What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2011 Grilling and BBQ thread*** (1 Viewer)

If cooking a couple of butts on the bottom rack of a vertical smoker (WSM), with other meat on the upper rack, can I stick a probe thermometer into the butts and just leave it in there for several hours? I figure that would be much easier than taking the top rack off to get a good temp of the stuff below.
HEll yeah. I'll usually insert a probe into them around 3/4 into the cook and leave it in until done. Don't rely on the probe for accurate temps as you approach finish line though.... double check with 2-3 pokes of an instant read
Cool thanks. Where should I run the wires out of the smoker at? Or should I go wireless?
Random observation - One of the best things you can do for your cooking in my opinion is to wean yourself off remote thermometers / probes. Learn to just know when the stuff is done by what it looks and feels like. Always use an instant read to be sure as you have to put safety first and nobody wants undercooked stuff. But as you get more experience, you'll find benefit to getting off the remote thermometers. At least that was my experience.J
In other words, thermometers are for #######!!! YEAH!!! :thumbup:
Now Big John,...I didn't say that. But there is a truth in there I think that relying less on the thermometer is a good thing in the sense that it starts to turn cooking from a hard and fast follow these steps for this amount of time at this temperature "science"thing to more of an "art" thing. Not sure if that makes sense.J

Ok in the market for a new grill. i grill on occasion but would probably get more into it if I had a newer grill. Family of 4, we don't entertain a lot, would I notice any difference between these 2?

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-4511001-Spirit-Natural-Grill/dp/B001H1HOR8/ref=sr_1_1?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1309261896&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-6611001-Genesis-Natural-Grill/dp/B0045UBB0Y/ref=sr_1_3?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1309261896&sr=1-3

And if I get the 330 is it worth the extra 100 for the burner?

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-6631001-Genesis-Natural-Grill/dp/B0045UBB2M/ref=sr_1_2?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1309261896&sr=1-2

TIA

ETA: No I'm not getting charcoal so save any ifighting/snobbery ;)
The first is only a two burner grill and won't get as hot as the second (26000 BTU's compared to 38000). The first is a little smaller. The second has three burners but if the burners are front to back, it makes doing anything other than hot and fast hard. If the burners are side by side by side (and I don't know), then you can do just about anything you can do on a charcoal grill on it. Turn on the burner on one side, take the grill grate off covering it, throw a foil ball full of onsoaked wood chips right on the burner, put the meat on the other side of the grill - instant smoker. But if they are front to back, and my FiL's old one is like this, can't smoke without a rotisserie to keep the meat elevated and away from the hot burner.
Thanks - after reviewing not sure if I'm going to spend the money. I was looking at the DUO from mentioned in another thread. I'm not a big griller, but looking to get started.I think for now I'm going cheap and going to get the gas Char Griller - and get the side smaller box.
I have that grill. I hate it. Horizontal grills are inherently flawed even if they're made well. The Char-Griller is not made well.
Do you just mean for smoking or grilling as well?

If cooking a couple of butts on the bottom rack of a vertical smoker (WSM), with other meat on the upper rack, can I stick a probe thermometer into the butts and just leave it in there for several hours? I figure that would be much easier than taking the top rack off to get a good temp of the stuff below.
HEll yeah. I'll usually insert a probe into them around 3/4 into the cook and leave it in until done. Don't rely on the probe for accurate temps as you approach finish line though.... double check with 2-3 pokes of an instant read
Cool thanks. Where should I run the wires out of the smoker at? Or should I go wireless?
Random observation - One of the best things you can do for your cooking in my opinion is to wean yourself off remote thermometers / probes. Learn to just know when the stuff is done by what it looks and feels like. Always use an instant read to be sure as you have to put safety first and nobody wants undercooked stuff. But as you get more experience, you'll find benefit to getting off the remote thermometers. At least that was my experience.J
There is something to be said for this for sure. The only times I use therms are for pork butts (generally because I don't focus much on them on casual cooks) and chicken (safety check, though a done bird is pretty easily checked by hand). Ribs, brisket, etc are almost worthless to use therms on.

Therms are best if you're being lazy or cooking in competitions.

'[icon] said:
Therms are best if you're being lazy or cooking in competitions.
They're also nice when you have the alarm type, while cooking overnight. Sometimes the cooker gets out of control, either hot or cold. Or so I'm told.

Regarding Brisket, is there a huge taste difference between doing a 6 lb flat or a 10+ plus packer (I think that's what it's called, flat + point = a packer?).

Where do you all get your brisket from? Local butcher, chain, Sam's Club? When I was getting my boston butt at Sam's last week, they only seemed to have flats.
Yes, huge difference. A whole brisket (often called a packer) is two very distinct cuts of meat. The "flat" is very lean. The "point" is much more marbled.If you go to a real Texas BBQ place, they'll ask you which part you want. They will often refer to it as "moist" or "fatty" for the point part. And "lean" for the flat.

The "lean" is usually very lean. I much prefer the fattier cut in the point.

I can't imagine ever doing just the flat cut by itself.

Do a whole packer brisket and as it cooks you'll see it start to separate. If you cook it fat side up (as Texas law dictates), the point will be on top and run about half way of the length of the flat cut. Best way is to just cook a whole one and see how it goes. You'll ruin a couple before you get the hang of it. But mastering brisket puts you way up in the BBQ stratosphere. MUCH MUCH MUCH more difficult to get right than a fat marbled Boston Butt pork shoulder.

J
Ain't that the truth. I swore off doing briskets after about the first 3 I did. But after a while I felt the calling again to give it another shot. Now, while what I make probably isn't Texas-worthy (yet), at least it is highly edible and much, much better. It just takes practice to get that chunk of meat done right. And don't forget to make the burnt ends from the point....

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding Brisket, is there a huge taste difference between doing a 6 lb flat or a 10+ plus packer (I think that's what it's called, flat + point = a packer?).

Where do you all get your brisket from? Local butcher, chain, Sam's Club? When I was getting my boston butt at Sam's last week, they only seemed to have flats.
Yes, huge difference. A whole brisket (often called a packer) is two very distinct cuts of meat. The "flat" is very lean. The "point" is much more marbled.If you go to a real Texas BBQ place, they'll ask you which part you want. They will often refer to it as "moist" or "fatty" for the point part. And "lean" for the flat.

Do a whole packer brisket and as it cooks you'll see it start to separate. If you cook it fat side up (as Texas law dictates), the point will be on top and run about half way of the length of the flat cut. Best way is to just cook a whole one and see how it goes. You'll ruin a couple before you get the hang of it. But mastering brisket puts you way up in the BBQ stratosphere. MUCH MUCH MUCH more difficult to get right than a fat marbled Boston Butt pork shoulder.

J
Ain't that the truth. I swore off doing briskets after about the first 3 I did. But after a while I felt the calling again to give it another shot. Now, while what I make probably isn't Texas-worthy (yet), at least it is highly edible and much, much better. It just takes practice to get that chunk of meat done right. And don't forget to make the burnt ends from the point....
I take brisket as a challenge to my abilities. I can't find packer cuts, I need to order them, so I haven't smoke a packer cut yet. I have done 2-3 flats with marginal results. I need to order a packer, soon.

Been considering my grill options quite a bit lately. I am starting from scratch moving to a new place. I was strongly considering a Large Big Green Egg (Egg, table and plate setter to run me about $1200) but now I am thinking I get a 22" Weber Kettle and an 18" Weber Smoky Mountain with an ATC (automatic temp control) device - likely an Auber for about $600 total. I think I'd love the Egg but for less than 50% of my cooking being smokes, I think the Kettle and WSM make more sense at half the price.
What is it that you think you can't cook on an egg? I use mine exclusively. My gas grill has literally become just a cabinet for my egg supplies.
Yeah I knew I could do anything on the egg but I felt that with the cost and my experience and what I'd be grilling, it made more sense to go with the two Webers. More than half the time I am just cooking up typical backyard fare (dogs, burgers, chicken) so I felt the egg was excessive for that. Maybe sometime down the line, but I'm happy with the Webers so far. I felt like me going right to a BGE to cook a bunch of hot dogs would be like the guys that are decked out in all of the top of the line running gear to go out and run a 35 minute 5K :shrug:

Thanks for all the info, lots of good stuff in here.

Would anyone mind sharing their brisket techniques, rubs, injections, etc?

Some other questions:

On ribs, what is the main intent of the rub? Tenderize the meat? Form a bark?

Lastly, do any of you slather your ribs in mustard and then put on the rub? I'm wondering why I read everywhere to do this with butts but not ribs. Maybe too thick of a bark?

Anyone here cooked on an Evo Grill?

Building an outdoor kitchen and this thing looks pretty cool. Not sure if it will get that much use though to be worth the price tag. I'm having a hard time finding reviews on this grill.

J
I take brisket as a challenge to my abilities. I can't find packer cuts, I need to order them, so I haven't smoke a packer cut yet. I have done 2-3 flats with marginal results. I need to order a packer, soon.
I bet you'll find it's TONS better with the packer. The fat in the point cut helps a lot. J

Thanks for all the info, lots of good stuff in here.

Would anyone mind sharing their brisket techniques, rubs, injections, etc?

Some other questions:

On ribs, what is the main intent of the rub? Tenderize the meat? Form a bark?

Lastly, do any of you slather your ribs in mustard and then put on the rub? I'm wondering why I read everywhere to do this with butts but not ribs. Maybe too thick of a bark?
I'm thinking there are quite a few others with better brisket technique than mine. However, I just rubbed with sea salt, course black pepper, garlic and onion powder, chili powder and cayenne. It was a 12# Angus packer.

I went high heat (325*). It took about 7 hours. After the first 4 hours I sprayed with apple juice and Captain Morgan's every hour. After I took it off at about 195* I wrapped it and let it rest for 2 hours, then sliced and served.

On ribs, or anything really, the rub supplies another layer of flavor first. It does help to create bark, too. Some folks slather with mustard to help the rub stick to the meat. It burns off and isn't noticeable (though some people claim they can taste it).

Hope this helps, and I'm sure others will be along with better information.

May be a crazy question - anyone have an app they like or think is worth it?

I noticed that Weber has an iPhone app for $5 - has a bunch of recipes and suggestions. Seems like a bunch of money for what amounts to another cookbook but I was curious if anyone else has it or thinks its worth it.

Also saw an app called Grill-It! that looks interesting - new recipes every week. Seems like lots of pics. Future idea for Grillin-Fools?

There are a lot of timer apps that seem like I'd never use. By the time my phone told me to flip my friggin steak, I think I'd already have flipped the steak.

Bacon burgers Saturday. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150211102119294.332652.315133064293&l=b0984d3a9e Definitely all in on the griddled over grilled question now. Like it tons better.

J
Why? :confused:
Can't speak for Joe but the outside of the patties frying in their own seasoned fat and forming an slightly crunchy chewy crust is tastier than that fat dripping and flaring and making the unhealthy char we're supposed to be avoiding.
What is unhealthy about the char?

What is your go-to recipe for potatoes on the grill. Mine are simply OK.I just dice em up. Place then in tinfoil with butter, salt, pepper, and some seasoned salt. They come out ok. I feel I'm settling with these.
I like red potatoes on the grill:Diced upFinely chopped onion and garlicLots of black pepper and your favorite seasoning saltItalian seasoning (I like a lot as well)Parsley flakesBacon fat or butterWrap in havy duty foil, turn often, about an hour.
Why bacon fat or butter? I've been doing the same basic thing, but with olive oil. Just curious if one is better than the other.
Seriously an hour? Wow, I've done them for about 1/2 hour in the past. How hot is your grill?

Grilling rookie here, please don't abuse me :) , just looking for some tips on grilling pork ribs on a gas grill.Bake before hand? Or is that against the rules? Tips on a rub or use BBQ sauce only? Any advice appreciated.
Turn the burners on one side of the grill on until you get an internal temp inside the grill of 300. Put the ribs on the side the burners are not on and remove the grill grates on the side the burners are on. Take a couple handfuls of UNSOAKED wood chips and put them on a sheet of tin foil. Wad the foil up into a ball full of wood chips. Make up about a half dozen of these tin foil balls of chips. Put two of the balls right on the burner under the grate you just removed and close the lid. For baby backs, they'll be done in 2 hours. Spares a little longer. As for a rub. Granulated garlic, paprika, brown sugar, black pepper, salt, maybe some granulated onion, a little dried mustard and you should be good to go. Get creative with whatever you want. I rarely sauce anything. I'm almost always using a rub and a rub only.
Awesome, thanks much for the reply and info. Going to try it this weekend. :thumbup:

Bacon burgers Saturday. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150211102119294.332652.315133064293&l=b0984d3a9e Definitely all in on the griddled over grilled question now. Like it tons better.

J
Can't speak for Joe but the outside of the patties frying in their own seasoned fat and forming an slightly crunchy chewy crust is tastier than that fat dripping and flaring and making the unhealthy char we're supposed to be avoiding.
First, I abhor most food scares, believe saturated fat (bacon fat) is healthier than olive oil for cooking at any real heat, and this has nothing to do with slow cooked bark, but high heat char. Harvard Link

This research has been validated and corroborated so avoiding heterocyclic amines seems like a good idea. I know I am slow cooking more often than not. Chicken produced the most HCAs by a mile when charred, btw.

I'm putting out the best steaks of my life this summer with a slower method and avoiding the flare ups as much as I can. I use the paper towel dry aging technique, allow bacon grease to melt into the top of the meat while on indirect heat, and do my searing with the meat much higher than the coals than in the past. Many serious eaters consider sous vide steaks cooked for 18 hours to be the best in the world, so slowing down the process to avoid the unhealthy char is not bad for the taste of your meat. I like the control I have by slowing down and the process is much more relaxing.

Anyone here cooked on an Evo Grill?

Building an outdoor kitchen and this thing looks pretty cool. Not sure if it will get that much use though to be worth the price tag. I'm having a hard time finding reviews on this grill.
I've spent enough time in restaurant kitchens to value a flat top grill as a necessity but that thing is ridiculous for the price. I bought commercial quality from a restaurant going out of business as part of a $600 purchase that included a commercial deep fryer. They are both installed in an outdoor kitchen. You could buy four of these for the price of that 30G and one of them would probably prove superior. I use mine for pancakes and french toast more than anything else. Buy one of those and you have money for the sous vide machine.

J
First, I abhor most food scares, believe saturated fat (bacon fat) is healthier than olive oil for cooking at any real heat, and this has nothing to do with slow cooked bark, but high heat char. Harvard Link

This research has been validated and corroborated so avoiding heterocyclic amines seems like a good idea. I know I am slow cooking more often than not. Chicken produced the most HCAs by a mile when charred, btw.

I'm putting out the best steaks of my life this summer with a slower method and avoiding the flare ups as much as I can. I use the paper towel dry aging technique, allow bacon grease to melt into the top of the meat while on indirect heat, and do my searing with the meat much higher than the coals than in the past. Many serious eaters consider sous vide steaks cooked for 18 hours to be the best in the world, so slowing down the process to avoid the unhealthy char is not bad for the taste of your meat. I like the control I have by slowing down and the process is much more relaxing.
Interesting. Can you describe in detail exactly how you're cooking these steaks?Thanks.

J

Interesting. Can you describe in detail exactly how you're cooking these steaks?Thanks.J
Sure. I cow pooled on a few hundred pounds of grass fed and finished beef. That stuff is leaner than feedlot beef and cooks faster. First I use Alton Brown's paper towel dry aging in the fridge technique. Basically, I thaw the meat wrapped heavily in paper towels, changing the towels daily for four or five days. This sucks out moisture like the heavy salt and rinse before grilling technique w/o all the salt. I like to marinade my steaks the morning before I cook them. Vinegar, olive oil, red wine, garlic and onion is common, but I might go with beer, garlic, a touch of balsamic and bbq sauce. If you read my link and google for more about these HCAs, marinading is very healthy for all grilled meats. I toss the marinade and pat the meat dry before seasoning with Montreal steak spices. I cook bacon stuffed in a coffee cup in the microwave all the time, great for bits, blts, etc. The guy at Cooking for Engineers did some great tests on the best way to cook bacon and if you like it meaty and chewy the mike was best. It comes out nice once you master it. Four thick pieces go for three minutes, get turned, go for two minutes, get checked and are either done and pulled, still sizzling in a cup of fat and just need to sit, or go for another minute. Put a napkin in the top of the that cup to avoid splatter. I remove the bacon from the coffee cup and strain the liquid fat through cheese cloth for other uses. I set the grill up for indirect heat, coals to one side. I raise the grill to the highest position and set the steaks on the grill away from the coals and smear a pat of yummy white bacon fat atop each one. It melts in around and drips. I turn them and do the other side with the fat, then three of four at a time I take them over the coals for searing and move them back off the heat. I do this after the fat is dripped off clean because I want to minimize flares. This all goes to what you're saying about losing thermometers. I'm doing seven steaks, two rare, three medium rare, one medium and one well done. It is much easier to get right with the slower indirect heat set up, because they rise in temp away from that heat source. Well done stays over the coals a few minutes longer than rare and they all get right eventually. I've pulled rare 2" steaks off with this method that had been out there on the grill 20 minutes, just never over the main heat, 'cept for quickly at the end. My bro manages 5 star restaurants and pokes a piece of meat with his finger and tells you how done it is, so he is often out back with me. ;) He is gushing over this method this summer. Not bragging, but I am getting crazy good reviews on steaks and a little sick of doing them, antsy to get that brisket right.

I agree with joe about doing burgers on the flat top or in a pan for the crunchy crust, but I have also had awesome results with the indirect heat method described above for steaks. I get them seared and move them away from the coals. It is just easier for me to get them right by doing this and it avoids flares and singed arm hair and whatnot. Juicy burgers too.

In the past I've done a bunch of burgers or steaks and been so smoked out before dinner that I wanted a shower before I ate. This method also avoids that overheated smokey man thing.

Interesting. Can you describe in detail exactly how you're cooking these steaks?Thanks.J
Sure. I cow pooled on a few hundred pounds of grass fed and finished beef. That stuff is leaner than feedlot beef and cooks faster. First I use Alton Brown's paper towel dry aging in the fridge technique. Basically, I thaw the meat wrapped heavily in paper towels, changing the towels daily for four or five days. This sucks out moisture like the heavy salt and rinse before grilling technique w/o all the salt. I like to marinade my steaks the morning before I cook them. Vinegar, olive oil, red wine, garlic and onion is common, but I might go with beer, garlic, a touch of balsamic and bbq sauce. If you read my link and google for more about these HCAs, marinading is very healthy for all grilled meats. I toss the marinade and pat the meat dry before seasoning with Montreal steak spices. I cook bacon stuffed in a coffee cup in the microwave all the time, great for bits, blts, etc. The guy at Cooking for Engineers did some great tests on the best way to cook bacon and if you like it meaty and chewy the mike was best. It comes out nice once you master it. Four thick pieces go for three minutes, get turned, go for two minutes, get checked and are either done and pulled, still sizzling in a cup of fat and just need to sit, or go for another minute. Put a napkin in the top of the that cup to avoid splatter. I remove the bacon from the coffee cup and strain the liquid fat through cheese cloth for other uses. I set the grill up for indirect heat, coals to one side. I raise the grill to the highest position and set the steaks on the grill away from the coals and smear a pat of yummy white bacon fat atop each one. It melts in around and drips. I turn them and do the other side with the fat, then three of four at a time I take them over the coals for searing and move them back off the heat. I do this after the fat is dripped off clean because I want to minimize flares. This all goes to what you're saying about losing thermometers. I'm doing seven steaks, two rare, three medium rare, one medium and one well done. It is much easier to get right with the slower indirect heat set up, because they rise in temp away from that heat source. Well done stays over the coals a few minutes longer than rare and they all get right eventually. I've pulled rare 2" steaks off with this method that had been out there on the grill 20 minutes, just never over the main heat, 'cept for quickly at the end. My bro manages 5 star restaurants and pokes a piece of meat with his finger and tells you how done it is, so he is often out back with me. ;) He is gushing over this method this summer. Not bragging, but I am getting crazy good reviews on steaks and a little sick of doing them, antsy to get that brisket right.
Very cool. Thanks for sharing, I'll have to try that.Big fan of using bacon fat. I can see how the coffee cup thing would be good. I usually just bake in the oven. Lay a piece of foil down on a cookie sheet. Put the bacon on that and bake at 400 for about 22 minutes. Or however done you want it. Then pour the fat off the foil into a storage container that stays in the fridge so you always have clean white bacon fat lard to use.Made the bacon burgers again tonight. Also did fried pickles and jalapenos. Came out really good.Keep chugging on the brisket. I think it's mostly finding what works best for your cooker. The last one I did for the 4th , I was really pleased with.J

For the sear, do you do that at the very end right before pulling off the grill? And why do you do the sear - to get the color / crust right?J

I like red potatoes on the grill:Diced upFinely chopped onion and garlicLots of black pepper and your favorite seasoning saltItalian seasoning (I like a lot as well)Parsley flakesBacon fat or butterWrap in havy duty foil, turn often, about an hour.
Seriously an hour? Wow, I've done them for about 1/2 hour in the past. How hot is your grill?
Not to speak for Tony, but it depends on a couple things. How big are you cutting the potatoes? How dense are the potatoes you're using? Sweet potato fries cut into steak fries and wrapped in foil take close to an hour even at 400+ to get them tender - which is far and away the most important thing imo. I also like to use a good amount of sea salt to bring the moisture out. Diced potatoes cook a lot quicker, but they're really easy to char, especially using foil, because the unevenness of the foil creates some hot spots. I try to oil the foil, not the potatoes, and then roll the potatoes around on the foil before putting it on the grill - I find that soaks up most of the extra oil to prevent pooling. Once they're oiled up, then I season them, which makes it stick better. I know a lot of people will disagree with this, but I like to use onion and garlic powder instead of fresh, not just because it's easier, but because they stick to the oil and create some nice crumblies that I can shake off over the potatoes to give them some extra flavor.

For the sear, do you do that at the very end right before pulling off the grill? And why do you do the sear - to get the color / crust right?J
I was afraid of this question only because nothing is carved in stone by me anyway. I am playing out there with this method. Sometimes I'll go old school and sear them first, then melt the fat into the seared outsides. This is common for 3 or less steaks (easy). Sometimes I'll add fat more than once during the cook. Sometimes I'll sear them in a rotation based on preferences. This is when I am cooking up a mess of steaks for my typical crowd of 7 to 10, all family. My dad (rip) had this Sunday bbq tradition, my mom lives with me now, so I have assumed the position. Well done is seared first, then medium, then med rare, then rare. That is more common and easier for a crowd for me. The more someone wants it cooked, obviously the more time it will spend both over the coals and closer to them than the other meat. But I do try to get the outsides uniform with an even sear on them all. So in a sense there's three cooking zones here. One over the coals, one closer to the coals, one far from the coals. I know the heat gets pretty even away from the coals but there is still some higher heat coming from that middle area than the opposite end. Depending on how slow I am getting them right, rare may not see the coals unti the very end, and then lowered and seared fast while the others rest on the opposite end. Also rare and med rare may just stay inside for a few minutes before hitting the grill in different zones. I do despise my well done orderers, but I have two of them and they hates the blood, but buy plenty of meat and bring desserts. :)Pretty sure it was Alton Brown who explained how searing does not sear in juices, but adds flavor and sure some aesthetics, so that is why I sear, and why I do not necessarily sear first.

I was afraid of this question only because nothing is carved in stone by me anyway. I am playing out there with this method. Sometimes I'll go old school and sear them first, then melt the fat into the seared outsides. This is common for 3 or less steaks (easy). Sometimes I'll add fat more than once during the cook. Sometimes I'll sear them in a rotation based on preferences. This is when I am cooking up a mess of steaks for my typical crowd of 7 to 10, all family. My dad (rip) had this Sunday bbq tradition, my mom lives with me now, so I have assumed the position. Well done is seared first, then medium, then med rare, then rare. That is more common and easier for a crowd for me. The more someone wants it cooked, obviously the more time it will spend both over the coals and closer to them than the other meat. But I do try to get the outsides uniform with an even sear on them all. So in a sense there's three cooking zones here. One over the coals, one closer to the coals, one far from the coals. I know the heat gets pretty even away from the coals but there is still some higher heat coming from that middle area than the opposite end. Depending on how slow I am getting them right, rare may not see the coals unti the very end, and then lowered and seared fast while the others rest on the opposite end. Also rare and med rare may just stay inside for a few minutes before hitting the grill in different zones. I do despise my well done orderers, but I have two of them and they hates the blood, but buy plenty of meat and bring desserts. :)Pretty sure it was Alton Brown who explained how searing does not sear in juices, but adds flavor and sure some aesthetics, so that is why I sear, and why I do not necessarily sear first.
Cool. Thanks.J

Are the old bbq threads gone? Lost the baked beans recipe and recall it being posted in last year's thread, but could not find it. If anyone has what was posted and can repost, that would be great!

ETA: Found old thread, but if anyone wants to repost the recipe and save me from sifting through 27 pages, that would be awesome.

What is your go-to recipe for potatoes on the grill. Mine are simply OK.

I just dice em up. Place then in tinfoil with butter, salt, pepper, and some seasoned salt. They come out ok. I feel I'm settling with these.
I like red potatoes on the grill:Diced up

Finely chopped onion and garlic

Lots of black pepper and your favorite seasoning salt

Italian seasoning (I like a lot as well)

Parsley flakes

Bacon fat or butter

Wrap in havy duty foil, turn often, about an hour.
Why bacon fat or butter? I've been doing the same basic thing, but with olive oil. Just curious if one is better than the other.
You know the answer here, Fred.In manly grilling who cares about health type discussions, it's Bacon Fat >>>>>>>>>Butter>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Olive Oil

J
Probably true. I don't mind eating unhealthy. I just wonder if it really makes it taste better. I like olive oil. I like butter, too. I've never cooked with bacon fat. I'm worried I might be missing out.
Hi Fred.I can say with confidence your worries are justified... ;)

J
:thumbup: :thumbup: Thick Ribeye's, said taters above, corn on the cob, and some coleslaw for tonights Sunday supper.

Are the old bbq threads gone? Lost the baked beans recipe and recall it being posted in last year's thread, but could not find it. If anyone has what was posted and can repost, that would be great!ETA: Found old thread, but if anyone wants to repost the recipe and save me from sifting through 27 pages, that would be awesome.
This one?:http://grillinfools.com/2009/03/03/who-needs-baked-beans-when-you-can-have-grilled-beans/

What is your go-to recipe for potatoes on the grill. Mine are simply OK.I just dice em up. Place then in tinfoil with butter, salt, pepper, and some seasoned salt. They come out ok. I feel I'm settling with these.
Diced takes a whle. (I do like them kinda crispy)Sometimes I thinly slice then half. Once again, I like a crispy exterior with some soft taters in the middle.

I did my first whole packer brisket this weekend. It weighed in at 12.5 lbs. I cooked it a tad too long, as it was a little dryer than I would have liked.

In some parts I was getting a temp of 185-188ish (end half of the flat; opposite of point), then around the point I was getting 199-200. Because of the 185ish I left it on probably an hour too long. It had tremendous flavor though, and a great bark. For my first whole packer, I'd say it was a definite success.

Here she is sliced up.

Did my lazy man's ribs yesterday.

Country style ribs.

lay them out on foil on a cookie sheet, salt and pepper them, lay slices of onion on top...cover in foil

2 hours on 325 in the oven (thats the lazy part...it was more because I had to run some errands and couldn't man the grill til later).

Pulled them out of the oven, and onto the grill for about 20 minutes...basting in BBQ sauce the last 5-10 minutes.

Tender as always with plenty of flavor.

Did some grilled zucchini skewers as well (olive oil, ground garlic sea salt, ground pepper).

I did my first whole packer brisket this weekend. It weighed in at 12.5 lbs. I cooked it a tad too long, as it was a little dryer than I would have liked.

In some parts I was getting a temp of 185-188ish (end half of the flat; opposite of point), then around the point I was getting 199-200. Because of the 185ish I left it on probably an hour too long. It had tremendous flavor though, and a great bark. For my first whole packer, I'd say it was a definite success.

Here she is sliced up.
Awesome. Looks great. :thumbup: For a first try, I'd say that's outstanding. Main thing is to learn and try things next time. Part of the reason some of these guys are so great at cooking brisket is they've cooked a zillion. You get a feel for the timing as to how it relates to the meat / heat / wind / etc. Great job.

J

J
What CC said. The crust is fantastic. And you're not losing all the juice dripping down into the flame. For a long time, it seemed folks were split about 50-50 on the griddled vs grill thing but now I'm seeing most of the hot shot type burger chefs leaning more toward the griddle. That doesn't matter to me though. I think it tastes better.J
Would you have a link for the griddle you have?

J
What CC said. The crust is fantastic. And you're not losing all the juice dripping down into the flame. For a long time, it seemed folks were split about 50-50 on the griddled vs grill thing but now I'm seeing most of the hot shot type burger chefs leaning more toward the griddle. That doesn't matter to me though. I think it tastes better.J
Would you have a link for the griddle you have?
Sure Spike,

This one for smaller cookouts https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1_new.asp?menu=logic&idProduct=3986

Then this one for bigger ones https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1_new.asp?menu=logic&idProduct=3943

Alhtough I think anything flat would work. A regular cast iron skillet would be just as good. https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1_new.asp?menu=logic&idProduct=3924

J

Made this recipe this weekend, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/07/bolo-burger-recipe.html

BOLO BURGER BY BOBBY FLAY

Ingredients

serves 4

Piquillo Pepper-Smoked Paprika Aioli

1/2 cup mayonnaise

2 cloves garlic, chopped

2 jarred piqiullo peppers, drained

2 teaspoons smoked sweet Spanish paprika

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Burgers

1 1/2 pounds ground chuck (80 percent lean)

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

3 tablespoons canola oil

4 sesame seed hamburger buns, split; toasted if desired

8 slices Manchego cheese

8 paper-thin slices Serrano ham

Procedures1

To make the aioli, combine the mayonnaise, garlic, peppers, paprika, and salt in a food processor and process until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving. The aioli can be prepared 1 day in advance, tightly covered, and refrigerated.

Divide the meat into 4 equal portions (about 6 ounces each). Form each portion loosely into a 3/4-inch-thick burger and make a deep impression in the center with your thumb. Season both sides of each burger with salt and pepper. Cook the burgers, using 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil.

If using a grill: Heat a gas grill to high or heat coals in a charcoal grill until they glow bright orange and ash over. Brush the burgers with oil. Grill the burgers until golden brown and slightly charred on the first side, about 3 minutes. Flip over the burgers. Cook burgers until golden brown and slightly charred on the second side, 4 minutes for medium rare

Place the buns on a flat surface and spread half of the aioli over them. Top each one with a slice of the cheese, then a slice of the ham, then a burger, another slice of ham, and finally another slice of cheese, in that order. Spread the rest of the aioli on the bun tops and cover each burger with a top.

Brush the tops of the buns with the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil and place on the grill, griddle, or sauté pan, top side down. Using a heavy-duty metal spatula, press down on the bottom of the buns and grill until the tops are light golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Turn the burgers over and continue cooking, pressing down the tops, until the bottoms are light golden brown and the cheese has melted, about 1 minute longer. Serve immediately.

:thumbup:

What's the difference between griddled and cooked indoors on a frying pan? Do you close the top or get higher heat or ?

This thread is awesome and honestly the reason i signed up to these forums. Not necessarily to contribute (yet) but to express thanks for the tips and food ideas contained within. :thumbup:

With all the pro recipes and tips being shared here I feel a bit sheepish posting this but oh well.....

I grilled a Vidalia Onion over this past weekend. It doesn't get any easier than this.

- Cut the onion up into "chips" (just small bite-sized thin chunks)

- Melt 1/2 stick of butter (or more)

- Use tin foil to create a small foil-bowl (or use a foil platter of some sort) and place all onion chips in it

- Drizzle all onion pieces with butter

- Salt and pepper very liberally

- Grill for 3-5 minutes with a piece of foil over the top - then flip them all around in the butter and re-salt/pepper, grill without the foil on top for another 3-5 minutes.

These things taste like candy. Perfect for eating as an appetizer or for using on burgers/brats.

With all the pro recipes and tips being shared here I feel a bit sheepish posting this but oh well.....I grilled a Vidalia Onion over this past weekend. It doesn't get any easier than this.- Cut the onion up into "chips" (just small bite-sized thin chunks)- Melt 1/2 stick of butter (or more)- Use tin foil to create a small foil-bowl (or use a foil platter of some sort) and place all onion chips in it- Drizzle all onion pieces with butter- Salt and pepper very liberally- Grill for 3-5 minutes with a piece of foil over the top - then flip them all around in the butter and re-salt/pepper, grill without the foil on top for another 3-5 minutes.These things taste like candy. Perfect for eating as an appetizer or for using on burgers/brats.
:thumbup: Guy, NEVER hesitate to share something like this. Some guys here get to grill more than others or have been cooking longer than others but there are no "pros" here. This thread is about sharing and grilling and BBQ. Great post.J

With all the pro recipes and tips being shared here I feel a bit sheepish posting this but oh well.....I grilled a Vidalia Onion over this past weekend. It doesn't get any easier than this.- Cut the onion up into "chips" (just small bite-sized thin chunks)- Melt 1/2 stick of butter (or more)- Use tin foil to create a small foil-bowl (or use a foil platter of some sort) and place all onion chips in it- Drizzle all onion pieces with butter- Salt and pepper very liberally- Grill for 3-5 minutes with a piece of foil over the top - then flip them all around in the butter and re-salt/pepper, grill without the foil on top for another 3-5 minutes.These things taste like candy. Perfect for eating as an appetizer or for using on burgers/brats.
:thumbup: Guy, NEVER hesitate to share something like this. Some guys here get to grill more than others or have been cooking longer than others but there are no "pros" here. This thread is about sharing and grilling and BBQ. Great post.J
:goodposting: That's a little different than how I grill my onions usually. Gonna have to give it a try. Thanks for posting!

:goodposting: That's a little different than how I grill my onions usually. Gonna have to give it a try. Thanks for posting!
:goodposting: Next time, add a little garlic powder and fresh mushrooms and prepare to taste heaven.

Ok....good and bad today:

Bad first: neighbor brought a venison roast for me to smoke for him. He brined it for about 36 hours, and my notes said to pull off at 160 internal. Temp stuck at 150 for a good 2-3 hours. I decided to foil because maybe there was a plateau to be broken. I went back 30 minutes later and the therm was sitting at 190! I immediately pulled it off and brought it over and explained. Not sure if the 190 was partly from the temp inside the foil, but he said most of it was pretty tough and overcooked :(

Good: About 2/3 of the way through, I put on a turkey breast loaf to slice up for lunch meat. Smoker was initially at about 240, and opened her up when I took the deer off. Pulled at 173 and was nice and juicy and ready for cooling.

I have done deer shoulder before with very good results. This one has me shuked. I checked temp in both pieces also and were reading the same. I'm pretty sure my therm is still working ok since the turkey came out great.

Oh well....live and learn.

Here she is sliced up.
Awesome. Looks great. :thumbup: For a first try, I'd say that's outstanding. Main thing is to learn and try things next time. Part of the reason some of these guys are so great at cooking brisket is they've cooked a zillion. You get a feel for the timing as to how it relates to the meat / heat / wind / etc. Great job.

J
Thanks! The rub, wet injection, and spritz I used are listed below:

Rub (some amounts are a little odd since I had to increase the original amount of rub x3):

6 beef bouillon cubes, crushed

3 tbsp brown sugar

1.5 tbsp black pepper

1.5 tbsp paprika

3/4 tbsp kosher salt

3/4 tbsp onion powder

1.5 tsp cumin

1.5 tsp dried oregano

3/4 tsp garlic powder

Wet Injection:

1/2 C Worcestershire Sauce

1/2 C BBQ Sauce

1 C Dr. Pepper

Spritzed about every 45 min over the last 4-5 hrs:

Dr. Pepper and Worcestshire (about 50/50)

The rub had a little kick to it, and I loved the flavor the beef bouillon added. I get the feel more experienced BBQ'ers might scoff at the beef bouillon, but it worked!

Anyone ever have Jerk Steak? Everyone's at least heard of jerk chicken or pork, but I'd never heard of jerk steak. I love jerk flavors. Fiery hot, but not so much so that the flavor of the food is completely obliterated. It's the perfect combination of heat and flavor in my opinion. I love jerk seasoning and I love steak. Seems like a match made in heaven, and well, it is. I've had it four times in six weeks. I documented the process twice here.
One of the best steaks I have EVER had was a jerk steak at a place in Jamaica. It was absolute perfection :moneybag: Spicy, sweet, just the right amount of heat :wub:
When I worked here we did a jerk ny strip. Our own house habanero jerk sauce. Great stuff.

I've got my first big cook (big for me anyway) coming up in a couple weeks, I'll be feeding ~30.

Is there a rule of thumb for pounds of raw meat per person?

I was thinking of doing an 8 lb butt, an 8 lb brisket, and 3-4 racks of ribs on the smoker. I'll probably also have some burgers/brats/dogs on the gas grill.

Next question, think I can get the bolded on a WSM 18.5"? I've got a rib rack and can get another. If need be, I could add a 3rd grate under the top grate with a simple mod.
IMO I'd leave the ribs off for a single WSM cook for 30 people. you're talking about 1 bone per person at that point. It's not really worth it IMO. You'll need to tie up a full level of your smoker. You should be able to fit a brisket and shoulder on the lower level but imo you will come up a little short on food. For 30 people you should have at least 15lbs of cooked meat. I would personally cook two 8lb Butts and and the brisket. JMHO of course.
I've kind of changed my mind a bit. The cook is this Saturday, there will be about 20 adults and 10 kids. I plan to do:1 9-10lb Butt

2 5lb Chickens

5 racks SLC spares

Burgers/Dogs/Brats - for the kids and as a backup in case the above runs short

I think that should be plenty of meat. I think I can get the Butt and 2 chickens on the lower rack of my WSM 18.5 and the ribs on top, with a big rib rack I just got.

After cooking a butt and brisket the last couple of weeks for the first time, I realized the butt is much easier than brisket and takes up less room. I've also done brined whole chickens in the past, and they're fabulous to eat and a breeze to smoke and carve. I think I could also fit a tray of baked beans under the ribs with the mod mentioned above.

:banned:

Users who are viewing this thread