What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2010 Philadelphia Eagles Thread *** (1 Viewer)

Ginn's contract: $1,035,833 due this year, $1,393,750 in 2011 and $1,801,667 in 2012 (which is a voidable year). He came into the league raw, and was expected to take a couple of years to mature into a pro WR. He was rushed onto the field too quickly. While he's probably not starter quality material (despite his draft pedigree), he certainly has the raw skills to be on a roster a a WR3/4 type, and has a very real chance to improve with good coaching. Those salary numbers are on the high side for a WR4, but they are not high enough to cause any real problems...and his return skills are VERY, very good. Good enough to save Jackson for better things.I wouldn't be at all upset to see the Eagles add Ginn for a mid-round pick (what would it take? a 4? probably only a 5?). It seems to make a lot of sense to me actually.
I probably should have looked up Ginn's contract before I spoke.I agree with Rene here - the contract, price, and ability suit well for a WR4 here. The Eagles and Dolphins have a good trade history as well, so I'm doing an about face on this one. Ginn is a good returner and the cost isn't too high, so I wouldn't mind seeing Philly give a 4th/5th for Ginn.

I wouldn't be at all upset to see the Eagles add Ginn for a mid-round pick (what would it take? a 4? probably only a 5?). It seems to make a lot of sense to me actually.
If any team (God forbid mine) pays more for Ginn than the Jets paid for Santonio Holmes...let's just say they are not smart people.

so youre saying a young guy with a lot of potential signed for 3 cheap years should have less trade value than a low character guy expensively signed for one year who is suspended for a portion of the season and possibly the whole season?

so youre saying a young guy with a lot of potential signed for 3 cheap years should have less trade value than a low character guy expensively signed for one year who is suspended for a portion of the season and possibly the whole season?
:bag: Saved me the trouble. You have to compare apples to apples.People often have a tendency to view ONLY a players skills when evaluating trades, and don't adequately adjust for contract situations especially.

As someone who has seen almost 30 years of Eagles football, never have I seen a skill player in Midnight green as electric as DJax. Every time he touches the ball, I feel he can score. I want him catching punts and giving opponents special teams nightmares for a long time.
I agree. I never understood why people want to take Djax off punt returns. He's the best punt returner in the league! It's a chance to put the ball in Jackson's hands? Is the injury risk really so much greater than any other play?
Apparently anyone can catch a punt along the left sideline back pedal 3 steps to avoid oncommers and then shoot like a rocket down that same left sideline untouched (Sun Night Giant game). If sitting someone with that type of talent becasue your afraid of risking injury makes any sense, then I'm watching the wrong sport.

I'm purely speculating here - but this would make sense to me.

Kirk Morrison just signed for 1-yr back with the Raiders, and rumors have it that he's available for a 4th/5th.

Give Gradkowski's injury, doesn't a Vick for Morrison deal make sense?

I'm purely speculating here - but this would make sense to me.Kirk Morrison just signed for 1-yr back with the Raiders, and rumors have it that he's available for a 4th/5th.Give Gradkowski's injury, doesn't a Vick for Morrison deal make sense?
Not right now. Who would back up the first year starter (Kolb)? Maybe if they signed Bulger......

That's where we disagree. Ginn has no more potential at WR that we have seen. He is awful. Not that it matters now - SF just gave up a "late" pick for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm purely speculating here - but this would make sense to me.Kirk Morrison just signed for 1-yr back with the Raiders, and rumors have it that he's available for a 4th/5th.Give Gradkowski's injury, doesn't a Vick for Morrison deal make sense?
Now a 4th for Morrison, I can get behind.

That's where we disagree. Ginn has no more potential at WR that we have seen. He is awful. Not that it matters now - SF just gave up a "late" pick for him.
I wouldnt say he is awful, he hasnt had the best cast of QBs tossing him the ball

You guys remember the rumor that the Birds meant to draft Morrison with the pick they used on Matt McCoy? I think it was SD State they were both stud LB's, hahaha gotta love it.

I wouldnt say he is awful, he hasnt had the best cast of QBs tossing him the ball
You've never watched him drop catchable passes have you...

You guys remember the rumor that the Birds meant to draft Morrison with the pick they used on Matt McCoy? I think it was SD State they were both stud LB's, hahaha gotta love it.
I remember it well. :goodposting:

Not right now. Who would back up the first year starter (Kolb)? Maybe if they signed Bulger......
supposedly Garcia's people have already been in contact...no teeth to that?

Wow, people really want to keep Vick? I trade him for anything at this point. I don't care who the #2 QB ends up being. He isn't going to be a mentor for Kolb... he's still learning how to be a real QB.

I'd support this team a whole lot more if he was gone.

Wow, people really want to keep Vick? I trade him for anything at this point. I don't care who the #2 QB ends up being. He isn't going to be a mentor for Kolb... he's still learning how to be a real QB. I'd support this team a whole lot more if he was gone.
I would love to see Garcia back, you couldn't ask for a better mentor for Kolb in his first year. As for Vick? They can't keep four QB's on this roster assuming they're going to draft on to devlop since Reid has alwyas done that since day 1

With four of the first 70 picks in next week's draft, the Philadelphia Eagles have the ability to put together a package to trade up. And that's reportedly what they want to do, if they can trade up to a spot where one of the top two safeties will be available.Peter King of SI.com reports that the Eagles want to move up into first half of the first round, and that they'd like to get either Eric Berry of Tennessee or Earl Thomas of Texas. (Our mock draft has Berry going seventh and Thomas going 21st.)King writes that the Dolphins, who have the 12th pick, could be the Eagles' trading partners. Dolphins boss Bill Parcells would like to have a second-round pick, but Miami currently doesn't have one after the Brandon Marshall trade.For Philadelphia, moving up would likely involve the Eagles giving up their own first-round pick (24th overall) and one or two of their other picks, which include the 35th, 55th and 70th overall.
I don't know how I feel about this. As nice as it would be to get one of those guys, I think these picks are valuable this year and we should just stay put and fill some holes.

renesauz said:
Jeff Pasquino said:
All over that deal. Vick for Morrison bring in Bulger or Garcia and draft another QB to be the 3. Now we have 2 LB spot covered. :lmao:

With four of the first 70 picks in next week's draft, the Philadelphia Eagles have the ability to put together a package to trade up. And that's reportedly what they want to do, if they can trade up to a spot where one of the top two safeties will be available.

Peter King of SI.com reports that the Eagles want to move up into first half of the first round, and that they'd like to get either Eric Berry of Tennessee or Earl Thomas of Texas. (Our mock draft has Berry going seventh and Thomas going 21st.)

King writes that the Dolphins, who have the 12th pick, could be the Eagles' trading partners. Dolphins boss Bill Parcells would like to have a second-round pick, but Miami currently doesn't have one after the Brandon Marshall trade.

For Philadelphia, moving up would likely involve the Eagles giving up their own first-round pick (24th overall) and one or two of their other picks, which include the 35th, 55th and 70th overall.
I don't know how I feel about this. As nice as it would be to get one of those guys, I think these picks are valuable this year and we should just stay put and fill some holes.
That's all good, but we have 11 picks...and room on the roster for 5-6 max. How many "holes" do you expect them to fill? FIVE picks in the first three rounds gives a ton of room to maneuver, and I'd love to see them use two to move up and snag a stud like Berry. That would still leave three more fairly valuable picks to spend on "holes".

^^^good post

this roster is way too good and young to have a lot of leftover roster space. if they dont trade away a lot of these picks they screwed up.

With four of the first 70 picks in next week's draft, the Philadelphia Eagles have the ability to put together a package to trade up. And that's reportedly what they want to do, if they can trade up to a spot where one of the top two safeties will be available.

Peter King of SI.com reports that the Eagles want to move up into first half of the first round, and that they'd like to get either Eric Berry of Tennessee or Earl Thomas of Texas. (Our mock draft has Berry going seventh and Thomas going 21st.)

King writes that the Dolphins, who have the 12th pick, could be the Eagles' trading partners. Dolphins boss Bill Parcells would like to have a second-round pick, but Miami currently doesn't have one after the Brandon Marshall trade.

For Philadelphia, moving up would likely involve the Eagles giving up their own first-round pick (24th overall) and one or two of their other picks, which include the 35th, 55th and 70th overall.
That's all good, but we have 11 picks...and room on the roster for 5-6 max. How many "holes" do you expect them to fill? FIVE picks in the first three rounds gives a ton of room to maneuver, and I'd love to see them use two to move up and snag a stud like Berry. That would still leave three more fairly valuable picks to spend on "holes".
I agree they shouldnt keep all their picks but the 2nd round picks are the value picks in my opinion. Great talent for low cost. As much as I'd like Berry, I think I'd rather have three great players at three positions of need than 1 stud. :goodposting:

^^^good post

this roster is way too good and young to have a lot of leftover roster space. if they dont trade away a lot of these picks they screwed up.
Huh? This team got abused by Dallas twice last year because the roster is NOT way too good. Probably more like way too average. They could use an upgrade and/or depth at just about every position on the roster.QB: #3 developmental guy

RB: #3 RB with some talent that could develop--please don't give me Buckley.

WR: Only 4 NFL worthy WRs on the roster(maybe 3 if you don't include Basket), could use 1 or 2 here.

TE: #2 or #3 TE needed depending on Ingram. Big need considering Celek's physical style.

OL: Could use depth at OT and an upgrade at RG, as well as a C that's more than just average.

DE: Why does it seem like the Eagles ALWAYS go into the draft needing a DE?

DT: How about a passing rushing #3 DT(or starter for that matter)?

LB: How about a difference maker at OLB?

CB: Hobbs and Hanson are #2 and #3. Yikes.

S: Unless Macho steps up big this is a huge need.

^^^good post

Huh? This team got abused by Dallas twice last year because the roster is NOT way too good. Probably more like way too average. They could use an upgrade and/or depth at just about every position on the roster.QB: #3 developmental guy

WR: Only 4 NFL worthy WRs on the roster(maybe 3 if you don't include Basket), could use 1 or 2 here.

TE: #2 or #3 TE needed depending on Ingram. Big need considering Celek's physical style.

OL: Could use depth at OT and an upgrade at RG, as well as a C that's more than just average.

:lmao: This team can stand several upgrades and plenty of additional depth.

By the way, just heard CIN may be in the mix for trading for Tony Scheffler for a 3rd or 4th. I wonder if Philly should get in on that (like they nearly did last year).

Added my comments in bold.

QB: #3 developmental guy - 4th rounder (Possibly Skelton)

RB: #3 RB with some talent that could develop--please don't give me Buckley. - Not a need since they signed Bell which IMO a very underrated move

WR: Only 4 NFL worthy WRs on the roster(maybe 3 if you don't include Basket), could use 1 or 2 here. Not a big need with the top 4 they have. This may be the best WR corps that they have had in decades.

TE: #2 or #3 TE needed depending on Ingram. Big need considering Celek's physical style. As you said it depends on Ingram. 6th round

OL: Could use depth at OT and an upgrade at RG, as well as a C that's more than just average. Agree with OT and C but i think they'll be fine at RG with Andrews. 2nd and 7th round picks

DE: Why does it seem like the Eagles ALWAYS go into the draft needing a DE? I think Tapp will be fine - not a need

DT: How about a passing rushing #3 DT(or starter for that matter)? Would be nice but wouldn't use more than a 5th.

LB: How about a difference maker at OLB? Agreed, lets say 3rd round

CB: Hobbs and Hanson are #2 and #3. Yikes. Yep, another 3rd

S: Unless Macho steps up big this is a huge need. Big need so they can use their 1st and 2nd to try and move up to get Berry.

That would still leave a 4th and 7th to use in trades or get backups at some other positions.

^^^good post

:tinfoilhat: This team can stand several upgrades and plenty of additional depth.

By the way, just heard CIN may be in the mix for trading for Tony Scheffler for a 3rd or 4th. I wonder if Philly should get in on that (like they nearly did last year).
I have always been a big Sheffler fan, but it would be more of a luxury now that Celek has emerged, no?

What bothers me is they are banking on the draft to fill alot of these needs.
Isn't that why the NFL has a draft? So teams can fill their needs?
Thats fine but when you have a few positions that need starters & have a serious lack of depth at others, its a tough pill to swallow
Delusional - I hear you, I've said it earlier though, anyone who thinks their defensive woes are solved in 2010 are kidding. I think they're at least two drafts away, and who knows what's happening as far as a work stoppage after this season. It's fine by me, Kolb needs some time with the young skill core and by 2012 I think they start the run that can take them into the next decade.

the 3rd thru 7th round guys are the ones you draft to fill in the special teams and to potentially replace aging veterans if you get lucky. this team is already loaded with this type of player except a year or three further along. imo you never want to replace a young guy with a younger guy unles its a huge upgrade. just because the team had a couple glaring needs doesn't mean what's already on the roster isn't good enough eventually, and it DEFINITELY doesnt mean you need to draft guys who would not be the answer right now just because youre feeling impateient or restless.

1st and 2nd rounders yea you can possibly draft and fit them right in. the later rounds not so much. using their later picks to either move up in this draft or stockpile picks for future years would be great given their current roster. roster space is finite and you don't want to waste any picks that other teams might give you value for on a guy who is borderline between a slight upgrade and a cut.

^^^good post

:homer: This team can stand several upgrades and plenty of additional depth.

I have always been a big Sheffler fan, but it would be more of a luxury now that Celek has emerged, no?
Cornelius Ingram should also be back as well - every report that I read before he got hurt stated that Ingram was playing lights out for a rookie. While it'd be overly optimistic to have him @ 100% at the beginning of camp, it sounds like he'll be very good if he can put this injury behind him. I was really hoping that we were going to get Scheffler last year, but now I think we have far bigger needs. I could see us trading for some veterans (aside from Scheffler), moving up and/or getting some picks next year. We've been pretty good at doing that over the last couple of years, and as others have mentioned its very doubtful we'll just stay put and make all 11 picks. It should be a pretty interesting week for sure...

CaptainHook said:
the 3rd thru 7th round guys are the ones you draft to fill in the special teams and to potentially replace aging veterans if you get lucky. this team is already loaded with this type of player except a year or three further along. imo you never want to replace a young guy with a younger guy unles its a huge upgrade. just because the team had a couple glaring needs doesn't mean what's already on the roster isn't good enough eventually, and it DEFINITELY doesnt mean you need to draft guys who would not be the answer right now just because youre feeling impateient or restless.

1st and 2nd rounders yea you can possibly draft and fit them right in. the later rounds not so much. using their later picks to either move up in this draft or stockpile picks for future years would be great given their current roster. roster space is finite and you don't want to waste any picks that other teams might give you value for on a guy who is borderline between a slight upgrade and a cut.
:thumbdown: I really don't understand all of the nay-saying. There are a few holes, but this team is exceptionally YOUNG already. In any other city, fans would be excited to have a team that made the playoffs, retained most of it's best players, has a ton of early draft picks, AND IS AMONG THE LEAGUE'S YOUNGEST TEAMS ALREADY. Instead, too many Eagles fans are whining about a loss and complaining that the team isn't good?

That makes no sense. First year defensive coordinator missing his best player all season (Bradley). Offense setting a franchise record for points and returning all of it's young and presumably improving key players. This offense, if Kolb plays like I think he can, may be first or second in the league in points scored!

The Eagles may take a small step backwards, but it shouldn't surprise anyone if they instead take a small step forwards this year.

CaptainHook said:

:thumbdown: I really don't understand all of the nay-saying. There are a few holes, but this team is exceptionally YOUNG already. In any other city, fans would be excited to have a team that made the playoffs, retained most of it's best players, has a ton of early draft picks, AND IS AMONG THE LEAGUE'S YOUNGEST TEAMS ALREADY. Instead, too many Eagles fans are whining about a loss and complaining that the team isn't good?

That makes no sense. First year defensive coordinator missing his best player all season (Bradley). Offense setting a franchise record for points and returning all of it's young and presumably improving key players. This offense, if Kolb plays like I think he can, may be first or second in the league in points scored!

The Eagles may take a small step backwards, but it shouldn't surprise anyone if they instead take a small step forwards this year.
I agree and two very good posts above.My concern lies within the OL and leadership.

With McNabb, Westy, Dawkins gone.....who is going to be the leaders on this team?

CaptainHook said:

:shrug: I really don't understand all of the nay-saying. There are a few holes, but this team is exceptionally YOUNG already. In any other city, fans would be excited to have a team that made the playoffs, retained most of it's best players, has a ton of early draft picks, AND IS AMONG THE LEAGUE'S YOUNGEST TEAMS ALREADY. Instead, too many Eagles fans are whining about a loss and complaining that the team isn't good?

:goodposting: Rene nails it.

This team scored a lot of points last year, with a good QB who never had a high comp. %. If Kolb is more accurate and can have a comp. % over 65%, this offense can be scary with all the weapons it has.

The D was terrible last year. If Bradley comes back healthy, and we can get a pass rush opposite Cole, and we fill a couple of holes (S, 2nd CB), this D will be a lot better than last year.

Kolb, Weaver and Celek will lead the O. Cole and Bradley will lead the D.
I like Weaver as much as anyone but I don't know how you can list him here and not DeSean Jackson. Him being such a threat to score anytime he gets the ball really open things up for everyone else.

Kolb, Weaver and Celek will lead the O. Cole and Bradley will lead the D.
I like Weaver as much as anyone but I don't know how you can list him here and not DeSean Jackson. Him being such a threat to score anytime he gets the ball really open things up for everyone else.
I think he meant in terms of vocal leaders, not stats leaders.
Yeah I thought that after I posted but I'd still say DeSean will lead, I like the attitude he brings to the field, much like what seemed to be lacking before the Birds got T.O. I think you need a guy out there who thinks he can't be stopped no matter what the defense does, and Desean is that guy.

the d really wasnt bad last year. they got literally bent over by dallas which has left the distinct lingering aftertaste of vomit in my mouth during this entire offseason but if you look at the whole season they were very very competent despite tons of injuries and young players. they were on something ridiculous like their 5th or 6th linebacker by the end of the season. their d-line had a bunch of very disapointing vets who have moved on. their starting free safety was a converted cb 5th round rookie. yet DVOA ranks them #6 on the year and if you look at their rate stats they only gave up 5.5 yards per passing attempt and 4.1 yards per rushing attempt. that is PLENTY good already given the offense and there's really no reason to think they won't improve.

the only real concern is losing sheldon but i can't really see that as a terrible loss given how many times i watched him get abused.

the d really wasnt bad last year. they got literally bent over by dallas which has left the distinct lingering aftertaste of vomit in my mouth during this entire offseason but if you look at the whole season they were very very competent despite tons of injuries and young players. they were on something ridiculous like their 5th or 6th linebacker by the end of the season. their d-line had a bunch of very disapointing vets who have moved on. their starting free safety was a converted cb 5th round rookie. yet DVOA ranks them #6 on the year and if you look at their rate stats they only gave up 5.5 yards per passing attempt and 4.1 yards per rushing attempt. that is PLENTY good already given the offense and there's really no reason to think they won't improve.

the only real concern is losing sheldon but i can't really see that as a terrible loss given how many times i watched him get abused.
i thought that when the trade was made, but then i realized its the eagles, who seem to make the right move here a lot more than not. i look at lito as the prime example.

the d really wasnt bad last year. they got literally bent over by dallas which has left the distinct lingering aftertaste of vomit in my mouth during this entire offseason but if you look at the whole season they were very very competent despite tons of injuries and young players. they were on something ridiculous like their 5th or 6th linebacker by the end of the season. their d-line had a bunch of very disapointing vets who have moved on. their starting free safety was a converted cb 5th round rookie. yet DVOA ranks them #6 on the year and if you look at their rate stats they only gave up 5.5 yards per passing attempt and 4.1 yards per rushing attempt. that is PLENTY good already given the offense and there's really no reason to think they won't improve. the only real concern is losing sheldon but i can't really see that as a terrible loss given how many times i watched him get abused.
I hear you Hook, but injuries hit most teams. The one glaring thing this team doesn't have now and didn't have heading into last season was a pass rush. All the disappointing vets have moved on and that leaves them with the task of filling those gaping holes. From what I hear this draft isn't packed with D ends, but if they can solve that problem first, then the rest falls into place. And no I didn't want them backing a Brinks truck into Peppers garage. I don't think this defense is good at all, any decent offense can hang 30 on this squad easily. The reality is half this league absolutely stinks, which is why the doomsday predictions for this team heading into 2010 are lost on me. All I know is if I were a betting man, I'd take the over on most of their games this year.

CaptainHook said:

:thumbup: I really don't understand all of the nay-saying. There are a few holes, but this team is exceptionally YOUNG already. In any other city, fans would be excited to have a team that made the playoffs, retained most of it's best players, has a ton of early draft picks, AND IS AMONG THE LEAGUE'S YOUNGEST TEAMS ALREADY. Instead, too many Eagles fans are whining about a loss and complaining that the team isn't good?

:goodposting: Rene nails it.

This team scored a lot of points last year, with a good QB who never had a high comp. %. If Kolb is more accurate and can have a comp. % over 65%, this offense can be scary with all the weapons it has.

The D was terrible last year. If Bradley comes back healthy, and we can get a pass rush opposite Cole, and we fill a couple of holes (S, 2nd CB), this D will be a lot better than last year.
Unless the address the C RG & OL depth situation with above average players, the dallas game is how the season is going to be

I'm betting they pounce on Pouncey

I think Kolb will be used more like Garcia... and the running game will be more of a focus. With a bad OL, that isnt possible which puts too much pressure on Kolb...

I think they trade up to get Pouncey.. draft a cornerback with their next pick, then best available of DE/S/LB

It will take a few years to "fix" the defense. Even if we draft 3 defensive players right away, they may not be ready to excel...

To me makes more sense to fix the line (especially with a Pouncey type if he is as good as hyped)... draft a few defensive players with the next picks

After this season, sign a free agent of defense (if one is available), continue to draft on the defensive side..

If Kolb is good, and the line is rebuilt, we should be back in contention in 2011.

Eagles acquire Ernie Sims from Detroit as part of a 3-way trade. Detroit yields Tony Scheffler, and Denver yields undisclosed draft pick.

I'll reserve complete judgment until I see what we gave up in this process, but I have to applaud getting a young LB like Sims; just what the doctor ordered. :hophead:

Eagles acquire Ernie Sims from Detroit as part of a 3-way trade. Detroit yields Tony Scheffler, and Denver yields undisclosed draft pick.

I'll reserve complete judgment until I see what we gave up in this process, but I have to applaud getting a young LB like Sims; just what the doctor ordered. :hophead:
The Eagles sent a fifth-round draft pick in 2010 (137th overall) to the Broncos

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/Sto...?story_id=20815

Users who are viewing this thread