What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2022 World Cup Thread*** (2 Viewers)

Might as well fire it up now.

I posted this in the USMNT thread, but FIFA is ordering Egypt and Senegal to replay their match to see who gets into the tournament.
Whoa.  Love it -- that was some bull####.  Can't believe FIFA got one right.

ETA:  they don't even mention the lasers during PKs?

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the nickname for the Ghanian national team?

That's right... Black Stars.

Which is what I'm putting on this thread right now. 

Yea I was just about to ask how reputable that is. I can’t find it anywhere else, grant wahl hasn’t mentioned it etc. 
Look...that bastion of journalistic integrity, The Mirror, has said Egypt might ask for a rematch (2 days ago, like the "story" from the EastAfrican)...so I'm sure Gian is on to something here.

Will it be Ukraine, Scotland or Wales to fill out the US group?

I think we all assume Wales... who the US played a couple years ago to a 0-0 draw. Iirc it was Musahs first game, and an early Dest game as well. With Brooks and Miazga paired as the CBs.

I think it was a mostly B team from Wales missing their stars.

Iirc, this was the game where I saw the beginning of something exciting for the US with that MMA mf and Dest and Reyna and Konrad (no CP) all combining and moving the ball around, at least in moments, in ways I'd never seen from any US team before.

We'll hopefully see some of that promise come to fruition in November.

Listen to Hayya Hayya, the first single released from the FIFA World Cup 2022™ Official Soundtrack, featuring vocalists Trinidad Cardona, Davido and Aisha.

https://youtu.be/vyDjFVZgJoo

The only World Cup song I remember is Waka Waka, whose commercial success will be difficult to top. It led to Shakira meeting Gerard Piqué and then marriage and 2 children. Soccer star meets World Cup singer will be impossible to top.

That transfer value chart is pretty cool:

500MM+

• England 1000
  • France 971
  • Brazil 864
  • Spain 784
  • Portugal 748
  • Germany 741
  • Netherlands 590
  • Argentina 586
200-400MM (huge gap between #7 ARG and #8 URU)

• Uruguay 385
  • Belgium 347
  • Serbia 337
  • Senegal 332
  • Croatia 321
  • Denmark 318
  • Poland 279
  • Switzerland 230
  • Morocco 218
  • Mexico 211
  • United States 205
< 135MM

• South Korea 134
  • Cameroon 127
  • Ghana 113
  • Canada 110
  • Ecuador 91
  • Iran 78
  • Japan 77
  • Tunisia 62
  • Saudi Arabia 29

That transfer value chart is pretty cool:

500MM+

• France 971
  • Brazil 864
  • Spain 784
  • Portugal 748
  • Germany 741
  • Netherlands 590
  • Argentina 586
200-400MM (huge gap between #7 ARG and #8 URU)

• Uruguay 385
  • Belgium 347
  • Serbia 337
  • Senegal 332
  • Croatia 321
  • Denmark 318
  • Poland 279
  • Switzerland 230
  • Morocco 218
  • Mexico 211
  • United States 205
< 135MM

• South Korea 134
  • Cameroon 127
  • Ghana 113
  • Canada 110
  • Ecuador 91
  • Iran 78
  • Japan 77
  • Tunisia 62
  • Saudi Arabia 29
Also, England at €1bln

Serious question, if one was angling for USA tickets next WC, what can one do now?  Fan club membership to get first crack at tickets or anything similar?

As far as I'm concerned the biggest can't miss events in the US over the next few years are the solar eclipse in 2024 and this next WC.

Serious question, if one was angling for USA tickets next WC, what can one do now?  Fan club membership to get first crack at tickets or anything similar?

If you mean in 2026, there is nothing that has been mentioned yet. Typically these are pure lottery driven.  I expect ticket prices to beyond insane.

Start saving now.  I bet US games run at least $1k each, maybe $2k.  My wife and I have already talked about this and I'll be flying solo if any of us go.

I am far from poor.  I am an ENORMOUS fan and I can't fathom paying these prices.....thankfully I have seen the US play live in a WC but it would be amazing to see again....

I was trying to figure out why the US was lower than Mexico but I forgot about the injuries.  Dest, Aaronson, McKennie, and Turner may add more than 80m between them.

Oh I forgot about Richards too.  He must be around 8-10m by now.

Start saving now.  I bet US games run at least $1k each, maybe $2k.  My wife and I have already talked about this and I'll be flying solo if any of us go.
What about non-US team games? Like Egypt vs Spain or whatever. Just for the WC experience.

What about non-US team games? Like Egypt vs Spain or whatever. Just for the WC experience.
I was in DC, one of the host cities, in 1994 and I know the games sold out here.  And generally I think the WC was considered a massive financial success because the games were mostly sold out even with the monster-sized stadiums. 

Soccer's waaaay more popular now than it was then too, so I'd expect prices to be steep in general.

ETA:  Brazil/Netherlands at this tournament, then an Atletico/Ajax champion's league quarter final in 1995, and going to a DCU/Tampa game during the remnants of a hurricane in the inaugural season of MLS in 1996 are the three things I cite for getting me into soccer.  I STILL kick myself for not going to Belgium v Saudi Arabia when I had the chance.

I was in DC, one of the host cities, in 1994 and I know the games sold out here.  And generally I think the WC was considered a massive financial success because the games were mostly sold out even with the monster-sized stadiums. 

Soccer's waaaay more popular now than it was then too, so I'd expect prices to be steep in general.

I was at that Final in the Rose Bowl.  And in the end zone where the penalty kicks took place.  One of the most memorable sporting events I've ever seen.

Some girls I went to high school with worked for a booking agency for like two years leading up to it; that's how we landed those tickets.

In 1994, even the lowest of low profile games like Saudi Arabia vs Morocco sold out in a massive stadium.  Like Dinsy stated, I think all games are going to gouged in prices.

When you factor in foreign fans traveling, the massive growth in soccer fans in the US since 1994 and the massive growth in the latino population here, it is the near perfect formula for the organizers to be overly greedy.

In 1994, even the lowest of low profile games like Saudi Arabia vs Morocco sold out in a massive stadium.  Like Dinsy stated, I think all games are going to gouged in prices.

When you factor in foreign fans traveling, the massive growth in soccer fans in the US since 1994 and the massive growth in the latino population here, it is the near perfect formula for the organizers to be overly greedy.
fwiw... MLS, but related to US soccer and prices

We are renting an rv and making a summer road trip out of it. Kid will be 8 and a perfect way for him to see the US. 

So what are the dates of these Euro play-in matches? And who should we be rooting for the most to win?

I think one other factor is the death of paper tickets as everything has moved online.  I walked up to Soldier Field in '94 and bought tickets for Germany-Spain for me and my girlfriend shortly before kickoff. I don't know what I paid, but I was dirt poor at the time so it had to be a good price.  That doesn't exist anymore. All these secondary market transactions - including payment and ticket transfer - are now 100% online.  I think that favors the sellers because buyers can't walk around outside the venue and play them off each other.

fwiw... MLS, but related to US soccer and prices
Ok, that's insane.  And it's also insane that anyone would pay those prices.  I mean maybe if you were in a wheelchair or something?

In the evenings you can park around the Mall or L'Enfant and take the Metro two or three stops for like $10 a couple.  It's a slight hassle, but it's way better than gameday traffic around the stadium before you even get to the savings.  I did it for five years for DCU games -- driving in from VA and parking around Eastern Market to avoid RFK traffic.  $70 is lazy and crazy IMO.

So what are the dates of these Euro play-in matches? And who should we be rooting for the most to win?

Mid June, but one of the games involves Ukraine and all that comes with that.   Wales might be the best team but there is no big gap between any of these teams and the US.  England will consider this playoff team (whom ever comes out) harder than the US game fwiw

I attended that game in '94!  I went simply because we had tickets.  Meadowlands.  It was fun.  The best joke I heard was that no cabs were running in NYC that day.

I also attended the Spain v Switzerland 2nd round game at RFK.  I had to pay $125 each for four good tickets (40 yard line, 20 rows up).  At the time that felt like a lot.  That was a fantastic experience.  Saw some old Swiss fan weeping on the DC metro after the game.  Spain hammered them.

If you mean in 2026, there is nothing that has been mentioned yet. Typically these are pure lottery driven.  I expect ticket prices to beyond insane.
Yeah - I know in some sports some fan clubs get dibs or a pool, etc.  I guess the WC is different.  I'll be on the lookout, though the 1k/ticket prediction is general insanity.

Yeah - I know in some sports some fan clubs get dibs or a pool, etc.  I guess the WC is different.  I'll be on the lookout, though the 1k/ticket prediction is general insanity.
There used to be some allocations for national teams supporters that the federation could distribute themselves.  Not sure if that stopped and it's all centralized now or not.  My Cameroonian colleague is interested in traveling to Qatar and is just now getting up on the ticket stuff.  He had to forfeit his Cameroonian citizenship when he got American citizenship.  He said it's because Cameroon wants to collect the visa fees for the diaspora to come back to visit Cameroon.  Dumb.

Yeah.

As with everything else the organizers of such things will look to milk every last dime out of their consumer. I know I'm getting old but man I'm tired of this kind of thing. We are creating a society where only the wealthy can afford ANYTHING.

Makes me sad. 

Users who are viewing this thread