What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Offical Chicago Bears 2009 Offseason Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Max Power

Footballguy
Someone had to start this one. Lets hit on the issues...

1) 18th pick in the NFL draft. Who should we look at? I love Mays, the Safety from USC, but doubt he will last this long.

2) Caps space 17.4 m. http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-7-45...lary--caps.html What should we do?

3) FA. Where do we look? Who do we let go?

My vote is to let Mike Brown walk. Some reports have the Bears intrested in Leftwich. I'm not thrilled, but would like him over Grossman.

4) Bears sign Marinelli... Thoughts? http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11245465

I Like him as a DL coach only. Should be a nice addition.

What would you like to see and who would you like to see brought in?

Last edited by a moderator:
Per: http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2009/01/08/2...view-nfc-north/

Key FAs:

-QB Rex Grossman: this really is the end of his career in Chicago, as Orton stepped up this season. Should probably be able to find a back up job somewhere, though.

-WR Brandon Lloyd: part of the Bears’ miserable crop of WRs, will be let go, and may find it hard to ever get a job in the NFL again.

-TE Desmond Clark: the Bears have been successful running a two tight end system, but I think they will cut ties with Clark this offseason and go strictly with Greg Olsen.

-OT John St. Clair: did a better than expected job protecting Orton’s blind side, but will give way to first round pick Chris Williams, who missed the majority of the season with back problems. May be re signed to play guard.

-S Mike Brown: injuries have really hurt what looked to be a promising career, and yet again he finds himself on the I.R. at the end of this season. He may have worn out his welcome in Chicago, but is a great player when healthy.

Needs: WR, OL, DE, S

Someone had to start this one. Lets hit on the issues...

1) 18th pick in the NFL draft. Who should we look at? I love Mays, the Safety from USC, but doubt he will last this long.

2) Caps space 17.4 m. http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-7-45...lary--caps.html What should we do?

3) FA. Where do we look? Who do we let go?

My vote is to let Mike Brown walk. Some reports have the Bears intrested in Leftwich. I'm not thrilled, but would like him over Grossman.

4) Bears sign Marinelli... Thoughts? http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11245465

I Like him as a DL coach only. Should be a nice addition.

What would you like to see and who would you like to see brought in?
ETA: How did you like the 2008 Draft? Do Bennett or Williams have NFL level Talent?

The big question entering this year is what to do with the offensive and defensive lines. Both areas need some fresh blood. The offensive line player above their heads last year but they are getting up their in age and some new young talent is needed. It remains to be seen how Williams (last year's #1) will pan out due to his injury. I would expect the Bears to address this need in the draft.

On the defensive side of the ball, the Bears need to get better. In order for a Cover 2 system to work you need pressure from your front 4. T.Harris is hurting and A.Brown is above average but after that the cupboard is bare. M.Harrison played well in spots but needs to bring his game up an other level. M.Anderson is MIA, we really need his 13 sacks. Ogunleye is overrated, but because of what we have he's playing more than he should. The Bears have tried to address this need in the past through the draft, but perhaps free agency is the route here?

Another major project to fix is our terrible secondary. D.Manning should never be on the field other than kickoffs. Tillman should move to safety and that means we need CBs.

The list can go on and on for the Bears. I really don't think that this team is a 9 win team and they seem to play above themselves. Ugh

I wish our lines would get bigger and stronger, but I doubt that will happen with Lovie Smith coaching.

I think our worst position last year was defensive end. There is so much on that position in Lovie's D, and we got NOTHING out of it all year. Was definitely the #1 reason we got shredded by the pass on a weekly basis. Our pressure on the qb has to improve, and that should be goal #1.

Could really use some new guards also, tougher and more physical guards. Hopefully Chris Williams plays well at LT, Tait is fine on the right side for another year or two. Kreutz is nearing the end but I think Beekman might be the next in line there, and Im ok with that.

Clearly need a legit #1 wr, but highly doubt its even possible for next year. I could see Angelo adding a guy like Bryant Johnson or some kind of castoff like that, and trying to convince us he will add to a "rotation" at receiver. Blah

I wouldnt have a problem going into the season with Orton as the starting qb.

Finally, I wonder what the chances are that Briggs and Urlacher swap positions. Urlacher is not an effective MLB anymore.

Will Carolina be able to keep both Jordan Gross AND Julius Peppers? I would be interested in both, but most teams in the league would be also. Bears arent the type of team to make that big of a splash.

Ravens have Ray Lewis, Bart Scott and Terrell Suggs as free agents. Suggs is the exact kind of DE that Lovie looks for. Undersized and fast.

The Bears are last in the group at $17.4 million, but that right there is more than enough room to make any and all moves general manager Jerry Angelo has in mind for the offseason.

When you factor in what should be a credit of more than $9 million for cornerback Marcus Hamilton, the Bears should have more than $26 million in cap room under what is expected to be a $123 million cap ceiling. The cap used to be a much greater factor than it is now. You don't see cap casualties like you used to and nearly every team has ample flexibility. That the Bears have the least amount of money available in the division, per the Seifert report that is worth checking out, is proof enough.

So, when it comes to putting together the offseason shopping list, the Bears will be focused on cash, not cap. It will come down to how much money team president Ted Phillips allocates to the roster.

Here's a look at the Bears' top salary-cap figures for 2009:

1. MLB Brian Urlacher $9,685,505

2. DT Tommie Harris $9,090,000

3. WR Devin Hester $6,885,883

4. LB Lance Briggs $6,766,666

5. DE Adewale Ogunleye $6,465,576

6. RT John Tait $5,350,000

7. CB Nathan Vasher $4,866,666

8. CB Charles Tillman $4,716,666

For what it's worth, running back Cedric Benson will count $2,509,000 in dead money vs. the cap.

It's not surprise that six of the top eight players are on defense. Barring significant change, the Bears will once again be one of the top-invested franchises in the league when it comes to money dedicated to defensive players under the salary cap. Only the Baltimore Ravens had more money allocated for defense under the cap this season than the Bears. The Ravens are a win away from the AFC Championship Game. The Bears finished ranked 21st in the league.
http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2009/01/be...ason_salar.html

Unbelievable

Only the Baltimore Ravens had more money allocated for defense under the cap this season than the Bears. The Ravens are a win away from the AFC Championship Game. The Bears finished ranked 21st in the league.

Unbelievable

Only the Baltimore Ravens had more money allocated for defense under the cap this season than the Bears. The Ravens are a win away from the AFC Championship Game. The Bears finished ranked 21st in the league.
And we only had 1 Pro-Bowler to show for it. This team seemed to get old fast. Hopefully bringing in a new DC will inject some life into this bunch.

Now that general manager Jerry Angelo has established quarterback as the Bears' highest priority, I'm thinking about Michael Vick. He's scheduled to be released from prison July 20, and he has made it clear he wants to resume his football career. He's an intriguing possibility for a team in search of quarterback help. I wonder if this town could forgive his crimes.Before his hidden life became public knowledge, Vick was the most exciting player in the NFL and one of its most popular players, as well. The former No. 1 overall pick is a three-time Pro Bowl selection and took the Falcons to the playoffs twice. And while he wasn't a great passer, his running ability made him a constant threat. Defenses had to respect him, and they did.Let's assume he will leave federal prison rehabilitated in every way. Let's assume he has learned the serious nature of his crimes and is repentant. Let's assume he is drug-free. Let's assume that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell reinstates him. Under these circumstances, is there any reason why the Bears shouldn't be interested in him?No, we don't know what kind of shape he'll be in after nearly two years in prison. But Vick always has been a remarkable athlete, and he's only 28. Good quarterbacks are tough to develop and tough to find on the open market. The position has been a particular challenge for the Bears throughout franchise history. Not that I'm ruling Kyle Orton out of the picture, mind you. But Angelo has made his priorities clear. If nothing else, he wants to see competition at the position. Vick would do the trick.
Suntimes.com January 6, 2009 BY CAROL SLEZAK cslezak@suntimes.com Oh boy. Like the talent, but don't think he would be a good fit with the Bears

Curious on what you guys are thinking the Bears are going to do with their 1st round pick? I have no clue where they may go with that one?

Depending on who's available I'd like to see the Bears get a safety in the first round. I haven't been impressed at all with Kevin Payne and Mike Brown obviously can't be counted on to stay healthy.

Not sure if he will resign with Cincy, but I'd love to see the Bears make a serious run at T.J. Housh, he is the type of established, steady possesion receiver this offense sorely needs to compliment Hester's big play ability.

Jeremy Maclin
I hope not. I pray the Bears don't go WR in round 1. This team just doesn't know how to evaluate and develop WRs. Part of me hopes they make a play for Housh this offseason. While doubtful, I really think this is the type of move the Bears need to make. Too bad we get cheap most years when it comes to FA

Depending on who's available I'd like to see the Bears get a safety in the first round. I haven't been impressed at all with Kevin Payne and Mike Brown obviously can't be counted on to stay healthy.Not sure if he will resign with Cincy, but I'd love to see the Bears make a serious run at T.J. Housh, he is the type of established, steady possesion receiver this offense sorely needs to compliment Hester's big play ability.
:kicksrock: I'm on board with Housh. Not holding my breath though

Jeremy Maclin
I hope not. I pray the Bears don't go WR in round 1. This team just doesn't know how to evaluate and develop WRs. Part of me hopes they make a play for Housh this offseason. While doubtful, I really think this is the type of move the Bears need to make. Too bad we get cheap most years when it comes to FA
I would love for the Bears to add Housh and draft a RT or Vonte Davis or a FS.....but in reality.Most of the quality OT's will be gone, Taylor Mays is going back to school, and the Bears are too cheap for Housh.So adding a playmaker like Maclin....who opposite Hester would scare defenses and leaving room for Forte.Maclin has size (6-1), speed, and agility to become a big time threat.

Jeremy Maclin
I would love for the Bears to add Housh and draft a RT or Vonte Davis or a FS.....but in reality.Most of the quality OT's will be gone, Taylor Mays is going back to school, and the Bears are too cheap for Housh.So adding a playmaker like Maclin....who opposite Hester would scare defenses and leaving room for Forte.Maclin has size (6-1), speed, and agility to become a big time threat.
I didn't hear Mays was going back. Thats too bad.Don't get me wrong, I like Maclin's talent. I'm just not sure the Bears can develop him properly.

Maclin or Percy (Florida) might be available and the best fit at 18. Otherwise, I would go DE if any value exists there at 18.

Maclin or Percy (Florida) might be available and the best fit at 18. Otherwise, I would go DE if any value exists there at 18.
I'd like to see them go either DE or S with the first rounder, then look for the best left available of Jeremy Maclin, Percy Harvin, Derrius Heyward-Bey, Hakeem Nicks, or Kenny Britt in the second round. This, of course, is based on the assumption that they won't shell out any money for Housh.

Jeremy Maclin
I didn't hear Mays was going back. Thats too bad.Don't get me wrong, I like Maclin's talent. I'm just not sure the Bears can develop him properly.
Yeh I understand that.I feel that marinelli will develop what we have on the Dline and perhaps draft a potential pass rusher late(Mark Andersonish).But think of a young skill group of Forte, Olsen, Hester, Maclin....thats a ton of speed and athletic ability that the bears don't normally have.Plus teams couldn't put 8 in the box or double hester.

Unbelievable

And we only had 1 Pro-Bowler to show for it. This team seemed to get old fast. Hopefully bringing in a new DC will inject some life into this bunch.
There seems to be two things that the past Bear D's that were on top had that the one we see now does not. 1) A DT that makes an impact next to Tommie Harris. 2) A good S. You can see the difference in the D with a healthy Brown vs someone else plugged in. Night and day.

Seems like Lovey and Angelo have differing opinions on QB. Angelo says it's the #1 priority, Lovey says he's very happy with Orton and trusts him with the offense completely. He then said today that Angelo may have been talking about a backup QB, differentiating the 2 opinions.

I'd like to send some interest over to Arizona for Boldin. They won't want to give him the same contract as Fitz since they have to resign Warner as well. They'd want some defensive help, and next year is Boldin's last contract year. They won't let him walk for free as a FA. I say send them Urlacher+ for Boldin. Brian is done. Move Briggs into the middle so he can be "the man" as he's always wanted, and let Roach play outside.

I heard a rumor the Bears could go after Haynesworth. He and Harris would be a monster middle. Now if Mark Anderson could produce like his rookie year. I would be suprised to see Ogunleye stay with the Bears.

I really miss Chris Harris.. we need a veteran safety, and Brown is too old and too slow now.

Mark Anderson hasn't developed as complete DE. Anderson struggles against the run and his 13 sacks were attributed to the outstanding D-Line performance that year. Anderson may not even be on the roster next season if Marinelli can't help him turn the corner or if the Bears draft a DE.

I can't see Haynesworth as a Bear next season because of the crazy $ he will want and because of perceived character issues.

Picking up Housh makes sense as long as the Bears don't overpay.

Safety is a obvious concern. There was talk of moving Peanut to FS, but then who's your CB? Will Vasher return to form or is he demoted to Nickel Back?

I'm very curious to see what Chris Williams can do. I think Tait is done and might not be on the roster this year unless he takes a pay cut.

Seems like Lovey and Angelo have differing opinions on QB. Angelo says it's the #1 priority, Lovey says he's very happy with Orton and trusts him with the offense completely. He then said today that Angelo may have been talking about a backup QB, differentiating the 2 opinions.I'd like to send some interest over to Arizona for Boldin. They won't want to give him the same contract as Fitz since they have to resign Warner as well. They'd want some defensive help, and next year is Boldin's last contract year. They won't let him walk for free as a FA. I say send them Urlacher+ for Boldin. Brian is done. Move Briggs into the middle so he can be "the man" as he's always wanted, and let Roach play outside.I heard a rumor the Bears could go after Haynesworth. He and Harris would be a monster middle. Now if Mark Anderson could produce like his rookie year. I would be suprised to see Ogunleye stay with the Bears.I really miss Chris Harris.. we need a veteran safety, and Brown is too old and too slow now.
:goodposting: I like everything you said here. Urlacher+ for Boldin would be a steal. Haynesworth + Harris would be terrifying. Watching Chris Harris knock people around for Carolina hurts.

Seems like Lovey and Angelo have differing opinions on QB. Angelo says it's the #1 priority, Lovey says he's very happy with Orton and trusts him with the offense completely. He then said today that Angelo may have been talking about a backup QB, differentiating the 2 opinions.I'd like to send some interest over to Arizona for Boldin. They won't want to give him the same contract as Fitz since they have to resign Warner as well. They'd want some defensive help, and next year is Boldin's last contract year. They won't let him walk for free as a FA. I say send them Urlacher+ for Boldin. Brian is done. Move Briggs into the middle so he can be "the man" as he's always wanted, and let Roach play outside.I heard a rumor the Bears could go after Haynesworth. He and Harris would be a monster middle. Now if Mark Anderson could produce like his rookie year. I would be suprised to see Ogunleye stay with the Bears.I really miss Chris Harris.. we need a veteran safety, and Brown is too old and too slow now.
:moneybag: I like everything you said here. Urlacher+ for Boldin would be a steal. Haynesworth + Harris would be terrifying. Watching Chris Harris knock people around for Carolina hurts.
I think we are dreaming here a bit. I don't think Url holds much value in the trade market. He is a declining player with a huge salary. Boldin is only 28 and should have atleast another 3-4 All Pro years left in him. The + we are talking would be something substantial. Sad thing is that IF the Bears would go after Haynesworth, that might give them the best D in football. However its going to be too much money to throw at one position and there is probably little to no chance the Bears go this route.

All these other scenarios are fine and dandy, but they better, BETTER do something about a pass rush going into next season.

I cant take watching another season where every opposing qb just gets to stand back and pick the average secondary apart.

All these other scenarios are fine and dandy, but they better, BETTER do something about a pass rush going into next season.I cant take watching another season where every opposing qb just gets to stand back and pick the average secondary apart.
Agree 100%. A good pass rush will make an average secondary a good one. We need people to rush the passer....plain and simple. Get er done

Here is what I think.

Some will disagree, but I would love to here some opinions.

Def:

I like Tillman and Corey Graham at CB. Payne is ok. The Bears need a FS BAD. Vasher really has struggled with his play and injuries the last two years. Talk was of him being released, which I would have no problem with.

Urlacher has lost a few steps, but isn't going anywhere. Briggs is obviously a Pro-Bowler. People are very high on Nick Roach. I really don't know about him, so I'll take there word for it.

D-Line - Harris and Brown are set. Harrison did play well, not 100% sure he is the answer, but the bears have bigger needs. The need a pass rushing D End.

OFF:

QB- I seem to be in the minority here, but Kyle Orton doesn't do it for me. The guy CAN NOT throw the ball downfield. I know the Wr's the bears have stink, but there were plenty of times guys were open down the field and orton missed them. The bears will never win a super bowl with Kyle Orton.

RB- Forte is a very good RB, but they need a better backup.

Wr- Do I really have to say anything? Hester can make some plays, but he is a #3. He MIGHT be able to turn into a below average #2. But I would like two guys better than him. The rest of the WRs are garbage.

O-Line - These guys are old. Hopefully Williams pans out. They need some help here.

So......

Getting a franchise QB is the toughest thing to do. I am by no means an expert, but I want the bears to draft Mark Sanchez. IMO, he has was it takes to be a franchise QB. Will he? Who knows. I have no idea if he will even last to #18 and we know the bears won't trade up. Watching Mel Kiper he thinks sanchez will be a top 3 pick, so who knows.They probably would pass him anyways, but I can wish. I really like Stafford also, but he won't last to the bears.

They need FS, D-end, O-Line help and Wrs also, but Sanchez is who I am hoping for.

I just really dislike Kyle Orton and see zero chance of winning a super bowl with him. Hopefully they go after a Housh or Boldin, the draft a FS or Guard with the 2nd rd. pick and go from there. We'll see.

Good article today in the Trib about the Peppers making a run at Peppers. It's not a certainty but just an editors opinion, but it's a great idea. Peppers is exactly the player the Bears need.

It begs the question, do you think the Panthers will tag Peppers given his recent plea to move on? Do you think the Bears can make a realistic run at him?

Tillman Has Shoulder Surgery

Posted by Matt Loede on January 17th, 2009 filed in Injury Report, News

Charles “Peanut” Tillman is hoping to come back next season as a new man after undergoing reconstructive surgery on his right shoulder. The shoulder was originally injured week 4 against the Philadelphia Eagles but Tillman played through the pain, missing only one game after he doubled up hurting the other shoulder two weeks later at Atlanta. This is the second time Tillman has had surgery on his right shoulder the first being after 2005.

Now the pessimist will ask if it was Tillman’s bum shoulder that let ex-Bear Bernard Berrian loose for that 99 yard touchdown pass in Minnesota. But for the skeptics out there it should be noted that the last time Tillman caught serious ire from Bears fans was in 2005 when he got torched by Steve Smith and also played with a bum shoulder. The two years following Peanut came back at a Pro Bowl caliber level.

The question really shouldn’t be, will Tillman’s play return to its previous level? Over his six year career with the Bears he has proven to be one of their top defensive performers. The question is, what position will Charles Tillman be returning to and how will that effect the players around him?

It’s a question that is not likely to be answered for a long time, but given the Bears desperate need at free safety if one can’t be found in the draft or via free agency it could signal a move for Peanut. Talk of Tillman moving to safety is nothing new, former defensive coordinator Greg Blache thought he could be a Pro Bowler at the position when he was drafted in 2003. His coverage skills would certainly be welcome in a safety group that could rarely stop anyone this season.

Can they afford to lose him as a cornerback though? With plenty of doubt surrounding the return/revival of Nathan Vasher from two injury riddled years the move to safety for Tillman could leave the Bears with Corey Graham and not much else at the position. Not a welcome thought in a division filled with Berrian, Greg Jennings, and Calvin Johnson.

That more than anything will probably have Peanut back against the oppositions best WR, but a strong return for Vasher or the emergence of Zach Bowman could allow the Bears to make the switch. But cornerback or safety the Bears defense is at their best with a healthy Charles Tillman on the field.

Good article today in the Trib about the Peppers making a run at Peppers. It's not a certainty but just an editors opinion, but it's a great idea. Peppers is exactly the player the Bears need.It begs the question, do you think the Panthers will tag Peppers given his recent plea to move on? Do you think the Bears can make a realistic run at him?
We really could use Peppers or the other Panthers free agent Jordan Gross. Panthers will def tag one of em, but which?

Looks like Garrett Wolfe could get a bigger role in the Bears offense in 2009. The following thought comes from Brad Biggs over at the Chicago Sun-Times: If the Bears want to bring back Kevin Jones, he’ll have to want to come back. Jones is an unrestricted free agent after signing a one-year deal for the minimum-salary benefit. The vibe I get is that general manager Jerry Angelo would very much like to see Garrett Wolfe worked into the mix more. We don’t know if he can handle a role as a complementary back at this point because he simply has not had the chance. As Angelo explained, so much of the focus was on getting Matt Forte ready to carry the load as a rookie, that the rest of the players at the position were forced into lesser roles. You can’t rule out drafting a back but with more pressing needs I would expect Wolfe to get an opportunity with Adrian Peterson in place, yet again, as a fallback option.

Bears GM Jerry Angelo was asked about the role Devin Hester will have in 2009: “I want to make sure we are maximizing his playmaking ability,” said Angelo. “If that means more offense, so be it. If that means less offense and more concentrating on his return ability, maybe that’s the best plan.” Hester made huge strides as a receiver in ‘08, but Bears coaches were frustrated by the sudden drop-off in the return game.
This quote just pisses me off. Obviously the plan was for Hester to get more work at WR this season. His drop off in return TDs was to be expected. No way was he going to keep up the pace he was on. I just don't understand why Angelo would plan to have/make Hester the Bears go-to WR, just to have him on a short leash when the return game struggles.One or the other guy.

Looks like Garrett Wolfe could get a bigger role in the Bears offense in 2009. The following thought comes from Brad Biggs over at the Chicago Sun-Times: If the Bears want to bring back Kevin Jones, he’ll have to want to come back. Jones is an unrestricted free agent after signing a one-year deal for the minimum-salary benefit. The vibe I get is that general manager Jerry Angelo would very much like to see Garrett Wolfe worked into the mix more. We don’t know if he can handle a role as a complementary back at this point because he simply has not had the chance. As Angelo explained, so much of the focus was on getting Matt Forte ready to carry the load as a rookie, that the rest of the players at the position were forced into lesser roles. You can’t rule out drafting a back but with more pressing needs I would expect Wolfe to get an opportunity with Adrian Peterson in place, yet again, as a fallback option.
About effin time. We dont even know what we have in the guy yet. Wonder if we have to wait another 2 yrs to finally see Earl Bennet get on the field

All these other scenarios are fine and dandy, but they better, BETTER do something about a pass rush going into next season.I cant take watching another season where every opposing qb just gets to stand back and pick the average secondary apart.
Agree 100%. A good pass rush will make an average secondary a good one. We need people to rush the passer....plain and simple. Get er done
:goodposting: I will be dreading week one next year if they don't go to great lengths to strengthen the rush. The offensive and defensive lines need to be addressed. The lack of consistency on either side of the ball was due to the lack of push on both lines.

boubucarow said:
:wub: I will be dreading week one next year if they don't go to great lengths to strengthen the rush. The offensive and defensive lines need to be addressed. The lack of consistency on either side of the ball was due to the lack of push on both lines.
Im preparing myself now for them to not do a thing on the d-line, and just say that hiring Marinelli was enough to fix the problems. :wall: :wall: :wall:

Hey all,

Just wanted to see your guys prospects on Orton for next season?

Having trouble deciding on keeping Orton or T.Thigpen for next season (can only keep 1 QB keeper), do you think that the Bears will bring in competition to replace Grossman or draft a possible heir to the job?

Thanks all!

Hey all,Just wanted to see your guys prospects on Orton for next season?Having trouble deciding on keeping Orton or T.Thigpen for next season (can only keep 1 QB keeper), do you think that the Bears will bring in competition to replace Grossman or draft a possible heir to the job?Thanks all!
I think Orton played well enough to get the starting gig in 09. He showed some progress this year and should get better with more PT. The kid won't wow anyone, but he limits TOs and can make the throws when needed.Rumor is that Leftwich could be brought in to compete for the starting job. I could see either guy winning the job. Both has similar skill sets.Bottom line is that we never know what Jerry Angelo is up to. He has stated that bringing in a starting caliber QB is one of the biggest priorities this offseason. At the same time Lovie has said several times that he is happy with Orton and wants him to be the Guy in 09.

boubucarow said:
:rolleyes: I will be dreading week one next year if they don't go to great lengths to strengthen the rush. The offensive and defensive lines need to be addressed. The lack of consistency on either side of the ball was due to the lack of push on both lines.
Im preparing myself now for them to not do a thing on the d-line, and just say that hiring Marinelli was enough to fix the problems. :hifive: :hot: :wall:
Going off Kiper's report, DE is weak in this draft after the top 2-3. I think the Talent is still there along the front, hopefully Marinelli can help get this unit fired up again.

Nothing really insightful here but thought I would share....

Plenty of attractive pieces on market for Chicago Bears

Bears will find good options if they're willing to invest cash

By David Haugh | Tribune reporter

February 1, 2009

TAMPA - Monday officially begins the off-season. Even if free agency doesn't begin for another 25 days, Bears fans will bandy about many names over the next month that may or may not make sense for a team buoyed by watching a fellow 9-7 team play in the Super Bowl.

Quarterbacks

Chris Simms. Veteran leaving the Titans makes sense as Jerry Angelo seeks competition for Kyle Orton. If the choice ends up being Simms, whom the Bears have liked since the 2003 draft, it's a competition Orton likely will win — as many in the organization would prefer.

Byron Leftwich. Steelers backup dazzled media during Super Bowl week and charisma definitely would change the chemistry in the Bears' locker room. If healthy, Leftwich might possess the most ability of any free-agent quarterback on the market — and he will arrive at his next team intent on proving he still can play.

David Carr. Eli Manning's backup made a nice showing in Week 17 appearance against Vikings, but his next shot to start figures to come because of someone else's injury more than his own ability.

Kurt Warner. A Bears fan can dream, and Warner's agent, Mark Bartelstein, can promise to listen to teams in the open market, as any good agent would. But there's a better chance of snow in Phoenix next month than for the Cardinals to let Warner sign with another team. If Warner isn't a Cardinal next season, it likely will be because he retires rather than starting another phase of his career with a fourth team.

Donovan McNabb. Sorry, Chicago, McNabb announced Saturday he wants to retire as an Eagle. And the team is likely to bring him closer to that wish with a new contract.

Wide receivers

T.J. Houshmandzadeh. He will be a hotly pursued free agent and is already rumored to be targeted by the Seahawks. The Bears will have to decide how involved they want to be in the inevitable bidding war for the best available free-agent receiver, who will be happy to get out of Cincinnati.

Nate Washington. Steelers' surprising success story could be more affordable, but any team needs to avoid paying No. 2 money for a guy more likely to fit as a No. 3.

Mike Furrey. Lions reject knows Lovie Smith from Rams in '03 and Rod Marinelli from Detroit experience and would be a welcome addition to a wide receiver group that could use some toughness and reliable hands.

Anquan Boldin. Like Warner, he is a guy the Cardinals will be committed to keep, but he could demand a trade. They would be foolish to let him go.

Offensive tackles

John St. Clair. The Bears will try hard to re-sign St. Clair, who might be tempted to test the market. If Bears are successful in keeping the veteran who solidified the left side of the line, don't be surprised if he is penciled in as the starting right tackle ahead of John Tait heading into training camp.

Max Starks. The Steelers' left tackle has started in two Super Bowls and is only 27. So if he is available, teams in need of line stability such as the Bears need to at least explore the possibility.

Defensive line

Albert Haynesworth. Titan-ic force in the middle has scoffed at idea of a "hometown discount" and is rumored to want a six-year deal that will make him the highest-paid defensive player. The Bears might consider other needs more pressing, but what if Green Bay gets in the bidding?

Julius Peppers. Sack specialist has made noise about wanting to play in a 3-4 scheme — posturing by his agent to bring more teams into the bidding — but Carolina could use the franchise tag. It changed defensive coordinators, which might make a difference to Peppers. If not, the Bears have an obligation to get involved no matter the cost. Consider the investment part of a pass-rush stimulus package.

Cornerback

Nnamdi Asomugha. The Raiders figure to slap the franchise tag on Asomugha, but if Al Davis finds a way to screw it up, the Bears would be wise to make a run at one of the game's most underrated shut-down cornerbacks.

Hey all,Just wanted to see your guys prospects on Orton for next season?Having trouble deciding on keeping Orton or T.Thigpen for next season (can only keep 1 QB keeper), do you think that the Bears will bring in competition to replace Grossman or draft a possible heir to the job?Thanks all!
I think Orton played well enough to get the starting gig in 09. He showed some progress this year and should get better with more PT. The kid won't wow anyone, but he limits TOs and can make the throws when needed.Rumor is that Leftwich could be brought in to compete for the starting job. I could see either guy winning the job. Both has similar skill sets.Bottom line is that we never know what Jerry Angelo is up to. He has stated that bringing in a starting caliber QB is one of the biggest priorities this offseason. At the same time Lovie has said several times that he is happy with Orton and wants him to be the Guy in 09.
Orton can not make all the throws. He can't throw the ball downfield. Not sure what the bears are going to do this offseason, but there really isn't much out there. For fantasy purposes, I would not keep Orton.

As for Peppers. He has stated that he wants to go to a 3-4, so the bears are not going to be on his list.
I would prefer to see the Bears go after Haynesworth anyway, not that I think it will happen. But I can dream.
Can you imagine Tommie Harris and Haynesworth playing next to each other? Heck, with the attention they would have to put in the middle of the line they could line me up at DE and I could get some pressure on the QB!

Users who are viewing this thread