What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2022 World Cup Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Grats to any Oz posters here but as soon as we flipped over from our U21 game right as pens started and we saw they made a keeper sub with the sole plan of putting Peru off, I was wanting them to lose. No justice in this game
I have no issues with a keeper sub.  But his theatrics were embarrassing and IMO, shouldn’t be allowed.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Semi-automated Offsides VAR tech likely to be used in the WC (and by other leagues like the EPL if successful)

sounds like this is similar to goal-line tech already in place, and given a successful test run at the Club WC over the winter after extensive testing the last couple years.

The system uses 12 bespoke cameras installed under the stadium roof and not the standard television cameras, as is the case right now. It enables a much more accurate assessment of when a pass has been played, and tracks 29 data points on the players to create an AI model of the offside situation.

The technology will automatically send an alert if there is a player in an offside position, then the VAR must then judge if that player is active and/or having an impact on play and if so send a notification to the assistant referee to raise the flag.

gotta say, I prefer this to having a dude off-site start drawing crap on a screen.

Costa Rica vs New Zealand play-in game for a spot in the WC today- 2:00, Telemundo & Peacock (I didn't see it on FS1 today)

oh BS here... they can't call that one back.
I’d prefer they not go back like that but it was a clear foul and directly lead to the mistake by the CR player.

ETA - to be more clear.  The foul had nothing to do with the mistake - just the cross and attempted clearance doesn’t happen without the foul

Last edited by a moderator:
seems like a younger CR side out here vs WCQ though... that game they played (and won) against the US to wrap up WCQ when nothing was really on the line- seems like they tried a lot of these guys out there.

NZ and the world getting a nice dosing of Concacaf.

I"m sure the Ref will add the appropriate 2 minutes of ET.

barbarous tackle there.
sorry... barbarousse.

but definitely red-worthy. that was ugly.

and I don't think the CR player- as good as they are at the dark arts- is capable of faking his ankle rolling like that after getting the way late studs up treatment

Semi-automated Offsides VAR tech likely to be used in the WC (and by other leagues like the EPL if successful)

sounds like this is similar to goal-line tech already in place, and given a successful test run at the Club WC over the winter after extensive testing the last couple years.

gotta say, I prefer this to having a dude off-site start drawing crap on a screen.
I do not understand why they are trying so hard to take goals off the board because someone's toe or hair is offside.  Most of these calls could never be seen by the linesman and VAR was instituted for the obvious missed calls.  Now computer made calls?

VAR has its place, but they are making a mockery of it in regards to offside.  

I do not understand why they are trying so hard to take goals off the board because someone's toe or hair is offside.  Most of these calls could never be seen by the linesman and VAR was instituted for the obvious missed calls.  Now computer made calls?

VAR has its place, but they are making a mockery of it in regards to offside.  
it's better than some random dude in a VAR room dropping lines like it's the balcony at studio 54

Why would you have the keeper take that?  Granted it’s a horrible angle but you had to score, no need to worry about him getting back.

not that NZ did a whole lot to deserve the win there, and not the ref did a whole lot to deserve scorn... but I've noticed refs from non soccer primary countries (in this case, the UAE), tend to lack the sophistication for these bigger games, and fall for histrionics and punish more direct/hard play.

today was no different... and not saying the red wasn't deserved, or I guess the goal being called back either (although it felt harsh live, tbh). but he seemed to quick to whistle NZ and less so to do CR (who got away with some blatant fouls), and obviously allowing CR to steal minutes throughout, calling a red for a nasty studs up challenge (again, deserved) but not calling it on Contreras with a similar challenge (he did get a yellow) or giving him a yellow earlier for an elbow to the CB's head contesting a header- which wasn't even called a foul.

it's better than some random dude in a VAR room dropping lines like it's the balcony at studio 54
:lmao:

True, but both suck.

Let's get back to the flagging the obvious ones, letting the close ones go and even is on. And lets apply the clear and obvious mantra to it as well.

:lmao:

True, but both suck.

Let's get back to the flagging the obvious ones, letting the close ones go and even is on. And lets apply the clear and obvious mantra to it as well.
lol... so no VAR it is!

(I'm not really against it... but we can't complain when the ref makes a howler mistake)

and I dont' want goal-scoring plays run back to their origin to see if ANYTHING untoward happened along the way. either the ref saw it live, or it has to be let go... this includes offsides or otherwise giving-him-the-business.

lol... so no VAR it is!

(I'm not really against it... but we can't complain when the ref makes a howler mistake)

and I don't' want goal-scoring plays run back to their origin to see if ANYTHING untoward happened along the way. either the ref saw it live, or it has to be let go... this includes offsides or otherwise giving-him-the-business.
lol.  Like I said, VAR has a place, but lets not use it to legislate the game, lets use it as it was designed.  Its an assistant, its not the ref.

And I agree, stop using it to find any reason within a game to chalk off a goal.

Boom.  The lineup for the 2022 World Cup is set!

Group A Qatar, Netherlands, Senegal, Ecuador
Group B England, USA, Wales, Iran
Group C Argentina, Poland, Mexico, Saudi Arabia
Group D France, Denmark, Tunisia, Australia
Group E Germany, Spain, Japan, Costa Rica
Group F Belgium, Croatia, Canada, Morocco
Group G Brazil, Switzerland, Serbia, Cameroon
Group H Portugal, Uruguay, Ghana, Korea Republic

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread