What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 2018 YANKEE THREAD*** Gleyber Day (1 Viewer)

Let this sink in:

The 2017 Yankees are 1 win away from the World Series with a rookie ace, rookie RF, and a rookie catcher who gets suspended 4 games for punching Miguel Cabrera in the face.

Do you have any idea how great this team is going to be for a long time? They built the team frugally (for the Yankees), only splurging on Chapman. Then they developed the talent beyond even Cashman's hopes, with three rookies as perhaps their best players. When arbitration is over and they hit FA, there is no effing way the Steinbrenners let any of those players walk. Unless something catastrophe happens to one of them, Severino, Judge, and Sanchez are getting Jeter-dollars to stay in the Bronx. Hell maybe Didi too. 

flysack said:
Let this sink in:

The 2017 Yankees are 1 win away from the World Series with a rookie ace, rookie RF, and a rookie catcher who gets suspended 4 games for punching Miguel Cabrera in the face.

Do you have any idea how great this team is going to be for a long time? They built the team frugally (for the Yankees), only splurging on Chapman. Then they developed the talent beyond even Cashman's hopes, with three rookies as perhaps their best players. When arbitration is over and they hit FA, there is no effing way the Steinbrenners let any of those players walk. Unless something catastrophe happens to one of them, Severino, Judge, and Sanchez are getting Jeter-dollars to stay in the Bronx. Hell maybe Didi too. 
Neither Severino or Sanchez are rookies but yes I am excited about the future.

Neither Severino or Sanchez are rookies but yes I am excited about the future.
Severino isn't. I was kinda lit when I wrote that post last night. 

Sanchez isn't though? If not it's by the barest definition. The guy started what? 6 weeks last year? 

Maybe my inebriated brain was thinking of Monte's success. I'm not sure what his future role is, but I can see him taking CC's spot in the rotation in 2018 or 19.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Severino isn't. I was kinda lit when I wrote that post last night. 

Sanchez isn't though? If not it's by the barest definition. The guy started what? 6 weeks last year? 

Maybe my inebriated brain was thinking of Monte's success. I'm not sure what his future role is, but I can see him taking CC's spot in the rotation in 2018 or 19.  
Sanchez finished 2nd in the ROY voting LAST YEAR

As much as we trash Joe for his occasional bad game management, you have to give it to him for being at the vanguard of baseball. These Yankees set the trends, not follow them. They are a smartly coached team. Check out how they defeated Keuchel -

Keuchel began the night with a career 1.09 ERA against the Yankees, the best ever against the franchise. In Game 1, in classic Keuchel subterfuge, the lefty threw 60% of his pitches out of the strike zone and beat the Yankees by getting them to chase pitches that slipped just off the inside, outside and bottom edges of the plate. The Yankees swung at 20 of the 66 pitches out of the zone, and hit .100 in their chase effort (1-for-10).

[Hitting coach Alan] Cockrell knew that Keuchel’s magic trick is to stretch the plate horizontally in a hitter’s eyes, not vertically. He turns the 17-inch plate into a 21-inch plate, and those extra two inches on each side are sirens that lure wayward hitters into the rocks.

So before Game 5, Cockrell told his hitters about this trick. There was no way, he told them, that they could cover both sides of the plate. So he gave them this order: simply look for balls over the plate. Instead of worrying about the boilerplate mantra of “make him get the ball up,” (Keuchel almost never elevates the ball anyway) Cockrell told them simply to look for balls that cut the 17-inch wide airspace over the plate, even if it was down. Forget about covering in and out.

It worked. The Yankees hit .333 against Keuchel (7-for-21).

Really really interested in seeing how they attack Verlander tonight. They've seen him once for 9 innings. Can Verlander shut them down again? Keuchel couldn't.

Really really interested in seeing how they attack Verlander tonight. They've seen him once for 9 innings. Can Verlander shut them down again? Keuchel couldn't.
I don't think so. Not saying the Yankees win but I doubt Verlander pitches another gem like that.

Look for balls over the plate. Sounds like rocket science!
Oversimplification.

It's true that the traditional approach is to force the pitcher to come up into the zone by laying off balls in the dirt. If he paints the bottom line, then yea, you have to go get them. But few pitchers can do that consistently. So you lay off the low stuff and force him to elevate his pitches.

The Yankees realized that Keuchel's success is he works different by expanding the horizontal zone rather than the vertical. Take that away from him and you force him inside the 17 inch strike zone - and get hittable pitches. 

Considering no one else has done that to him, including the Yankees, yes, it was rocket surgery.

Oversimplification.

It's true that the traditional approach is to force the pitcher to come up into the zone by laying off balls in the dirt. If he paints the bottom line, then yea, you have to go get them. But few pitchers can do that consistently. So you lay off the low stuff and force him to elevate his pitches.

The Yankees realized that Keuchel's success is he works different by expanding the horizontal zone rather than the vertical. Take that away from him and you force him inside the 17 inch strike zone - and get hittable pitches. 

Considering no one else has done that to him, including the Yankees, yes, it was rocket surgery.
Yeah but he would have the game 1 ump tonight in game 7 who Gave keuchel a very generous zone

Yeah but he would have the game 1 ump tonight in game 7 who Gave keuchel a very generous zone
Just curious...

what did you think of the umpire's zone last night?

The more I think about it baseball relying on humans to call balls and strikes in this day and age is ludicrous and kind of makes the sport a joke in a way. 

Just curious...

The more I think about it baseball relying on humans to call balls and strikes in this day and age is ludicrous and kind of makes the sport a joke in a way. 
Tight zone last night. Lots of Yankee fans worked up about the aaron hicks 3-1 pitch but they got every other borderline call that inning. It was a ball based on what he had been calling but I can’t get up in arms. My issues with the umping the first two games were the low, high east and west all seemed very generous. You can’t call a low strike and a high strike imo. One or the other hitters can work with. Maybe that’s why those games were 2-1, taking nothing away from keuchel and verlander. 

If fhe yanks somehow pull fhis this out verlander should still be mvp. What a horse. 

Tight zone last night. Lots of Yankee fans worked up about the aaron hicks 3-1 pitch but they got every other borderline call that inning. It was a ball based on what he had been calling but I can’t get up in arms. My issues with the umping the first two games were the low, high east and west all seemed very generous. You can’t call a low strike and a high strike imo. One or the other hitters can work with. Maybe that’s why those games were 2-1, taking nothing away from keuchel and verlander. 

If fhe yanks somehow pull fhis this out verlander should still be mvp. What a horse. 
I wish someone would put out a count of the wrong calls based on the little box they put on tv. 

What percentage of wrong calls went the Yankees way vs. the Astros.

Smoltz even made a comment at one point. 

Its maddening to see what it ought to be called then having to hope the umpire calls it right. 

Baseball did a great thing imo going to replay. Now they need to make balls/strikes right. 

Just curious...

I thought it was erratic at times, but like Tripper said, the ump was squeezing the zone all night. He did it to Verlander, he did it to Severino. Verlander was just better at adjusting. When Severino started getting squeezed bad in the fourth, he fell apart.  

I thought it was erratic at times, but like Tripper said, the ump was squeezing the zone all night. He did it to Verlander, he did it to Severino. Verlander was just better at adjusting. When Severino started getting squeezed bad in the fourth, he fell apart.  
It should never be erratic. That's the problem. I wish I had time to go back rewatch and track it and see the exact numbers of who got more calls. 

The strike zone ought to be something that no one should ever have to think about. It's hard enough to hit a 100 mph baseball as it is. 

I wish someone would put out a count of the wrong calls based on the little box they put on tv. 

What percentage of wrong calls went the Yankees way vs. the Astros.

Smoltz even made a comment at one point. 

Its maddening to see what it ought to be called then having to hope the umpire calls it right. 

Baseball did a great thing imo going to replay. Now they need to make balls/strikes right. 
 That box also has a margin of error

Certainly a fun year. First one in a long time. But basically getting skunked on the road 4 straight times was tough to take. Houston made every play they needed to make. Multiple times cut down at the plate, leaping plays at the wall. Ugh. And Gary really needs to learn how to catch.

So excited for the future but this could have so easily gone the other way. That's frustrating

How do you guys feel about them resigning Girardi? 

Despite the gaff in the Cleveland series, I'd like to see him resigned. He helped build this team and he got them much farther than anyone hoped this year.

I wouldn't mind seeing them release Headley and signing Frazier for 2 years. Headly is just too damn streaky of a hitter. He was killing them in the second half of the season, and doesn't take walks like Judge or have room for improvement. Cut him. Sign Frazier. The guy keeps everyone loose and emerged as a real leader in less than half a season with the team.

Sabathia will probably come back on a 1 year deal. He wants to, and the Yankees want him. 

How do you guys feel about them resigning Girardi? 

Despite the gaff in the Cleveland series, I'd like to see him resigned. He helped build this team and he got them much farther than anyone hoped this year.

I wouldn't mind seeing them release Headley and signing Frazier for 2 years. Headly is just too damn streaky of a hitter. He was killing them in the second half of the season, and doesn't take walks like Judge or have room for improvement. Cut him. Sign Frazier. The guy keeps everyone loose and emerged as a real leader in less than half a season with the team.

Sabathia will probably come back on a 1 year deal. He wants to, and the Yankees want him. 

I'd be fine with another contract for Girardi. The guy is a good manager despite one massive screw up. I think he deserves the opportunity to manage this group as they full come into their own.

I just don't see them eating 13 million worth of Headley just to keep Frazier (for what?  Another 10 Mil per year). He's a great clubhouse guy and plays a pretty good 3rd base, but he'd be blocking 2 of their best prospects.

Andujar to me is a pretty interesting case. If he hits again, they can't keep in AAA for much longer. So is he trade bait? Do you slide Gleybar to 2nd and try to move Castro? (Is Andujar's ceiling as high as Castro? I honestly have no idea)

Also, I think next year has to be the make or break year for Sanchez behind the plate. The passed ball issues aren't going away and he botched multiple potential plays at the plate this post-season. If we're still in this spot a year from now, I think he needs to be moved to a full time DH. It will obviously preserve his offense and they'll have enough pop in the lineup that they can afford to carry a little offensive deadweight behind the plate.

The rotation is also interesting. Do they get Otani? Does Montgomery take another step? Do they give Green another shot? What about Adams? (Or Sheffield a little further down the road)

I hope (expect?) Chance Adams earns a rotation spot in spring training. Remember: Tananka has an opt-out clause in his contract this year. I think he'd be stupid to exercise it considering how inconsistent he was in the regular season, but you never know. If Adams wins a spot, what happens? Severino, Tanaka, Gray, CC, Monte, Adams. Monte loses out? I hope not. I can see him developing into a great #4 pitcher. CC may be blocking Adams imo. How far along is Chance? Do any of you think he's ready for the bigs?

Sanchez will be fine with an offseason to work on the passed balls. Don't forget, he may struggle blocking, but he has a hell of an arm for throwing guys out. He's young. He'll work the kinks out. 

I hope (expect?) Chance Adams earns a rotation spot in spring training. Remember: Tananka has an opt-out clause in his contract this year. I think he'd be stupid to exercise it considering how inconsistent he was in the regular season, but you never know. If Adams wins a spot, what happens? Severino, Tanaka, Gray, CC, Monte, Adams. Monte loses out? I hope not. I can see him developing into a great #4 pitcher. CC may be blocking Adams imo. How far along is Chance? Do any of you think he's ready for the bigs?

Sanchez will be fine with an offseason to work on the passed balls. Don't forget, he may struggle blocking, but he has a hell of an arm for throwing guys out. He's young. He'll work the kinks out. 
Not just talking about passed balls. I'm talking about relay throws. He absolutely should have made the play on the winning run in game 2. It wasn't a good throw, but he had had time to gather it.  Considering old ### Brian McCann was able to catch the throw that caught Bird at the plate on Saturday, Sanchez has to make that play.

I really can’t think of a big name out there that when I hear it it says ‘He should be the manager of the Yankees’ 

Does Al Pedrique make sense here? Young team, instrumental guy in a lot of their development 

I really can’t think of a big name out there that when I hear it it says ‘He should be the manager of the Yankees’ 

Does Al Pedrique make sense here? Young team, instrumental guy in a lot of their development 
I suppose.  He's been really good in the minors.

Would have loved Alex Cora, but that ship has sailed.  That's what adds to the strangeness of the move.  No real dynamite replacement options.  At least none that I see being better than Girardi.  Kevin Long's name has been thrown out there.  Kinda meh on that.  Here's what Jack Curry just said about the replacement...

Jack Curry‏Verified account @JackCurryYES  5m5 minutes ago

On Girardi's replacement: He'll be someone Cashman's worked with. He'll be heavily influenced by front office. He won't make $4M a year.

Tired of all the nickle and dime money stuff that comes from Hal Steinbrenner's Yankees.  The cost savings of a new manager factored in?  GTFOH.

Take a team that's one game from the World Series and they're likely going to be handed over to a first time MLB manager.  Perplexing.

Dave Martinez is an intriguing name outside the organization.  Raul Ibanez's name floating around out there too.  Internal guys Al Pedrique, Rob Thomson, Josh Paul, Reggie Willits.

Martinez probably the best candidate I've heard mentioned.

Not sure how I feel yet, but I’m not surprised. 10 years is a long time and I can see why the team decided to make a change. Does Tony Pena make sense here? He’s been here forever, interviewed when Girardi originally got hired, and from all accounts the players like him. 

c'mon. The guy had a .562 winning percentage in pinstripes. .554 overall.

That .554 is 19th overall in the modern era among coaches with at least 5 years managing. 7th overall since divisional play was instituted.
That ALDS blunder was one that was unforgivable. He was a decent manager, handled a bullpen well, but also one who made many questionable decisions over the years. I guess we'll see who they hire before I say no loss. His winning % is more the product of the team he had built around him than his managerial skills.

That ALDS blunder was one that was unforgivable. He was a decent manager, handled a bullpen well, but also one who made many questionable decisions over the years. I guess we'll see who they hire before I say no loss. His winning % is more the product of the team he had built around him than his managerial skills.
Again. C’mon. He did 3-4 years of smoke and mirrors with the corpses of Arod / Teix / Jeter polluting the lineup. Crap out of Elisbury, CC learning to redefine himself.

I'd be fine if he stayed, I'm fine with him going. 

Joe is a weirdo, he had to cultivate and make Sanchez, and he chose to get adversarial with him and he tipped his hand with the whole non-challenge thing when he referred to himself saying "as a catcher".  Thats how he sees himself and he resented Posada passing him based on offense.  Wouldn't shock me if there weren't residual feelings.  Between the non-challenge, calling him out this year and Sanchez regressing defensively despite having Girardi and Pena on the staff, Joe had to go.

Aaron Judge's reaction when they asked him if they felt good winning that Cleveland series for Joe tells me there was underlying issues with Joe and the players. He never really connected with any of them, always kept himself at arm's length, and never really warmed up to the media. Apparently, him and Cashman didn't see eye to eye alot either. This decision seems like it was a long time coming and I'm glad that they stuck to their convictions (whether we agree with them or not) and not get emotional and keep him just because of the run they went on. That would've been a mistake.

Aaron Judge's reaction when they asked him if they felt good winning that Cleveland series for Joe tells me there was underlying issues with Joe and the players. He never really connected with any of them, always kept himself at arm's length, and never really warmed up to the media. Apparently, him and Cashman didn't see eye to eye alot either. This decision seems like it was a long time coming and I'm glad that they stuck to their convictions (whether we agree with them or not) and not get emotional and keep him just because of the run they went on. That would've been a mistake.
And yet he is incredible successful everywhere he goes. 

The Yankees were discussed as a trend setting team in strategy and coaching this year. They led the lead in average mph pitches, but threw more breaking balls than anyone else, leading the trend of pitchers pitching "backwards" because hitters had adjusted to 97mph fastballs. 

I sure as hell hope they keep Rothchild, but I doubt it. New skippers like to pick their guys. Pena may stay because he's an organizational fixture at this point. Everyone loves him.

Vegas odds:

THE LIKELY PICKS
Rob Thomson: 6/1 - Yankees bench coach

Al Pedrique: 7/1 - Triple-A SWB RailRiders manager

Tony Pena: 8/1 - Yankees first base coach

Joe Espada: 9/1 - Yankees third base coach

THE TOSS-UPS
Jay Bell: 12/1 - Class-A Tampa Yankees manager

Trey Hillman: 12/1 - former Yankees minor league manager

Raul Ibanez: 12/1 - former Yankees player

Kevin Long: 12/1 - former Yankees hitting coach

Peter Mackanin: 12/1 - former Yankees scout, MLB managerial experience

Don Mattingly: 12/1 - Miami Marlins manager

Willie Randolph: 12/1 - Yankees bench coach

Larry Rothschild: 12/1 - Yankees pitching coach

THE LONG-SHOTS
Dusty Baker: 20/1 - former Washington Nationals manager

Tim Naehring: 20/1 - Yankees VP of Baseball Operations

Josh Paul: 20/1 - manager of Staten Island Yankees

Reggie Willits: 20/1 - Yankees minor league outfield coordinator

Brad Ausmus: 25/1 - former Detroit Tigers manager

John Farrell: 25/1 - former Boston Red Sox manager

Jason Giambi: 33/1 - former Yankees All-Star 1B/DH

Alex Rodriguez: 100/1 - Three-time MVP, former Yankees 3B/DH

Derek Jeter: 500/1 - former Yankees captain, Miami Marlins part-owner

Yeah, very odd choice. I'm not gonna pretend to know anything about picking a manager, but this is a lot of responsibility to drop on a guy who has never done the job. If the team doesn't take the next step he'll shoulder a huge chunk of the blame.

If they were gonna give it to a guy with no experience I would have preferred Beltran. The guy is a natural leader. Never got that vibe from Boone. Guess he wow'd them in the interviews.

Users who are viewing this thread