What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2011 Philadelphia Eagles Thread*** (2 Viewers)

Let's also keep in mind that the Eagles now have two of the supposed best line coaches in the NFL in Washburn and Mudd.Having Washburn there should really help Castillo as he transitions over to the Defensive side.Okay, everybody back to piling on Reid.
I like Washburn but how is he going to help Castillo be a DC when (maybe I'm wrong) was never one before either?
He doesn't have to be innovative. Washburn can be innovative. During the presser, Castillo even went so far as to say he only has to worry about the 7 guys behind the DL to make sure they compliment what Washburn does (paraphrasing).Someone has to call the plays. That's the big question/test.

Let's also keep in mind that the Eagles now have two of the supposed best line coaches in the NFL in Washburn and Mudd.Having Washburn there should really help Castillo as he transitions over to the Defensive side.Okay, everybody back to piling on Reid.
I like Washburn but how is he going to help Castillo be a DC when (maybe I'm wrong) was never one before either?
If Washburn helps the DL become a dominant group in getting to the QB, that will make calling defenses that much easier for Castillo. I wasn't tryingto suggest that Washburn would help call plays, but that he would give Castillo a great line to work with.

He doesn't have to be innovative. Washburn can be innovative. During the presser, Castillo even went so far as to say he only has to worry about the 7 guys behind the DL to make sure they compliment what Washburn does (paraphrasing).Someone has to call the plays. That's the big question/test.
It's the calling of the plays, scheme and preparation that worry me the most. Washburn can only do so much with his unit. No matter how much talent we have or how good the DL becomes it's going to come down to how their used, what adjustments are made, what position their in to make a play etc. While I believe Wasburn will help I don't see it being as much as some may believe come game day.

For me its not so much that they're giving Castillo a shot on the defensive side of the ball. But don't they still need a LB coach? Wasn't he a LB? Seems to me that moving him into a vacant position spot and hiring (or at least talking to) 2 coaches that have a rep in the league as being future DC's (if not more) would have been a good move. Moss and Perry are highly thought of as coaches. Yes its still a risk, but one that at least gives the appearance of having a plan. Castillo wants some defensive experience? Fine - make him the LB coach and at least talk to the Green Bay guys who have a defensive pedigree.But don't pee on our leg and tell us its raining by saying you wanted give Juan a shot for a long time now and just needed the right pieces to line up. Great move bringing in Washburn, great move bringing in Mudd...now they should have topped it off by bringing in a rising defensive star with some credibility. Promoting Castillo just reeks of keeping the circle of trust tight and in control.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the calling of the plays, scheme and preparation that worry me the most. Washburn can only do so much with his unit. No matter how much talent we have or how good the DL becomes it's going to come down to how their used, what adjustments are made, what position their in to make a play etc. While I believe Wasburn will help I don't see it being as much as some may believe come game day.
The scheme is all JJ. They will still use the same terminology of the JJ days. As far as preparation, I don't see Castillo as that much of a negative. He understands the game. He's a hard worker. He's not afraid to collaborate and get help from Washburn and other position coaches.I think it really is just calling the plays. That will be the most foreign - going from no input on Offense to having to run the game on Defense. And there's really no one to lean on. If Jauron was still there, it'd help. Maybe they'll bring another guy out of retirement to advise.

Green colored glasses spin. Maybe the timing of this hire is because they knew the Steeler/Packer guys didn't want the job? Technically they can't speak with them until after the game, but we all know there's some communication before hand. Maybe they knew it was all going to be dead ends so they made the move now.

That's the best I got.

Steelers coach: Reid's job on the line

FORT WORTH, Tex. -- News travels fast in the NFL and when one head coach makes a bold, stunning, some may say crazy decision to promote his offensive line coach to defensive coordinator, it ricochets to the game's biggest stage.

In case you woke up thinking that Andy Reid's decision to name Juan Castillo as his new defensive coordinator was a bad dream, it was not. It was as real as the assessment Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians made about the potential fallout from such a decision.

"Andy's job is probably on the line," Arians said Thursday. "But I know this -- he replaced [Castillo] with a good offensive line. Howard Mudd is the absolute best. The quality of the staff is there. Now it's just a matter of game day and how they're going to handle it."

Arians has to gotten know Castillo through coaching channels and is familiar with his legendary work ethic.

"Nobody's going to work harder because Juan is one of the hardest-working coaches that I know," Arians said. "When you block as many things as Juan has blocked you kind of know what's sound on defense and what's not."

Still, there are very legitimate questions about how Castillo will handle some of the chores of the job he is not accustomed to.

"Now matching wits with an offensive coordinator -- the scheme's going to be sound. He knows what's sound," Arians said. "It's having the gut calls, when to blitz, when not to blitz, when to play this, when to play that. That would be the only question I would have."

Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler was rumored to be one of the candidates for the opening.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles...l#ixzz1Cvmc52r6

Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

The in game and in season adjustments is where I think this is likely to hurt us. I think the scheme will be sound, the basics will be there but I don't think the gut feeling / intuition that will help us get better during games and during the season will be there.

As much as I do believe McDermott had to go, I also think he has a lot of potential. It just came a few years too soon for him. He did some good things, like the game plan v. Indy. But, he couldn't fix 3rd down, couldn't fix the red zone D so he had to go.

Hard to believe a coach who has been overlooked for promotion both internally and externally for well over a decade is the teaching genuis we're now being told he is.

I think at this point its pretty evident that Reid didn't want to bring in anyone that couldn't threaten his job or be left high and dry if/ when Andy gets the axe after next season.
I don't agree with this at all. Reid doesn't think that there aren't a slew of other candidates to take over his position should he get canned? How many HC positions were filled this year alone by people outside of the organization? I don't think this was a move to save his job should he fail to be successful next year. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I don't think he's on the hot-seat at all this coming year. His career winning percentage is above 60%, he's 10-9 in the post season, which matches or betters coaches like Ditka, Dungy, Marriuchi and Martz. True, none of these coaches are active HCs, but 10 playoff wins puts him 13th all time and 2nd among active coaches. They guy is doing something right.
I'm sure he does think there's a slew out there that could take his job. My point is that if he hires a guy like say Dennis Allen and he comes here, turns this D around and succeeds while Andy is just being Andy then what are people going to say? Then there's the flip side.....if he gets Allen and Allen looks like crap what are people going to say? Andy is in a lose/ lose by getting a guy like Allen. Castillo is no threat to the "throne" and if bs suceeds then Andy is genius.....if he fails then well, he was just an OL coach who works hard and needs a little time. Hell, much like we did with Vick a majority of Eagle fans will be the ones making excuses for Juan!

I could be wrong and heck, I may be the minority with this way of thinking but why in the HELL do you not wait until after the SB to finish up interviews?!

All we heard was talk about how we couldn't possible make a switch to a 3-4 (thus eliminating candidates) because with the current CBA and uncertainty with schedules, practice etc that we just couldn't. Wait, but what you CAN do is hire a guy who has nowhere near the experiance and expect that to transition well even though he faces the same uncertainties. Amazing.
Not sure I'm buying that. If the D is turned around this team will be a serious Super Bowl contender, why would Andy's job be under threat then? I'm not convinced he's on the hot seat that most seem to think he is anyway but lets assume that he is for a mintue. He probably only has to win one playoff game for his job to be safe, with an improved D I doubt this team is 1 and done in the playoffs again.

Because Andy hasn't won a thing. One playoff win better not be enough to save him given the amount of time he's had.

My main point about a popular DC is that's who everyone would be clamoring for to take over for him. If that DC took over and did a great job and Andy only won a playoff game his seat should be very hot.

If Vick didnt have the year he had, Reid would be gone imho. Alot of green tinted glasses with this hiring. Its an absolute joke. Someone on another said something that holds so true to how the Eagles been running things the past few years. Just look at who is scouting the draft now...Howie Roseman.....he is a lawyer.

Hey I need to bang down this nail...pass me the wrench.

delusional said:
If Vick didnt have the year he had, Reid would be gone imho. Alot of green tinted glasses with this hiring. Its an absolute joke. Someone on another said something that holds so true to how the Eagles been running things the past few years. Just look at who is scouting the draft now...Howie Roseman.....he is a lawyer. Hey I need to bang down this nail...pass me the wrench.
Delusional, serious question here.Do you derive any pleasure from being a fan of the Philadelphia Eagles?I just ask because, as I have said before, every post you make seems to be negative or critical. There seems to be no joy for you in being a fan.And I am not saying that because I think the Eagles do everything right or that this last move doesn't deserve some critical analysis. It's just thatunder Andy Reid the Eagles have probably been one of the top five franchises, and even with the transitions that have occurred in the last few years, they have made the playoffs 3 years in a row. If someone were to just read your posts, they would think the Eagles are a perennial cellar dweller.Lighten up man, have some fun. Or better yet, find a team that you can root for that doesn't frustrate you so much.

delusional said:
If Vick didnt have the year he had, Reid would be gone imho. Alot of green tinted glasses with this hiring. Its an absolute joke. Someone on another said something that holds so true to how the Eagles been running things the past few years. Just look at who is scouting the draft now...Howie Roseman.....he is a lawyer. Hey I need to bang down this nail...pass me the wrench.
Delusional, serious question here.Do you derive any pleasure from being a fan of the Philadelphia Eagles?I just ask because, as I have said before, every post you make seems to be negative or critical. There seems to be no joy for you in being a fan.And I am not saying that because I think the Eagles do everything right or that this last move doesn't deserve some critical analysis. It's just thatunder Andy Reid the Eagles have probably been one of the top five franchises, and even with the transitions that have occurred in the last few years, they have made the playoffs 3 years in a row. If someone were to just read your posts, they would think the Eagles are a perennial cellar dweller.Lighten up man, have some fun. Or better yet, find a team that you can root for that doesn't frustrate you so much.
Over the last 6 years, have the Eagles been a top 5 team? They average 9 wins a season over that stretch.

delusional said:
Over the last 6 years, have the Eagles been a top 5 team? They average 9 wins a season over that stretch.
There are extremes. The Eagles, even in the last five years, have been among the more successful franchises. Have they been as good as Reid's early years? No, but a lot of teams would take our last five years if they could swap. The problem we all seem to have (and I understand the frustration), is that we've spent huge chunks of our lifetime being a good team that doesn't get over the hump. I think a lot of fans FEEL like we're seeing another era of opportunity slip away, and that magnifies all the things that don't go right, and brushes under a lot of what does.

delusional said:
I can't speak for Delusional but I can say that over the last 5 years it's been pretty damn hard to not be very frustrated with this team. I enjoy watching them but after every season I watch that feeling you get from watching that lose and hearing the excuses stays with me longer and longer.

delusional said:
I didn't say over the last 6 years, I said under Andy Reid. And if your point was the Eagles haven't been as good the last 6 years under Reid as they were the first 6 years I would agree with that.But having said that, the Eagles have been better the last 3 years (averaging 10 wins per year and making the playoffs all three years) then theywere the 3 years before that (8 wins per year, only one playoff appearance).My point to delusional is that at their worst under Reid, they have been better than average. His comments portray them in a much more negative light. He might live a longer life if he did not stress himself out so much over a team that performs much better than he gives them credit for. That was my only point.

I've had a post prepared that compares Andy's first 6 years vs. the last 6. I wasn't sure if this was ready yet but I'll throw it out there....

Andy Reid inherited a 3-13 team in 1999. In 6 seasons he took them to the Super Bowl. During those 6 seasons the Eagles had a regular season record of 64-32. That's a win% of .667 averaging nearly 11 wins per season. And those numbers include the '99 season where they only had 5 wins. If we give them a mulligan on the first season, those numbers jump to a win% of .738 and nearly 12 wins a season on average. Those first 6 years also were very successful in the post season, going 7-5 winning the division 4 times and an NFC Championship.

For the first 3 years of Reid's tenure, Tom Modrak was GM. Also a big part of those early years were inherited players like Brian Dawkins, Bobby Taylor, Troy Vincent, Al Harris, Jeremiah Trotter, Hugh Douglas & Tra Thomas (not to mention Duce Staley and William Thomas).

Compare that with Andy Reid's 2nd 6-year run that started with a Super Bowl caliber team. By 2005 Reid has been in total control for 4 seasons. Tom Modrak left in May of 2001. There was also a big shake up in the scouting department following the 2004 draft where, among others, eastern regional scout Marc Ross was fired. Ross was responsible for drafting Brian Westbrook, Lito Sheppard and Derrick Burgess.

The team's overall regular season record since losing the Super Bowl is 54-42 for a .563 win% with an average of 9 wins per season. They have 3 playoff wins against 4 losses.

After 12 seasons, the team has leveled off or even started to decline.

For me its not so much that they're giving Castillo a shot on the defensive side of the ball. But don't they still need a LB coach? Wasn't he a LB? Seems to me that moving him into a vacant position spot and hiring (or at least talking to) 2 coaches that have a rep in the league as being future DC's (if not more) would have been a good move. Moss and Perry are highly thought of as coaches. Yes its still a risk, but one that at least gives the appearance of having a plan. Castillo wants some defensive experience? Fine - make him the LB coach and at least talk to the Green Bay guys who have a defensive pedigree.But don't pee on our leg and tell us its raining by saying you wanted give Juan a shot for a long time now and just needed the right pieces to line up. Great move bringing in Washburn, great move bringing in Mudd...now they should have topped it off by bringing in a rising defensive star with some credibility. Promoting Castillo just reeks of keeping the circle of trust tight and in control.
Just catching up but this is spot on. Why move the OL coach to DC just days before the SB? What's the hurry? No OTAs for at least two months (and likely longer) so why make this move now?As for a 4-3 vs. 3-4 debate, that's an easy one - they don't have 3-4 personnel so they must stay with a 4-3 for 2011. They might start building towards a hybrid and then 3-4 by adding a true NT and better LBs, but their current LB / DL crop don't support it.I just don't get this move at all. Any of the DC candidates would have been better to run this show and if Castillo was to be appeased, move him to LB coach.

Good read on Juan

National Football Post

Who is Juan Castillo

Juan Castillo brings energy and experience to the Defensive Coordinator position in Philly. Jack Bechta

February 03, 2011, 05:00 PM EST

There's no doubt; when the Eagles named Juan Castillo as their new defensive coordinator, it sent shock waves through Eagles nation and even the NFL coaching community. However, players and coaches who have worked directly with Juan quickly understood the move by Andy Reid. You see, Juan is a very special unique breed of coach. He is as tough as they come both mentally and physically, he’s a teacher and could be the hardest working coach in the NFL. People who know him know that he’s always been a defensive guy at heart.

When I first transferred to Texas A&I University in the spring of 1982, I realized that I was in for a type of football I wasn't quite use to at Millersville University in Pennsylvania. My new teammates were bigger, stronger, faster and really rough around the edges. They were bred to play football and most of them were just downright nasty, especially the defensive guys.

I first met Juan in the weight room, which back then looked more like a scene out of a Rocky movie then a college weight room. He told me he was training to play in the NFL even though he went undrafted the previous year. He also just became a grad assistant who was coaching the linebackers. After a brief conversation he politely and enthusiastically asked me if I wanted to fight him in the weight room. I said: "No! I don’t want to fight you." His professorial type reply was, (as he was getting the boxing gloves) "it’ll make you tough, its good training, and we used to do it here in the weight room all the time." When I turned him down he then hung out at the doorway looking for any takers to go a few rounds with him.

I did eventually get in a scuffle with Juan a few weeks later during spring ball after one of his linebackers blindsided me while I was going across the middle for a pass. I bounced up and went after the LB when Juan stepped in to take me on, we went at it, me in full gear and him wearing a whistle; we eventually got separated and it was business as usual. As I went back to the huddle I remember Juan yelling at the offense "the field belongs to the defense and you are going to get hit and pay the price if you come over here". That’s the Juan I know; a defensive guy at heart who loves to fight, hit, train and intimidate. That's who he really is and always will be. He belongs on defense.

Hard working and determined

Juan's years at A&I were spent doing 3 things; going to school, coaching and training. When the USFL went into full swing in 1985 Juan was determined to play. We would hear him running bleachers at midnight by himself from our dorm next to the stadium. He had the key to the weight room and would be in there at 5am punishing himself. On top of graduate school and training he still found time to drill his linebackers for hours on end as well. I don't think the guy ever slept.

In his early days with the Eagles, he used to make sure that he was always the first coach to the office and the last to leave. It practically became a contest between him and Jon Gruden. They both eventually would end up sleeping at the Vet.

A Fundamentalist

Regardless of whatever position Juan coached, he has and still does emphasize fundamentals. I have represented 4 players who Juan coached in college (including Jermane Mayberry and Jorge Diaz) and they said they never been drilled in fundamentals the way Juan drilled them. The good news for Eagles' defense is that they will most likely end up being the most disciplined unit in the league after Juan gets through with them. He will instruct his position coaches to get back to sound tackling and basic drills which has always been the core of his coaching philosophy.

You probably didn't know

Even though Juan coached the Offensive line for 13 seasons, he was also a fixture in the defensive meetings of Jimmy Johnson, Leslie Frazier and Ron Rivera. He once told me that if he understood how the best defensive minds planned and strategized, he could better prepare his offense. Those same great defenses coaches would then pick Juan's brain about how he would scheme and block their defense.

Teacher and teammate

One of the biggest disconnects in pro coaching is the ability for NFL coaches to teach and communicate. Unfortunately, many coaches lack this ever so important trait. While many NFL coaches don't put in the time to teach fundamentals anymore, nor be patient with young players and are quick to give up on a guy after one bad game, Juan is the opposite of all these. He's a patient teacher who possesses the ability to communicate with the 1st round star and the undrafted free agent and even treat both as equals.

The fact Juan is well liked and respected by the players will give him the ability to get the most out of them and get them playing to their full potential. Former Eagles center Hank Fraley once told me that; "he owes his whole NFL career to Juan because he made me better than I ever knew I could be".

Relax bird fans

Our family had season tickets to the Eagles for 20 years and we grew up bleeding green. So I’m sure the bird faithful are skeptical about this move by Andy. But trust me, there is no need to panic. Juan truly represents the fighting Philly spirit that is the DNA of their fans. He's a self-made, hard-working blue collar guy who will find a way to win. The D is in good hands if it reflects the work ethic and fight of their new coordinator.

One additional note. The Eagles landed two of the best trenchmen in the business, DL coach Jim Washburn and OL coach Howard Mudd. Also keep in mind that John Harbaugh went from special teams coach to defensive backs coach with much success. So give Juan a chance and I am certain you will see the Eagles made a great move.

Follow me on Twitter: @jackbechta

I thought it was April 1st when I got the email at work.If Castillo was your man (we all know he wasn't) then you announce him as DC when you fire McDermott.This is just an absolute disgrace.I am lost for words.I am done with this team until the fat man is finally fired. It is pointless investing time into this team when the front office and coaching staff is just a circus.
Just to play devil's advocate, perhaps hiring Castillo as DC was one of several options Reid had, and it was contingent on getting Mudd to sign on as OL coach. That might not have been possible when he let go of McDermott.No one knows right now whether this is a good hire or a bad hire, yet. I remember last year when people were crucifying Reid for trading McNabb in the division. That trade seemed to work out for the Eagles.Come on, guys! Let's stay positive!
:confused: :scared: As much as I love bashing Reid (and he makes it so easy), I inevitably come back to his success as head coach and all the times he's been right and we've been wrong. A list of WTF moves that have worked out off the top of my head:--- Drafting Kolb (some might also say drafting McNabb)--- Trading McNabb to WSH--- Signing Asante--- Releasing Dawkins--- Signing VickThey've made their share of mistakes too but under this regime, they consistently put out a competitive product. The rest (getting to the Superbowl) is a large part luck. Again this move is weird, but at least Castillo is a good coach. IMO, there is nothing more dangerous than a hardworking man with a chip on his shoulder.

I've had a post prepared that compares Andy's first 6 years vs. the last 6. I wasn't sure if this was ready yet but I'll throw it out there....Andy Reid inherited a 3-13 team in 1999. In 6 seasons he took them to the Super Bowl. During those 6 seasons the Eagles had a regular season record of 64-32. That's a win% of .667 averaging nearly 11 wins per season. And those numbers include the '99 season where they only had 5 wins. If we give them a mulligan on the first season, those numbers jump to a win% of .738 and nearly 12 wins a season on average. Those first 6 years also were very successful in the post season, going 7-5 winning the division 4 times and an NFC Championship.For the first 3 years of Reid's tenure, Tom Modrak was GM. Also a big part of those early years were inherited players like Brian Dawkins, Bobby Taylor, Troy Vincent, Al Harris, Jeremiah Trotter, Hugh Douglas & Tra Thomas (not to mention Duce Staley and William Thomas).Compare that with Andy Reid's 2nd 6-year run that started with a Super Bowl caliber team. By 2005 Reid has been in total control for 4 seasons. Tom Modrak left in May of 2001. There was also a big shake up in the scouting department following the 2004 draft where, among others, eastern regional scout Marc Ross was fired. Ross was responsible for drafting Brian Westbrook, Lito Sheppard and Derrick Burgess.The team's overall regular season record since losing the Super Bowl is 54-42 for a .563 win% with an average of 9 wins per season. They have 3 playoff wins against 4 losses.After 12 seasons, the team has leveled off or even started to decline.
While your data is correct, I'm not sure it's fair. .738 win percentages are unsustainable. 5 years of great records followed by the loss of several superstars leads any great team to a few down years...the Eagles had one. Ironically, that one is included in your second five years. So...a more fair evaluation would be that a once great team fell to mediocrity, as all great teams do when they age. After only 1 or 2 years down, the coach built the team back up into playoff contention, but lacked many superstars and did so with a QB who was clearly past his prime. A .600 record is IMPRESSIVE after such a rise (and subsequant fall...and .600 is throwing out the one down year).Now...we have a team that is one of the absolute YOUNGEST in the NFL, has made the playoffs the last couple of years, and appears loaded with emergng stars...not superstars (yet) mind you, but guys in their 2nd or 3rd seasons who are already stars and still improving. And you paint this head coach as a failure?Sorry, I find that position to be, for lack of a better word, stupid.Reid has flaws. His game-day management is average at best. But the criticism of him and the organization in this thread is embarressing in it's unfairness. He's at worst still a top ten head coach in the NFL, not a guy to fire lightly. Eagles fans should be excited about the near future, despite the questions on defense, not looking to castrate the HC. Delusional and others who NEVER have anything positive to say really should go change to black and orange stripes, so that they can whine and moan with some measure of legitimacy...maybe than they can be happy in their misery without being called out by more reasonable heads.

I've had a post prepared that compares Andy's first 6 years vs. the last 6. I wasn't sure if this was ready yet but I'll throw it out there....Andy Reid inherited a 3-13 team in 1999. In 6 seasons he took them to the Super Bowl. During those 6 seasons the Eagles had a regular season record of 64-32. That's a win% of .667 averaging nearly 11 wins per season. And those numbers include the '99 season where they only had 5 wins. If we give them a mulligan on the first season, those numbers jump to a win% of .738 and nearly 12 wins a season on average. Those first 6 years also were very successful in the post season, going 7-5 winning the division 4 times and an NFC Championship.For the first 3 years of Reid's tenure, Tom Modrak was GM. Also a big part of those early years were inherited players like Brian Dawkins, Bobby Taylor, Troy Vincent, Al Harris, Jeremiah Trotter, Hugh Douglas & Tra Thomas (not to mention Duce Staley and William Thomas).Compare that with Andy Reid's 2nd 6-year run that started with a Super Bowl caliber team. By 2005 Reid has been in total control for 4 seasons. Tom Modrak left in May of 2001. There was also a big shake up in the scouting department following the 2004 draft where, among others, eastern regional scout Marc Ross was fired. Ross was responsible for drafting Brian Westbrook, Lito Sheppard and Derrick Burgess.The team's overall regular season record since losing the Super Bowl is 54-42 for a .563 win% with an average of 9 wins per season. They have 3 playoff wins against 4 losses.After 12 seasons, the team has leveled off or even started to decline.
While your data is correct, I'm not sure it's fair. .738 win percentages are unsustainable. 5 years of great records followed by the loss of several superstars leads any great team to a few down years...the Eagles had one. Ironically, that one is included in your second five years. So...a more fair evaluation would be that a once great team fell to mediocrity, as all great teams do when they age. After only 1 or 2 years down, the coach built the team back up into playoff contention, but lacked many superstars and did so with a QB who was clearly past his prime. A .600 record is IMPRESSIVE after such a rise (and subsequant fall...and .600 is throwing out the one down year).Now...we have a team that is one of the absolute YOUNGEST in the NFL, has made the playoffs the last couple of years, and appears loaded with emergng stars...not superstars (yet) mind you, but guys in their 2nd or 3rd seasons who are already stars and still improving. And you paint this head coach as a failure?Sorry, I find that position to be, for lack of a better word, stupid.Reid has flaws. His game-day management is average at best. But the criticism of him and the organization in this thread is embarressing in it's unfairness. He's at worst still a top ten head coach in the NFL, not a guy to fire lightly. Eagles fans should be excited about the near future, despite the questions on defense, not looking to castrate the HC. Delusional and others who NEVER have anything positive to say really should go change to black and orange stripes, so that they can whine and moan with some measure of legitimacy...maybe than they can be happy in their misery without being called out by more reasonable heads.
How's the defense look? They are all Andy's guys and coaches. I give Andy a lot of credit. After 12 seasons, they are what they are. Competitive. Nice. That's what the Sixers are striving to be. The Eagles should have higher goals. He needs to at least win a playoff game or 2 next season don't you think? They've won 3 playoff games in 6 years. Most coaches don't get 6 years to rebuild.

How's the defense look? They are all Andy's guys and coaches. I give Andy a lot of credit. After 12 seasons, they are what they are. Competitive. Nice. That's what the Sixers are striving to be. The Eagles should have higher goals. He needs to at least win a playoff game or 2 next season don't you think? They've won 3 playoff games in 6 years. Most coaches don't get 6 years to rebuild.
You realize most "rebuilding" teams don't make the playoff 4 or 5 times while rebuilding, right? How many teams have won three playoff games in the last 6 years? Your definition of "competitive" is shockingly inacurate. Competitive is a .500 club that occasionaly beats a playoff team, maybe pulls a wildcard berth every 3 or 4 years.Realize also that maintaining "competitive" while also rebuilding is something most head coaches can't pull off. That doing so means lower draft picks...which logically would also lengthen the rebuilding stretch?Look, I'm not a Reid apologist (or at least, I'm not trying to be), but some of the criticism is unfair at best, stupid at it's worst. Coaches who have built playoff caliber rosters that are also this young should NEVER be fired. Whether it took him 5 years to build it or 2 years to build it is immaterial. The fact is, he built it...and we have to let him see it through.IN rebuilding, they obviously attacked the offense first. This offense is a couple of lineman away from being one of the most explosive the NFL has ever seen. With that in mind, the defense only has to be average. Do you really think this ultra-young group isn't very close to becoming average?The negativity in here is unwarranted.

You realize most "rebuilding" teams don't make the playoff 4 or 5 times while rebuilding, right? How many teams have won three playoff games in the last 6 years? Your definition of "competitive" is shockingly inacurate. Competitive is a .500 club that occasionaly beats a playoff team, maybe pulls a wildcard berth every 3 or 4 years.Realize also that maintaining "competitive" while also rebuilding is something most head coaches can't pull off. That doing so means lower draft picks...which logically would also lengthen the rebuilding stretch?Look, I'm not a Reid apologist (or at least, I'm not trying to be), but some of the criticism is unfair at best, stupid at it's worst. Coaches who have built playoff caliber rosters that are also this young should NEVER be fired. Whether it took him 5 years to build it or 2 years to build it is immaterial. The fact is, he built it...and we have to let him see it through.IN rebuilding, they obviously attacked the offense first. This offense is a couple of lineman away from being one of the most explosive the NFL has ever seen. With that in mind, the defense only has to be average. Do you really think this ultra-young group isn't very close to becoming average?The negativity in here is unwarranted.
I think all Eagles fans can agree the last 6 years (all with Andy in control and with his guys) hasn't been nearly as successful as the first 6. Reputations are made in the post season. Next year can't be one-and-done. If that's negative, so be it.

You realize most "rebuilding" teams don't make the playoff 4 or 5 times while rebuilding, right? How many teams have won three playoff games in the last 6 years? Your definition of "competitive" is shockingly inacurate. Competitive is a .500 club that occasionaly beats a playoff team, maybe pulls a wildcard berth every 3 or 4 years.Realize also that maintaining "competitive" while also rebuilding is something most head coaches can't pull off. That doing so means lower draft picks...which logically would also lengthen the rebuilding stretch?

Look, I'm not a Reid apologist (or at least, I'm not trying to be), but some of the criticism is unfair at best, stupid at it's worst. Coaches who have built playoff caliber rosters that are also this young should NEVER be fired. Whether it took him 5 years to build it or 2 years to build it is immaterial. The fact is, he built it...and we have to let him see it through.

IN rebuilding, they obviously attacked the offense first. This offense is a couple of lineman away from being one of the most explosive the NFL has ever seen. With that in mind, the defense only has to be average. Do you really think this ultra-young group isn't very close to becoming average?

The negativity in here is unwarranted.
To answer your question, 13 teams in the last six years have won 3 or more playoff games. Chicago, San Diego, and Philadelphia have won exactly 3 and 10 teams have won more than 3. As for playoff appearances in the last 6 years, Indy has 6, NE has 5, and Philadelphia and 5 other teams have 4 playoff appearances. So Philly is tied for 11th in playoff wins and tied for 3rd in playoff appearances over the last 6 years.Over the last 3 years, Philly is tied for 7th in playoff wins and tied for 1st in playoff appearances.

Just for comparison, over the last 3 years, NE has 2 playoff appearances and zero playoff wins.

In case anyone cares.

You realize most "rebuilding" teams don't make the playoff 4 or 5 times while rebuilding, right? How many teams have won three playoff games in the last 6 years? Your definition of "competitive" is shockingly inacurate. Competitive is a .500 club that occasionaly beats a playoff team, maybe pulls a wildcard berth every 3 or 4 years.Realize also that maintaining "competitive" while also rebuilding is something most head coaches can't pull off. That doing so means lower draft picks...which logically would also lengthen the rebuilding stretch?

Look, I'm not a Reid apologist (or at least, I'm not trying to be), but some of the criticism is unfair at best, stupid at it's worst. Coaches who have built playoff caliber rosters that are also this young should NEVER be fired. Whether it took him 5 years to build it or 2 years to build it is immaterial. The fact is, he built it...and we have to let him see it through.

IN rebuilding, they obviously attacked the offense first. This offense is a couple of lineman away from being one of the most explosive the NFL has ever seen. With that in mind, the defense only has to be average. Do you really think this ultra-young group isn't very close to becoming average?

The negativity in here is unwarranted.
To answer your question, 13 teams in the last six years have won 3 or more playoff games. Chicago, San Diego, and Philadelphia have won exactly 3 and 10 teams have won more than 3. As for playoff appearances in the last 6 years, Indy has 6, NE has 5, and Philadelphia and 5 other teams have 4 playoff appearances. So Philly is tied for 11th in playoff wins and tied for 3rd in playoff appearances over the last 6 years.Over the last 3 years, Philly is tied for 7th in playoff wins and tied for 1st in playoff appearances.

Just for comparison, over the last 3 years, NE has 2 playoff appearances and zero playoff wins.

In case anyone cares.
And yet Lovie Smith was on the hot seat coming into 2010 facing a win-or-else year. In the last 6 years he has more regular season wins (58 vs. 54) then Reid and same number of playoff wins. Smith has accomplished that with QBs like Rex Grossman and Brian Griese and has taken the Bears to 2 Conference Championship games. Norv Turner, who is not considered to be among the elite coaches in the NFL, averages over 10 wins a season over 4 years with SD (a full game per year more than Reid) and one less playoff win in less years.

Another video on Washburn and Mudd:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-presen...posites-attract

I dont know if i've been excited about a coaching staff but the Eagles are really putting together one hell of one.
position coaches sure & personally i think Juan was overrated...great he is a hard worker, runs guys hard, but with all the oline guys they drafted over the years, it has been the biggest problem the past couple./..defense by committee is what this is going to be.

alot of people wearing eagles green tinted glasses on this one. and as much as reid has done for the eagles to make them successful, he is also the reason they have failed to win it all

Just catching up but this is spot on.

Why move the OL coach to DC just days before the SB? What's the hurry? No OTAs for at least two months (and likely longer) so why make this move now?

As for a 4-3 vs. 3-4 debate, that's an easy one - they don't have 3-4 personnel so they must stay with a 4-3 for 2011. They might start building towards a hybrid and then 3-4 by adding a true NT and better LBs, but their current LB / DL crop don't support it.

I just don't get this move at all. Any of the DC candidates would have been better to run this show and if Castillo was to be appeased, move him to LB coach.

Well Im not exactly sure but maybe Mudd who is a great Oline coach wanted an answer or maybe Reid wanted to lock him up and if he was on the fence about hiring Castillo made the choice easier.

additional quoted text removed

To answer your question, 13 teams in the last six years have won 3 or more playoff games. Chicago, San Diego, and Philadelphia have won exactly 3 and 10 teams have won more than 3. As for playoff appearances in the last 6 years, Indy has 6, NE has 5, and Philadelphia and 5 other teams have 4 playoff appearances. So Philly is tied for 11th in playoff wins and tied for 3rd in playoff appearances over the last 6 years.

Over the last 3 years, Philly is tied for 7th in playoff wins and tied for 1st in playoff appearances.

In case anyone cares.
And yet Lovie Smith was on the hot seat coming into 2010 facing a win-or-else year. In the last 6 years he has more regular season wins (58 vs. 54) then Reid and same number of playoff wins. Smith has accomplished that with QBs like Rex Grossman and Brian Griese and has taken the Bears to 2 Conference Championship games. Norv Turner, who is not considered to be among the elite coaches in the NFL, averages over 10 wins a season over 4 years with SD (a full game per year more than Reid) and one less playoff win in less years.
Just because another coach was on the hot seat doesn't necessarily mean that we have to follow the same managerial tendencies of that franchise. I think success follows longevity. Reid has done a relatively good job in the time that he's had, and I don't think he should be on the hot seat at all. Given the obvious holes in the Bears offense, I don't think Lovie should have been on the hot seat either. He hasn't finished worse than 7-9 except for his first season. Green Bay and Minnesota aren't necessarily slouch teams (though they do have Detroit in their division). As for the Chargers, the AFC West isn't known for being a power house division, and it was somewhat expected for San Diego to do relatively well there. Without getting too much into what other teams are doing, it's just my opinion that this team is headed in the right direction. We're young and explosive and if we can get our Defensive side of the ball to help our team, than we could go deeper into the playoffs and we wouldn't be having this discussion. But everything takes time. There aren't many Mike Tomlin type teams where you take over and make it to 2 Superbowl's (with the chance on winning the second). We've made the playoff's 9 times under Reid. Not once have we gone 2 years without a Playoff game, and only 4 times since 1999 have we gone without double digit wins. It's just my opinion, but why would we consider replacing him?

Lawlor on Reid:

Andy Reid's UniverseBy Tommy Lawlor - ContributorFollow @sbnphilly on Twitter, and Like SB Nation Philly on Facebook.Feb 4, 2011 - There has been a lot of recent speculation about Andy Reid and his future as head coach of the Eagles. People read into every move and try to find some angle that portends to Reid's demise or departure. This isn't necessarily Reid-bashing, but rather a desire to be the first to say "I told you so" when the dots are eventually connected. I do agree that Reid is closer to the end of his career than the beginning, but that is due to one factor - time. NFL coaches just don't last 20 years very often. Reid has been in charge of the Eagles since 1999. At some point he will walk away or maybe even be fired. I don't see that happening any time in the next few years, much to the chagrin of recent prognosticators. They point to recent moves and find the juicy angle to each one. Sean McDermott was fired after Andy said he'd be kept. That must mean there was a power struggle and Reid was forced to fire him. Reid traded Donovan McNabb. That must have been his way of blaming McNabb for the team not winning it all. Or, Reid didn't want to trade McNabb. Again, he lost a power struggle. They can play both angles on that one. The fact that Reid has fired assistant coaches quickly in the last couple of years shows he is a desperate man. Reid's failure to add a big name at defensive coordinator is a sign he feared that person could be his successor. And so on. I'm not buying it. I don't see a desperate football coach. I do see a coach who has 12 years under his belt. He's changed over the years. Reid began with a pair of veteran coordinators in Rod Dowhower and Jim Johnson. He added a young coaching staff around them. Those coaches developed and many of them moved on to better jobs. Dowhower retired years ago. Johnson stayed until his death in the summer of 2009. In the last couple of years Reid has been rebuilding his coaching staff. There have been hits and misses. Upon seeing a move hasn't worked, Reid now pulls the trigger quickly. I applaud him for that. Haven't we all gotten on Reid for being too slow to move in the past? Now he does what we want and he's labeled "desperate". Reid has also had the chance to add some great coaches. Howard Mudd, Jim Washburn, and Bobby April are "all star" coaches, guys who are among the best in the business at their position. Heck, Mudd might be the greatest line coach in league history. I love the fact that Reid has pounced on these great coaches when they became available. The Eagles have a young roster. The best way to develop those players is through good coaching. Let's talk about the roster. Why would Reid be keeping so many young players around if he truly felt a sense of desperation? Coaches on the hot seat generally load up on veterans so they can "win now". Reid has never been one to add a lot of veteran players. He seems to be sticking with his M.O. in this area. We'll find out for sure when (and if) free agency rolls around. If Reid has the Eagles going after Logan Mankins, Namdi Asomugha, and Jason Babin in the first week, I'll re-visit my position on Reid. I just don't see anything like that happening. The promotion of Juan Castillo to defensive coordinator is hard to judge, from either side. You can argue that Reid is so comfortable with his status that he felt complete freedom to make a bold move like that. You can also argue that Reid feared bringing in an outsider, someone that wouldn't be as loyal as a homegrown coach. Honestly, the Castillo promotion is so strange I don't think anyone can accurately get a read on it at this point. Reid's situation with the Eagles has changed over the years. He came in here completely unproven. Reid showed quickly that he was a good coach and also got the big picture. He and general manager Tom Modrak worked well together at first, but inevitably one of them had to be in charge of the situation. Joe Banner and Jeff Lurie chose Reid to be "the man". Reid brought in Tom Heckert to run the personnel side of things. Reid would remain the ultimate decision maker, but knew he wasn't capable of doing the legwork that goes into making those decisions. Reid trusted Heckert and they worked well together. That lasted for several years. 2007 was another changing point. Reid's sons got arrested. He took a leave of absence from football for a while in the offseason. It didn't affect the team at all, but I think Banner and Lurie got a bit worried about Reid being in charge of everything and having these serious family matters to deal with. I'm not sure that they trusted Heckert to run the show on his own. Heckert worked well with Reid, but must not have seemed like the kind of guy meant to lead an organization. Howie Roseman was ascending through the organization. He worked well with Heckert, Banner, and Reid, but had a very independent side as well. It was decided to give him a chance to do more on the personnel side of things and see if he could handle it. Roseman had taken advantage of every opportunity the Eagles gave him and did the same with his new personnel duties. At some point it became obvious that he was going to get a major role in running the personnel department. Heckert moved on to Cleveland. Roseman eventually worked his way into the role of general manager. He and Reid work well together. They get along well. There is no great divide between them, the way that some would like to make it seem. The difference between Heckert and Roseman is that Howie isn't as aligned to Reid's way of thinking on everything. Heckert and Reid were basically two peas in a pod. They agreed a lot on which players they liked and also how to run the team. Roseman and Reid have different styles. They tend to agree on players, from what I can tell, but Roseman is much more aggressive. He's more likely to roll the dice. Reid is normally patient. Reid and Roseman do have their disagreements, but I think that is a good thing. I liked Heckert, but too many similar minds can be unhealthy for an organization. Groupthink isn't always good. You need someone who sees things differently. Heck, you wonder if Roseman hasn't started to rub off on Reid a bit with the way things have been handled recently. I really do think people underestimate how much Reid has changed over the years. He gave up his playcalling several years ago. Some people still don't get that. Just because Reid keeps his giant chart doesn't mean he's calling the plays. He is making suggestions and keeping track of certain things, but Marty Mornhinweg is the man making the calls. Reid has been more hands on with the whole team in the last couple of years. You now see him talking to defensive players as well as offensive players on the sideline. Reid seems more fiery and emotional than ever before. I think that is a result of the youthful energy of the team. We see him trying to jump up and do hip bumps with DeSean Jackson. It isn't pretty, but you have to love the way the veteran coach is trying to connect with his young players. I don't think he ever did that with Charles Johnson, Torrance Small, Na Brown, or Gari Scott (insert failure to make big plays joke here). The whole notion of Reid as a desperate coach has one major flaw even if you disagree with much of what I've written. The second that Andy Reid became available his phone and that of agent Bob Lamonte would start ringing like crazy. Teams would be desperate to hire him. Reid wants to stay in Philadelphia. He wants to finish what he started, meaning to make the Eagles Super Bowl champions. That was his goal in January of 1999 and remains the same today. The Eagles were one of the youngest teams in all of the NFL last year. They have a very strong core in place. They have a dynamic quarterback in Michael Vick. There are now some great assistant coaches to help guide the young players. Reid should be on cloud nine when it comes to the future of the Eagles. He's got a heckuva good situation. He'll have a chance to challenge for the Super Bowl title in the next few years, if not 2011. Players have come and gone. Coaches have come and gone. Executives have come and gone. The one constant in the Eagles success remains Andy Reid. He's not the same guy he was in 1999, 2004, or even 2008. He's a changed man and the Eagles are a better team because of that.

Lawlor on Reid:

Players have come and gone. Coaches have come and gone. Executives have come and gone. The one constant in the Eagles success remains Andy Reid. He's not the same guy he was in 1999, 2004, or even 2008. He's a changed man and the Eagles are a better team because of that.
Very nice article on Reid. Whether or not the Eagles are a better team because of all the changes remains to be seen since the success on the field has gone down. The only thing that would make them a better team then when Andy started is if they win the Super Bowl. The old Andy already got them there, now the new Andy has to win it to qualify as "better". I'm hoping the new Andy finally proves to be better.

Lawlor on Reid:

I really do think people underestimate how much Reid has changed over the years. He gave up his playcalling several years ago. Some people still don't get that. Just because Reid keeps his giant chart doesn't mean he's calling the plays. He is making suggestions and keeping track of certain things, but Marty Mornhinweg is the man making the calls.
This is said but before that you have this
Reid and Roseman do have their disagreements, but I think that is a good thing. I liked Heckert, but too many similar minds can be unhealthy for an organization. Groupthink isn't always good. You need someone who sees things differently. Heck, you wonder if Roseman hasn't started to rub off on Reid a bit with the way things have been handled recently.
If anything, Marty is the example of "group think". The offensive play calling is the same before & after marty got here. I always associate Marty & Andy with the Mr Hat & Mr Garrison comparison

delusional said:
Lawlor on Reid:

I really do think people underestimate how much Reid has changed over the years. He gave up his playcalling several years ago. Some people still don't get that. Just because Reid keeps his giant chart doesn't mean he's calling the plays. He is making suggestions and keeping track of certain things, but Marty Mornhinweg is the man making the calls.
This is said but before that you have this
Reid and Roseman do have their disagreements, but I think that is a good thing. I liked Heckert, but too many similar minds can be unhealthy for an organization. Groupthink isn't always good. You need someone who sees things differently. Heck, you wonder if Roseman hasn't started to rub off on Reid a bit with the way things have been handled recently.
If anything, Marty is the example of "group think". The offensive play calling is the same before & after marty got here. I always associate Marty & Andy with the Mr Hat & Mr Garrison comparison
I have read some great stuff from Lawlor. I like his post-game break downs, good and bad. But he did also have this one following the Tennessee game:Sunday's loss to the Titans was miserable. That was the worst fourth quarter we've had to sit through in a long time. The meltdown has suddenly put defensive coordinator Sean McDermott in the crosshairs of many fans and media members. Sal Paolantonio, who never met a dumb rumor he didn't like, went on the radio and told people that he thinks McDermott is in danger of getting fired.

Ugh. I'm not sure why Sal doesn't understand there's a difference in the opinion of angry fans and the leadership of the Eagles organization. That would seem to be common sense. But why let logic get in the way of a good rumor, right? That is SalPal 101.

Let's examine McDermott's situation for a minute. His defense is 9th in the league in yards allowed. We're 5th in sacks. We're tied for 2nd in interceptions. We just went through a 3-game stretch where we held Frank Gore, Michael Turner, and Chris Johnson to a combined total of 163 rushing yards. There is a lot to be happy about with the defense.

Well what do you know. Looks like you can win a Super Bowl with no running game.
Yep, just get an elite QB and it's possible...
And a top 5 defense. However, GB got this far by continuing to run the ball. Even if they weren't very successful at it.
True on all accounts.
With no true running game all season, GB ran the ball 54%, 46% & 52% of the time in the post season leading up to the Super Bowl.9 of the last 10 coaches to win their first did so within 5 years. Most took less with Cowher being the exception.

9 of the last 10 coaches to win their first did so within 5 years. Most took less with Cowher being the exception.
:thumbup: This argument is getting old. It's dangerously misleading. How many non-SB head coaches last more than five years in the first place?????? Bad coaches simply can't keep their jobs more than five years in the NFL. Good coaches remain winners even when they've coached long enough for everyone to know their style and tendencies.AR is a winner.

9 of the last 10 coaches to win their first did so within 5 years. Most took less with Cowher being the exception.
:thumbup: This argument is getting old. It's dangerously misleading. How many non-SB head coaches last more than five years in the first place?????? Bad coaches simply can't keep their jobs more than five years in the NFL. Good coaches remain winners even when they've coached long enough for everyone to know their style and tendencies.AR is a winner.
Good question.

Saw an interesting tid bit scroll on the ESPN ticker during the 12 hour pre game show yesterday. Larry Fitzgerald according to Adam Schefter suggested to Cardinals' brass that he would try and make a trade for Kevin Kolb to fill the Cardinals QB void. Cards have a top ten pick this year don't they? Interesting stuff if true.

Saw an interesting tid bit scroll on the ESPN ticker during the 12 hour pre game show yesterday. Larry Fitzgerald according to Adam Schefter suggested to Cardinals' brass that he would try and make a trade for Kevin Kolb to fill the Cardinals QB void. Cards have a top ten pick this year don't they? Interesting stuff if true.
Cards with Kolb make the playoffs, imo.

Users who are viewing this thread