What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2011 Grilling and BBQ thread*** (1 Viewer)

I am looking for an outdoor bbq prep station table. Any suggestions? I've seen a few that are plastic and look like they would be used at a justice of the peace reception in bakersfield. Not ruling out plastic but wood or metal preferred.
Look into restaurant supply places. Stainless tables are pretty affordable and hold up EXTREMELY well to the elements. I had left one at a buddys lakehouse for almost 2 years out in the elements and it was in near mint condition. Sturdy as hell. Easy to clean too. Don't halfass it to save a few bucks. Buy the right one the first time and it'll outlast your smoker.
Thanks Chewy! I'm leaning towards stainless!

I am looking for an outdoor bbq prep station table. Any suggestions? I've seen a few that are plastic and look like they would be used at a justice of the peace reception in bakersfield. Not ruling out plastic but wood or metal preferred.
Look into restaurant supply places. Stainless tables are pretty affordable and hold up EXTREMELY well to the elements. I had left one at a buddys lakehouse for almost 2 years out in the elements and it was in near mint condition. Sturdy as hell. Easy to clean too. Don't halfass it to save a few bucks. Buy the right one the first time and it'll outlast your smoker.
also, consider the height of the table... at the BBQ competition I went to, most teams had plastic tables (for portability) and all of them had 2-3ft PVC extensions to bring the table up to a comfortable height... you dont want to be hunched over a table doing prep-work for long periods.

Yesterday I wanted to do something with a bunch of big Bell Peppers I needed to pick so I googled smoked stuffed bell peppers. I got plenty of ideas from those links but decided to do my own thing as long as I stuck to the basic ideas. It seems a bell roasts best on indirect heat over 325 for about 45 minutes to an hour. These came out really good so here's what I did.

I split 6 bells in half like these here. But I didn't follow that recipe. In olive oil I sauteed an onion and three cloves of garlic. With the back of a spoon I spread a tablespoon of cream cheese in the bottom of each half (thinking about cream cheese stuffed poppers). I put the sauteed onion garlic mix over the cream cheese. Each half then got two very sweet cherry tomatoes also halved (cut sides up), pressed into the garlic/onion/cream cheese. I topped the tomatoes with sliced pepperoni and the pepperoni with a mozzarella, romano blend. I roasted them until the peppers were soft and the cheese melted and browning. B i g h i t.
Sounds good. I may have to give this a try.
Tasted like smokey pizza. I used them as a side, but they'd work as appetizers or possibly a main course. They took up a bit of space so I rotated them every 15 minutes to cook them evenly and used a strip of tin foil as a heat shield for those closest to the coals.
I've got a couple stuffed veggie recipes I need to do for the site. Stuffed and smoked tomatoes and stuffed peppers. I think your stuffed peppers are better than mine from what I remember and reading this. I might have to use this as a basis for my next post on the website...
They would have been better with more tomato. They flattened out a bit, so instead of sticking rigidly to two halved cherries per pepper half, just fill that half nice and tight with a little lip for the pepperoni and cheese topping to sink into rather than all over the outside. I would not use a bland store bought slicer or roma tomato, but Comparis from the store or a tasty homegrown 'other' would suffice. I just have over 100 cherry tomato plants producing atm. :)
I did this yesterday. I used yellow peppers and cherry maters sliced into quarters. I put cream cheese along the bottom, filled with maters, then five slices of pepperoni or two slices of sweet coppa then I put monterjack cheese or muenster on top. With the pepperoni I wanted to get away from mozzarella as it seemed too "pizza-ish." I smoked them for 50 minutes with sassafras and then put the cheese on top for the last 10. They were outfreakin standing. Tonight I'm going to grill some slices of pear to soften them up, then put them on a slice of prosciutto with one of three different cheeses (feta, blue, and smoked gouda), wrap the prosciutto around it and stab with a skewer. I'm going to do a quick sear on some, and indirect some others to see what is the best combo. I realize it's a little fru-fru, but man can't live by brisket alone...
Dude. Foul for using "sassafras" and "mater" in the same post. In fact, using "mater" alone is enough for a foul... ;) J

'PatriotJohn said:
FINALLY got my 55 gallon drum smoker finished.

Smoker

All I need to add is a Patriots magnet, and a beer bottle opener. Seasoning will be Tuesday with some sacrificial ribs for dinner.
Nice work! Gas?
Thanks!It's strictly a charcoal smoker. Ribs are thawing now and will rub and set in fridge overnight tonight.
That is awesome. :thumbup: Where did you score that sweet lid?
What's that pipe with the ball valve on the side?
Air supply. Controls air flow to the charcoal. Just extended to the top to make it easier to get to.
Big John and Patriot John, I know some of the BBQ boards have the 800 page thread on how to make the drum smokers. Is there a concise version out there? I know lots of people love them.J

I want to do my own sausage. Where do I get casings? Also, they make an attachment for a Kitchen Aid mixer to fill the casings, but I'm not sure if it's any good. Anyone make their own sausage around here?

also, consider the height of the table... at the BBQ competition I went to, most teams had plastic tables (for portability) and all of them had 2-3ft PVC extensions to bring the table up to a comfortable height... you dont want to be hunched over a table doing prep-work for long periods.
Yes, I'd like mine close to 4 foot. Going to check with a friend who sells restaurant equipment. See if he can help me out.

I want to do my own sausage. Where do I get casings? Also, they make an attachment for a Kitchen Aid mixer to fill the casings, but I'm not sure if it's any good. Anyone make their own sausage around here?
Was just looking at that yesterday but was also wondering about the casings!

:hifive:
Damn thing sits and collects dust on my counter. Could at least be making sausages with it!
Do you have the attachment? Not sure we do. I'd have to ask the wife :bag:

Air supply. Controls air flow to the charcoal. Just extended to the top to make it easier to get to.
Just an idea but you should look into a Air Mattress pump or retrofitting some sort of battery powered fan that could attach to a "T" fitting. Would be an easy way to stoke the fire on the cheap! Forced air induction would help bring temps up pretty good when needed. :thumbup:

'The Commish said:
'SofaKings said:
'The Commish said:
'SofaKings said:
'The Commish said:
Damn thing sits and collects dust on my counter. Could at least be making sausages with it!
I make about 200 lbs of sausage a year ( much of it venison). I still use the kitchen aid meat grinder attachment but it is pretty worthless as a sausage stuffer. Maybe ok if you're only doing a few pounds but it is very cumbersome. I eventually splurged and bought a 25lb hopper stuffer from cabelas. Works awesome. As for casings I get most all of my supplies from LEM products. Natural and collagen casings, cures, seasoning kits.....they have it all. Top notch product. Their sweet Italian sausage mix is fantastic. Also do a ton of their summer sausage on the big green egg.

'[icon] said:
'SofaKings said:
Great post. I now know what I'm going to get my mom for Christmas.

'The Commish said:
'SofaKings said:
'The Commish said:
'SofaKings said:
'The Commish said:
I make about 200 lbs of sausage a year ( much of it venison). I still use the kitchen aid meat grinder attachment but it is pretty worthless as a sausage stuffer. Maybe ok if you're only doing a few pounds but it is very cumbersome. I eventually splurged and bought a 25lb hopper stuffer from cabelas. Works awesome. As for casings I get most all of my supplies from LEM products. Natural and collagen casings, cures, seasoning kits.....they have it all. Top notch product. Their sweet Italian sausage mix is fantastic. Also do a ton of their summer sausage on the big green egg.
Thanks dn.I'd like to learn more about this. Do you have a link for exactly what equipment you use? Any tips or good resources?

Thanks.

J

'The Commish said:
'SofaKings said:
'The Commish said:
'SofaKings said:
'The Commish said:
Thanks dn.I'd like to learn more about this. Do you have a link for exactly what equipment you use? Any tips or good resources?

Thanks.

J
I started making sausage a few years ago. dnurk is right, you need the right equipment. The Kitchen aid attachment will not cut it.Here's a great link with recipes and instruction.

Regarding the sausage making questions:

This is the stuffer I have from Cabelas: works great and cranks out the product

Big Ole' Stuffer

They are pricy but last forever and are a must if you plan to do any volume. If you just want to test the water, you can get one like this for much less $

Small Stuffer

I haven't been able to justify a dedicated meat grinder yet so I'm still using this. Works well, but I just have to throw it in the freezer ever 30 minutes to keep the blade/gear from getting too hot

KA Grinder attachment

Finally, here is the company I buy all of my seasonings and casings from. Great company, great product:

LEM

'Joe Bryant said:
'TheFanatic said:
Yesterday I wanted to do something with a bunch of big Bell Peppers I needed to pick so I googled smoked stuffed bell peppers. I got plenty of ideas from those links but decided to do my own thing as long as I stuck to the basic ideas. It seems a bell roasts best on indirect heat over 325 for about 45 minutes to an hour. These came out really good so here's what I did.

I split 6 bells in half like these here. But I didn't follow that recipe. In olive oil I sauteed an onion and three cloves of garlic. With the back of a spoon I spread a tablespoon of cream cheese in the bottom of each half (thinking about cream cheese stuffed poppers). I put the sauteed onion garlic mix over the cream cheese. Each half then got two very sweet cherry tomatoes also halved (cut sides up), pressed into the garlic/onion/cream cheese. I topped the tomatoes with sliced pepperoni and the pepperoni with a mozzarella, romano blend. I roasted them until the peppers were soft and the cheese melted and browning. B i g h i t.
Sounds good. I may have to give this a try.
Tasted like smokey pizza. I used them as a side, but they'd work as appetizers or possibly a main course. They took up a bit of space so I rotated them every 15 minutes to cook them evenly and used a strip of tin foil as a heat shield for those closest to the coals.
I've got a couple stuffed veggie recipes I need to do for the site. Stuffed and smoked tomatoes and stuffed peppers. I think your stuffed peppers are better than mine from what I remember and reading this. I might have to use this as a basis for my next post on the website...
They would have been better with more tomato. They flattened out a bit, so instead of sticking rigidly to two halved cherries per pepper half, just fill that half nice and tight with a little lip for the pepperoni and cheese topping to sink into rather than all over the outside. I would not use a bland store bought slicer or roma tomato, but Comparis from the store or a tasty homegrown 'other' would suffice. I just have over 100 cherry tomato plants producing atm. :)
I did this yesterday. I used yellow peppers and cherry maters sliced into quarters. I put cream cheese along the bottom, filled with maters, then five slices of pepperoni or two slices of sweet coppa then I put monterjack cheese or muenster on top. With the pepperoni I wanted to get away from mozzarella as it seemed too "pizza-ish." I smoked them for 50 minutes with sassafras and then put the cheese on top for the last 10. They were outfreakin standing. Tonight I'm going to grill some slices of pear to soften them up, then put them on a slice of prosciutto with one of three different cheeses (feta, blue, and smoked gouda), wrap the prosciutto around it and stab with a skewer. I'm going to do a quick sear on some, and indirect some others to see what is the best combo. I realize it's a little fru-fru, but man can't live by brisket alone...
Dude. Foul for using "sassafras" and "mater" in the same post. In fact, using "mater" alone is enough for a foul... ;) J
A) I was doing this at my inlaw's. My only other option for smoke wood was picking up a saw and trimming of of his pears.B) Hey, I love me some maters. That and I have a 3 year old that really digs Cars the movie. Too much Mater on the brain.

Using a Weber kettle for smoking. One issue is that it is typically one item only each session. Know this may be verboten in these parts, but wondering if anyone has done pulled pork (or other items) over the grill for a couple of hours to get the smoky goodness, then transferred to gas grill/oven at low heat to finish, allowing additional items to be done?

Long term, I know the solution is a bigger grill, but looking at short term for now...

TIA

Using a Weber kettle for smoking. One issue is that it is typically one item only each session. Know this may be verboten in these parts, but wondering if anyone has done pulled pork (or other items) over the grill for a couple of hours to get the smoky goodness, then transferred to gas grill/oven at low heat to finish, allowing additional items to be done?Long term, I know the solution is a bigger grill, but looking at short term for now...TIA
Never.I smoke pork butts on my Weber all the time. Very, very, simple. Set up a water pan on one side of the grill. Load up the other side with coals/wood chunks.I usually pull my butts ( :excited: ) at 190 to wrap in foil, a towel and into a cooler. After you pull it, you can always add more fuel to cook whatever it is you need. You have at least an hour while the pork butt rests. :shrug:

Using a Weber kettle for smoking. One issue is that it is typically one item only each session. Know this may be verboten in these parts, but wondering if anyone has done pulled pork (or other items) over the grill for a couple of hours to get the smoky goodness, then transferred to gas grill/oven at low heat to finish, allowing additional items to be done?Long term, I know the solution is a bigger grill, but looking at short term for now...TIA
Never.I smoke pork butts on my Weber all the time. Very, very, simple. Set up a water pan on one side of the grill. Load up the other side with coals/wood chunks.I usually pull my butts ( :excited: ) at 190 to wrap in foil, a towel and into a cooler. After you pull it, you can always add more fuel to cook whatever it is you need. You have at least an hour while the pork butt rests. :shrug:
Agreed if you are just grilling burgers/dogs/etc...but I am thinking of doing more smoking (ribs/turkey breast/etc)

Using a Weber kettle for smoking. One issue is that it is typically one item only each session. Know this may be verboten in these parts, but wondering if anyone has done pulled pork (or other items) over the grill for a couple of hours to get the smoky goodness, then transferred to gas grill/oven at low heat to finish, allowing additional items to be done?

Long term, I know the solution is a bigger grill, but looking at short term for now...

TIA
Never.I smoke pork butts on my Weber all the time. Very, very, simple. Set up a water pan on one side of the grill. Load up the other side with coals/wood chunks.

I usually pull my butts ( :excited: ) at 190 to wrap in foil, a towel and into a cooler. After you pull it, you can always add more fuel to cook whatever it is you need. You have at least an hour while the pork butt rests. :shrug:
Agreed if you are just grilling burgers/dogs/etc...but I am thinking of doing more smoking (ribs/turkey breast/etc)
Watch some videos by these guys. You can smoke just about anything you want on a Weber.

Then you need a bigger grill buddy. Just do it. ;)

FINALLY got my 55 gallon drum smoker finished.

Smoker

All I need to add is a Patriots magnet, and a beer bottle opener. Seasoning will be Tuesday with some sacrificial ribs for dinner.
Nice work! Gas?
Thanks!

It's strictly a charcoal smoker. Ribs are thawing now and will rub and set in fridge overnight tonight.
That is awesome. :thumbup: Where did you score that sweet lid?
What's that pipe with the ball valve on the side?
Big John and Patriot John, I know some of the BBQ boards have the 800 page thread on how to make the drum smokers. Is there a concise version out there? I know lots of people love them.J
I tried perusing the 500+ page thread on the BBQ Brethren site, but couldn't find anything. Here are 3 links that may help in the meantime.....the last one is the motherload:

Smoker 1

Smoker 2

Mondo thread

If I find something else soon I will post it. Did 2 racks of ribs after seasoning the new drum this morning. Came out very good considering it was getting broken in. Smoker held temps very nicely.

Anyone ever have Jerk Steak? Everyone's at least heard of jerk chicken or pork, but I'd never heard of jerk steak. I love jerk flavors. Fiery hot, but not so much so that the flavor of the food is completely obliterated. It's the perfect combination of heat and flavor in my opinion. I love jerk seasoning and I love steak. Seems like a match made in heaven, and well, it is. I've had it four times in six weeks. I documented the process twice here.

Anyone ever have Jerk Steak? Everyone's at least heard of jerk chicken or pork, but I'd never heard of jerk steak. I love jerk flavors. Fiery hot, but not so much so that the flavor of the food is completely obliterated. It's the perfect combination of heat and flavor in my opinion. I love jerk seasoning and I love steak. Seems like a match made in heaven, and well, it is. I've had it four times in six weeks. I documented the process twice here.
One of the best steaks I have EVER had was a jerk steak at a place in Jamaica. It was absolute perfection :moneybag: Spicy, sweet, just the right amount of heat :wub:

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/2227

One of the best steaks I have EVER had was a jerk steak at a place in Jamaica. It was absolute perfection :moneybag: Spicy, sweet, just the right amount of heat :wub:
:goodposting: during recent trip to St. John I rediscovered jerk/Carribean steak. Since the meat quality wasn't the best, I did them in strips. Phenomenal.

posted before, but I'll reiterate: St. John Spiceis :moneybag:

the Cruz Bay Rub = :moneybag: :moneybag:

Has anybody ever used "Danish" spareribs? They're packed in 10 lb packages and are on sale for $1.49/lb. They're packaged by a company called 'Mega-something'.

This made me smile. I feel like I have contributed. You skipped the onion and garlic and definitely stuffed them more than I did. Good job.I did two (four halves) yesterday because I keep getting requests from my kid of all people. This time packed taco meat into the cream cheese and topped the tomatoes with cheddar and chopped jalepeno. Mexican smoked stuffed bells instead of italian.

eta garnished with cilantro and served w/a huge carnitas tostada heavy on the guac was a nice summer meal.

Last edited by a moderator:
This made me smile. I feel like I have contributed. You skipped the onion and garlic and definitely stuffed them more than I did. Good job.I did two (four halves) yesterday because I keep getting requests from my kid of all people. This time packed taco meat into the cream cheese and topped the tomatoes with cheddar and chopped jalepeno. Mexican smoked stuffed bells instead of italian.

eta garnished with cilantro and served w/a huge carnitas tostada heavy on the guac was a nice summer meal.
I was going to do the garlic, but was pressed for time. One of the few recipes where garlic is not in it on my site. They were a huge hit...

Not really seeing the point of these. I get fine grill marks already.
Much more than grill marks.
talk to me goose
Yeah, I'm not really seeing it either. I mean I prefer cast iron to the metal of say my weber, but I make mean grill marks on the weber. And the whole grease thing seems a little disingenuous as the grease falls down into the coals and does the same thing as the grease tray.

Smoking wings on the new drum smoker. When I did my ribs a few weeks back I put about 1/2 chimney of coals and had no problem with temps. Today, I only put about 20-25 briquettes in lit and cant get the drum above 250 with all 4 vents open. Its holding steady, so I opted to let them go low and slow and finish on the grill. Next time I will know to consistently put more fuel in for future smokes, as the amount I put in is what I usually used on the WSM18. Drum is a different animal. Live and learn.

Addendum: Temps are now up to 300. Guess I had to let the fuel get going for a bit to get to temp. Another hour then to the grill!

Lots o grilling this weekend. Steaks on Fri night, burgers Sat for lunch, wings Sat night. Had some chops set out for today, but it looks like rain and I don't feel like grilling in the garage. Will grill them tomorrow night.

Ok in the market for a new grill. i grill on occasion but would probably get more into it if I had a newer grill. Family of 4, we don't entertain a lot, would I notice any difference between these 2?

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-4511001-Spirit-Natural-Grill/dp/B001H1HOR8/ref=sr_1_1?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1309261896&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-6611001-Genesis-Natural-Grill/dp/B0045UBB0Y/ref=sr_1_3?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1309261896&sr=1-3

And if I get the 330 is it worth the extra 100 for the burner?

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-6631001-Genesis-Natural-Grill/dp/B0045UBB2M/ref=sr_1_2?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1309261896&sr=1-2

TIA

ETA: No I'm not getting charcoal so save any ifighting/snobbery ;)

Ok in the market for a new grill. i grill on occasion but would probably get more into it if I had a newer grill. Family of 4, we don't entertain a lot, would I notice any difference between these 2?http://www.amazon.com/Weber-4511001-Spirit-Natural-Grill/dp/B001H1HOR8/ref=sr_1_1?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1309261896&sr=1-1http://www.amazon.com/Weber-6611001-Genesis-Natural-Grill/dp/B0045UBB0Y/ref=sr_1_3?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1309261896&sr=1-3And if I get the 330 is it worth the extra 100 for the burner?http://www.amazon.com/Weber-6631001-Genesis-Natural-Grill/dp/B0045UBB2M/ref=sr_1_2?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1309261896&sr=1-2TIAETA: No I'm not getting charcoal so save any ifighting/snobbery ;)
The first is only a two burner grill and won't get as hot as the second (26000 BTU's compared to 38000). The first is a little smaller. The second has three burners but if the burners are front to back, it makes doing anything other than hot and fast hard. If the burners are side by side by side (and I don't know), then you can do just about anything you can do on a charcoal grill on it. Turn on the burner on one side, take the grill grate off covering it, throw a foil ball full of onsoaked wood chips right on the burner, put the meat on the other side of the grill - instant smoker. But if they are front to back, and my FiL's old one is like this, can't smoke without a rotisserie to keep the meat elevated and away from the hot burner.

Lots o grilling this weekend. Steaks on Fri night, burgers Sat for lunch, wings Sat night. Had some chops set out for today, but it looks like rain and I don't feel like grilling in the garage. Will grill them tomorrow night.
I grilled both days. Well, I grilled on Sat and went to dad's on sunday. Tried a couple new rib recipes. One was really good the other needs some work. Testing the good one tomorrow on my taste testers here at work to see if it's blog worthy. Sunday we did beef tenderloin. Very basic and very excellent.

I've got my first big cook (big for me anyway) coming up in a couple weeks, I'll be feeding ~30.

Is there a rule of thumb for pounds of raw meat per person?

I was thinking of doing an 8 lb butt, an 8 lb brisket, and 3-4 racks of ribs on the smoker. I'll probably also have some burgers/brats/dogs on the gas grill.

Next question, think I can get the bolded on a WSM 18.5"? I've got a rib rack and can get another. If need be, I could add a 3rd grate under the top grate with a simple mod.

I've got my first big cook (big for me anyway) coming up in a couple weeks, I'll be feeding ~30.

I was thinking of doing an 8 lb butt, an 8 lb brisket, and 3-4 racks of ribs on the smoker. I'll probably also have some burgers/brats/dogs on the gas grill.

Next question, think I can get the bolded on a WSM 18.5"? I've got a rib rack and can get another. If need be, I could add a 3rd grate under the top grate with a simple mod.
That sounds like plenty of food, as to whether all that will fit, I have no idea....

Is it possible to cook brisket with either a propane or a charcoal grill? Or do you need a smoker?

I know that it's technically "possible," but I'm wondering if it will come out any good. Any tips, advice, recipes, directions, etc. would be very appreciated. TIA.

IMO I'd leave the ribs off for a single WSM cook for 30 people. you're talking about 1 bone per person at that point. It's not really worth it IMO. You'll need to tie up a full level of your smoker. You should be able to fit a brisket and shoulder on the lower level but imo you will come up a little short on food. For 30 people you should have at least 15lbs of cooked meat. I would personally cook two 8lb Butts and and the brisket. JMHO of course.

Users who are viewing this thread