What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*****Official 2022 Senate Elections Thread***** (2 Viewers)

I guess Johnson’s saving grace is that if the Wisconsin legislature doesn’t like the voting outcome, they can just throw them out.

holy crap Ron Johnson might lose
link?
Both the Senate race and the Governor race in Wisconsin are polling about even. Trafalgar Group, whose results tend to lean a little towards Republican candidates but not in a Rasmussen way, most!recent poll has both big races as tossups: Barnes +2 over Johnson and Evers +1 over Michaels.
If Fetterman keeps pulling away in PA and Kelly pulls away in AZ, this is one race the GOP absolutely needs to take control of the Senate.
The Wisconsin state legislature is heavily gerrymandered towards Republicans, so there’s going to be a lot spent to get Evers re-elected as Governor to limit that legislature’s power.
So, if you live in Wisconsin or right across the state line and consume media serving Wisconsin, brace yourself for a couple months of nonstop political ads.

holy crap Ron Johnson might lose
link?
Both the Senate race and the Governor race in Wisconsin are polling about even. Trafalgar Group, whose results tend to lean a little towards Republican candidates but not in a Rasmussen way, most!recent poll has both big races as tossups: Barnes +2 over Johnson and Evers +1 over Michaels.
If Fetterman keeps pulling away in PA and Kelly pulls away in AZ, this is one race the GOP absolutely needs to take control of the Senate.
The Wisconsin state legislature is heavily gerrymandered towards Republicans, so there’s going to be a lot spent to get Evers re-elected as Governor to limit that legislature’s power.
So, if you live in Wisconsin or right across the state line and consume media serving Wisconsin, brace yourself for a couple months of nonstop political ads.
"Gerrymandered" is just another term for "It doesn't favor us so we're mad". In fact, those same maps you're talking about were redrawn and gerrymandered by Tony Evers and crew and the US SCOTUS subsequently ruled them unconstitutional. So, yeah, there was a gerrymander, just not by the GOP. :shrug:

Apparently Dr. Oz now wants to run for Senate in West Virginia*
The problem with being a celebrity before you enter politics is that you’ve definitely already said too much. And considering that Dr. Mehmet Oz, the Republican nominee for the Pennsylvania Senate, has already been saying too much as a candidate, you know the things coming out of his mouth must have been pretty bad before.

In an interview with morning radio show The Breakfast Club in February 2014, host Angela Yee asked Oz to weigh in on a question sent in by a listener about someone struggling with an incestuous relationship.

“I’m going to ask you this and you tell me if this is safe for this person, okay?” Yee prompted Oz. “Well, he said, ‘Yee, I can’t stop smashing my cousin.’ That means sleeping with.” (Thank you, Yee.)

She continued to read out the question: “‘We hooked up at a young age and now in our 20s, she still wants it. No matter how much I want to stop, I always give it to her. Help me.’ What advice would you give that person?”

Hm. I might refer them to counseling about how to rebuild proper familial relationships and set boundaries. But Oz took it in a different direction:
Oz: If you’re more than a first cousin away, it’s not a big problem.
Yee: Okay, so second cousin is fine to smash.
Charlamagne: It’s so funny, cause I knew that.
DJ Envy: How did you know that?
Charlamagne: Cause I’m from the country! Third cousins?
Oz: Yeah. It’s fine.
* I kid, I kid. Nothing but love for the good people of West Virginia. But there are certain rules everyone has to follow when joking about states. Toxic waste dump? My home state of New Jersey. Loopy, granola-eating hippies? Cali. Overall weirdness? My current state of Florida. And incest ...

Patty Murray may be in trouble in Washington. Normally the GOP just writes off the senate and gubernatorial races here, but McConnell is dumping money from his superpac for Tiffany Smiley, who has changed her approach from being a pro-life MAGA to scrubbing her website of all things abortion, and is now running as a concerned mom and political outsider. Murray is not really popular here and she's got a history of taking tons of big pharma money. She's a career politician who doesn't get much done and has been in the senate for 30 years. Polls have Smiley within 3 points. That's a 17 point gain in 6 weeks.

Smiley is so slimy. She came out supporting the Texas anti-abortion law and also spread false election fraud lies. Now says she supports a state right to abortion up to viability and has also scrubbed all posts relating to Trump or election fraud. Still refuses to admit Biden was legitimately elected, though.

I don't want Oz elected and I couldn't care less how it impacts "control of the Senate".
btw, Oz says his daughters don't want to have sex with him because they hate his smell.

From CNN: How big of a problem is John Fetterman's health? LINK
"We are working to figure out what a fair debate would look like with the lingering impacts of the auditory processing in mind," Fetterman campaign strategist.

Patty Murray may be in trouble in Washington. Normally the GOP just writes off the senate and gubernatorial races here, but McConnell is dumping money from his superpac for Tiffany Smiley, who has changed her approach from being a pro-life MAGA to scrubbing her website of all things abortion, and is now running as a concerned mom and political outsider. Murray is not really popular here and she's got a history of taking tons of big pharma money. She's a career politician who doesn't get much done and has been in the senate for 30 years. Polls have Smiley within 3 points. That's a 17 point gain in 6 weeks.
Even with the polls-only model, 538 gives Murray a 90% chance. But I suppose that's the kind of race that could fly under the radar until a few weeks out when we realize it's much closer than we expect.

"We are working to figure out what a fair debate would look like with the lingering impacts of the auditory processing in mind," Fetterman campaign strategist.
That's ... not a phrase you want to be coming from your campaign two months out from Election Day

It's a huge issue. What does a Senator do as a job description...they debate their policy stances with other Senators to try and come to agreement on bills. If he's having trouble speaking then he can't really perform the duties of the job in the manner that is require to represent Pennsylvania. If he's healthy enough to do the job of a Senator as his camp is saying, then he's healthy enough to debate. What's he scared of? Huge red flags going off on this guy.

It's a huge issue. What does a Senator do as a job description...they debate their policy stances with other Senators to try and come to agreement on bills. If he's having trouble speaking then he can't really perform the duties of the job in the manner that is require to represent Pennsylvania. If he's healthy enough to do the job of a Senator as his camp is saying, then he's healthy enough to debate. What's he scared of? Huge red flags going off on this guy.
Pretty sure the job of a Senator is to check the box the party leader tells them to check.

Agreed. Huge red flags. Huge. Guy is borderline unfit for office.

Still better than Oz tho.

Agreed. Huge red flags. Huge. Guy is borderline unfit for office.

Still better than Oz tho.

Don't know. Waiting for debate. Reports are he's going to do one.

Pretty sure the job of a Senator is to check the box the party leader tells them to check.

Someone forgot to tell Manchin and Sinema that.

True. I almost wrote "in 99% of cases". In all seriousness, though, I doubt there's generally much of any policy debates at all between Senators. Any "debating" these days is done via media statements.

True. I almost wrote "in 99% of cases". In all seriousness, though, I doubt there's generally much of any policy debates at all between Senators. Any "debating" these days is done via media statements.

Not with the same party controlling the House and Senate. That's why we need a split Congress.

Listened to Fetterman's interview on Pod Save America. Overall, I think he has a lot going for him, but I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be (and this was in an interview that was full of softballs). In terms of the stroke, if I heard that interview not knowing anything about it, I don't think anything would have stuck out, but knowing what I do know, there were a couple small things that reminded me of conversations with my aunt after she had one.

The bigger issue for me was that I would have liked to have seen him articulate more of a positive vision rather than continuing to go after Oz. In particular, on one question about how he would reach voters who don't like Oz but are disgusted with politics in general, he ... attacked Oz some more. I could maybe see the logic if he were an unpopular incumbent whose only path to victory was to make his opponent toxic, but I think Fetterman has the potential to get a lot of people really excited about him. I hope he takes advantage of that.

What a turd

"Fetterman supports taxpayer-funded drug dens and the complete decriminalization of illegal drugs, including heroin, cocaine, crystal meth, and ultra lethal fentanyl," Trump said. "By the way, he takes them himself."
That the former president accused a senatorial candidate of doing all sorts of drugs, with no evidence, and we just collectively ho-hum is a disgrace. This man is cancer

Careful. I got a 5 day TO for a similar statement about 4 years ago. Of course he was POTUS at the time, but it was also true then too.

Listened to Fetterman's interview on Pod Save America. Overall, I think he has a lot going for him, but I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be (and this was in an interview that was full of softballs). In terms of the stroke, if I heard that interview not knowing anything about it, I don't think anything would have stuck out, but knowing what I do know, there were a couple small things that reminded me of conversations with my aunt after she had one.

The bigger issue for me was that I would have liked to have seen him articulate more of a positive vision rather than continuing to go after Oz. In particular, on one question about how he would reach voters who don't like Oz but are disgusted with politics in general, he ... attacked Oz some more. I could maybe see the logic if he were an unpopular incumbent whose only path to victory was to make his opponent toxic, but I think Fetterman has the potential to get a lot of people really excited about him. I hope he takes advantage of that.

I will be tuned into the debate between these two whenever it happens. I'm extremely skeptical that Fetterman is healthy enough to do the job of Senator.

I will be tuned into the debate between these two whenever it happens. I'm extremely skeptical that Fetterman is healthy enough to do the job of Senator.
Don't know the details of Fetterman's health, but as has been posted before, many congressman and POTUS have served with health issues -- Roosevelt had polio, Kennedy had Addisons --

I'll take someone sane with a health problem over another celebrity Trump apologist.

Don't know the details of Fetterman's health, but as has been posted before, many congressman and POTUS have served with health issues -- Roosevelt had polio, Kennedy had Addisons --

I'll take someone sane with a health problem over another celebrity Trump apologist.

So why the vote for Biden then?

Not following your logic here. If he'd prefer someone with a health problem over a Trump apologist, doesn't that explain his vote for Biden?

Doesn't it matter if any health impediments Fetterman may have at the moment are temporary or permanent? Lots of people have strokes and return to full health. Hell, Joe Biden had one 34 years ago, and whatever you may think of him today, it would be hard to argue that he's been impaired for the last three decades.

Not following your logic here. If he'd prefer someone with a health problem over a Trump apologist, doesn't that explain his vote for Biden?
Biden is neither sane nor healthy with his Dementia and all that.

Doesn't it matter if any health impediments Fetterman may have at the moment are temporary or permanent? Lots of people have strokes and return to full health. Hell, Joe Biden had one 34 years ago, and whatever you may think of him today, it would be hard to argue that he's been impaired for the last three decades.

We have no way of knowing if Fetterman will be in the "lots of people" group that return to full health. Like I said, I'll wait for the debate to hear the guys policies and see how he sounds.

We have no way of knowing if Fetterman will be in the "lots of people" group that return to full health. Like I said, I'll wait for the debate to hear the guys policies and see how he sounds.
Well, I certainly agree that, from a political standpoint, he better show up to that debate completely on point; no long pauses, no using the wrong words, no trouble hearing the questions, etc. It's like a job interview or a date: when people have a small sample size with which to evaluate you, you can't afford to leave them with a bad first impression.

I also wonder if his campaign is deliberately lowering expectations heading into the debate. Oz has been portraying him as a drooling invalid, so if he shows up and seems coherent, it will be judged as a win.

Oz has been portraying him as a drooling invalid, so if he shows up and seems coherent, it will be judged as a win.
A drooling invalid is more qualified than Oz. He is a joke.
I agree, but at this point, while Fetterman is the heavy favorite, the one thing that could still sink him would be if he doesn't seem healthy enough for the job. That's why the debate will be important

while Fetterman is the heavy favorite, the one thing that could still sink him would be if he doesn't seem healthy enough for the job. That's why the debate will be important
That's why ducking the debate is important.
If he’s truly impaired, I suppose. But if he’s good enough to make it through the evening, I bet he takes the chance. Ducking carries too much risk, precisely because it would confirm so many suspicions

while Fetterman is the heavy favorite, the one thing that could still sink him would be if he doesn't seem healthy enough for the job. That's why the debate will be important
If he’s truly impaired, I suppose. But if he’s good enough to make it through the evening, I bet he takes the chance. Ducking carries too much risk, precisely because it would confirm so many suspicions
We have different definitions of "confirm".

Again with the cryptic one-liners. Not going down that rabbit hole, especially since I'm not even clear what we disagree on.

Again with the cryptic one-liners. Not going down that rabbit hole, especially since I'm not even clear what we disagree on.
"cryptic"

"cryptic"
Exactly

"cryptic"
Exactly
The funny thing is: I THINK we're in agreement that Oz shouldn't get elected. But on Fetterman, you think avoiding the debates "confirms" his condition while I believe that engaging in a debate will confirm it. NBD
Either way, Fetterman needs to put the focus on Oz (and his fraud) not himself (and his own health) imho.

"cryptic"
Exactly
The funny thing is: I THINK we're in agreement that Oz shouldn't get elected. But on Fetterman, you think avoiding the debates "confirms" his condition while I believe that engaging in a debate will confirm it. NBD
Either way, Fetterman needs to put the focus on Oz (and his fraud) not himself (and his own health) imho.
OK, now I understand your point. See, was that so hard?

We are in agreement, other than on Fetterman's actual condition right now (which obviously neither of us actually knows). If he really is that bad, I agree that debating is a riskier play than ducking it. And if he's not that bad -- which, based on the interview I heard him do, I suspect is the case, though again, I can't know for sure -- I think the risks of ducking outweigh the risks of debating. But both strategies carry risk.

"cryptic"
Exactly

We are in agreement, other than on Fetterman's actual condition right now (which obviously neither of us actually knows). If he really is that bad, I agree that debating is a riskier play than ducking it. And if he's not that bad -- which, based on the interview I heard him do, I suspect is the case, though again, I can't know for sure -- I think the risks of ducking outweigh the risks of debating. But both strategies carry risk.
It may have nothing to do with his health. When you have a double digit lead, debates can’t help you. All they can do is help your opponent. That’s a general truth of politics.

Personally I hate it: I think every senate or big race should have at least one televised debate: I believe the candidates owe that to the public. But there’s no denying the game.

"cryptic"
Exactly

It may have nothing to do with his health. When you have a double digit lead, debates can’t help you. All they can do is help your opponent. That’s a general truth of politics.

Personally I hate it: I think every senate or big race should have at least one televised debate: I believe the candidates owe that to the public. But there’s no denying the game.
Yes, but my point was that because of his health, whatever he decides regarding the debate becomes higher stakes. If he debates and comes off badly, people will wonder if he's fully recovered. If he ducks the debate, people will wonder if he's fully recovered.

Leaving aside the reason you cite in your second paragraph, which I totally agree with, if I were his campaign manager I would advise him to debate unless he's really so bad that showing up would hurt his chances

I think under normal circumstances this is true. In this particular case, when the only argument your opponent is making is that your health (particularly mental) is an issue, ducking a debate could appear to validate the claim.

Users who are viewing this thread