What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 2020 NFL Draft Thread*** (2 Viewers)

Cowboys just selected James Madison QB Ben DiNucci.  Who knows something about him?
Rotoworld take:

Cowboys selected James Madison QB Ben DiNucci with the No. 231 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft. 

DiNucci spent 2015-2017 with Pittsburgh, posting awful numbers in completion rate (55.7%), yards per attempt (6.9), touchdowns (6) and interceptions (7) along the way. Things changed at James Madison, where DiNucci threw for 45 touchdowns vs. "just" 18 interceptions from 2018-2019, pitching in an additional 229-1,002-16 rushing line along the way. Don't expect much from any seventh-round prospect, but clearly the Cowboys liked DiNucci enough to avoid having to bid for his services as an undrafted free agent.

Apr 25, 2020, 6:01 PM ET

Saints just selected Mississippi State QB Tommy Stevens.  What's he like?

Last edited by a moderator:
Vikings just selected Iowa QB Nate Stanley.  How good is he?
Rotoworld take:

Vikings selected Iowa QB Nate Stanley with the No. 244 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Stanley (6'4/235) made 39 consecutive starts in Iowa's I-formation offense, finishing with a 27-12 record as only the second three-year captain in school history. The Hawkeyes' offense relies on quick throws and intelligent opportunities downfield, but Stanley's career average depth of completion (6.4) emphasizes his reluctance to take shots. Having said that, tight windows don’t intimidate him, and his concentration inexplicably increased on third and fourth downs (70-for-121, 57.9 percent). With a spotty track record of overthrowing his teammates by 15-plus yards at times, Stanley projects as a late-round developmental project whose ceiling is that of a career backup's. The current No. 2 quarterback for the Vikings is Sean Mannion, so Stanley has a chance.

Apr 25, 2020, 6:30 PM ET

Dolphins just traded pick #251 to the Seahawks who selected LSU TE Stephen Sullivan.

Saints just selected Mississippi State QB Tommy Stevens.  What's he like?
Rotoworld take:

Saints traded up with the Texans to select Mississippi State QB Tommy Stevens with the No. 240 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Stevens is the third quarterback drafted by the Saints in the Drew Brees era, joining the ranks of Garrett Grayson (2015, Round 3) and Sean Canfield (2010, Round 7). Interestingly enough, the player Stevens remains most often compared to is Taysom Hill. Stevens himself didn’t have a great college career, completing 60.2 percent of his passes for 1,155 yards in his lone year in the SEC as a redshirt senior, but he did flash versatility as a runner with a career 159/887/12 rushing in four collegiate campaigns. Coach Sean Payton obviously has something brewing for the Saints' playbook this upcoming year.

Apr 25, 2020, 6:23 PM ET

Oh and to whoever becomes Mr. Irrelevant, I wonder if there will be no ceremonies here in Orange County, Cali.  There's usually a bunch of activities planned.  Probably none with COVID hanging around.  Despite my home area being pretty low in terms of cases, thank God.

I can't think of a recent example of a guy going undrafted, who was almost universally mocked as a day 2 pick, that didn't have either major injury or off field issues. 

What the hell is the issue with Hunter Bryant? I thought he was arguably the best TE in the class.

Giants selected Georgia LB Tae Crowder with the No. 255 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Congrats to Crowder on the honor of being 2020's Mr. Irrelevant. He played 32 games for Georgia from 2015-2019, racking up 122 tackles, 10 tackles for a loss, 1.5 sacks, five pass deflections and two interceptions along the way. The former three-start prospect was originally recruited as a running back, but ultimately spent his entire career on the defensive side of the ball. Crowder will need to utilize this versatility to thrive on special teams in order to make a final roster.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Apr 25, 2020, 7:00 PM ET

Here are the 32 teams' drafted ranked from best to worst at not reaching (compared to pre-draft consensus):

Arizona Cardinals
Dallas Cowboys
Buffalo Bills
Cleveland Browns
New Orleans Saints
Carolina Panthers
Detroit Lions
Cincinnati Bengals
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Minnesota Vikings
Washington Redskins
Baltimore Ravens
Los Angeles Rams
New York Giants
Denver Broncos
San Francisco 49ers
Jacksonville Jaguars
Houston Texans
New York Jets
Chicago Bears
Los Angeles Chargers
Tennessee Titans
Las Vegas Raiders
Philadelphia Eagles
Miami Dolphins
Indianapolis Colts
Pittsburgh Steelers
Kansas City Chiefs
Atlanta Falcons
New England Patriots
Seattle Seahawks
Green Bay Packers

This uses Arif Hasan's consensus draft board, penalizes teams for reaching compared to that draft board, and doesn't reward teams at all for getting "steals" relative to that draft board. If you also reward teams for getting "steals", that helps BAL, DEN, NYJ, TEN, PHI, and IND and it hurts DET, CIN, SF, JAX, and HOU.

I was planning on writing up a whole thing rating team's drafts, but am too tired so I'll just rank the best and worst:

5 Best:

1. Minnesota

2. Detroit

3. Cleveland

4. Buffalo(counting Diggs as their 1st)

5. Baltimore

5 Worst

28. Las Vegas

29. Los Angeles Rams

30. New England

31. Miami(I didn't think they got anywhere near enough for all the picks they had)

32. Green Bay

ZWK said:
Here are the 32 teams' drafted ranked from best to worst at not reaching (compared to pre-draft consensus):

Buffalo Bills
Arizona Cardinals
Dallas Cowboys
Detroit Lions
Cleveland Browns
New Orleans Saints
Minnesota Vikings
Carolina Panthers
Cincinnati Bengals
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Washington Redskins
Los Angeles Rams
Baltimore Ravens
Jacksonville Jaguars
San Francisco 49ers
New York Giants
Denver Broncos
Chicago Bears
Houston Texans
New York Jets
Los Angeles Chargers
Tennessee Titans
Indianapolis Colts
Philadelphia Eagles
Atlanta Falcons
Miami Dolphins
Kansas City Chiefs
Las Vegas Raiders
Pittsburgh Steelers
New England Patriots
Seattle Seahawks
Green Bay Packers

This uses Arif Hasan's consensus draft board, penalizes teams for reaching compared to that draft board, and doesn't reward teams at all for getting "steals" relative to that draft board. If you also reward teams for getting "steals", that helps BAL, DEN, NYJ, TEN, and PHI, and it hurts DET, CIN, JAX, SF, CHI, and HOU.
I'm assuming with Buffalo and Arizona at the top, that Diggs and Hopkins count as picks right? If not, that seems really high for Arizona to me. Conversely, I didn't think Seattle's draft was bad at all. 

I'm assuming with Buffalo and Arizona at the top, that Diggs and Hopkins count as picks right? If not, that seems really high for Arizona to me. Conversely, I didn't think Seattle's draft was bad at all. 
I think the list is pretty good.  I'd give Dallas and Arizona the top 2 drafts.  And would give GB the worst.

I was planning on writing up a whole thing rating team's drafts, but am too tired so I'll just rank the best and worst:

31. Miami(I didn't think they got anywhere near enough for all the picks they had)
Interested to hear this take when you have the time.  My take is in the Dolphins thread.  Cheers.

All this ranking is doing is penalizing teams for "reaching" to draft players before they were expected to go. It ignores all trades and just looks at the picks they used.

Buffalo had a grand total of... zero(?)... wait, I did my calculations wrong. It was a smallish mistake but the ranking I posted earlier is slightly off (I'll edit to fix it). Buffalo should be third (after ARI & DAL).

Buffalo had a grand total of 1 reach during the draft. 6 of their 7 picks were drafted at or after their consensus predraft rank. With the 188th pick they selected Tyler Bass, who was not in the top 256 on the consensus big board, so that's their 1 reach. And the 188th pick is not much draft capital (even relative to their depleted set of picks). So they rank in the top 3 for their nearly reach-free draft.

Whereas Seattle started off by spending a 1st round pick on a guy who was a consensus board 3rd rounder, then used their 2nd round pick on another 3rd rounder, and then continued to reach (though less so) on their next 3 picks. They burned 40% of their draft capital on reaches, going by the consensus big board, whereas Arizona led the way by burning only 1%.

This is obviously an imperfect way to evaluate drafts because NFL teams know things that fans don't, so a lot of the things that we think of as reaches or steals are really just cases where we (and the "experts" publishing big boards) were misinformed about prospects. That's why I said the ranking was "from best to worst at not reaching" rather than just from best to worst. But I think we're not totally clueless before the wisdom of NFL franchises and there is some value in looking at things like this. I chose to focus just on reaches (and not credit teams for steals) because I think it's harder for fans to judge steals than to judge reaches. The private information that teams have (about injuries, character, etc.) is more negative than positive, so if a guy falls in the draft compared to where fans think he should it's more likely to be for good reasons than if he rises. Also, for the NFL to make a mistake in letting a guy fall all 32 teams need to be making that mistake, whereas for the NFL to make a mistake in drafting a guy too early only 1 team needs to be making a mistake.

Interested to hear this take when you have the time.  My take is in the Dolphins thread.  Cheers.
I love that they stayed put and got Tua. If not for his injury, I feel I could make a case for him over Burrow. Alas the injury exists and may or may not being a thing that effects him long term. I'll gladly take the risk on a Franchise QB, and not just a guy who is called Franchise because he went in round 1(Jordan Love) but one who has actually earned the moniker.

After that though, the draft goes down a giant rabbit hole of unnecessary high risk guys, and strange decisions.

Austin Jackson was a gigantic reach in my opinion. Maybe the worst pick of round 1. I know he was on the 1/2 borderline by consensus ranks. But I watched a to of his play, and wasn't very impressed. He looked more like a day 3 guy than a 1st rounder. I saw a finesse player, who isn't technically sound at all, who isn't really as athletic as his combine suggested. He also had a pretty easy time in the PAC-12, where their simply weren't many good pass rushers. Bradlee Anae had a great game against him. Jackson got rag-dolled by Epenesa when they faced off. Jackson is very young, and was coming off a rough offseason. But he's a long ways from being a quality NFL starter. That smelled like forcing a pick on a position of need. I think they would have been much better off taking a WR for Tua(Reagor, Jefferson were both there) or perhaps Patrick Queen for the defense.

Noah Igbinoghene wasn't as egregious, but still a risky pick. He is also a toolsy, unrefined project. Which is fine, but not in the 1st round. His technique is really poor, he basically just runs with guys, with no real clue as to what route they may be running. He also is very much a guy who is grabby. The NFL is a lot more flag heavy than college on that. Also he doesn't have great ball skills(1 career INT) though that isn't a dealbreaker, and could also describe Byron Jones. But again my problem is, why take such a risky player. Why not take a Higgins or Pittman at WR, or if DB was the need, why not take McKinney?

Robert Hunt isn't an awful pick, but just not worthy of pick 39. An OL who has major issues as a pass blocker is not the recipe in 2020. Hunt is an excellent run blocker, no arguments there, I'd be surprised if he wasn't kicking to Guard, even though he was better when he moved to Tackle.Also he's already 24, which makes me question his ceiling. I don't hate the guy, just felt a round early(which is a theme here) and again, I think this was another spot for a WR like Shenault. Or a playmaking DB like Delpit or Winfield. Just feels like forcing an OL pick this high.

Raekwon Davis was the 1st really bad pick, that wasn't just a reach, but a player who just made no sense. Its hard to justify a 2nd round pick on a 1 dimensional run stopper in 2020. In 2000, sure he's worth a 2nd rounder, but now, he's a day 3 talent, and the only difference between him and those day 3 run stuffers, is his draft card says Alabama on it. I think you put the exact same player, but from say, Akron, no higher than round 4. This is also the 1st pick that doesn't at least have traits you could hope to develop. He is what he is, and what he is, is a run stuffer in an era where those guys have little value, and the supply greatly outweighs the demand. If they hadn't forced o-line picks already, this was a great spot for Ezra Cleveland. Kristian Fulton looks great here, as does Denzel Mims.

Brandon Jones just screams special teamer. Never really did anything at Texas. Not really sure what position he should play either. He seemed at his best as a slot CB, but I'm not sure he's athletic enough to do that in the NFL, and was repeatedly beat deep as a deep safety. Not to be a broken record, but guys like Justin Madubuike and Davon Hamilton(both far better prospects than Davis) were still here, Josh Jones too, if they hadn't forced those o-line picks earlier.

I'm not going to go through every pick, but I will say I did like the Curtis Weaver pick a ton. I'm not really sure why he fell so far. Maybe being 6-2? His level of competition wasn't great, but he dominated it. He was Chase Young to those small schools. 27 sacks over the last 2 seasons. His combine was really good too, his shuttle and 3-cone were near the top of the position. 

So my big gripe is that they had 6 picks in the 1st 3 rounds, and Tua is really the only sure thing in my eyes, and even he has health questions. They forced some picks to fill needs, which is never a good idea, and passed on a bunch of great players i the process. I get the idea of protecting the new Franchise QB, but it helps just as much to give him weapons, and they ignored that. They are betting heavily on Preston Williams making back from a late season torn ACL(IIRC) and a big jump from Gesicki(possible) 

Obviously, the draft isn't static, and any changes could effect what happens next, but doesn't a 1st 6 picks of:

Tua, Queen, McKinney, Shenault, Fulton, Jones sound better than what they got?

or

Tua, Jefferson, McKinney, Winfield, Cleveland, Madubuike?

or 

Tua, Queen, McKinney, Delpit, Cleveland, Jones? 

Point being, they didn't need to take boom/bust prospects in round 1, that aren't ready to contribute right now. Or 1 dimensional niche guys in round 2. Or Brandon Jones period. Its very possible that they get a decent amount out of this group. But its also possible that Tua is the only impact player the got with their top-6, and if he isn't healthy, this could look scary bad. They gave up 2 great players in Tunsil and Fitzpatrck to get those extra 1st rounders, replacing them with such risky picks is a dangerous way of rebuilding to me. 

So that is why I had them as the 2nd worst draft. Nobody is touching Green Bay's disaster of a draft, but considering the draft capital they had, Miami may not have been all that much better.

Pats get their TE here.... or someone with a bad knee.
lol .... took a player with the bad knee ... Anfernee Jennings. Almost lost his leg due to artery damage and blood clots.

Got the TE with their next pick 4 picks later.

I've obviously seen way to many Bill Belichick drafts.

ZWK said:

Arizona Cardinals
Dallas Cowboys
Buffalo Bills
Cleveland Browns
New Orleans Saints
Carolina Panthers
Detroit Lions
Cincinnati Bengals
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Minnesota Vikings
Washington Redskins
Baltimore Ravens
Los Angeles Rams
New York Giants
Denver Broncos
San Francisco 49ers
Jacksonville Jaguars
Houston Texans
New York Jets
Chicago Bears
Los Angeles Chargers
Tennessee Titans
Las Vegas Raiders
Philadelphia Eagles
Miami Dolphins
Indianapolis Colts
Pittsburgh Steelers
Kansas City Chiefs
Atlanta Falcons
New England Patriots
Seattle Seahawks
Green Bay Packers

This uses Arif Hasan's consensus draft board, penalizes teams for reaching compared to that draft board, and doesn't reward teams at all for getting "steals" relative to that draft board. If you also reward teams for getting "steals", that helps BAL, DEN, NYJ, TEN, PHI, and IND and it hurts DET, CIN, SF, JAX, and HOU.
For comparison, Benjamin Robinson of Grinding the Mocks posted his version of this list here. It's broadly similar. Biggest difference is that it has the Raiders ranked last.

If I am looking at it correctly, I just noticed that the 49ers did not make a single one of their own picks, everything was traded.

Users who are viewing this thread