What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2022 World Cup Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Qatar gives into to pressure from Budweiser and will allow beer to be sold in the WC stadiums during games.

This reminds me I need to spend some time on the *** Official WC Drinking Guide *** this weekend - as well as sampling the drinks. 🍺

Looking for some good recommendations to set up a World Cup fantasy league. I expect a basic salary cap league is the best way to do it.

Looking for some good recommendations to set up a World Cup fantasy league. I expect a basic salary cap league is the best way to do it.

if memory serves, FIFA had an excellent one set up back in 2018. I did not play because for some odd reason, I could not pick US players. :wall:

I am sure others will pop up that can be used for 2022. I think Salary cap is the easiest to manage since you don't have to deal with a draft.

When I first read this I thought he was kidding but it is real bill :)

==================

Martin Austermuhle

@maustermuhle

It totally slipped my mind that the World Cup starts in two months. Well, D.C. is preparing: This week the D.C. Council approved an emergency bill allowing liquor stores and breweries to sell booze 24 hours a day. On-site consumption, though, will be limited to 6 a.m. to 4 a.m.

Fox announcers for World Cup 2022​

Play-by-Play/Match Analyst
John Strong and Stu Holden
JP Dellacamera and Cobi Jones
Derek Rae and Aly Wagner
Ian Darke and Landon Donovan
Jacqui Oatley and Warren Barton

Studio Analysts
Alexi Lalas
Carli Lloyd
Chad Johnson
Clint Dempsey
Eniola Aluko
Kelly Smith
Maurice Edu

Studio Hosts
Rob Stone
Kate Abdo

Reporters
Jenny Taft
Rodolfo Landeros
Geoff Shreeves

Feature Correspondent
Tom Rinaldi

Rules Analyst
Dr. Joe Machnik
Mark Clattenburg

I can't see Landon Donovan and Ian Darke working well together, but who knows? I'm a big fan of OchoCinco - but not real confident in his contribution to a world cup studio program. Kate Abdo and Rob Stone will both be good at running the show.

Fox announcers for World Cup 2022​

Play-by-Play/Match Analyst
John Strong and Stu Holden
JP Dellacamera and Cobi Jones
Derek Rae and Aly Wagner
Ian Darke and Landon Donovan
Jacqui Oatley and Warren Barton

Studio Analysts
Alexi Lalas
Carli Lloyd
Chad Johnson
Clint Dempsey
Eniola Aluko
Kelly Smith
Maurice Edu

Studio Hosts
Rob Stone
Kate Abdo

Reporters
Jenny Taft
Rodolfo Landeros
Geoff Shreeves

Feature Correspondent
Tom Rinaldi

Rules Analyst
Dr. Joe Machnik
Mark Clattenburg

I can't see Landon Donovan and Ian Darke working well together, but who knows? I'm a big fan of OchoCinco - but not real confident in his contribution to a world cup studio program. Kate Abdo and Rob Stone will both be good at running the show.

Landon is so dry on the mike. I hope he brings a little energy. Even after all these years, Cobi is still pretty rough on color.

I hope Ocho and Dempsey will have great chemistry. Dempsey is pretty good in studio (entertainment wise).

I am not familiar with Jacqui Oatley.

When I get older I will be stronger They'll call me freedom just like a wavin' flag

FIFA has released all the games from the 2010 WC. If you want to waste some time, there's some absolute bangers in there. (I'm definitely gonna watch US-Algeria again)

thanks for this. I just watched the second half of US Slovenia. This US team was perfectly aged.

DMB, Donovan, Howard, Cherundolo, Dempsey, Gooch, Herc, Buddle, Demerit and Boca were all between 27-31. And then 2 young fantastic players in Bradley and Jozy to support them.

Our 2022 team will be almost the polar opposite of this but come 2026 all our best players will be in the early to middle of their prime.

Are the official World Cup films available anywhere? Amazon had some of them 4 years ago but they seem to have disappeared. FIFA’s website is a nightmare to navigate on mobile.

Are the official World Cup films available anywhere? Amazon had some of them 4 years ago but they seem to have disappeared. FIFA’s website is a nightmare to navigate on mobile.
FIFA has now uploaded every year's matches on their site. I'm assuming it'll be difficult to find a full assortment anywhere else because of that. There are still some full matches on YouTube if you search them though.

When I get older I will be stronger They'll call me freedom just like a wavin' flag

FIFA has released all the games from the 2010 WC. If you want to waste some time, there's some absolute bangers in there. (I'm definitely gonna watch US-Algeria again)
May have to watch some of those Germany matches. 4-0 over Argentina and 4-1 over England. That team was a master at counter attacks.
They've uploaded every year now. There's so many good games to go rewatch. I'm probably gonna watch a lot of old football games in the next month.

FIFA has now uploaded every year's matches on their site. I'm assuming it'll be difficult to find a full assortment anywhere else because of that. There are still some full matches on YouTube if you search them though.
Each tournament FIFA commissions an official documentary, those are the ones I’m after. It can be hit or miss, but some of them are fantastic. The crowd shots are the best, you really get a sense of the time and place

Similarly looks like we've lost James for the WC, fortunately we've still got Trippier and Walker who can play there but that will be a loss

Similarly looks like we've lost James for the WC, fortunately we've still got Trippier and Walker who can play there but that will be a loss
Also TAA. Given form, I hope TAA plays against US.

Also, don't be surprised if Walker plays RCB in a back 3/5, Southgate does that a decent amount.

Also TAA
I said that can play there. I don't want a right winger who can't defend who is playing out of position for his club but gets away with it most of the time because they happen to have one of the best centre backs in the world to cover his mistakes anywhere near the squad.

Frankly I don't want Walker near the squad either, but he's at least semi-functional at either RWB or RCB. Trent is neither

wow, James was playing so well.

This is important for the US as I think James had a good chance to give Pulisic fits but now I think Pulisic may do better.

No Kante is a real bummer. Love that guy. Saw a note today that Pogba is also hurt.

Do they just plug in Camavinga for Kante? Must be nice.....

Here is how I ruin the WC by "Americanizing it"....

=======================

Nationality has increasingly become less and less important as almost every team will roster players who were either not born in the country or almost never stepped foot in it until recently. I would like to add 1 roster spot to formalize this.

The extra roster spot (be it 24 or 27) can only be used for this purpose. A team can choose to not use the extra spot.

Eligibility: Any player in the world, whose country did not qualify for the WC, can be eligible for selection. Once a player decides to make himself eligible, he must represent the country that selects him, even if injured. Selection does not remove the players eligibility for his current country that he plays for and can return to play for them in the following cycle.

Method: Using the most recent FIFA world rankings, a draft is used to select players. The team with the lowest ranking drafts first until all teams have chosen.

Why do this: I like to call it the Haaland effect. Even when the WC expands to 48 teams, there is a very real possibility that one of the greatest goal scorers in our lifetime will never play a world cup game and that bothers me. And it is not just Haaland either. There is a ton of talent out there...Salah, Diaz, Donnarumma, Verratti, Alaba and many others.

Problem to consider: Do we limit any one country from having more than 1 player being drafted or do we let 10 Italians be drafted if teams want them?

Users who are viewing this thread