What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*****Official 2022 Senate Elections Thread***** (1 Viewer)

That race was over the moment Oz was declared the winner over McCormick. The fact that Fetterman is so far left, is physically impaired now to being unable to actively campaign, and still is up by such a wide margin says a lot.
The Republican nominee for Governor (in a state where Gettysburg is located) once dressed up as a Confederate soldier.

I have wondered if this isn't a long-term plan from the Republicans: have Trump's endorsements lose to such terribly weak candidates that they finally dump him and then get behind DeSantis full-throttle for 2024.

Fetterman is refusing to debate Oz. That's a lost vote for me.

Dems now almost as likely to hold both houses of Congress after the election as Rs are.

538's sims show 31% R/R and 24% D/D.

R/D (House/Senate) remains the most likely outcome at 45%, but the odds are still in motion and moving in the Dems' favor.

Dems holding onto the Senate in the environment that existed for most of the year seems impossible, but it's now about 2/3 to happen.

We're all terribly convinced you were undecided. 😂

I'm a registered Democrat.

Fetterman is not physically able to do the job. He's having auditory issues from his stroke.
Does this mean you sit out the election or are you voting for Oz?

If he doesn't debate, I'm definitely voting for Oz. I don't want some guy who has trouble speaking and has health issues representing me in Congress. If you can't do the bare minimum while running a Senate campaign, then you don't deserve to be on the ballot. And yes, I think holding at least one debate is the bare minimum. I like to hear people support their positions under pressure and with challenge.

Fetterman is not physically able to do the job. He's having auditory issues from his stroke.

If he doesn't debate, I'm definitely voting for Oz. I don't want some guy who has trouble speaking and has health issues representing me in Congress. If you can't do the bare minimum while running a Senate campaign, then you don't deserve to be on the ballot. And yes, I think holding at least one debate is the bare minimum. I like to hear people support their positions under pressure and with challenge.
There were quite a few POTUS with disabilities --

So a registered Democrat is going to vote for a far right kook who is immensely unqualified to hold office?

So, mark you down as a Democrat vote in 2024 when the GOP candidate for POTUS refuses to debate?

So a registered Democrat is going to vote for a far right kook who is immensely unqualified to hold office?

As opposed to a far left kook who isn't healthy enough to even speak? I think my choices are pretty limited here.

So, mark you down as a Democrat vote in 2024 when the GOP candidate for POTUS refuses to debate?

That's correct. If a candidate won't hold one debate, they won't get my vote.

EDIT - Disclosure: I didn't vote for either Presidential candidate in 2016. Voted Trump in 2020.

@Snotbubbles I’m curious what political positions you hold that align with the Democratic Party? I’ve read your views on a variety of subjects and regard you as pretty conservative on all of them.

To be honest, I align more with the Libertarian party than the Democratic party. My unwavering stance is that I want as little government intrusion in my daily life as possible. My position on different political topics is both liberal on some things and conservative on others.

I want to the US government to have a balanced budget and not operate at a deficit. Does that align me with Democrats or Republicans?

I don't think defunding the police is a good idea. Democrats or Republicans?

I want to see marijuana legalized. Democrat or Republican?

I'm pro-life but would give access to abortions up to 10 weeks. Democrat or Republican?

I want to see the US move to more renewable energy but in a responsible manner that doesn't cause Americans financial pain. Democrat or Republican?

I want to see criminal justice reform. Democrat or Republican?

I want strong borders. Democrat or Republican?

I want to pay as little in taxes as I can. Democrat or Republican?

I'm just a moderate Democrat who didn't move left when the Party did and now on a message board sound like a conservative Republican. But the truth of the matter is, many Democrats and a majority of Independents probably think the same as I do.

Last edited:

I agree with you, to an extent. Fetterman should debate, both because in general it's something voters deserve to see and more specifically to demonstrate that he's fully recovered from his stroke. Hopefully this is just part of a negotiating ploy.

Meanwhile, I would bet a large sum of money on there being no general election debates in the 2024 presidential race. Republicans have already announced they're done with the Commission on Presidential Debates, and there's basically no moderator left who they will consider acceptable.

I'm pro-life. Democrat or Republican?
Curious about something: I know there are pro-life libertarians (Ron and Rand Paul come to mind), but do you see a contradiction between wanting as little government intrusion as possible and wanting the state to regulate women's bodies?

I'm pro-life. Democrat or Republican?
Curious about something: I know there are pro-life libertarians (Ron and Rand Paul come to mind), but do you see a contradiction between wanting as little government intrusion as possible and wanting the state to regulate women's bodies?

Well I amended my pro-life stance to give more color (I'm already on record with this stance in the Dobbs thread). But for me, regulating abortion is more about protecting the unborn child than controlling a woman's body. I can't in good conscience justify killing what I believe to be a human life. That being said, I recognize that situations may arise that weren't present at conception and would allow access. I chose 10 weeks as my cutoff because that is when the unborn child's heart is fully developed. After that, it would have to be due to an emergency exception.

I want to the US government to have a balanced budget and not operate at a deficit. Does that align me with Democrats or Republicans? Neither

I don't think defunding the police is a good idea. Democrats or Republicans? Neither

I want to see marijuana legalized. Democrat or Republican? Democrat

I'm pro-life but would give access to abortions up to 10 weeks. Democrat or Republican? Republican

I want to see the US move to more renewable energy but in a responsible manner that doesn't cause Americans financial pain. Democrat or Republican? Republican

I want to see criminal justice reform. Democrat or Republican? Democrat

I want strong borders. Democrat or Republican? Republican

I want to pay as little in taxes as I can. Democrat or Republican? Republican
Sorry, survey says republican 4 democrat 2 :)

I want to the US government to have a balanced budget and not operate at a deficit. Does that align me with Democrats or Republicans? Neither

I don't think defunding the police is a good idea. Democrats or Republicans? Neither

I'm pro-life but would give access to abortions up to 10 weeks. Democrat or Republican? Republican

I want to see the US move to more renewable energy but in a responsible manner that doesn't cause Americans financial pain. Democrat or Republican? Republican

Just curious so in your opinion the Democratic platform is in favor of weak borders, high taxes and unfettered access to abortion? I think you better look at some polling bud.

@Snotbubbles I’m curious what political positions you hold that align with the Democratic Party? I’ve read your views on a variety of subjects and regard you as pretty conservative on all of them.

To be honest, I align more with the Libertarian party than the Democratic party. My unwavering stance is that I want as little government intrusion in my daily life as possible. My position on different political topics is both liberal on some things and conservative on others.

I want to the US government to have a balanced budget and not operate at a deficit. Does that align me with Democrats or Republicans?

I'm pro-life but would give access to abortions up to 10 weeks. Democrat or Republican?

I want to see the US move to more renewable energy but in a responsible manner that doesn't cause Americans financial pain. Democrat or Republican?

I'm just a moderate Democrat who didn't move left when the Party did and now on a message board sound like a conservative Republican. But the truth of the matter is, many Democrats and a majority of Independents probably think the same as I do.
Very similar to me. I’m for sure viewed as conservative here but voted for both Bill Clinton and Al Gore.

On the vast majority of the items on this list your position lines up on the Republican side. IMO. I don’t think you could reasonably call yourself a Democrat.

On the vast majority of the items on this list your position lines up on the Republican side. IMO. I don’t think you could reasonably call yourself a Democrat.

Democrats, the party of deficit spending, high taxes, weak border and abortion up to birth. Is that really what you think the Democratic party is? The Republicans, the party of balanced budgets, low taxes, strong borders and restrictions on abortion. Tim, please run Biden's next campaign, I'm sure your platform will align with a ton of Democratic voters.

Very similar to me. I’m for sure viewed as conservative here but voted for both Bill Clinton and Al Gore.

Exactly Shula.

The problem is for example, someone sees a 10 week ban on abortion and says, "Republican". But the truth of the matter is at this point we're only presented with two options, total bans and total access. Most Democratic voters don't want either of those things, they want reasonable restrictions.

Same thing with fossil fuels, some want to go from A to Z without the infrastructure to support green energy. It needs to be done at a pace that we can support it properly. But you show any support for fossil fuels and it's "Republican".

Only fringe people like Tim think that what is going on at the southern borders is acceptable. I can't imagine people like paying taxes either. Wanting lower taxes isn't really a Republican or Democrat thing, it's just an I don't get up for work each day so I can give my earnings to the government type thing.

Just curious so in your opinion the Democratic platform is in favor of weak borders, high taxes and unfettered access to abortion? I think you better look at some polling bud.
No, I think the republican platform is strong borders, low taxes, and severe restrictions on abortion

Same thing with fossil fuels, some want to go from A to Z without the infrastructure to support green energy. It needs to be done at a pace that we can support it properly. But you show any support for fossil fuels and it's "Republican".
We could go at any pace we want with the proper government investment. That's what Democrats are arguing for. Republicans are generally arguing for letting the market sort out the pace. The problem with that approach is by then it will be too late. If you want to keep the pace slow, that is definitely a Republican position.

The problem is for example, someone sees a 10 week ban on abortion and says, "Republican". But the truth of the matter is at this point we're only presented with two options, total bans and total access. Most Democratic voters don't want either of those things, they want reasonable restrictions.
Yes, a 10-week ban definitely does lean Republican. It's much too short a timeline in Democrats' eyes.

I suspect that most Democrats would sign up for 20 weeks with exception for health of the mother until birth. I suspect virtually no Republicans would do the same.

It is important, of course, to clarify that Democrats would insist on "exception for health of the mother" to be something entirely decided, in private, between the mother and doctor. Virtually no Republicans would agree to that, either.

Yes, a 10-week ban definitely does lean Republican. It's much too short a timeline in Democrats' eyes.

I suspect that most Democrats would sign up for 20 weeks with exception for health of the mother until birth. I suspect virtually no Republicans would do the same.

It is important, of course, to clarify that Democrats would insist on "exception for health of the mother" to be something entirely decided, in private, between the mother and doctor. Virtually no Republicans would agree to that, either.
Are you referring to officials who face primaries or the electorate at large? It's a very different subset between the two because politicians on both sides are no longer afraid of being primaried by someone moderate, rather by their left or right flank.

Democrats, the party of deficit spending, high taxes, weak border and abortion up to birth. Is that really what you think the Democratic party is? The Republicans, the party of balanced budgets, low taxes, strong borders and restrictions on abortion. Tim, please run Biden's next campaign, I'm sure your platform will align with a ton of Democratic voters.
Yeah, you sound like a Democrat. :lol:

I've been alive for 48 years and I don't think I've ever heard or watched a debate where this happens....ever. Debates have been mere public theater my entire life. By the way, if this guy doesn't debate, you aren't going to hear Oz debate either, so why would you be giving him an exception to this self-professed hard and fast requirement?

Are you referring to officials who face primaries or the electorate at large? It's a very different subset between the two because politicians on both sides are no longer afraid of being primaried by someone moderate, rather by their left or right flank.
Fair enough question. I was referring to the electorate at large.

Taking your stated positions in order…

1. Neither. The last party to succeed in doing so at a federal level was the Democrats, but forcing a balanced budget isn’t something either major party is interested in promising or following through upon. Forced to pick, I’d say Democrats because they’ve had more recent success in that type of fiscal responsibility, but neither party has earned a designation.

2. Neither. No major political party will have Defund The Police as a platform plank in 2024. Forced to pick I’d say Republican because they will be more likely to campaign on not defunding the police.

3. Democrat. The Democratic Party is at least 20 years ahead of Republicans on this issue and the evangelical wing of the GOP will never allow a Republican Presidential nominee to campaign on any meaningful level of drug legalization.

4. Republican. The 10-week ban is more strict than anything the Republican Party was trying to pass at a state level before the Dobbs decision got leaked.

5. Democrats. Republican Party leadership has shown next-to-zero interest in moving to renewable energy, and their preferred candidate for President in 2024 is opposed.

6. Inconclusive. “Criminal justice reform” is way too vague a term to draw a meaningful conclusion that isn’t largely based on inference guesswork. Both parties will probably propose some type of criminal justice reform for 2024 campaign season, but one won’t resemble the other.

7. Inconclusive. “Strong borders” is way too vague a term to draw a meaningful conclusion that isn’t largely based on inference guesswork. Forced to guess I’d guess Republican as they will likely run a candidate who previously campaigned on building a wall along the USA/Mexico border and hasn’t indicated a change in stance, but it would be unfair to infer that you think a wall along the USA/Mexico border meets your definition of “strong borders” or is a policy you support.

8. Republican. Republicans will campaign on cutting taxes. If Democrats run on Medicare For All, that would definitely be a tax increase even if it meant healthcare cost reductions for most families.

Last edited:
The Republicans, the party of balanced budgets,
This is just plain nonsense! Close to the entire national debt comes directly or indirectly from Republican tax cuts since 1981. The "surpluses out as far as we can see" talk of 2000 became "you can better decide what to do with them then the government" became "soon tax revenue won't be enough to cover mandatory spending yet alone discretionary spending such as the military". Democrats might irresponsibly waive "pay go" every now and then, republicans reject it entirely.

Reasonable restrictions are something most people believe in, but in reality, they are a myth. You cannot reasonably have the state get into the decision-making process when lives are in danger. Government just isn't nibble enough and thus you either have what happens in much of the western world restriction on paper, but total access in practice or what the GOP wants of exceptions on paper but total restriction in practice. The idea that there is a "middle way" is one that most want to believe in, but simply not practical.

Exactly Shula.

Only fringe people like Tim think that what is going on at the southern borders is acceptable. I can't imagine people like paying taxes either. Wanting lower taxes isn't really a Republican or Democrat thing, it's just an I don't get up for work each day so I can give my earnings to the government type thing.
I don't really care how you identify. But you are in a pretty small group of registered Democrats that are pro-life. So I don't think it would be surprising for people to think you to be Republican based on that one issue alone.

Something like 90% of all abortions happen before 10 weeks.

I've been alive for 48 years and I don't think I've ever heard or watched a debate where this happens....ever. Debates have been mere public theater my entire life. By the way, if this guy doesn't debate, you aren't going to hear Oz debate either, so why would you be giving him an exception to this self-professed hard and fast requirement?

Michael Bloomberg literally imploded on the stage in his Democratic primary debate. Biden imploded in his second Presidential debate. In the debates, I really like Buttigeig's demeanor and reasoned responses, but I felt like Klobuchar sounded scared all the time. I prefer to see people speak and be put on the spot.

Exactly Shula.

I don't really care how you identify. But you are in a pretty small group of registered Democrats that are pro-life. So I don't think it would be surprising for people to think you to be Republican based on that one issue alone.

Sure and then when you look at polls that place restrictions on abortion you see I'm no longer in the minority.

Something like 90% of all abortions happen before 10 weeks.
OK. Everything I wrote is still accurate.

You should join me and the rest in the Independent group. That way you can throw shade wherever and whenever you want, and constantly get accused of either being a leftist commie or a righty fascist, depending on the thread topic. It's fun. There's cake and donuts now too.

I just want to go through each of these on their own for fun:

Well, I think the Republicans would want to claim this one, but in truth and for awhile now, that's been the Democrats.

This one, on the surface sounds like a Republican position... however in practice is more that the Democrats favor removing some of the tasks from the police (like dealing with a mentally unstable homeless person) and using the funding that supported that to fund a different service that performs that type of task. Republicans favor maintaining the status quo on policing. Not sure where you actually fall based on the content you shared.

Typically a Democrat take. But some Republicans also are in favor.

Democrat, but you're kinda missing the window on both. Dems typically want less restriction than 10 weeks would allow for. Republicans want no abortions. On this issue, like me and several others, you're forced into a lesser of two evils choice typically.

Kinda neither party again. Dems maybe closer.

Definite Democrat.

Definite Republican.

If you're poor, Democrat. If you're rich, Republican.

You're a conservative.

If you're poor, Democrat. If you're rich, Republican.
Truer words were never spoken.

According to the calculator: "Based on your household income and the number of people in your household, YOU are in the UPPER income tier, along with 23% of adults in PHILADELPHIA-CAMDEN-WILMINGTON." I wouldn't say I'm rich, but I'm certainly not poor.

What a turd

"Fetterman supports taxpayer-funded drug dens and the complete decriminalization of illegal drugs, including heroin, cocaine, crystal meth, and ultra lethal fentanyl," Trump said. "By the way, he takes them himself."

Users who are viewing this thread