What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL Alliance of American Football League Thread*** FIRST GAME TONIGHT 8pm CBS (3 Viewers)

Anyone have any idea if fantasy is going to be offered somewhere? Trying to form something with half my home league to kill spring boredom. Can’t wait for Trent Richardson to screw me one last time.
Such a great idea, and got a chuckle out of me re: TRich.

Season starts first week of Feb?

I have been looking for a site, haven't found anything yet.  First game is Saturday after the superbowl (Feb 9)

Timeouts/challenges: 

There are no television timeouts during games and an ongoing effort to have fewer commercials to reduce overall game time to roughly 150 minutes instead of 180 minutes in the NFL. Additionally, replays will be limited to two coach's challenges for either team. 

Kickoffs: There are no kickoffs; instead, teams will start drives from their own 25-yard lines. In lieu of an onside kick, each team will have a "fourth-and-10" from their 35-yard line. If the offense converts for a first down, it keeps the ball. These alterations were designed not only with player safety in mind, but as a reaction to what NFL fans find to be among the least interesting parts of the game. 

Two-point conversions: There will be no extra point attempts after touchdowns, only two-point conversions. 

Contracts

Another distinct difference between the NFL and AAF are the contracts. Every player, from the starting quarterback to a backup safety, is on a non-guaranteed three-year, $250,000 deal. However, players can earn bonuses in a variety of ways, including performances and through fan engagement. Performance-based bonuses are handed out via "coins" to entire sides of the ball, offense and/or defense, instead of individual players. 

Schedule overview

The AAF's 10-week, 40-game regular-season slate will begin Saturday, Feb. 9, at 8 p.m. ET from Spectrum Stadium in Florida, where the Orlando Apollos will host the Atlanta Legends; and from The Alamodome in Texas, where the San Antonio Commanders will host the San Diego Fleet. Each week, there will be two Saturday games and two Sunday games. The Saturday games will kick off at 8 p.m. ET while the Sunday games will typically start at 4 p.m. ET or earlier. 

CBS is scheduled to broadcast the AAF's Opening Day, while CBS Sports Network will then carry one AAF game each week throughout the season. You can also see a week-by-week schedule for individual teams below. 

The Teams

Arizona Hotshots (Schedule)
Stadium: Sun Devil Stadium
General Manager: Phil Savage
Head Coach: Rick Neuheisel 
Players to know: RB Jhurrell Pressley, OT Malcolm Bunche, DB Rahim Moore, LB Obum Gwacham, QB Trevor Knight

Atlanta Legends (Schedule)
Stadium: Georgia State Stadium
General Manager: Bill Devaney
Head Coach: Kevin Coyle
Players to know: QB Aaron Murray, RB Denard Robinson, LB Jeff Luc, DE J.T. Jones

Birmingham Iron (Schedule)
Stadium: Legion Field
General Manager: Joe Pendry
Head Coach: Tim Lewis
Players to know: RB Trent Richardson, TE Weslye Saunders, QB Luis Perez

Memphis Express (Schedule)
Stadium: Liberty Bowl 
General Manager: Will Lewis
Head Coach: Mike Singletary
Players to know: WR Kayaune Ross, LB DeMarquis Gates, CB Justin Martin, DL Anthony Johnson, RB Kenny Hilliard 

Orlando Apollos (Schedule)
Stadium: Spectrum Stadium
General Manager: Tim Ruskell 
Head Coach: Steve Spurrier
Players to know: QB Garrett Gilbert, RB Akeem Hunt, WR Brian Tyms, DL Jerel Worthy, LB Terence Garvin 

Salt Lake Stallions (Schedule)
Stadium: Rice-Eccles Stadium
General Manager: Randy Mueller
Head Coach: Dennis Erickson
Players to know: QB B.J. Daniels, WR Kaelin Clay, WR Kenny Bell

San Antonio Commanders (Schedule)
Stadium: Alamodome
General Manager: Daryl "Moose" Johnston
Head Coach: Mike Riley
Players to know: QB Dustin Vaughan, RB Kenneth Farrow II, WR Mekale McKay, LB Jayrone Elliott, DB Orion Stewart 

San Diego Fleet (Schedule)
Stadium: SDCCU Stadium
General Manager: David Boller
Head Coach: Mike Martz
Players to know: QB Mike Bercovici, WR Kameron Kelly, TE Gavin Escobar, DE Alex Barrett, LB Eric Pinkins 
:headbang:

So many great football players out there that just don't have the NFL measureables but can simply play the game.   Love to see this work but how can they keep a stud player from the NFL?

If you know the CFL then you know of George Reed. How he was able to remain in Canada all those years has always been mystery to me. He was without question an NFL talent.

There are around 70 NAIA/NCAA different levels conferences out there right now.  TONS...of football players.

RB Chris Ivory out of tiny Tiffin,  Tyreek Hill Western Alabama.  Remember Chris Warren, out of Coe, where is that?

Most are familiar with the old USFL but forget about the World Football League.

World Football League

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The World Football League (WFL) was a short-lived American football league that played in 1974 and part of 1975. Although the league's proclaimed ambition was to bring American football onto a worldwide stage, the farthest the WFL reached was placing a team – the Hawaiians – in Honolulu, Hawaii. The league folded midway through its second season, in 1975. A new minor football league began play as the World Football League in 2008 after acquiring the rights to its trademarks and intellectual property.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting.

Kickoffs: There are no kickoffs; instead, teams will start drives from their own 25-yard lines. In lieu of an onside kick, each team will have a "fourth-and-10" from their 35-yard line. If the offense converts for a first down, it keeps the ball. These alterations were designed not only with player safety in mind, but as a reaction to what NFL fans find to be among the least interesting parts of the game.

I do like that this league could be a testing ground for the more radical ideas that the NFL doesn't want to guinea pig on themselves. Try it here. See the results. Discuss how to implement what works in the NFL.

Very disappointed to see their recent affiliation with the NFL. I saw an interview with Hines Ward and the Embersol kid and it was gut wrenching to watch them giggle with $$$$ in their eyes when they announced it. 

Below you can find each week's schedule, including start times and broadcast network. All times are Eastern. 

Week 1

GAMEDATETIMENETWORK

Atlanta at Orlando

Saturday, Feb. 9

8 p.m. 

CBS

San Diego at San Antonio

Saturday, Feb. 9

8 p.m. 

CBS

Memphis at Birmingham

Sunday, Feb. 10

4 p.m.

CBS Sports Network

Salt Lake at Arizona

Sunday, Feb. 10

8 p.m.

NFL Network

Week 2

GAMEDATETIMENETWORK

Salt Lake at Birmingham

Saturday, Feb. 16

2 p.m. 

TNT

Arizona at Memphis

Saturday, Feb. 16

8 p.m. 

NFL Network

Orlando at San Antonio

Sunday, Feb. 17

4 p.m. 

CBS Sports Network

Atlanta at San Diego

Sunday, Feb. 17

8 p.m.

NFL Network

Week 3

GAMEDATETIMENETWORK

Arizona at Salt Lake

Saturday, Feb. 23

3 p.m.

B/R Live

Memphis at Orlando

Saturday, Feb. 23

8 p.m.

NFL Network

Birmingham at Atlanta

Sunday, Feb. 24

4 p.m.

CBS Sports Network

San Antonio at San Diego

Sunday, Feb. 24

8 p.m.

NFL Network

Week 4

GAMEDATETIMENETWORK

Orlando at Salt Lake

Saturday, March 2

4 p.m.

B/R Live

San Diego at Memphis

Saturday, March 2

8 p.m.

NFL Network

San Antonio at Birmingham

Sunday, March 3

4 p.m.

CBS Sports Network

Atlanta at Arizona

Sunday, March 3

8 p.m.

NFL Network

Week 5

GAMEDATETIMENETWORK

Orlando at Birmingham

Saturday, March 9

2 p.m.

B/R Live

Salt Lake at San Diego

Saturday, March 9 

8 p.m.

NFL Network

Memphis at Atlanta

Sunday, March 10

4 p.m.

CBS Sports Network

San Antonio at Arizona

Sunday, March 10

8 p.m.

NFL Network

Week 6

GAMEDATETIMENETWORK

Memphis at Salt Lake

Saturday, March 16

4 p.m.

B/R Live

Arizona at Orlando

Saturday, March 16

8 p.m.

NFL Network

San Antonio at Atlanta

Sunday, March 17

4 p.m.

CBS Sports Network

Birmingham at San Diego

Sunday, March 17

8 p.m.

NFL Network

Week 7

GAMEDATETIMENETWORK

Orlando at Atlanta

Saturday, March 23

3 p.m.

B/R Live

Salt Lake at San Antonio

Saturday, March 23

8 p.m.

NFL Network

San Diego at Arizona

Sunday, March 24

4 p.m.

CBS Sports Network

Birmingham at Memphis

Sunday, March 24

8 p.m.

NFL Network

Week 8

GAMEDATETIMENETWORK

Orlando at Memphis

Saturday, March 30

2 p.m.

B/R Live

San Diego at Salt Lake

Saturday, March 30

8 p.m.

NFL Network

Atlanta at Birmingham

Sunday, March 31

4 p.m.

CBS Sports Network

Arizona at San Antonio

Sunday, March 31

8 p.m.

NFL Network

Week 9

GAMEDATETIMENETWORK

Memphis at San Antonio

Saturday, April 6

4 p.m.

B/R Live

San Diego at Orlando

Saturday, April 6

8 p.m.

NFL Network

Salt Lake at Atlanta

Sunday, April 7

4 p.m.

CBS Sports Network

Birmingham at Arizona

Sunday, April 7

8 p.m.

NFL Network

Week 10

GAMEDATETIMENETWORK

San Antonio at Salt Lake

Friday, April 12

8 p.m.

B/R Live

Atlanta at Memphis

Saturday, April 13

8 p.m.

NFL Network

Birmingham at Orlando

Sunday, April 14

3:30 p.m.

CBS Sports Network

Arizona at San Diego

Sunday, April 14

8 p.m.

NFL Network

One thing not mentioned is that this will be a really good opportunity for more minority coaches to get a chance for exposure 

I plan to tune in tonight for a bit and at least check it out.  Are there any potential fantasy sleepers on either of these rrosters to look out for?

So far they are really doing a good job of explaining the league and promoting. Everything is professional. My only criticism is while this is impressive and all, the games have to be good to succeed. I think I would have started a new league hot right out the gate with the game. 

Shockingly small in-stadium crowds, but the TV product looks sharp, and the streaming live product is also looking good.

League has a chance, with zero competition for eyeballs this time of year.

I thought they said 20 second clock, I just saw 35.....Look like 35 seconds from the time the player is called down. 

Either way the pace of the game is good so far. No mistakes and the refs are staying out of it. 

I hope they get the technical issues sorted out.  At least for me, the audio keeps going out.

Just the lack of "score!....PAT....kickoff....flag on return....finally get to the next play" makes it feel quicker.

I hope they get the technical issues sorted out.  At least for me, the audio keeps going out.
Me too. 

The SD vs San Antonio game had a awkward earlier to reset the game clock that seemed to go on forever. I could feel the excecs sweating. Ref shoulda let that one slide. 

This league has as much scoring as last week's game between the best NFL teams.  I guess that's promising...

Listening to the audio of the replay reviewer is an interesting feature...

2nd quarter of the ATL/ORL game, and the refs botch a TD call...replay reviewer says the call stands...then reverses and decides to make it a TD and reverse the call.

Makes you wonder if someone in the officials' ear isn't tweaking the outcomes.  Very odd to hear the same person make a decisive ruling, then come right back and reverse it.

I am actually enjoying what I'm watching with this product. Pace of play is 100% better than the NFL, and they're letting the players play while maintaining a legitimate game (e.g., XFL). Review system definitely an improvement, and really love the reduced TV timeouts and no kickoffs. Will definitely watch again to see if this is consistent over the season. 

Enjoying the pace and seeing contact on the football field again. I like the elimination of the kickoff and just getting to playing right after a score. There have been some good throws and catches (SA game, Woodside has a decent arm). It is good enough football to enjoy and hopefully they have a more progressive mindset and continue to improve some of the awkward communications (ref explanations, sky booth decisions, and audio problems).

Enjoying the pace and seeing contact on the football field again. I like the elimination of the kickoff and just getting to playing right after a score. There have been some good throws and catches (SA game, Woodside has a decent arm). It is good enough football to enjoy and hopefully they have a more progressive mindset and continue to improve some of the awkward communications (ref explanations, sky booth decisions, and audio problems).
Indeed.  Too much of last season watching quality pass rushers run past QBs trying to grab them and pull them down on top of themselves...so good to see players actually allowed to tackle.

And amazingly no QBs have been harmed in the making of this program!

It's been fun to watch.  I absolutely HATE the idea of having to go for two after a touchdown, though.  The strategy of going for one point versus two adds another layer.  Only giving one option reminds me of the old days of the NFL when they only had the extra point.

Was hoping we'd get to see an "onside play" at the end of the SD/SA game, but a timely INT ended the Fleet's bid to make it a 1-score game.

Still, good night of football.  Will watch tomorrow.

I hope the NFL can adopt the same type of replay coverage.  Listening to the officials go through the process was great. 

I hope the NFL can adopt the same type of replay coverage.  Listening to the officials go through the process was great. 
It was great to hear, but troubling that they still got about 50% wrong in the B-game.  

I expect that if people had as much riding on these games in wagers and fantasy titles as they do on a random NFL game, the outrage would be up there with what the big league experiences.

Amazing that even with all the camera angles, it is possible for two intelligent people to see completely opposite things in a video feed.  Some kind of Heisenburg Principle of football officiating...

NFL

AAFC.....All American

AFL

CFL

WFL

USFL

Arena Football

NFL Europe

And now....AAFC

Cn never have enought $$$$$$ football.

I liked it well enough. Lot of recognizable names. My wife may kill me if I try to jam 10 more weeks of football into our life but I’ll watch when possible.

I was openly looking forward to instant replays because of the camera showing it but the NFL could never do that. There would be riots. 

Also loved all the kicking changes and mandatory two point conversion. Nfl should institute all those rules imo. 

King of the Jungle said:
Maybe this will give 2k Sports a chance to create another football video game that is better than Madden.
This is what I was thinking last night watching. Imagine a football game that's not under a stranglehold by EA!

Also enjoying the no kickoff affect. Much quicker gameplay. Will be interesting to see how the "onsides" play works out.

Users who are viewing this thread