What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2011 Philadelphia Eagles Thread*** (3 Viewers)

Yeah, it's an 'extra' first. My buddy and rest of the staff are pretty frustrated right now because they really think they can get a good haul of picks for Kolb.
Has there been any talk about what the Eagles would do for backup QB if Kolb is traded? Would they be interested in Hasselbeck as part of a deal with Seattle? Any other QBs available that would fit the Eagles system but wouldn't cost much? A bit unsettling to think of Kafka as being the primary backup to Vick.
My friend works primarily on the draft side of things so I don't get much info from him about things that don't pertain to the draft. I do know that they like Kafka quite a bit but I'd be shocked if they don't get a Vet replacement for WHEN Vick goes down.
Hey DH,I'd be interested if any Hokie names are coming up - in particular either Evans or Tyrod Taylor.
... already have enough Hokie's ... thanks!

Yeah, it's an 'extra' first. My buddy and rest of the staff are pretty frustrated right now because they really think they can get a good haul of picks for Kolb.
Has there been any talk about what the Eagles would do for backup QB if Kolb is traded? Would they be interested in Hasselbeck as part of a deal with Seattle? Any other QBs available that would fit the Eagles system but wouldn't cost much? A bit unsettling to think of Kafka as being the primary backup to Vick.
My friend works primarily on the draft side of things so I don't get much info from him about things that don't pertain to the draft. I do know that they like Kafka quite a bit but I'd be shocked if they don't get a Vet replacement for WHEN Vick goes down.
Hey DH,I'd be interested if any Hokie names are coming up - in particular either Evans or Tyrod Taylor.
Just FYI:
Virginia Tech quarterback Tyrod Taylor is scheduled to visit the Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins and the Jacksonville Jaguars, according to an NFL source with knowledge of the situation.Taylor is also slated to conduct a private workout for the New Orleans Saints on March 28 and the Miami Dolphins on March 30.Taylor had breakfast with the San Diego Chargers before his Pro Day workout earlier this week and had an afternoon meeting with the Dolphins.He's regarded as a third to fifth-round draft target for NFL teams and is being evaluated as a quarterback. Taylor does offer positional versatility, but is expected to play quarterback primarily."It's hard to pass on a guy's athleticism like that," a source said. "People are excited about him."Taylor had an accurate throwing session at the NFL scouting combine, and the 6-foot-1, 217-pounder ran the 40-yard dash in 4.47 seconds and posted a 37 1/2 inch vertical leap, 10-06 broad jump and a 6.78 three-cone drill.Named the Atlantic Coast Conference Offensive Player of the Year, Taylor owns the Hokies' records for total offense, passing yards, rushing yards and touchdowns for a quarterback , touchdown passes in a season and career wins.Last season, he passed for 24 touchdowns and five interceptions, completing 172 of 284 passes.He draws high marks from speed and elusiveness, rushing for 637 yards and five touchdowns last season.Some draft analysts have knocked him for his throwing motion, but his accuracy has been sound.Two seasons ago, Taylor completed 136 of 243 throws for 2,311 yards, 13 touchdowns and five interceptons with 370 rushing yards.

Jeff's obsession with Tyrod is mystifying. As a QB3? OK, I guess. But the guy will be lucky not to be a street free agent.

Jeff's obsession with Tyrod is mystifying. As a QB3? OK, I guess. But the guy will be lucky not to be a street free agent.
He's a cheap / Day 3 pick who can easily be a QB2 next year (likely 2012). That's better than several of Philly's Day 3 picks of late.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very funny JAA....Taylor would make for a good backup for Vick.Evans would be a good pounding RB between the tackles.
In all seriousness, if we trade Kolb we cant go into the season with Kafka and a rookie as backups. I would expected a practice squad rookie, Kafka, and a Vet backing up Vick

He's a cheap / Day 3 pick who can easily be a QB2 next year (likely 2012). That's better than several of Philly's Day 3 picks of late.
That's where we respectfully disagree. When half the NFL doesn't even see QB as his future position, I'm not willing to view him as a possible QB2 on a contending team, much less my own contending team.

That's where we respectfully disagree. When half the NFL doesn't even see QB as his future position, I'm not willing to view him as a possible QB2 on a contending team, much less my own contending team.
I understand your concerns, but I have seen a lot of him, both live and on TV. He's underrated.

I understand your concerns, but I have seen a lot of him, both live and on TV. He's underrated.
Respect. And maybe he'll be something eventually. I just want a legitimate QB2, either in the form of a veteran or a higher, more pedigreed and proven passer in the draft.

'Jason Wood said:
'Jeff Pasquino said:
'Jason Wood said:
'Jeff Pasquino said:
'Jason Wood said:
Respect. And maybe he'll be something eventually. I just want a legitimate QB2, either in the form of a veteran or a higher, more pedigreed and proven passer in the draft.
The reason I keep bringing up his name is because if he is Vick's understudy (eventually) his game - while not at the same level, for sure - would allow for less changes to the overall offense. To put it another way, drafting a classic pocket passer to backup Vick isn't a good idea. A mobile QB is a better decision. Colin K in NV > Taylor, but I don't think Philly is going to draft a QB that high.

I agree with Pasquino, I think Taylor is being overlooked. I didn't see him in game action very much, but when I did he made plays on a regular basis. He's one of the guys that confuses me that he's ranked so low. His arm wasn't bad at the combine and his mobility is about as good as it gets.

'Jason Wood said:
:goodposting: I mostly agree with this. I do think he's worth a late round flyer because of his athleticism (as opposed to street FA), but I'd be very uncomfortable using him at QB anytime soon.

I honestly don't see Kolb going anywhere. The Eagles are never going to get fair value for him without being able to be traded for picks, that the Eagles get to pick. Unless a trade is agreed to with the Eagles telling a team who to pick and the trade goes through after a CBA, it isn't worth giving him up. He doesn't want to be here, but honestly does he have a choice?

I honestly don't see Kolb going anywhere. The Eagles are never going to get fair value for him without being able to be traded for picks, that the Eagles get to pick. Unless a trade is agreed to with the Eagles telling a team who to pick and the trade goes through after a CBA, it isn't worth giving him up. He doesn't want to be here, but honestly does he have a choice?
He's gone. I would be willing to bet money on it...

Not a good weekend for the Eagles- McCoy and Vick both skip speaking obligations and Peters is arrested. What is going on with our guys?
Jason Peters became the second Eagles offensive lineman arrested this offseason when he was charged with disturbing the peace and resisting arrest late Friday night in Shreveport, La., police said.Peters was in Shreveport as a celebrity guest at the Bay Bay Birthday Bash at the Kokopellis nightclub.

According to the police report, Peters was asked to turn down the loud music blaring from his car. He refused and said he was going to park.

He also declined to provide his identification when asked by police, leading to the resisting charge.

Peters was booked, given a summons and released Saturday.

Earlier this month, King Dunlap was arrested and charged with reckless driving and disorderly conduct when he pulled his car onto the sidewalk outside the SEC women's basketball tournament in Nashville, Tenn., and refused to move when asked by police.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20110328_Eagles__Peters_arrested_for_playing_loud_music.html#ixzz1HubQGmIF

What is it with these guys refusing police orders? Refusing to produce ID and refusing to move your car?

The Peters thing is no big deal, he'll get a slap on the wrist. And he doesn't have a history of getting in trouble off the field so I'm sure it's not something to worry about.

'Amused to Death said:
Not a good weekend for the Eagles- McCoy and Vick both skip speaking obligations and Peters is arrested. What is going on with our guys?
Jason Peters became the second Eagles offensive lineman arrested this offseason when he was charged with disturbing the peace and resisting arrest late Friday night in Shreveport, La., police said.Peters was in Shreveport as a celebrity guest at the Bay Bay Birthday Bash at the Kokopellis nightclub.

According to the police report, Peters was asked to turn down the loud music blaring from his car. He refused and said he was going to park.

He also declined to provide his identification when asked by police, leading to the resisting charge.

Earlier this month, King Dunlap was arrested and charged with reckless driving and disorderly conduct when he pulled his car onto the sidewalk outside the SEC women's basketball tournament in Nashville, Tenn., and refused to move when asked by police.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20110328_Eagles__Peters_arrested_for_playing_loud_music.html#ixzz1HubQGmIF

What is it with these guys refusing police orders? Refusing to produce ID and refusing to move your car?
While its easier to go along with the police for your own sanity, they really have no authority to ask for your ID without probable cause. Its just a PIA to goto court later to prove the officer was being a jerk. Its a catch 22. You would eventually be proven right but do you want to go through the hassle of all that to get there. As for King, he probably shouldn't have parked on the curb.

How much?
If we were friends in "real life", $20.
That's what I thought. Nothin. 20 bucks is a prayer not confidence. I don't understand how the Eagles are supposed to get anything they want when the lockout prevents them from getting anything they want. Have to pull some hijinx to get this done.
If you knew me at all, you would realize a $20 bet from me requires near 100% confidence...seriously.

How much?
If we were friends in "real life", $20.
That's what I thought. Nothin. 20 bucks is a prayer not confidence. I don't understand how the Eagles are supposed to get anything they want when the lockout prevents them from getting anything they want. Have to pull some hijinx to get this done.
If you knew me at all, you would realize a $20 bet from me requires near 100% confidence...seriously.
if the players win in court won't free agency and trades be open?

Bud Adams seems to think we'll have a season, one way or another. I sure hope he's right because I want to collect on this Kolb bounty we have looming.

'Amused to Death said:

While its easier to go along with the police for your own sanity, they really have no authority to ask for your ID without probable cause. Its just a PIA to goto court later to prove the officer was being a jerk. Its a catch 22. You would eventually be proven right but do you want to go through the hassle of all that to get there. As for King, he probably shouldn't have parked on the curb.
If I'm remembering correctly, Dunlap was parked there to pick up a disabled relative, and the cop instead of being helpful, was being a jerk. Don't know what Peters' deal was, from the blurb sounds like he should have just went along and avoided trouble.

The reason I keep bringing up his name is because if he is Vick's understudy (eventually) his game - while not at the same level, for sure - would allow for less changes to the overall offense. To put it another way, drafting a classic pocket passer to backup Vick isn't a good idea. A mobile QB is a better decision. Colin K in NV > Taylor, but I don't think Philly is going to draft a QB that high.
Isn't Kolb a pocket passer? Not to say he doesn't have some wheels himself, but at one point Vick was the backup to Kevin.In the year Philly went to the SB, McNabb only rushed for 220 yards. I think this offense can do just fine without a Shelby Twin Turbo under center.

'Eagle Green said:
Isn't Kolb a pocket passer? Not to say he doesn't have some wheels himself, but at one point Vick was the backup to Kevin.In the year Philly went to the SB, McNabb only rushed for 220 yards. I think this offense can do just fine without a Shelby Twin Turbo under center.
One thing most are overlooking is the fact that Vick is a lefty. If they are intent on making the RT more of their blind side protection (as they should) then a lefty understudy would also make more sense.I'm not saying that's a must, but it should be a little bit of the consideration.

I've looked for a list of lefty QBs but I can't find one. There may not be very many at all so it could be a moot point.

One thing most are overlooking is the fact that Vick is a lefty. If they are intent on making the RT more of their blind side protection (as they should) then a lefty understudy would also make more sense.I'm not saying that's a must, but it should be a little bit of the consideration.

I've looked for a list of lefty QBs but I can't find one. There may not be very many at all so it could be a moot point.
Disagree. I wouldn't look at it this way at all. 10:1 odds that you find a lefty in a group of people. Odds are a little better I guess since you're looking for a lefty that could be a backup or starter...but I wouldn't give it any consideration at all. When do you stop? If you did perhaps find a lefty understudy, and vick retires in 3 years, would you still go out and find one?

T&P to Jason Avant and his family.http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/02/father-of-jason-avant-killed-in-car-crash/
the rumor at the poker room tonight was that it was jason avant who was killed. Agreed, T&P to the Avant family.

Unfortunately, as we talked about for months now, the Eagles are really being hurt by the labor strife. There's no question the trade demand for Kolb would've made even his biggest fans appreciate the haul we could've gotten back, but right now we're stuck with him as out backup, and are almost assuredly going to lose him next year without compensation barring some Vick injury/meltdown during 2011 that re-opens the door for Kolb to be our starter.

Unfortunately, as we talked about for months now, the Eagles are really being hurt by the labor strife. There's no question the trade demand for Kolb would've made even his biggest fans appreciate the haul we could've gotten back, but right now we're stuck with him as out backup, and are almost assuredly going to lose him next year without compensation barring some Vick injury/meltdown during 2011 that re-opens the door for Kolb to be our starter.
Just read this article, which suggests that Kolb will still be traded before the 2011 season to avoid the scenario of not getting anything for him. Assuming the Eagles are primarily interested in obtaining something that will help them this season, the trade would have to involve a pretty good player from another team. Any ideas about who Arizona (or Minny or Cleveland, etc.) might be willing to give up?<http://articles.philly.com/2011-04-17/sports/29427970_1_draft-prospects-eagles-backup-quarterback-howie-roseman>

Just read this article, which suggests that Kolb will still be traded before the 2011 season to avoid the scenario of not getting anything for him. Assuming the Eagles are primarily interested in obtaining something that will help them this season, the trade would have to involve a pretty good player from another team. Any ideas about who Arizona (or Minny or Cleveland, etc.) might be willing to give up?<http://articles.philly.com/2011-04-17/sports/29427970_1_draft-prospects-eagles-backup-quarterback-howie-roseman>
I don't disagree that if the labor situation is cleared up early enough to allow a period of free agency, Kolb will still be in the market. But presumably the potential value we would get in return will be greatly diminished as teams will have less opportunity to acclimate Kolb to their offense and try him out before having to commit to a large extension.

Let alone the market being diminished once alot of the teams in the market for a QB use an early 2011 pick on one. What absolutely lousy timing for all of this to go down. :rant: :wall: :hot:

Seems like CB Jimmy Smith is being mocked to the Eagles in the first by most experts. As long as the "he's a headcase" rumors are overblown, I'd be happy with a corner as that's a huge need.

As for Kolb, odds are high that he goes. I really hope that he can be traded prior to the draft still, but odds are that's not going to happen. I'd expect him to be dealt for at least a first in 2012.

Don't be surprised if the Eagles draft a running back to compliment McCoy. They have to assume Harrison isn't coming back. Aside from backup QB and O-line, I'd expect most draft picks to be defense aside from a RB.

Seems like CB Jimmy Smith is being mocked to the Eagles in the first by most experts. As long as the "he's a headcase" rumors are overblown, I'd be happy with a corner as that's a huge need.As for Kolb, odds are high that he goes. I really hope that he can be traded prior to the draft still, but odds are that's not going to happen. I'd expect him to be dealt for at least a first in 2012.Don't be surprised if the Eagles draft a running back to compliment McCoy. They have to assume Harrison isn't coming back. Aside from backup QB and O-line, I'd expect most draft picks to be defense aside from a RB.
You need your CB's to have a little bit of attitude to them. As long as he's not Shawn Andrews headcase and just normal CB diva headcase, it should be fine if he can play. As for Kolb, if he can be traded right after the draft, I think a 2012 1st + a 2nd isn't out of the realm. Still enough time to get a guy acclimated and teams that didn't grab a rookie QB (or even those that did) will still need a veteran starter. At that point, I don't think any player will be equal value back for Kolb. they should try to get as many 2012 picks as possible for him and move on.

Agreed with Jeff P that Jimmy Smith seems to be one of those guys that most people mocking have the Eagles taking. FWIW, Kiper (I know, I know) said this morning that Jimmy has really benefited from background checks and team meetings and is now much higher on boards than his off-the-field risks would've originally indicated, and he made the point that now the lowest he'll go is to Philly. So I'm going to assume we don't get Smith.

I really think we'll grab an OT in the 1st unless we move from our current spot.

Jimmy Smith reminds me a bit of Bobby Taylor - I wonder if the Eagles agree. I would think he would be the pick at 23. But if he is gone, I wonder if they would take Ras-I Dowling instead (I would be on board with that)? There is no way he will be there 54, IMO.

Interesting schedule:

Week 1 - at STL

Week 2 - at ATL (SNF)

Week 3 - NYG

Week 4 - SF

Week 5 - at BUF (Says Orchard Park, not Toronto - WASH @ BUF is in Toronto)

Week 6 - at WASH

Week 7 - BYE

Week 8 - DAL (SNF)

Week 9 - CHI (MNF)

Week 10 - AZ

Week 11 - at NYG (SNF)

Week 12 - NE (4PM home game)

Week 13 - at SEA (Thursday - tough trip)

Week 14 - at MIA

Week 15 - NYJ (4PM home game)

Week 16 - at DAL (4PM Saturday - Christmas Eve)

Week 17 - WASH (New Year's Day - Mummer Game)

Two on road, two at home, two on road then a bye. Two prime time big games after the bye week then hosting AZ for an early kickoff - that's 3 home games after they bye. If they can win 4 before the bye they could seize command of the NFC at home with those three games. Then it gets tougher (@NYG, home vs. NE, short week and a trip to SEA). Miami in December is good, then the Jets and at Dallas with the 'skins at home to close.

I can't handle the silence any longer.

The Lock Out is making me hate the owners. And dislike the players. But enough with that. Now that we know Kolb will not be moved during the draft, what could the Eagles pull off? Is it possible that the Eagles could swing a deal with Az or Cin to get Peterson? Give #1.23, 2012 #1 and say 4th rounder this year. Ar and Howie would have to know that Kolb would get them a 2012 first rounder in return. Even could get the pick back from AZ or Cin. If the Eagles do not take a CB high I have to assume they are going hard after N Asomogha.

DH any info?

I can't handle the silence any longer.The Lock Out is making me hate the owners. And dislike the players. But enough with that. Now that we know Kolb will not be moved during the draft, what could the Eagles pull off? Is it possible that the Eagles could swing a deal with Az or Cin to get Peterson? Give #1.23, 2012 #1 and say 4th rounder this year. Ar and Howie would have to know that Kolb would get them a 2012 first rounder in return. Even could get the pick back from AZ or Cin. If the Eagles do not take a CB high I have to assume they are going hard after N Asomogha. DH any info?
I personally think draft wise this has to be an aggressive one. This team NEEDS playmakers on defense. If there's a guy that they see as a true playmaker they need to go get him at any cost.

It should give the eagles a chance to trade now. NFL access is on in 15 minutes so we'll see what they say but I think kolb is gone.

Users who are viewing this thread