What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** 2016 Summer Olympics (1 Viewer)

Thanks  

Sucks to lose a medal based on a mechanical (for lack of better term) error.  Good thing the US has plenty of medals to spare I suppose.  

Those exchanges are a small but huge part of the relay.
Didn't the men and/or women, in the 100 and/or 400 relay, have a problem over several Olympics in the '96-'00-'04 time frame, getting DQ'd more than once before?  

It is small if they handle it like I'm sure they do routinely in practice, if they don't in a pressure situation, it is massive and everything (assuming otherwise, based purely on speed, the US historically has fielded very competitive teams).

Last edited by a moderator:
Bolt with 3x gold in the 100m, 200m and 4x100m

Carl Lewis with 4x gold in the Long Jump, 2x gold in the 100m, 2x gold in the 4x100m, 1 gold and 1 silver in the 200m

Ignore what they did at the Worlds or other meets... who gets your vote?

Bolt with 3x gold in the 100m, 200m and 4x100m

Carl Lewis with 4x gold in the Long Jump, 2x gold in the 100m, 2x gold in the 4x100m, 1 gold and 1 silver in the 200m

Ignore what they did at the Worlds or other meets... who gets your vote?
Bolt, no doubt. Only reason he doesn't have any long jump medals is because he never tried. 

One of the track commentators (Boldin?) noted that the margin of victory when he shattered the 100 m. record, when they are usually improved on by small incremental decreases, represented a gap that would typically take 20-30 years to bridge.

Freak. Mutant. Punctuated equilibrium, track style.

US men's sprinters have been somewhat lackluster the last decade or so. 

The biggest reason I keep hearing is track keeps losing athletes to basketball and football. Do you guys agree? 

Gay & Gatlin are all but done, Bromell is young and showing promise but I'm not impressed yet. Putting him on anchor was dumb. 

US men's sprinters have been somewhat lackluster the last decade or so. 

The biggest reason I keep hearing is track keeps losing athletes to basketball and football. Do you guys agree? 

Gay & Gatlin are all but done, Bromell is young and showing promise but I'm not impressed yet. Putting him on anchor was dumb. 
Taking over Jamica doesn't seem like it would be that hard...

There's a major changing of the guard coming in the sprints. Bolt, Powell & Blake gone from Jamaica and Gatlin/Gay from the US. Exciting times coming up in the 2020 games (or maybe not) , anyone's guess to who the stars will be. 

How many Mount Rushmore athletes in their sports did we see in this Olympics? Phelps, Ladecky, and Bolt are no-brainers. Hell, you could make a case that any or all of these three belong on a general all-time Mount Rushmore of Olympic athletes. I realize I'm projecting a little with Katie because she can probably compete in 3 more Olympics if she wants, but she's already accomplished so much across 2 Games and was just so dominant. She's not a lightning-in-a-bottle athlete like Bob Beamon.

The media talks like Biles is one, though I don't know enough about gymnastics and its history to say whether or not that's true. Seems like there's been a bunch of great gymnasts.

Katie Walsh, I guess, since beach v-ball is newer and she's won a ton of metal.

There may be others in disciplines I know nothing about like shooting or diving or weight-lifting. 

There's a major changing of the guard coming in the sprints. Bolt, Powell & Blake gone from Jamaica and Gatlin/Gay from the US. Exciting times coming up in the 2020 games (or maybe not) , anyone's guess to who the stars will be. 
Canada's Andre De Grasse (age: 21) will be favored to win the 100 and 200m in 2020, imo.   

Are you guys under the impression that the athletes don't like the media attention they get at the Olympics? It's not like they get much the rest of the time.

Pretty cool to see the American woman triathlete cross the finish line for a gold and immediately break down crying.  Raw emotion.

Pretty cool to see the American woman triathlete cross the finish line for a gold and immediately break down crying.  Raw emotion.
Did you see the men's 400M final the other day? Puerto Rican runner who was one of the favorites false starts (DQ'd) and almost immedietly breaks down. Can't imagine. 4 years leading up to this moment and then you don't even get to run. 

Yeah, I understand why they went zero tolerance on false starts, but it still seems pretty awful to end someone's Olympics like that.

\
Need to give you a second shot in the final imo. Or make it a yellow red card thing. Get two false starts for the whole event. 

:thumbup:  Her name is Gwen Jorgensen.  (Such a quintessential Minnesotan name.)  She was on track for a medal in London but got a flat tire on her bike and finished way back in the pack.  

I wonder if the women's basketball team will lose again in our lifetimes. 
The US women are probably about where the men would have been in 1980 or 1984 in comparison to the rest of the world if the pros were allowed to play. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you one of those guys who takes huge favorites on the money line? 

Men's water polo should be fun. Always a good time when the Serbs and Croats get together. 

the men will lose a game before the women will

i'd bet serious coin on that  :moneybag:
Well, yeah. 

I was trying to put the ladies team today vs the world in contrast to where the world may have been against the men.

The Dream Team was great, but the world was already starting - slowly - to catch up by '92.

In, say, 1976 - had NBA players been eligible - they'd have won every game by 80 points. 

Users who are viewing this thread