What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Official** 2015 Washington Redskins Thread YOU LIKE THAT! (1 Viewer)

My impression of Carrier is that he is a good athlete, but never put it together to be a good TE. Per Wikipedia, he was an undrafted free agent and spent time with the Raiders, Eagles, and then San Fran. In San Fran, he signed a 2 year, $3.3 M contract extension. So he must have done something good.

I have been pretty underwhelmed with what I've seen of Carrier so far. But I think he's been mostly asked to do things at a blocker that I don't think he has the natural size or strength to do. He may be better suited as a pass catcher. His measurables actually suggest he is more athletic than Jordan Reed but I don't think that translates to the field at all. I'm honestly not expecting much from Carrier but would not be surprised to see him do relatively well with expanded opportunity in the passing game.

I think the real opportunity created by Reed's absence may be for Crowder. I like what he brings to the table in the slot much better than Roberts and hopefully he can step up as a weapon for Kirk in the short to intermediate areas and in the middle of the field.

I have been pretty underwhelmed with what I've seen of Carrier so far. But I think he's been mostly asked to do things at a blocker that I don't think he has the natural size or strength to do. He may be better suited as a pass catcher. His measurables actually suggest he is more athletic than Jordan Reed but I don't think that translates to the field at all. I'm honestly not expecting much from Carrier but would not be surprised to see him do relatively well with expanded opportunity in the passing game.

I think the real opportunity created by Reed's absence may be for Crowder. I like what he brings to the table in the slot much better than Roberts and hopefully he can step up as a weapon for Kirk in the short to intermediate areas and in the middle of the field.
I'm hearing a lot of "just sub in Crowder for Reed". The problem is those are two different "positions" even if lining up the same. Reed in the game needs a LB covering him because of his size, and that's advantage Redskins. Or they put a Corner on him and he can bully them. Crowder is an easy cover. Extra CB. Done. Hope he wins the matchup, but it isn't a mismatch like with Reed.

Sebowski said:
VaTerp said:

I'm hearing a lot of "just sub in Crowder for Reed". The problem is those are two different "positions" even if lining up the same. Reed in the game needs a LB covering him because of his size, and that's advantage Redskins. Or they put a Corner on him and he can bully them. Crowder is an easy cover. Extra CB. Done. Hope he wins the matchup, but it isn't a mismatch like with Reed.
I realize it's not as simple as putting in Crowder for Reed. It may call for other personnel changes, other formations, other play calls. But at the same time, when you're losing you receiver who's most difficult to cover, it makes sense to get another receiver who's difficult to cover on the field. If things go right Cousins is not going to be taking a long time to get the ball out of his hands this game or this year. He needs guys who are open, or who can be expected to be open when the ball arrives, or he's throwing to nothing.

I just picked up Leonard Hankerson in my fantasy league.

I never thought I'd ever speak those words.

Any chance we get some sort of announcement about Reed's absence, or is it just going to be a day-by-day thing?

Important info in terms of keeping or retaining him on fantasy rosters.

I didnt mean to suggest that Crowder is "subbing for Reed" and agree that he will see the field and given opportunities to develop regardless of Reed's status. But in the short term I think he will benefit from additional targets by running some of the routes and operating in areas of the field where Reed did a lot of good work in the first 4 weeks of the season.

Long term we don't have a player who can do the things a healthy Jordan Reed does. I said in his thread that I think he's a special player. His ability to get open and make plays with the ball in his hands are special at the TE position. I just hope he can get then stay relatively healthy for the most part of the next few seasons. The knee and hamstring issues are one thing but the multiple concussions are potentially career threatening. Let's hope that's not the case.

Any chance we get some sort of announcement about Reed's absence, or is it just going to be a day-by-day thing?

Latest I heard was no timetable. I guess it depends how long it takes for him to get through the concussion protocol and how serious the knee/ankle injuries are.

Latest I heard was no timetable. I guess it depends how long it takes for him to get through the concussion protocol and how serious the knee/ankle injuries are.
Last time, Reed was day to day and it dragged on for 4 weeks and then IR. If you listen to Gruden, he has nothing positive to say about it. I expect Reed to be out multiple weeks and I will be pleasantly surprised if he is back sooner.

My daughter has a concussion last spring. They are scary.

You know what types of teams have been home teams in London?
Wait, it's one thing to play a game in London but it's quite another for Redskins to be the team that gives up the home game. Is that what you've heard, that'd be the home team?

Wait, it's one thing to play a game in London but it's quite another for Redskins to be the team that gives up the home game. Is that what you've heard, that'd be the home team?
That tweet says Redskins considering one of their home games. Seems strange than Dan would be willing to do that.

That tweet says Redskins considering one of their home games. Seems strange than Dan would be willing to do that.
If you could exchange one of the stupid Division Thursday Night games for a London game I'd be all over that.

Hang 10 said:
Why not? Less chance the opposing team's fans will take half the seats. Which will happen until they get the hell out of the dump called Landover.

Last edited by a moderator:
MattFancy said:
Hang 10 said:
Whoops, I missed his first post. I read earlier something similar on twitter but it didn't mention the home game part. Crazy.

MattFancy said:
Hang 10 said:
There's so many people wanting to see them that this continent can't hold them all.

Marvelous said:

Last time, Reed was day to day and it dragged on for 4 weeks and then IR. If you listen to Gruden, he has nothing positive to say about it. I expect Reed to be out multiple weeks and I will be pleasantly surprised if he is back sooner.

I remember each week here, waiting to see if he would play or not, expecting he'd be ready, and then boom at the last minute he'd be inactive again. Frustrating time.

More importantly, is your daughter OK now?

Hang 10 said:
Yep. Historically, the home teams have usually been teams that struggle to sell tickets. There have been a couple exceptions, but it's mostly been teams like Jax, Miami, Oakland, etc. There have been many signs over the years that Snyder is struggling with ticket sales and this is another one.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Steelers game in London next year. Keep all those fans out of Fed Ex.

Hang 10 said:
Why not? Less chance the opposing team's fans will take half the seats. Which will happen until they get the hell out of the dump called Landover.
Landover is hardly one of the top reasons for so many opposing fans. Losing year after year is the top reason. Win and all of a sudden the stadium experience is much better.

The only possible exception I can think of was the Steelers game in 2008. We were 6-2 and the place was still full of Pitt fans (who also had a good record). But, interestingly, there were 20 year gaps in Pittsburgh visiting Washington. Before 2008, they came here in 1988 and 1968. So, 2008 was only their second trip to DC since winning Super Bowls and gaining fans. And, of course, Pittsburgh is a special (annoying) case. Along with Dallas, they probably have the largest nation-wide following. Not sure anything was going to stop that invasion.

MattFancy said:
Hang 10 said:
There's so many people wanting to see them that this continent can't hold them all.
Over 7.8 billion people checked in on training camp news.

Yep. Historically, the home teams have usually been teams that struggle to sell tickets. There have been a couple exceptions, but it's mostly been teams like Jax, Miami, Oakland, etc. There have been many signs over the years that Snyder is struggling with ticket sales and this is another one.
That was my first thought as well. With a shrinking waiting list, taking seats out of the stadium, and losing records almost every year, a game in London is one more sign that ticket sales are hurting.

Last Sunday, I had to drop off one of my kids somewhere so I listened to a few minutes of the game on the radio. I haven't listened to the radio broadcast in a long time.

The first thing I noticed was that I didn't hear Sonny. I thought maybe they have finally gave him a seat next to Sammy, but I guess he's still part of the broadcast because I heard replays of the Garcon TD later. He just didn't say anything at all when I was in the car. But, man, Sonny is getting up there! I wonder how much longer he'll be part of the broadcast. I've heard him during the pregame. He sounds really old.

The second thing I noticed was that Cooley over-analyzed every play. Pretty much every play I heard was followed by Cooley quickly breaking down everything. At first I thought, "Wow, this is cool." Then when he did it for the 10th play in a row, I thought, "OK, this is a bit overkill. Stop talking, Chris." I like him on his regular afternoon radio show, but for some reason I just don't think his voice works on the broadcast. Not sure what it is, but he sounded weird.

Third thing I noticed is something I've always known: Larry Michael is horrible, both his voice and content. I remember back to the days of listening to the radio broadcast while watching the tv broadcast. I loved doing that. I stopped once Herzog was fired and Michael took over.

Anyone listen to the radio broadcast much?

Marvelous said:

I remember each week here, waiting to see if he would play or not, expecting he'd be ready, and then boom at the last minute he'd be inactive again. Frustrating time.

More importantly, is your daughter OK now?
Thanks for asking Fatness.

My daughter is fine. It was a mild concussion, but symptom persisted for a few days. During the first few days, she was told to do nothing (no school, reading, tv, music, texting). She slept a lot the first day, but got really antsy after that.

The Athletic Department (she plays high school softball) was really slow to clear her and then they ramped up activity over 3 days. So it took her nearly two weeks to get back on the field.

I now understand why baseball as a 7 day disabled list for concussions. It give everyone time to slow down and let things heal.

Redskins-Falcons: Key matchups to watch in Sunday’s game

Washington DE Chris Baker vs. Atlanta RG Chris Chester

Baker faces a familiar face in former Redskin Chris Chester, who spent the last five seasons as Washington’s starting right guard. Released in the spring, Chester landed in Atlanta with Shanahan. Baker is coming off of a career day with two sacks against Philly and will try to carry that success over into this week. The Falcons also do well in pass protection, and have given up only six sacks. But it’s important that Baker and his fellow linemen and Washington’s pass-rushers get to Matt Ryan, who is second in the league with 1,202 passing yards.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2015/10/09/redskins-falcons-key-matchups-to-watch-in-sundays-game/

Oof!

The Washington Redskins were without starting cornerbacks Chris Culliver and DeAngelo Hall, and wide receiver DeSean Jackson as they held their final practice of the week in advance of Sunday’s game against the Atlanta Falcons.

It appears highly unlikely that any of the three will play Sunday at the Georgia Dome, but the team will provide an official update later this afternoon.

Culliver, plagued by inflammation in his left knee, and Hall, still recovering from a partially torn tendon in his right big toe, were not in attendance during Friday’s session. Jackson, working his way back from a hamstring strain that has sidelined him since Week 1, wore sneakers and only watched as his teammates practiced.

Culliver, who didn’t practice last week but still played against the Eagles, hasn’t practiced all week. Hall has worked on the side with members of the training staff, and tested out his toe Thursday, running through one individual drill rep. Jackson took part in individual drills Wednesday and Thursday, but didn’t attempt to do so Friday.

Inside linebacker Perry Riley, who has practiced in a limited capacity because of a strained hamstring this week after missing the last two games, again appeared to be limited Friday.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2015/10/09/chris-culliver-desean-jackson-deangelo-hall-not-on-the-field-in-weeks-final-practice/

Oof!

The Washington Redskins were without starting cornerbacks Chris Culliver and DeAngelo Hall, and wide receiver DeSean Jackson as they held their final practice of the week in advance of Sunday’s game against the Atlanta Falcons.

It appears highly unlikely that any of the three will play Sunday at the Georgia Dome, but the team will provide an official update later this afternoon.

Culliver, plagued by inflammation in his left knee, and Hall, still recovering from a partially torn tendon in his right big toe, were not in attendance during Friday’s session. Jackson, working his way back from a hamstring strain that has sidelined him since Week 1, wore sneakers and only watched as his teammates practiced.

Culliver, who didn’t practice last week but still played against the Eagles, hasn’t practiced all week. Hall has worked on the side with members of the training staff, and tested out his toe Thursday, running through one individual drill rep. Jackson took part in individual drills Wednesday and Thursday, but didn’t attempt to do so Friday.

Inside linebacker Perry Riley, who has practiced in a limited capacity because of a strained hamstring this week after missing the last two games, again appeared to be limited Friday.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2015/10/09/chris-culliver-desean-jackson-deangelo-hall-not-on-the-field-in-weeks-final-practice/
Heard on the radio, Hall, Culliver, Jackson, and Reed are out for Sunday.

Just heard on Redskins at One: Jordan Reed is still in stage 1 of the concussion protocol and has not been with the team. Presumably this means he is still experiencing symptoms can not do anything. That mean no tv, music, videos, texting, reading.

Just heard on Redskins at One: Jordan Reed is still in stage 1 of the concussion protocol and has not been with the team. Presumably this means he is still experiencing symptoms can not do anything. That mean no tv, music, videos, texting, reading.
Correct, no team meetings, nothing.

From PFT:

Trent Robinson not fined for hits on defenseless playersPosted by Mike Florio on October 9, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
During Sunday’s game against the Eagles, Washington lost 30 yards of field position on a pair of unnecessary roughness penalties called against defensive back Trent Robinson.

According to the NFL (and as Washington safety Dashon Goldson suggested during a recent appearance on PFT Live), Robinson was fined for neither hit.

The first foul, arising from a hit on Philadelphia receiver Jordan Matthews in the third quarter, appeared to be a shoulder-to-shoulder hit. The second foul, occurring on the first play of the fourth quarter, happened when Eagles tight end Zach Ertz caught a past and lowered his head into Robinson’s chest.

The lack of fines suggests that the flags were thrown in error, which is more evidence that these fouls should be subject to replay review. With 15 yards given to the offense whenever one of these penalties is called, the defense should have a way to obtain a more deliberate review of what often occurs on a bang-bang basis.

The game's not on here so I'll have to depend on you guys for the real game story when I get back today.

When they beat the Rams Kevin Sheehan predicted the Skins would go 9-7. Then came the stinker against the Giants. Last week they played a pretty good game and came from behind to beat the Eagles. After that Sheehan, Cooley, and Galdi kicked their Cousins praise into high gear. Cooley said he's one of the 15 best QB's in the league right now and can take a team to the Super Bowl right now.

Those guys sure get nutty when Cousins has a good game.

I think today's game will be ugly, playing from behind all day, throwing all day, and losing by at least 14. But what do I know? Go Skins.

The game's not on here so I'll have to depend on you guys for the real game story when I get back today.

When they beat the Rams Kevin Sheehan predicted the Skins would go 9-7. Then came the stinker against the Giants. Last week they played a pretty good game and came from behind to beat the Eagles. After that Sheehan, Cooley, and Galdi kicked their Cousins praise into high gear. Cooley said he's one of the 15 best QB's in the league right now and can take a team to the Super Bowl right now.

Those guys sure get nutty when Cousins has a good game.

I think today's game will be ugly, playing from behind all day, throwing all day, and losing by at least 14. But what do I know? Go Skins.
Lol

Inactive list: QB Robert Griffin III, WR DeSean Jackson, TE Jordan Reed, G Arie Kouandjio, DE Frank Kearse, CB DeAngelo Hall, CB Chris Culliver

Time for a Doc Walker rant about "next man up" and "manhood issue" and injured players being deceased and "cyborgs". :)

Looking really good after Quarter 1---as they have pretty much all season, with mixed follow-up. Still, it's pretty cool seeing them hang with the Falcons.

Defense looked pretty good most of the game. If Cousins would have been sharper early we would have ran away with the game early on. I know Ross fell down on that OT Int, but that needs to be a better pass.

Cant wait for Gruden's presser to explain away all of Kirk's poor throws today.

Overall though I'm encouraged. The D really showed me something today. Breeland is a stud and Blackmon showed much better than I would have thought.

Looking forward to seeing what this offense can do when D-Jax, and hopefully Reed, return. I am concerned about Matt Jones toe injury though.

Defense looked good, with the possible exception of the run D. But Freeman has been setting the league on fire, so I won't whine about that.

Pass protection was excellent.

There's a lot to like here. And this game turned out way better than I expected.

Defense exceeds expectations. Running game exceeds expectations. Pass pro exceeds expectations. Still lost. I blame RG3 and Shanahan.

Sorry guys. My fault for the Redskins lost. I selected Cousins to be my QB in fantasy football. The Redskins never had a chance.

I thought the offense really struggled to get in sync. For 3 1/2 quarters, Cousins really did not play well at all. Many throws were way off the mark. He threw behind a lot of receivers. Then he comes out and looks so sharp for the last drive of regulation.

Matt Ryan also looked pretty bad all day. Not sure if it was the Redskin defense being good (maybe confusing him) and Ryan's throws just being off. The pass rush looked pretty good this week, which really helps.

Went to a Redskins watch party here in Houston (just because I wanted to be a part of the Astros fun) wasn't really expecting anything, but we did kinda look like a team. Being a MIchigan fan, I have noticed that with the right coaching anything is possible. Our Dline is pretty legit, Freeman did wear them down in the 4th, but that strip at the 2 that just happened to roll right to Jones was a fluke. Even though Captn Kirk bailed them out last week, he really killed them this week. To many balls behind Wr's Garcon looked to be open almost all day, and he couldn't fit in there. I like the way this team is playing. But in this league you need fantastic, Qb play. Not sure Geoff from Cal or Cook from MSU is there answer, I for the love of anything please no Jones from Ohio. This team needs a Qb to make the throws. Until then this is what we get.

Users who are viewing this thread