What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 12th pick (PPR redraft) thread (1 Viewer)

TheWinz

Footballguy
You're on the clock! You have 2 picks and you can go in 5 directions - RB/RB, RB/WR, RB/TE, WR/WR, and WR/TE
I will not name players, as I don't want this to turn into a "who do I draft thread".
- If you decide to forego RB's in the first 2 rounds, do you like the options at the 3/4 turn?
- If you go RB/RB to start, how long before you revisit the position?
- This year, how many QB's do you want to see drafted before you pick one?

Sure, name specific players if you must, but I am more interested in the thought process of the 12 spot itself.

Just found out yesterday I'll be drafting 11th in my main league.

I tend to let the draft come to me, I try not to be too set about which order I'm going to fill out the lineup. Drafts are fluid. If, for example, I've got a hero RB and the league is continuing to make a run on RBs, I pivot to the value at WR. I'll stay there until I think there's greater value somewhere else. I don't panic and think "OMG who's going to be my RB2" because I'm comfortable taking pass catchers (full PPR league) and backups in later rounds. Players emerge all the time, this year won't be any different than every other year.

That said, I tend to like mocks where I have taken one of each rather than RB/RB or WR/WR. But it really depends on what has been happening with the picks before me.

I'm OK waiting on QB, but not TE. Seen a lot of mocks where only 2-3 TEs are off the board by the time the 35-38 turn comes around. "OK, can probably wait on that." Then there's a run and all the guys I've targeted are gone by the time I get to 59-61. But that is mocks where people are not drafting the same as they will when it's for real. Pretty sure I can spend the first four picks (11]/14, 35/38) on RB-WR, and get the TE I want at 59/62. If I wait past then I'll be taking a bottom quartile TE1 which I really don't want. Then maybe QB at 83/86 - but if there is still great value out there, I don't mind punting to 107/110.

I guess I do have a loose game plan going in. But like Mike Tyson sais, everybody has plan until they get smacked in the mouth. That's my rough outline but I'm really driven by where I see positional value. The team will build itself if I just stick with my convictions about where players should be taken.

Have the 11 in 4/5 drafts this year, and it seems that 11 (and 12) is kind of the natural break point for Wrs and RBs in particular, also assuming you are in a league where Kelce goes off the board top 10.

At WR, Diggs may be there, but I wouldn't count on it. Basically you are making the CeeDee vs. Devante decision there or going with a RB. At RB there is a load at the Mixon, Swift, Saquon, Najee players.

Right now I'm leaning WR at 11 to force 12 to pick my RB for me. There is enough WR depth in rounds 3-7 to just hammer the position later. If I was sitting at 12 (rather than 11) I may consider trying to win my draft right there by going big at RB: Saquon and Mixon or Lenny and then putting the hammer to WR the rest of the way (high touch guys with big upside to finish at the top 5 at the position). Now if you see ceedee or devante you may have to adjust but I do not see how WR/WR this year gives you any value vs everyone else and if Kelce is somehow there in a TE league you cannot let him go by.

Round 3/4 and 5/6 are all WR to me unless you need a TE then it is what value falls. RB #2 is a late grab of 2 guys with upside (likely at the 7/8 turn)

This is such a weird year to predict. When you're sitting at or near the turn, you always need to predict the next two rounds...so difficult.

1/2 - I'm definitely walking away with either RB/WR or RB/Kelce. For RB, you might or might not be staring at the likes of Mixon, which is a solid start. You might also see Kamara, and you'll very likely see Saquon (why are we so ready to jump in head first with CMC at 2 but Barkley remains suppressed by a round and a half?). Swift has an incredibly high ceiling but also requires some juevos. Those are my turning points, but I recognize people may not have the stomach for the risk. I do believe it's important to get a WR or Kelce, though - based on WR options available at 36/37, you're essentially looking at the likes of Pittman/DJM/McLaurin (Pitt is my fave of the bunch) as your WR1 if you go RBRB. I want more of an anchor at my WR1 position, and none of those guys have been a WR1 before. Overall walkaway strategy is best RB1 on board, plus best WR1/Kelce.

3/4 - Hammer WR, unless something truly wild happens - a rarity given how many people inspect ADP these days. My exceptions in this range are year 1 and 2 players that are in the Dead Zone because there isn't a track record to project from. This year, that's ETN and Breece. Given this draft slot, probably too early for either, but neither will be there at the 5/6 turn. Of course, if something wild does happen, feel free to pounce.

5/6 - I usually look at value falls here in the RB category. QB can drift into the conversation, but only if just about everyone in your draft is punting the position. Lamar and Kyler tend to go in round 5, but you'll be looking at Stafford/Rodgers/Lance at 7/8. YMMV. If no QB, this is a good place to grab a Schultz/Goedert.

7/8/9/10 - Hammer RB with a slant toward upside. If you haven't picked up a QB, now is a good time to go B2B safe/upside QB picks.

11/12/13/14 - Get a few flyer TEs if you haven't gotten an anchor, and throw as many darts based on upside only

15/16 - K/D if you do that kind of thing

Last edited:
This is such a weird year to predict. When you're sitting at or near the turn, you always need to predict the next two rounds...so difficult.

1/2 - I'm definitely walking away with either RB/WR or RB/Kelce. For RB, you might or might not be staring at the likes of Mixon, which is a solid start. You might also see Kamara, and you'll very likely see Saquon (why are we so ready to jump in head first with CMC at 2 but Barkley remains suppressed by a round and a half?). Swift has an incredibly high ceiling but also requires some juevos. Those are my turning points, but I recognize people may not have the stomach for the risk. I do believe it's important to get a WR or Kelce, though - based on WR options available at 36/37, you're essentially looking at the likes of Pittman/DJM/McLaurin (Pitt is my fave of the bunch) as your WR1 if you go RBRB. I want more of an anchor at my WR1 position, and none of those guys have been a WR1 before. Overall walkaway strategy is best RB1 on board, plus best WR1/Kelce.

3/4 - Hammer WR, unless something truly wild happens - a rarity given how many people inspect ADP these days. My exceptions in this range are year 1 and 2 players that are in the Dead Zone because there isn't a track record to project from. This year, that's ETN and Breece. Given this draft slot, probably too early for either, but neither will be there at the 5/6 turn. Of course, if something wild does happen, feel free to pounce.

5/6 - I usually look at value falls here in the RB category. QB can drift into the conversation, but only if just about everyone in your draft is punting the position. Lamar and Kyler tend to go in round 5, but you'll be looking at Stafford/Rodgers/Lance at 7/8. YMMV. If no QB, this is a good place to grab a Schultz/Goedert.

7/8/9/10 - Hammer RB with a slant toward upside. If you haven't picked up a QB, now is a good time to go B2B safe/upside QB picks.

11/12/13/14 - Get a few flyer TEs if you haven't gotten an anchor, and throw as many darts based on upside only

15/16 - K/D if you do that kind of thing
Great write up, thanx! I know I said I would refrain from naming players, but who are we fooling? Every thread titled "Official XXth pick" is nothing more than a mask for a "who do I draft" thread. Here goes...

12/13 - It will be a miracle if Taylor, CMC, Ekeler, Cook, Henry, Harris, Kupp, Jefferson, or Chase fall, but the rest are possible. Would love a start of Mixon/Adams or Mixon/Diggs, but would settle for Adams/Diggs, Adams/Kelce, or Diggs/Kelce.

36/37 - RB's suck in this spot, unless Conner or Zeke fall, but Zeke barely ever does (Conner about 30%). Too early for the likes of ETN, and I hate Monty this year, so it's WR time. In a perfect world, I snagged Mixon/Adams at 12/13, and will go DJ Moore/Pitts here.

60/61 - It's AJ Dillon time! And then I snag Kyler Murray at 6.1. Oh, let me dream...

84/85 - I got my stud QB and TE, so it's depth at RB/WR now. Time for CPat and DHop.

108/109 - Depth with upside. I prefer to churn hopefuls from the WW instead of career scrubs.

Consider a QB in the 3rd or 4th round. The gap between QBs 1-6, and QBs 7-12 has been growing. RB-RB-QB-WR.

Based on the drafts I've been in do you prefer

Allen and Pickens/Dotson/Moore/Boyd/Olave OR Sutton and Stafford/Carr?

Great write up, thanx! I know I said I would refrain from naming players, but who are we fooling? Every thread titled "Official XXth pick" is nothing more than a mask for a "who do I draft" thread. Here goes...

12/13 - It will be a miracle if Taylor, CMC, Ekeler, Cook, Henry, Harris, Kupp, Jefferson, or Chase fall, but the rest are possible. Would love a start of Mixon/Adams or Mixon/Diggs, but would settle for Adams/Diggs, Adams/Kelce, or Diggs/Kelce.

Comments based on five recent drafts in the Interboard Challenge
36/37 - RB's suck in this spot, unless Conner or Zeke fall, but Zeke barely ever does (Conner about 30%). Too early for the likes of ETN, and I hate Monty this year, so it's WR time. In a perfect world, I snagged Mixon/Adams at 12/13, and will go DJ Moore/Pitts here.

Conner and Zeke gone in all five. Ditto Pitts. This seems to be ETN time if you like him.
60/61 - It's AJ Dillon time! And then I snag Kyler Murray at 6.1. Oh, let me dream...

Yup, this is where Dillon goes. I'd pass on Murray or trade back as you're giving up too much draft capital.
84/85 - I got my stud QB and TE, so it's depth at RB/WR now. Time for CPat and DHop.

Cpat has been going in the 9th/10th. In 3 of 5 drafts you could have wait 2 more rounds. Early for Hopkins, but these leagues have 12 wk regular seasons which pushes down players missing the beginning of the year. This is probably a good spot for him in most leagues.
108/109 - Depth with upside. I prefer to churn hopefuls from the WW instead of career scrubs.

Well... didn't have any time to do research this year, beyond an hour or two before the draft, and this thread was a little god send that I searched for and found about 30 mins before I drafted. THANKS GUYS !! Saw lots of the patterns discussed here. Anyways, this is how it went...

12/13 - Najee fell to me which I was ecstatic about/a good few WRs gone so I went Lamb

36/37 - followed the thinking here about Rbs sucking. Elliot gone. Pittman sniped. Went DJ Moore and Kittle

60/61 - AJ Dillon sniped. Went Josh Jacobs and Damien Harris here

This is where things got yucky for me due to lack of research and scrambling about internet pages. Usually by draft time I know the players I want and the values all way through to round 15 without having to look at anything. Every round, names I had marked down from threads on here got sniped ahead of me

84/85 - our league loves QBs so they were going fast. Grabbed Stafford and Devante Smith

108/109 and so on and so on - started grabbing depth at WR and RB - Renfro/D Parker/James Cook/K walker/K Williams/Chark/Allgeier

I never draft K and DEF, will drop 2 players for those before week 1 starts

Overall, found 12 frustrating but possibly partially due to my lack of prep. Shocking for a defending champ !! Good starting lineup I think, waiver work to do for bench. Hold that No.1 waiver priority for something season changing hopefully !

Drafted Friday at 12. Started Barkley/Swift. Took QB Allen and TE Pitts the next time around, then got Gabriel Davis and St. Brown in round 5/6. Then filled with Mooney, BPA and rookies. I usually wait on QB, but lots of rankings from strong sources had Allen very high related to next tier and was way above others for VBD. Decided I wanted to pull the trigger if nobody had taken him by end of 3rd.

1/2 turn...I'l do this 3 ways

Team 1
WR-Adams
Wr-Diggs

Team 2
WR-Diggs
RB-S.Barkley...would love to slide Kamara in here, just doesn't last but I would put him ahead of Barkley

Team 3
RB-D'Swift
RB-N.Chubb

3/4 Turn

Team 1...will now need to be looking for any RBs that might have slipped, Mitchell would be on the top of my list but i need to spread the picks around for all 3 teams.
RB-T.Etienne
RB-AJ Dillon...early you say at 4.01? Sure but he won't be there most likely on the 5/6 turn and you have to grab some RBs after you go WR-WR early. MoP likes to go WR 3 of the first 4 rounds, there's other RBs here I like a little more but I will use them on other teams we are reviewing here.

Team 2...gonna split the picks on Team 2, RB/WR likely the 1st several passes.
WR-Tee Higgins to pair with Diggs
RB-Elijah Mitchell...love his upside and commitment to run the football by Shanahan and the Niners. Won't be there on the 5/6 turn

Team 3...load up at WR
WR-Courtland Sutton
WR-Mike Williams...it's possible Keenan Allen could fall to you on the 3/4 turn, I have ADP32 overall but it's not impossible if folks look at other positions.

5/6 Turn

Team 1...you have 2 WRs and 2 RBs, would likely be interested in at least 1 more RB or WR, likely receiver since you usually start 3 and if you found another RB you would have to start them in the flex. but let's look at the ADP

TE-D.Schultz...think you should try and either lock up a QB or TE somewhere in those golden first 6 rounds, after that you start looking at Tight Ends that need a few things to bounce their way in order for them to succeed. Go thru the Dallas WRs from top to bottom, CeeDee just does not scare me, I'm sorry. Their supporting staff is just OK but I do like Dak even with a missing Left Tackle...and so i think the TE is going to be critical on this team as well the hands out of the backfield.
QB-Joe Burrow...he slips a couple spots to you and is too much to pass up at 6.01 when you don't pick again for another 23 slots...Burrow has a chance with an OL improved, weapons of mass destruction at WR, solid RB, he can throw for 5,000 and 40 TDs in this offense. I would take that over someone later on likely to hit 4,4400 yds and maybe 25 TDs, there's a big difference week to week and you don't want to feel like you are small at QB or TE when you made sacrifices on the turn.

Team 2...Just gonna keep using ADP and splitting these picks.
WR-Hollywood Brown
RB-Dameon Pierce

Team 3
WR-Chris Godwin as your WR3 after going RB heavy up top
WR/Flex-JuJu Smith in the flex gobbling up targets from Patrick Mahomes, many other options around here so why not strike twice again on WRs in the sweet spot and load up? You can get a QB on the next pass and sort thru TEs later after 8-10 come off the board. Ertz is injured right now but he's likely there on the next turn. Doubt KMet makes it around but that is another option.

Which of these scenarios sounds like the best path? You can mix and match of course to suit your style and preferences.

Is everyone pretty much assuming Kelce is the #1TE over Andrews with Hill out of town? And just curious, how early do you take Kelce if you say 1.8-.12 in the draft order? I play in a 1.5 TE league, and I'd say its pretty hard to pass on Kelce or Andrews by 1.9-.10 range wouldn't you think?

Is everyone pretty much assuming Kelce is the #1TE over Andrews with Hill out of town? And just curious, how early do you take Kelce if you say 1.8-.12 in the draft order? I play in a 1.5 TE league, and I'd say its pretty hard to pass on Kelce or Andrews by 1.9-.10 range wouldn't you think?
Same format, we had a 5-4 split on vote, I remained neutral on the 1.5 increase for TEs...

1.10-TE-Andrews
2.01-TE Kelce

I'll let you know how this works out...rest of team highlights include James Connor-RB1, WR1-Tee Higgins, QB-Russell Wilson, typically solid drafter over the years
:oldunsure:

You're on the clock! You have 2 picks and you can go in 5 directions - RB/RB, RB/WR, RB/TE, WR/WR, and WR/TE
Depends who’s on the board. If Adams makes it to the turn, I go WR-RB

If not, I’m going RB-RB. Kamara/Barkley, Swift/Mixon, etc

I will not name players, as I don't want this to turn into a "who do I draft thread".
- If you decide to forego RB's in the first 2 rounds, do you like the options at the 3/4 turn?
Not likely. If I go no RB 1-2, I probably load up on WR 3-4-5 then aim for AJ Dillon, Stevenson, maybe Jacobs if he falls.

- If you go RB/RB to start, how long before you revisit the position?

Done this many times this year. 6th-7th I like to take a 3rd RB.

- This year, how many QB's do you want to see drafted before you pick one?

8-10

Sure, name specific players if you must, but I am more interested in the thought process of the 12 spot itself.

I play in a two keeper league (won the title last year) and am trying to decide between Kelce, Mixon and Diggs. I am for sure keeping Mixon, but can't make up my mind on the second keeper. If you told me Pitts makes it to me at the end of the 3rd (1st in our league), I would keep Diggs. But I don't think that is going to happen. I have no interest in the RBs available at 36/37 and would be happy to take either Sutton, Pittman and maybe even both there. If I knew they would be there this would make the decision easy to keep Kelce.

decisions, decisions.

This was my first draft in about 12-15 years. Local league with lots of guys that really don't play. So this probably isn't a great indication of what you'd normally get.

Here's what I ended up with:

1.12 JaMarr Chase
2.01 Davante Adams
3.12 Kyle Pitts
4.01 Javonte Williams
5.12 Jalen Hurts
6.01 Amon-Ra St. Brown
7.12 Breece Hall
8.01 AJ DIllon
9.12 Elijah Moore
10.01 Chris Olave
11.12 Treylon Burks