What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2018 St. Louis Cardinals Thread*** -- Matheny gone (1 Viewer)

Does anybody know if the Cardinals hat in the Blues colors is available for purchase anywhere or did they JUST do that as a promotion/giveaway?

Stupid fine print. 

Additional Information

Please note: the Blues and Cardinals themed hat is available only with the purchase of a special theme night ticket. All theme night purchases for events that include giveaway items will come with a game ticket and a separate voucher. The voucher can be exchanged at the game or pre-game festival for that event's giveaway item. You will not be able to receive the item unless you have your voucher with you at the event. You may pick up your hat at Riverview Corner, on Terrace level across from section 434, from 5:45 to 8:00 p.m.

Off-topic, but shout-out to the Blues fans up in here.  When that shot in the 3rd beat the goalie but bounced off both posts... well, that's not a moment Blues fans are used to.

This team is not enjoyable to watch. 
My big realization is I didn't give Peralta enough credit for how he fields his position.  He's not a rangy guy who makes a lot of diving plays like more athletic SSs, but makes up for it by adjusting his position between batters and pitches.  He makes it seem like he only gets the stuff hit right at him because he's in the right spot so often before the ball is hit.  

But yeah, the whole experience is not aesthetically pleasing.  I really enjoy watching Martinez pitch and so far hearing "Rosenthal" doesn't make me need a shot of Mylanta, but as a group they don't play good D, or run the bases well, or work a lot of counts.  

Do you think Diaz can play 2B?
BTW, this is how a lot of organizations find their 2Bs.  They stockpile SSs and the ones who can't hang get moved over to 2B. 

Wong is a bit unusual as a 2B who never was a serious prospect at SS.  In college he played a lot of CF, but IIRC not any SS.

This team isn't fun to watch because it's a different GD lineup every night.  So every night, there's more discomfort and wondering to myself why so-and-so isn't in the lineup tonight.  At this point, I would make my daily lineup:

3B  Carpenter

RF  Piscotty

1B  Holliday

CF  Grichuk

C  Molina

SS  Diaz

LF  Hazelbaker

2B  Wong

P

Bench:  Gyorko, Adams, Moss

I would consider Gyorko over Wong as he's currently hitting much better, but I still prefer Wong's defense and I think Wong is just off to a slow start and I think platooning your 2B so much is a recipe for infield disaster.  The 2B and SS positions on this team need consistency and reps.  Hazelbaker and Diaz should not be coming out of the lineup at all at this point with the way they are hitting.  Grichuk has finally turned it on and his plate discipline is improving dramatically (he's actually 2nd on the team in walks behind Carpenter and is striking out less than he started off).  Molina seems to have turned around his hitting decline.  Holliday also seems to be doing better than I would have expected.  Carpenter and Piscotty are fixtures on this team along with Molina.

Adams just isn't right and he's too much of a liability against LHP.  Moss offers some great pop off the bench but I don't see him above any of those other guys.  I'd like to get Gyorko a bit more playing time as he's come up with some timely hits so far this year, but again, no way I pull Diaz for him even with the errors and I personally like Wong over him.

As for the pitching staff, this team needs to adopt the KC style of 7-8-9 guys with Oh, Siegrest, and Rosenthal.  These guys have been lights out (especially Oh).  Broxton pitching way too much (even though he's been far better this year so far than last).  Matheny needs a shorter leash with the starters right now, particularly Waino (ouch) and Leake because they seem to be hitting a mid game wall. 

All that said, this team is 2nd in MLB in scoring and only 1 run behind MLB leading Chicago Cubs.  They are also 2nd in run differential behind Chicago at +35.  Their record should be better than 10-9 and will likely correct itself soon if they can keep up the hitting.  They are currently on pace to score over 1000 runs which would dwarf last year's Toronto's 891.  It's a completely different team.  They are tied for most team HRs in the MLB with 30 (tied with Arizona and 2 less games played).  They lead MLB in team OPS.  They lead MLB in slugging.  They are 2nd in team batting average.  If they can fix the defensive errors and the starters can improve a bit, this could be a scary good team.  They're just not playing the clean baseball we got so used to.  I think it can be fixed as long as Matheny stops changing the lineup every night.

Last edited by a moderator:
And like clockwork, Matheny unveils yet another new lineup tonight:

Hazelbaker LF

Piscotty RF

Carpenter 3B

Grichuk CF

Moss 1B

Molina C

Gyorko 2B

Diaz SS

Martinez P

How Yostian to put the .481/.509/.833 hitter eighth.

Bruce Dickinson said:
And like clockwork, Matheny unveils yet another new lineup tonight:

Hazelbaker LF

Piscotty RF

Carpenter 3B

Grichuk CF

Moss 1B

Molina C

Gyorko 2B

Diaz SS

Martinez P

How Yostian to put the .481/.509/.833 hitter eighth.
:wall:

I like Hazelbaker leading off, so long as he shows he can handle it.  I really like Carp hitting lower in the order, though I know he has a stated preference for leading off.  It is funny, though, that he's willing to move one of the team leaders out of his spot to put a rookie there, when his reasoning for keeping Diaz in the 8 hole is that he doesn't want to mess with what's been working for him and add undue pressure. 

I like Hazelbaker leading off, so long as he shows he can handle it.  I really like Carp hitting lower in the order, though I know he has a stated preference for leading off.  It is funny, though, that he's willing to move one of the team leaders out of his spot to put a rookie there, when his reasoning for keeping Diaz in the 8 hole is that he doesn't want to mess with what's been working for him and add undue pressure. 
Carp has the profile of a 2-hitter, but if he's more comfortable leading off, let him.  This is the deepest bench the team has had in years, so the leadoff hitter will have opportunities to hit with men on in the late innings.  And, it's not like Carp leading off is clogging the basepaths for Lonnie Smith behind him - this is a station-to-station team.  Carp hitting third was a bit unusual, but that was probably because Holliday had the night off.  

The good news is Moss's homer last night is the team's ninth three-run homer of the season.  Team had only 15 three-run dingers all last season.  Earl Weaver's ghost took a moment from haunting the site formerly known as Beaumont High School to approve of this change in strategy.

So what happens when Jhonny comes back? Keep Diaz at SS, Jhonny plays 3d and Carp goes back to 2B?
That's the optimal offensive solution. Unfortunately, Diaz's defense has been so bad that it's hard to see that being a long-term fit. Perhaps they try Diaz at 2B and leave Peralta/Carpenter in their regular spots?

Diaz's bat has to stay in the lineup regularly somehow.

Limp Ditka said:
Hadn't looked at the D#s but I heard it was bad. Was he groomed as a SS or just filing a need playing there?
He's been playing SS since he was a kid in Cuba.  This season is consistent with his history - great production with the bat, capable of spectacular plays that convince coaches and scouts to keep him at SS, but he's always been a high error guy.

That's the optimal offensive solution. Unfortunately, Diaz's defense has been so bad that it's hard to see that being a long-term fit. Perhaps they try Diaz at 2B and leave Peralta/Carpenter in their regular spots?

I wonder if he's fast enough to play CF.  He's got a good arm for a SS, though I worry about him sailing off-target throws back to the infield.  

If Carp moves off 3B, IMO it's to play 1B, not 2B.  With his power surge from last season carrying over this year, he'll hit enough HRs to justify playing 1B.  

Also keep in mind Piscotty is a possibility at 3B.  That was his position in high school and college, and the team tried him in OF to get him on the major league roster.   

Heck of a play last night.

After a 1/3rd of the season:

--2nd in runs scored
--4th in run differential
--4th in HRs
--2nd in OPS
--2nd in slugging

8 guys with 7 or more HRs which puts them on pace for 20+ each (and Gyorko with 6). 

Where is this coming from?  If only the pitching could catch up......

Wong got sent down.

Plan for now for the infield is Adams at 1B, Carpenter at 2B, Diaz at SS, Peralta at 3B.  Gyorko still getting some 2B/3B at-bats, especially against lefties.  Moss will still play some first, and some corner outfield.  

Wong handled his demotion by hitting a walk-off grand slam for Memphis last night.

Wong got sent down.

Plan for now for the infield is Adams at 1B, Carpenter at 2B, Diaz at SS, Peralta at 3B.  Gyorko still getting some 2B/3B at-bats, especially against lefties.  Moss will still play some first, and some corner outfield.  

Wong handled his demotion by hitting a walk-off grand slam for Memphis last night.
I really like Wong and I'm glad he got sent down.  I think he has immense talent but just needs to fix some things and get his head right.  He needed this.

I don't understand the position switches, though.  Diaz profiles more like a 2nd basemen to me.  I would have simply put Peralta at SS and moved Diaz over to 2nd while keeping Carpenter at 3rd base.  It's not as if Diaz's defense at SS makes him the guy to keep at his spot.  Peralta may not have dynamic range but he is just solid without making mistakes and that's exactly what this middle infield needs right now.

Can't believe Moss's bat right now.  Adams also returning to his form from a couple years ago.  And Wainwright last night.....love it.  Finally, some props to Rosenthal for saving that 9th inning after getting into that mess. 

That Cardinals bench is nuts right now with the bats they can bring in.  If the starting pitching staff can finally settle in consistently, this team will be just fine. 

That Cardinals bench is nuts right now with the bats they can bring in.  If the starting pitching staff can finally settle in consistently, this team will be just fine. 
I agree. It's easy to get worked up about how phenomenal the Cubs have been, but I think this team can make the playoffs as is if the pitching settles down a little. In addition to Waino, Wacha was encouraging last night... seemed much more like himself.

I agree. It's easy to get worked up about how phenomenal the Cubs have been, but I think this team can make the playoffs as is if the pitching settles down a little. In addition to Waino, Wacha was encouraging last night... seemed much more like himself.
Still need a frontline starter.

First game against Houston since the database hacking story broke.

I'd kinda forgotten about the story until the June draft rolled around, then I realized MLB hasn't closed the case yet.

Couple of trivial notes...

Today in 1964 was Broglio for Brock.

Waino and Yadi are on battery start #198, breaking the franchise record previously held by Gibson and McCarver.

Users who are viewing this thread