What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2011 Grilling and BBQ thread*** (1 Viewer)

So I did a trial run of pulled pork and smoked a small (4 lb) Boston butt on the weber kettle for the family a week or so ago. The plan is to bring pulled pork to the fantasy football draft two saturdays form now. I used the higher heat (325 or so) that TheFanatic has on his site. If I use a larger piece of meat cut into two section, do I ball park the time based on the whole cut or each half? i.e. what approx time should I plan on for a 10lber that's been cut into (2) 5 lb sections?

(I realize it's all about internal temp, just trying to plan my course of attack)

Last edited by a moderator:
So I did a trial run of pulled pork and smoked a small (4 lb) Boston butt on the weber kettle for the family a week or so ago. The plan is to bring pulled pork to the fantasy football draft two saturdays form now. I used the higher heat (325 or so) that TheFanatic has on his site. If I use a larger piece of meat cut into two section, do I ball park the time based on the whole cut or each half? i.e. what approx time should I plan on for a 10lber that's been cut into (2) 5 lb sections?(I realize it's all about internal temp, just trying to plan my course of attack)
Two five pound chunks @ 325 ... Probably about 4.5 to 5 hours.ETA - give yourself some time on the back end though. They'll stay hot for a couple of hours easily when wrapped in foil.

So I did a trial run of pulled pork and smoked a small (4 lb) Boston butt on the weber kettle for the family a week or so ago. The plan is to bring pulled pork to the fantasy football draft two saturdays form now. I used the higher heat (325 or so) that TheFanatic has on his site. If I use a larger piece of meat cut into two section, do I ball park the time based on the whole cut or each half? i.e. what approx time should I plan on for a 10lber that's been cut into (2) 5 lb sections?(I realize it's all about internal temp, just trying to plan my course of attack)
Two five pound chunks @ 325 ... Probably about 4.5 to 5 hours.ETA - give yourself some time on the back end though. They'll stay hot for a couple of hours easily when wrapped in foil.
:goodposting: Double wrap the finished butts in heavy duty foil. Then wrap them in old heavy towels and put into a cooler and they'll stay hot for at least 3 hours. Pull them at your draft.

I've done a nice tri tip "roast" from Costco 2 of the last 3 weeks. I put roast in quotes because it's really just a large, london broil size cut. The thickness is the same cut as the steaks, it's just wider (broader).

Anyway, I'm a big fan. 1 minute on each side directly over the coals, 10 minutes of indirect with a couple of rotations and another minute on each side to finish gives me a beautiful med-rare tasty treat. Like a London Broil, you have to make sure to cut across the bias or it can be a little chewy. Makes great leftover sandwiches.

I've done a nice tri tip "roast" from Costco 2 of the last 3 weeks. I put roast in quotes because it's really just a large, london broil size cut. The thickness is the same cut as the steaks, it's just wider (broader).Anyway, I'm a big fan. 1 minute on each side directly over the coals, 10 minutes of indirect with a couple of rotations and another minute on each side to finish gives me a beautiful med-rare tasty treat. Like a London Broil, you have to make sure to cut across the bias or it can be a little chewy. Makes great leftover sandwiches.
Being from California, it always amazes me when I hear of people from other parts of the country that don't know about tri-tip.Drifter - they're also good on the smoker too. On a WSM, go for about an hour to 1.5 hours, then pull the chamber and grill of and finish over the coals to crisp up the sides a little.

Base it on the divided weight. Two Five pounders, at 300-325 should be done in 5-6 hours.

my signature wings

I boiled these first since I thought I was cooking them on propane, once I realized we were out of propane we decided to smoke them with some hickory chips and charcoal (not the Match Light seen in the pic, mistakenly purchased by the girl running the house).

rub: Tony Chachere's, Everything Rub (freshdirect), and Fire Dust - this alone was pretty spicy

Once smoked, they were dipped in Buckman's Best Suicide Wing Sauce (Lendy's) - kicked it up a few notches

Been throwing an idea around in my head for a recipe and am going to solicit some feedback from the group here. I want to do kind of a Southwestrn Smoked Chicken (or Turkey) salad.

For the meat, I need to keep it to white meat to appase the wife. If I do it with chicken, I'll probably do two matches - a mixed and a white only. I'm also considering just using a bone in turkey breast in instead. Regardless, it will be brined and cooked on the smoker.

I'm also going to take some mayo and mix it with chipotle chili powder as well as a bit of garlic, salt and pepper. I may add some smoked paprika or cumin but will probably lay off the cayenne as the chili powder tends to run pretty hot.

I'm thinking for the nut portion, I'm going to use pine nuts and for random veggies, I'm thinking raw red and/or green peppers chopped. I'm also considering smoking some jalapenos or anaheim pepper or something as well.

Any other ideas?

'Jojo the circus boy said:
my signature wings

I boiled these first since I thought I was cooking them on propane, once I realized we were out of propane we decided to smoke them with some hickory chips and charcoal (not the Match Light seen in the pic, mistakenly purchased by the girl running the house).

rub: Tony Chachere's, Everything Rub (freshdirect), and Fire Dust - this alone was pretty spicy

Once smoked, they were dipped in Buckman's Best Suicide Wing Sauce (Lendy's) - kicked it up a few notches
How long to boil and how long on the smoker?

'Jojo the circus boy said:
my signature wings

What does it matter if you thought you were cooking on propane? Why would you ever boil wings?

my signature wings

How long to boil and how long on the smoker?
once the water is to a boil add frozen wings and boil ~10 minutes

my signature wings

What does it matter if you thought you were cooking on propane? Why would you ever boil wings?
Wings were frozen, don't like burnt wings with uncooked meat.

I am looking to buy this grill for my dad for his birthday in November. It seems like $330 is pretty much the going rate no matter where I look. Does anyone know where I might be able to get it cheaper? Can I expect some sales after Labor Day? TIA.

Been throwing an idea around in my head for a recipe and am going to solicit some feedback from the group here. I want to do kind of a Southwestrn Smoked Chicken (or Turkey) salad.For the meat, I need to keep it to white meat to appase the wife. If I do it with chicken, I'll probably do two matches - a mixed and a white only. I'm also considering just using a bone in turkey breast in instead. Regardless, it will be brined and cooked on the smoker.I'm also going to take some mayo and mix it with chipotle chili powder as well as a bit of garlic, salt and pepper. I may add some smoked paprika or cumin but will probably lay off the cayenne as the chili powder tends to run pretty hot.I'm thinking for the nut portion, I'm going to use pine nuts and for random veggies, I'm thinking raw red and/or green peppers chopped. I'm also considering smoking some jalapenos or anaheim pepper or something as well.Any other ideas?
This came out great. Brined two whole fryers for around 5 hours and beer canned 'em on the smoker with Applewood at 225 for 2.5-3 hours. Pulled them off and while thy rested and cooled, threw on 3 Anaheim chile peppers. Carved up the chicken, separating the white from dark (wife won't eat dark, but don't tell her a little might have found its way to the chicken salad - shhhh). Mixed up the mayo with a very health amount of chipotle chili powder and more modest amounts of garlic powder, black papper and smoked paprika. Added chopped green and red peppers, half a sweet onion, a bag of pine nuts and the chopped up smoked Anaheims as well as a small bit of cilantro I've got going in the patio side boxes. Squeezed in a bit of lemon juice to finish it off. Lime juice would have been an interesting twist here but didn't have any handy.Anyway, it's smokey and spicey and pretty damn delicious. The Anaheims in particular added to the deliciousness. I'm a little underwhelmed with the choice of pine nuts and given their expense, will probably not use them next time. I'm not sure if walnuts or cashews would work here and my wife doesn't like nuts in her chicken salad so I may go nutless next time :unsure:Oh yea, the dark meat got mixed up with some BBQ sauce and frozen for sandwiches at a later date.

Ok I tried the smoking tip with the chips in tinfoil.

The problem is my flames are way above anywhere I place the tin foil.

Would a smoker box be a good alternative. So I light the 2 left burners and keep the food on the right non lit burners

:noob:

Ok I tried the smoking tip with the chips in tinfoil.The problem is my flames are way above anywhere I place the tin foil.Would a smoker box be a good alternative. So I light the 2 left burners and keep the food on the right non lit burners:noob:
Try getting a aluminum tin and placing the chips in that, spray them with a little water and then place the tin between your heat (left 2 burners) and cooking zone (right Burner) under your grill grates

Ok I tried the smoking tip with the chips in tinfoil.The problem is my flames are way above anywhere I place the tin foil.Would a smoker box be a good alternative. So I light the 2 left burners and keep the food on the right non lit burners:noob:
Try getting a aluminum tin and placing the chips in that, spray them with a little water and then place the tin between your heat (left 2 burners) and cooking zone (right Burner) under your grill grates
Ok this is what confuses me. I have a gas grill with 4 burners. How will the chips get hot if they are under the flames. Will the heat just disperse them :isuck:

Would a smoker box be a good alternative. So I light the 2 left burners and keep the food on the right non lit burners

Ok this is what confuses me. I have a gas grill with 4 burners. How will the chips get hot if they are under the flames. Will the heat just disperse them :isuck:
He said under the grill grates, not under the flames. Put them on top of your flames but under the grates.

I've done a nice tri tip "roast" from Costco 2 of the last 3 weeks. I put roast in quotes because it's really just a large, london broil size cut. The thickness is the same cut as the steaks, it's just wider (broader).

Anyway, I'm a big fan. 1 minute on each side directly over the coals, 10 minutes of indirect with a couple of rotations and another minute on each side to finish gives me a beautiful med-rare tasty treat. Like a London Broil, you have to make sure to cut across the bias or it can be a little chewy. Makes great leftover sandwiches.
Being from California, it always amazes me when I hear of people from other parts of the country that don't know about tri-tip.Drifter - they're also good on the smoker too. On a WSM, go for about an hour to 1.5 hours, then pull the chamber and grill of and finish over the coals to crisp up the sides a little.
In Massachusetts, its availability is almost non-existent. I'd never heard of tri-tip before this thread.

He said under the grill grates, not under the flames. Put them on top of your flames but under the grates.
Should I just take the grate off then, I don't have enough room between the flame flavore covers or whatever they call them now and the grate. I don't need that side since it's indirect heat/smoke right. :bag:

Should I just take the grate off then, I don't have enough room between the flame flavore covers or whatever they call them now and the grate. I don't need that side since it's indirect heat/smoke right. :bag:
Correct. Remove the grates and set your chip packs right on the burner covers.

Ok thanks. Going to attempt my first smoke this weekend. I'm sure to #### it up :) So I put the food on the grate on the right 2 burners that are off, for the 2 left burners that have the chips I should just set the flame to get a consistent temp right?

About 200 for ribs? 220 ish for chicken?

Ok thanks. Going to attempt my first smoke this weekend. I'm sure to #### it up :) So I put the food on the grate on the right 2 burners that are off, for the 2 left burners that have the chips I should just set the flame to get a consistent temp right?

About 200 for ribs? 220 ish for chicken?
You can cook them at any temp you choose, depends on how fast you want them to be done. Persoanlly I would cook both ribs and chicken at between 250-275, besides usning a gaser it is going to be hard to get a tempature as low as 200 in the chamber and still get the smoke you want from your wood chips.

I've been grilling oysters for the past 7 weekends. Absolute home run! I was inspired after watching an episode of "Best things I ever ate". Forget the guy's name but he raved about the grilled oysters from Drago's.

Seemed simple enough replicate. I lightly sauteed 5 minced garlic cloves in a stick of butter and 1/2 tsp dried oregano for about one minute. Added 2 tbs fresh chopped italian parsley to butter. Shucked 2 dozen oysters and placed on the grill. Drizzled the butter onto the oysters then sprinkled grated romano cheese. They cook pretty quickly, about 2-3 minutes. Make sure to have some french bread on hand to soak up the remaining juices in the shells.
This is on the list to do for the site. LOVE oysters. Any idea as to the temp of the grill? You putting these right over the coals?
Been cooking on a gas grill. I get it pretty hot, burners on full blast, but only have 3 of 5 turned on.
That's exactly what I was looking for....
Grilled them again this past weekend. Here are a few pix. pic 1 pic 2

Anybody see on the KC BBQ episode of Diners Drivethroughs and Drives, the guy (Smoking Gun BBQ, maybe?) that does the turkeys from partially frozen? Anybody ever play with that?

I don't think this is worth its own thread, so I'll post it here.

I'm looking to buy a new grill, as the one I have is a piece of crap. I have a natural gas line that is stubbed out to my porch so I am definitely going to go the natural gas grill route. The less money I have to spend, the better, so I'm probably going to try to keep this as close to $500 as possible. Having a side burner would be nice, but not a necessity.

Any ideas? I've looked into Weber Genesis line, but its a little too expensive. Should I wait a month or two for them to go on clearance/sale?

TIA.

Rank amateur griller here looking for help. Grilling pork ribs and the recipe says dry rub both sides, then drown in beer to marinade overnight. Won't that just drown out the rub? :confused:

Rank amateur griller here looking for help. Grilling pork ribs and the recipe says dry rub both sides, then drown in beer to marinade overnight. Won't that just drown out the rub? :confused:
Never done it that way, but it sure sounds like it would.

Help needed please - I'll be smoking a Pork Butt for the first time tomorrow. I've used Fanatic's rub recipe and I've seasoned the smoker before my first use (a Master Forge vertical double-door - propane). Here are my questions:

- When I pre-heat the smoker should I have water in the pan and/or chips in the wood box? Or do those go on once the temp is up to where I want it?

- Is it ok to leave for an hour while it's smoking? If I'm comfortable with the temps holding, is there any danger in being away from home for a short stretch during the smoke? Is there reason to be concerned about an unattended vertical smoker?

- On his site Fanatic puts his pork butts in pan, but I've read elsewhere to put them right on the grate. Which is correct/preferred and why?

- I plan to put a pan of beans into the smoker later in the day - should those go on a rack above or below the butt?

Pumped for my first smoke and really hoping it goes well. TIA.

Help needed please - I'll be smoking a Pork Butt for the first time tomorrow. I've used Fanatic's rub recipe and I've seasoned the smoker before my first use (a Master Forge vertical double-door - propane). Here are my questions:- When I pre-heat the smoker should I have water in the pan and/or chips in the wood box? Or do those go on once the temp is up to where I want it?- Is it ok to leave for an hour while it's smoking? If I'm comfortable with the temps holding, is there any danger in being away from home for a short stretch during the smoke? Is there reason to be concerned about an unattended vertical smoker?- On his site Fanatic puts his pork butts in pan, but I've read elsewhere to put them right on the grate. Which is correct/preferred and why?- I plan to put a pan of beans into the smoker later in the day - should those go on a rack above or below the butt? Pumped for my first smoke and really hoping it goes well. TIA.
Place the water in and then pre-heat other wise you will lose heat when you put the water in after you have preheated it.I see no danger in leavingI prefer to cook my butts on the grate fat cap upI would place the beans under the butt so that the fat can drip into the beans and add flavor.

Place the water in and then pre-heat other wise you will lose heat when you put the water in after you have preheated it.I see no danger in leavingI prefer to cook my butts on the grate fat cap upI would place the beans under the butt so that the fat can drip into the beans and add flavor.
Thanks Megla - I've spent the better part of the last few nights reading through the 2009 and 2010 thread in their entirety - have learned a ton. You and the Fanatic (among others) have been way helpful in these threads.What about the chips - should I pre-heat with them in, or add to the box when I put the butt on? Thanks again.

Chunks are preferred to chips for this type of smoking. Chips will burn up and be consumed too quickly.

Also, the water pan is there as a heat sink to help stabilize temperatures. That's why you want it in there from the start so it can come to temperature with everything else. The debate on whether the "steam" helps or not is unending.

ETA - never mind. I see you are using a propane smoker that adds the smoke.

Thanks Megla - I've spent the better part of the last few nights reading through the 2009 and 2010 thread in their entirety - have learned a ton. You and the Fanatic (among others) have been way helpful in these threads.What about the chips - should I pre-heat with them in, or add to the box when I put the butt on? Thanks again.
I'd add them when you put the butt on, you have a good 3 hours to add some smoke flavor

UPDATING - I put the pork butt on at 9 this morning. Was able to maintain a smoker temp of ~240. At 2 PM I was into "the stall" and it was time to put the beans on. That's when things seemed to go awry. I'm not exactly sure why, but I've had a hard time getting/keeping my temp up since I did all of the following at once:

1 - added some hot water to my water pan

2 - put the "Fanatic" beans on the smoker

3 - the door was open while I did these things

I had not counted on my temp dropping dramatically at that time. I've got it back up around 235 but it took a while. Is it all because I had the door open? Does adding the pan of beans into the smoker have a big impact? Adding the water?

At any rate, here's what the pork looked like after five hours (and an internal temp of 156) - Pork Butt at 5 hours

I'll circle back after we've eaten dinner. Fingers crossed.

UPDATING - I put the pork butt on at 9 this morning. Was able to maintain a smoker temp of ~240. At 2 PM I was into "the stall" and it was time to put the beans on. That's when things seemed to go awry. I'm not exactly sure why, but I've had a hard time getting/keeping my temp up since I did all of the following at once:

I had not counted on my temp dropping dramatically at that time. I've got it back up around 235 but it took a while. Is it all because I had the door open? Does adding the pan of beans into the smoker have a big impact? Adding the water?

At any rate, here's what the pork looked like after five hours (and an internal temp of 156) - Pork Butt at 5 hours

Yes....door open will lose heat. It takes a bit to get back to temp. You'll put "hot" water in, but it still has to warm up with the env. You'll be alright and you'll learn to move quickly when adding to the smoker.

'soothsayer said:

The pork turned out to be delicious. It had a great bark, was very moist, and made for tremendous sandwiches. Tomorrow's leftovers will again go on a bun but this time with some coleslaw on top. The beans were also very good, though I messed up a recipe conversion and had too much garlic in them for my taste - but my wife thought they were pretty awesome so that's good.Thanks to those who offered some last-minute advice. I can't wait to smoke some ribs or a brisket (though I know I have some work to do before I attempt the brisket).

You put in two things with much mass that were well below 240. Much of your heat went into those until they came to temperature.

WARNING!! GRILL PR0N!! WARNING!!

THE MOST EPIC DAY OF GRILLING I HAVE EVER BEEN A PART OF. SWEET JEEBUS IT WAS RIDICULOUS.

THOSE WITH ARTERY PROBLEMS COULD DIE JUST CLICKING ON THE LINK AND SCROLLING DOWN!

And a offshoot of that link, I document how to grill steaks for a crowd so that they are all done to the proper doneness and at the same time.
Good God....my arteries just ache thinking about all of that food, but wow, I'm hungry now!!!! Excellent idea to kick off the season!

Interesting. Always nice to validate what you assume to be true.

For your next challenge, can I suggest that you investigate the smoking of a frozen turkey vs brining as revealed on the KC BBQ episode of Divers Drive ins and Dives?

I didn't assume it was true. Some, including Megla on this board, think it's not a good idea. I decided to try it one night with a slab of ribs cut into thirds with rub on one, the other two I brined and marinated, respectively. I'd marinated ribs many times and didn't think there was much of a difference because I never noticed anything other than my normally pretty good ribs. The problem was I had no control group to taste them against. Once I did them side by side, the results were astonishing. I did it again a week later on my in laws. Then I did it earlier this year on my dad and again on 9/11 for the opening of the NFL season for 7 guys. So far, the brined ribs have been preferred 100% of the time.
For your next challenge, can I suggest that you investigate the smoking of a frozen turkey vs brining as revealed on the KC BBQ episode of Divers Drive ins and Dives?
Can I get a little more detail on that?

I didn't assume it was true. Some, including Megla on this board, think it's not a good idea. I decided to try it one night with a slab of ribs cut into thirds with rub on one, the other two I brined and marinated, respectively. I'd marinated ribs many times and didn't think there was much of a difference because I never noticed anything other than my normally pretty good ribs. The problem was I had no control group to taste them against. Once I did them side by side, the results were astonishing. I did it again a week later on my in laws. Then I did it earlier this year on my dad and again on 9/11 for the opening of the NFL season for 7 guys. So far, the brined ribs have been preferred 100% of the time.
Can I get a little more detail on that?
In this episode he goes to a BBQ joint where the guy says that he doesn't brine his turkeys but instead cooks them from partially frozen.

Attempting 2 spatchcocked chickens today with a very basic rub. Brined in Joe's Mountain Dew/syrup concoction this morning. As this is my first attempt at any kind of chicken (I'm new at this - today is my 3rd smoke) I won't really have anything to compare it to other than grocery store rotisserie chicken.

Rub recipe (I did NOT include the salt because I brined - is that a mistake?) - Dry Rub Fo Yo Chicken

Pictures of the chicken ready to go on the smoker - Chickens ready to smoke

I'll try to update later with finished product. Wish me luck.

ETA - Here are pics of the chickens ready to eat. They were fantastic. I spritzed them with apple juice during the smoke. I will definitely do this again. Dinner

Got 2 racks of spares with trimmings and foiled potatoes on the UDS, and a 22-lb turkey brining to put on early tomorrow morning. The Turkey was from a friend, so I am really interested on how a heavy one will turn out. Will be smoking it on at least 300.

Users who are viewing this thread