What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2016 Democratic National Convention*** With no accountability, sky's the limit (2 Viewers)

WTF? Where the hell do you get this?? That is such bs. I know a thing or two about the Islamic culture and this is one stupid stereotype.
I get it from the hypothesis that when a culture actively subjugates women on one dimension (expecting them to wear a hijab), it probably subjugates them on other dimensions too (looking the other way at domestic violence).  That seems pretty obvious to me.  

There is no way I will defend the Scott Adams tweet, but had a comedian made that joke in front of a live crowd, it would be considered okay.  Crazy how that works. 

Wow. 

Women like Mrs. Khan are not "forced" to wear Hijabs. They're raised to do so from the time they are children. As with almost all religious and cultural traditions of this sort, it is more a matter of mental comfort than anything else. Women like Mrs. Khan don't spend their days thinking about it anymore than religious Jews think about the implications of wearing yarmulkas. There is NO connection between how an American Muslim woman dresses and her level of independence or how she is treated by her spouse. 
It seems to me that - at the least - there is a colorable argument that  a hijab or (even moreso) a burqa is inherently sexist because it requires a woman to cover herself in a way a man does not have to. And this is regardless of whether the garment is worn by choice or not.* Its the reason France banned burqas a few years ago. 

As a result, people who believe in equality should not support either.

*Because if you are born into a culture that requires women to cover up, is it really a choice if you continue the tradition?

It seems to me that - at the least - there is a colorable argument that  a hijab or (even moreso) a burqa is inherently sexist because it requires a woman to cover herself in a way a man does not have to. And this is regardless of whether the garment is worn by choice or not.* Its the reason France banned burqas a few years ago. 

As a result, people who believe in equality should not support either.

*Because if you are born into a culture that requires women to cover up, is it really a choice if you continue the tradition?
It's OK for men to go shirtless but not women pretty much everywhere in the US. Sexist? Most cultures have differences in apparel etc for men vs. women. It's not sexist.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2000/jul/18/uselections2000.usa

A book out today claims that 26 years ago she called Paul Fray, her husband's campaign manager at the time, a "####### Jew *******". 

Mrs Clinton denied the allegation and pressed the president into supporting her, but the author, Jerry Oppenheimer, said: "Three witnesses have now publicly acknowledged that she said it."

Mr Fray, 57, said yesterday: "I was a little defensive about it. I looked to the floor thinking 'How do I respond?' I didn't mind being called a son-of-a-#####, but when it came to attacking my culture, that's a whole 'nother ballgame.

Mrs Fray said that her husband's recollection of the meeting, which lasted about an hour, was accurate. Mr McDonald said: "I don't know what provoked it or what. I just remember that one little comment."

Very true. I'm sorry to have waded into the debate without proper vetting. No joke. I did not look for proper context.  

In this context, a poor call on Adams's part.      
Btw I love how people told you you were wrong to discuss it then people proceeded to discuss it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread