What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2011 Philadelphia Eagles Thread*** (1 Viewer)

I'm surprised, but if the teams can definitely trade right now, we need to GET 'ER DONE :pickle:
After a discussion I had yesterday night, I don't think the Eagles will 'break rank' and trade Kolb. The owners have too much to lose here and "there's less than a 1% chance that ANYONE will trade anything but picks in the draft".

I'm surprised, but if the teams can definitely trade right now, we need to GET 'ER DONE :pickle:
After a discussion I had yesterday night, I don't think the Eagles will 'break rank' and trade Kolb. The owners have too much to lose here and "there's less than a 1% chance that ANYONE will trade anything but picks in the draft".
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :lmao: It's unfortunate but Kolb is being traded for 2012 picks, not 2011. How talented is next years draft looking?

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :lmao: It's unfortunate but Kolb is being traded for 2012 picks, not 2011. How talented is next years draft looking?
On Sirius NFL this AM they said that its very doubtful that teams will be trading for 2012 draft picks. They feel there is a very real possability that there may not be a 2012 draft, so the risk is too high.

:sadbanana:
On Sirius NFL this AM they said that its very doubtful that teams will be trading for 2012 draft picks. They feel there is a very real possability that there may not be a 2012 draft, so the risk is too high.

They dont feel they have anything to lose being in contempt of a federal courts order?

They dont feel they have anything to lose being in contempt of a federal courts order?
:confused: I'm not sure what you're saying here. They don't HAVE to trade Kolb, he's their employee under contract. No one wants to trade for future picks as there's no guarentee there will even be a draft next year (although we all THINK there will be). No one wants to trade players now as there could be legal ramifications in doing so (unless Kolb signs off on the deal, which would likely happen). EVERY team will have these roadblocks, so who knows what will happen?

With no CBA in place they are not allowed to trade 2012 picks (or 2013).Once the owners realize that they have to get back to the table and negotiate the next CBA then Kolb will get dealt.

So what are the thoughts here - Jimmy Smith? I'd be okay with him as they sure need CB help. I'm not worried about the pick if they agree that they like him. Philly has taken DeSean (had some pre-draft concerns) and he's been fine, and they reclaimed Vick. The organization is strong enough to nurture and support Smith if they feel he is worth the effort and can be turned into a true pro.

Otherwise, the pick at 23 has to be O-line. Camini, Solder, Sherrod

If all 3 OTs are gone then I'd expect a trade down.

So what are the thoughts here - Jimmy Smith? I'd be okay with him as they sure need CB help. I'm not worried about the pick if they agree that they like him. Philly has taken DeSean (had some pre-draft concerns) and he's been fine, and they reclaimed Vick. The organization is strong enough to nurture and support Smith if they feel he is worth the effort and can be turned into a true pro_Otherwise, the pick at 23 has to be O-line. Camini, Solder, SherrodIf all 3 OTs are gone then I'd expect a trade down.
From what I've heard, you are pretty spot on with your assessment. If the 3 OT's you listed are gone, look for them to go with a CB (not necessarily Smith, although he'd make the most sense). They also like Pouncey's brother.

So what are the thoughts here - Jimmy Smith? I'd be okay with him as they sure need CB help. I'm not worried about the pick if they agree that they like him. Philly has taken DeSean (had some pre-draft concerns) and he's been fine, and they reclaimed Vick. The organization is strong enough to nurture and support Smith if they feel he is worth the effort and can be turned into a true pro_Otherwise, the pick at 23 has to be O-line. Camini, Solder, SherrodIf all 3 OTs are gone then I'd expect a trade down.
BTW did everyone see the PFT item on Jimmy Smith this morning? 3 failed drug test at CU, coedine "abuse", etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I've heard, you are pretty spot on with your assessment. If the 3 OT's you listed are gone, look for them to go with a CB (not necessarily Smith, although he'd make the most sense). They also like Pouncey's brother.
Would they trade up for Peterson or Amukumara?

BTW did everyone see the PFT item on Jimmy Smith this morning? 3 failed drug test at CU, coedine "abuse", etc...
Scary. Real scary. 11 of 24 personel guys polled wouldn't take him in the 2nd rd.

I really hope they don't take Jimmy Smith, and I'm a CU Buffs fan.

Very much hoping we take a starting caliber OL. I would be thrilled if we come out of this draft with two or three OL prospects, including someone that could start inside right away (e.g., Pouncey or Carimi) and then some LB/CB depth.

I don't think we need to focus on skill positions at all, although I imagine Andy will take at least one QB under the premise we'll be dealing Kolb eventually.

If they were able to pull the trigger on the Kolb trade, those were the players they would have taken. SF and TEN were both very interested in Kolb.

I really hope they don't take Jimmy Smith, and I'm a CU Buffs fan. Very much hoping we take a starting caliber OL. I would be thrilled if we come out of this draft with two or three OL prospects, including someone that could start inside right away (e.g., Pouncey or Carimi) and then some LB/CB depth.I don't think we need to focus on skill positions at all, although I imagine Andy will take at least one QB under the premise we'll be dealing Kolb eventually.
Pretty good analysis but do you consider CB a skill position? Because we definitely need that. I guess they think they'll have a real shot at Nnamdi once they get all this sorted out. Or they'll bring back Ellis Hobbs. Same thing right?

With no CBA in place they are not allowed to trade 2012 picks (or 2013).
Thats not my understanding of it. Not mention why would they be able to trade 2011 picks during a draft that has no CBA?
Until the lockout is resolved, players can’t be traded. Draft picks can be traded.Future draft picks, beyond 2011, also can be traded. But an ominous caveat comes from ESPN’s Chris Mortensen.Per Mort, the league has advised teams that any trades of draft picks beyond 2011 will occur “at [their] own risk.”In other words, there may not be a draft in 2012.

I really hope they don't take Jimmy Smith, and I'm a CU Buffs fan. Very much hoping we take a starting caliber OL. I would be thrilled if we come out of this draft with two or three OL prospects, including someone that could start inside right away (e.g., Pouncey or Carimi) and then some LB/CB depth.I don't think we need to focus on skill positions at all, although I imagine Andy will take at least one QB under the premise we'll be dealing Kolb eventually.
Pretty good analysis but do you consider CB a skill position? Because we definitely need that. I guess they think they'll have a real shot at Nnamdi once they get all this sorted out. Or they'll bring back Ellis Hobbs. Same thing right?
I didn't mean CB as a skill position in the context of my response, I meant offensive skill positions. I think we need at least one CB, but we have an entire draft to focus on that. I just don't want them getting aggressive for Jimmy Smith, particularly.

Damn that syzzurup I was talking myself into Smith all week.

What if the potential qb frenzy has a pass rusher fall into range for the birds?

Since I guess no owners have any guts/respect for the Law and no trades or signings are going to happen until Sunday at least here are my thoughts:

We need a starting caliber CB (even if we sign someone as a FA eventually). If that means trading up for Peterson or Amukumara, great. If that means staying put and taking Smith, great. If that means reaching a bit in the 1st or waiting until the 2nd for Ras-I Dowling, great. If that means rolling the dice and taking my #5 CB Davin House, cool. Just please dont bet the farm on Demarcus Van Dyke (or Brandon Harris).

They will certainly be taking a QB since Kolb will be gone eventually, and one or 2 O-Linemen, I fugure. The rest of the picks (assuming they keep them all) will be used on D-Line, OLB and S. I say give Will Hill or Mark LaGree a whirl sometime Saturday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I guess no owners have any guts/respect for the Law and no trades or signings are going to happen until Sunday at least here are my thoughts:We need a starting caliber CB (even if we sign someone as a FA eventually). If that means trading up for Peterson or Amukumara, great. If that means staying put and taking Smith, great. If that means reaching a bit in the 1st or waiting until the 2nd for Ras-I Dowling, great. If that means rolling the dice and taking my #5 CB Davin House, cool. Just please dont bet the farm on Demarcus Van Dyke (or Brandon Harris). They will certainly be taking a QB since Kolb will be gone eventually, and one or 2 O-Linemen, I fugure. The rest of the picks (assuming they keep them all) will be used on D-Line, OLB and S. I say give Will Hill or Mark LaGree a whirl sometime Saturday.
Agreed, I think Smith or if they can some how get up high enough to grab Amukumara of even Peterson will be the pick but it wouldn't shock me if they took an O-lineman with there first and tried for Ras-I dowling in the second. I actually wouldn't mind that since we can't trade Kolb for anything this year.

'Deranged Hermit said:
'zadok said:
'Deranged Hermit said:
'Jeff Pasquino said:
If they were able to pull the trigger on the Kolb trade, those were the players they would have taken. SF and TEN were both very interested in Kolb.
Just a thought here, but with the league nearly certain to open now, I would not be surprised at all for SF or AZ to take Peterson and then trade him to Philadelphia tomorrow for Kolb (or something).

'zadok said:
'Jeff Pasquino said:
With no CBA in place they are not allowed to trade 2012 picks (or 2013).
Not true at all. It would be a risk since there is no guarantee of future drafts at this point, but they could do it.
I read this based off of a link in another thread (can't find it and it's way too big to search).

'Insein said:
'Jason Wood said:
I'm sure my GB Woodrow here means "skill" to be a player who touches the ball / fantasy offensive guy (QB/RB/WR/TE).IMHO I think the Eagles do draft a RB (at least one) on Day 3.

'Mighty Mice said:
I know I was upset with how the draft went last year nabbing all those DL/LB prospect players. I think all of us Eagles fans want to see some retuning of the offensive line. Specifically RT (regardless of Vick being lefty), Guard, and C. That said, did you know how well the Eagles offense was last season? Regardless of who was running the ball, the Eagles averaged 145 rushing yards per game. The Eagles had 2300 yards rushing this season, comparing that to last season of 1600. That is significant. I dont feel its necessary to discuss how well the passing offense is as AR will always put up numbers there and I dont think any Eagles fan would prefer to see passing numbers go ahead of rushing numbers, QB injuries aside. So, the Eagles could look for OT with their pick? If we can land one of the top 5 (Smith, Castonzo, Carimi, Solder, Sherrod) do we pull the trigger? If we did, I doubt any Eagles fan would be upset. But looking at the teams needs, it should be clear to most that the OL is not 'the' most important need for the team.What is the Eagles most pressing need?The Eagles had 39 sacks last season. 10 of those were from Cole. That tied the Eagles for 10th(3) place.Team defense, tied for 21st(2)Rushing yards against, 15thPassing yards against, tied 14th(2)Rushing TDs against, tied 16th(2)Passing TDs against, tied 29th(2)So the most glaring issue I can see is passing TDs against. I beleive this to be a factor of getting the defense off the field, not necessarily giving up big plays in the secondary. Also, when in the Red Zone, teams felt like the could abuse the Eagles secondary. This should include pass rush and safety/nickel help. Meaning, when you are in the red zone, your corners arent having to run 40 yards to keep up with WRs.What does this mean for the draft? The Eagles will take an OL ...lol, seriously though. All signs point toward a corner being taken. Do the Eagles like Smith? Im not sure they can as the reading I have been doing suggests he is more of a project that needs a year or so. I believe the Eagles need a player to step in immediately. I believe this leads up towards Peterson or Prince. I dont believe either of these players can be drafted without trading up. I believe both of these players are worth trading up for ... even Peterson who will cost a lot. I believe we see a trade of picks, which will look expensive on paper, to get one of these players. I believe that the Eagles reasoning is they will be able to recoup that cost with an eventual Kolb trade.In conclusion, the Eagles will trade up for an immediate impact CB. This is a position of need as well as the trade will be hedged with an eventual Kolb trade. If Peterson is available from Ari, I think its a no brainer. My mock drafting has Buf with Peterson, which leaves Prince. Im not sure Prince is worth the 1.05 as there will be some sick talent still avail, but I could see the 1.07 to SF.If the Eagles dont trade for either Peterson or Prince, I think leads us away from Jimmy Smith and towards a top5 OT.... anyone notice the lack of top tier LBs in the draft?
Well thought out posting. I agree with lots here, but in my layman's opinion, Vick masked lots of O-line issues. Kolb couldn't stay upright with this O-Line. This line is in need of a serious overhaul. No more signing vets coming off injuries who are available at a discount (Andrews). No more 7th round projects (Dunlap). No more injured players who the team says will be ready (Jackson). Our starting LT got benched. In the playoffs. Because he was terrible. We have no depth there. And I question the overall talent of this group. Vick buying time made it look better. KK getting concussed was not a fluke...he was running for his life the entire first quarter against the Pack (and it's not like Reid did him any favors, like calling a run play or a screen). Fix the line, and the whole show runs better. McCoy is better. VIck is better. DJax gets downfield on double moves more. I would not complain about a CB and I still want a LB who can play the run and the pass, but it all starts in the trenches. I want an O-Lineman in the first and secondary help either in the 2nd/3rd or in FA. My .02. If a CB is there they have to get, I can live with it...but that makes O-Line a priority in round 2 and FA IMO.
Maybe, but have you looked at how well our offense performed this year? What more do you expect? Im not attacking you, its a serious question as there is not that much room for improvement.WOuld I love to have Nate Solder? I really would. However, I would rather fix the really bad parts of the team, the Defense.

Since I guess no owners have any guts/respect for the Law and no trades or signings are going to happen until Sunday at least here are my thoughts:We need a starting caliber CB (even if we sign someone as a FA eventually). If that means trading up for Peterson or Amukumara, great. If that means staying put and taking Smith, great. If that means reaching a bit in the 1st or waiting until the 2nd for Ras-I Dowling, great. If that means rolling the dice and taking my #5 CB Davin House, cool. Just please dont bet the farm on Demarcus Van Dyke (or Brandon Harris). They will certainly be taking a QB since Kolb will be gone eventually, and one or 2 O-Linemen, I fugure. The rest of the picks (assuming they keep them all) will be used on D-Line, OLB and S. I say give Will Hill or Mark LaGree a whirl sometime Saturday.
I dont see Andy Reid drafting Jimmy Smith 2

'Deranged Hermit said:
'zadok said:
'Deranged Hermit said:
'Jeff Pasquino said:
Just a thought here, but with the league nearly certain to open now, I would not be surprised at all for SF or AZ to take Peterson and then trade him to Philadelphia tomorrow for Kolb (or something).
This is my thinking. Arizona takes Peterson and we take who Arizona wants with our #1 and then come Monday we make the trade.

'Deranged Hermit said:
This is my thinking. Arizona takes Peterson and we take who Arizona wants with our #1 and then come Monday we make the trade.
It almost seems too easy.

'Deranged Hermit said:
'zadok said:
'Deranged Hermit said:
'Jeff Pasquino said:
I was wondering if something like this could happen as well. I would suppose they could actually make the trade Friday after they get the guidelines from the NFL. Would be awesome, but seems too easy as noted above.

'Deranged Hermit said:
'zadok said:
'Deranged Hermit said:
'Jeff Pasquino said:
I was wondering if something like this could happen as well. I would suppose they could actually make the trade Friday after they get the guidelines from the NFL. Would be awesome, but seems too easy as noted above.
I can't recall if this has happened (draft then trade) since maybe Eli Manning?

'Deranged Hermit said:
'zadok said:
'Deranged Hermit said:
'Jeff Pasquino said:
Sal Pal said he spoke with a GM and he said you CANNOT trade an unsigned player (Peterson) for a signed player (Kolb).

'Deranged Hermit said:
'zadok said:
'Deranged Hermit said:
'Jeff Pasquino said:
Sal Pal said he spoke with a GM and he said you CANNOT trade an unsigned player (Peterson) for a signed player (Kolb).
not doubting what you heard, but why? You are trading the rights to sign player A for player B

I heard the same from Sal Pal. He said he asked that exact question to a GM and that GM said you can't deal a signed player for an unsigned player.

He also said that we're more then likely going to keep Kolb because we won't get fair value right now.

How about trading Kolb for a 2012 first, then using that pick to get CB Janoris Jenkins in the supplemental draft? Everything I've read says he's a first-round caliber talent. Would be a way to get value for Kolb that can help us this year.

'Deranged Hermit said:
'zadok said:
'Deranged Hermit said:
'Jeff Pasquino said:
TODAY. ;)

Can't think of why Zona couldn't trade the #5 for "future considerations". Or for 2012 1 and 3, which we then re-aquire trading Kolb later.

Lots of ways around this (silly) restriction.

There's a lot of guys left for us but there seems to be no aggression on our part. Fairly staying that long will hurt. We should have dealt with Minnesota.

The Prince is still out there...no way he lasts to 23...right?

What if Bowers is there for us? I don't think Andy could resist...

There's a lot of guys left for us but there seems to be no aggression on our part. Fairly staying that long will hurt. We should have dealt with Minnesota.
We truthfully have no idea how aggressive they have been.
No we don't but I can't imagine a guy like Fairley wasn't high on their board and I can't imagine that they didn't have enough to go up and get him. We haven't had a pass rushing DT IN YEARS!I just want difference makers and what I feel we're gonna get is a trade back and more BS tweeners and guys that just don't make it.

Surprised the didn't move up just a few picks for Prince. I guess we wait & see. Only positive about if the go Smith, is that I heard a report comparing him to Sheldon Brown

Users who are viewing this thread