What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2022 World Cup Thread*** (2 Viewers)

Fox announcer assignments

No surprise we get Strong / Holden on all three USA Group games.
Guess it could be worse. At least I don't have to listen to Donovan, Twellman, Lalas....

Twellman works for ESPN. There will be a heavy dose of Lalas though pre game, halftime and post game.
Oh I knew he does, still glad we don't have to hear him. I can ignore Lalas too. Most of the games will be watched at work with no sound, so should be able to avoid LD too.

Fox announcer assignments

No surprise we get Strong / Holden on all three USA Group games.
Guess it could be worse. At least I don't have to listen to Donovan, Twellman, Lalas....

Twellman works for ESPN. There will be a heavy dose of Lalas though pre game, halftime and post game.
Oh I knew he does, still glad we don't have to hear him. I can ignore Lalas too. Most of the games will be watched at work with no sound, so should be able to avoid LD too.
They should bring the NBC halftime team in. That group is pretty good.

I've found their valuations to be more real-world accurate than Transfermarkt.
Man, Belgium seems way out of place low. I guess De Bruyne is half the team...

Transfer fees and age have a high correlation. Belgium I believe is one of the oldest teams in the tournament.

So, since the World Cup is close, I was checking viewing options. I'm too cheap to pay for the 4k version of YoutubeTV, but apparently the Fox Sports App will have all WC games available in glorious 4k. Obviously, you have to have the right TV to take advantage of this but thought others may want to know. I also have read good things about the Fox Sports App. YMMV.

So, since the World Cup is close, I was checking viewing options. I'm too cheap to pay for the 4k version of YoutubeTV, but apparently the Fox Sports App will have all WC games available in glorious 4k. Obviously, you have to have the right TV to take advantage of this but thought others may want to know. I also have read good things about the Fox Sports App. YMMV.
US games should all be available in 4k via OTA antenna on Fox if you’re set up for that, no?

US games should all be available in 4k via OTA antenna on Fox if you’re set up for that, no?
Yes. I believe that is the case.

This is a great stat
====

There's only been 2 players who've won World Cups while playing outside of top 5 or their own domestic league:

Ronaldao - Shimizu S Pulse
Hector Zelada - Club America

Neither played a minute in the WC.

Who is CIES that ESPN is using for valuations? I assumed everyone uses Transfermarkt.

The ESPN article has Bellingham at 202mil, while Transfermarkt has Bellingham at 100mil and below Mbappe, Vinicius, Foden, and Pedri (also Haaland but he's not at the World Cup).

Probably factoring in that City are supposedly interested in Bellingham, therefore his current club can charge double

This is a great stat
====

There's only been 2 players who've won World Cups while playing outside of top 5 or their own domestic league:

Ronaldao - Shimizu S Pulse
Hector Zelada - Club America

Neither played a minute in the WC.
That's really just because there are only a handful of countries that have won the cup. The only non "top 5" that have are Brazil, Argentina, and Uruguay.

None of Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark, Scotland, Portugal, Switzerland, Austria, Greece, Turkey, Mexico, Colombia, Chile have won the world cup.

Realized a made a mistake with the URL last night.

World Cup 2022 Drinking Guide

Links should be working from the drinks now.

@Ramsay Hunt Experience @The Gator

I feel responsible in a very small way.

Will be fascinating to see what happens and how many get jail time.

Realized a made a mistake with the URL last night.

World Cup 2022 Drinking Guide

Links should be working from the drinks now.

@Ramsay Hunt Experience @The Gator

I feel responsible in a very small way.

Will be fascinating to see what happens and how many get jail time.
The entire world cup has been bait and switch. Remember how their presentation to FIFA was based on how they could hold the WC in Qatar in the summer?

Budweiser is going to be having a long talk with FIFA that is likely to result in some serious financial ramifications, not unlike what Fox did that secured them WC 2026 with out needing to bid.

Last edited:

Budweiser is going to be having a long talk with FIFA that is likely to result in some serious financial ramifications, not unlike what Fox did that secured them WC 2026 with out needing to bid.
You gotta think the Inbev lawyers wrote up lots of stipulations in the contract with FIFA. You could see this coming from a mile away. Here's to hoping France gets booted early as recompense for putting the WC in this ****hole.

Makes you wonder what else they will be changing their mind on while people are there. What a fiasco.
Hotel inspections, morality police squads permeating the WC area, monitors on every alcohol outlet. Women, in particular, should really think twice about going.

The level of corruption in FIFA has been legendary over the years but they hit their masterpiece here. This WC is going to haunt FIFA financially for years in ways most people will never know of.

Fox and Budweiser are only two of many huge sponsors that are going to rake FIFA over the coals.

Last edited:
Makes you wonder what else they will be changing their mind on while people are there. What a fiasco.
Hotel inspections, morality police squads permeating the WC area, monitors on every alcohol outlet. Women, in particular, should really think twice about going.
If you are gay/lesbian/trans, you DEFINITELY should not be going.

I mean, look, they blatantly used slave labor to build the stadiums/infrastructure and who knows how many died during construction. Anyone shocked that they are banning alcohol 2 days before the start really shouldn’t be.

And none of this makes any sense. You would have thought one of the big reasons to "buy" the WC was to put on a show for the world to help your countries PR.

Qatar is doing everything against that. I don't see what the reward is for Qatar in hosting. It won't be financial since the stadium costs alone are going to offset any money they make.

And none of this makes any sense. You would have thought one of the big reasons to "buy" the WC was to put on a show for the world to help your countries PR.

Qatar is doing everything against that. I don't see what the reward is for Qatar in hosting. It won't be financial since the stadium costs alone are going to offset any money they make.
It's an autocracy - they think they can control the narrative.

Honestly this fiasco will likely shift some power away from FIFA and towards UEFA if the WC sux and UEFA Euros is well run and more fun.

i didn't want to go to qatar before. even less so now. this is working out well for them.
The thing is that this WC has soured me on tourism for the whole region. I would have considered a trip to Dubai previously, now i don't want to go there.
My friend went to Dubai a few weeks ago and said it was amazing but I don’t know. Seems like a lot of walking on eggshells to see a place. I doubt I ever go.

i didn't want to go to qatar before. even less so now. this is working out well for them.
The thing is that this WC has soured me on tourism for the whole region. I would have considered a trip to Dubai previously, now i don't want to go there.
My friend went to Dubai a few weeks ago and said it was amazing but I don’t know. Seems like a lot of walking on eggshells to see a place. I doubt I ever go.
My wife has been for a conference but didn't spend much time there. She has transited through like 10 times when flying on Emirates though. She speaks highly of the airline and the airport.

Nonetheless, I say screw them and their dirty oil money. #nopolitcs #noban

I just popped into my local pub to get in on the pool and the owner isn’t running one. He’s convinced there will be violent incidents and resulting bad press and the the tournament will be canceled. (!)

Ummmm…. Not sure what would have to occur and how bad it would have to be for FIFA to cancel. But he is convinced. Bad vibes all around for this one. I hope it’s a good one on the soccer front because it will be the first that my kids pay attention to.

Go USA!

I just popped into my local pub to get in on the pool and the owner isn’t running one. He’s convinced there will be violent incidents and resulting bad press and the the tournament will be canceled. (!)

Ummmm…. Not sure what would have to occur and how bad it would have to be for FIFA to cancel. But he is convinced. Bad vibes all around for this one. I hope it’s a good one on the soccer front because it will be the first that my kids pay attention to.

Go USA!

I don't foresee anything happening bad enough to cancel the WC considering how many bad things have already happened to the poor stadium workers.

But I am sure there are going to be arrests and probably some outbursts that are going to look bad especially when Qatar tries to stop the reporters from filming.

I think we were mistaken in thinking they wanted to “market” themselves to the outside world. Turns out it was a **** measuring contest amongst the gulf states and they don’t give a damn how the foreigners will be treated or how they will be viewed by the outside world

Luckily we have the other thread to focus on the US team, since I think we are going to be talking about a lot of the off the field stuff here.

But in trying to think more about the on field stuff what do you guys think of the Mane injury? I could make an argument that he is the best player in the whole WC who who will be missing through injury. He has been playing as a top 10 player in the world this year so far and it has to make one wonder how much it will effect the dark horse darlings of Sengal.

Could this injury open up a window for Ecuador or (gulp) Qatar to advance?

Does anybody have any initial wagers or prop bets they like? Please share.

Saudi Arabia to win group C?
Along these lines, taking the huge odds on either Germany or Spain finishing last and even some 130-1 on finishing on 0pts. That group is a mix of underdogs I like and favorites that could implode.

If it's not too late to renege on alcohol sales, it's not too late for FIFA to renege on who is hosting this thing. Yank it the **** away from them and give it to a country that already has stadiums. Total ****show.

I wonder how long it will take before people start wondering if Qatar paid off the ref and or some Ecuadoran players if they get a result on Sunday...

Luckily we have the other thread to focus on the US team, since I think we are going to be talking about a lot of the off the field stuff here.

But in trying to think more about the on field stuff what do you guys think of the Mane injury? I could make an argument that he is the best player in the whole WC who who will be missing through injury. He has been playing as a top 10 player in the world this year so far and it has to make one wonder how much it will effect the dark horse darlings of Sengal.

Could this injury open up a window for Ecuador or (gulp) Qatar to advance?

It definitely made me think long and hard about Ecuador over Senegal in the bracket challenge but ultimately, I still took Senegal to advance. They probably won't be able to create enough chances without him to go beyond the round of 16 though.

I wonder how long it will take before people start wondering if Qatar paid off the ref and or some Ecuadoran players if they get a result on Sunday...
Oh I already expect a deep run not unlike South Korea in 2002

Ironically it was the honor of the South Koreans that rejected the Portuguese collusion which allowed the US to get out of the group in 2002 and make it to within a non available VAR call to get to the semifinals..

Last edited:

Ironically it was the honor of the South Koreans that rejected the Portuguese collusion which allowed the US to get out of the group in 2010 and make it to within a non available VAR call to get to the semifinals..
Yeah that Cup had a lot of twists and turns. Some above board, some questionable.

Ironically it was the honor of the South Koreans that rejected the Portuguese collusion which allowed the US to get out of the group in 2010 and make it to within a non available VAR call to get to the semifinals..
Yeah that Cup had a lot of twists and turns. Some above board, some questionable.

I just noticed I had a typo. I meant 2002, not 2010.

Didn't notice, read it like we were talking the same cup.

Didn't notice, read it like we were talking the same cup.
and here we are 20 years later and I have still not ever seen a team, club or international, run as much as that Korean team did. They went so far on pure effort.

One of my favorite WC stories is after SK beat Italy, an Italian club team released their SK player (who was in the WC) and the press release was "he never ran like that for us" :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread