What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** 2016 Summer Olympics (1 Viewer)

Yeah...I saw this on my flight from Europe yesterday.  I did notice Hammer had clip in shoe and pedals va toe clips which did help more than they let on (they didn't mention).

It was striking to me how much technology matters vis a vis doping these days.  I'm of the opinion almost all these guys are on something and to not see them blasting the all time greats was sort of surprising to me.  
Nice pickup, I didnt notice the clipless pedals... definitely a difference there. And also what would have been super easy to fix. Wonder why they didnt? 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/08/21/this-ethiopian-runner-just-won-silver-in-the-marathon-and-then-he-led-a-protest-of-his-government-that-could-land-him-in-jail/?tid=sm_fb

An Ethiopian medalist just led a protest that could land him in jail.

At a news conference following the race, he reiterated his defiant message.

"The Ethiopian government is killing my people, so I stand with all protests anywhere, as Oromo is my tribe," Lilesa said. "My relatives are in prison and if they talk about democratic rights they are killed."

It was a remarkable turn of events — within seconds, Lilesa had gone from a national hero to a man who might not be able to return to his home country. In addition to those killed, many Oromo protesters are currently languishing in prison.

In Ethiopia, the state broadcaster did not air a replay of the finish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously the basketball team turned it on at the right time, so that's certainly good news.

We had some close games at this tournament, but it seems like the talent gap is getting wider again.  It shows at the lower levels too, as we've rolled through every youth tournament for the past 5 or 6 years without even being tested.

Spain- Would have liked to see how they would have played at full strength.  Pau was asked to do too much with Marc and Ibaka out. Their main guards are still in their prime (or just hitting it in the case of Rubio)  and they've started to back-fill the roster with some talented younger guys, but they just don't have the size to compete with us.

Argentina- Their golden generation have gotten old and nobody else has stepped into their shoes.

France- Obviously a few good pieces, but no superstar (with Parker past his prime).

Serbia- A great accomplishment to make the final but it really wasn't a very talented roster.

Australia-  They certainly could have beaten us, but again, not a ton of high  talent. I wonder how they would have been with Simmons in the mix, but apparently he has rubbed some people over there the wrong way. Wonder if he'll even be a part of the program going forward.

Ironically, the team that seems best equipped to give us a run going forward didn't even qualify. Canada has some young NBA player and some more really talented guys on the way (there's a few VERY high level talents at the HS level that obviously wont be a factor for at least another 5 years).  A Wiggins-Murray led Canadian team with some decent role players (Thompson, Lyles, Joseph) could be dangerous at some point if one or 2 of their younger guys pan out.

Great - thanks Coca-Cola for having a bunch of foreigners signing America. Going to be fun reading facebook the next couple of days.

Obviously the basketball team turned it on at the right time, so that's certainly good news.

We had some close games at this tournament, but it seems like the talent gap is getting wider again.  It shows at the lower levels too, as we've rolled through every youth tournament for the past 5 or 6 years without even being tested.

Spain- Would have liked to see how they would have played at full strength.  Pau was asked to do too much with Marc and Ibaka out. Their main guards are still in their prime (or just hitting it in the case of Rubio)  and they've started to back-fill the roster with some talented younger guys, but they just don't have the size to compete with us.

Argentina- Their golden generation have gotten old and nobody else has stepped into their shoes.

France- Obviously a few good pieces, but no superstar (with Parker past his prime).

Serbia- A great accomplishment to make the final but it really wasn't a very talented roster.

Australia-  They certainly could have beaten us, but again, not a ton of high  talent. I wonder how they would have been with Simmons in the mix, but apparently he has rubbed some people over there the wrong way. Wonder if he'll even be a part of the program going forward.

Ironically, the team that seems best equipped to give us a run going forward didn't even qualify. Canada has some young NBA player and some more really talented guys on the way (there's a few VERY high level talents at the HS level that obviously wont be a factor for at least another 5 years).  A Wiggins-Murray led Canadian team with some decent role players (Thompson, Lyles, Joseph) could be dangerous at some point if one or 2 of their younger guys pan out.
This was probably Spain's best chance and they weren't really that close. Marc would've made some difference, but then you could say Lebron, Curry, eyebrow etc were all hurt too. 

just cruised by the ceremonies during Bar Rescue break .. 

are they staging a #######  Dulcolax commercial?

dancing broccoli and protozoa and soooooothing new age warbling?

:unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn. It's over.  :kicksrock:

Despite the variety of location-related cluster####s, the actual games were the best I can remember. Getting to see two GOATs ride into the sunset and two more have their coming out parties in the same year was special - will be tough for future Olympics to live up to that. And it wasn't just a four-person games, every night seemed to turn up another inspirational story. Has me hoping LA can win its bid and we can experience something like that in the US. 

See you all in 2020.  :thumbup:

Nice pickup, I didnt notice the clipless pedals... definitely a difference there. And also what would have been super easy to fix. Wonder why they didnt? 
It either had to be safety, Hammer wouldn't do it otherwise, or they didn't catch it.  

Like I said, I was more surprised the old times held up so well considering the doping I think runs rampant at the top levels.  At least it gives me hope the true freaks can still do without doping.  

It either had to be safety, Hammer wouldn't do it otherwise, or they didn't catch it.  

Like I said, I was more surprised the old times held up so well considering the doping I think runs rampant at the top levels.  At least it gives me hope the true freaks can still do without doping.  
given the look of that helmet, I'd think it had to be something they didn't catch rather than a safety concern. which is strange, given that they took the energy and time and had to get the right sized bike there for her. with the sprinter, they made special shoes for him- I'd think they'd do the same for her and put the straps on the pedals. as you well know- riding in the straps loses quite a bit of power transfer relative to the clipless... kinda makes the point of the study.. pointless.

yeah- I was surprised at how well things held up. figured the way people train now- with the advances in understanding science, health, nutrition, etc- that the modern athletes would just be stronger/faster. 

After serving as NBC's prime-time Olympic host since 1992, Costas is stepping down and handing duties over to Mike Tirico beginning with the 2018 Winter Olympics in PyeongChang, South Korea, NBC announced Thursday

After serving as NBC's prime-time Olympic host since 1992, Costas is stepping down and handing duties over to Mike Tirico beginning with the 2018 Winter Olympics in PyeongChang, South Korea, NBC announced Thursday
Tirico is a friggin' tool, but GOOD RIDDANCE TO THAT ##### COSTAS!!!   :pickle:

DON'T LET IT HIT YA WHERE THE GOOD LORD SPLIT YA!

:pickle:

Yeah, not surprised.  A few people with government ties got richer by screwing the public which was really all that was ever going to happen anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread