What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2022 World Cup Thread*** (1 Viewer)

El Floppo

Footballguy
Probably going to give it to New York but Seattle should host the finals. Come on committee don’t mess this up.

Seattle is turf but they'd put grass in for this.

no way do they play the WC final on grassed over turf, regardless of how amazing the Sounder's fans have been.

I could see TX (although potential for stinking hot) or Rose Bowl. I'd love for it to be here in NYC though.

NewlyRetired

Footballguy
Are they grass or turf?

Many of the stadiums that put in a bid to host are turf, but all of them included how they will install grass.  We have been installing grass since Detroit way back in 1994 so I assume by 2026, the technology and experience would be dramatically better to not screw this up.

The General

Footballguy
no way do they play the WC final on grassed over turf, regardless of how amazing the Sounder's fans have been.

I could see TX (although potential for stinking hot) or Rose Bowl. I'd love for it to be here in NYC though.
Is NY and Jerryworld grass?

I thought almost all these places are that turf stuff now.

B Maverick

Footballguy
Many of the stadiums that put in a bid to host are turf, but all of them included how they will install grass.  We have been installing grass since Detroit way back in 1994 so I assume by 2026, the technology and experience would be dramatically better to not screw this up.
I would think they could and I remember them doing it in Det.  

The Women's WC in Canada had the players up in arms about playing on turf, claiming the men would never be asked to do so.  I could see FIFA making sure the games are all on grass just to piss them off further.

Poke_4_Life

Footballguy
Most modern arenas have the ability to install grass fields.  The newest ones have the ability to just slide the turf out and the grass in, but I can't figure out if Jerry World can do it that way or will have to lay sod.  Phoenix has this ability for sure. (The new Tottenham stadium does as well, not that it matters for this discussion.)

El Floppo

Footballguy

Is NY and Jerryworld grass?

I thought almost all these places are that turf stuff now.
Andy is the man with all of this stuff- hopefully he's right, and the tech has improved enough to make it happen.

last game I saw at Meadowlands (you're right- it's turf... and turf that NFL players hate and get injured by), the grass overlayed looked and played like grass overlayed. 

that's why the Rose Bowl might make sense.

too bad all of these new beautiful grass soccer specific stadia are too small for things like WC finals. I wonder if they're too small for WC games period?

El Floppo

Footballguy
The Women's WC in Canada had the players up in arms about playing on turf, claiming the men would never be asked to do so.  I could see FIFA making sure the games are all on grass just to piss them off further.
were they playing directly on turf? I don't remember if it was grassed over or not...

The General

Footballguy
Andy is the man with all of this stuff- hopefully he's right, and the tech has improved enough to make it happen.

last game I saw at Meadowlands (you're right- it's turf... and turf that NFL players hate and get injured by), the grass overlayed looked and played like grass overlayed. 

that's why the Rose Bowl might make sense.

too bad all of these new beautiful grass soccer specific stadia are too small for things like WC finals. I wonder if they're too small for WC games period?
Rosebowl would be sweet local it's just a pain to get into.

Seattle in the summer would be epic. City has been into soccer since the 70's. Has a giant stadium we have played soccer in a ton.

Any big city would be fine but NYC and Jerryworld are kinda generic choices IMO.

NewlyRetired

Footballguy

I don't know the exact rules for WC2026 since it will be expanded, but in the past, all group stage and round of 16 games had to be min 40k.  Quarter finals and semi's had to be min 60k.  Opener and final were min 80k.

I am guessing those numbers might change a bit. 

I assume Azteca will host the opener, which would make the most sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

prefontaine

Footballguy
The Rosebowl hosted the final in 1994. I think it went pretty well for everyone other than Diana Ross and Roberto Baggio, but they've had their shot.
LA actually has two bids in - the Rose Bowl and SoFi. I'd think SoFi is going to be selected which means no games will be at the Rose Bowl, much less the final. I think they may be the only city with 2 bids. 

And AFAIK, no MLS soccer specific stadiums have put in bids. Not sure if they are all too small or not, but don't think they selected the US for our small intimate venues. I think they are going to lean heavily to capacity and rape the fans to the fullest extent. Merica! 

NewlyRetired

Footballguy
And AFAIK, no MLS soccer specific stadiums have put in bids. 

I think there was a single one if memory serves.  BMO Field in Toronto.

They are currently at 30k but are willing to expand to 45k if chosen.  This will be a temporary expansion from my understanding. 

I believe 45k is the minimum this time around from various articles I have read.

G

Mine is chelsea will be the threat for the wordcup 2022.Because chelsea is very good team and also have good defence too.

B Maverick

Footballguy
CletiusMaximus said:
The Rosebowl hosted the final in 1994. I think it went pretty well for everyone other than Diana Ross and Roberto Baggio, but they've had their shot.
The 5 games I went to went fairy well overall.  Escobar may disagree....

prefontaine said:
LA actually has two bids in - the Rose Bowl and SoFi. I'd think SoFi is going to be selected which means no games will be at the Rose Bowl, much less the final. I think they may be the only city with 2 bids. 
Either one would be great, just hoping to afford the price of any game in LA, let alone the finale.

AAABatteries

Footballguy

NewlyRetired

Footballguy
Pulisic, Chucky and Osario are scheduled to be part of the WC stadium reveal today.  Becky G will also perform just to help emphasize Lletget missing out on the WC...

Dinsy Ejotuz

Footballguy
I'll bet that the final is a) on a natural grass field and b) someplace that the summer heat isn't at  Doha or Rose Bowl 1994 levels.  IIRC the heat was widely blamed for a completely forgettable game at the time.

I'll bet that the final is a) on a natural grass field and b) someplace that the summer heat isn't at  Doha or Rose Bowl 1994 levels.  IIRC the heat was widely blamed for a completely forgettable game at the time.
The chatter is that MetLife is likely getting the final, but I’d think it would be one of the retractable roof spots for that very reason. Sofi would have been a slam dunk imo if the field was wide enough. 

SoBeDad

Footballguy
Miami's Hard Rock stadium should make the cut. The stadium is already grass with a great drainage system. MIA has the most international traffic of any airport, plus there's FLL and WPB nearby. Plenty of hotel rooms and practice sites. Fans are protected from the elements, and Miami is not as hot as Orlando.

TwinTurbo

Footballguy
Updated odds of qualifying thru Group B:

• England - 87%
  • Wales - 46%
  • USA - 43%
  • Iran - 24%
This seems about right. The US has a tougher road here than it may appear. I don't think they match up particularly well with Wales. And they are 0-1-1 all time against Iran. They really need a result against England or I think they may finish 3rd or 4th in the group. 

Dinsy Ejotuz

Footballguy
Yet the D.C./Baltimore bid has never been a straightforward one. The two cities started out bidding independently, with D.C.’s effort centered around suburban FedEx Field, the home of the NFL’s Washington Commanders. The venue is bleak, charmless, difficult to get to and roundly despised by locals. Commanders owner Daniel Snyder’s relationship with the entire D.C., Maryland and Virginia region is tenuous at best, and the stadium itself — which is nearing the end of its usable lifespan, realistically — would’ve needed extensive renovations to meet FIFA’s stadium standards. 

Baltimore had their stadium situation sorted out. The city offered up M&T Bank Stadium, home of the NFL’s Ravens, as a viable option. The 70,000-seat venue was built for American football, but the architects who designed the place also kept soccer in mind. It’s hosted multiple CONCACAF Gold Cups and a number of international friendlies. What Baltimore lacked, maybe, was a bit of curb appeal, 

Lehigh98

Footballguy
Is there any info on how many games the host cities will get in general?  I would like to get to at least one in Philly not sure if I'm rooting for bad teams so it's more affordable just to see some games or good teams for a better experience.

In 2026 my older son will just have finished up Soph year in college and younger so will just have graduated HS, may start saving up and see if the fam would be up for taking a World Cup week off to travel to some games but no idea what these tickets are going to cost.

Dr_Zaius

Footballguy
Updated odds of qualifying thru Group B:

• England - 87%
  • Wales - 46%
  • USA - 43%
  • Iran - 24%
Curious if the England drop was in response to their recent woes, but mid-80's seems more ballpark right than the 90%+ that they opened at.

I'm really hoping the US doesn't need 3 points against Iran on the last day.

Dinsy Ejotuz

Footballguy
I'd break my fingers off hitting "accept" so hard if you offered me a deal that all they had to do was win against Iran to advance.

Would mean they'd already done something against Wales and England -- either two draws or a win -- which seems like the harder part.

El Floppo

Footballguy
I'd break my fingers off hitting "accept" so hard if you offered me a deal that all they had to do was win against Iran to advance.

Would mean they'd already done something against Wales and England -- either two draws or a win -- which seems like the harder part.
had the exact same thought.

I mean- yeah- would be amazing if they had the points needed from those first two games to not have to sweat game 3. but that's the least likely scenario.

and honestly, more than ever before, the MF and attacking talent on this US team is actually capable of breaking down either Wales or England and getting a result... I have no doubts about that. But we've also seen them consistently flub their final ball and get nothing to even set up their chances, let alone take them... so it's also likely they put up bagels and are relying on a stingy, but unproven (vs top competition) defense and GK. the joys of having the youngest WC roster. 

PlayaHata

Footballguy
I haven't been following the WC city selection closely, but the Midwest and especially the upper Midwest looks to have gotten completely shafted in terms of host cities.  Every single US site is on the east or west coast or way down south with the lone exception being KC and even that one is 500 miles away from me.  

B Maverick

Footballguy
Is there any info on how many games the host cities will get in general?  I would like to get to at least one in Philly not sure if I'm rooting for bad teams so it's more affordable just to see some games or good teams for a better experience.

In 2026 my older son will just have finished up Soph year in college and younger so will just have graduated HS, may start saving up and see if the fam would be up for taking a World Cup week off to travel to some games but no idea what these tickets are going to cost.
Only thing I heard was Mex and Canada each get 10 games. The remaining 60(?) I would imagine being evenly spread across the host cities.

El Floppo

Footballguy
I haven't been following the WC city selection closely, but the Midwest and especially the upper Midwest looks to have gotten completely shafted in terms of host cities.  Every single US site is on the east or west coast or way down south with the lone exception being KC and even that one is 500 miles away from me.  
could be they're relying on Canada selections to cover that region? 

caveat: I haven't looked at any of the city selections.

PlayaHata

Footballguy

Toronto is also 500+ miles from me, but it is another option to consider.  At least I can take a non-stop flight there.  

Dinsy Ejotuz

Footballguy

Vancouver and Torono in Canada.  None of the interior cities (which are a 1000 miles away anyhow) got selected.

Even though my region is THE big loser, I think FIFA actually got the selection about right.

B Maverick

Footballguy
Heck, I'm 30 miles from SoFi and we were joking that heading down to Mexico may be easier than trying to get to LA. 

Actually if I could work it out, a trip up to Seattle/Vancouver to see games would be a worth looking into and a nice getaway.

Jobber

Footballguy
I’ll see if I can get tickets to a Vancouver game. Been wanting to visit there again. 

I will say that selecting sites without grass fields is a travesty. I’ve watched games before where they carted in the grass and it’s not the same. 

NewlyRetired

Footballguy
I'm sure I will forget this once the ball is kicked, but 2022 really is just a bit too early for this group.  2026 is the sweet spot (and then hopefully by 2030 we just have a full on stream of good players entering the USMNT every year).

if we played this summer, I would have given us next to no chance to advance out of the group but the winter WC works better for us than probably any other team in the world, due to the extreme youth of the team.   That extra 6 months is going to be huge for so many of our players (if things work out).  That extra 6 months also works against players like Bale who will be 6 months further past his prime than he should have been.

I am cautiously optimistic that we can get out of the group this winter if we can shake the injuries.  We hold one wild card that no one else has.  If Gio not only returns to health, but ascends the throne that he appeared to be heading towards before the disaster of the injury, this team could be a nightmare to face.

Users who are viewing this thread