reasons why in this forum. If you disagree then I ask that you do the same. If you're unwilling or incapable of doing so, then I can only conclude that you have no idea what you're talking about.
Looking fwd to the day when you recognize that the Keynesians were right, and the fiscal conservatives who wanted to slash spending during the economic crisis were wrong. Perhaps then you will give credit where credit is due.

Big O steered us correctly during the worst economic crisis in almost a century, ended 2 wars and avoided a 3rd (Iran), while also passing the most important piece of social legislation in our lifetime. Guy is the Mike Trout of Presidents.

What exactly is the story here? One of the president's jobs is to manage the nation's foreign policy, of which the military is but one tool. Differences between the boss and the defense department are to be expected. A good president should always seek the advice of his senior military officers. That doesn't mean he should always take it.

The military doesnt like Obama, deal with it....
Link to a military authority who has either said this or implied it in any way?
I was in the military 20 years and currently work with them daily. I dont need a link to anything...No high ranking military officer is going to say that publicly anyway....
What is it about Obama they dislike? The fact that he ended the wars and hasn't found any more brown people they can kill?

I was in the military 20 years and currently work with them daily. I dont need a link to anything...No high ranking military officer is going to say that publicly anyway....
What is it about Obama they dislike? The fact that he ended the wars and hasn't found any more brown people they can kill?
They dont care for his lying, his integrity, his policies. I dont ask people specifically but everyone i have ran into the past 5 years doesnt care for him. I am sure there are some that do but i would be willing to bet they are in the minority.

Those of you who are critical of the speech: any specifics? Please name a sentence or phrase in the speech you did not like and explain why.
I did, you ignored. Why bring up things like global warming in a commencement speech? Absolutely the wrong place and wrong place and wrong time. He consistently comes across as a partisan who can not appeal to both sides. Kennedy, Reagan and Clinton were brilliant at that, and is why they are great presidents. Obama is unable to rise above partisan politics. And there is nothing unique about the times. Politics has always been partisan, but some are better at overcoming that than others.

I did, you ignored. Why bring up things like global warming in a commencement speech? Absolutely the wrong place and wrong place and wrong time. He consistently comes across as a partisan who can not appeal to both sides. Kennedy, Reagan and Clinton were brilliant at that, and is why they are great presidentspoliticians. Obama is unable to rise above partisan politics. And there is nothing unique about the times. Politics has always been partisan, but some are better at overcoming that than others.
Fixed.

I did, you ignored. Why bring up things like global warming in a commencement speech? Absolutely the wrong place and wrong place and wrong time. He consistently comes across as a partisan who can not appeal to both sides. Kennedy, Reagan and Clinton were brilliant at that, and is why they are great presidents. Obama is unable to rise above partisan politics. And there is nothing unique about the times. Politics has always been partisan, but some are better at overcoming that than others.
It is YOUR contention that global warming represents "partisan politics". I don't agree with notion. IMO, it's one of the most vital issues affecting the world today, and it is absolutely pertinent to any speech that Obama might give regarding national affairs. So I disagree with your entire premise.

It is YOUR contention that global warming represents "partisan politics". I don't agree with notion. IMO, it's one of the most vital issues affecting the world today, and it is absolutely pertinent to any speech that Obama might give regarding national affairs. So I disagree with your entire premise.
That was just one example, but yes Obama's solution is very much partisan. Pushing regulations unilaterally without any commitment from other nations which happen to only become effective after he leaves office. Very stupid and cowardly. Regardless of how you label it, it was inappropriate

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure who take less seriously: tim, gunz or Glenn Beck. :lol:
It would be interesting or at least informative to see some report from a neutral source at least reporting how the audience actually reacted.

I don't know if even Obama supporters like the speech though just from a speech-writing quality level, pretty scattershot.

The international order we seek is one that can resolve the challenges of our times -- countering violent extremism and insurgency; stopping the spread of nuclear weapons and securing nuclear materials; combating a changing climate and sustaining global growth; helping countries feed themselves and care for their sick; preventing conflict and healing wounds.
http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2010/05/obama_at_west_point_graduation.html

That apparently is this administration's military and foreign policy?

This is a good one:

We should not discard our freedoms because extremists try to exploit them.
Oh... say, like our 1st., 3rd and 4th Amendment rights to freedom of speech, privacy from state intrusion and freedom from seizure of our communications? Like that?

The international order we seek is one that can resolve the challenges of our times -- countering violent extremism and insurgency; stopping the spread of nuclear weapons and securing nuclear materials; combating a changing climate and sustaining global growth; helping countries feed themselves and care for their sick; preventing conflict and healing wounds.
http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2010/05/obama_at_west_point_graduation.html

That apparently is this administration's military and foreign policy?
Which part of that sentence do you object to? Personally I agree with all of it.

This is a good one:

We should not discard our freedoms because extremists try to exploit them.
Oh... say, like our 1st., 3rd and 4th Amendment rights to freedom of speech, privacy from state intrusion and freedom from seizure of our communications? Like that?
Again, your comments are based on a very subjective opinion about what the NSA is doing. Obviously Obama disagrees with you; IMO, with good reason. That does not make him a hypocrite, nor does it diminish the importance of his comment.

I was in the military. I can tell you that the commanders in the military expect everyone to vote and be Republican. Mostly because it's job security for them. I would say if there were people there that support O most likely they were afraid to show it publicly.

I was in the military. I can tell you that the commanders in the military expect everyone to vote and be Republican. Mostly because it's job security for them. I would say if there were people there that support O most likely they were afraid to show it publicly.
Why would they vote for people that hate the military?

Why would they vote for people that hate the military?
It's not hate, it's seeing a different and probably diminished role for it. Of course that won't sit well with people who have spent their entire careers preparing for combat.

Obama cut their pay, ended the GI bill which put many people from low income families through college for over 60 years, and seems to not be taking any real action on the VA mess. Basically they hate him because he treat people on welfare and people in prison better that the soldiers.

Obama cut their pay, ended the GI bill which put many people from low income families through college for over 60 years, and seems to not be taking any real action on the VA mess. Basically they hate him because he treat people on welfare and people in prison better that the soldiers.
Because he truly dislikes the military?

Sp you have no specific criticism to offer?As to your comment, you're correct, I don't know when to stop. I think President Obama has been a mediocre President overall, but a terrific foreign policy President. I have consistently listed specific reasons why in this forum. If you disagree then I ask that you do the same. If you're unwilling or incapable of doing so, then I can only conclude that you have no idea what you're talking about.
So if "mediocre" is a solid C.

And foreign policy being "terrific" is an A, or A+

What does that mean his domestic policy has graded out as?

Sp you have no specific criticism to offer?As to your comment, you're correct, I don't know when to stop. I think President Obama has been a mediocre President overall, but a terrific foreign policy President. I have consistently listed specific reasons why in this forum. If you disagree then I ask that you do the same. If you're unwilling or incapable of doing so, then I can only conclude that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Well, I don't approve of it.

Well, I don't approve of it.
We need a fookin' grade! GIVE US A GRADE!

Why would I ever bother wasting my time reading Glenn freakin Beck.

Like a number of posters here, you see the name before the quoted text and everything that follows just becomes instantly discounted. When you have zero respect for someone's opinion (and let's be honest, they've earned that distinction) it's hard to take anything seriously ( even if true).

Like a number of posters here, you see the name before the quoted text and everything that follows just becomes instantly discounted. When you have zero respect for someone's opinion (and let's be honest, they've earned that distinction) it's hard to take anything seriously ( even if true).
I know exactly what you mean. Whenever I see Koya

I roll my eyes and move on

I know exactly what you mean. Whenever I see KoyaI roll my eyes and move on
To each their own.

If I've shown a complete lack of - or more accurately disregard - for critical thinking nor even pretend to have any objective approach id deserve to be treated as such.

Users who are viewing this thread