What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2022 World Cup Thread*** (1 Viewer)

I will say that selecting sites without grass fields is a travesty. I’ve watched games before where they carted in the grass and it’s not the same. 

One thing to keep in mind is that when they cart in grass for a friendly, they spend as little money as possible.   

This is going to be in a whole different level of financial investment and technology come 2026.    Considering we pulled this off with out a hitch all the way back in 1994, I am very confident it will go smoothly in 2026.

I mentioned the Puto bird thing in the US thread just now, got me thinking...

will FIFA come up with something to prevent or punish them singing during the WC? I mean, the Mexican women's team can take only so much punishment.

and for sure during El Tri games... but what about if they decide to mar other games? 

NewlyRetired said:
One thing to keep in mind is that when they cart in grass for a friendly, they spend as little money as possible.   

This is going to be in a whole different level of financial investment and technology come 2026.    Considering we pulled this off with out a hitch all the way back in 1994, I am very confident it will go smoothly in 2026.
Agreed.  All of the non-grass stadiums are American football stadiums.  They won't have a game after January 2026 at the latest.  That means they'll have 5-6 months to get the grass field in, growing, and prepped into prime condition with what I'm sure is some of the world's best agronomists involved in each project.

Dinsy Ejotuz said:
I'd break my fingers off hitting "accept" so hard if you offered me a deal that all they had to do was win against Iran to advance.

Would mean they'd already done something against Wales and England -- either two draws or a win -- which seems like the harder part.
I don't think I would.  Maybe I'm a hopeless optimist (or pessimist depending on how you look at it)...

El Floppo said:
had the exact same thought.

I mean- yeah- would be amazing if they had the points needed from those first two games to not have to sweat game 3. but that's the least likely scenario.
Certainly not needing anything from game 3 is extremely unlikely.  But, a US win against Wales and an Iran-Wales draw would almost assuredly mean the US only needs a draw against Iran.

I could be thinking about it all wrong or with rose-colored glasses, but I view this team as young and talented, and usually in sports that means high variance.  Add in that out of the three other teams in the group, Iran is the most likely to focus on not conceding, a setup that the US repeatedly looked lost against in qualifying (vs. the way they looked against Canada and Mexico where the games were more free-flowing), and to me it seems like the combined chances of the US getting a win against either Wales or England are not much worse than getting a win against Iran.  It will be extremely squeaky bum time for me if the US has a must win game against Iran.  Which, again, maybe you're right is the best we can hope for, but I'm hoping we catch lightning in a bottle in one of the first two games and we get the squad we've seen in fits and starts.

Speaking of World Cups, I'm pretty excited about 2026 and games in Atlanta (close to me).  What is the best way to angle for tickets?  Clubs that have an inside line?  I'm willing to prep for this with a few years to go.

For those thinking of going to Qatar - looks to be a fairly suppressed gathering.  No flings, no public alcohol, no fun.

I mean, that's all obviously ridiculous. It sucks for sure. The tournament shouldn't be there and everyone knows it.

But if those things are things you are interested in (and if I was young and attending an event like this, I'd be looking to do the same) ....you'd be absolutely stupid to go.   If your goal is to get hammered and hook up, just go to Coachella or something.  And if you're truly there solely for the Soccer....just wait 4 years and come here.

Its like these people that get arrested visiting North Korea. Yes....the regime is disgusting.  We shouldn't bow to their wishes or support their actions. But if you dont want to risk being stuck in a 3rd world prison....dont enter the country.

You just know a bunch of dumb kids who thought the oppressive conservative Islamic regime was just kidding are gonna end up in jail. Its gonna be rough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only thing I heard was Mex and Canada each get 10 games. The remaining 60(?) I would imagine being evenly spread across the host cities.

Isn't is 64 games total?  8 groups x 6 games each group.  48  plus 16 team tournament (15 games + 3rd place match).  If so, and MEX and CAN each get 10 then that would leave 44 for the US.  10 locations would, I guess be 4 games on average plus the semis, final and 3rd place.  That's is it's even distribution - so, I would guess a site should get a minimum 2 games, probably 3 and some will get 4.

ETA - I guess all could get 4 but assumed some maybe get 5??

This seems about right. The US has a tougher road here than it may appear. I don't think they match up particularly well with Wales. And they are 0-1-1 all time against Iran. They really need a result against England or I think they may finish 3rd or 4th in the group. 

Why do you think we don't matchup well with Wales?  I'm not disputing it, just curious your thoughts.  They don't have a ton of team speed which I think a Zimmerman-Long combo would be susceptible to.  They aren't a huge possession team so we should see plenty of the ball.  And they aren't particularly deep, so it's not like playing a England, France or Germany who are bringing in World Class guys off the bench.

They frighten me for a few reasons though:

• Experienced and they won't be scared of the US after playing in UEFA
  • Bale's world class abilities could pop up at any time and he seems to always play well for country
  • Having to play them first I think is to our detriment - our guys are young, we will have so little WC experience in our side and while they have nobody with WC experience they get to play in UEFA vs. CONCACAF and I think that makes a difference
  • Set pieces - we aren't great at it and they seem pretty good.  If they score on us I would expect it to be from a set piece
I wish the order of games we played was Iran, Wales, England.  I think that order would give us our best chance of advancing as it gets the first game nerves over against an inferior opponent.  One that we probably need to beat anyway to advance.  If England beats Wales as most would expect then they would be a little desperate against us.  And maybe most important, England could qualify top with 2 wins and then maybe rest some guys.  As is it, Wales gets to play England 3rd and I think that's a benefit.  Granted, that's because I think England is a heavy favorite in the group (more on that in my next post).

Isn't is 64 games total?  8 groups x 6 games each group.  48  plus 16 team tournament (15 games + 3rd place match).  If so, and MEX and CAN each get 10 then that would leave 44 for the US.  10 locations would, I guess be 4 games on average plus the semis, final and 3rd place.  That's is it's even distribution - so, I would guess a site should get a minimum 2 games, probably 3 and some will get 4.

ETA - I guess all could get 4 but assumed some maybe get 5??
Is that the current format or the extended format with more teams coming in 2026?

I could have misheard the total...

Went to the Atlanta United match yesterday and me and my buddy were discussing the group - he likes our chances and almost thinks we should win the group.  I told him, I think we got a decent draw but the idea that we would be favorites over England is absurd.  He agrees with many in the FFA and says England is overrate, their players are overrated, etc.  I pointed out they were 4th at the last WC and runner's up in the Euro's with basically the same side.  My opinion is we are heavy underdogs to them but I admit I'm a tad biased for the English as I have some English roots and they are my 2nd favorite national side.

Anyway, that's not entirely the point of my post.  We then started talking about a combined XI between the two sides and that was part of my argument as to why we are heavy underdogs.  I think we only have 1-2 guys that are even a consideration for a combined XI (CP and Snacks).  In fact, off the cuff I said I could see me picking the entire England XI over any of our guys.  I think the debate comes down to:

CP or Steling/Foden

Snacks or Grealish

three others I considered

Adams or Rice/Phillips

Jedi or Chilwell

Zimmerman or Maguire (I would have considered this fairly absurd 1-2 years ago but these two guys have gone in exact opposite directions since then)

I think my XI would be

Kane

CP                                       Sterling

Mount           Grealish

Rice

Chilwell   Zimmerman  Stones  Walker/TAA/James

Pickford

Thoughts:

• Can't leave CP out but with Snacks recovering I couldn't put him above those guys
  • As much as I like Adams I think you have to take Rice (or even Phillips)
  • I really wanted to pick Jedi but he's a little inconsistent and gets out of position at times, also not a strong crosser.  Chilwell is super solid and consistent
  • I took Zimmerman just as a big FU to Maguire  - @B Maverick > hey
  • Damn is England deep at RB
  • In most other WCs I would take the US keeper over Pickford but nobody has stepped up. 

Went to the Atlanta United match yesterday and me and my buddy were discussing the group - he likes our chances and almost thinks we should win the group.  I told him, I think we got a decent draw but the idea that we would be favorites over England is absurd.  He agrees with many in the FFA and says England is overrate, their players are overrated, etc.  I pointed out they were 4th at the last WC and runner's up in the Euro's with basically the same side.  My opinion is we are heavy underdogs to them but I admit I'm a tad biased for the English as I have some English roots and they are my 2nd favorite national side.

Anyway, that's not entirely the point of my post.  We then started talking about a combined XI between the two sides and that was part of my argument as to why we are heavy underdogs.  I think we only have 1-2 guys that are even a consideration for a combined XI (CP and Snacks).  In fact, off the cuff I said I could see me picking the entire England XI over any of our guys.  I think the debate comes down to:

CP or Steling/Foden

Snacks or Grealish

three others I considered

Adams or Rice/Phillips

Jedi or Chilwell

Zimmerman or Maguire (I would have considered this fairly absurd 1-2 years ago but these two guys have gone in exact opposite directions since then)

I think my XI would be

Kane

CP                                       Sterling

Mount           Bellingham

Rice

Chilwell   Zimmerman  Stones  Walker/TAA/James

Pickford

Thoughts:

• Can't leave CP out but with Snacks recovering I couldn't put him above those guys
  • As much as I like Adams I think you have to take Rice (or even Phillips)
  • I really wanted to pick Jedi but he's a little inconsistent and gets out of position at times, also not a strong crosser.  Chilwell is super solid and consistent
  • I took Zimmerman just as a big FU to Maguire  - @B Maverick > hey
  • Damn is England deep at RB
  • In most other WCs I would take the US keeper over Pickford but nobody has stepped up. 
If you wanted to give a big FU to maguire you would have put Brooks in there.  I would take Zimm over Maguire right now at United!

The CP debate would be an interesting one though.

I would also take Foden > Graelish> Sterling and McKinnie > Mount (the next Lingard). But overall, hard to argue with this lineup.

If you wanted to give a big FU to maguire you would have put Brooks in there.  I would take Zimm over Maguire right now at United!

The CP debate would be an interesting one though.

I would also take Foden > Graelish> Sterling and McKinnie > Mount (the next Lingard). But overall, hard to argue with this lineup.

Yeah, I almost put it as Sterling/Foden but I'm higher on Sterling than most around here.  He hasn't reached the levels he probably should but his speed is a difference maker.  His production has dropped off a little the last 2 years but it was still well ahead of CP's although a few more games.

Snacks vs. Mount is interesting when healthy - with Snacks recovering I took Mount but it's not crazy to prefer Weston there.  And I just realized I left Grealish off the XI (doh!) - I'd swap him and Bellingham.

Why do you think we don't matchup well with Wales?  I'm not disputing it, just curious your thoughts.  They don't have a ton of team speed which I think a Zimmerman-Long combo would be susceptible to.  They aren't a huge possession team so we should see plenty of the ball.  And they aren't particularly deep, so it's not like playing a England, France or Germany who are bringing in World Class guys off the bench.

• Experienced and they won't be scared of the US after playing in UEFA
  • Bale's world class abilities could pop up at any time and he seems to always play well for country
  • Having to play them first I think is to our detriment - our guys are young, we will have so little WC experience in our side and while they have nobody with WC experience they get to play in UEFA vs. CONCACAF and I think that makes a difference
  • Set pieces - we aren't great at it and they seem pretty good.  If they score on us I would expect it to be from a set piece
I wish the order of games we played was Iran, Wales, England.  I think that order would give us our best chance of advancing as it gets the first game nerves over against an inferior opponent.  One that we probably need to beat anyway to advance.  If England beats Wales as most would expect then they would be a little desperate against us.  And maybe most important, England could qualify top with 2 wins and then maybe rest some guys.  As is it, Wales gets to play England 3rd and I think that's a benefit.  Granted, that's because I think England is a heavy favorite in the group (more on that in my next post).

Like you said they are not a huge possession team and will probably be happy to concede the ball, then hope to win 1v1 with Bale or James on the counter. They don't have a ton of team speed, but James has elite speed and Bale is still world class as well. James might be the fastest player in the entire group. And lastly to your point, Wales is very good on set pieces. It's almost a certainty they will earn a few fouls in dangerous spots. I could see this game going 2-1 Wales with a goal on the counter from James and a set piece. 

Yeah, I almost put it as Sterling/Foden but I'm higher on Sterling than most around here.  He hasn't reached the levels he probably should but his speed is a difference maker.  His production has dropped off a little the last 2 years but it was still well ahead of CP's although a few more games.

Snacks vs. Mount is interesting when healthy - with Snacks recovering I took Mount but it's not crazy to prefer Weston there.  And I just realized I left Grealish off the XI (doh!) - I'd swap him and Bellingham.
Problem with swapping Graelish and Bellingham is that Graelish typically plays in that wing spot occupied by CP in your lineup, and Sterling in the England/City teams.  Would be an interesting debate between CP, JG and PF.

The more I watch the more I think McKinnie is the USMNT's best player and Adams is their most important player.  I would be hard pressed to leave WM out, esp for a player like Mount who I believe is overrated.

CP, Snacks and (hot taek) maybe Antonee would be the only players I'd consider for a start in the England squad.  Maybe those three are a wash so it's like 9.5 to 1.5?

I mean, that's all obviously ridiculous. It sucks for sure. The tournament shouldn't be there and everyone knows it.

But if those things are things you are interested in (and if I was young and attending an event like this, I'd be looking to do the same) ....you'd be absolutely stupid to go.   If your goal is to get hammered and hook up, just go to Coachella or something.  And if you're truly there solely for the Soccer....just wait 4 years and come here.

Its like these people that get arrested visiting North Korea. Yes....the regime is disgusting.  We shouldn't bow to their wishes or support their actions. But if you dont want to risk being stuck in a 3rd world prison....dont enter the country.

You just know a bunch of dumb kids who thought the oppressive conservative Islamic regime was just kidding are gonna end up in jail. Its gonna be rough.
I'll be honest here, but given how many flights to Ibiza from England are diverted due to drunk idiots I expect a lot of Brits to enjoy Qatari cells in six months.  

Bale.  ####### Bale.  That's really all I worry about with Wales.  Open play or on a set piece.  The guy is deadly.

Bale.  ####### Bale.  That's really all I worry about with Wales.  Open play or on a set piece.  The guy is deadly.
for sure. Ramsey still has quality too. and they have some younger players who look quite good.

along with those guys who can hurt anybody, it's mostly their experience playing at a higher level that concerns me. I pointed out earlier, while the US is playing Granada and El Salvador, Wales has been playing Netherlands and Belgium.

Not huge news, since he's stepped back while this has all been happening, leaving Page to run things.

Ryan Giggs has announced he will stand down as coach of the Wales national team, following their qualification for the Qatar 2022 World Cup in his absence as he awaits trial for domestic violence related charges.

The former Manchester United midfielder took over the Dragons in 2018, but has been on leave since November 2020, with a trial dated for August this year. He has pleaded not guilty to claims of controlling and coercive behaviour against his ex-girlfriend, as well as assault and causing actual bodily harm.

Interim boss Rob Page has guided Wales to their first World Cup appearance since 1958 - and Giggs has now made the decision to cede responsibility ahead of the global tournament.

Anyway, that's not entirely the point of my post.  We then started talking about a combined XI between the two sides and that was part of my argument as to why we are heavy underdogs.  I think we only have 1-2 guys that are even a consideration for a combined XI (CP and Snacks).  In fact, off the cuff I said I could see me picking the entire England XI over any of our guys.

I'd need to watch the US team more to get a better understanding of where the strengths are, but I tend to agree just reading through the latest squads. Pulisic could maybe push to start off Kane at 10, but you would think that Southgate, if not sacked by then, will have worked out that's a really good place to put Foden. Our weaknesses are at left back, centre back and keeper, you have a better idea than I do.

If the question was Canada, then I instantly pick Davies over whoever we could roll out at left back

Just started my 2026 USA World Cup Fund.  Opened one of those separate "vacation" accounts with my bank and $20 will get thrown in there each week.  I'm also going to take any of the money I make reffing soccer tourneys with my kids and putting it directly in there as well.  My sons will have just finished up soph year of college and senior year of HS so I'm hoping we can all take some time off to hit some games as a family either local or travelling a bit.

Got lucky with Kansas City getting awarded some games. We will save a ton of money on travel - though I expect the tickets to be pretty pricey.

For those of you looking to travel for games, Kansas City is actually not a bad place to be. Our new airport will be open in a year or so. Very driveable city if you rent a car or drive in for the games.

Lots to do during down times. Arrowhead is a great venue for sports with ample parking and tailgating opportunities and the stadium is pretty easy to get into. 

And of course the great BBQ and the people here are extremely friendly. I'll buy anyone a beer if they come into town.  :banned:

Anyone put in any future bets on it? Any good value?  I love watching casually, but now I want some rooting interest that NYS has opened up gambling.

if you post the odds you are seeing, we might be able to take some guesses at good value.

Just typical DK/FD odds - I didn't know if I should be betting winners, group winners, Most Goals etc.  If anyone puts a bet in let me know and I'll see if the odds are similar.

From ESPN

=====

Organisers have sold 1.8 million tickets for the World Cup in Qatar, world football governing body FIFA said on Wednesday ahead of the next round of ticket sales that opens on Tuesday.

There is a special category of tickets available only to residents of the host nation, and fans in the Gulf Arab state have bought the largest number of tickets, FIFA said.

Aside from Qatar, the top countries where fans bought tickets are Canada, England, France, Germany, India, Saudi Arabia, Spain, the United Arab Emirates and the United States, FIFA said in a news release.

A spokesperson said that FIFA expects to offer a total of 3 million match tickets during the 28-day tournament, which kicks off on Nov. 21.

Qualification for the World Cup has now concluded, and all 32 available slots for the tournament have been secured.

The next round of sales will remain open until Aug. 16, and tickets will be confirmed on payment, on a first-come, first-served basis. The most recent phase of ticket sales, a random selection draw, closed at the end of April.

It is never too early to wet your whistle

BEST World Cup Goals in History

In watching these, I was struck by the extreme high percentage of these great goals that are individual (vs team based).  That probably speaks to the extreme level of talent at the WC along with the lack of practice time a team would normally get at the club level.

It is never too early to wet your whistle

BEST World Cup Goals in History

In watching these, I was struck by the extreme high percentage of these great goals that are individual (vs team based).  That probably speaks to the extreme level of talent at the WC along with the lack of practice time a team would normally get at the club level.
I have my #1 in mind without watching.  And it's not Diego's run, which I'm sure is the actual #1 here. 

Pavard (#1) -- Queresma -- Bergkamp were the ones I had in mind.  Apparently I'm a sucker for the inside-out reverse-curl strike.

Aside from Qatar, the top countries where fans bought tickets are Canada, England, France, Germany, India, Saudi Arabia, Spain, the United Arab Emirates and the United States, FIFA said in a news release.

I have never really though about soccer in India.  I know cricket is much more popular but you would think a nation of a billion people could put together a team that could compete in Asia but currently their Elo rating puts them between Fiji and Mayotte. 

B/R Football

@brfootball

Adidas’ 2022 World Cup ball will feature a tracking device used for semi-automated offside technology for the first time. The ball gives VAR precise data ‘to support fast and accurate offside calls’

Users who are viewing this thread