What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2008 NFL Draft Thread*** (2 Viewers)

GroveDiesel

Footballguy
2008 NFL Draft

Round 1

1.1 Miami Dolphins - Jake Long OT

1.2 St. Louis Rams - Chris Long DE

1.3 Atlanta Falcons - Matt Ryan QB

1.4 Oakland Raiders - Darren McFadden RB

1.5 Kansas City Chiefs - Glenn Dorsey DT

1.6 New York Jets - Vernon Gholston DE/LB

1.7 New Orleans Saints ((from New England) (From 49ers)) - Sedrick Ellis DT

1.8 Jacksonville Jaguars (from Baltimore) - Derrick Harvey DE

1.9 Cincinnati Bengals - Keith Rivers LB

1.10 New Englad Patriots (from New Orleans) - Jerod Mayo LB

1.11 Buffalo Bills - Leodis McKelvin CB

1.12 Denver Broncos - Ryan Clady OT

1.13 Carolina Panthers - Jonathan Stewart RB

1.14 Chicago Bears - Chris Williams OT

1.15 Kansas City (from Detroit) - Branden Albert OG/OT

1.16 Arizona Cardinals - Dominique Rogers-Cromartie DB

1.17 Detroit Lions ((from Kansas City (From Vikings)) - Gosder Cherilus OT

1.18 Baltimore Ravens (from Houston) - Joe Flacco QB

1.19 Carolina Panthers (from Philadelphia) - Jeff Otah OT

1.20 Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Aqib Talib CB

1.21 Atlanta Falcons (from Washington) - Sam Baker OT

1.22 Dallas Cowboys (From Browns) - Felix Jones RB

1.23 Pittsburgh Steelers - Rashard Mendenhall RB

1.24 Tennessee Titans - Chris Johnson RB

1.25 Dallas Cowboys (from Seattle) - Mike Jenkins CB

1.26 Houston Texans (from Baltimore (from Jacksonville)) - Duane Brown OT

1.27 San Diego Chargers - Antoine Cason CB

1.28 Seattle Seahawks (from Dallas) - Lawrence Jackson DE

1.29 San Francisco 49ers (From Colts) - Kentwan Balmer DT

1.30 New York Jets (from Green Bay) - Dustin Keller TE

1.31 New York Giants - Kenny Phillips S

Round 2

(32) Miami - Phillip Merling DE

(33) St. Louis - Donnie Avery WR :shrug:

(34) Washington (From Oakland through Atlanta) - Devin Thomas WR

(35) Kansas City - Brandon Flowers CB

(36) Green Bay (from NY Jets) - Jordy Nelson WR

(37) Atlanta - Curtis Lofton LB

(38) Seattle (from Baltimore) - John Carlson TE

(39) San Francisco - Chilo Rachal OG

(40) New Orleans - Tracy Porter CB

(41) Buffalo - James Hardy WR

(42) Denver - Eddie Royal WR

(43) Minnesota (through Philadelphia (From Carolina)) - Tyrell Johnson S

(44) Chicago - Matt Forte RB

(45) Detroit - Jordon Dizon LB

(46) Cincinnati - Jerome Simpson WR

(47) Philadelphia (from Minnesota) - Trevor Laws DT

(48) Washington (From Houston through Atlanta) - Fred Davis TE

(49) Philadelphia - DeSean Jackson WR

(50) Arizona - Calais Campbell DE

(51) Washington - Malcolm Kelly WR

(52) Jacksonville (from Tampa Bay) - Quentin Groves DE

(53) Pittsburgh - Limas Sweed WR

(54) Tennessee - Jason Jones DT

(55) Baltimore (from Seattle) - Ray Rice RB

(56) Green Bay (From Cleveland) - Brian Brohm QB

(57) Miami (From San Diego) - Chad Henne QB

(58) Tampa Bay (from Jacksonville) - Dexter Jackson WR

(59) Indianapolis - Mike Pollack C

(60) Green Bay - Patrick Lee CB

(61) Dallas - Martellus Bennett TE

(62) New England - Terrence Wheatley CB

(63) NY Giants - Terrell Thomas CB

Last edited by a moderator:
W00t! Listening to Sirius, watching NFLN (muted right now)...

PFT/ESPN confirm Long pick

LONG IS THE PICK AT NO. 2

Posted by Mike Florio on April 26, 2008, 11:31 a.m.

After a flurry of reports indicating that the Rams are leaning to defensive end Chris Long at No. 2, Michael Smith of ESPN unequivocally reports that the Rams will pick Howie’s son with the second pick in the draft.

Which player is going to fall? I'm thinking it'll be a DE or DT. Dorsey, Ellis or Gholston could fall if KC goes OL with 5th pick.

1. MIA - Jake Long

2. STL - Chris Long (rumor)

3. ATL - Matt Ryan (rumor)

4. OAK - Dorsey to replace Sapp? Could they surprise by taking Ellis?

5. KC - They need an OL. Clady here?

6. NYJ - McFadden here?

7. NE - The Pats can't let Sedrick Ellis slip can they? Could Dorsey fall to here?

8. BAL - Looking at CB if Ryan is gone - McKelvin here?

9. CIN - Wanted Ellis, will they go Gholston? Perhaps the 2nd RB?

10. NO - Keith Rivers here or possibly CB Mike Jenkins

11. BUF - 3rd straight CB? DR Cromartie?

12. DEN - Chris Williams? Cutler's college protector

13. CAR - Derrick Harvey? Do they have the guts to take a RB?

14. CHI - RB here or Jeff Otah?

15. DET - Could be anyone here. Mike Jenkins if still available?

16. ARI - Stewart or Mendenhall

17. KC - Phillip Merling here?

Which player is going to fall? I'm thinking it'll be a DE or DT. Dorsey, Ellis or Gholston could fall if KC goes OL with 5th pick.

IMO, Kansas City's has the best chance to have a dream 1st round. The scenario would be to take a DT or DE with pick 5 and then hope to grab Branden Albert at pick 17. Perhaps Otah or Chris Williams if Albert is gone.

1. MIA - Jake Long

6. NYJ - McFadden here?

7. NE - The Pats can't let Sedrick Ellis slip can they? Could Dorsey fall to here?

17. KC - Branden Albert is a steal here if available
Oakland could trade out to get more picks.

PFT/ESPN confirm Long pick

LONG IS THE PICK AT NO. 2

Posted by Mike Florio on April 26, 2008, 11:31 a.m.

After a flurry of reports indicating that the Rams are leaning to defensive end Chris Long at No. 2, Michael Smith of ESPN unequivocally reports that the Rams will pick Howie’s son with the second pick in the draft.
YEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

IMO, Kansas City's has the best chance to have a dream 1st round. The scenario would be to take a DT or DE with pick 5 and then hope to grab Branden Albert at pick 17. Perhaps Otah or Chris Williams if Albert is gone.

1. MIA - Jake Long

6. NYJ - McFadden here?

In my mock, created while tired and drinking :bowtie: , I have Oakland trading down. Albert is the one I see "falling" considering a lot of mocks have him going in the top 10.

1. MIA - Jake Long

6. NYJ - McFadden here?

In my mock, created while tired and drinking :bowtie: , I have Oakland trading down. Albert is the one I see "falling" considering a lot of mocks have him going in the top 10.
I see Albert falling as well. He is a Guard who might be able to play Tackle. Guards usually do not go that high and there is too many quality OT availble this year.

Ed Werder reporting that DMC is still on Cowboys radar.
God I hope OAK passes on him and DALL offers it's 2 firsts to KC.
Think abou ### if KC could have the #17, #22, and the #28 all in the first round and with some good pick sin the 2nd and 3rd to maybe move up from #17 alittle to make sure of getting the OL they want. They could come out of this smelling like roses.Imagine trading the #5 to Dallas for the #22 and the #28Moving the #17 and one of Minn. #3's down to #11 and getting Albert (gives flexability to get another guard or tackle for best value)Picking Mike Jenkins with #22Picking Q. Groves with #28Picking Brohm or Flacco with their 2nd rounderPicking Anthony Collins in the 3rdPicking K. Balmer in the 3rd (stock is supposively falling)That would be a hell of a draft if the Cowboys gave them the ammo

Expect speculation about Saints moving up to grab Dorsey at 4 if the rumors pan out to be true with Atlanta and Ryan.

Think abou ### if KC could have the #17, #22, and the #28 all in the first round and with some good pick sin the 2nd and 3rd to maybe move up from #17 alittle to make sure of getting the OL they want. They could come out of this smelling like roses.Imagine trading the #5 to Dallas for the #22 and the #28Moving the #17 and one of Minn. #3's down to #11 and getting Albert (gives flexability to get another guard or tackle for best value)Picking Mike Jenkins with #22Picking Q. Groves with #28Picking Brohm or Flacco with their 2nd rounderPicking Anthony Collins in the 3rdPicking K. Balmer in the 3rd (stock is supposively falling)That would be a hell of a draft if the Cowboys gave them the ammo
I just looked on the trade value chart....DALL would have to give 22, 28 AND something else for 5.22+28 Value is 14405 value is 1700DALL would have to give up its 2nd this year as well, which is valued @ 276....which makes the deal more equitable.

I am going to throw something out that hasn't been discussed, but would make alot of sense. What about Cincy trading up to #4 to get Dorsey?
It would be a decent move talentwise, but with all the veterans quitting on the team they're going to need some new guys that will want to quit 4-5 years from now.

Expect speculation about Saints moving up to grab Dorsey at 4 if the rumors pan out to be true with Atlanta and Ryan.
That's who I have Oak trading with. We'll see.
I am going to throw something out that hasn't been discussed, but would make alot of sense. What about Cincy trading up to #4 to get Dorsey?
He would definitely fill a need. I have them sitting where they are and getting Ellis.

Tired of discussing the top 10 picks for real. I can't wait to get this ball rolling.

Denver will be an intriguing pick as they state their confidence in their two young OTs boldly. Mendenhall? Devin Thomas? Will be interesting and I am not getting ANY info on their pick whatsoever.

This would be interesting, but what would the salary cap implications be?

Know any good printable position rankings and info I could print off and follow the draft with?

Or maybe even a good magazine out there to pick up on my way to watch the draft?

Tired of discussing the top 10 picks for real. I can't wait to get this ball rolling.
I agree and disagree. I'm tired of talking about the picks as they stand, but will be excited if/when the trades start happening.
Denver will be an intriguing pick as they state their confidence in their two young OTs boldly. Mendenhall? Devin Thomas? Will be interesting and I am not getting ANY info on their pick whatsoever.
Been a long time since the Broncos were in a position where any number of positions could be filled.

If DMAC goes to OAK....KC almost has to pick Dorsey or Gholston by default.....no other players with value for the slot.

Probably the worst scenario for most KC fans. Most wanted Chris Long, Matt Ryan or a trade down.

If DMAC goes to OAK....KC almost has to pick Dorsey or Gholston by default.....no other players with value for the slot.Probably the worst scenario for most KC fans. Most wanted Chris Long, Matt Ryan or a trade down.
If KC fans are disappointed in getting Dorsey, the best player in the draft, then I wonder about them more than I did before.

I agree and disagree. I'm tired of talking about the picks as they stand, but will be excited if/when the trades start happening.
Been a long time since the Broncos were in a position where any number of positions could be filled.
You are right Andy.Denver, IMHO, hasn't drafted too well with Ted Sundquist as their GM, with the exceptions of Clinton Portis (2001, no longer a Bronco), D.J. Williams (jury still out according to some, but I like the guy), and Brandon Marshall. The jury is still out on Cutler, who looks skittish a lot of times, and TE Tony Scheffler, who may be good in the coming years.But look at some of Sundquist's picks --- Willie Middlebrooks (1st, 2001), DE Paul Toviessi (2nd, 2001) --- Those were Sundquists first two picks as Denver's GM. He went on to draft guys like Ashley Lelie, George Foster, Quentin Griffin, Maurice Clarett, Marcus Thomas. From 2001-2007, under Sundquist, Denver did have three 10+ win seasons, plus acquired Champ Bailey and Dre Bly, but he also brought in the Cleveland Browns frontline.Things will look up from here for Denver with Sundquist out of the picture in my opinion. With Kuper and Harris at OT, Denver should look at another position. Maybe Jerod Mayo if they truly intend to move DJ Williams back to the outside.

You are right Andy.Denver, IMHO, hasn't drafted too well with Ted Sundquist as their GM, with the exceptions of Clinton Portis (2001, no longer a Bronco), D.J. Williams (jury still out according to some, but I like the guy), and Brandon Marshall. The jury is still out on Cutler, who looks skittish a lot of times, and TE Tony Scheffler, who may be good in the coming years.But look at some of Sundquist's picks --- Willie Middlebrooks (1st, 2001), DE Paul Toviessi (2nd, 2001) --- Those were Sundquists first two picks as Denver's GM. He went on to draft guys like Ashley Lelie, George Foster, Quentin Griffin, Maurice Clarett, Marcus Thomas. From 2001-2007, under Sundquist, Denver did have three 10+ win seasons, plus acquired Champ Bailey and Dre Bly, but he also brought in the Cleveland Browns frontline.Things will look up from here for Denver with Sundquist out of the picture in my opinion. With Kuper and Harris at OT, Denver should look at another position. Maybe Jerod Mayo if they truly intend to move DJ Williams back to the outside.
Did I mention that Sundquist was involved with the U.S. Bobsled team. :thumbup:

Things will look up from here for Denver with Sundquist out of the picture in my opinion. With Kuper and Harris at OT, Denver should look at another position. Maybe Jerod Mayo if they truly intend to move DJ Williams back to the outside.
Any word on where they're planning on playing Boss Bailey?

If DMAC goes to OAK....KC almost has to pick Dorsey or Gholston by default.....no other players with value for the slot.Probably the worst scenario for most KC fans. Most wanted Chris Long, Matt Ryan or a trade down.
If KC fans are disappointed in getting Dorsey, the best player in the draft, then I wonder about them more than I did before.
Dorsey is a fine player...a great DT, but it is not even in the top 5 positions of need.

Shanahan gets a free ride on this?

That's who I have Oak trading with. We'll see.
Even before the news had Dorsey falling, I was thinking about Oakland tradeing the pick for CJ. However, it really sounds unlikely. Cincy seems committed to not allowing CJ to force them into tradeing him. They have reportably turned down two first round picks for CJ (I'm thinking it was either Wash or Dallas makeing that offer). I had not thought of the Saints. Of course I didnt think Dorsey would be available until now. More likely Saints get their guy Shockey but its interesting.

Saints will surely be calling KC then. I bet they offer the #10 and a 1st next year. For a rebuilding team with plenty of picks this year, they may take it. Albert or Clady at 10.

Things will look up from here for Denver with Sundquist out of the picture in my opinion. With Kuper and Harris at OT, Denver should look at another position. Maybe Jerod Mayo if they truly intend to move DJ Williams back to the outside.
I speculated Mayo on my own behalf. It would make some sense as Bailey could be suited to play on the outside BUT I have no idea. Everybody is speculating that he will play in the middle, like when Detroit tried him out there. I don't know but if they could snag Mayo, I would see no problem with Denver throwing Bailey to the outside as I think his lateral movement has always been underrated. Bailey though is just a band-aid in the end though, IMHO.

Dorsey is a fine player...a great DT, but it is not even in the top 5 positions of need.
Doesn't matter. If the best player in the draft falls to you at pick 5, you grab him and giggle like a little girl.

No. But often it's not about making your weak areas average. Sometimes you can improve your overall team's ability by making okay areas dominant.

I speculated Mayo on my own behalf. It would make some sense as Bailey could be suited to play on the outside BUT I have no idea. Everybody is speculating that he will play in the middle, like when Detroit tried him out there. I don't know but if they could snag Mayo, I would see no problem with Denver throwing Bailey to the outside as I think his lateral movement has always been underrated. Bailey though is just a band-aid in the end though, IMHO.
I like Mayo a lot.

Doesn't matter. If the best player in the draft falls to you at pick 5, you grab him and giggle like a little girl.
Man I'd love for my WhoDeys to trade up to #5 if Dorsey is there.-QG

Every time I see McFadden interviewed, I like the kid more. I think those character concerns are overblown big time.

The guy doesn't fit the "hoodlum" mold at all.

Hot rumor on NFLN has Schefter reporting that Baltimore is trying to pull a trade with STL for #2 so they can get Matt Ryan before Atlanta does.

Users who are viewing this thread