What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2011 Philadelphia Eagles Thread*** (1 Viewer)

This is a fair criticism. These aren't the kind of negative nelly comments I was referring to.I do happen to disagree though ;) O-line was horrible last year, and it was every bit as big an area of need as the secondary. They spent 2nd and 3rd round picks on that secondary, as well as several late picks on flyer LBs. I don't like all their choices either, but it's not fair to say they ignored the issue (as suggested by some). It's fair to question whether those choices will fix the issue, as you have, but they have NOT ignored it.
I'll give, they haven't "ignored" it, but I just didn't see those guys on the same caliber as the 1st rd corners. I thought there was more depth in OL quality this year vs CB quality. Now, I have been reading that they are comparing Jarrett to Dawkins, but there are some questions on consistency of his tackles.... Looking this year, my thoughts are they are starting Watkins Day 1... CB.. I don't know if they will be ready to start. I can't see letting go of Mikel yet until they get some experience in playing. They are just a bit raw. I think the bitter pill for me is that I think the NYG had a better draft than us by just waiting for value and taking BPA. The only redeeming grace is that after the 1st round, I think DAL screwed themselves. That always makes me happy.

Exciting is not how you win games. Holes are not really holes until FA is over. The draft on a whole wasn't bad. Jimmy Smith would have been nice... but I'm still tired of primadonnas and I am sure the Eagles are.

Watkins is a perfect fit. He is mature, versatile, and considering Mudd is right behind Grimm as the best O-Line coach around, I expect the group as a whole to improve. If the Eagles were explosive last year, how good are they going to be with a much improved OLine?

And as consistent as Mikell has been, it is time to move on.

My only gripe with the Eagles draft method is that they love the last day of the draft. While you can find diamonds, more often than not we just get a bunch of young people cut.

One can only assume that the Eagles wanted to address CB in free agency, which seemed like it was going to happen when the lockout was lifted before day one of the draft. As a result, they did not draft a corner in the first round and focused on OL. They have a number of options in free agency who would be better than a CB with multiple question marks in the first round.

One can only assume that the Eagles wanted to address CB in free agency, which seemed like it was going to happen when the lockout was lifted before day one of the draft. As a result, they did not draft a corner in the first round and focused on OL. They have a number of options in free agency who would be better than a CB with multiple question marks in the first round.
Assuming the current RFAs remain RFAs: Other than Aso, the only UFA that seems any good at all is Ike Taylor...

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming the current RFAs remain RFAs: Other than Aso, the only UFA that seems any good at all is Ike Taylor...
I thought I heard on the radio that Jonathan Joseph (CIN) would be available. Is that inaccurate or do you not consider him any good? Not challenging you, just curious.

'Kree said:
Joseph is a RFA with a 1st/3rd round tender IIRC.
That's correct, although as a 5th year veteran it's still very much up in the air whether he'll be unrestricted once the CBA situation is wrapped up.

'Kree said:
Joseph is a RFA with a 1st/3rd round tender IIRC.
That's correct, although as a 5th year veteran it's still very much up in the air whether he'll be unrestricted once the CBA situation is wrapped up.
Yep. Also, has the NFL annunced the RFA rules? I think it would be a mistake on their part to keep the 2010 rules. The 2009 rules might be a differant story......

'renesauz said:
'JAA said:
Its cool some folks want to defend the picks, but there is no one out here that believes this draft was a slam dunk ... or heck, above average.
TO be fair, I don't see anything wrong with some criticism, or some defending. What's wrong is extreme statements and attitudes.I liked some picks, didn't like others. I think castrating the Eagles for reaching a round in the late third is ridiculous, but it's not at all ridiculous to dislike the pick. Expecting " multiple impact players" is unreasonable and unrealistic, expecting a productive first round pick is not. BUt an O-lineman in the first is rarely going to be sexy. DBs taken in the 2nd and 3rd are rarely sexy. WE knew that was the plan (or we speculated that anyway), so why the dissapointment in an un-sexy draft?
If Watkins works out, and Prince busts ... double order of crow casserole for meHave I brought up where I wanted the Eagles to select a DE out of Notre Dame and instead he went to the NYG? Im sure I can find the post here in the FFA if anyone cares, but that hasnt worked out for us either ...

Why all this talk about CB's like that's going to save the defense?

Our front 4 can't generate ANY pressure, ESPECIALLY up the middle. It would be nice to get Nnambi (sp?) or Joseph but if we can't get to the QB it won't matter. We have 4 DT's who are all the same and had to use Brandon Graham and all of his 250 pounds as a pass rushing DT last year....

Why all this talk about CB's like that's going to save the defense?Our front 4 can't generate ANY pressure, ESPECIALLY up the middle. It would be nice to get Nnambi (sp?) or Joseph but if we can't get to the QB it won't matter. We have 4 DT's who are all the same and had to use Brandon Graham and all of his 250 pounds as a pass rushing DT last year....
You realize we had 39 sacks last year, right? 10th in the league. And 32 of them came from the front four, which was among the best in the NFL.Our defense has problems, but the front four getting to the QB isn't one of them. The problem is we can't cover in the middle with our backers, and don't make enough big plays outside of Asante making some INTs. We NEVER get off the field on 3rd and long.

Why all this talk about CB's like that's going to save the defense?Our front 4 can't generate ANY pressure, ESPECIALLY up the middle. It would be nice to get Nnambi (sp?) or Joseph but if we can't get to the QB it won't matter. We have 4 DT's who are all the same and had to use Brandon Graham and all of his 250 pounds as a pass rushing DT last year....
You realize we had 39 sacks last year, right? 10th in the league. And 32 of them came from the front four, which was among the best in the NFL.Our defense has problems, but the front four getting to the QB isn't one of them. The problem is we can't cover in the middle with our backers, and don't make enough big plays outside of Asante making some INTs. We NEVER get off the field on 3rd and long.
:goodposting: Our D-line is not stellar, but it wasn't exactly a weak spot either. There's also a few very young guys on that line, and even marginal progression from those guys will make our D-line a strength. I was more concerned about the lack of secondary depth (which showed with ineffective dime packages) and marginal/limited LBs (completely unable to cover TEs or limit slot receivers.) OUr short yardage Defense wasn't very good either, but blaming that on the line might be unfair, I think the LB's had more than a little to do with those problems.

Our defense solved the problem of getting off the field by just letting the other team score once they got in the redzone. I would love to get Nnamdi from Oakland, he'll cost an arm and a leg, but if anything, if the Eagles really want a player, they usually get him regardless of who else is bidding, but especially when it appears that the bidders could be Dallas and Washington.

I think the problem was more scheme than players as far as D-line being underproductive last year. How many times did you groan seeing Trent Cole drop back into coverage? With the one gap, shoot up the field kind of scheme that Washburn employs, I will guarantee that the sack total goes up. I know alot of people are down on Graham, but he is a talented kid. The DVOA numbers had him as the second best rookie last year as far as numbers go. Laws will shine under the new system and I think Bunkley will too. Dixon, who was becoming a stud last year, might not be a great fit unfortunately.

Also, there are some options as far as FA goes. Babin shined under Washburn's system and wants to keep playing under him. We might not have to break the bank for him either.

Heres an article that I completely agree with about "steals, reaches, etc" in the draft

If you so desire, you can read instant draft grades written by numerous experts around the NFL world. Many scouts and reporters throw out their opinions immediately following the conclusion of the draft, telling fans what picks they love or hate and which teams made the most of their draft picks.Unfortunately, most of this analysis is entirely worthless. Obviously, it’s impossible to judge any of these players before they take a single NFL snap. If we could, no one would have wasted tens of millions of dollars on guys like JaMarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf.But draft grades also bother me because most of the grades are based on silly determinations that a player is a “steal” or a “reach.” It’s common to read analysis about how a team was lucky that X player dropped to them in the draft, such as Jeremy Maclin to the Eagles in 2009. Conversely, people will argue that teams picked a player too early. This year, Paul Domowitch of the Philadelphia Daily News chided the Eagles for prematurely drafting safety Jaiquawn Jarrett and kicker Alex Henery.What are these assertions based on? These reporters and scouts certainly don’t have some omnipotent knowledge that eludes NFL organizations. Perhaps the teams even know more than these backseat-driving writers. For example, many observers laughed when the Oakland Raiders picked safety Michael Mitchell out of Ohio University, whom few had heard of before, in the second round of the 2009 draft. Then later that day it came out that the Chicago Bears had been targeting Mitchell only two picks later. While teams may be largely in the dark about their opponents’ intentions, they most likely have more information than the so-called “experts.”Furthermore, every draft pick is a “reach.” Read up on auction theory, specifically so-called Dutch auctions, in which the auctioneer starts with an expensive price and slowly lowers it. The first person who is willing to pay for the item gets it. This is analogous to the draft, where the team that values a player the most will pick him the highest. Especially with a lot of bidders (32 teams in the draft), the “winner’s curse” can be substantial — essentially, everyone is overpaying.I don’t mind if you want to talk about who you like, who you don’t, and who you wish the Eagles had drafted. But let’s move on from this draft grade talk about steals and reaches. It’s just misguided.

You misunderstood. Sack numbers are in no way indicative of pressure, that's my main point. How many of those sacks were because we brought extra people?Our front 4 (ESPECIALLY the DT's) will not and do not beat people one on one. They do not apply pressure by themselves. If we have to keep relying on the blitz as much as we have in the past it won't matter what CB's we have.

Our defense solved the problem of getting off the field by just letting the other team score once they got in the redzone.
Exactly. Red zone pass defense was HORRID. And we have a team full of nickel/dime cb's outside of Asante. And it's not gonna get any easier with Jernigan and Hankerson now in the division...

You misunderstood.

Sack numbers are in no way indicative of pressure, that's my main point. How many of those sacks were because we brought extra people?

Our front 4 (ESPECIALLY the DT's) will not and do not beat people one on one. They do not apply pressure by themselves. If we have to keep relying on the blitz as much as we have in the past it won't matter what CB's we have.
Have to disagree here. If you look at some of the great defenses of the time, the blitz is an art that only improves with having great corners. They allow your defense to be able to overload the box because they can play man-on-man. For example, look at what Buddy Ryan did with the 4-6 defense or even what Pittsburgh does with zone blitzing. They can make things happen with blitz'ing on other player because they have decent corners and safeties. If you have shutdown corners, like Asomagh or even Samuel to some extent, that opens up the defense to be able to do these types of things. I for one am HOPING we snag Aso. With him and Samuel, then I will certainly be excited to see some of the defensive pressure schemes we can run and I guarantee you blitzing will definitely be part of it.

Pretty funny reading this thread; I don't get how people feel it necessary to rank a draft immediately after it has happened, these players haven't even touched the field yet and you guys are already ranking how good the Eagles picks were? Just seems silly.

Although I can understand you guys getting tired of Reid and co. continuously drafting undersized LB's (don't get that infatuation), I think you still have to consider this draft a step in the right direction considering the Eagles didn't reach for several Mormon players.

If anyone has missed it there is another thread speculating that Kolb to AZ is a done deal. LHUCKS claims to have a source in the cards that confirms and G-King says that compensation will be a 1st and either a 3rd or 4th. I'm not sure if this is any more certain than the info we've seen in here over the last few weeks.

If it does happen, some questions arise since we didn't draft a QB. Who is our 2nd stringer then? Does Bulger actually sign here rather than AZ (or get traded here as part of the deal after signing)? Is Kafka ready? Hasselbeck willing to be a backup to Vick b/c of ties to Reid from GB days when Hass was drafted and Reid was QB coach? Any other vet FA's available?

Pretty funny reading this thread; I don't get how people feel it necessary to rank a draft immediately after it has happened, these players haven't even touched the field yet and you guys are already ranking how good the Eagles picks were? Just seems silly.
Don't mean to pick on you, but I bristle at this attitude. "Rating a draft" immediately afterward is not prognosticating the results 5 years down the road, it's what the players are now and what value they had compared to others in the draft as it was unfolding and where they were chosen. A team could easily have a "good draft" and have no good players from it 3-5 years down the line and the converse also. Even though there are many examples of Eagles drafting players "too early" and them busting (Daniel Teo-Nesheim in the 3rd, Bryan Smith in the 3rd, Chris Gocong in the 3rd, Matt McCoy in the 2nd, Quinton Caver in the 2nd, Billy McMullen in the 3rd, even LJ Smith in the 2nd when the whole world new Jason Witten was better), the point is you wait for those guys (like Jaiquan Jarrett) and if they bust as a later round pick, not a huge deal. The earlier you pick a guy, the more you are "betting on them" to succeed. Andy just does not have a good track record in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and that is becuase he "over-drafts" people he likes.

Andy just does not have a good track record in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and that is becuase he "over-drafts" people he likes.
Nate AllenLeSean McCoyDeSean JacksonKevin KolbStewart BradleyWinston JusticeMichael LewisSheldon BrownBrian WestbrookDerrick BurgessYeah he has been horrible... :rolleyes:

If anyone has missed it there is another thread speculating that Kolb to AZ is a done deal. LHUCKS claims to have a source in the cards that confirms and G-King says that compensation will be a 1st and either a 3rd or 4th. I'm not sure if this is any more certain than the info we've seen in here over the last few weeks.If it does happen, some questions arise since we didn't draft a QB. Who is our 2nd stringer then? Does Bulger actually sign here rather than AZ (or get traded here as part of the deal after signing)? Is Kafka ready? Hasselbeck willing to be a backup to Vick b/c of ties to Reid from GB days when Hass was drafted and Reid was QB coach? Any other vet FA's available?
would Toler makes sense to add in to the compensation? Seems Arizona is deep at CB now

Andy just does not have a good track record in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and that is becuase he "over-drafts" people he likes.
Nate AllenLeSean McCoyDeSean JacksonKevin KolbStewart BradleyWinston JusticeMichael LewisSheldon BrownBrian WestbrookDerrick BurgessYeah he has been horrible... :rolleyes:
Not ONE of those players were "over drafted". They were all 1st-3rd round talents. Didn't think I was unclear...I guess "does not have a strong track record" was not what I meant to say. Only that the players that bust there are rarely the ones that are "supposed" to go there - like your list shows - only the ones he "has" to have before their time.

How does Allen after a season make the list? For all anyone knows he'll never be anything. Burgess here was nothing at all.Bradley was good in '08....Michael Lewis had an OK run for a couple yearsJustice is average at best so far at RT. I don't really have an issue with him being on that list but he could be off by week 6Kolb? Because of what, trade value?There seems to be a bit of fluff on this list.

Nate AllenLeSean McCoy

DeSean Jackson

Kevin Kolb

Stewart Bradley

Winston Justice

Michael Lewis

Sheldon Brown

Brian Westbrook

Derrick Burgess

Yeah he has been horrible... :rolleyes:
Not ONE of those players were "over drafted". They were all 1st-3rd round talents. Didn't think I was unclear...I guess "does not have a strong track record" was not what I meant to say. Only that the players that bust there are rarely the ones that are "supposed" to go there - like your list shows - only the ones he "has" to have before their time.
Not sure which players you are talking about, but there was only one major reach IMO and that was Bryan Smith in the 3rd in 2008. Name: Chris Gocong

College: Cal Poly

Height: 6-2 Weight: 263

Position: DEhttp://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...raftyear=2006&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASChttp://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...raftyear=2006&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASC Pos2: DT

Class/Draft Year: Sr/2006

Projected Round: 2-3http://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...tyear=2006&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASChttp://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...tyear=2006&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

Name: Daniel Te''o-Nesheim

College: Washington

Height: 6-4 Weight: 263

Position: DEhttp://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...raftyear=2010&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASChttp://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...raftyear=2010&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASC Pos2: OLB

Class/Draft Year: rSr/2010

Projected Round: 4http://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...tyear=2010&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASChttp://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...tyear=2010&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

Name: Victor Abiamiri

College: Notre Dame

Height: 6-4 Weight: 267

Position: DEhttp://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...raftyear=2007&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASChttp://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...raftyear=2007&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASC Pos2:

Class/Draft Year: Sr/2007

Projected Round: 2-3http://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...tyear=2007&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASChttp://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...tyear=2007&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC Stock:

Name: Reggie Brown

College: Georgia Number: 1

Position: WRhttp://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...raftyear=2005&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASChttp://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...raftyear=2005&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASC Pos2:

Class/Draft Year: Sr/2005

Projected Round: 1http://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...tyear=2005&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASChttp://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...tyear=2005&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC Stock:

Name: Tony Hunt

College: Penn State

Height: 6-2 Weight: 233

Position: RBhttp://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...raftyear=2007&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASChttp://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...raftyear=2007&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASC Pos2:

Class/Draft Year: Sr/2007

Projected Round: 2-3http://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...tyear=2007&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASChttp://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...tyear=2007&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

Name: *Ryan Moats

College: Louisiana Tech Number: 20

Height: 5-08 Weight: 210

Position: RBhttp://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...raftyear=2005&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASChttp://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...raftyear=2005&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASC Pos2:

Class/Draft Year: Jr/2005

40 Time: 4.46 40 Low: 40 High:

Projected Round: 3http://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...tyear=2005&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASChttp://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...tyear=2005&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

Name: *Matt Ware

College: UCLA

Height: 6-3 Weight: 209

Position: FShttp://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...raftyear=2004&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASChttp://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...raftyear=2004&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASC Pos2: CB

Class/Draft Year: Jr/2004

Projected Round: 2http://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...tyear=2004&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASChttp://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...tyear=2004&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC Stock:

Name: L.J. Smith

College: Rutgers Number: 85

Height: 6-3 Weight: 258

Position: TEhttp://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...raftyear=2003&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASChttp://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...raftyear=2003&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASC Pos2:

Class/Draft Year: Sr/2003

Projected Round: 3http://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...tyear=2003&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASChttp://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...tyear=2003&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

Name: Billy McMullen

College: Virginia

Height: 6-4 Weight: 210

Position: WRhttp://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...raftyear=2003&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASChttp://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...raftyear=2003&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASC Pos2:

Class/Draft Year: Sr/2003

Projected Round: 3http://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...tyear=2003&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASChttp://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...tyear=2003&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

Name: Matt McCoy

College: San Diego State

Height: 6-0 Weight: 245

Position: OLBhttp://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...raftyear=2005&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASChttp://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...raftyear=2005&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASC Pos2:

Class/Draft Year: Jr/2005

Projected Round: 2-3http://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...tyear=2005&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASChttp://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...tyear=2005&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

nfldraftscout is but one of the sources of info I use, and they are frankly not the best because they always adjust players "up and down" in the days prior to the draft based on info that leaks out about teams plans. In other words, their final rankings on some players are skewed by one or two teams opinions. Matt McCoy was a prime example of that. Aside from that, can we stick to the players I mentioned? Gocong was debateably a 3rd round End or possibly OLB in a 3-4 defense, but on a 4-3 team, drafting him as an OLB in the 3rd was a huge reach. Don't know why you feel compelled to argue about this...

I didn't say every pick he has made in the 2nd and 3rd were reaches, only that when he DOES reach, those are the rounds. He is very good at getting value later in the draft. This year is no exception.

I have to agree with Zadok on his comments regarding Andy's willingness to reach in the 2nd/3rd. While I love Andy and the job he's done, that criticism is a fair one. Matt McCoy wasn't invited to the NFL Combine and because of unreal strength and athleticism, began getting "hot" late and Andy grabbed him. McCoy was considered a late rounder by most scouts until that last two weeks. Even Kolb, which has obviously worked out, was a reach by most measures. Andy took him with a high 2nd round pick when most considered him a 3rd/4th rounder, and even that wasn't gospel as many wondered if his time in an spread offense and average arm translated well to the NFL.

My draft review, for anyone who cares:

1 - Watkins, G/T. Excellent pick to protect the Franchise QB. Will start immediately most likely at Guard but Justice is on notice at RT. It will hurt though if Jimmy Smith and/or Ras-I Dowling become stars...

2 - Jarrett, S. As mentioned, a big reach for the 2nd round; he got 4th-6th round grades from everyone I saw. And he's no shoe-in to displace Kurt Coleman even if Mikell does leave. Even if he does become a starter eventually, it's still a bad pick.

3 - Marsh, CB. A worthwhile gamble on a very raw CB who COULD develop into a big, physical starter if he takes coaching well. Decent pick, but will look too risky if they don't add a starting CB in Free Agency.

4 - Matthews, ILB. Yeah, his name helped him, but a very worthwhile pick for a team with tons of questions at ILB. Is Bradley ever going back to MLB? Is Chaney really the answer? I clapped. :)

4 - Henery, K. Surprising, but an outstanding pick in another position in flux. Akers fate was sealed with this one, and frankly Henery may be just as good or better. I'm not buying the Punter talk.

5 - Lewis, RB. When this pick came up, I was hoping for him or Noel Devine. Looks like Dion had more respect. :) Really excited to see him as a 2nd RB. Will he bump Harrison off the roster or just Buckley?

5 - Vandervelde, G. Meh. Possibly makes the roster but I felt this was too early for a backup O-lineman who probably would have been available in the 7th. Not a great pick.

6 - Kelce, C. Good spot for one of the top Centers in the draft. We could use another pure C to push Jackson.

6 - Rolle, OLB. Love this pick. Excellent college player who profiles well in our style of defense. Some had a 3rd round grade on him. I know, I know, he's small-ish. I bet he lights up the preseason and pushes for starter at WILL.

7 - Lloyd, ILB. Don't like it. Can't see him making the final roster at all. Would have greatly preferred to give Mark Herzlich a chance here.

7 - Havili, FB. Excellent choice to close out the class. Best running/receiving FB in the draft and could start a RB if need be. This is definate insurance for Weaver, but I thinks he makes the team even if Weaver comes back.

Overall, I say we had 6 good picks, 3 bad ones, and 2 so-so. Also worth noting that we turned 10 picks into 11 and picked up an extra 4th next year...in addition to whatever the pending Kolb trade brings us. I guess they plan on signing a vet FA to backup Vick since they didn't draft a QB? Unless they plan on signing a rookie FA like Pat Devlin or Scott Tolzien and rolling with 2 very young guys? All in all, a good draft for the Eagles. Now let's get a CBA and win a damn superbowl.

My draft review, for anyone who cares:1 - Watkins, G/T. Excellent pick to protect the Franchise QB. Will start immediately most likely at Guard but Justice is on notice at RT. It will hurt though if Jimmy Smith and/or Ras-I Dowling become stars...2 - Jarrett, S. As mentioned, a big reach for the 2nd round; he got 4th-6th round grades from everyone I saw. And he's no shoe-in to displace Kurt Coleman even if Mikell does leave. Even if he does become a starter eventually, it's still a bad pick.3 - Marsh, CB. A worthwhile gamble on a very raw CB who COULD develop into a big, physical starter if he takes coaching well. Decent pick, but will look too risky if they don't add a starting CB in Free Agency.4 - Matthews, ILB. Yeah, his name helped him, but a very worthwhile pick for a team with tons of questions at ILB. Is Bradley ever going back to MLB? Is Chaney really the answer? I clapped. :)4 - Henery, K. Surprising, but an outstanding pick in another position in flux. Akers fate was sealed with this one, and frankly Henery may be just as good or better. I'm not buying the Punter talk. 5 - Lewis, RB. When this pick came up, I was hoping for him or Noel Devine. Looks like Dion had more respect. :) Really excited to see him as a 2nd RB. Will he bump Harrison off the roster or just Buckley? 5 - Vandervelde, G. Meh. Possibly makes the roster but I felt this was too early for a backup O-lineman who probably would have been available in the 7th. Not a great pick.6 - Kelce, C. Good spot for one of the top Centers in the draft. We could use another pure C to push Jackson.6 - Rolle, OLB. Love this pick. Excellent college player who profiles well in our style of defense. Some had a 3rd round grade on him. I know, I know, he's small-ish. I bet he lights up the preseason and pushes for starter at WILL.7 - Lloyd, ILB. Don't like it. Can't see him making the final roster at all. Would have greatly preferred to give Mark Herzlich a chance here.7 - Havili, FB. Excellent choice to close out the class. Best running/receiving FB in the draft and could start a RB if need be. This is definate insurance for Weaver, but I thinks he makes the team even if Weaver comes back. Overall, I say we had 6 good picks, 3 bad ones, and 2 so-so. Also worth noting that we turned 10 picks into 11 and picked up an extra 4th next year...in addition to whatever the pending Kolb trade brings us. I guess they plan on signing a vet FA to backup Vick since they didn't draft a QB? Unless they plan on signing a rookie FA like Pat Devlin or Scott Tolzien and rolling with 2 very young guys? All in all, a good draft for the Eagles. Now let's get a CBA and win a damn superbowl.
:goodposting: Well done. I like the analysis.

Don't mean to pick on you, but I bristle at this attitude. "Rating a draft" immediately afterward is not prognosticating the results 5 years down the road, it's what the players are now and what value they had compared to others in the draft as it was unfolding and where they were chosen. A team could easily have a "good draft" and have no good players from it 3-5 years down the line and the converse also. Even though there are many examples of Eagles drafting players "too early" and them busting (Daniel Teo-Nesheim in the 3rd, Bryan Smith in the 3rd, Chris Gocong in the 3rd, Matt McCoy in the 2nd, Quinton Caver in the 2nd, Billy McMullen in the 3rd, even LJ Smith in the 2nd when the whole world new Jason Witten was better), the point is you wait for those guys (like Jaiquan Jarrett) and if they bust as a later round pick, not a huge deal. The earlier you pick a guy, the more you are "betting on them" to succeed. Andy just does not have a good track record in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and that is becuase he "over-drafts" people he likes.
It's just pointless to rate a draft immediately after it occurs because it means absolutely nothing. If all draft prognosticators give a team an A+ draft immediately after it occurs but 5 years down the road all the players bust, what exactly did that immediate A+ draft grade get you in the grand scheme of things? Absolutely nothing. The ONLY draft grades that matter are the ones that occur 3-5+ years after the actual draft occurs.As far as "reaches" are concerned, it's only a reach if no other team wanted that player at the same point of the draft. For example, if the Packers were also willing to take Jarrett in the 2nd than it's not a reach for the Eagles to take him in the 2nd if that is what they rank his value to be. It would be a real shame in this scenario for the Eagles if Jarrett turns out to be a stud and the only reason the Eagles didn't draft him was because there was a consensus between Mel Kiper/McShay/Mayock and other draft "prognosticators" claimed him to be a 4th round prospect.

I have to agree with Zadok on his comments regarding Andy's willingness to reach in the 2nd/3rd. While I love Andy and the job he's done, that criticism is a fair one. Matt McCoy wasn't invited to the NFL Combine and because of unreal strength and athleticism, began getting "hot" late and Andy grabbed him. McCoy was considered a late rounder by most scouts until that last two weeks. Even Kolb, which has obviously worked out, was a reach by most measures. Andy took him with a high 2nd round pick when most considered him a 3rd/4th rounder, and even that wasn't gospel as many wondered if his time in an spread offense and average arm translated well to the NFL.
That's actually the draft I was at and on the floor of RCMH for that one, GB, and I heard that Kolb was the #1 QB on Russ Lande's list and several teams wanted him in Round 2. Kolb wouldn't have made it to Round 3. Can't fault Andy for that one.

My draft review, for anyone who cares:1 - Watkins, G/T. Excellent pick to protect the Franchise QB. Will start immediately most likely at Guard but Justice is on notice at RT. It will hurt though if Jimmy Smith and/or Ras-I Dowling become stars...2 - Jarrett, S. As mentioned, a big reach for the 2nd round; he got 4th-6th round grades from everyone I saw. And he's no shoe-in to displace Kurt Coleman even if Mikell does leave. Even if he does become a starter eventually, it's still a bad pick.3 - Marsh, CB. A worthwhile gamble on a very raw CB who COULD develop into a big, physical starter if he takes coaching well. Decent pick, but will look too risky if they don't add a starting CB in Free Agency.4 - Matthews, ILB. Yeah, his name helped him, but a very worthwhile pick for a team with tons of questions at ILB. Is Bradley ever going back to MLB? Is Chaney really the answer? I clapped. :)4 - Henery, K. Surprising, but an outstanding pick in another position in flux. Akers fate was sealed with this one, and frankly Henery may be just as good or better. I'm not buying the Punter talk. 5 - Lewis, RB. When this pick came up, I was hoping for him or Noel Devine. Looks like Dion had more respect. :) Really excited to see him as a 2nd RB. Will he bump Harrison off the roster or just Buckley? 5 - Vandervelde, G. Meh. Possibly makes the roster but I felt this was too early for a backup O-lineman who probably would have been available in the 7th. Not a great pick.6 - Kelce, C. Good spot for one of the top Centers in the draft. We could use another pure C to push Jackson.6 - Rolle, OLB. Love this pick. Excellent college player who profiles well in our style of defense. Some had a 3rd round grade on him. I know, I know, he's small-ish. I bet he lights up the preseason and pushes for starter at WILL.7 - Lloyd, ILB. Don't like it. Can't see him making the final roster at all. Would have greatly preferred to give Mark Herzlich a chance here.7 - Havili, FB. Excellent choice to close out the class. Best running/receiving FB in the draft and could start a RB if need be. This is definate insurance for Weaver, but I thinks he makes the team even if Weaver comes back. Overall, I say we had 6 good picks, 3 bad ones, and 2 so-so. Also worth noting that we turned 10 picks into 11 and picked up an extra 4th next year...in addition to whatever the pending Kolb trade brings us. I guess they plan on signing a vet FA to backup Vick since they didn't draft a QB? Unless they plan on signing a rookie FA like Pat Devlin or Scott Tolzien and rolling with 2 very young guys? All in all, a good draft for the Eagles. Now let's get a CBA and win a damn superbowl.
:goodposting: Solid draft review. Also keep in mind that Henery could be PK and the punter, saving a roster spot. They might not even have to do that every week (keeping Rocca or another punter on the 53-man roster and deactivating him).

If anyone has missed it there is another thread speculating that Kolb to AZ is a done deal. LHUCKS claims to have a source in the cards that confirms and G-King says that compensation will be a 1st and either a 3rd or 4th. I'm not sure if this is any more certain than the info we've seen in here over the last few weeks.If it does happen, some questions arise since we didn't draft a QB. Who is our 2nd stringer then? Does Bulger actually sign here rather than AZ (or get traded here as part of the deal after signing)? Is Kafka ready? Hasselbeck willing to be a backup to Vick b/c of ties to Reid from GB days when Hass was drafted and Reid was QB coach? Any other vet FA's available?
Just wanted to give you guys a big :thumbsup: for supporting G-King in that crazy "Look what LHUCKS just read" rumor mill.

That's actually the draft I was at and on the floor of RCMH for that one, GB, and I heard that Kolb was the #1 QB on Russ Lande's list and several teams wanted him in Round 2. Kolb wouldn't have made it to Round 3. Can't fault Andy for that one.
Sure I can...because all due respect to Russ Lande, he's far from the best draft analyst out there. I know Scouts Inc, Mayock and ProFootballScout felt quite differently about the guy. Either way, whether we agree or not on Kolb, Andy is certainly willing to grab guys in the 2nd and 3rd round regardless of what the consensus might otherwise say. Zadok's criticism is still warranted.

Sure I can...because all due respect to Russ Lande, he's far from the best draft analyst out there. I know Scouts Inc, Mayock and ProFootballScout felt quite differently about the guy. Either way, whether we agree or not on Kolb, Andy is certainly willing to grab guys in the 2nd and 3rd round regardless of what the consensus might otherwise say. Zadok's criticism is still warranted.
So do you think AR has been more successful with his 2nd/3rds or less?

Some good picks from Reid in 2nd and 3rd: Derrick Burgess (2001), Michael Lewis (2002), Sheldon Brown (2002), Brian Westbrook (2002), LJ Smith (2003), Winston Justice (2006), Kevin Kolb (2007), Stewart Bradley (2007), DeSean Jackson (2008), LeSean McCoy (2009)Actually, his 2nd and 3rd rounds might be better then his first rounds.

I think the Henery kick was a good one... Akers had a great run, but getting a replacement lined up with the uncertainty regarding him is a good move I think. Not to mention, it's the 4th round - not like he took him in the 2nd or something...

More or less successful than what? His other rounds? His NFC East opposition? The league average? Bill Belichick?

More or less successful than what? His other rounds? His NFC East opposition? The league average? Bill Belichick?
What are you grading his reaches against?

:goodposting: Solid draft review. Also keep in mind that Henery could be PK and the punter, saving a roster spot. They might not even have to do that every week (keeping Rocca or another punter on the 53-man roster and deactivating him).
:thanks: It would be awesome for one guy to handle both duties, I just meant that they wouldn't have drafted a Punter there (likely at all).

I agree with both of you - just letting you know Kolb was considered a reach but he really wasn't.

I agree with both of you - just letting you know Kolb was considered a reach but he really wasn't.
I dont remember it that way at all. I remember the Pats trying to trade up for him and the Eagles beat them to the punch.

:thanks: It would be awesome for one guy to handle both duties, I just meant that they wouldn't have drafted a Punter there (likely at all).
FWIW, Andy said in the press conference that Henery would likely not be punting next year.

FWIW, Andy said in the press conference that Henery would likely not be punting next year.
As cheap as we usually make the Eagles out to be, there's virtually no chance that they have 1 player do the kicking and punting for next season. Its just not done anymore.

Article about the draft

I talked to an NFL personnel man this week and asked him to break down the Eagles’ draft. Here are his thoughts on their 11 draft picks;1 – Danny Watkins, G, Baylor -- ``I really like Watkins. He was our top-rated guard. I didn’t know a lot about him before the Senior Bowl. Went back and watched him and he’s really a good player. For a guy who’s only been playing the game for 4 years, his techniques are excellent. I was amazed at how technically sound he was. With his hands, with his feet, position, all that stuff. He looks like a guy who’s been playing football a lot longer than he actually has been. He’s a good athlete. I don’t know if I’d want him outside (at tackle). But inside I really like him. It was a real solid pick. High character guy. We had him as the 30th (best) player on our board. I think it was a good safe pick. He’s going to be a good player. His age is a little bit of a negative, but he’ll play 10 years. Then he’ll go back and be a firefighter.’’The scout had no problem with the Eagles taking Watkins ahead of Wisconsin tackle Gabe Carimi. ``We had Watkins rated 30th on our board. Carimi was right there with him at almost the same value. As long as you don’t expect this kid to play tackle anytime soon, you’re fine. But he can step in immediately and start for you at guard.’’2 – Jaiquawn Jarrett, S, Temple -- ``I loved him. We would have definitely taken him in the third round with our pick. When you look at the whole package, he’s tough, he’s smart. The thing you didn’t see a lot of on tape is pass coverage. But as this whole process went on, the Senior Bowl and that stuff, he got better in that area. I think there’s an upside to the pass coverage. But you know what you’re getting. He’s a real football player. Some people might want to make a big deal of his 40 time (4.62). But the guy plays fast. He covers ground. He knows where to go. It wouldn’t surprise me if he competes for a starting job right away. He’s very mature. He’s played a lot of football. I don’t think anything’s too big for him. He’ll compete. There’s no doubt about that. And he’ll play on (special) teams.’’Asked whether Jarrett, who was regarded as a third- or fourth-round pick by many, was a reach with the 54th pick, the scout said, ``I don’t think so. Not the way it was happening. Not the way the safety board was coming off. Aaron Williams (34th pick, Buffalo) probably will play safety. But after that, in my mind, Jarrett was the next best guy. I mean I’d take him 7 days a week over Rahim Moore (45th pick, Denver).’’3 – Curtis Marsh, CB, Utah State -- ``They obviously like him more than I do. He’s a good athlete with good size and speed. But he’s raw. I mean, the kid was a running back 2 years ago. He’s played something like 16 games at corner. That’s not much. His instincts and awareness aren’t great. Maybe they’ll get better as he becomes more familiar with the position. We had him in that range, but there are some other corners I would’ve taken over him. They traded down before they made this pick and might’ve outsmarted themselves. I think the Saints took (cornerback) Johnny Patrick (of Louisville) a couple of spots in front of them. We had Patrick with a higher grade than Marsh. (Patrick’s) speed is kind of on the edge. He’s a low 4.5 guy playing on the corner. But he’s a very good athlete. They obviously see something in Marsh. They’re betting on his upside. We’ll see.’’4a – Casey Matthews, LB, Oregon -- ``We didn’t have him that high. He’s not his brother. Doesn’t have anywhere near his brother’s natural ability. He’s got a pretty good motor, but there’s not a lot of horses under the hood. They’re going with the bloodline thing here, I guess. Sometimes that counts for something, sometimes it doesn’t.’’4b – Alex Henery, PK, Nebraska -- ``He was one of the better kickers in the draft. I’m sure Bobby liked him.’’ Asked if the fourth round was too high to take a kicker, the scout said, ``Not if you like him. If you like him, you’ve got to go get him. When you draft him in the fourth round, you’re basically believing this is your guy. So they have pretty good conviction about him. The other kicker, (Miami’s Matt) Bosher, went in the sixth round (to Atlanta). And this kid’s probably better. So I don’t have a big problem with where they took him. Like I said, if you like him, you’d better go get him.’’5a – Dion Lewis, RB, Pittsburgh -- ``He’s a good football player. We really liked him. The only problem with him is his height (5-6 ½). But surprisingly, he was a good inside runner at Pitt. Catches it. He’s a very good back. Durability shouldn’t be an issue. He had like 2 games last year where he carried it 40 times. He’s just short. But he’s pretty strong. Has good legs. He’d be a good replacement for LeSean (McCoy) if LeSean were to get hurt. Lewis could fill that role. We had a really good grade on him. In the third round. But we didn’t consider him because we already have a guy like that. But that’s a great fifth-round pickup.’’5b – Julian Vendervelde, G, Iowa -- ``He’s a solid player from a good program. It’s not going to be too big for him. Smart. Solid pick. He’ll compete. He’ll make the team and be a backup guard.’’6a – Jasno Kelce, C, Cincinnati -- ``He’s a good player, he’s just undersized. He’s quick, has an excellent first step. He takes good angles. He played at 280 this year. If he can get himself up into the 290s, he’ll be OK. He’s a very functional center. The only thing he’s lacking right now is size. Has 32 ½-inch arms, which are plenty long enough.’’6b – Brian Rolle, LB, Ohio State -- ``Another good player who just happens to be undersized. I don’t know if they’re going to play him at safety or linebacker. He could be a sub-linebacker. Every time you put the Ohio State tape on, he was making tackles. They might have a hybrid role for him. And he should be a demon on special teams. It’s just the size that might hold him back.’’7a – Greg Lloyd, LB, Connecticut -- ``He’s a tough player, but he tore up his knee late in the ’09 season and wasn’t the same last year. He has limited range. He’s more of a tackle-to-tackle guy than sideline-to-sideline. Physical player. He was a hard guy to grade because you just weren’t sure about the injury.’’7b – Stanley Havili, FB, USC, -- ``We had him on the board as a sixth- or seventh-round player. He and (UConn’s Anthony) Sherman (5th round, Arizona) and (Pitt’s) Henry Hinoski (undrafted) were our top fullbacks. Good West Coast type fullback. Had 100-plus catches in his career. Was a four-year starter at USC which counts for something. He’s not a great blocker, but those West Coast type fullbacks don’t have to be killer dogs. They just have to take the right angles and catch the ball out of the backfield. I think it’s a longshot that (Leonard) Weaver makes it back. So this kid will get a chance to make the team.’’

Article about the draft

I talked to an NFL personnel man this week and asked him to break down the Eagles’ draft. Here are his thoughts on their 11 draft picks;1 – Danny Watkins, G, Baylor -- ``I really like Watkins. He was our top-rated guard. I didn’t know a lot about him before the Senior Bowl. Went back and watched him and he’s really a good player. For a guy who’s only been playing the game for 4 years, his techniques are excellent. I was amazed at how technically sound he was. With his hands, with his feet, position, all that stuff. He looks like a guy who’s been playing football a lot longer than he actually has been. He’s a good athlete. I don’t know if I’d want him outside (at tackle). But inside I really like him. It was a real solid pick. High character guy. We had him as the 30th (best) player on our board. I think it was a good safe pick. He’s going to be a good player. His age is a little bit of a negative, but he’ll play 10 years. Then he’ll go back and be a firefighter.’’The scout had no problem with the Eagles taking Watkins ahead of Wisconsin tackle Gabe Carimi. ``We had Watkins rated 30th on our board. Carimi was right there with him at almost the same value. As long as you don’t expect this kid to play tackle anytime soon, you’re fine. But he can step in immediately and start for you at guard.’’2 – Jaiquawn Jarrett, S, Temple -- ``I loved him. We would have definitely taken him in the third round with our pick. When you look at the whole package, he’s tough, he’s smart. The thing you didn’t see a lot of on tape is pass coverage. But as this whole process went on, the Senior Bowl and that stuff, he got better in that area. I think there’s an upside to the pass coverage. But you know what you’re getting. He’s a real football player. Some people might want to make a big deal of his 40 time (4.62). But the guy plays fast. He covers ground. He knows where to go. It wouldn’t surprise me if he competes for a starting job right away. He’s very mature. He’s played a lot of football. I don’t think anything’s too big for him. He’ll compete. There’s no doubt about that. And he’ll play on (special) teams.’’Asked whether Jarrett, who was regarded as a third- or fourth-round pick by many, was a reach with the 54th pick, the scout said, ``I don’t think so. Not the way it was happening. Not the way the safety board was coming off. Aaron Williams (34th pick, Buffalo) probably will play safety. But after that, in my mind, Jarrett was the next best guy. I mean I’d take him 7 days a week over Rahim Moore (45th pick, Denver).’’3 – Curtis Marsh, CB, Utah State -- ``They obviously like him more than I do. He’s a good athlete with good size and speed. But he’s raw. I mean, the kid was a running back 2 years ago. He’s played something like 16 games at corner. That’s not much. His instincts and awareness aren’t great. Maybe they’ll get better as he becomes more familiar with the position. We had him in that range, but there are some other corners I would’ve taken over him. They traded down before they made this pick and might’ve outsmarted themselves. I think the Saints took (cornerback) Johnny Patrick (of Louisville) a couple of spots in front of them. We had Patrick with a higher grade than Marsh. (Patrick’s) speed is kind of on the edge. He’s a low 4.5 guy playing on the corner. But he’s a very good athlete. They obviously see something in Marsh. They’re betting on his upside. We’ll see.’’4a – Casey Matthews, LB, Oregon -- ``We didn’t have him that high. He’s not his brother. Doesn’t have anywhere near his brother’s natural ability. He’s got a pretty good motor, but there’s not a lot of horses under the hood. They’re going with the bloodline thing here, I guess. Sometimes that counts for something, sometimes it doesn’t.’’4b – Alex Henery, PK, Nebraska -- ``He was one of the better kickers in the draft. I’m sure Bobby liked him.’’ Asked if the fourth round was too high to take a kicker, the scout said, ``Not if you like him. If you like him, you’ve got to go get him. When you draft him in the fourth round, you’re basically believing this is your guy. So they have pretty good conviction about him. The other kicker, (Miami’s Matt) Bosher, went in the sixth round (to Atlanta). And this kid’s probably better. So I don’t have a big problem with where they took him. Like I said, if you like him, you’d better go get him.’’5a – Dion Lewis, RB, Pittsburgh -- ``He’s a good football player. We really liked him. The only problem with him is his height (5-6 ½). But surprisingly, he was a good inside runner at Pitt. Catches it. He’s a very good back. Durability shouldn’t be an issue. He had like 2 games last year where he carried it 40 times. He’s just short. But he’s pretty strong. Has good legs. He’d be a good replacement for LeSean (McCoy) if LeSean were to get hurt. Lewis could fill that role. We had a really good grade on him. In the third round. But we didn’t consider him because we already have a guy like that. But that’s a great fifth-round pickup.’’5b – Julian Vendervelde, G, Iowa -- ``He’s a solid player from a good program. It’s not going to be too big for him. Smart. Solid pick. He’ll compete. He’ll make the team and be a backup guard.’’6a – Jasno Kelce, C, Cincinnati -- ``He’s a good player, he’s just undersized. He’s quick, has an excellent first step. He takes good angles. He played at 280 this year. If he can get himself up into the 290s, he’ll be OK. He’s a very functional center. The only thing he’s lacking right now is size. Has 32 ½-inch arms, which are plenty long enough.’’6b – Brian Rolle, LB, Ohio State -- ``Another good player who just happens to be undersized. I don’t know if they’re going to play him at safety or linebacker. He could be a sub-linebacker. Every time you put the Ohio State tape on, he was making tackles. They might have a hybrid role for him. And he should be a demon on special teams. It’s just the size that might hold him back.’’7a – Greg Lloyd, LB, Connecticut -- ``He’s a tough player, but he tore up his knee late in the ’09 season and wasn’t the same last year. He has limited range. He’s more of a tackle-to-tackle guy than sideline-to-sideline. Physical player. He was a hard guy to grade because you just weren’t sure about the injury.’’7b – Stanley Havili, FB, USC, -- ``We had him on the board as a sixth- or seventh-round player. He and (UConn’s Anthony) Sherman (5th round, Arizona) and (Pitt’s) Henry Hinoski (undrafted) were our top fullbacks. Good West Coast type fullback. Had 100-plus catches in his career. Was a four-year starter at USC which counts for something. He’s not a great blocker, but those West Coast type fullbacks don’t have to be killer dogs. They just have to take the right angles and catch the ball out of the backfield. I think it’s a longshot that (Leonard) Weaver makes it back. So this kid will get a chance to make the team.’’
Fair enough. I don't have to be sold on Watkins but it's good to hear positive info on Jarrett. However, it's hitting on Marsh, Matthews and a couple of the late picks that will make or break this draft.

Users who are viewing this thread