What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2013 Seattle Seahawks **** (2 Viewers)

Who do they have a realistic shot of getting? Flynn, Mario Williams, resign Red, get a decent WR to go opposite Rice?
They will look at all those guys but in the end I don't think they will get any of them. The price tag will probably be too high. I think Flynn goes to Miami, Red to the Patriots or another team who falls in love with him (and way overpays), and Mario to ATL .... I don't think he wants to come to South East Alaska and will choose to use us as a way to bid up other people. We will also lose Hawthorn. Then we continue to build through the draft. Get a QB in the mid rounds (who ever they have their eye on), draft a DE in the 1st round or a WR to go opposite rice and draft/sign a few middle tier LBers.

Forgot about Hawthorne. He seemed like he took a step back last year. Wouldn't mind having him back, but it seemed to me like he was becoming a liability on passing downs. If we lose him and Leroy, then we are going to need to draft or sign a couple of linebackers cause that will be a huge hole.

I just hope they can upgrade at QB, pass rusher and WR somehow. I think with those three positions better, it will do the most to make them contenders for the division. I'm going to hate losing Red if we do. Such a solid guy, but probably more expensive than the Hawks want to pay him.

1. My gut tells me they let Bryant walk and pay Williams a ton of money. No way they're going to pay them both a ton to play the same position.

2. They move Wright to the inside and let Hawthorne walk. Open competition at the OLB spots.

3. First round pick goes in a QB. They have to pull the string at some point and I doubt they go after Flynn.

In addition to the Jaguars, free agent QB Chad Henne will reportedly visit the Seahawks.Despite coach Pete Carroll's unflagging support of Tarvaris Jackson, Seattle is reportedly interested in both Henne and Matt Flynn. NFL Network's Jeff Darlington reports the Jets share an interest in Henne, but will wait to see if his asking price drops.
:unsure:

In addition to the Jaguars, free agent QB Chad Henne will reportedly visit the Seahawks.Despite coach Pete Carroll's unflagging support of Tarvaris Jackson, Seattle is reportedly interested in both Henne and Matt Flynn. NFL Network's Jeff Darlington reports the Jets share an interest in Henne, but will wait to see if his asking price drops.
:unsure:
Why are they trying to corner the market on mediocre QB's when this is a passing league now? They will get absolutely nowhere if their starter is TJack or Henne. First clipboard Jesus, then TJack, and now Henne??? Not looking good right now... :wall:

Last edited by a moderator:
Lombardi reporting Red is comming back. I like it, but we still need a pass rusher cause Red is more a run stuffer than a QB pressure guy.

'Seatown Mofos said:
Lombardi reporting Red is comming back. I like it, but we still need a pass rusher cause Red is more a run stuffer than a QB pressure guy.
Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefterRed Bryant re-signing with Seattle: 5 years, $35 million, including $14.5 million gtd.
Good deal for the Hawks.

Flynn coming in for a visit. :rolleyes:

If he would sign for $5-$7mil a year I'd be ok with it....I can't see giving a huge contract to someone with 2 games behind them.

'ImTheScientist said:
Flynn coming in for a visit. :rolleyes: If he would sign for $5-$7mil a year I'd be ok with it....I can't see giving a huge contract to someone with 2 games behind them.
I'm actually happy to hear that he is comming in for a visit, and I do hope they end up signing him. I would be willing to go even a little more for him, nothing crazy, but I could see 8 or 9 a year. And that still leaves us with plenty to sign other free agents. I think he will be a huge improvement over Tavaras and give us at the minimum a competent starting QB. That alone wins us a couple more games, and now we're talking competing for the division again.

'ImTheScientist said:
Flynn coming in for a visit. :rolleyes: If he would sign for $5-$7mil a year I'd be ok with it....I can't see giving a huge contract to someone with 2 games behind them.
I'm actually happy to hear that he is comming in for a visit, and I do hope they end up signing him. I would be willing to go even a little more for him, nothing crazy, but I could see 8 or 9 a year. And that still leaves us with plenty to sign other free agents. I think he will be a huge improvement over Tavaras and give us at the minimum a competent starting QB. That alone wins us a couple more games, and now we're talking competing for the division again.
Matt Flynn is growing more and more on me, I think we make this deal. Word is that the market is souring on him, hopefully making him cheaper.

NFL Network's Steve Wyche reports free agent TE Visanthe Shiancoe will visit the Seahawks "within the next few days."Shiancoe could follow Tarvaris Jackson and Sidney Rice to "Vikings West" under former coordinator Darrell Bevell. The Seahawks wanted John Carlson back to run two-tight end sets with Zach Miller. That could end up Shiancoe's role instead.

Free agent QB Matt Flynn is not expected to receive "starter" money if he signs with the Seahawks.

Flynn is still waiting for the Peyton Manning drama to play out to see if his market develops. In the mean time, the Seahawks' moves to bring in Flynn and Chad Henne suggest they're looking for a quarterback to compete with Tarvaris Jackson rather become the face of the franchise.
:thumbup:

Seahawks signed DL Jason Jones, formerly of the Titans, to a one-year contract.Easily the top defensive lineman left on the market, Jones will head to the Pacific Northwest after failing to reach an agreement with his former coach Jeff Fisher's Rams. One of the more underrated players in the league, Jones is capable of playing both tackle and end, but prefers tackle. That should be where he suits up in Seattle with Chris Clemons and Red Bryant entrenched at end. A return to his preferred position could lead to a much bigger payday for Jones next offseason.
Championship.

Clemons, Bryant, Mebane, and Jones is a hell of a foursome guys.

Great addition.

Now talk to Pete and see if you can arrange some catches for Zach this season, would ya?

Seahawks signed DL Jason Jones, formerly of the Titans, to a one-year contract.Easily the top defensive lineman left on the market, Jones will head to the Pacific Northwest after failing to reach an agreement with his former coach Jeff Fisher's Rams. One of the more underrated players in the league, Jones is capable of playing both tackle and end, but prefers tackle. That should be where he suits up in Seattle with Chris Clemons and Red Bryant entrenched at end. A return to his preferred position could lead to a much bigger payday for Jones next offseason.
Championship.
I'm glad they signed him, but its not like he's a giant upgrade over Branch. Actually, I still expect Branch to play run downs and Jones to play more on passing downs. Their stats from last year are very similar.

Nice to see this:

from Peter King:

Talked to Flynn. Said a big factor in Sea over Mia was vibe in the building in Seattle: "The coaches, the staff--they were fantastic.''

Gallery cut. Making way for Hutch?
Probably....the undertaker did his job by coaching up the young guys on cables system....now time for Hutch to teach them badassary.
Yes, great job Gallery. Fantastic job!
He was a HUGE help with the young guys teaching them the system. Well worth the money..... plus that pennies to Paul Allen.
Is that what Gallery's job was? Is that why he was signed to that huge deal? I am going to have to go back and read some of the fantastic comments past year when he was 'stolen' from the Raiders!! I can't remember you saying that, but you must have. It wouldn't be spin or putting lipstick on on a pig, an abortion, complete F-Up of a signing. Couldn't be that.

1. My gut tells me they let Bryant walk and pay Williams a ton of money. No way they're going to pay them both a ton to play the same position. 2. They move Wright to the inside and let Hawthorne walk. Open competition at the OLB spots.3. First round pick goes in a QB. They have to pull the string at some point and I doubt they go after Flynn.
In just a few days I was 0 for 2.Its official. I know nothing about this team after watching every snap of every Seahawk game since 1981. Geesh.

Now that the Hawks have QBs in place....thoughts on the draft?
DeCastro to play LG? Might be nice to bring him home via the draft. Would be a popular hometown pick. Maybe they intend to move Carpenter to LG and stick with Giacomini at RT?At this point I have to think they are laser-focused on a pass rusher in the first round, but its hard to ignore the giant holes they now have at OLB on both sides. That said, no way they burn first round pick on a LB.

DeCastro to play LG? Might be nice to bring him home via the draft. Would be a popular hometown pick. Maybe they intend to move Carpenter to LG and stick with Giacomini at RT?At this point I have to think they are laser-focused on a pass rusher in the first round, but its hard to ignore the giant holes they now have at OLB on both sides. That said, no way they burn first round pick on a LB.
Micheal Floyd, Luke Kuechly, DeCastro or Trade Down.... thats my list.

Not sure Michael Floyd fits. Sidney Rice and Mike Williams are both huge targets...plus Doug Baldwin and Golden Tate have solid potential. I'd think a Kendall Wright(smaller speed guy) might make more sense if they go WR route.I just want to say I love, LOVE what Seattle is doing. Building that OL and running game first...bringing in a few guys for skill positions...I think they need to go defense in the draft or DeCastro. Adding DeCastro will give them huge potential on the OL for years.

Ingram, Upshaw, and Coples make a lot of sense to me for you guys as well.

What's your take on KJ Wright. Possible MLB candidate?

'benson_will_lead_the_way said:
'ImTheScientist said:
'Hooper31 said:
'ImTheScientist said:
Not sure Michael Floyd fits. Sidney Rice and Mike Williams are both huge targets...plus Doug Baldwin and Golden Tate have solid potential. I'd think a Kendall Wright(smaller speed guy) might make more sense if they go WR route.I just want to say I love, LOVE what Seattle is doing. Building that OL and running game first...bringing in a few guys for skill positions...I think they need to go defense in the draft or DeCastro. Adding DeCastro will give them huge potential on the OL for years.
I don't think they have much faith in Williams and wouldn't shock me to see him not make the team. Carroll also wants huge targets.

'benson_will_lead_the_way said:
'ImTheScientist said:
'Hooper31 said:
'ImTheScientist said:
I don't think they have much faith in Williams and wouldn't shock me to see him not make the team. Carroll also wants huge targets.
Oh really, I just thought he was beat up a bit last year. If so, then that would make sense. The size matchups in Seattle would be ridiculous, Sidney Rice 6-4, Floyd 6-3, Zach Miller 6-5.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports free agent Michael Bush will visit the Seahawks on Tuesday.However, another source tells Schefter the Seahawks "very much" want to host Bush, but that a visit has yet to be scheduled. Seattle's interest is a surprise after it signed Marshawn Lynch to a four-year, $32 million extension earlier this month, and a sign that Bush's market isn't developing the way he hoped. As a runner, Bush is basically a less explosive version of Lynch, though he offers more in the passing game. At least on paper, his signing would give Seattle one of league's top running games.

Draft team needs: Seattle Seahawks

By Pete Prisco | CBSSports.com Senior NFL Columnist

When league scouts talk about the Seattle Seahawks, they all say the same thing: Loads of young talent, but what about the quarterback?

Under coach Pete Carroll, the Seahawks have tried Charlie Whitehurst (failed) and Tarvaris Jackson (grade incomplete) as quarterbacks they acquired to fill a glaring need. Now comes Matt Flynn.

The Seahawks signed Flynn as a free agent from the Green Bay Packers. Flynn started two games in four years with the Packers, so his signing is risky.

Carroll said that Flynn and Jackson will compete for the job, but it's probably Flynn's to lose.

If Flynn can prove to be more than just a manage-the-game passer, Seattle will push for the NFC West title.

If not, they might be looking again next spring.

QB: Flynn threw for 480 yards and six touchdowns in his only start last season for the Packers. But it wasn't as good as the numbers would indicate. He doesn't have a big arm, but he is smart and sees the field. It's hard to say what will happen when and if he takes over as the starter. Jackson started 14 games, threw for 3,091 yards, 14 touchdown passes and 13 interceptions. He had some moments when he looked like he was the future, but others where he looked lost. Consistency is a problem. Josh Portis is the No. 3 QB.

RB: Marshawn Lynch rushed for 1,204 yards and 13 touchdowns and was rewarded with a new contract. Lynch is a tough inside runner who can also catch the ball out of the backfield. Veteran Leon Washington is the top backup. He is more of a third-down back. Kregg Lumpkin and Tyrell Sutton are backups. The fullback is versatile Michael Robinson. Even though they signed Lynch, the Seahawks need to find a young runner to develop.

WR: The Seahawks thought they answered their receiver problems when they signed Sidney Rice. But he played in just 10 games because of injuries. He has to stay on the field. But the injuries allowed rookie Doug Baldwin to emerge. He was the team's leading receiver with 51 catches for a 15.5-yard average. Mike Williams played in only 10 games and was disappointing with 18 catches. His lack of speed shows up. Ben Obomanu and Golden Tate each had 30-plus catches. Deon Butler's career has been slowed by injuries. Ricardo Lockett is a young player to watch.

TE: This is a position that needs to be better. Zach Miller, who came over as a free agent from Oakland, caught 25 passes, a career low. That number needs to be around 60. Anthony McCoy had 13 catches and Cameron Morrah had six, but he has some speed to get deep. Miller is the key here. He has to improve in 2012.

OL: Injuries crippled this unit last season. Three of the starting linemen ended the season on injured reserve. Left tackle Russell Okung went down with a torn pectoral muscle and right tackle James Carpenter tore an ACL. Okung will be ready for the start of the season, but Carpenter might not. Breno Giacomini, who played well at right tackle, might keep the job. Carpenter could move to guard. The left guard will be John Moffitt, who missed time with a torn MCL. The center will be Max Unger, who has also started at guard. The Seahawks added guard Deuce Lutui, who played for Carroll at Southern California, and tackle Frank Omiyale for depth. Line coach Tom Cable should have this unit playing at a high level in 2012.

DL: The Seahawks' line isn't made up of household names, but it's a good one. The best player is Red Bryant, who was re-signed. He is an anchor against the run at defensive end. Chris Clemons provides the pass rush from the other end spot. But there isn't much behind those two. The Seahawks are in need of a pass-rusher to help Clemons. On the inside, Jason Jones, who was signed as a free agent from Tennessee, will team with Brandon Mebane, an underrated inside player. Jones played end last year for the Titans, but he's clearly more comfortable inside. Alan Branch started 15 games last season, but he's more of a run stuffer. There isn't a lot of depth inside or outside.

LB: This is the real weak spot on the roster. K.J. Wright, who started 12 games as a rookie, is the only linebacker on the roster who started for Seattle last season. He has a chance to be a really good player. The Seahawks lost middle linebacker David Hawthorne to the Saints in free agency, but signed Barrett Ruud to replace him. That's a step down. Ruud is just OK. The other spot should be a battle between Adrian Moten and others. I expect the Seahawks to spend an early pick on a linebacker, maybe even in the first round.

DB: The Seahawks have one of the best young secondary groups in the NFL. The safeties might be the best duo in the league. Free safety Earl Thomas is a rangy player who fits the modern game. Strong safety Kam Chancellor is a big hitter who needs to improve some on his coverage. Jeron Johnson and Chris Maragos are the backups. The corners were a pleasant surprise in 2011. Brandon Browner and Richard Sherman were not expected to start but both played well and appear to be set as a duo for a long time. Browner, a CFL refugee, is a big, physical corner who makes up for a lack of speed with his strong press skills. Sherman is the better cover player of the two and was a rookie find. The team re-signed Marcus Trufant on Monday, and he will likely be the nickel corner. Walter Thurmond and Roy Lewis are backups who will compete for the nickel job.

NFC West draft needs

Seattle Seahawks Excerpt:

Overview: Seattle has only six picks but is well-positioned with its own picks in each of the first four rounds, starting off with the 12th overall pick in the first round after losing a coin flip to the Chiefs in February for the 11th pick. The Seahawks gave up their fifth-round pick in the deal to obtain star RB Marshawn Lynch, and traded its own seventh-round pick to Detroit for OL Tyler Polumbus two seasons ago. The team did pick up a seventh-rounder from Oakland in exchange for LB Aaron Curry, a former first-round pick who failed to live up to expectations.

Need No. 1: Linebacker

A top priority is more speed and depth at linebacker. UFA David Hawthorne, the team's starting MLB last season and the leading tackler each of the last three seasons, signed with the Saints. UFA Leroy Hill, the starter on the weak side, remains unsigned. Hill played surprisingly well on the weak side after having been considered as good as gone entering the 2011 campaign. But he has had his share of off-the-field concerns that offset his value.

Need No. 2: Defensive end

The underrated Chris Clemons has been a steady terror at the “Leo” position, coming off a stellar 11-sack campaign. But the pass rush falls off significantly once you get past him. Free agent Raheem Brock, who will be 34 next season, is not expected back after a big decline from his strong 2010 campaign. Free-agent pickup Jason Jones, who signed a one-year deal, should help improve the interior pass rush, but Clemons needs more help off the edges.

Need No. 3: Running back

The Seahawks are counting on Marshawn Lynch to provide the lion’s share of offense for a long time to come and would benefit from a bit more backup help for their flashy featured back. The recent addition of 228-pound bruiser Kregg Lumpkin, whom the Seahawks tried to acquire in September 2010 after he was waived by the Packers, should help somewhat. But with free agent Justin Forsett not expected back, even more help would come in handy.

Well? A reach for Irvin at 15? Happy they moved down at least a few picks to select him?
Why a reach? Because some talking head on TV said so? Plenty of chatter out there indicating there was no way he would be available in next round. Further, can't assume there were opportunities to trade down again.I'm thrilled with the pick. I think the tandem of Red Bryant and Irvin make a perfect duo. Red stops the run and Bruce hits the QB. Consider this. Last year Seattle was great on first and second down against the run. They brought in Raheem Brock to rush the passer on third down. He had tons of opportunities in great pass rush situations. Brock had 3 sacks. That's just pathetic for the prime chances he was gifted. Clemons had 11 on the other side. I have yet to hear any commentary on Irvin that didn't start with "best pure pass rusher in this draft". Seattle filled a primary need and did so with the best player available to fit their scheme.

Well? A reach for Irvin at 15? Happy they moved down at least a few picks to select him?
Why a reach? Because some talking head on TV said so? Plenty of chatter out there indicating there was no way he would be available in next round. Further, can't assume there were opportunities to trade down again.I'm thrilled with the pick. I think the tandem of Red Bryant and Irvin make a perfect duo. Red stops the run and Bruce hits the QB. Consider this. Last year Seattle was great on first and second down against the run. They brought in Raheem Brock to rush the passer on third down. He had tons of opportunities in great pass rush situations. Brock had 3 sacks. That's just pathetic for the prime chances he was gifted. Clemons had 11 on the other side. I have yet to hear any commentary on Irvin that didn't start with "best pure pass rusher in this draft". Seattle filled a primary need and did so with the best player available to fit their scheme.
:goodposting:

First off, I agree with you, I really like the pick. Second, talking heads are all we have to go off without being in the draft room.I heard the chatter, too, but I think they could have moved back a few picks if there was the chance. Carroll and Schneider mentioned in their press conference that they talked about it, but did not want to take the chance of losing Irvin.

Doubt Irvin was going to get past the Jets. They had to settle for an inferior player in Coples.

For those concerned about size issues - Irvin is still 2 inches taller than Freeney and can add 20-30 pounds easily.

Great pick by Schneider/Carroll.

Doubt Irvin was going to get past the Jets. They had to settle for an inferior player in Coples.For those concerned about size issues - Irvin is still 2 inches taller than Freeney and can add 20-30 pounds easily.Great pick by Schneider/Carroll.
Carroll was asked about what size he wants Irwin to play at, specifically if he needed to gain weight. Carroll said, paraphrasing, that he wanted him to play at whatever weight he was the fastest, and didn't necessarily think he needed to gain a pound

Huge Irvin fan here ... WVU homer

So, you got the best pure pass rusher in the draft. Reach at 15? If he was the best pass rusher in the draft then you didnt reach.

Reading Carrol's comments, I love it. Bruce has amazing speed and power for his size. Im excited to see what he does in 2/3rd down packages rushing the passer. Its very reasonable that he improves his rush defense and potential coverage requests as he grows. Dont forget, he has been playing organized football for like 3 years.

I expect NFL OL's to underrate him going into the season. I see him with at least 5 sacks with his rookie campaign. He is simply too fast and hungry to not get to the QB

Wow...the rich get richer!!! Great draft by the Hawks.

1 15 (15) Irvin, Bruce DE

2 15 (47) Wagner, Bobby ILB

3 12 (75) Wilson, Russell QB

4 11 (106) Turbin, Robert RB

4 19 (114) Howard, Jaye DT

5 19 (154) Toomer, Korey ILB

6 2 (172) Lane, Jeremy CB

6 11 (181) Guy, Winston DB

7 18 (225) Sweezy, J R DE

7 25 (232) Scruggs, Greg DE

Users who are viewing this thread