What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2022 World Cup Thread*** (2 Viewers)

Blatter is finally spilling it all

=====================

Blatter: "The 2022 World Cup was supposed to go to the US. A week before the FIFA-convention Platini called me that he had just spoken with the French president Sarkozy, who told him to vote for Qatar. Six months later Qatar bought fighter jets from France for 14.6 billion dollar"

=====================

Blatter: "The 2022 World Cup was supposed to go to the US. A week before the FIFA-convention Platini called me that he had just spoken with the French president Sarkozy, who told him to vote for Qatar. Six months later Qatar bought fighter jets from France for 14.6 billion dollar"
I just can't get into this WC, it feels fake. If it's on where I'm at I'll watch, but wont seek anything (other than AAA's cocktail list) out.

=====================

I just can't get into this WC, it feels fake. If it's on where I'm at I'll watch, but wont seek anything (other than AAA's cocktail list) out.

The unfortunate part of so many of you guys not looking forward to this WC, is that this is very likely the last WC ever to have the near perfect 32 team formula.

If FIFA does not change* how they want to run the group stage with 48 teams, I think the hey days of the great WC's are going to be behind us.

*There was a rumor a couple of months ago that they were considering a format change to get away from the awful 3 team groups and go back to the 4 team groups.

=====================

This cup is filled with corruption and blood.
Fox has already said they'll ignore those storylines.
I'm not sure how I'll feel when it kicks off.
If the US starts well, my brain will probably focus on that.
If they struggle, I wonder if I'll just start tuning it out entirely.

And the saddest news of the day is Mane is out of WC.

Hmmm, the Bayern statement just released is no where near as definitive the previous report from L'Equipe

Fabrizio Romano
@FabrizioRomano

Official Bayern statement on Sadio Mané #WorldCup2022 “Sadio Mané has picked up an injury and he won’t be available for game against Schalke. Further tests will follow in the next few days — Bayern is in contact with the medical team of Senegalese Football Association”.

English tv looks fairly straight forward

All games will be shown on only one of two linear channels. Fox or FS1. All games will be streamed by Fox (you need to prove you can access Fox via another method: cable, sat, Hulu Live etc)

Once all the rosters are in I hope to see some fantasy games pop up.

I'm keeping an eye on it. I've seen a few bracket picking games and will probably set one of those up for my friends and will post it here. Over the years, I've learned that fantasy games are not for me in these tournaments. Its always fun to do the initial draft, but I inevitably get bogged down with all the roster changing options during the month and end up stressing about it - just my ocd personality and it ends up being a net negative for me every time.

I'm keeping an eye on it. I've seen a few bracket picking games and will probably set one of those up for my friends and will post it here. Over the years, I've learned that fantasy games are not for me in these tournaments. Its always fun to do the initial draft, but I inevitably get bogged down with all the roster changing options during the month and end up stressing about it - just my ocd personality and it ends up being a net negative for me every time.

I am similar. That is why I tend to look for the salary cap type of leagues. Then I just set it once and I am done, be it for good or typically bad. :)

I am similar. That is why I tend to look for the salary cap type of leagues. Then I just set it once and I am done, be it for good or typically bad. :)

Even with the salary cap leagues, you have to be aware of deadlines to set the roster and captain, and can typically add/drop players between each matchday. The official game will likely have wildcard options and other available roster maneuvers. I get why its fun, but decided after the Euros a couple years ago that its too much for me.

=====================

The unfortunate part of so many of you guys not looking forward to this WC, is that this is very likely the last WC ever to have the near perfect 32 team formula.

If FIFA does not change* how they want to run the group stage with 48 teams, I think the hey days of the great WC's are going to be behind us.

*There was a rumor a couple of months ago that they were considering a format change to get away from the awful 3 team groups and go back to the 4 team groups.
I get people being upset because this World Cup seems even more corrupt and ridiculous than normal, but it is just FIFA showing they are who we thought they were. Not like Russia and Brazil were free of issues.

=====================

We always knew this fix was in. Along with the promise of an air conditioned summer WC (guffaw). I'm just going to ignore this part, unless Qataris love vuvuzelas. Then I'm going to burn **** down.

I'm having a really hard time getting hyped for this World Cup. Which is weird because it will probably be the easiest one for me to watch in a while because I'm taking a break from working right now. Part of it is that I'm not very sanguine about the USMNT's chances of success. And because I don't really think the problem is Gregg (who I don't think is Pep or anything but seems perfectly acceptable to me) has me dreading the discourse. I just don't think this is "the most talented USMNT in recent memory." I think there are some very talented pieces, but any team with glaring holes at ST, CB, and GK is going to be iffy.

And among the other teams, only an epic Messi GOAT-making tournament really seems like an exciting narrative to me. Throw in my distaste for the way Qatar got the tournament and prepared for it (and in fairness, I don't know why I'm having such a strong reaction when I enjoyed Russia 2018 despite the same stuff), and I'm just surprisingly dead inside.

You haven't seen my drinking guide yet.

I think the US is going to get rolled as well. Low expectations are the key to happiness in life

I could see almost anything from an 0-3 to a second round birth via 4 points.
Color me greedy, but after the scars left from the last Iran game I really, really want to win at least that one. I can stomach losing to Bale and the ridiculous amount of talent on the England squad.

That Iran game was the nadir of the USMNT.

That is actually a good question many fans would point to Wet and Bumpy as the nadir but the 98 Iran game felt really bad because it almost took MLS with it which would have killed us for the future.
Wet and bumpy? I don't know that reference. For me, at least, that Iran game was the worst. And, maybe I'm weird, but this is the best.

Not an Floppo alias.

Here is the France roster.....along with Brazil, this is as deep as it gets

RB seems a little weak. Never been impressed w/ Pavard. The rest of the starters are basically world class. Damn.

and that depth is with players like Kante and Pogba who are missing through injury
But they don't have a Dest or Yedlin at RB. Pathetic. Also, we just know the Big Sexy Frenchman (the backup striker) is going to bang in some goals this WC, I believe he can set some French scoring records, which is mind boggling.

I think the US is going to get rolled as well. Low expectations are the key to happiness in life

I could see almost anything from an 0-3 to a second round birth via 4 points.
Color me greedy, but after the scars left from the last Iran game I really, really want to win at least that one. I can stomach losing to Bale and the ridiculous amount of talent on the England squad.

That Iran game was the nadir of the USMNT.

That is actually a good question many fans would point to Wet and Bumpy as the nadir but the 98 Iran game felt really bad because it almost took MLS with it which would have killed us for the future.
Wet and bumpy? I don't know that reference. For me, at least, that Iran game was the worst. And, maybe I'm weird, but this is the best.

Not an Floppo alias.
That would be a hell of a lot of effort over the years if this was my (errr... Floppo's) alias account. :lmao:

Oh come on people. This is the World Cup dammit!

All of you nancy’s need to remember 4 short years ago when the US wasn’t there. How can you not be excited for this!!!!

This is the beginning of a great run. I’m pumped for this!

:headbang: 🇺🇸

Yeah, I'm maybe more excited for this WC than any since the US last hosted and I got to attend a match.

• US with a young, exciting team that qualified
  • A group that allows us a great chance to advance
  • Last hurrah for Ronaldo and Messi (most likely)
  • Timezone that makes all the games at good times, even the 5am ones are ok for me
  • Remote work means I can catch a lot of the rest of the action in real-time
  • Day drinking

All of you nancy’s need to remember 4 short years ago when the US wasn’t there. How can you not be excited for this!!!!

Yeah, I'm maybe more excited for this WC than any since the US last hosted and I got to attend a match.

• Timezone that makes all the games at good times, even the 5am ones are ok for me
  • Day drinking
Do you know if there will be shortened game summaries made? No way I can catch everything and I was hoping for something. Peacock does a great job with their 15 minute recaps. That said I'm super excited Ecuador gets the first game and US the second day (already took off the 21st!).

• Day drinking
Do you know if there will be shortened game summaries made? No way I can catch everything and I was hoping for something. Peacock does a great job with their 15 minute recaps. That said I'm super excited Ecuador gets the first game and US the second day (already took off the 21st!).

In the past, FIFA has had extended highlights for every game on their youtube channel. I don't know what the plans are this year.

• Day drinking

In the past, FIFA has had extended highlights for every game on their youtube channel. I don't know what the plans are this year.
I hope this is the case. I took the entire week off, but I'm sure family obligations won't allow me to watch 4 games/day all week. Plus I have to 'work' the week after T'Giving.

Happy to see Olivier Mbaizo get on the plane for Cameroon. First active Union player to do so. There’s been Union alumni in the World Cup (Carlos Valdes, Aaronson this year) but not active roster guys.

was there also a second MLS player on the Cameroon team? I thought I saw something on twitter but my brain was too full of US stuff to parse it :)

Happy to see Olivier Mbaizo get on the plane for Cameroon. First active Union player to do so. There’s been Union alumni in the World Cup (Carlos Valdes, Aaronson this year) but not active roster guys.

was there also a second MLS player on the Cameroon team? I thought I saw something on twitter but my brain was too full of US stuff to parse it :)
Yeah Nouhou from Seattle.

17 MLS players total announced so far

Canadian site (Rud uses it for NHL playoffs) so the 1st prize is $2000 Air Canada gift card (assume loonies, so probably around $50 US).
You can enter a public contest or set up your own.

Pretty unhappy with the omission of Tomori from the England squad given we have no competent centre backs in the 26

I saw Fabrizio post this group below. Is Tomori the biggest surprise exclusion? Losing Chilwell and James really effects the depth out wide too I think

Fabrizio Romano
@FabrizioRomano

Fikayo Tomori, Tammy Abraham, Jarrod Bowen, Joe Gomez, James Ward-Prowse have been left out of England squad for the World Cup.

James Maddison, Callum Wilson, Ben White, K. Phillips, Conor Gallagher and Kyle Walker are IN the squad

Pretty unhappy with the omission of Tomori from the England squad given we have no competent centre backs in the 26

I saw Fabrizio post this group below. Is Tomori the biggest surprise exclusion? Losing Chilwell and James really effects the depth out wide too I think

Fabrizio Romano
@FabrizioRomano

Fikayo Tomori, Tammy Abraham, Jarrod Bowen, Joe Gomez, James Ward-Prowse have been left out of England squad for the World Cup.

James Maddison, Callum Wilson, Ben White, K. Phillips, Conor Gallagher and Kyle Walker are IN the squad
I'm a bit surpirsed that Ward-Prowse didn't make it just because he's so good on set pieces and would make sense when chasing the game. I also probably would have taken Tammy over Callum Wilson, but that's a matter of whether you want a like for like striker for Kane in the case of fatigue, injury, or suspension or you want a change of pace off the bench.

France is certainly intriguing. Yeah, they seem loaded, but it's tough to imagine a French national team without the Pogba/Kante engine room. I like what I've seen of Camavinga, but I haven't seen a ton (and I've read that he's actually struggled for Real this year). And I only know Tchouameni by reputation. I also think that Lloris is now a pretty clear step below a keeper like Alisson.

I just saw the German team. Reyna's young teammate, 17 year old Moukoko made the squad.
Been talk for a while that he's another big money sell for them in future years. Dortmund is a machine. Like Ajax but in a big 5 league.

Relatedly, Reus is hurt and didn't make the German squad. Guy has immense talent but has been so hurt in recent years. Have to think this was his last chance.

I watched the first two episodes of FIFA Uncovered on Netflix last night. The series starts with Havelange's election in 1974 and moves mostly chronologically from there. Along with the usual journalist talking heads, the filmmakers got access to a rogues gallery of interview subjects including Blatter, Mohammed bin Hammam, Sheikh al Thani and Chuck Blazer's girlfriend.

If you've followed the story over the years, there's not much in the way of new material but it's pretty incredible to see the corruption all laid out.

• Day drinking
West Coast not happy... games at 2am and 5am?
At least I can put the 8am and 11am games on the office TV

• Day drinking

5am is almost perfect for me as I’m usually up by 6. I can either get up at 5 and watch live or 6 and watch a little delayed and Ariel be done before 8am work start.

• Day drinking

5am is almost perfect for me as I’m usually up by 6. I can either get up at 5 and watch live or 6 and watch a little delayed and Ariel be done before 8am work start.
I get up and get ready at 5 so I can turn on the first half. Leave at halftime then catch the rest at work

Users who are viewing this thread