What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2022 World Cup Thread*** (1 Viewer)

I finished the Netflix FIFA documentary. I had to marvel at Blatter who has visibly aged since we last saw him but remains charmingly slimy in his mid 80s. He lies like a rug but the interview is still revealing. I can see how Blatter rose to his position of wealth and power just as I am baffled by Chuck Blazer's success.

United Passions is available on the a bunch of ad-supported streaming sites. Maybe I should watch that for an opposing viewpoint.

Celta have released Luca early so that he can finish his rehab in Doha with the US trainers. GGG must really like this player. Not only is he hurt, even when healthy he barely plays for Celta.

Mane is on the Senegal roster.

Note that rosters can still change up till 24 hours before the first game.

While I'm a big Mane fan, I kind of want him to actually not be fit to maximise the chances of Ndiaye getting minutes and hugely increasing his value by smacking up a weak group

SI Power Rankings. They're pretty low on the US (boo!) And El Tri (spot on, boys!).
I'd be amazed if the US wins a game. Maybe we can get some draws. The team simply lacks cohesion. Hope I'm wrong.
It's been very ephemeral, but if they can catch it at the right time they have the talent to do well.

Also, I don't remember FIFA rules well, but I'm hoping that Tyler Adams' red card stays within the confines of the PL.

SI Power Rankings. They're pretty low on the US (boo!) And El Tri (spot on, boys!).
I'd be amazed if the US wins a game. Maybe we can get some draws. The team simply lacks cohesion. Hope I'm wrong.
It's been very ephemeral, but if they can catch it at the right time they have the talent to do well.

Also, I don't remember FIFA rules well, but I'm hoping that Tyler Adams' red card stays within the confines of the PL.

That is correct. Red cards in league play don't carry over to international play.

I don't have high hopes myself but both the Wales game and Iran game are winnable. Neither of those teams have superior talent so it will come down to effort.

The one real reason for hope is that the US stars are all (crosses fingers) healthy right now. On top of that, Aaronson and Adams have been playing well this fall. Pulisic seems to be a hair's breadth away from catching his top form right now, the FulAmericans are balling. Musah and McKennie showing flashes of brilliance.

I will be very excited if the US somehow makes it out of group play, but I don't think it's beyond them to win 2 of the 3 matches either.

tariq panja

@tariqpanja

Qatar had finally agreed a plan for beer sales a couple months ago, but now senior royals in Qatar are uneasy about booze being so visible around stadiums. So operation hide the beer is now underway:

*** Official World Cup 2022 Drinking Guide ***

This is now online. I'm always waiting until the last minute but I'm a little ahead of schedule this year. There's definitely some data issues and as always, some countries it's nearly impossible to get any drink information. Feel free to PM me with any questions, comments, things you find broken, etc...

NOTE - this definitely has to be viewed on a laptop/desktop. I wanted to make a mobile app this year but I don't know how and my efforts to figure it out didn't go great. Maybe next time.

You can put the dashboard in full screen using a selection at the bottom right of the page.

I finished the Netflix FIFA documentary. I had to marvel at Blatter who has visibly aged since we last saw him but remains charmingly slimy in his mid 80s. He lies like a rug but the interview is still revealing. I can see how Blatter rose to his position of wealth and power just as I am baffled by Chuck Blazer's success.

United Passions is available on the a bunch of ad-supported streaming sites. Maybe I should watch that for an opposing viewpoint.
I watched it as well. The org governing structure is just set up to support both outright corruption at the individual level and at the international "I'll pat your back" level. It was very depressing in that I don't really know what can be done since so much of it can be (if people were smart) structured legally at the international level (ie the whole Qatar payoff to France).

FIFPro report: FIFA World Cup 2022: The Player Workload Journey

a couple takeaways:
In a typical summer World Cup there would be 31 days between the last club game and first group game in the World Cup. This year there are 7 days.
In a typical summer World Cup there are 37 days between a player's last World Cup game and his return to club competition. This year there are 8 days.
Silver lining... [Teachers] summer off!!

Half the damn players in the tournament are French

A small % of these 137 players are victims of circumstance and not just mercenaries.

For example, Gio is correctly listed as being born in England but that has nothing to do with him being English. It was because his dad was playing (and living) in England at that time when he was born.

Here is a a list of the 137 players who were not born in the country they will be representing in the 2022 WC
==============

28 teams - I think the other four are Brazil, Argentina, Saudi Arabia and South Korea

Not only is Saudi just 1 of 4 teams to have all home born players, Saudi is also 1 of just 2 teams (Qatar is the other) to have every player on the roster play in their own domestic league.

Here is a a list of the 137 players who were not born in the country they will be representing in the 2022 WC
==============

28 teams - I think the other four are Brazil, Argentina, Saudi Arabia and South Korea

Not only is Saudi just 1 of 4 teams to have all home born players, Saudi is also 1 of just 2 teams (Qatar is the other) to have every player on the roster play in their own domestic league.
#cohesion

Sounds like Mane may be out of at least a couple of group stage games

===============

ESPN FC

@ESPNFC

Official
Sadio Mane will miss his team's "first games" at the World Cup because of a leg injury, according to a Senegal football federation board member

==============

Don't Saudi's get beheaded if they even think about leaving for another league.

==============

Interesting to look at this.

What's the story with Wales and so many English born? Are they just not good enough for England?

I didn't know Raheem Sterling is from Jamaica. (I think that's the Jamaica flag.)

Yes Sterling is Jamaican born. Lived there until he was 5 and then he and his mom moved to London ( his dad I think was murdered in Jamaica)

Sent my son off to school today with a note - needs to be excused at noon on Monday. He asks me if he should say its for a doctors appointment and I told him - don't lie, tell them you're going to watch the World Cup with dad.
Our kids school district is closed all Thanksgiving week. My soccer playing sons are loving that - they will be watching all kinds of games. I'll be watching in my office Monday - but luckily will be with family on Friday for the England game.

Should be great.

Users who are viewing this thread