What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2011 Grilling and BBQ thread*** (1 Viewer)

Trying this method tonight:http://www.bbqbug.com/forums/bbq-contests/894-award-winning-competition-chicken.htmlWill report on the results, but looks and sounds tasty!ETA: I use chicken thighs regularly on the grill, so if anyone has preparations they typically use, I'd love the suggestions.
Came out pretty tasty, although the guy was spot on about the removal of the chicken fat from the skins being a pain in the ###. As I am preparing for home use only, I think that step will be skipped. Plus, they shrunk more than in his pictures in the cooking process. But, I will say they were tasty as well (usually remove the skins completely) Used an all-purpose rub I found in lieu of what was used in the original prep.

Is there such a thing as too hot to grill? It is going to be mid 90s with heat index of 110+ here all weekend (damn humidity SUCKS). Better get some chicken out or something I don't have to stand over the grill and watch the whole time. :banned:

Is there such a thing as too hot to grill? It is going to be mid 90s with heat index of 110+ here all weekend (damn humidity SUCKS). Better get some chicken out or something I don't have to stand over the grill and watch the whole time. :banned:
I cooked two strips the other night. 7 minutes total on the weber and they were medium. damn hot out there...

Beer can cornish hen, some doctored beans, slaw, and potato chips. (To scoop the beans)

:thumbup: :banned: :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Beer can cornish hen, some doctored beans, slaw, and potato chips. (To scoop the beans) :thumbup: :banned: :thumbup:
Will a cornish hen go over a regular beer can?J
Yessir. Perfectly. No need to tripod at all. Just give it a spin every 15 minutes. Glorious.http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.132102486803899.28259.100000124465351#!/photo.php?fbid=135765956437552&set=a.132102486803899.28259.100000124465351&type=1&theaterhttp://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.132102486803899.28259.100000124465351#!/photo.php?fbid=135765959770885&set=a.132102486803899.28259.100000124465351&type=1&theater

Really!?A lot of people seem to hold this opinion, but for me I'd much rather cook outside then add heat inside the house. This way I'm the only one sweating and their are a lot of things worse then a bit of sweat.Quit complaining and grab a beer. :banned:

Really!?A lot of people seem to hold this opinion, but for me I'd much rather cook outside then add heat inside the house. This way I'm the only one sweating and their are a lot of things worse then a bit of sweat.Quit complaining and grab a beer. :banned:
Agreed. It'll be 105 here today. No way I'm firing up the indoor kitchen with the ACs already working overtime. I even set the crock pot outside in this weather. For smoking or slow cooking the outside heat saves fuel and helps me maintain consistent temps.

I did my first whole packer brisket this weekend. It weighed in at 12.5 lbs. I cooked it a tad too long, as it was a little dryer than I would have liked.

In some parts I was getting a temp of 185-188ish (end half of the flat; opposite of point), then around the point I was getting 199-200. Because of the 185ish I left it on probably an hour too long. It had tremendous flavor though, and a great bark. For my first whole packer, I'd say it was a definite success.

Here she is sliced up.
Awesome. Looks great. :thumbup: For a first try, I'd say that's outstanding. Main thing is to learn and try things next time. Part of the reason some of these guys are so great at cooking brisket is they've cooked a zillion. You get a feel for the timing as to how it relates to the meat / heat / wind / etc. Great job.

J
Thanks! The rub, wet injection, and spritz I used are listed below:

Rub (some amounts are a little odd since I had to increase the original amount of rub x3):

6 beef bouillon cubes, crushed

3 tbsp brown sugar

1.5 tbsp black pepper

1.5 tbsp paprika

3/4 tbsp kosher salt

3/4 tbsp onion powder

1.5 tsp cumin

1.5 tsp dried oregano

3/4 tsp garlic powder

Wet Injection:

1/2 C Worcestershire Sauce

1/2 C BBQ Sauce

1 C Dr. Pepper

Spritzed about every 45 min over the last 4-5 hrs:

Dr. Pepper and Worcestshire (about 50/50)

The rub had a little kick to it, and I loved the flavor the beef bouillon added. I get the feel more experienced BBQ'ers might scoff at the beef bouillon, but it worked!
I tried buillon before and it really seemed to add a LOT of saltiness to the meat although I used it in the injection and not the rub. I have since started using beef broth instead. I'm glad it worked out for you and I may have to try it as part of the rub.

We're having a baptism in a couple weeks and I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations on how to grill for larger groups of people. Usually I'm cooking for 2, sometimes four or six, but this is going to be more like 30-40 people.

Attempting my own version of a grilled potato salad with grilled shallots,bacon and a horseradish cream dressing with a bit of dill

Throwing on a couple of sirloins later

Used these 3 recipes last night....pretty good :thumbup:

Tenderloin

Turn grill as hot as it can go – close lid until it heats up all the way

When it’s heated, open the grill and place the tenderloin on the grill

Turn every couple of minutes until it just hits 155 in the thickest part

Take it off the grill, cover for 5 minutes or so. You should have a nice crust, and pink, tender-as-hell meat.

Pork Chops

Place the pork chops on your grilling surface, close the grill and cook each side for three minutes on high.

Reduce the heat level to low, by either adjusting the propane or raising the grill rack.

Use the meat thermometer to carefully monitor the temperature; you are waiting at this point for the internal temperature to exceed 145 degrees F. When inserting the meat thermometer make sure it is in the middle of the cut and when removing it make sure you use a glove as the probe can get quite hot

Filet

Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.

Sear the steak first on both sides (1 minute each)

Lower the heat so as not to dry it out.

Rare is 130ºF, medium is 145ºF and well done is 160ºF.

Have the steak sit for five minutes after grilling to allow the juices to be retained within the meat.

Approx 5 minutes/side

Sunday supper:

A whole ham the size of a small pig. (For $8 no less :thumbup: ) Glazed with honey, brown sugar and Coke classic.

Corn on the cob

Fresh salad

Fresh Italian bread

:banned:

did my 2nd batch of ribs just smoking em the full 6 hours instead of the 3-2-1 method I used to do. I gotta admit, I like em this way better. Still tender and juicy, but not quite as fall-off-the-bone as when you foil em.

'SteevieG said:
I did my first whole packer brisket this weekend. It weighed in at 12.5 lbs. I cooked it a tad too long, as it was a little dryer than I would have liked.

In some parts I was getting a temp of 185-188ish (end half of the flat; opposite of point), then around the point I was getting 199-200. Because of the 185ish I left it on probably an hour too long. It had tremendous flavor though, and a great bark. For my first whole packer, I'd say it was a definite success.

Here she is sliced up.
Awesome. Looks great. :thumbup: For a first try, I'd say that's outstanding. Main thing is to learn and try things next time. Part of the reason some of these guys are so great at cooking brisket is they've cooked a zillion. You get a feel for the timing as to how it relates to the meat / heat / wind / etc. Great job.

J
Thanks! The rub, wet injection, and spritz I used are listed below:

Rub (some amounts are a little odd since I had to increase the original amount of rub x3):

6 beef bouillon cubes, crushed

3 tbsp brown sugar

1.5 tbsp black pepper

1.5 tbsp paprika

3/4 tbsp kosher salt

3/4 tbsp onion powder

1.5 tsp cumin

1.5 tsp dried oregano

3/4 tsp garlic powder

Wet Injection:

1/2 C Worcestershire Sauce

1/2 C BBQ Sauce

1 C Dr. Pepper

Spritzed about every 45 min over the last 4-5 hrs:

Dr. Pepper and Worcestshire (about 50/50)

The rub had a little kick to it, and I loved the flavor the beef bouillon added. I get the feel more experienced BBQ'ers might scoff at the beef bouillon, but it worked!
I tried buillon before and it really seemed to add a LOT of saltiness to the meat although I used it in the injection and not the rub. I have since started using beef broth instead. I'm glad it worked out for you and I may have to try it as part of the rub.
It did not have an overpowering salty taste, I think there were enough other ingredients in there to take away the saltiness. It did have a bit of a kick to it, however, which I didn't really expect.

'bostonfred said:
We're having a baptism in a couple weeks and I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations on how to grill for larger groups of people. Usually I'm cooking for 2, sometimes four or six, but this is going to be more like 30-40 people.
I cooked for ~35 this past weekend. I had 2 5lb chickens and an 9-10lb butt on the lower rack of my smoker, then several racks of ribs on the upper grate. I did a quick modification and added an extra grate 4" under the top grate, which held a big pan of beans.Then on the gas grill I cooked up some burgers and dogs while the butt rested.I had 2 people inside pulling pork and carving the chickens while the ribs, burgers, and dogs finished up.It was a smooth process, the key is being organized with all your cutting boards, aluminum pans to hold food, ladels, tongs, knowing where all the food will go, etc...I went with ~ 1 lb of raw meat per person (not including burgers/dogs), and there was plenty of food, but not a ton of leftovers. The burgers and dogs were kind of a safety net on the food supply. Plus everyone brought appetizers and sides.

With all the pro recipes and tips being shared here I feel a bit sheepish posting this but oh well.....I grilled a Vidalia Onion over this past weekend. It doesn't get any easier than this.- Cut the onion up into "chips" (just small bite-sized thin chunks)- Melt 1/2 stick of butter (or more)- Use tin foil to create a small foil-bowl (or use a foil platter of some sort) and place all onion chips in it- Drizzle all onion pieces with butter- Salt and pepper very liberally- Grill for 3-5 minutes with a piece of foil over the top - then flip them all around in the butter and re-salt/pepper, grill without the foil on top for another 3-5 minutes.These things taste like candy. Perfect for eating as an appetizer or for using on burgers/brats.
:thumbup: Guy, NEVER hesitate to share something like this. Some guys here get to grill more than others or have been cooking longer than others but there are no "pros" here. This thread is about sharing and grilling and BBQ. Great post.J
:goodposting: That's a little different than how I grill my onions usually. Gonna have to give it a try. Thanks for posting!
:goodposting: Next time, add a little garlic powder and fresh mushrooms and prepare to taste heaven.
I use this method to "roast" garlic on the smoker. Then I use the garlic in my baked beans, mashed potatoes etc. I've also used the garlic in my campfire potatoes that are pretty much like the ones discussed above. Cube up the potatoes, S&P, throw in the garlic and some bacon (no butter necessary). Then throw the packet of tin-foiled goodness on the coals. :moneybag:

'Chaos Commish said:
'griff321 said:
Agreed. It'll be 105 here today. No way I'm firing up the indoor kitchen with the ACs already working overtime. I even set the crock pot outside in this weather. For smoking or slow cooking the outside heat saves fuel and helps me maintain consistent temps.
I had the crockpot on for 7 hours yesterday - and it got pretty hot in that corner of the kitchen. Every time I passed by/close I could feel the heat in the air...

Added a "mexican corn on the cob" to the menu. I did it on the grill, but am going to try on the smoker next time. Soak the corn for a couple hours. Throw on the grill. About half way through, peel back the husks and rotate. Near the end of cooking, take a cheese sauce made with Mexican cheese, a little red pepper, cumin and chili powder and ladled the sauce over the corn. Let cook 1-2 more minutes then serve.

I've been grilling oysters for the past 7 weekends. Absolute home run! I was inspired after watching an episode of "Best things I ever ate". Forget the guy's name but he raved about the grilled oysters from Drago's.

Seemed simple enough replicate. I lightly sauteed 5 minced garlic cloves in a stick of butter and 1/2 tsp dried oregano for about one minute. Added 2 tbs fresh chopped italian parsley to butter. Shucked 2 dozen oysters and placed on the grill. Drizzled the butter onto the oysters then sprinkled grated romano cheese. They cook pretty quickly, about 2-3 minutes. Make sure to have some french bread on hand to soak up the remaining juices in the shells.

I've been grilling oysters for the past 7 weekends. Absolute home run! I was inspired after watching an episode of "Best things I ever ate". Forget the guy's name but he raved about the grilled oysters from Drago's. Seemed simple enough replicate. I lightly sauteed 5 minced garlic cloves in a stick of butter and 1/2 tsp dried oregano for about one minute. Added 2 tbs fresh chopped italian parsley to butter. Shucked 2 dozen oysters and placed on the grill. Drizzled the butter onto the oysters then sprinkled grated romano cheese. They cook pretty quickly, about 2-3 minutes. Make sure to have some french bread on hand to soak up the remaining juices in the shells.
That sounds awesome but too much work to shuck.

I've been grilling oysters for the past 7 weekends. Absolute home run! I was inspired after watching an episode of "Best things I ever ate". Forget the guy's name but he raved about the grilled oysters from Drago's. Seemed simple enough replicate. I lightly sauteed 5 minced garlic cloves in a stick of butter and 1/2 tsp dried oregano for about one minute. Added 2 tbs fresh chopped italian parsley to butter. Shucked 2 dozen oysters and placed on the grill. Drizzled the butter onto the oysters then sprinkled grated romano cheese. They cook pretty quickly, about 2-3 minutes. Make sure to have some french bread on hand to soak up the remaining juices in the shells.
Not really. Oysters are easier to shuck than clams. The key is inserting the knife into the hinge of the oyster. Try it. You will not regret it.

This is on the list to do for the site. LOVE oysters. Any idea as to the temp of the grill? You putting these right over the coals?

Shucking shouldn't seem like work if you are doing it right.

This is on the list to do for the site. LOVE oysters. Any idea as to the temp of the grill? You putting these right over the coals?
Been cooking on a gas grill. I get it pretty hot, burners on full blast, but only have 3 of 5 turned on.

Been cooking on a gas grill. I get it pretty hot, burners on full blast, but only have 3 of 5 turned on.
That's exactly what I was looking for....

Did my first pizza on the grill tonight. The cilantro in the deckside herb garden is thriving so I decided to do a pico de gallo themed pizza with some grilled chicken. Marinated some chicken breasts in lime juice, garlic and cilantro with some standard mexican spices (cumin, chili powder, paprika, cayenne pepper). Grilled them up over the coals while I prepared the other toppings - jalapeno, tomatoes, onions, garlic, cilantro with fresh mozzarella, pepper jack and "chipotle jack".

The dough was store bought from the deli section. Brushed one side with olive oil and flipped it onto the grill where the coals had subsided a bit from the level where I cooked the chicken. Brushed the up side flipped again and put on a little bit of green chili and the toppings including the now cut up chicken, shut the lid.

Turned out great. The dough had that great crisp that you get from a wood fired oven and the flavors were fresh and vibrant.

I do think that if I do it again, I'll do fewer toppings so that I can have more time with the lid closed to melt the cheese just a bit more.

Did my first pizza on the grill tonight. The cilantro in the deckside herb garden is thriving so I decided to do a pico de gallo themed pizza with some grilled chicken. Marinated some chicken breasts in lime juice, garlic and cilantro with some standard mexican spices (cumin, chili powder, paprika, cayenne pepper). Grilled them up over the coals while I prepared the other toppings - jalapeno, tomatoes, onions, garlic, cilantro with fresh mozzarella, pepper jack and "chipotle jack". The dough was store bought from the deli section. Brushed one side with olive oil and flipped it onto the grill where the coals had subsided a bit from the level where I cooked the chicken. Brushed the up side flipped again and put on a little bit of green chili and the toppings including the now cut up chicken, shut the lid. Turned out great. The dough had that great crisp that you get from a wood fired oven and the flavors were fresh and vibrant. I do think that if I do it again, I'll do fewer toppings so that I can have more time with the lid closed to melt the cheese just a bit more.
So if I wanted to try this with homemade dough, I would bake it in the indoors oven, cool it, then crisp/char/flavor it up over low heat coals before loading it up with toppings and letting the cheese melt on indirect heat with the lid closed?

If cooking a couple of butts on the bottom rack of a vertical smoker (WSM), with other meat on the upper rack, can I stick a probe thermometer into the butts and just leave it in there for several hours? I figure that would be much easier than taking the top rack off to get a good temp of the stuff below.
HEll yeah. I'll usually insert a probe into them around 3/4 into the cook and leave it in until done. Don't rely on the probe for accurate temps as you approach finish line though.... double check with 2-3 pokes of an instant read
Cool thanks. Where should I run the wires out of the smoker at? Or should I go wireless?
Random observation - One of the best things you can do for your cooking in my opinion is to wean yourself off remote thermometers / probes. Learn to just know when the stuff is done by what it looks and feels like. Always use an instant read to be sure as you have to put safety first and nobody wants undercooked stuff. But as you get more experience, you'll find benefit to getting off the remote thermometers. At least that was my experience.J
I would agree, but the quickest way to "know" when things are done is to see the temp on the probe that reads the proper temp and seeing how the meat looks and feels (prodding with the tongs or finger). It takes a lot longer to "know" if you aren't norming it against something that is telling you that it's done. If I'm not using a probe, and look at the meat and think, "This is done and ready to go," and take it inside and it's overdone or underdone, then I have to add into my mind, what it shouldn't look like rather than what it should look like.After writing all that, I'm not sure that makes any sense at all... Carry on....

Did my first pizza on the grill tonight. The cilantro in the deckside herb garden is thriving so I decided to do a pico de gallo themed pizza with some grilled chicken. Marinated some chicken breasts in lime juice, garlic and cilantro with some standard mexican spices (cumin, chili powder, paprika, cayenne pepper). Grilled them up over the coals while I prepared the other toppings - jalapeno, tomatoes, onions, garlic, cilantro with fresh mozzarella, pepper jack and "chipotle jack". The dough was store bought from the deli section. Brushed one side with olive oil and flipped it onto the grill where the coals had subsided a bit from the level where I cooked the chicken. Brushed the up side flipped again and put on a little bit of green chili and the toppings including the now cut up chicken, shut the lid. Turned out great. The dough had that great crisp that you get from a wood fired oven and the flavors were fresh and vibrant. I do think that if I do it again, I'll do fewer toppings so that I can have more time with the lid closed to melt the cheese just a bit more.
So if I wanted to try this with homemade dough, I would bake it in the indoors oven, cool it, then crisp/char/flavor it up over low heat coals before loading it up with toppings and letting the cheese melt on indirect heat with the lid closed?
The dough I used was essentially homemade. It was dough, not a prebaked crust. Crisping it initially in the oven would probably be a tad easier but I don't think you're going to get that great wood fired crispiness. I put the rolled/stretched dough on a large wooden cutting board that I prepped with some corn meal (a pizza slip would be ideal). Oiled the top side and when I put it on the grill, I flipped so the oiled side went down first and then oiled the other side. When I flipped again, I had all my ingredients ready to be put on and the lid shut.I also used direct heat but with a thin layer of coals that had already been burning for about 30-45 minutes. Just a thin layer would do the same. Indirect would probably be fine, but I didn't have the surface area as my pizza was fairly large.

The dough I used was essentially homemade. It was dough, not a prebaked crust. Crisping it initially in the oven would probably be a tad easier but I don't think you're going to get that great wood fired crispiness. I put the rolled/stretched dough on a large wooden cutting board that I prepped with some corn meal (a pizza slip would be ideal). Oiled the top side and when I put it on the grill, I flipped so the oiled side went down first and then oiled the other side. When I flipped again, I had all my ingredients ready to be put on and the lid shut.I also used direct heat but with a thin layer of coals that had already been burning for about 30-45 minutes. Just a thin layer would do the same. Indirect would probably be fine, but I didn't have the surface area as my pizza was fairly large.
Gotcha thanks. I love my homemade dough mostly because I have a very cool sour dough starter going, but I don't think the way I have been proofing it (on a pizza pan) to get it exactly the way I like (crispy crunchy bottom airy chewy center) is gonna work on my grill. I see a disaster. Need a drier dough to start with to pull that off, I think. I'm on a mission.

Re: beer can chicken, I always worry about the paint on the can when using a real beer can. Also, they're sometimes a pain to keep upright. So I made my own version at work. Plan to give it a whirl this weekend. GB owning a fabrication place that works a lot in stainless.http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/233/img0213ac.jpg/
Nice. :thumbup:J

Beer can cornish hen, some doctored beans, slaw, and potato chips. (To scoop the beans) :thumbup: :banned: :thumbup:
Will a cornish hen go over a regular beer can?J
Yessir. Perfectly. No need to tripod at all. Just give it a spin every 15 minutes. Glorious.http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.132102486803899.28259.100000124465351#!/photo.php?fbid=135765956437552&set=a.132102486803899.28259.100000124465351&type=1&theaterhttp://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.132102486803899.28259.100000124465351#!/photo.php?fbid=135765959770885&set=a.132102486803899.28259.100000124465351&type=1&theater
Sweet. Thanks.J

Going to have about 30 people over today, grilling some kabobs, corn, beans (from the grillin fools site) and whatever other meat everyone else decides to bring.

ETA: made these beans from the grillinfools site, definite :thumbup: great flavor.

fast cooked some spare ribs yesterday. Just as good as slow cooked.

BRITU dry rub. Hour at about 450 vertical in a rack

Foiled for 1/2 hr, 250ish. Few pats of butter and some Tiger sauce

few minutes each side on high heat.

not sure I will go back to the old way.

Yesterday was my birthday so I took the day off and did some smoking as that's what I like to do on my birthday.

Two fatties to start -

One was pork with jalapenos, serranos, onion and cheddar with some lime juice, rubbed with a hodge podge "mexican" rub (cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne, salt, pepper). Wrapped it in bacon and glazed it with the Chipotle Raspberry sauce that Costco sells towards the end.

The other was ground chicken, stuffed with apples and brie, rubbed with brown sugar and cinnamon and glazed with Maple Syrup. Both were delicious.

Also did about 10 lbs of Pork Shoulder. Nothing unusual there and it turned out very well. I did serve it with Icon's mustard based sauce which was excellent if maybe not as vinegary as I normally like. I also did something new. The other day at a restaurant I had a lamb burger and they served with with some onions that had been prepared in balsamic vinegar. I liked it and thought that the flavor would go even better with pork.

Sauteed up sliced onions in olive oil for a couple minutes, added balsamic vinegar, sugar, salt and red pepper flakes and let it simmer for about 20 minutes. I thought it went great with the pulled pork. Not traditional by any means but very good. Would also work well with tenderloin.

Week 1 of the NFL season will be Wing day :banned: :banned:

Going to do some

Bacon/Cheddar/smoked

Jamican Jerk grilled

Cajun Fried

and Buffalo smoked then fried

Now it just needs to hurry up and get here

Week 1 of the NFL season will be Wing day :banned: :banned: Going to do someBacon/Cheddar/smoked Jamican Jerk grilledCajun Friedand Buffalo smoked then friedNow it just needs to hurry up and get here
I haven't even thought about opening weekend yet, but I think I need to do some epic grilling. And I think jerk wings just made the menu.

Yesterday was my birthday so I took the day off and did some smoking as that's what I like to do on my birthday.Two fatties to start -One was pork with jalapenos, serranos, onion and cheddar with some lime juice, rubbed with a hodge podge "mexican" rub (cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne, salt, pepper). Wrapped it in bacon and glazed it with the Chipotle Raspberry sauce that Costco sells towards the end.The other was ground chicken, stuffed with apples and brie, rubbed with brown sugar and cinnamon and glazed with Maple Syrup. Both were delicious.Also did about 10 lbs of Pork Shoulder. Nothing unusual there and it turned out very well. I did serve it with Icon's mustard based sauce which was excellent if maybe not as vinegary as I normally like. I also did something new. The other day at a restaurant I had a lamb burger and they served with with some onions that had been prepared in balsamic vinegar. I liked it and thought that the flavor would go even better with pork.Sauteed up sliced onions in olive oil for a couple minutes, added balsamic vinegar, sugar, salt and red pepper flakes and let it simmer for about 20 minutes. I thought it went great with the pulled pork. Not traditional by any means but very good. Would also work well with tenderloin.
Sounds killer! My bday was the 9th (yesterday)... happy belated.

Users who are viewing this thread