What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2019 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread*** Hope Springs Eternal? (1 Viewer)

Glasnow pitched 3 innings, 0 ERs with 7 Ks today.  This is his 2nd start coming off a serious injury.  This is against the Boston Red Sox.  That's who we gave up in a package including Meadows and our top pitching prospect for Chris ####### Archer.      :lmao:
Tyler Glasnow got the W, Austin Meadows hit his 33rd home run, and those two clinched the Rays' first playoff berth since 2013 lat night.

Ray Searage let go.

The game moves fast.  It wasn't long ago that he was regarded as a pitcher whisperer but he and the organization were slow to embrace analytics and his reputation has suffered accordingly. 

His approach of telling guys to pound the zone and pitch to contact doesn't work as well when almost every batter can take you deep.

Glasnow and Cole facing off against each other in game 5 of ALDS. Meadows leading off.  Just want to give a special shout out to the incompetent Pirates management.

Capella said:
Pirates twitter did send out a funny tweet tonight. 
You guys are small market team that does it right.  We are a small market team that does it completely wrong.  The fact that you took maybe the most talented team in the history of baseball (this might be a slight exaggeration) to 5 games is nuts.  

fred_1_15301 said:
Glasnow and Cole facing off against each other in game 5 of ALDS. Meadows leading off.  Just want to give a special shout out to the incompetent Pirates management.
Makes me mildly nauseous. 

Cole’s high fastballs generated 220 swings and misses this year. In 2017 he had 66. 

Makes me mildly nauseous. 

Cole’s high fastballs generated 220 swings and misses this year. In 2017 he had 66. 
He's the best pitcher in baseball.  Pitching "guru" Searge ruined him in Pittsburgh.  But I suppose canning Hurdle will solve all of the team's short and long term issues.  :Championship:

He's the best pitcher in baseball.  Pitching "guru" Searge ruined him in Pittsburgh.  But I suppose canning Hurdle will solve all of the team's short and long term issues.  :Championship:
The Archer trade puts us at least 5 years from even attempting to make any noise. The system is depleted. They wanted too much for the child molester and now get nothing. Sell everything but Bell at this point. 

The overall talent level isn't great but at least Cherington has a relatively clean slate with payroll.  They don't have any long-term, big money liabilities.  Vazquez is the only dead money hit but the 20-21 salary commitment isn't that high.  I guess you could add Polanco to that list but I think there's still a chance of a bounce back after a lost season and a half.

That's my half full view :banned: .  

Pirates signed catcher Luke Maile. He hit .151 with Toronto last season. His career batting average is .198.

I can't wait to for the 2020 season to begin!

I have to say that these pirate FA signings have me stoked for 2020.
Yeah but they should have a pretty good rotation with Cole, Taillon and Glasnow.  Also, their outfield with Polanco, Marte and Meadows is one of the best in baseball.  

Oh wait.........Never mind

Two young prospects and $250k in international money for Marte from Dbacks. 
And the sorry a@@ ownership drives the franchise further into oblivion. Worst owner of any of the major sports and it isn't close. It's a shame this piece of garbage of an owner gets away with it, but everyone needs to quit going to games so he can't make any money.

Last edited by a moderator:
The rebuild is going to take a while.  I guess the best you can hope for in the next couple of years is that the club invests their revenue sharing money into scouting and development rather than ownership's pockets. 

I don't know if they'll be willing to spend when their window opens in 2023 or thereabouts but a future like Tampa or Oakland is preferable to where they are now.

The rebuild is going to take a while.  I guess the best you can hope for in the next couple of years is that the club invests their revenue sharing money into scouting and development rather than ownership's pockets. 

I don't know if they'll be willing to spend when their window opens in 2023 or thereabouts but a future like Tampa or Oakland is preferable to where they are now.
For the record, I wasn't making fun of your post (I have nothing but complete respect for you as a poster and especially your baseball wisdom).  I was just laughing at the thought of any type of revenue being invested towards the actual product on the field. And what on Earth would make anyone think that this ownership would be "willing to spend" at any point in the future?

Last edited by a moderator:
This team is an abomination but MLB has been an absolute joke for a long time.  There should be a salary cap and floor in an effort to have a competitive league. I have seen reports that the Pirates payroll is slightly over $43 million.   That's only $7 million less than what the Yankees will pay Garrett Cole this season.

2019 was the first year I did not go to a single game and I have been going to see the Pirates since the early 1960's.  I just won't give the Bob Nutting another penny.  Definitely the worst owner in all of sports.

Better off setting fire to your hard earned money than giving it to the thief Nutting. I'm not sure why  ANYONE would go to another game while he owns the team. MLB should be ashamed of themselves for letting this happen,  but they dont give a sh@@ as long as they have their beloved redsox, Yankees or Dodgers in the playoffs every year.

The Pittsburgh Pirates' Pablo Reyes was suspended 80 games on Wednesday under the major league drug program following a positive test for the performance-enhancing drug Boldenone.
The guy hit .203 last season.  I think he has a pretty good case that he wan't using performance-enhancing drugs - or if he was using PEDs he should be seeking a refund cause they didn't work.

Watching the Orioles games being an out of towner and I really can't tell what is worse on this team

1.  The pitching

2.  The defense

3.  This 20 year old stats geek that replaced Bob Walk with

I mean when you can't win a spring training game.   Damn this could be 1962 Mets level bad 

The Major League Baseball Players Association has now filed a second grievance proceeding against the Pittsburgh Pirates, Rob Biertempfel of The Athletic reports. The union is in both cases challenging the team’s use of revenue-sharing funds.

As the MLBPA looks for ways to spur teams to spend, it has targeted the ever-stingy Bucs. An earlier grievance proceeding included the Pittsburgh organization as well as the A’s, Rays, and Marlins.

It seems the initial action covered spending over the 2017-18 offseason, with the new one relating to the winter of 2018-19. Biertempfel spoke with union chief Tony Clark, who didn’t weigh in on this particular matter but did state that his organization remains concerned with “revenue-sharing recipients who remain in that perpetual rebuilding mode.”

The Pirates, of course, claim not to be rebuilding. Newly hired GM Ben Cherington has spoken instead of a “build.” Parsing the terminology won’t change the substance. After a winter in which the team traded Starling Marte and didn’t add back much salary, the Bucs are presently slated to open the season with approximately $57MM in player salaries on their books. That marks the club’s lowest Opening Day payroll since 2011 and fourth-straight year-over-year decline.
Nothing will come of this of course.  As long as Nutting can make money fielding a crappy team there really isn't much incentive to try to pt together a winning team ad potentially lose money.

MLB needs to establish a salary cap, floor and get rid of the luxury tax that awards teams that don't spend money

Nothing will come of this of course.  As long as Nutting can make money fielding a crappy team there really isn't much incentive to try to pt together a winning team ad potentially lose money.

MLB needs to establish a salary cap, floor and get rid of the luxury tax that awards teams that don't spend money
I am fine with not spending money in years they aren't going to be competitive as long as the use it in a future year or put it into player development. 

This might be one of the worst teams baseball has seen in quite some time.  I don't think they have even an average player at a single position.  Literally no talent which is hard to do.  

This might be one of the worst teams baseball has seen in quite some time.  I don't think they have even an average player at a single position.  Literally no talent which is hard to do.  
I dunno; I was impressed with your catcher during this series.  He knew that the Indians hitters are still suckers for low, off-speed stuff and he kept urging his guys to keep their pitches low.  Of course, a lot of stuff ended up in the dirt because...well, they suck, but he stopped everything.  Tom Hamilton liked what he saw out of the kid and I do too.

They put a smackdown on the Cubs these past few games. I wonder if the Cubs batters were as distracted by Brault's arm tattoos as I was watching from home. Then the next day the Cubs made Trevor Williams look like Doug Drabek, and today was just an old-fashioned beating. 

They put a smackdown on the Cubs these past few games. I wonder if the Cubs batters were as distracted by Brault's arm tattoos as I was watching from home. Then the next day the Cubs made Trevor Williams look like Doug Drabek, and today was just an old-fashioned beating. 
Well a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while and the Cubs already have the division locked up

Can someone explain something to me?  How does someone go from a .314/.377/.503 slash in 491 ABs to .186/.276/.345 slash in 177 ABs the following year?  That's Bryan Reynolds.  

Josh Bell ---> Nats 

Eddy Yean & Wil Crowe ---> Pirates

Sounds like Crowe is just ok but this Yean kid sounds like he has some real upside.

Just an odd team - they had that young nucleus small market teams need and then they just traded it away. Weird.

Users who are viewing this thread