What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2011 Philadelphia Eagles Thread*** (2 Viewers)

Saw an interesting tid bit scroll on the ESPN ticker during the 12 hour pre game show yesterday. Larry Fitzgerald according to Adam Schefter suggested to Cardinals' brass that he would try and make a trade for Kevin Kolb to fill the Cardinals QB void. Cards have a top ten pick this year don't they? Interesting stuff if true.
I think it would take 2 things in addition to Kolb to get the Cards 1st round pick....a new CBA and the Eagles #23.Interesting nonetheless that ESPN/Schefter would put that on the ticker though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw an interesting tid bit scroll on the ESPN ticker during the 12 hour pre game show yesterday. Larry Fitzgerald according to Adam Schefter suggested to Cardinals' brass that he would try and make a trade for Kevin Kolb to fill the Cardinals QB void. Cards have a top ten pick this year don't they? Interesting stuff if true.
I think it would take 2 things in addition to Kolb to get the Cards 1st round pick....a new CBA and the Eagles #23.Interesting nonetheless that ESPN/Schefter would put that on the ticker though.
I agree. A swap of firsts and some other picks to go along (future 3rd perhaps from Zona) to complete the deal for Kolb seems logical.

I agree. A swap of firsts and some other picks to go along (future 3rd perhaps from Zona) to complete the deal for Kolb seems logical.
Cardinals have the #5 pick. I don't think they'll give it away even if they get the #23. I think the best we can hope for is 2.5, and a conditional 2nd next year (slightly richer than the McNabb deal but not much). Lots of good 2nd/3rd round CBs this year. Get Carimi with #23 and a CB at 2.5 and it could fill some needs.

Cardinals have the #5 pick. I don't think they'll give it away even if they get the #23. I think the best we can hope for is 2.5, and a conditional 2nd next year (slightly richer than the McNabb deal but not much). Lots of good 2nd/3rd round CBs this year. Get Carimi with #23 and a CB at 2.5 and it could fill some needs.
Perhaps you're right. I replied without investigating how high Zona was in the draft order.

Two 2nd rounders for a back up QB i'd take as well.

So Zordich as the DB coach and Caldwell as the LB coach. Very interesting that two guys on the staff (and former players) are promoted up when the play at both of those areas was (at times) suspect. Though the argument could also be made that they coached up a number of rookies enough to have them play meaningful snaps this year when forced due to injury. I'd say Guys like Patterson and Cheney were overmatched but still did better than expected when given the chance. Thoughts?

So Zordich as the DB coach and Caldwell as the LB coach. Very interesting that two guys on the staff (and former players) are promoted up when the play at both of those areas was (at times) suspect. Though the argument could also be made that they coached up a number of rookies enough to have them play meaningful snaps this year when forced due to injury. I'd say Guys like Patterson and Cheney were overmatched but still did better than expected when given the chance. Thoughts?
Two more coaches promoted from within, huh. Sure, why mess with a good thing. And I see both come from positions in "defensive quality control". Caldwell worked with the linebackers and Zordich with the DBs. That's quality right there.Sorry, just too easy to be sarcastic.

Two more coaches promoted from within, huh. Sure, why mess with a good thing. And I see both come from positions in "defensive quality control". Caldwell worked with the linebackers and Zordich with the DBs. That's quality right there.Sorry, just too easy to be sarcastic.
1) Promoting from within, and continuity, are the keys to most great teams successes. Do the Steelers go out and grab new guys when they lose coaches? Do the Patriots hire named senior assistants to plug holes? 2) The Eagles hired Bobby April last season, and Mudd and Washburn this offseason...three of the most well regarded coaches in the league at their respective positions.

renesauz said:
Amused to Death said:
9 of the last 10 coaches to win their first did so within 5 years. Most took less with Cowher being the exception.
:lmao: This argument is getting old. It's dangerously misleading. How many non-SB head coaches last more than five years in the first place?????? Bad coaches simply can't keep their jobs more than five years in the NFL. Good coaches remain winners even when they've coached long enough for everyone to know their style and tendencies.AR is a winner.
Using info from pro-footballreference.com, there have been 63 NFL head coaches who have started their careers since 1966 and coached 6 or more years without winning a Super Bowl....since you asked ;-)Dan Reeves holds the record with 23 non-SB winning seasons.

1) Promoting from within, and continuity, are the keys to most great teams successes. Do the Steelers go out and grab new guys when they lose coaches? Do the Patriots hire named senior assistants to plug holes? 2) The Eagles hired Bobby April last season, and Mudd and Washburn this offseason...three of the most well regarded coaches in the league at their respective positions.
Well we got the continuity thing down....now we just need that great success.And I agree with your second point. Great hires.

Well we got the continuity thing down....now we just need that great success.
Agreed. Right now we're more Buffalo Bills than Patriots or Steelers, can't argue with that. But there are still MUCH worse places to be all around the league.

1) Promoting from within, and continuity, are the keys to most great teams successes. Do the Steelers go out and grab new guys when they lose coaches? Do the Patriots hire named senior assistants to plug holes?
The Steelers went completely outside to get Tomlin when they had a few obvious choices in house.The Patriots don't actually fill coaching vacancies anymore. ;)

So now out of all the defensive coaches we have, only ONE (Washburn) has actually done his job before. It's hard to believe THIS was the plan for resurecting our D....I really am trying hard to find something positive about what they're doing with this D but its getting hard!

So now out of all the defensive coaches we have, only ONE (Washburn) has actually done his job before. It's hard to believe THIS was the plan for resurecting our D....I really am trying hard to find something positive about what they're doing with this D but its getting hard!
An appropriate quote (imo) from JasonB at Bleeding Green Nation: For a team that literally gutted its entire defensive staff after the season, there's a surprising lack of new faces.

I honestly have no idea what is going on. They let go McDermott cause he wasn't ready to follow Jim Johnson...then they hire....Juan..a guy with no gameday coordinator experience...or defensive exp for that matter. Then they bring in these two....baffled.

Eagles hire Johnnie Lynn for Secondary coach. Former Ravens secondary coach. Well, if any of the players on defense have any talent at all they've created a very good coaching staff to bring that talent out with. Only question mark would be Castillo but I can't say they haven't done a poor job shuffling the coaching around. Washburn, Mudd, April, this guy all sounds like they are the best at what they do.

Eagles hire Johnnie Lynn for Secondary coach. Former Ravens secondary coach. Well, if any of the players on defense have any talent at all they've created a very good coaching staff to bring that talent out with. Only question mark would be Castillo but I can't say they haven't done a poor job shuffling the coaching around. Washburn, Mudd, April, this guy all sounds like they are the best at what they do.
:thumbup: Also an experienced DC.

Major decisions, starting with Vick, will define Eagles' offseason

By Steve Wyche NFL.com

Senior Writer

Published: Jan. 10, 2011

PHILADELPHIA -- Eagles players were as dejected and upset as you might expect following their wild-card playoff loss to Green Bay on Sunday.

Despite being angry, wide receiver DeSean Jackson was able to put things somewhat in perspective, saying that the team did more than a lot of people expected -- true -- and that as long as Michael Vick and the band are kept together, next season could be even more prosperous.

It could be, if the Eagles find ways to overcome what seem to be consistent issues. They have been defeated in the first round of the playoffs the past two seasons -- and previous years -- for the same shortcomings: Flaws along the offensive line, vulnerability against the run and players not making plays in the clutch.

This offseason doesn't figure to be as eventful as the last two, when quarterback Donovan McNabb was traded and fixtures Brian Dawkins and Brian Westbrook departed via free agency, but these are the Eagles, so some form of drama is on the horizon.

1. Could both QBs return?

Though Vick is a free agent, no team -- including the Eagles -- will sign him until a new collective bargaining agreement is reached between the league's owners and players, and that could be awhile. Teams want to know what the salary cap will be and if the "Franchise" tag will be back. Once that is figured out, it is difficult to imagine the Eagles not re-signing him. The haggling point could be the terms.

Philadelphia might not offer him a lengthy deal, whereas another team desperate for quarterback help -- Minnesota, Miami, Tennessee -- could. If that happens, the Eagles could franchise him for a season. That would not be ideal for Vick, but either way, he'll have earned himself a fairly hefty payday.

As for Kevin Kolb, the Eagles once again have a quarterback who could turn out to be valued trade bait. Kolb said he wants to start somewhere, so he probably wants to get moved unless the Eagles commit to him as The Guy, and that seems unlikely.

Kolb could be the most sought after quarterback under contract and Philadelphia, should it decide to move him, could be able to fetch at least a second-rounder for him, probably more when you consider the weak market for quarterbacks. Remember, Vick was in a similar situation last offseason and the Eagles wouldn't part with him. It turned out to be a prudent move.

2. What if Mornhinweg leaves?

Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg is expected to be interviewed for the head-coaching job in Cleveland (and maybe other places) and be a top candidate to get the position if that happens. He is one of the better offensive coaches in the NFL and has created a scheme that helped Vick develop into a more complete quarterback. Vick credits a lot of his re-birth to Mornhinweg.

If Mornhinweg leaves, former Vikings coach and Eagles offensive coordinator Brad Childress is expected to step in as offensive coordinator. Childress and coach Andy Reid remain close and they should be able to pick up where things left off. Whether Childress could mesh with Vick and/or Kolb the way Mornhinweg did could be worth watching.

3. Will Eagles re-do Jackson's contract?

Jackson is entering the last year of his contract. Scheduled to earn $565,000 next season, he went through phases of unhappiness over the team's unwillingness to re-do his deal this season. There were certain limitations based on this being a season with no salary cap that prevented him from striking it big and he could actually earn more by waiting as a result. Once cap rules are established, he probably will get a bump. The Eagles don't want him brooding.

4. How do Eagles fix the defense?

Other than end Trent Cole, the pass rush has been inconsistent and stopping the run -- especially up the middle -- was a problem. Not having middle linebacker Stewart Bradley late in the season clearly hurt. He is a free agent and his return isn't certain. Philadelphia has to beef up its interior. DE Brandon Graham, who finished the season on injured reserve, should be better in Year 2. Injuries really crippled the secondary. Schematic changes also have to be in order. Philadelphia's poor red-zone defense was problematic.

5. Will the line ever be a force?

This seems to be an issue year after year no matter how much the team invests in players in free agency or the draft. The Eagles are so pass intensive that run blocking seems to be a constant issue. This past season, pass protection was abysmal, as the Eagles allowed 49 sacks. The season-ending injury to center Jamaal Jackson definitely messed up some of the chemistry, but that still can't account for the lack of consistent execution.

While Jackson's return will help, the Eagles need to solidify things on the right side of their line, in particular.

guy tried to convince me last night that the cardinals would be stupid not to trade larry fitzgerald for kevin kolb - straight up.

oh, and that this was a legitimate rumor circulating. haven't seen it anywhere. have you?

guy tried to convince me last night that the cardinals would be stupid not to trade larry fitzgerald for kevin kolb - straight up.oh, and that this was a legitimate rumor circulating. haven't seen it anywhere. have you?
Fitzgerald's a beast, but that trade would make no sense for Philly. Not sure it would make sense for 'Zona either considering the ??? they have behind Fitz.

guy tried to convince me last night that the cardinals would be stupid not to trade larry fitzgerald for kevin kolb - straight up.oh, and that this was a legitimate rumor circulating. haven't seen it anywhere. have you?
Fitzgerald's a beast, but that trade would make no sense for Philly. Not sure it would make sense for 'Zona either considering the ??? they have behind Fitz.
The trade makes plenty of sense for both sides as Arizona is in re-building mode. They don't want to and won't part with Fitzgerald but they need a qb more than anything else. These days, quarterbacks are very tough to come by and that's why everyone says the Eagles will ask for 1st round pick. They probably will only get a 2nd but that's a good deal because I don't see as being anything special. This was a rumor from about a week ago or so when Fitzgerald was asked what quarterback the Cardinals should go after. He mentioned Kolb first before any other. I would prefer Matt Flynn before Kolb but then again he has all kinds of weapons to work with and a better team overall in the Pack.

The trade makes plenty of sense for both sides as Arizona is in re-building mode. They don't want to and won't part with Fitzgerald but they need a qb more than anything else. These days, quarterbacks are very tough to come by and that's why everyone says the Eagles will ask for 1st round pick. They probably will only get a 2nd but that's a good deal because I don't see as being anything special. This was a rumor from about a week ago or so when Fitzgerald was asked what quarterback the Cardinals should go after. He mentioned Kolb first before any other. I would prefer Matt Flynn before Kolb but then again he has all kinds of weapons to work with and a better team overall in the Pack.
Why would the Cardinals trade their best player instead of bringing in a QB who can actually throw to him? If they brought in Kolb, it would be the to throw to Fitz. They wouldn't trade Fitz to get Kolb. Makes no sense at all.

Why would the Cardinals trade their best player instead of bringing in a QB who can actually throw to him? If they brought in Kolb, it would be the to throw to Fitz. They wouldn't trade Fitz to get Kolb. Makes no sense at all.
It's called re-building. You trade a valuable piece for a future.

They were in the playoffs the previous year. They were in the super bowl the year before that. You only rebuild if the whole thing is rotten like the Panthers or Lions. You just retool if you need to repair some parts to get you back. You don't get rid of a useful piece to get better 4 years from now. The Cards play in the worst division in football. With a competent QB, they can be in the playoffs every year. Not a single chance they ever consider giving up Fitz unless someone offered 2 first rounders plus. It doesn't help them to lose him.

They were in the playoffs the previous year. They were in the super bowl the year before that. You only rebuild if the whole thing is rotten like the Panthers or Lions. You just retool if you need to repair some parts to get you back. You don't get rid of a useful piece to get better 4 years from now. The Cards play in the worst division in football. With a competent QB, they can be in the playoffs every year. Not a single chance they ever consider giving up Fitz unless someone offered 2 first rounders plus. It doesn't help them to lose him.

Quarterbacks are much harder to come by than receivers. Arizona has a few good receivers (not the skill or talent of Fitz, I know) but has difficulty finding a replacement QB for Kurt Warner. I realize a team can turn around quickly with a good qb but Arizona is bad all around. The defense is horrible and the offensive line is in shambles. If they draft a qb they are right back where they started with the 2 young qbs they have now.

too much quoted text to reply. this is in response to a Fitz for Kolb trade.

I'm in the same boat as you. When I first read about the idea of trading Fitz for Kolb I was taken back. I can't imagine that would be a consideration for Zona. Fitz will only be (just turning) 28 if the season starts in Sept. Kolb will just be turning 27. Why trade someone who is one of the best players in the league at his position for an unproven player at another to build around when they're just 1 year apart in age? The more I look at it the more this just makes absolutely no sense to me.

Why do quarterbacks get drafted in the top 5 of the NFL draft more than any other position in the NFL? Why do receivers and running backs mainly go near the end of the first round and second round?

Why do quarterbacks get drafted in the top 5 of the NFL draft more than any other position in the NFL? Why do receivers and running backs mainly go near the end of the first round and second round?
Fitzgerald was the 3rd pick and is arguably the best WR in the league.And the answer is money. QB's get paid big dollars so teams can justify it with a high pick. Thats why you don't see WR's and RB's going so high to keep the costs down.The bottomline from the ridiculous rumor is that Larry Fitz will not be traded for any player or group of players in the NFL.

Arizona asked Fitzgeralds opinion of who to get at QB next year. Theyre not going to go and trade him for who he suggested. They want someone to throw to Larry. Thats the whole point. Not too mention they could get a lot more than Kolb for him.

And Philly would trade a valuable young QB for a guy who plays at one of their deepest positions? You're going to relegate a younger stud (Maclin) to WR3, a decent slot guy to irrelevant, and forget about the promising young Riley Cooper?Sorry...this rumor makes ZERO sense for either team. Any trade with 'Zona would be for picks.Edited for clarity: Philly would almost certainly take this deal, as they could as much or more for Jackson or Maclin on the open market than Kolb....but WR is NOT a position Philly would target in trade talks.

And Philly would trade a valuable young QB for a guy who plays at one of their deepest positions? You're going to relegate a younger stud (Maclin) to WR3, a decent slot guy to irrelevant, and forget about the promising young Riley Cooper?Sorry...this rumor makes ZERO sense for either team. Any trade with 'Zona would be for picks.Edited for clarity: Philly would almost certainly take this deal, as they could as much or more for Jackson or Maclin on the open market than Kolb....but WR is NOT a position Philly would target in trade talks.
yea, don't see this happen. Could see Arizona trading for Kolb though - I think if he was their QB last year they are in the playoffs.

Eagles franchise tag Vick and transition tag Akers:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6123655
How does the "transition tag" work again?
It's similar to a franchise tag only it's equal to the average of the Top 10 at the position or a 20% increase depending. I'm fairly sure Akers is already among the highest paid kickers so assume this means a 20% bump in his salary. Akers can sign with another team, but Eagles get right to match.

Eagles have the right to match any offer he gets from another team, or Akers gets average of top ten at his position. Assuming this tag even exists in the next CBA.

Regarding all the speculation surrounding Kolb; isn't Kafka's development key to a trade? Reports from training camp last year were glowing. Sounded like he just needs a couple years to grow, similar to Kolb three years back. Vick (like most NFL QBs) will be hard pressed to survive a 16 or 18 game season. I don't think Reid is the type to pick up a journeyman type to back him up. Would the eagles be in serious trouble if Kafka came in for 3-4 games?

It's similar to a franchise tag only it's equal to the average of the Top 10 at the position or a 20% increase depending. I'm fairly sure Akers is already among the highest paid kickers so assume this means a 20% bump in his salary. Akers can sign with another team, but Eagles get right to match.
Akers would make roughly $3 million under the transition tag, up from a $1.65 million base salary last season.His agent, Jerrold Colton, said he was "disappointed" by the move.

"Our hope all along has been to come to a fair, long-term agreement for David to finish his career as a Philadelphia Eagle," Colton said. While the transition tag shows the team wants him back, Colton said, "it's not exactly the level of salary that we were looking to have."

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles...l#ixzz1E4Gl8hHO

I wonder how many kickers are making significantly more then 3 mil per.

Akers would make roughly $3 million under the transition tag, up from a $1.65 million base salary last season.His agent, Jerrold Colton, said he was "disappointed" by the move.

"Our hope all along has been to come to a fair, long-term agreement for David to finish his career as a Philadelphia Eagle," Colton said. While the transition tag shows the team wants him back, Colton said, "it's not exactly the level of salary that we were looking to have."

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles...l#ixzz1E4Gl8hHO

I wonder how many kickers are making significantly more then 3 mil per.
Seriously. $3mil a year for a kicker is a pretty good deal. Janikowski is scheduled to make $2mil next year and Al Davis purposely overpaid to make him the "highest paid kicker ever."

Anyone know what the Eagles FO are thinking in giving Vick the exclusive franchise tag vs the non-exclusive? -They don't want any risk of losing Vick for this season?

-Would it help or hinder the negotiations for signing Vick long-term?
There are a few subtle differences. An exclusive franchise tag means they'll pay Vick the average of the top 5 QBs for the current year, whereas a non-exclusive would pay him the average of the prior season. Basically that means that if Manning signs his tender and doesn't get a new deal before the season, they'll be paying Vick more than the stated $16mm, but if Manning signs a long-term extension and has a friendly 2011 cap number, the $16mm will actually go down some. The other thing is, as you said, the negotiations. Now from jump street the Eagles control Vick. No team can muck things up by giving him some huge deal and calling the Eagles bluff making them take two first rounders.

Jason Wood said:
fridayfrenzy said:

Anyone know what the Eagles FO are thinking in giving Vick the exclusive franchise tag vs the non-exclusive? -They don't want any risk of losing Vick for this season?

-Would it help or hinder the negotiations for signing Vick long-term?
There are a few subtle differences. An exclusive franchise tag means they'll pay Vick the average of the top 5 QBs for the current year, whereas a non-exclusive would pay him the average of the prior season. Basically that means that if Manning signs his tender and doesn't get a new deal before the season, they'll be paying Vick more than the stated $16mm, but if Manning signs a long-term extension and has a friendly 2011 cap number, the $16mm will actually go down some. The other thing is, as you said, the negotiations. Now from jump street the Eagles control Vick. No team can muck things up by giving him some huge deal and calling the Eagles bluff making them take two first rounders.
I would have let someone try to call that bluff.

No way Fitz is traded; he is the reason Kolb will be joining his Cardinals. Draft picks will be moved, not the player who is lobbying hardest for him.

No way Fitz is traded; he is the reason Kolb will be joining his Cardinals. Draft picks will be moved, not the player who is lobbying hardest for him.
I know that you are in the know, and while you can't breach any confidences, you make this sound semi-official. Just waiting on the CBA so players can be swapped for picks, I presume? Love to see a package involving KK and pick(s) for the 1.05. (although my heart still says trade Vick, build the O-Line and build with Kolb)If it happens best of luck to Kolb. The situation with McNabb and now Vick was not an easy spot for him, and I always thought he handled it with poise. For a guy with 6 career starts, he had some big moments, too.

Users who are viewing this thread