What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2022 World Cup Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Keep this link handy. This is the best guide I have seen so far, with details on all 831 players as well as every team.

831 is an odd (literally) number. What team only brought 25?

Iran. Interestingly they also brought an injured player as one of the 25 so leaving the 26th spot free is even more perplexing.

Sounds like it is all going to plan so far in Qatar. The Qatari officials are harassing any reporter with a camera asking them to stop filming. Grant Wahl even posted that he took an innocuous photo of the WC slogan on his phone and an official came over and asked him to delete.

One Danish reporter, who had his film crew threatened to have their cameras smashed if they continued to film said "you invited the world here, why in would you not let us film non controversial stuff?"

World Cup 2022 Drinking Guide

Links should be working from the drinks now.

Ok, basically "done" at this point. Out of 96 drinks I'm only missing 5 - Senegal liquor, Qatat liquor and mixed drink, Saudi liquor and mixed drink. I did find a NA Saudi Champagne recipe I threw in there so really only 4 drinks missing.

Would love any feedback you guys have - as mentioned feel free to PM if you don't want to clutter the WC thread. I plan to make a lot of posts in the cocktail thread, including recipes and rankings.

Keep this link handy. This is the best guide I have seen so far, with details on all 831 players as well as every team.

Iran. Interestingly they also brought an injured player as one of the 25 so leaving the 26th spot free is even more perplexing.
WTF why??

Didn't north Korea (forget if it was 2018 2014) try and pull a fast one with their roster of goalies? I feel like I remember a story about them trying to sneak in an extra field player as their 3rd GK and then being told that he was only allowed to play goalie as a result

WTF why??

I have not read a valid reason. The coach did a Norman Dale type of "my team in on the floor" moment with the press.

Didn't north Korea (forget if it was 2018 2014) try and pull a fast one with their roster of goalies? I feel like I remember a story about them trying to sneak in an extra field player as their 3rd GK and then being told that he was only allowed to play goalie as a result

2010. They were a barrel of fun :)

Why do they have to designate? Seems dumb to me. If somehow your 3 GKs got injured it's not like they wouldn't let a field player play keeper. Let teams bring whoever they want.

Why do they have to designate? Seems dumb to me. If somehow your 3 GKs got injured it's not like they wouldn't let a field player play keeper. Let teams bring whoever they want.

I am not sure why.

FIFA, at least back then, had a hard rule that field players could be keepers but keepers can't be field players. I don't know of any club league that makes this same distinction.

Sent my son off to school today with a note - needs to be excused at noon on Monday. He asks me if he should say its for a doctors appointment and I told him - don't lie, tell them you're going to watch the World Cup with dad.
I'm doing the same for my kids. They're teacher is from Peru so I'm pretty sure she'll understand.

Pulling for USMNT obviously.

Pulling hard against Qatar (obviously) and ENG, GER, BRA. While I want to like CAN, I kinda want to see them get stomped after what they did in qualifying.

I'll pull for DEN, FRA, CRO, and ESP from UEFA. I like Cameroon from AFC, Uruguay from CONMEBOL, and I'll pull for Mexico as I appreciate the passion for el tri. I'll pull for Japan or Korea against any of the others except maybe Ecuador.
Massive Cameroon fan. How can you not like the Indomitable Lions? Most importantly - is Milla playing?

ok... I've told this story a bunch, but I'll throw it up again.

I was with the CA u19 state team in Germany- based in Hanover, staying at their training facilities, and travelling around playing games anything from local club teams, to their state team (twice) to a bundie 2 squad. Every europe trip I did as a kid, the locals would set us up against a "great team- it's ok to lose to them" first game... and this was the same. every trip, the first game would be won be double digits and they'd scramble to get us playing against better opponents. on this trip- the 8x11 posters that went about around towns about the game started with u19 CA team and ended up going to us being the USA u23 national team. anyways... Also staying at the same Hanover facilities was the Cameroon national team- training for that year's ANC.

one night my friend and roommate snuck down to the bar to get an actual legal beer. sat next to a cameroon dude who only spoke french... fortunately I was taking HS french so I was able to talk a little with him. I remember it was mostly about US aggression and the cold-war and... iirc, reagan. my friend was heading to the Naval Academy, so he was on the opposite, more hawkish side of things. we had a beer or two with the guy- really nice- and went to sleep. it was Roger Milla. I had no idea wtf he was until the next WC.

at the end of our stay there, our coach fineggled a match with them for us. absolutely incredible. I think it was 6 or 7 nil... at halftime. but mostly it was like 60-70 nil on nutmegs. every time I was near the ball it was through my legs. but damn- they were so good, so strong and so fast. really was men against boys.

towards the end of the game, I won a free kick about 35 yards out during a small break. it was just me and another dude, and the guy who had fouled me and the GK... who was standing arms akimbo on the PK spot, bored as could be. I assumed we were going to wait for one of our stars (we had a couple guys who would go on to limited US and MLS play... when it finally arrived) to take the kick... but my teammate quickly rolled the ball to me to hit it. and hit it I did... ****ing smashed it- best shot I think I've ever taken in my life. it was dipping AND bending at high pace- heading right into the upper right corner. I started hyperventilating after I hit it thinking "HFS- I'm going to score a goal against Cameroon!!!"... especially since the GK was a mile from the goal line and completely disengaged... until... sunnava... one giant one-footed spring backwards from the PK spot half-way to the goal, and then one giant one-footed jump FURTHER backwards and upwards to punch the shot just over the bar. landing and laughing. that was N'Kono.

the best player on our team was already at the college I ended up going to. against that bundie 2 squad, he was flat out bossing the game as a 10... until one of their players tackled him over the ball, studs-up and broke his leg. could hear the leg crack all the way across the field. :gag: the guy never really played again.

Who is CIES that ESPN is using for valuations? I assumed everyone uses Transfermarkt.

The ESPN article has Bellingham at 202mil, while Transfermarkt has Bellingham at 100mil and below Mbappe, Vinicius, Foden, and Pedri (also Haaland but he's not at the World Cup).

Who is CIES that ESPN is using for valuations? I assumed everyone uses Transfermarkt.

The ESPN article has Bellingham at 202mil, while Transfermarkt has Bellingham at 100mil and below Mbappe, Vinicius, Foden, and Pedri (also Haaland but he's not at the World Cup).

I've found their valuations to be more real-world accurate than Transfermarkt.

the best player on our team was already at the college I ended up going to. against that bundie 2 squad, he was flat out bossing the game as a 10... until one of their players tackled him over the ball, studs-up and broke his leg. could hear the leg crack all the way across the field. :gag: the guy never really played again.
The "Hristo Stoichkov" we call that. He did the same thing to some poor kid at American(?) University. Kid was a little too aggressive/tryhard/whatever and Hristo did him, on purpose, in front of everyone. Should have gone to jail.

The "Hristo Stoichkov" we call that. He did the same thing to some poor kid at American(?) University. Kid was a little too aggressive/tryhard/whatever and Hristo did him, on purpose, in front of everyone. Should have gone to jail.
Or coach was ready to fight the guy... Had to be pulled off. It was so clear that it was intentional... And done because this kid was just outplaying these pros and controlling the game. But that does sound like something Hristo would do from watching him play.

When I was 13, I played for a local men's team who had gotten a game with a travelling Polish squad that had some retired former national star. I went in to a tack on him toe first...to poke the ball away (which I did, no contact). He took it as studs up, and was about to punch me. Our player coach got inbetween us and had HIS back...sent me to the bench to not play again.

Users who are viewing this thread