What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2013 St. Louis Rams Thread *** (1 Viewer)

"The real juice to the story is that "some believe that Gibson could earn a contract comparable to the one given to Brian Hartline" last week -- five years and $31 million with $12.5 million guaranteed.
:lmao: Gibson's barely worth a roster spot, much less that kind of money.
I wouldn't claim that he's barely worth a roster spot, as he's a solid possession receiver. However, he should be a team's WR3, 4 or 5 (as the Rams correctly saw it). Six million a year is starter money, though, and the Rams should want no part of that. Even 4 or 5 million a year would be too rich. The WR market is very strange.Rams will probably be left with Quick, Givens and Pettis, plus whatever they pick up in free agency and the draft. I'm ready to see Tavon Austin in blue and gold.
I've seen a couple of people say this, and I really don't understand it. The Rams, in my opinion, made a terrible decision by drafting Brian Quick. Not a fluid athlete and very raw skill wise. If they are revamping their wideouts, they should get someone who can play outside, not a guy like Austin. Don't get me wrong, I love Austin's playmaking ability, but he's not a #1 WR.

"The real juice to the story is that "some believe that Gibson could earn a contract comparable to the one given to Brian Hartline" last week -- five years and $31 million with $12.5 million guaranteed.
I wouldn't claim that he's barely worth a roster spot, as he's a solid possession receiver.
His hands of stone suggest otherwise.

I wouldn't claim that he's barely worth a roster spot, as he's a solid possession receiver. However, he should be a team's WR3, 4 or 5 (as the Rams correctly saw it). Six million a year is starter money, though, and the Rams should want no part of that. Even 4 or 5 million a year would be too rich. The WR market is very strange.Rams will probably be left with Quick, Givens and Pettis, plus whatever they pick up in free agency and the draft. I'm ready to see Tavon Austin in blue and gold.
I've seen a couple of people say this, and I really don't understand it. The Rams, in my opinion, made a terrible decision by drafting Brian Quick. Not a fluid athlete and very raw skill wise. If they are revamping their wideouts, they should get someone who can play outside, not a guy like Austin. Don't get me wrong, I love Austin's playmaking ability, but he's not a #1 WR.
What's not to understand? Nowhere am I saying that I want to draft Austin as a split end or flanker. Amendola is most likely a goner. You saw the list of WRs I posted. One WR won't complete the Rams' receiving corps. They'll likely add more than one in this offseason, and I just happen to feel that Austin would be the best choice in the draft (expecting Patterson to be gone by then).Furthermore, regardless of how you feel about Quick, it's not like they'll quit on him this soon. That's simply not going to happen - nor should it.

I wouldn't claim that he's barely worth a roster spot, as he's a solid possession receiver.
His hands of stone suggest otherwise.
That's hardly fair.Every one of Brandon Gibson's targets in 2012

What's not to understand? Nowhere am I saying that I want to draft Austin as a split end or flanker. Amendola is most likely a goner. You saw the list of WRs I posted. One WR won't complete the Rams' receiving corps. They'll likely add more than one in this offseason, and I just happen to feel that Austin would be the best choice in the draft (expecting Patterson to be gone by then).Furthermore, regardless of how you feel about Quick, it's not like they'll quit on him this soon. That's simply not going to happen - nor should it.
Austin just seems like more of a luxery pick to me that the rams cant afford.

Austin just seems like more of a luxery pick to me that the rams cant afford.
Again, Amendola is mostly likely a goner. The team still needs playmaking receivers, and Austin would be a great fit. Slot WR isn't a luxury position in today's NFL. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Rams competition just got stronger (Seabirds/9ers). They will have to hit something on offense to compete....as their cupboard looks awfully dry on the offensive side right now.

Just watched Schefter's rundown. Is it possible for the Rams to land Long and Cook, moneywise?

Looking at the WR's on the market, and players in general really, I have to say that Victor Cruz is THE guy among them who I think any team should be most excited about having in the locker room. I just really like that guy and think he will improve any team he is on just by being there. That said, he costs a first round pick (restricted) and of course he wants to get paid.

'King of the Jungle said:
Rams competition just got stronger (Seabirds/9ers). They will have to hit something on offense to compete....as their cupboard looks awfully dry on the offensive side right now.
Have three teams from the same division ever made the playoffs?

Just watched Schefter's rundown. Is it possible for the Rams to land Long and Cook, moneywise?
Some reports are that Cook is already a Ram:mad:JasonLaCantora: The #Rams and former Titans tight end Jared Cook have agreed in principle to a 5 year 35 million dollar deal.And Long is making a visit tonight. Jim Thomas, the Rams beat writer, is discounting the Cook contract.That cook contract seems HIGH to me...

Some reports are that Cook is already a Ram:mad:JasonLaCantora: The #Rams and former Titans tight end Jared Cook have agreed in principle to a 5 year 35 million dollar deal.And Long is making a visit tonight. Jim Thomas, the Rams beat writer, is discounting the Cook contract.That cook contract seems HIGH to me...
Great signing IMO. Cook gives them a much needed threat in the middle of the field.

Great signing IMO. Cook gives them a much needed threat in the middle of the field.
Might want to take a better look at that Twitter handle.I have no idea what kind of cap gymnastics the Rams FO is planning in order to accomodate Cook, Long, Delmas, the incoming rookie class and possibly a couple more cheap additions, but if they feel it's possible, I'm on board.Edit: Caplan says "TE Jared Cook has agreed to terms with the Rams, per source." Now it's legit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some reports are that Cook is already a Ram:mad:JasonLaCantora: The #Rams and former Titans tight end Jared Cook have agreed in principle to a 5 year 35 million dollar deal.

And Long is making a visit tonight.

Jim Thomas, the Rams beat writer, is discounting the Cook contract.

That cook contract seems HIGH to me...
Might want to take a better look at that Twitter handle.I have no idea what kind of cap gymnastics the Rams FO is planning in order to accomodate Cook, Long, Delmas, the incoming rookie class and possibly a couple more cheap additions, but if they feel it's possible, I'm on board.

Edit: Caplan says "TE Jared Cook has agreed to terms with the Rams, per source." Now it's legit.
:bag: In terms of fantasy, and Kendrick's in particular. I think we have one of two options here, either the Kendrick's experiment is over, or the Rams are going to a Patriots type offense. I think the latter is unlikely.

Some reports are that Cook is already a Ram:mad:JasonLaCantora: The #Rams and former Titans tight end Jared Cook have agreed in principle to a 5 year 35 million dollar deal.

Might want to take a better look at that Twitter handle.I have no idea what kind of cap gymnastics the Rams FO is planning in order to accomodate Cook, Long, Delmas, the incoming rookie class and possibly a couple more cheap additions, but if they feel it's possible, I'm on board.

Edit: Caplan says "TE Jared Cook has agreed to terms with the Rams, per source." Now it's legit.
:bag: In terms of fantasy, and Kendrick's in particular. I think we have one of two options here, either the Kendrick's experiment is over, or the Rams are going to a Patriots type offense. I think the latter is unlikely.
Why bag on head? Great signing in my opinion. Not sure it's an either or choice. Kendricks has improved a lot, Especially at catching the ball. The patriots model is not a bad one But clearly Kendrick's is taking a backseat. The fact is Cook might be our best receiver now.

It's shaping up as if Jackson will be a Cheesehead. Good for him. Except when we beat them in the Super Bowl!!!! Thanks for the memories Steven.

'heidbrink said:
'TheFanatic said:
'Abrantes said:

Why bag on head? Great signing in my opinion. Not sure it's an either or choice. Kendricks has improved a lot, Especially at catching the ball. The patriots model is not a bad one But clearly Kendrick's is taking a backseat. The fact is Cook might be our best receiver now.
The bag on the head is for me not seeing that it is a fake LaCanfora twitter handle.And as a Rams homer, I like the signing, just not the cost. And as a Kendrick's owner in one league, I don't like it either as I see this as a replacement, not going into a Patriots sort of offense...

mike sando (espn nfc west divisional beat coverage) passing along photo of long in negotiations with rams... not yet signed, but sounds promising...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/74122/a-tease-for-rams-fans-on-jake-long-front

i always thought cook was underused in TEN... while not quite the freakish size/speed physical specimen of a vernon davis (cook not as big? besides, who is, davis is probably unprecedented in league history as far as positional measurables), but he might be nearly as fast... not many 4.4 TEs in the league...

IF cook* plays up to his formidable physical tools and long (if signed) can stay healthy, this might be rams best free agent period... EVER? :)

with two first round picks this year and next (not accounting for any possible future trades, but i can see them being kept), and following on the heels of turning the corner last year (fisher hire, nearly .500, best intra-divisional record in nfc west, led NFL in sacks, etc., fisher and snead showed they can work the draft, maximized the #2 overall pick, drafted some good players in brockers, jenkins, givens, et al), STL seems to be an ascendant team... they need to be, because so are SF & SEA...

some mocks i've seen have the rams possibly taking OL (OT or OG), WR (patterson if he drops?) or S (vaccaro) with first round picks... if they could add a player like warmack for interior OL (not sure he drops, some scouts say he is top 10 talent and best interior OL in draft, but it is a position that tends to drop?) next to long (again, if he signs), they could dramatically transform the OL very quickly...

* bradford threw to jermaine gresham at oklahoma a lot (admittedly cook and gresham don't have identical skill sets, but at least there is a precedent for success)...

for technical purposes, i have heard, OC & DC types talk about how having a stud TE makes things difficult for defenses, because if you move him around, it can force the defense to reveal if they are in man to man or zone coverage... little things like that, when magnified and compounded over time, can confer an edge over the course of a season...

rams and ex-MIA, former #1 overall LT jake long reportedly (PFT) have come to an agreement...

Jake Long agrees to terms with Rams

Posted by Mike Florio on March 18, 2013, 12:20 AM EDT

The first overall pick in the 2008 draft has decided where he’ll be playing for the next four years. And it won’t be in the city where he has spent the last five.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, tackle Jake Long has agreed to terms with the Rams.

Long picked the Rams over the Dolphins, who made a late push to keep Long after his multi-day visit to St. Louis ended.

It’s a four-year deal, with a base value of $34 million, for an average of $8.5 million annually. With incentives, the deal can reach $36 million.

The deal has $16 million fully guaranteed, with another $4 million that will become fully guaranteed in 2014.

It’s unclear whether the Dolphins were offering the same, less, or more. In the end, it doesn’t matter. Long, who has made plenty from being a No. 1 overall pick in the days before the rookie wage scale, doesn’t have to take the best offer on the table.

Finally!!! That took forever. Not sure what were going to do at safety though. Hopefully the talk of Saffold having a problem moving to right is just talk.

And best wishes to Steven Jackson, Danny Amendola and Brandon Gibson until we meet again. Kind of worried about our situation at running back and wide receiver as well. Hopefully the young players step up.

:pickle: Love seeing the Rams actually drawing the interest of big-time free agents. Signing Long should mean the end of the Barry Richardson experiment, thankfully. Between that and Craig Dahl going to a division rival ( :lmao: ), I'm thrilled about things are shaping up. If the Rams pick up a nice LG in the draft (or someone else steps up), the OL could look great. Long-??-Wells-Dahl-Saffold. Fools just gotta stay healthy.

Steven Jackson is my favorite player, and partly responsible for making me a Rams fan, so it sucks to see him go, but I hope he excels in the Falcons, and I do think he has it in him to do so. I also hope the Rams don't go crazy picking up an RB in the first round this year. Pead should get a chance to show what he's got, and if it's not looking good, I'd rather pick up a cheap FA.

Is someone aware of the current cap number after the signing of Cook and Long?

They pretty well have to have blown the whole wad I would think. I expect the Rams were hoping to get Long down a couple million to have room to also sign Louis Delmas, who has since signed back with Detroit after also entertaining SF.

Assuming the Rams don't somehow free up more space and the free agency moves are basically done, they're looking towards the draft with a roster including just 3 young wideouts, 3 young RB's (including Ganaway), down both starting safeties, a hole at OLB, and a need to beef up the interior OL.

This sure is a young, young roster. The Rams have to be among the youngest, if not THE youngest, going into the 2013 season in the NFL I would think.

Do you suppose we will have two rookies starting at Safety this year? It is a strong draft for saftey but two rookie starters sure seems like a risky proposal. The Rams will be looking to Finnegan for veteran leadership in the defensive backfield. Perhaps Cortland can move to Safety? Would that even make sense? Will be interesting to see what they do there.

Bearing all this in mind, would anybody care to take a stab at a Rams mock draft?

cross posted from another board, in response to a post recommending OG cooper with one of first round picks (if he drops)...

warmack and cooper MIGHT be gone, but interior OL is a position that tends to drop, rare to go in top half of first round (warmack is said to be special talent)...

adding one of these guys could turn the OL around, which has been a problem for years, into a strength almost overnight...

a short list of other candidates for two first round picks... BTW, i think move down more likely than up, as that was their MO last year... they still have holes to fill... plus i'm not sure there is a lot of elite talent at top, but i think it could be a deep draft, which should allow some solid startling caliber talent to drop to us with first four picks in top two rounds or so...

OL - fluker also linked to STL in some mocks... that was before long signing, but it would make sense if upgrade over saffold (more of a finesse LT than power RT physical tools and skill set?), and with his future beyond this year uncertain... but i also like idea of elite OG here, if possible...

S - vaccaro sounds like he is best in class (2012 draft not a good class, positionally speaking), could play SS or FS... also a few FS types from state of florida (elam one?), not sure if they are first round talents, i don't think much doubt with vacarro... leading the leagues in sacks, augmenting rams secondary would be a nice fit... after adding two outstanding CBs in FA and draft last year with finnegan and jenkins, adding a blue chip safety could be the cherry on top for the secondary... also, with all the X factor freak TEs coming in to the league, they are almost indefensible... the cliched (but true), proverbial, too fast for LB and too big for CB... a premier safety that can neutralize these TE weapons can be a huge factor...

WR - some good ones - patterson, allen, etc. STL needs bodies, though givens showed a lot of promise (almost like desean jackson skill set?), and quick did little but was very raw and has tools to start if he can learn to run routes... not sure if he is ready for prime time in 2013 or needs another year of seasoning (CIN's jerome simpson went to small school east or coastal carolina?, and broke out in the middle of his THIRD season)... with cook and kendricks being two receiving weapon TEs, that could mitigate the need for WR somewhat... than again, having competent WRs could make the TEs more dangerous, and give them more space to operate with, and thereby enhancing the OVERALL passing attack and offensive scheme as a whole...

RB - haven't scouted them to have a sense of if there is a BPA-type talent that isn't positional reach where STL drafts in first (second more likly?)... not sure this is a great RB class... with four (COMBINED) first round picks in 2013-2014, a luxury they could maybe afford is to draft lattimore later (could he even drop out of first TWO rounds?) with an eye to 2014 and future, much like bills did with mcgahee... plus, maybe pead shows more as soph... i don't think richardson is carry the load type of RB, at best complementary (maybe pead, too?)...

LB - maybe fisher and snead, after doing almost everything right, got too cute trading down with third second rounder, to get extra mid-round pick (was it watkins, and maybe he will end up starting?)... they did get pead, and in fairness still far too early to write him off... reportedly they would have taken LB like bobby wagner or mychal kendricks (i forget who they liked best)... wagner was great at MLB, i think he has the athleticism to play WLB... kendricks could play all three 4-3 LB positions, and i might have even taken lavonte david, who received some defensive rookie of the year consideration (as did wagner, and our CB jenkins)... jo-lonn dunbar was a revelation, and he isn't ancient, and mcintosh is a solid OLB when healthy (not sure strong side his best position, though)... i don't see this as a critical need, ESPECIALLY if they add safety like vacarro in first round, and with young players like quinn, brockers and jenkins with another year of maturation and development... i could see it being addressed after first few rounds, and they could probably use some depth...

'Bob Magaw said:
cross posted from another board, in response to a post recommending OG cooper with one of first round picks (if he drops)...

warmack and cooper MIGHT be gone, but interior OL is a position that tends to drop, rare to go in top half of first round (warmack is said to be special talent)...

adding one of these guys could turn the OL around, which has been a problem for years, into a strength almost overnight...

a short list of other candidates for two first round picks... BTW, i think move down more likely than up, as that was their MO last year... they still have holes to fill... plus i'm not sure there is a lot of elite talent at top, but i think it could be a deep draft, which should allow some solid startling caliber talent to drop to us with first four picks in top two rounds or so...

OL - fluker also linked to STL in some mocks... that was before long signing, but it would make sense if upgrade over saffold (more of a finesse LT than power RT physical tools and skill set?), and with his future beyond this year uncertain... but i also like idea of elite OG here, if possible...

S - vaccaro sounds like he is best in class (2012 draft not a good class, positionally speaking), could play SS or FS... also a few FS types from state of florida (elam one?), not sure if they are first round talents, i don't think much doubt with vacarro... leading the leagues in sacks, augmenting rams secondary would be a nice fit... after adding two outstanding CBs in FA and draft last year with finnegan and jenkins, adding a blue chip safety could be the cherry on top for the secondary... also, with all the X factor freak TEs coming in to the league, they are almost indefensible... the cliched (but true), proverbial, too fast for LB and too big for CB... a premier safety that can neutralize these TE weapons can be a huge factor...

WR - some good ones - patterson, allen, etc. STL needs bodies, though givens showed a lot of promise (almost like desean jackson skill set?), and quick did little but was very raw and has tools to start if he can learn to run routes... not sure if he is ready for prime time in 2013 or needs another year of seasoning (CIN's jerome simpson went to small school east or coastal carolina?, and broke out in the middle of his THIRD season)... with cook and kendricks being two receiving weapon TEs, that could mitigate the need for WR somewhat... than again, having competent WRs could make the TEs more dangerous, and give them more space to operate with, and thereby enhancing the OVERALL passing attack and offensive scheme as a whole...

RB - haven't scouted them to have a sense of if there is a BPA-type talent that isn't positional reach where STL drafts in first (second more likly?)... not sure this is a great RB class... with four (COMBINED) first round picks in 2013-2014, a luxury they could maybe afford is to draft lattimore later (could he even drop out of first TWO rounds?) with an eye to 2014 and future, much like bills did with mcgahee... plus, maybe pead shows more as soph... i don't think richardson is carry the load type of RB, at best complementary (maybe pead, too?)...

LB - maybe fisher and snead, after doing almost everything right, got too cute trading down with third second rounder, to get extra mid-round pick (was it watkins, and maybe he will end up starting?)... they did get pead, and in fairness still far too early to write him off... reportedly they would have taken LB like bobby wagner or mychal kendricks (i forget who they liked best)... wagner was great at MLB, i think he has the athleticism to play WLB... kendricks could play all three 4-3 LB positions, and i might have even taken lavonte david, who received some defensive rookie of the year consideration (as did wagner, and our CB jenkins)... jo-lonn dunbar was a revelation, and he isn't ancient, and mcintosh is a solid OLB when healthy (not sure strong side his best position, though)... i don't see this as a critical need, ESPECIALLY if they add safety like vacarro in first round, and with young players like quinn, brockers and jenkins with another year of maturation and development... i could see it being addressed after first few rounds, and they could probably use some depth...
Me still learning to read - carry-on

Is someone aware of the current cap number after the signing of Cook and Long? They pretty well have to have blown the whole wad I would think. I expect the Rams were hoping to get Long down a couple million to have room to also sign Louis Delmas, who has since signed back with Detroit after also entertaining SF.
I would assume they still have money left. Not much, but some. I don't think the signing of Long would've meant that they couldn't have signed Delmas. With Delmas back in Detroit, I'm guessing they have a few mill (not slated for the rookie pool) to sign a vet. As for someone mentioning RB's above, I wonder, with the extra picks, if they will throw a 5th or later at Tampa for Blount or are hoping that they flat out cut Blount. Fisher loves Blount. And he could be had on the cheap. The guy isn't a 3 down back, but we have Pead and DRich for that. Might be a nice combo to get us through a few years while filling other holes before drafting the stud RB.

Bernie Miklasz take on the Long deal. Is he Roaf or Boselli? ...

My link

Take 5 on Jake Long:

BY BERNIE MIKLASZ, Post-Dispatch Sports Columnist

The Rams obviously believe that Long can return to elite form and re-establish his standing among the NFL’s best left offensive tackles. And he certainly has a chance to do that.

But the Rams also hedged their bet by limiting their Long deal to four seasons.

There’s some work to do:

1. Health and durability: Here are Long’s snap counts in each of his five seasons beginning with his rookie year (2008) and continuing through last season:

1,068 … 1,147 … 1,077 … 801 … 745

Long passed the Rams’ rather extensive physical, so the team is confident in his physical viability.

Playing for Jeff Fisher should help Long. Fisher is a players’ coach who doesn’t wear his guys down with needlessly long practices or gratuitous contact that can leave a veteran vulnerable to injury.

As Rams GM Les Snead told Peter King of Sports Illustrated: “One of our players texted Jake and told him he’d retire if he had to play for any other coach besides Jeff. Jeff gets veterans to Sunday ready to play … gets them to December ready to play … So yes, he knows how to keep vets fresh physically, mentally and spiritually as good as anyone in the NFL.”

I believe that’s true.

But Fisher’s approach, while sound, didn’t prevent the Rams’ offensive line from getting clobbered by injuries in 2012. The O-line was one of the hardest-hit areas of the team.

2. Performance: Courtesy of Pro Football Focus, here are Long’s pass-blocking ratings in each of his five seasons. Again, we’ll start with 2008, and go through 2012. Obviously, the higher the “plus” number the better the season.

15.4 … 24.4 … 23.3 … 9.0 … 3.0

Long’s yearly run-blocking scores follow the same pattern. In order:

15.7 … 10.7 … 11.5 … 2.2 … minus 1.9

Obviously there’s been a rather dramatic decline. PFF rated Long No. 2 in the NFL in pass-blocking efficiency among NFL offensive tackles in 2009, and No. 1 in 2010. But Long dropped off to No. 22 in the category in 2011. Last season’s pass-blocking efficiency was 21st among OTs that played at least 25 percent of the snaps. That isn’t bad. But it isn’t elite.

The Rams need Jake Long to nullify the effective edge rushers that can make life painful for quarterbacks in the NFC West. If Long plays at an average level, that’s OK. But they need him to be better than that.

3. Paul Boudreau is a key figure in the Long rehabilitation project. Not to mix baseball and football, but remember how Dave Duncan used to fix up veteran pitchers for the Cardinals and get the most of their ability? Boudreau, the Rams’ outstanding offensive line coach, has the same quality touch in getting improved performances from O-lineman. Long is an ideal candidate for Boudreau.

In 2011, Rams left OT Rodger Saffold had his season impacted by injuries and was limited to 618 snaps. And when he played, Saffold struggled terribly, allowing 11 sacks, four hits and 17 hurries. He finished with one of the worst pass-blocking efficiency numbers (92.5) in the league. In 2012, Saffold again was knocked down by injuries and played only 621 snaps. But in working with Boudreau for the first time, Saffold allowed only 3 sacks. He allowed way too many hurries, however, which lowered his pass-blocking efficiency score. But Saffold still had the best pass-blocking efficiency rating (96.4) of his three-year career.

4. As long as everyone can stay reasonably healthy, which is always a question, the Rams will finally have stability on the offensive line. That would help QB Sam Bradford. But how realistic is it to expect the line to avoid injuries in 2013?

The 2012 line was torn by injuries to Saffold, center Scott Wells and right guard Harvey Dahl last season. Three players started at left offensive tackle: Saffold (10), Wayne Hunter (4), and Joe Barksdale (2).

A similar mess occurred at LT in 2011. Long can firm up that spot. But there are always potential complications. How well can Saffold play at RT? Will he be happy? Will he remain healthy for the first time since his rookie season?

The Wells injury created a void at left guard; Robert Turner had to move from LG to fill the hole at center. And the LG spot wasn’t settled until Wells came back late in the season, enabling Turner to move to LG.

5. My bottom line on Long: I like his chances of staying healthy and raising his play. The presence of Fisher and Boudreau will increase those odds. But I can’t ASSUME that Long will return to that elite level. It seems to me that he’ll turn into Willie Roaf or Tony Boselli.

In his final couple of years in New Orleans, Roaf was viewed as a left OT in decline, already into the downside phase of his career. Roaf went to Kansas City and dominated, making the Pro Bowl in each of his four seasons with the Chiefs. The return to form clinched Roaf’s Hall of Fame case.

Boselli, the 2nd overall pick in the 1995 draft, went to Jacksonville and became a Pro Bowl left OT in five of his six seasons. And then he lost it … just went over the proverbial cliff with a stunning drop in performance. Boselli retired after his seventh season.

Will Long be Roaf, or Boselli?

I think he’ll be closer to Roaf, but we’ll have to wait and see.

Thanks for reading.

— Bernie

They pretty well have to have blown the whole wad I would think. I expect the Rams were hoping to get Long down a couple million to have room to also sign Louis Delmas, who has since signed back with Detroit after also entertaining SF.
I would assume they still have money left. Not much, but some. I don't think the signing of Long would've meant that they couldn't have signed Delmas. With Delmas back in Detroit, I'm guessing they have a few mill (not slated for the rookie pool) to sign a vet. As for someone mentioning RB's above, I wonder, with the extra picks, if they will throw a 5th or later at Tampa for Blount or are hoping that they flat out cut Blount. Fisher loves Blount. And he could be had on the cheap. The guy isn't a 3 down back, but we have Pead and DRich for that. Might be a nice combo to get us through a few years while filling other holes before drafting the stud RB.
According to spotrac and OvertheCap the Rams are about 6 million under after Mikel and Cook but NOT taking into account the Long deal (which should be about 9 million, correct?) and obviously before signing the 2013 rookie class. Not sure how they are planning to fit the proverbial 10 pounds into a 5 pound bag here but I presume there is a plan. There has to be another shoe to drop somewhere for this all to work even with just what has been agreed to thus far. Am I missing something?

'heidbrink said:

According to spotrac and OvertheCap the Rams are about 6 million under after Mikel and Cook but NOT taking into account the Long deal (which should be about 9 million, correct?) and obviously before signing the 2013 rookie class. Not sure how they are planning to fit the proverbial 10 pounds into a 5 pound bag here but I presume there is a plan. There has to be another shoe to drop somewhere for this all to work even with just what has been agreed to thus far. Am I missing something?
It doesn't look like you are missing anything. Maybe that's why Delmas went back to Detroit. Not enough money for him and Long. Then again, capology is a complicated beast. Who knows how Long's deal is structured...

Most of the draft experts have the Rams going OL and WR in 1st round. With Fisher a big run guy, I can't believe they don't grab Lacy. What are other Ram fans thinking....

'stlrams said:
Most of the draft experts have the Rams going OL and WR in 1st round. With Fisher a big run guy, I can't believe they don't grab Lacy. What are other Ram fans thinking....
With the signing of J.Long and the return of three injured OL starters, they may not go OL in the 1st. They will very likely grab a safety or linebacker with one of the picks.If they grab a safety, they still need another safety, linebacker, RB, and possibly WR... and getting an OL is certainly still on the table. We'll see what the Rams' brass make their priority. I would personally prefer them to not go RB in the first.

Posting a few mock results for reference (I'm not an espn insider so no mcshay or kiper 3.0):

Walter Football (Walts Picks)

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013.php

1.16: Jonathan Cooper, G/C, North Carolina

The Rams desperately need to upgrade their offensive front prior to signing Jake Long. Jeff Fisher said it as much - he defended Sam Bradford recently by saying the blocking needs to get better up front. I expected St. Louis to make multiple upgrades to the offensive line heading into free agency. Long was one, but interior help is still needed.

I'd hate the idea of slotting two guards in the top 20, but Jonathan Cooper is the top player available. Besides, if Mike Iupati could go No. 18 overall a few years ago, Cooper can definitely be taken No. 16 overall.

*** OTHER 2013 NFL DRAFT POSSIBILITIES: ***

1. Tavon Austin, WR - I'll be shocked if Tavon Austin makes it past No. 16. A replacement for Danny Amendola is needed.

2. Kenny Vaccaro, S - St. Louis' front office has stated that it wants to improve the safety position.

Pick change; previously Tavon Austin, WR

1.22: Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia

James Laurinaitis and JoLonn Dunbar played pretty well this past season, but no one the team tried at strongside linebacker did very well. Alec Ogletree makes sense as one of the top prospects available.

Ogletree was recently arrested for a DUI. He's also had some other off-the-field issues. However, this won't deter the Rams, who have taken chances on character guys in this regime. It's worked out so far.

2.14 (46): Kawann Short, DT, Purdue

With tons of picks and not too many needs, the Rams can go with the best player available. That could be Kawann Short, who would address the lack of depth the team has at defensive tackle. Starter Kendall Langford, who disappointed a bit last year, is due $16 million over the next three years, so he may not be around much longer.

Pick change; previously Zach Ertz, TE

3.16 (78): Robert Woods, WR, USC

The Rams were unable to land Tavon Austin in the first round, so they'll have to settle for someone like Robert Woods on Day 2 to take over Danny Amendola's duties.

Pick change; previously David Bakhtiari, OT/G

4.16 (113): Joseph Randle, RB, Oklahoma State

The Rams just lost Steven Jackson to the Falcons, so they'll have to find another running back to compete with Daryl Richardson and Isaiah Pead.

Pick change; previously David Quessenberry, G/C/OT

5.16 (149): Sanders Commings, S, Georgia

The Rams already had a need at safety prior to the Quintin Mikell release. Now this hole is even more glaring.

Walter Football (Charlie Campbells Picks)

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013charlie.php

1.16: Jonathan Cooper, G, North Carolina

The Rams have to improve the interior of their offensive line, and Cooper is a good fit in their offense.

The 6-foot-2, 311-pounder was an excellent blocker for running back Giovani Bernard in 2011. Bernard had a tremendous redshirt freshman season with 1,253 yards and 13 touchdowns. Cooper is a good athlete who also is strong at the point of attack. He fits any blocking scheme and is lightning fast at pulling. Cooper is a rock-solid interior pass-protector, too. He once again did a superb job of blocking for Bernard in 2012.

Cooper was superb at the Combine. He showed surprising strength to go along with great feet and athleticism. Cooper could be a candidate to move to center in the NFL. Given his size and his elite athleticism, a shift over could easily be his best move for the pros.

1.22: Keenan Allen, WR, California

If the 2013 NFL Draft plays out like this, Keenan Allen makes the most sense for St. Louis. Plus, Danny Amendola left in free agency.

The 6-foot-2, 206-pound Allen looks like he could have the talent to be a big-time wide out. He caught 46 passes for 490 yards and five touchdowns as a freshman in 2010. Allen put together a huge 2011 season, racking up 98 receptions for 1,343 yards and six scores. To go along with ideal size, he has the speed to make big plays downfield.

The junior totaled 61 receptions for 737 yards and six touchdowns this year. He also returned a punt 69 yards for a touchdown. Weak quarterback play from his brother, Zach Maynard, hurt his opportunities.

Allen looks like the complete package as a receiver. He uses his size and strength to run routes in the short to intermediate part of the field, but has no hesitation running crossing routes and is very adept at picking up yards after the catch. Allen is an aggressive play-maker who attacks the football in the air. He is sure-handed and already well-developed.

Not only does Allen have the speed to run downfield, but he beats defenses over the top, too. Allen has a second gear and the explosion to break off big gains. He is faster than many defensive backs expect and is physical with defenders.

Allen looks like a great fit for an NFL West Coast offense. He could be an X (split end) or Z (flanker) receiver who works in all levels of the defense.

2.14 (46): Eddie Lacy, RB, Alabama

The Rams land their replacement for Steven Jackson.

Lacy is in the mold of recent Alabama running backs. Nick Saban's ball-carriers have all had a combination of size, quickness and power. Lacy (6-0, 220) is more like Mark Ingram rather than Trent Richardson. However, Lacy has more elusiveness than Ingram as Lacy has a nice spin move that he regularly used to break away from defenders.

Following his dominant performance versus Notre Dame in National Championship Game (20-140), Lacy's 2012 totals reached 1,322 yards (6.5 average) and 17 touchdowns on only 204 carries. He was the power runner for the Crimson Tide, but lost carries to standout freshman T.J. Yeldon. Lacy caught 22 passes for 189 yards and two touchdowns, too. He had a massive performance against Georgia (20-181) in the SEC Championship.

Lacy was the backup in 2011 to star back Richardson. However, when the sophomore received carries, he made the most of them running for 631 yards on 84 carries with seven touchdowns.

Pick change; previously Arthur Brown, OLB

3.16 (78): Jamie Collins, OLB, Southern Miss

The Rams need some help at outside linebacker, and Collins would also give them some pass-rushing depth.

The fast and physical Collins was a consistent producer for Southern Miss. The senior recorded 92 tackles with 10 sacks, 20 tackles for a loss, five passes batted and four forced fumbles this season. He totaled 98 tackles, 19.5 tackles for a loss, 6.5 sacks, eight passes broken up, one forced fumble and one interception in 2011.

Collins (6-3, 250) is an interesting prospect who could be a 3-4 outside linebacker as well as a 4-3 linebacker. An injury knocked him out of the Senior Bowl, but he looked great at the Combine.

Pick change; previously Terron Armstead, OT

4.16 (113): Xavier Nixon, OT, Florida

The Rams grab some more offensive line and could prepare Nixon to potentially replace Rodger Saffold; the veteran tackle is entering the final year of his contract.

Nixon (6-5, 311) had a mixed senior season as a pass-protector. His performance against Texas A&M was solid, and he dominated LSU defensive end Sam Montgomery in perhaps his best game of the season. Nixon also battled versus South Carolina with some good and bad moments against Jadeveon Clowney.

On the flip side, Nixon played against Georgia with a leg injury. It left him was slow and hobbling around the field. Jarvis Jones took advantage of that and destroyed him to the tune of 3.5 sacks.

Nixon was excellent against Florida State to close out the regular season. He completely owned defensive end Tank Carradine, keeping him out of the backfield and on roller skates in the ground game. Nixon was opening up huge running lanes as he rode Carradine around the field.

Overall, Nixon had a quality senior season. He showed good improvement from his previous years and became a more well-rounded blocker.

Nixon is quick, athletic, strong, and plays with good technique. He started out the 2011 season well with good performances in the first four games of the year, but after that, he had some major struggles in conference play, especially against Alabama and LSU. Nixon would do well blocking either team's edge-rushers before a few lapses would spoil his game. He is a good athlete with a lot of potential and a high ceiling.

Pick change; previously Travis Kelce, TE

5.16 (149): Akeem Spence, DT, Illinois

The Rams could use another defensive tackle to go with Michael Brockers.

Spence is a quick gap-shooting defensive tackle who can cause disruption at the point of attack. The junior racked up 72 tackles, seven tackles for a loss, one sack and a forced fumble this year. He had a decent 2011 season with 69 tackles, 5.5 tackles for a loss, 1.5 sacks and a forced fumble.

Pick change; previously Mike Gillislee, RB

Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-drafts/daniel-jeremiah/170650

1.16 KENNY VACCARO:

Vaccaro didn't test that well at the NFL Scouting Combine, but he is outstanding on tape. He would start from Day 1 for St. Louis; his versatility would be a luxury in Jeff Fisher's defense.

1.22 CORDARRELLE PATTERSON

Patterson very easily could go much higher than 22nd, but in some years, receivers get pushed down the board. The Rams can't afford to pass on him twice.

Draftek

http://www.drafttek.com/2013-nfl-mock-draft-round1.asp

16 Alec Ogletree LB

With the imminent departure of the Rams' Free Agent Safety Dahl to the 49ers and the loss of two WRs, this pick could easily be WR or S, but Ogletree's range on defense makes him hard to pass up here. Ogletree's pass coverage, athleticism, and ILB/OLB versatility will prove more valuable.

Alternate Pick #1

Kenny Vaccaro

Alternate Pick #2

Sheldon Richardson

22 Sheldon Richardson DT

Can you ever have too many pass-rushers? Not according to HC Jeff Fisher . . . and a fresh DL is a feisty DL, so let's platoon them like the Giants of old. Richardson is an athletic, penetrating 3-technique DT who will excel on the Rams' turf.

Alternate Pick #1

Eddie Lacy

Alternate Pick #2

Sylvester Williams

46 Eddie Lacy RB

Adios Steven Jackson . . . Hello Eddie Lacy! The most complete back in this year's draft lands right in Coach Jeff Fisher's lap, where he is needed . . . and just in case you have forgotten how well he performs, well just watch this!

Alternate Pick #1

Robert Woods

Alternate Pick #2

Terrance Williams

FBG/NFL Insider/Fantasy guru Cecil Lammey

http://denverssportsstation.com/page.php?page_id=90

16. St. Louis Rams FS, Kenny Vaccaro, Texas The upgrade to their secondary continues. Last year they added CB Janoris Jenkins in the first-round. This year they add Vaccaro, a playmaking Safety with high football intelligence and nose for the football.

22. St. Louis Rams (from Washington) WR, Keenan Allen, California The Rams need to add weapons to the WR position, especially if they lose Danny Amendola in free agency. Allen has some A.J. Green (Bengals) to his game because of his body control although he is not quite as explosive. Scouts like his size, toughness, sure hands and compare him to Jordy Nelson (Packers).

FBG Andy Dufresne

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=679508

16. St. Louis - Kenny Vaccaro - FS Texas

Both of their terrible safeties are gone from last year. It might not be Vaccaro, but they're taking a safety early.

22. St. Louis (from Washington) - Tavon Austin - WR West Virginia

Too much talent to pass up here. They have to stockpile WRs until they have a full set.

46. St. Louis - Larry Warford - OG Kentucky

78. St. Louis - Sio Moore - OLB Connecticut

FBG Bracie Smathers (pre-free agency)

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=678374

16 STL - Jonathan Cooper OG North Carolina

Rams offensive line needs all the help it can get and in this case they get BPA at this point of the draft.

22 STL - Tyler Eifert TE Notre Dame

The Rams added some young wideouts last year so they get the top TE of this draft class and pair him with Lance Kendricks to run double TE sets.

CBSSports

Rang

Brugler

Kirwan

Prisco

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft

16:

Cordarrelle Patterson, WR

Kenny Vaccaro, FS

Kenny Vaccaro, FS

Chance Warmack, OG

22:

Matt Elam, SS

Tavon Austin, WR

Keenan Allen, WR

Tavon Austin, WR

I'm going with:

1.16 Tavon Austin - WR

1.22 Matt Elam - SS

2.14 Kyle Long - OG

3.16 Bacarri Rambo - FS

4.16 Sio Moore - OLB

5.16 Christine Michael - RB

6.16 Akeem Spence - DT

7.16 Jasper Collins - WR

Lacy in the 2nd round would be very, very interesting! Not sure if he truly drops that far, though, but a Warmack/Elam/Lacy/Robert Woods draft in the first three rounds would make me very, very happy.

'TheFanatic said:
'Brady Marino said:
Lacy in the 2nd round would be very, very interesting! Not sure if he truly drops that far, though, but a Warmack/Elam/Lacy/Robert Woods draft in the first three rounds would make me very, very happy.
:goodposting: Amen, Brother!
I agree that Lacy falling to the 46th pick would be a gift too good to pass. As he is likely the first RB off the board though it just seems very unlikely to me. If Fish/Snead really want him I think they have to jump at 22 at the latest (Isn't 22 roughly the same pick we took Jackson with as the first RB selected?).Edit to add: Steven Jackson was the 24th overall in the 2004 NFL Draft.

Users who are viewing this thread