What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Offical Chicago Bears 2009 Offseason Thread*** (1 Viewer)

benson_will_lead_the_way said:
Chadstroma said:
I am sorry guys.... keep the hope up but I just do not see the Bears being serious enough to land Cutler.

If the Vikings land Cutler then the Bears should just go into rebuilding mode right away because the Vikings will own the division for the next few years for sure and perhaps years to come after that. I think being the missing piece there that should mean the Vikings go after him big time and they have a recent history of making big trade deals, such as getting Jared Allen.

The Jets will likely go after him hard too being they need a QB and have a history of making that happen (obviously Farve from last year).

We all know the Bucs are always willing to deal for a new QB.

Basically, the Bears have shown an extreme amount of conservative moves this off-season and there have been stories that this is based on ownership pulling back the purse. Of course, there is always the possibility and heck, the thought of the Vikings getting him should be more of an incentive to block them even than how much of a boost it would be for the Bears. But, the Bears are on the lower side of my list of possibilities for where he lands.
Conservative moves this offseason? What move did you want them to make? Overpay for Housh who is past his prime or near it?They brought in a young promising olineman, a veteran olineman, signed two safteys to compete and brought it both O. Pace(said to be #1 priority right now)/K. Lucas recently.

So bringing in four new players and possibly two others is very conservative....your right. Its this mind set that the bears are cheap, its ridiculous. Like they haven't went out and signed guys throughout the years (Moose, John Tait, Ogenlye, brockermeyer, bryan cox). They have great cap management....name a year in which they have been strapped by the cap(aka Washington), its b/c they don't go out and blow money every year.
Yea, you are right- they have been very aggresive so far this off-season. :ph34r:
Gotta love a Raider fan talking trash on a Bears thread.... :bowtie:

What would be wrong with signing Pace to play LT and letting Williams get his feet wet at RT? Williams is basically a rookie going into this season so by having Pace start out on the left side, Williams wouldn't have the pressure to produce right away. Let him get the feel and speed of the game on the right side of the line and then you can move him over if Pace isn't getting the job done.
Let me tell you a little story about the Rams. Few years ago they drafted a guy named Alex Barron, offensive tackle. Very similar scouting report to Chris Williams. Tall, long arms, good feet, but not very physical or tough. So the Rams draft him in the 1st rd (teens I believe) and have him play RT, which was not his natural position. Tackles arent as interchangeable as you want to think. I mean alot can play both, but RT is a more physical position. You need your better run blocker in that spot to run the classic off tackle play. Anyway, what happened to the Rams is Barron has not developed like they had hoped, worthy of a 1st rd pick. Pace has lost step after step over the years, battled injuries and has been less than stellar on the left side, going against the athletic ends on that side. Now the Rams have had probably the worst line in football the last 2-3 yrs.Chris Williams is a natural LT. Pace is even older now and would be much better suited anchoring the running game at RT, where he could just use his size to plow ahead.

Chadstroma said:
I am sorry guys.... keep the hope up but I just do not see the Bears being serious enough to land Cutler. If the Vikings land Cutler then the Bears should just go into rebuilding mode right away because the Vikings will own the division for the next few years for sure and perhaps years to come after that. I think being the missing piece there that should mean the Vikings go after him big time and they have a recent history of making big trade deals, such as getting Jared Allen. The Jets will likely go after him hard too being they need a QB and have a history of making that happen (obviously Farve from last year). We all know the Bucs are always willing to deal for a new QB. Basically, the Bears have shown an extreme amount of conservative moves this off-season and there have been stories that this is based on ownership pulling back the purse. Of course, there is always the possibility and heck, the thought of the Vikings getting him should be more of an incentive to block them even than how much of a boost it would be for the Bears. But, the Bears are on the lower side of my list of possibilities for where he lands.
Conservative moves this offseason? What move did you want them to make? Overpay for Housh who is past his prime or near it?They brought in a young promising olineman, a veteran olineman, signed two safteys to compete and brought it both O. Pace(said to be #1 priority right now)/K. Lucas recently.So bringing in four new players and possibly two others is very conservative....your right. Its this mind set that the bears are cheap, its ridiculous. Like they haven't went out and signed guys throughout the years (Moose, John Tait, Ogenlye, brockermeyer, bryan cox). They have great cap management....name a year in which they have been strapped by the cap(aka Washington), its b/c they don't go out and blow money every year.
Yea, you are right- they have been very aggresive so far this off-season. :lmao:
I never said the word aggressive.....you hopefully have the ability to scan my text and look for a word....if not let me know...I will coach you through it.They were middle of the road to be honest....but they didn't overpay for any player...which allows them to consistantly resigns players....last year Lance Briggs.
I can live with the 'middle of the road' title...... Which means seriously going after Cutler is somewhat unlikely at least in comparison to what some other teams that have a more aggresive history. Whether it is good or bad or whatever is not the point. My point was basically that it is hard to believe that the Bears will out bid all the other teams to land Cutler. Possible? Sure. But I think they will make an effort enough to try to not piss off to many fans but will not commit to doing what it will take to really get him.

Chadstroma said:
I am sorry guys.... keep the hope up but I just do not see the Bears being serious enough to land Cutler.

If the Vikings land Cutler then the Bears should just go into rebuilding mode right away because the Vikings will own the division for the next few years for sure and perhaps years to come after that. I think being the missing piece there that should mean the Vikings go after him big time and they have a recent history of making big trade deals, such as getting Jared Allen.

The Jets will likely go after him hard too being they need a QB and have a history of making that happen (obviously Farve from last year).

Basically, the Bears have shown an extreme amount of conservative moves this off-season and there have been stories that this is based on ownership pulling back the purse. Of course, there is always the possibility and heck, the thought of the Vikings getting him should be more of an incentive to block them even than how much of a boost it would be for the Bears. But, the Bears are on the lower side of my list of possibilities for where he lands.
Conservative moves this offseason? What move did you want them to make? Overpay for Housh who is past his prime or near it?They brought in a young promising olineman, a veteran olineman, signed two safteys to compete and brought it both O. Pace(said to be #1 priority right now)/K. Lucas recently.

So bringing in four new players and possibly two others is very conservative....your right. Its this mind set that the bears are cheap, its ridiculous. Like they haven't went out and signed guys throughout the years (Moose, John Tait, Ogenlye, brockermeyer, bryan cox). They have great cap management....name a year in which they have been strapped by the cap(aka Washington), its b/c they don't go out and blow money every year.
Yea, you are right- they have been very aggresive so far this off-season. :confused:
Gotta love a Raider fan talking trash on a Bears thread.... :thumbdown:
What trash am I talking? Living in Chicago since 2003, I by default follow the Bears. My fav team is the Raiders and always will be but I have grown to like the Bears more than I would normally like to admit.

I am looking at the situation with somewhat of a non-fan detachment. I am not a fan nor am I a hater. I am just saying what I think based on the information available. Is that not kind of the point of these threads?

How about any combination of our 1st, 3rd, Urlacher and Orton for Cutler?

Then we sign Pace and Holt and a young WR in the 2nd. Thats better than what can do in the draft alone this year.

GET CUTLER, JA!!! You deaf and dumb freak. Your entire team sucks, and you need to get rid of it. Everyone breathing oxygen knows you won't however. Is it a pride thing? THEN SUCK IT UP!

After wasting your draft picks, spending on long-term contracts that end horribly, which dont't involve contracts players not already on your team, no big name FA signings: The Bears were most the most expesive defense on the field last year and we finsined in the bottom 3rd. :shrug: Combine that with an offense ranked in the bottom 3rd of the league and you don't have a ricipie for success, not that they have ever had one to begin with.

Not sure why I even posted in here. JA will never make a legitimate offer and all of this will blow over soon,except for the 20 years of failure ahead of us. BEAR DOWN!!! Gonna be cold

Last edited by a moderator:
How about any combination of our 1st, 3rd, Urlacher and Orton for Cutler? Then we sign Pace and Holt and a young WR in the 2nd. Thats better than what can do in the draft alone this year.
I'm right there with you bro but that's next to impossible. I'd happy for any of them but don't think we have a chance at all of them. Honestly, i don't think we have much of a chance or desire for any of them.Doubt they would take that trade though. 2 1sts is quite a bit and then some more picks

How about any combination of our 1st, 3rd, Urlacher and Orton for Cutler? Then we sign Pace and Holt and a young WR in the 2nd. Thats better than what can do in the draft alone this year.
I'm right there with you bro but that's next to impossible. I'd happy for any of them but don't think we have a chance at all of them. Honestly, i don't think we have much of a chance or desire for any of them.Doubt they would take that trade though. 2 1sts is quite a bit and then some more picks
I freally thought 2 firsts would put them out of the running, but I was close.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!11111111one

I can't believe this is actually happening. I take back everything I've ever said bad about JA and the Bears. I was so wrong and know absolutely nothing. HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

btw, just talked with flapgreen and he said to tell everyone this is one of the greatest days in Bears history and he couldn't be happier. :popcorn:

Business has picked up fellas

What a shocker....What a freakin treat

Thank you Jerry Angelo!

Wow.... rejoice Chicago and all who love the Bears- rejoice. I am stunned.

Now you need at least one real WR to go with your new toy.

Losing 2 first rounders any time hurts but here's the thing: that's 2 1st round money players we don't have to pay. I also think this opens up more cap space to try and acquire more players. Depending on what we pay Cutler, I could be wrong here and they equal out. :popcorn:

God I've hated Schlereth forever and this only reaffirms it. :)
He has really proven to be a complete **** in this whole thing.Yesterday, hes talking about how Cutler should want to play for a contender, meaning Denver. Look at Denver's roster...THEY SUCK

Hester will be a beast now...no more Orton missing him by fifteen yards on bombs...they do need a big target though, although Olsen is pretty damn good too. I was ready to call for Angelo's head an hour ago, respect to JA!

A cloud has been lifted, people. A cloud has been lifted.

Also, pretty smooth moves by JA lately. Pretty damn smooth.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sorry guys.... keep the hope up but I just do not see the Bears being serious enough to land Cutler. If the Vikings land Cutler then the Bears should just go into rebuilding mode right away because the Vikings will own the division for the next few years for sure and perhaps years to come after that. I think being the missing piece there that should mean the Vikings go after him big time and they have a recent history of making big trade deals, such as getting Jared Allen. The Jets will likely go after him hard too being they need a QB and have a history of making that happen (obviously Farve from last year). We all know the Bucs are always willing to deal for a new QB. Basically, the Bears have shown an extreme amount of conservative moves this off-season and there have been stories that this is based on ownership pulling back the purse. Of course, there is always the possibility and heck, the thought of the Vikings getting him should be more of an incentive to block them even than how much of a boost it would be for the Bears. But, the Bears are on the lower side of my list of possibilities for where he lands.
I see about a 1% chance
Nice call :thumbup:

I see about a 1% chance
Nice call :goodposting:
Even now in one of the great days in Bears recent history, you are determined to put a pull everyone down to Earth with your condescending tone and constant mocking of everyone else in this thread. Well here's some news: Not even you can ruin this day. GO BEARS!!! :boxing: :pickle:

Losing 2 first rounders any time hurts but here's the thing: that's 2 1st round money players we don't have to pay. I also think this opens up more cap space to try and acquire more players. Depending on what we pay Cutler, I could be wrong here and they equal out. :goodposting:
Either way I think the Bears got a STEAL in this deal.The first this year wasn't looking that great and we still have a comp 3rd round pickanother first and Orton for Cutler is just a no brainer.Bravo JA... Bravo

GET CUTLER, JA!!! You deaf and dumb freak. Your entire team sucks, and you need to get rid of it. Everyone breathing oxygen knows you won't however. Is it a pride thing? THEN SUCK IT UP!After wasting your draft picks, spending on long-term contracts that end horribly, which dont't involve contracts players not already on your team, no big name FA signings: The Bears were most the most expesive defense on the field last year and we finsined in the bottom 3rd. :thumbup: Combine that with an offense ranked in the bottom 3rd of the league and you don't have a ricipie for success, not that they have ever had one to begin with.Not sure why I even posted in here. JA will never make a legitimate offer and all of this will blow over soon,except for the 20 years of failure ahead of us. BEAR DOWN!!! Gonna be cold
:shrug:

Losing 2 first rounders any time hurts but here's the thing: that's 2 1st round money players we don't have to pay. I also think this opens up more cap space to try and acquire more players. Depending on what we pay Cutler, I could be wrong here and they equal out. :thumbup:
Either way I think the Bears got a STEAL in this deal.The first this year wasn't looking that great and we still have a comp 3rd round pickanother first and Orton for Cutler is just a no brainer.Bravo JA... Bravo
:shrug:

I see about a 1% chance
Nice call :thumbup:
Even now in one of the great days in Bears recent history, you are determined to put a pull everyone down to Earth with your condescending tone and constant mocking of everyone else in this thread. Well here's some news: Not even you can ruin this day. GO BEARS!!! :shrug: :pickle:
:lol: Enjoy the day Sweetness

Losing 2 first rounders any time hurts but here's the thing: that's 2 1st round money players we don't have to pay. I also think this opens up more cap space to try and acquire more players. Depending on what we pay Cutler, I could be wrong here and they equal out. :thumbup:
I agree. We got a 2nd and 2 3rd round picks. I would get a WR, DE and OT with those picks.....or maybe a FS.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!11111111oneI can't believe this is actually happening. I take back everything I've ever said bad about JA and the Bears. I was so wrong and know absolutely nothing. HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!btw, just talked with flapgreen and he said to tell everyone this is one of the greatest days in Bears history and he couldn't be happier. :thumbup:
:shrug: Good to see you turn it around Rex. I actually hope we sign Rex as a back up QB now. Nothing wrong with him as our #2. Just saying.... :pickle:

Bear down, Chicago Bears, make every play clear the way to victory;

Bear down, Chicago Bears, put up a fight with a might so fearlessly.

We'll never forget the way you thrilled the nation with your T-formation.

Bear down, Chicago Bears, and let them know why you're wearing the crown.

You're the pride and joy of Illinois, Chicago Bears, bear down.

Jerry Angelo should be given the keys to this franchise for the next 10 years.

He gave us our 1st SB appearance since 1985 and now he has given us our 1st franchise QB since Sid Luckman. But all you Jerry A bashers can keep posting crap showing how you have no clue about reality!!!!

Bears fans welcome to modern football.

:banned:

Hester now will be more effective with having some one being able to get the ball to him. Forte the guy who we ran the offense like 70% of the time will be able to have a longer career. and have better numbers since he does like to catch the ball. Earl Bennett may be a nice sleeper than possible can become 2? if he continues what him and cutler did in Vanderbilt. Greg Olsen and Desmond Clark are tow real nice TEs to have.

I would love to get 1 more FA WR, Chad would be great, but I would be fine with a Holt or a Harrison.

and now we would have a top 5-3 offense.

Anyway bears fans enjoy today!

Jerry Angelo should be given the keys to this franchise for the next 10 years.He gave us our 1st SB appearance since 1985 and now he has given us our 1st franchise QB since Sid Luckman. But all you Jerry A bashers can keep posting crap showing how you have no clue about reality!!!!
Now I cant say; Sid Luckman retied in 1950, and were still trying to find his replacement.

Seriously, I thought I would win the lottery before something like this happened. After years of hibernation, the Bears are involved in one of the biggest trades in recent history(pardon the pun). :lmao:

Jerry Angelo should be given the keys to this franchise for the next 10 years.He gave us our 1st SB appearance since 1985 and now he has given us our 1st franchise QB since Sid Luckman. But all you Jerry A bashers can keep posting crap showing how you have no clue about reality!!!!
This has to be Truck or KRS. :lmao:

Wow.... rejoice Chicago and all who love the Bears- rejoice. I am stunned. Now you need at least one real WR to go with your new toy.
Earl Bennett was Cutler's favorite target at Vandy. Look for him to produce this year. I also think there is a chance we get Nicks or Britt with our 2nd round pick. Then spend our 2 3rd round picks on OL and DL.

Now let's go get Torry Holt!
I think the sneaky play is to go after Harrison. We need a guy that can run good routes, catch the short to intermediate passes, and mentor the young WRs. I think Harrison is a perfect fit.I'm still shocked this has happened. Bear Down! :lmao:

I think we will make a run at Holt at some point. Lovie knows him well; he is the type of vet who is a good locker room guy too. He can be had for a 3rd or 4th rounder. And frankly he is no worse than Coles for the next 1 or 2 years (which is what we need to do until we find something in the draft or Bennett works out or Hester develops). Do no forget we have a legit TE target already on O. I actually hope we look at Engram for a couple of years too. The perfect 3rd down, move the chain kind of guy and he has a history here with the Bears. He would be an upgrade over Rashied Davis.
Our tight ends are the best part of our team. I'll take heat over this from some but I can never get myself to the see the positive in most off-seasons from the Bears. There's just never anything to look forward too. And as soon as I start to feel good about any FA pickup, it doesn't happen, and likely never close to happening. Angelo's last statement only reaffirmed what most of us already know about him and the organization. They don't take any chances and will thus rarely ever succeed. They attempt to build team like they were in the Bears Ditka years and appear to damn ignorant to see the difference.I don't get it. They have to know more about football than most people. Right? They run an NFL franchise and the owners and staff have decades of experience in the sport. Am I missing something that they all know? We sucked for years. Is it that hard to figure out? Most importantly, does Lovie even have much say in what is happening with the team? Sadly, after the Bears continue to fail for obvious reasons, he will be the one taking the fall, justified or not. Now, he's taking over the defensive play calling for the next season during this offseason? Say What? U telling me you can't find a good defensive coordinator to come in and take over the Bears defense at this point? WTF! :wall: :wall:
hey flap,so what FA's do you think we should have gone after? which ones of the remaining ones should we make offers to?
How about ANYONE? There isn't many I wouldn't have at least tried to go after. I know you're looking for specific players but you can name almost any decent or big name picked up so far or those who haven't been picked up; and I'd be happy to know they are at least making an effort for them. They haven't even tried for anyone, as far as I know; and it doesn't sound like they plan on it either. I'm not counting the no name OT they signed. :rolleyes: We need help at almost every position. It's the same story every offseason. I'm sick of the whole "not overspending for FA's" deal. What is the money being spent on then, Jerry? It sure as hell doesn't seem like good players. So what if we overspend on a couple of FA's? Is it really that bad every once in a while? We never pick up any big names. How can we be poor at so many positions, yet somehow not have enough cap room to pick up at least some mid-range FA's?

I can't even believe Angelo is serious about liking what they have a WR. Are you kidding me? :wall: Of course, the qb position is supposed to be top priority this off season, yet we hear nothing about talking with any FA qb's yet. Yes, I know there's a lot of time left; but why should I believe they are going to? Some will say that they are waiting for the FA frenzy to slow down so they can get a better price for their money. When has that ever happened in the past? They wait around every year and then end up doing nothing. I hope I'm wrong about it this year but I have absolutely no reason to believe they will pick up anyone of value. THEY NEVER DO!!!

Again, I know you're looking for a break down or analysis of players I believe they should pick up, but I go through that every year. I don't even see the point anymore.

Note: This isn't an attack on you. My anger is completely toward the franchise. I'm also not condoning them doing what the Cowboys have done and bring in big name players for the sake of bringing them in either. There's has to be some type of common ground though. Make some type of effort to indicate you are trying to improve the team. :shrug:

ETA: I realize every single post of mine in this thread has been negative, which is probably not good either. I want this team to succeed as badly as anyone. Putting up with overall failure during the last 20 years has gotten to me. How many people even acknowledge the Bears as a franchise to be reckoned with during the last 2 decades? They have been given little respect during my lifetime and probably for good reason. :(
:thumbup:

If they sign Holt or Harrison in the next 24 Hours, it's going to be akin to Michael Corleone taking care of all the family business during the baptism of his sister's kid. Tattaglia, Barzini, Cuneo, Stracci...and Moe Green just for sh*ts and giggles!

It would be awesome

Users who are viewing this thread