What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2011 Philadelphia Eagles Thread*** (1 Viewer)

^ Pretty much summed up my thoughts on the draft and yet some people like to consider me a WIPer ( points at jeff )

Didnt realize Kelce was a center, thought he was an OT for some reason.

Also seems to be on point about the Eagles reaching in this draft yet not one is directly saying it because of reids rep in the league/ as a coach.

:thumbup: Watkins Lewis Vendervelde Kelce

:confused: Jarrett Henery Havili

:thumbdown: Marsh Matthews Rolle Lloyd

I don't know why everyone feels the need to point out that Casey Matthews 'isn't his brother'. Well no ####, if he was as good as Clay he would have gone top 5, not the fourth round.

Maybe to learn Giants secrets?

First question when he walks through the door...

"Which insults seem to hurt Eli's feelings the most in the lockerroom?"

Umm, is there any truth to the Plaxico rumors?http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/22/eagles-may-be-eager-to-talk-to-plaxico-burress/#comments
It's interesting, if true. Plax is a big, physical receiver that gives us something we don't currently have. Sure Jason Avant and Riley Cooper fit that mode, physically, but they don't have the overall skill sets that Burress does, either. It would be AWESOME as a fan to have that added weapon. But as a fantasy owner, it would make trying to figure out the targets and roles much more difficult to be sure.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Cooper showed quite a bit last year, and he was just a rookie. Burress isn't going to displace MAclin or JAckson in the starting lineup either.

Why would Philly add a 34 y.o. receiver who's been out of the league for 2+ years with 3 good looking young guys and Avant?

ETA: I'm not saying that we should turn away another weapon...just that their isn't a lot of need at WR, and Burress comes with a risk that I can't see justifying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Umm, is there any truth to the Plaxico rumors?http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/22/eagles-may-be-eager-to-talk-to-plaxico-burress/#comments
It's interesting, if true. Plax is a big, physical receiver that gives us something we don't currently have. Sure Jason Avant and Riley Cooper fit that mode, physically, but they don't have the overall skill sets that Burress does, either. It would be AWESOME as a fan to have that added weapon. But as a fantasy owner, it would make trying to figure out the targets and roles much more difficult to be sure.
Completely unneeded, IMO. DJax, Maclin, Avant and hopefully Cooper should be a solid corps. I don't see the Eagles going after a 34 year old WR who will need a season to get back into shape. Even if they are thinking Vick's success could be an indicator, Vick was an elite athlete before his jail time. Buress was good but he was not elite. He would have only declined with age at this point. With that said, there's zero chance the Eagles do this.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Cooper showed quite a bit last year, and he was just a rookie. Burress isn't going to displace MAclin or JAckson in the starting lineup either.

Why would Philly add a 34 y.o. receiver who's been out of the league for 2+ years with 3 good looking young guys and Avant?

ETA: I'm not saying that we should turn away another weapon...just that their isn't a lot of need at WR, and Burress comes with a risk that I can't see justifying.
I don't disagree that this feels like a move that should be low on the totem pole. But let's also acknowledge that IF this were to happen, we can be reasonably sure that it will be a very low cost, low risk contract. But your bolded part confuses me. What risk is there with Burress? As much as I loathe the Giants and generally feel like athletes are given too much credit for their behavior versus the alternative, I genuinely believe Burress got the toughest deal I've ever seen from a star conviction. This is a guy that was never a legal problem, and shot himself accidentally in the leg. Was it stupid? Of course. But I don't think he was malicious, and is certainly a lower character risk than any number of people on our roster currently (including our franchise QB) or any other NFL roster. :shrug:

I don't disagree that this feels like a move that should be low on the totem pole. But let's also acknowledge that IF this were to happen, we can be reasonably sure that it will be a very low cost, low risk contract. But your bolded part confuses me. What risk is there with Burress? As much as I loathe the Giants and generally feel like athletes are given too much credit for their behavior versus the alternative, I genuinely believe Burress got the toughest deal I've ever seen from a star conviction. This is a guy that was never a legal problem, and shot himself accidentally in the leg. Was it stupid? Of course. But I don't think he was malicious, and is certainly a lower character risk than any number of people on our roster currently (including our franchise QB) or any other NFL roster. :shrug:
Didnt Burress have like over a 100 fines from the giants for missing practice and being an overall ######? Not sure I want that guy near my team, specially since we dont need him

'need2know said:
'Jason Wood said:
'renesauz said:

Didnt Burress have like over a 100 fines from the giants for missing practice and being an overall ######? Not sure I want that guy near my team, specially since we dont need him
:goodposting: You know what? I totally forgot about his NY infractions, because they came out after the fact for the most part. But after reading your post, I checked to see if maybe I was misremembering and, sure enough, saw reports that he was fined 45-50 times as a Giant. :eek:

On second thought, the Eagles don't need him under any circumstance.

heard LaConfora say the Eagles have a need and was clueless as to what team he saw last year. Confused on how he ever ended up with that job cause he's a big ball of misinformation and guesses.

I thought Riley Cooper exceeded expectations in his rookie season and should only get better. No reason to stunt his development

^ Pretty much summed up my thoughts on the draft and yet some people like to consider me a WIPer ( points at jeff ) Didnt realize Kelce was a center, thought he was an OT for some reason. Also seems to be on point about the Eagles reaching in this draft yet not one is directly saying it because of reids rep in the league/ as a coach. :thumbup: Watkins Lewis Vendervelde Kelce:confused: Jarrett Henery Havili:thumbdown: Marsh Matthews Rolle Lloyd
How do you not like Rolle as a 6th round pick?

'need2know said:
'Jason Wood said:
'renesauz said:

This is what I remember too. NOt a great team-mate. That's the risk I fear.

Seems to me that people are putting Plax in Philly because they're perceived to need a big target in the Red Zone.

That may be true, but I don't think Plax is the answer if they want to address that missing piece, if it is even a big enough concern to address. I'd rather focus efforts on defensive upgrades - and getting Celek more looks in the end zone.

This plax thing is why I can't take WIP seriously anymore. They are having serious discussions about Plaxico coming here like its a good thing and bringing on callers to back this idiotic idea. I get that he's available and I get that we've discussed having every WR under the sun come here in the past but we have Djax and Maclin. We don't need plax. This is a boneheaded idea that is completely unneeded yet we are going to have every idiot in Philly call in and give the old "you can't teach size" line like they are some freaking analyst.

I can't stand WIP. I used to be able to listen to Anthony and Macnow without having them push idiotic ideas but even they do it now.

This plax thing is why I can't take WIP seriously anymore. They are having serious discussions about Plaxico coming here like its a good thing and bringing on callers to back this idiotic idea. I get that he's available and I get that we've discussed having every WR under the sun come here in the past but we have Djax and Maclin. We don't need plax. This is a boneheaded idea that is completely unneeded yet we are going to have every idiot in Philly call in and give the old "you can't teach size" line like they are some freaking analyst. I can't stand WIP. I used to be able to listen to Anthony and Macnow without having them push idiotic ideas but even they do it now.
Who was the guy years ago on WIP that was the son or son-in-law of the Mets' GM? Was that Jody MacDonald? I remember him from years ago and he was the only one I could really tolerate. Mike Missanelli was OK too. I think he's on 97.5 now, right?

This plax thing is why I can't take WIP seriously anymore. They are having serious discussions about Plaxico coming here like its a good thing and bringing on callers to back this idiotic idea. I get that he's available and I get that we've discussed having every WR under the sun come here in the past but we have Djax and Maclin. We don't need plax. This is a boneheaded idea that is completely unneeded yet we are going to have every idiot in Philly call in and give the old "you can't teach size" line like they are some freaking analyst. I can't stand WIP. I used to be able to listen to Anthony and Macnow without having them push idiotic ideas but even they do it now.
Who was the guy years ago on WIP that was the son or son-in-law of the Mets' GM? Was that Jody MacDonald? I remember him from years ago and he was the only one I could really tolerate. Mike Missanelli was OK too. I think he's on 97.5 now, right?
Yes and yes. Missanelli is what he is. He at least discusses realistic options for the teams and brings on people that have a clue. He still does his contrarian thing though to get people pissed off to call in occasionally. Ray Diddinger is the only true football guy on WIP and he pretty much only does Saturdays.

Jody Mac is on 1050 ESPN New York these days. He's insufferable.

Yes and yes. Missanelli is what he is. He at least discusses realistic options for the teams and brings on people that have a clue. He still does his contrarian thing though to get people pissed off to call in occasionally. Ray Diddinger is the only true football guy on WIP and he pretty much only does Saturdays.
Miss is rapidly becoming the new Howard. He has upped his contrarian schtick to almost unlistenable levels. Diddy is definitely the only guy worth listening to on WIP, though I don't mind Macnow. Unfortunately he is teamed with Gargano-whose ideas I don't actually disagree with-I just hate his voice.

:goodposting: You know what? I totally forgot about his NY infractions, because they came out after the fact for the most part. But after reading your post, I checked to see if maybe I was misremembering and, sure enough, saw reports that he was fined 45-50 times as a Giant. :eek:

Don't write him off based on past behavior. Vick was one of, if not the worst teammate in the NFL. The Philly organization gets a lot of credit for turning him around. Very good chance they can do the same with Plax.

Don't write him off based on past behavior. Vick was one of, if not the worst teammate in the NFL. The Philly organization gets a lot of credit for turning him around. Very good chance they can do the same with Plax.
But what is the need? We have DJax clamoring for a contract. Maclin will need a new one in 1-2 years. If Plax has decent numbers, he'll want to be paid like he was before. But he's 35 now. How much longer does he have? He's not a workout freak like TO. So then we brought in another rehab project for what? I just don't see the upside on this one. Vick had almost no risk because the whole point was to bring him in and generate trade value if he rehabed. Maybe they get a 3rd or 4th rounder for him. They struck gold when he returned to form. We have 2 starting calibur WRs already and a solid 3rd for possession. Plax would be a 4th WR used for goaline situations at best. We have riley Cooper for that who is 10+ years younger with a higher ceiling.

Getting Plax takes a roster spot away from somewhere we may need and adds very little to the offense that we don't already have.

Still could be noise, but now Adam Caplan and Peter King are saying that the Eagles have real interest, and John Clayton says the Birds want to leverage more 4- and 5-WR sets (they threw more than 120 times from those formations last year), and Plax would be a fit in the mold.

:shrug:

Still could be noise, but now Adam Caplan and Peter King are saying that the Eagles have real interest, and John Clayton says the Birds want to leverage more 4- and 5-WR sets (they threw more than 120 times from those formations last year), and Plax would be a fit in the mold. :shrug:
Fine but this better not take away from the RCB (Nnamdi) budget. I would much rather have an elite RCB and our current WRs than a questionmark at RCB + Burress. Dont oversmart yourselves now Eagles.

Still could be noise, but now Adam Caplan and Peter King are saying that the Eagles have real interest, and John Clayton says the Birds want to leverage more 4- and 5-WR sets (they threw more than 120 times from those formations last year), and Plax would be a fit in the mold. :shrug:
Fine but this better not take away from the RCB (Nnamdi) budget. I would much rather have an elite RCB and our current WRs than a questionmark at RCB + Burress. Dont oversmart yourselves now Eagles.
I don't see them as having anything to do with each other frankly. Burress won't command big dollars, and if he somehow does I doubt we would pay since even by the Caplan/King accounts, we're looking at him more as a guy that can step in for Jason Avant/Riley Cooper than anything starting caliber. But I also think we need to accept that only one team is getting Aso, and a LOT are going to want him and throw serious coin his way.

I don't see them as having anything to do with each other frankly. Burress won't command big dollars, and if he somehow does I doubt we would pay since even by the Caplan/King accounts, we're looking at him more as a guy that can step in for Jason Avant/Riley Cooper than anything starting caliber. But I also think we need to accept that only one team is getting Aso, and a LOT are going to want him and throw serious coin his way.
The Nnamdi-apolooza will come down to PHI, DAL and the NYG. They can all make similar arguments:1. Playoff caliber teams2. Competition is here to really showcase how good you are (vs. Nicks, Dez, DeSean)3. Lots of TV coverage / prime time appearancesSo Nnamdi will have to decide which team is most likely to make the SB run. It's also worth pointing out that off-the-field Nnamdi is big in the community, so if the Eagles can make a strong community pitch it will help.

The Nnamdi-apolooza will come down to PHI, DAL and the NYG. They can all make similar arguments:1. Playoff caliber teams2. Competition is here to really showcase how good you are (vs. Nicks, Dez, DeSean)3. Lots of TV coverage / prime time appearancesSo Nnamdi will have to decide which team is most likely to make the SB run. It's also worth pointing out that off-the-field Nnamdi is big in the community, so if the Eagles can make a strong community pitch it will help.
Why NYG? They just drafted a #1 corner. I can see WAS throwing money at them in the East, and a load of other teams as well. I just mean that I think they should take whatever money Burress might command (which from what I am reading, there is a decent amount of interest in him), I would rather they add that to the Nnamdi budget if that'll put us in position to get him.

'scratcher said:
'Jeff Pasquino said:
'Jason Wood said:
'scratcher said:
'Jason Wood said:
Why NYG? They just drafted a #1 corner. I can see WAS throwing money at them in the East, and a load of other teams as well. I just mean that I think they should take whatever money Burress might command (which from what I am reading, there is a decent amount of interest in him), I would rather they add that to the Nnamdi budget if that'll put us in position to get him.
I don't see the Giants looking at him. He'll be 30 yrs old, they aren't going to pay what other teams will toss at him. Webster, Thomas, Ross and Prince mean the Giants have a very good set of CBs. None are "shut down" corners, but there's only a couple of those in the league.

I agree that the Giants wouldn't be on the short list IMHO, they're not known for being bidders in the marquee free agent sweepstakes, and drafted a 1st rounder corner in the draft. I can see PHI, DAL, DET and WAS as front runners. I wouldn't be shocked if the Bucs, or Jets, or Ravens found a way into the fray, as well.

If you like the Phillies, he was incredible. Talked baseball before anyone else did and would go in depth about situations in the game the prior night. No stupid BS, I miss him.

If you like the Phillies, he was incredible. Talked baseball before anyone else did and would go in depth about situations in the game the prior night. No stupid BS, I miss him.
IIRC, he was the guy the station, 950am, was centered around. Afternoon drive and the first real alternative to Eskin so that instantly made Jody Mac joy to listen to. Missanelli was also great at first, but I think he's becoming more Eskin-like as time goes on.

I agree that the Giants wouldn't be on the short list IMHO, they're not known for being bidders in the marquee free agent sweepstakes, and drafted a 1st rounder corner in the draft. I can see PHI, DAL, DET and WAS as front runners. I wouldn't be shocked if the Bucs, or Jets, or Ravens found a way into the fray, as well.
Right, I meant WASH not NYG. Sorry about that.I can't see that as a real consideration so I put it as DAL or PHI as the top two options for Asomogha.

Two players ( A backup QB and starting WR ) show up for a player-organized workout Thursday, June 2?

Who organized it Maclin or Kafka?

That is just embarrassing.

Reid the company man has publicly sided with the owners. Wonder how the players will take this. :football:

Through a club spokesman, Reid joined a group of coaches - a total of eight around the league so far - who have disassociated themselves from the NFL Coaches Association and the legal brief it filed last week in support of the players in their attempt to get the NFL owners' lockout lifted.

The coaches don't have a union. The assistants work, typically, on 2-year contracts. Turnover is extensive. Most of them have been forced to sign contracts that include a clause allowing for huge pay cuts in the event of a lockout; the Eagles, to their credit, are one of the few NFL teams that have yet to withhold anyone's pay.

It is not a shock that their association supports the players; coaches, players, they're all just employees, after all.

But Reid, for whatever reason, felt the need to join a group of his NFL colleagues in walking away from that support.

Through a team spokesman, Reid said, "The Philadelphia Eagles' coaching staff was not aware that a brief was being filed by the NFL Coaches Association in the 8th Circuit Court against the NFL Owners last week. We were surprised by the filing and do not support it in any way."

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20110603_Rich_Hofmann__Reid_is_no_Buddy_to_Eagles_players.html#ixzz1ODa45Z7w

Well if the team is paying him and the coaches still, are you going to rock the boat? I don't blame him.

Chris Cooley then:

"This is one of the top 10 biggest bonehead trades in the history of the NFL."

"It’s been great from the minute he got there. It’s been fantastic. You wouldn’t know he hasn’t been our teammate for the last 10 years. He’s stepped right in as a leader, as a friend ... "

Chris Cooley now:

"It's hard because you have to be honest and say 'this didn't work'. You're not lying when you say this didn't work for us and it's probably not going to continue in the future. So you're on a fine line because you're saying 'this guy's my friend' and in no way shape or form don't want to say he's not a good football player."

I wonder if he still thinks it was a boneheaded trade and which team was the bonehead?

Chris Cooley then:"This is one of the top 10 biggest bonehead trades in the history of the NFL.""It's been great from the minute he got there. It's been fantastic. You wouldn't know he hasn't been our teammate for the last 10 years. He's stepped right in as a leader, as a friend ... "Chris Cooley now:"It's hard because you have to be honest and say 'this didn't work'. You're not lying when you say this didn't work for us and it's probably not going to continue in the future. So you're on a fine line because you're saying 'this guy's my friend' and in no way shape or form don't want to say he's not a good football player."I wonder if he still thinks it was a boneheaded trade and which team was the bonehead?
The only people who thought this was a bad trade were guys who watched McNabb for the past few years with "I-heart-mcnabb" glasses on or guys who really did not pay attention to the guy game in and game out.

Back in February James Urban was promoted to Assistant OC and Doug Pederson was promoted to Quarterbacks coach, filling the vacancy left by Urban. I don't know how I feel about Pederson being the QB coach. I know Pederson had somewhat of a Journeyman's career, but I'm drawing a blank when it comes to assessing his football skills. I don't recall if he demonstrated any consistently good mechanics throughout his career.

How do you folks feel about Doug Pederson and his possible influence on Vick and the other QB's on the Eagles roster this year?

My initial reaction to Pederson being named QB coach was, "huh?????? Can this guy really bring anything to the table for Vick to continue to improve?". I don't know, maybe Pederson has such a wealth of knowledge in West Coast system - to the extent that he will guide Vick in that fashion.

Pederson was awful at every aspect I can remember. Maybe he will be better as do as I say not as I did.

Beats me what they are doing with coaches at this point...

Doug Pederson knows the Green Bay version of the West Coast Offense like the back of his hand. He was initially brought to Philadelphia in 1999 as a placeholder QB for Donovan McNabb in his first year (and Andy Reid's first year). He kept that seat warm until McNabb was ready, and then he was more of an additional WCO coach for McNabb as well as teaching him how to be an NFL QB.

So the bottom line on Pederson is that he is very knowledgeable in both the WCO and in how to conduct yourself as a professional quarterback in the NFL. Can he teach Vick the finer points of throwing the ball? I doubt that, but then again I doubt that he was hired for the reason. Sounds to me like Doug is in Philly to learn how to become an OC and then a head coach.

Reggie Bush?

Really?

I'm sure he can't wait to come to Philly to be a back-up. This off-season is so frustrating.

I for one will be thrilled when the lock-out ends and we sign Nmandi, Bush, Plax and Haynesworth :thumbup:

Too bad most of the rumors don't involve guards, CBs and LBs who don't suck

Reggie Bush?Really?I'm sure he can't wait to come to Philly to be a back-up. This off-season is so frustrating. I for one will be thrilled when the lock-out ends and we sign Nmandi, Bush, Plax and Haynesworth :thumbup: Too bad most of the rumors don't involve guards, CBs and LBs who don't suck
What was the "source" of this?

Users who are viewing this thread