What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Offical Chicago Bears 2009 Offseason Thread*** (1 Viewer)

If they sign Holt or Harrison in the next 24 Hours, it's going to be akin to Michael Corleone taking care of all the family business during the baptism of his sister's kid. Tattaglia, Barzini, Cuneo, Stracci...and Moe Green just for sh*ts and giggles!It would be awesome
:rolleyes:

WOOT! :bow: :thanks: :thumbup: :bow: :suds: :suds: :hifive: Get Holt next. PLEASE.
:goodposting: :headbang: :welcome: Cutler to Holt...wow, a girl can dream...I'm so excited about this trade and the Pace signing. WOW. I don't think anyone got any work done at work the last half hour I was there - everyone was talking about this!

Last edited by a moderator:
Article on by Pasquarelli talking about the size and significance of this trade in NFL history, which I'm sure most of us have already thought about. Still mind blowing the Bears are involved in this.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...&id=4037560

Cutler trade among most notable

By nature, such assessments are purely subjective, governed by the many variables considered, both individually and as a sum, by the vested parties. But with the Denver Broncos trading quarterback Jay Cutler to Chicago on Thursday, such a deal could be considered among the most significant in NFL history.

Certainly, the trade of Cutler would be among the most notable in the past 20 years.

"I think to call it a once-in-a-lifetime deal is probably [overstatement]," said a personnel man from one of the several franchises that bid for Cutler's services but lost him to the Bears. "But once in a generation? Yeah, probably so. It's tough enough to find a [good] backup quarterback out there. So you can see how rare it is that a guy like Cutler, somebody with his credentials, would be on the market."

That's for sure.

In the period 1989-2008, there were 79 trades involving veteran quarterbacks, a surprising average of nearly four per season, according to the NFL Record and Fact book for each year The deals ranged from "A" (A.J. Feeley, twice) to "Z" (Eric Zeier, also twice). In fact, 17 veteran quarterbacks were traded twice each in that span. The 1995 campaign was the only season that did not include a trade involving a veteran quarterback. The incomparable Joe Montana, a Hall of Fame player, was dealt during that time. So was Brett Favre, a sure-fire first-ballot Hall of Fame selection in the future.

But with the combination of age, accomplishment and potential, a quarterback of Cutler's ilk hasn't been available in the past 20 years.

Or maybe ever.

It makes no sense at this point to assign blame for the current ugly situation surrounding the Broncos. With the trade completed, it's up to the pundits to weigh in on whether coach Josh McDaniels or Cutler was more responsible. There is plenty of culpability to be shared by those men and others.

But consider the Cutler résumé: The three-year veteran won't turn 26 until later this month. In his two full seasons as a starter, Cutler has thrown for more than 3,500 yards twice, including 4,500-plus yards last year. Cutler has 45 touchdown passes, including 25 in 2008, in the past two years. And there is no debate -- even among his staunchest critics -- about Cutler's impressive arm strength. His best football is yet to come.

It is rare indeed for a quarterback of Cutler's pedigree to become available in the NFL, especially at his age.

Montana was traded from San Francisco to Kansas City after winning four Super Bowl titles with the 49ers, but he was 36 at the time and nearing the end of his career. Trent Green, who was traded twice this millennium, was 30-plus for each deal. Steve McNair, who went from Tennessee to Baltimore in 2006, was 33 at the time and, although he was a former co-MVP, he had a long list of injuries. Drew Bledsoe was 30 years old when New England shipped him to Buffalo.

In each of those cases, the quarterback was still serviceable but was on the downside of his football career.

Then there were those veteran quarterbacks involved in trades who were at the other end of the spectrum. Favre, for instance, was only 23 when he went from Atlanta to Green Bay in 1992. But at the time of the trade, Favre had zero NFL starts, and had thrown only five passes in the league. Matt Hasselbeck (Green Bay to Seattle in 2001) was only 26 when traded, and Aaron Brooks (Green Bay to New Orleans in 2000) was just 24. But neither Hasselbeck nor Brooks had yet logged his first NFL start, and the two had appeared in just 13 games combined. Matt Schaub (Atlanta to Houston in 2007) was just 26 when the trade was completed but had started only three regular-season games for the Falcons, with one win. There are 16 "modern day" quarterbacks in the Hall of Fame, and nine of them were traded at least once in their respective careers. In most cases, the trades occurred when the quarterbacks were in their football dotage, though.

Montana was 36. The great Johnny Unitas was only a shadow of himself, and about as mobile as a statue, when traded to San Diego in 1973, and he lost his starting job to a rookie named Dan Fouts that year. Joe Namath had only one mediocre season left in him when traded from the Jets to the Rams in 1977. Only Fran Tarkenton (Minnesota to the New York Giants in 1967) and Steve Young (Tampa Bay to San Francisco in 1987) were in their 20-something years, both traded while still in their primes.

From the standpoints of youth, accomplishments in the league and physical potential, perhaps Jeff George (Indianapolis to Atlanta in 1993) is the only quarterback traded at all recently who is comparable to Cutler overall. George was 25 at the time of the trade, had been the Colts' starter for three seasons and, at least physically, was regarded by many scouts as a sky-is-the-limit prospect. And we all know how that turned out.

Despite his obvious problems with temperament, and his distaste for rookie coach McDaniels, Cutler is a tremendous talent. If reports are to be believed, suitors were lined up to get him, and that's hardly surprising. Kudos to Chicago general manager Jerry Angelo for closing the deal.

"Really, you have to pinch yourself because players like that, and particularly at that position, simply aren't on the market," the NFL personnel man said just hours before the trade was completed. "It just doesn't happen in this league." Cutler's detractors emphasize that he is sub-.500 in the only statistic that really matters for a quarterback, wins and losses. In 37 starts, the former Vanderbilt star is 17-20. There are, however, some mitigating circumstances worth noting. For instance, Cutler is 8-1 in games when the Denver defense held opponents to 20 or fewer points. In Cutler's 20 losses, the porous Broncos allowed an average of 32.5 points per game. That's a tough mountain for any quarterback to have to climb.

When it comes to pure numbers, the 1989 trade in which Dallas acquired tailback Herschel Walker from Minnesota, is recognized as the biggest in NFL history. A total of 18 "bodies" (players and draft choices) changed teams between the Cowboys and Vikings in that megadeal. There are five other trades in league history that involved 10 or more bodies. Notably, only one of those deals included a veteran quarterback, and he was a backup.

So in terms of impact and significance, if not raw numbers, the Cutler trade almost certainly ranks among the most notable in NFL history.

Vic Carucci's take....

If Jay Cutler was a bad fit in the Denver Broncos' new offense, he might very well be a perfect fit in a scheme the Chicago Bears have been running for years.And if that proves to be the case, Cutler's potential impact is taking the Bears from a second-place, non-playoff team to the top of the NFC North -- and perhaps even on a deep run into the postseason.Cutler is an enormous quarterbacking upgrade for the Bears, who clearly did not see themselves becoming a contender with Kyle Orton under center. Orton's inconsistency and injury-prone history gave the Bears little chance to ever develop a strong enough passing game that would provide a legitimate complement to a highly effective ground game.That was the main reason the Bears were willing to give up as much as they did -- and it was plenty -- to provide a new home for a quarterback who did not mesh with the offensive philosophy and vision of first-year Broncos coach Josh McDaniels. Another reason, according to multiple league insiders, was to keep Cutler away from two division opponents (the Vikings and Lions) that were known to have an interest in him and that could easily have become much better by making the trade."Keeping him away from those teams was almost as important to the Bears as getting him for themselves," one NFL coach said.By all accounts, Cutler -- provided his Mile High soap-opera drama doesn't resurface in the Windy City -- should get along just fine with Bears offensive coordinator Ron Turner.Unlike McDaniels, Turner does not employ a passing game that often acts as a second running game. He is not asking his quarterback to take a controlled, methodical approach that frequently requires spreading the field and finding open receivers underneath the coverage.What Turner does is what Cutler was used to in Denver: Pound the ball on the ground, force the defense to crowd the line, and then cut it loose with his throwing arm.The Bears do have some issues with their pass protection. Their signing of veteran tackle Orlando Pace, who will go down as one of the game's best to play his position, will help. But Pace's age and inability to stay healthy are a concern. Giving up first- and third-round picks in this month's draft will limit the Bears' ability to help their offensive line.However, Turner's run-first mentality should go a long way toward helping to protect Cutler. It has never been Turner's way to expose his quarterback to a ridiculous pounding by having him throw too often and including too many long-developing routes in his game plan.Presuming that all works as planned, the Bears clearly can thrive this season when you consider their soft schedule and the fact they have, by far, the best quarterback in their division.The Green Bay Packers are solid with Aaron Rodgers, but he still has some developing to do. The Vikings will pick a starter from one of two unaccomplished candidates -- Sage Rosenfels and Tarvaris Jackson. The Lions are likely to find their quarterback in the draft, but it is unlikely that a rookie (whether he is Matthew Stafford or Mark Sanchez or anyone else) is going to make an impact this year.Here are some other reasons that trading for Cutler makes such good sense for the Bears:» His strong arm will allow him to be effective in the inclement weather with which the Bears deal in the middle and late portions of the season at Chicago and places such as Green Bay.» The Bears already have one of the most dynamic running backs in the league in Matt Forte, who had a sensational rookie season in 2008. Cutler's big and talented arm will make Forte even more effective.» The Bears' defense struggled last season, but is capable of making strides. It is notable that it ranked fifth in the NFL against the run, although the fact it was 30th against the pass and most opponents were able to move the ball successfully through the air had something to do with that. The point-scoring capability that Cutler brings should also help the defensive effort.» The Bears' special teams are strong, and the field-position game can only bring out the best in a good quarterback."(The Bears) gave up a lot," linebacker Brian Urlacher was quoted as saying by the Chicago Tribune. "Cutler must be pretty good. I guess we got better as a team."You guessed right, Brian.
Im just freakin giddy tonight

I am sorry guys.... keep the hope up but I just do not see the Bears being serious enough to land Cutler. If the Vikings land Cutler then the Bears should just go into rebuilding mode right away because the Vikings will own the division for the next few years for sure and perhaps years to come after that. I think being the missing piece there that should mean the Vikings go after him big time and they have a recent history of making big trade deals, such as getting Jared Allen. The Jets will likely go after him hard too being they need a QB and have a history of making that happen (obviously Farve from last year). We all know the Bucs are always willing to deal for a new QB. Basically, the Bears have shown an extreme amount of conservative moves this off-season and there have been stories that this is based on ownership pulling back the purse. Of course, there is always the possibility and heck, the thought of the Vikings getting him should be more of an incentive to block them even than how much of a boost it would be for the Bears. But, the Bears are on the lower side of my list of possibilities for where he lands.
I see about a 1% chance
I was in here the other day chaecking on the Bears OL moves this off-season and Mr. Flap didn't have a kind word to say about his Bears. Just curious if he has returned to comment on teh 1 percent chance of getting Cutler?Congrats to you guys on the big move!

I am sorry guys.... keep the hope up but I just do not see the Bears being serious enough to land Cutler. If the Vikings land Cutler then the Bears should just go into rebuilding mode right away because the Vikings will own the division for the next few years for sure and perhaps years to come after that. I think being the missing piece there that should mean the Vikings go after him big time and they have a recent history of making big trade deals, such as getting Jared Allen. The Jets will likely go after him hard too being they need a QB and have a history of making that happen (obviously Farve from last year). We all know the Bucs are always willing to deal for a new QB. Basically, the Bears have shown an extreme amount of conservative moves this off-season and there have been stories that this is based on ownership pulling back the purse. Of course, there is always the possibility and heck, the thought of the Vikings getting him should be more of an incentive to block them even than how much of a boost it would be for the Bears. But, the Bears are on the lower side of my list of possibilities for where he lands.
I see about a 1% chance
I was in here the other day chaecking on the Bears OL moves this off-season and Mr. Flap didn't have a kind word to say about his Bears. Just curious if he has returned to comment on teh 1 percent chance of getting Cutler?Congrats to you guys on the big move!
To be fair, I dont think anybody took the Bears seriously as contenders for Cutler.Knowing flap, Im sure he is VERY happy about this. This is just the thing he has been railing the Bears for not doing the last few years. Not that something like this was ever possible until now, but just showing this kind of agressiveness in making the team better.

I see about a 1% chance
He told me he's estatic about it

I love Ditka's reaction. "If Cutler comes here makes the team successful, the fans will love him for a long time. I can tell you that". :popcorn:

Today was the date that season ticket invoices were due as well. Not a bad way to say "thank you for your payment". :popcorn:

Schlereth saying the Bears team got WORSE today. :goodposting: :lol: :cry: :cry: :lmao: :lmao:

eta: Also says Bears are 3rd best in the division, just above Detroit, worst single season in history last year. :lmao: Please Stop! :lmao:

FYI: The Bears still have 7 picks this draft, including a 3rd rounder(extra 3rd round compensatory pick this year). Still plenty of picks left. :thumbup:

After further thought, I'm not sure how happy I am about this trade. Schlereth apparently has insider information that we traded away all of our picks in 2009 and 2010. That's way too much for Cutler. :confused:

If the Bears DON'T bring in Holt or Harrison for at least interviews now, especially Holt due to the connections with Lovie, should we see this as a real indictment of them, in terms of how much they have left in the tank?

If their football skills are still intact, they both present intriguing options for diversifying the Offense and giving Cutler a dependable, savvy veteran target capable of making clutch catches, potential for YAC and keeping drives moving forward, but moreso a mentoring role for a largely young and inexperienced WR Corps currently on the Roster?

On another tangent, Kevin Jones presents a decent target out of the backfield - anyone giving any serious consideration to him being utilized in that role, and possibly cutting into Forte's touches, and cutting into everyone's receiving numbers somewhat?

Wow.... rejoice Chicago and all who love the Bears- rejoice. I am stunned. Now you need at least one real WR to go with your new toy.
Do not under estimate Earl Bennett.....he knows Cutler well. That helps.....
Sure, Earl Bennett's fantasy value just increased but I am not sold on the idea that Earl is the savior of the WR corps for the Bears. There is no #1. Hester's speed becomes of more use now with Cutler's arm but he will never be a true NFL #1. I do think that the Bears will draft a WR in the 2nd. There should be good value there in this draft anyways. Maybe they hit a home run there. The smart thing to do is bring in a vet (there are some decent ones available) and not try to act like the answer in the WR corps is on the team and they just need another decent fit throught the draft to add. No way around it, the Bears have a new toy but to really get the most out of it, they need to bring in some WR talent either FA or by the draft or both.

After further thought, I'm not sure how happy I am about this trade. Schlereth apparently has insider information that we traded away all of our picks in 2009 and 2010. That's way too much for Cutler. :o
Schlereth also does not know that Lloyd and Davis are not our top 2 WRs for this year (Hester and Bennett down?)Also, he did not get the memo that we signed Orlando Pace; Schaffer and Omilaye. And that Chris Williams is healthy now. He is such a tool who is just mad that his beloved Broncos pissed off and had to give up on a young, franchise, pro bowl QB.

Wow.... rejoice Chicago and all who love the Bears- rejoice. I am stunned. Now you need at least one real WR to go with your new toy.
Sure, Earl Bennett's fantasy value just increased but I am not sold on the idea that Earl is the savior of the WR corps for the Bears. There is no #1. Hester's speed becomes of more use now with Cutler's arm but he will never be a true NFL #1. I do think that the Bears will draft a WR in the 2nd. There should be good value there in this draft anyways. Maybe they hit a home run there. The smart thing to do is bring in a vet (there are some decent ones available) and not try to act like the answer in the WR corps is on the team and they just need another decent fit throught the draft to add. No way around it, the Bears have a new toy but to really get the most out of it, they need to bring in some WR talent either FA or by the draft or both.
I remember when Brady was suppose to put David Terrel on the map in New England. Let's not look too much into this.

If the Bears DON'T bring in Holt or Harrison for at least interviews now, especially Holt due to the connections with Lovie, should we see this as a real indictment of them, in terms of how much they have left in the tank?If their football skills are still intact, they both present intriguing options for diversifying the Offense and giving Cutler a dependable, savvy veteran target capable of making clutch catches, potential for YAC and keeping drives moving forward, but moreso a mentoring role for a largely young and inexperienced WR Corps currently on the Roster?On another tangent, Kevin Jones presents a decent target out of the backfield - anyone giving any serious consideration to him being utilized in that role, and possibly cutting into Forte's touches, and cutting into everyone's receiving numbers somewhat?
Before this offseason, I think I ranked need in this order: OL, QB, Safety, WR, DL, Cb. OLgonna be tough to cram more linemin in the Oline unless they're looking to bring in even more competition., so this need is closer to beeing met, which is unreal. Already bringing veterans bodes well for the offenseive line play Goal METQB Cutler obtained. Goal metSafeties To put it lightly, they're freaking horrible. Awful, Grotesque. Something needs to be done quickly about this position, which I think it will be, wether in draft of FA's remainingWR Yet to make any big moves but there is still Holt and Harrision out thereI put the DL and CB positition in a similar level. At the very least, we need try and solidify our line with long-term consistent lineman Afterwards, she need top continuing to lookf for further secondary improvementShoot away

Do not forget how many times the Bears throw to their TEs...Olsen and Des Clark combined catch more passes than many WR1s. People tend to underestimate the importance of TEs in an O. For eg the Bills have TO and Lee Evans but they have no other pass catching options (no TEs for eg). The Chiefs had a pretty solid O for many years with Eddie Kennison and Tony Gonzalez as their 2 pass catching options.With a 2nd and 3rd round draft pick available this year, I have no doubt we will get a WR with one of them. By getting Omilaye, Orlando Pace and Schaffer, we do not need to get an OL with the 2nd or 3rd rounder this year anymore.

I remember when Brady was suppose to put David Terrel on the map in New England. Let's not look too much into this.
But Cutler does have history with Bennett. Do not underestimate that either. Qbs love throwing to WRs with whom they have chemistry.

I think that signing one of the FA WRs will give Angelo the flexibility to select the BPA in the 2nd round. I think that a S would be an ideal choice IF we can get a veteran WR. I like the thought of Harrison more than Holt, personally. I think that we need a guy to catch those short to intermediate passes and mentor the young guys. That sounds like Harrison to me. Don't get me wrong I would love to have Holt, but I just think that he wants to go back home and finish his career there (Ten).

PS - Still in shock that the Bears managed to land a franchise QB.

What happens on the Oline?

LT-Pace

LG-Frank Omiyale or Beekman

C-Kreutz

RG-Garza, Buenning

RT-Williams or Shaffer

Any chance the Bears throw Shaffer in at RG?

Ok now for the rest of the offseason....b/c we need to make some moves...lol.

Saftey isn't an issue. Lost Mike Brown....but here is who the Bears have at saftey and their ages.

Craig Steltz 22

Kevin Payne 25

Daniel Manning 26

Josh Bullocks 26

Glenn Earl 27

I really don't see the Bears drafting a Saftey unless some great value presents itself. Angelo signed both Earl and Bullocks for a reason.

WR- The Bears have Devin Hester, Earl Bennett, Rashied Davis, Devin Aromashodu, John Broussard, Brandon Rideau.

They clearly need help in this department, but have some options. Hester is the deep threat, Bennett is either the slot or #2 and Davis is another slot. Nobody knows what the rest of the group represents.

While Torry Holt and Marvin Harrison are appealing....I wouldn't sign them, could sign Amani Toomer though. He could provide that bigger target and leadership for the WR's.

They need a big target/possession WR guy. Kenny Britt, Brian Robiske, Patrick Turner, Ramses Barden all are options in the draft.

The other area the Bears need to concentrate on is the defensive line.

DE-Brown and Ogunleye are solid but unspectacular starters the past two season and are getting up their in age, 29 and 31 respectively. Mark Anderson hasn't returned to form, Dan Bazuin(former 2nd round pick was released last year), and there is talk that Isreal Idonijie is being moved back to DE. The Bears need a pass rusher out of this draft, unless Marinelli can get this line back to the form it was a few years back.

Not too concerned at DT....Tommie will get his act together, liked what I saw from Marcus Harrison in his rookie season. Dusty is back from injury, again...he can be a backup(maybe stay more healthy this way) and Anthony Adams provides depth.

So to summarize, I think the Bears should get a pass rusher and let Marinelli develop him(would love Michael Johnson). Then a WR with size to both possess the ball and get some jump balls/red zone target(other than Olsen).

Way too excited to sleep last night. I just couldnt stop thinking of the countless times last year we saw Hester just DESTROY the chump trying to cover him, only to have Orton either overthrow him or underthrow him.

I cant freakin wait!

Where is flapgreen now? Did he faint or is he just afraid to eat some crow?
Eat crow for what? He was always justified in his trashing of Angelo.
Maybe to give JA some credit? Maybe to at least acknowledge that JA addressed a huge need even though flap thought that the Bears have no chance at getting Cutler? Maybe to say something positive for a change? I don't think he was ALWAYS justified in trashing Angelo. Angelo had his hands tied in many cases.

Maybe to give JA some credit? Maybe to at least acknowledge that JA addressed a huge need even though flap thought that the Bears have no chance at getting Cutler? Maybe to say something positive for a change? I don't think he was ALWAYS justified in trashing Angelo. Angelo had his hands tied in many cases.
This is the kind of agressiveness he wanted to see out of Angelo, in improving the team.....Im sure hes ecstaticAlot of people didnt think the Bears had a realistic chance at Cutler. Past history was not on our side.

This is the kind of agressiveness he wanted to see out of Angelo, in improving the team.....Im sure hes ecstaticAlot of people didnt think the Bears had a realistic chance at Cutler. Past history was not on our side.
Agreed, history was not on our side. I myself thought that the Bears would never give up 2 firsts. But in the end, you gotta give JA some props. A small part of me is still concerned he may bust, but i think it was worth the chance. The Bears would have to pay SOME QB some big money next year anyway. Orton's contract only had one year left anyway.

OK, so now I think that the Bears' priority is WR. I'm not sure who (of quality) will be available in the second round of the draft, so maybe they should address the need via FA. Who should we target? This is what's available:

T Holt

M Harrison

M Jones

P Burress (just released)

DJ Hackett

K Robinson

A Toomer

M Clayton

Anyone else?

But Cutler does have history with Bennett. Do not underestimate that either. Qbs love throwing to WRs with whom they have chemistry.
But the caveat is... thats good for Bennett far more then it is for the Bears.In the short term it may help a little, but long term Bennett has to be worthy of even being on the field.His talent will dictate that, not his college days revisted. After a few weeks of camp, he will have almost no advantage over anyone else on the roster stemming from his Vandy days.
:lmao:

LT-Pace

C-Kreutz

RG-Garza, Buenning

RT-Williams or Shaffer

Saftey isn't an issue. Lost Mike Brown....but here is who the Bears have at saftey and their ages.

Craig Steltz 22

Kevin Payne 25

Daniel Manning 26

Josh Bullocks 26

Glenn Earl 27

I really don't see the Bears drafting a Saftey unless some great value presents itself. Angelo signed both Earl and Bullocks for a reason.

WR- The Bears have Devin Hester, Earl Bennett, Rashied Davis, Devin Aromashodu, John Broussard, Brandon Rideau.

They clearly need help in this department, but have some options. Hester is the deep threat, Bennett is either the slot or #2 and Davis is another slot. Nobody knows what the rest of the group represents.

While Torry Holt and Marvin Harrison are appealing....I wouldn't sign them, could sign Amani Toomer though. He could provide that bigger target and leadership for the WR's.

They need a big target/possession WR guy. Kenny Britt, Brian Robiske, Patrick Turner, Ramses Barden all are options in the draft.

DE-Brown and Ogunleye are solid but unspectacular starters the past two season and are getting up their in age, 29 and 31 respectively. Mark Anderson hasn't returned to form, Dan Bazuin(former 2nd round pick was released last year), and there is talk that Isreal Idonijie is being moved back to DE. The Bears need a pass rusher out of this draft, unless Marinelli can get this line back to the form it was a few years back.

Not too concerned at DT....Tommie will get his act together, liked what I saw from Marcus Harrison in his rookie season. Dusty is back from injury, again...he can be a backup(maybe stay more healthy this way) and Anthony Adams provides depth.

So to summarize, I think the Bears should get a pass rusher and let Marinelli develop him(would love Michael Johnson). Then a WR with size to both possess the ball and get some jump balls/red zone target(other than Olsen).
No response to this guys?

LT-Pace

C-Kreutz

RG-Garza, Buenning

RT-Williams or Shaffer

Craig Steltz 22

Kevin Payne 25

Daniel Manning 26

Josh Bullocks 26

Glenn Earl 27

I think you hit some things on the head here, but I'm going to disagree with the WR/Safety talk. I think that the WRs we have on the team RIGHT NOW are better than the safeties we have on the team.Is Hester an #1, no, but he's an improving WR. Davis has shown he can be a solid slot player. With the way the Bears offense uses the TEs and RBs to catch passes, I'm okay with what we have. I would love to see the Bears sign a veteran FA, someone like Holt, Harrison, anyone really.

On the safety position, that group is bad! Steltz is a special teamer and backup. D.Manning makes the same mistakes over and over (think R.Wayne TD in catch in Super Bowl). Bullocks was a revolving door at New Orleans, heck if the Bears WRs torched him.

I think the more pressing need for this team is safety when compared to the WRs. I know that this is a FF site, so the glamour position is the WR, but I think for the Bears to make serious playoff run, then need to shore up that secondary, primarily that safety group.

LT-Pace

C-Kreutz

RG-Garza, Buenning

RT-Williams or Shaffer

Craig Steltz 22

Kevin Payne 25

Daniel Manning 26

Josh Bullocks 26

Glenn Earl 27

Those safeties are terrible. Steltz will never be more than average. Payne can lay some hits, but it woefully bad in coverage. Manning is absolutely terrible. He has athletic ability, but it's pretty clear he doesn't have the mental capacity to play the position. There are so many times he is out of position when covering. In the Houston game, he almost single handedly let them back into it by not covering Andre Johnson like he was supposed to for an easy uncovered TD, and then fumbling the ensuing kickoff. And that blown coverage is pretty characteristic of him, there's tons of examples. The most notorious of which is the uncovered Wayne TD in the Superbowl. I'd have to go back and watch the tape, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was supposed to be the guy back there covering Berrian when Tillman came off of him expecting safety help and the momentum of that Viking game completely shifted. We need safety help - BAD. The pass rush should come around if we could get a healthy Tommie Harris, but we simply have to have some safety help to play this defense. Safety is one of the most important positions in the cover 2, look at Indy with and without Bob Sanders.WR, I do agree that some of these guys are an unkown quantity because of the terrible QB play here. We've had guys leave and become successful in other systems with better passing attacks, and look at what the same receivers Vick was ruining did with Ryan. But none of these guys really comes with any sort of pedigree to lead one to believe they were simply being held back by this system either. It's safe to say we'll be able to evaluate WR talent that comes through here a lot better with someone to get them the ball - I don't think this current group of guys is the answer though.

LT-Pace

C-Kreutz

RG-Garza, Buenning

RT-Williams or Shaffer

Craig Steltz 22

Kevin Payne 25

Daniel Manning 26

Josh Bullocks 26

Glenn Earl 27

Those safeties are terrible. Steltz will never be more than average. Payne can lay some hits, but it woefully bad in coverage. Manning is absolutely terrible. He has athletic ability, but it's pretty clear he doesn't have the mental capacity to play the position. There are so many times he is out of position when covering. In the Houston game, he almost single handedly let them back into it by not covering Andre Johnson like he was supposed to for an easy uncovered TD, and then fumbling the ensuing kickoff. And that blown coverage is pretty characteristic of him, there's tons of examples. The most notorious of which is the uncovered Wayne TD in the Superbowl. I'd have to go back and watch the tape, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was supposed to be the guy back there covering Berrian when Tillman came off of him expecting safety help and the momentum of that Viking game completely shifted. We need safety help - BAD. The pass rush should come around if we could get a healthy Tommie Harris, but we simply have to have some safety help to play this defense. Safety is one of the most important positions in the cover 2, look at Indy with and without Bob Sanders.WR, I do agree that some of these guys are an unkown quantity because of the terrible QB play here. We've had guys leave and become successful in other systems with better passing attacks, and look at what the same receivers Vick was ruining did with Ryan. But none of these guys really comes with any sort of pedigree to lead one to believe they were simply being held back by this system either. It's safe to say we'll be able to evaluate WR talent that comes through here a lot better with someone to get them the ball - I don't think this current group of guys is the answer though.
Luckily, I think Manning will stick strictly to nickel back this year. He's not bad there, and that's a place that his athletic ability can really shine. So he won't be out on the field on every play, and he hopefully won't have to be in coverage too much. But, the safeties still suck. Payne is fine as a SS, but FS is a huge need for this team. If WR is a virtual lock in the second round, then FS is just as much a virtual lock in the third.

Users who are viewing this thread