What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Bishop Sankey - Best RB in the 2014 Draft (2 Viewers)

Nolan Nawrocki is also pretty down on Sankey. His scouting report from NFL.com:

Strengths Good vision and balance. Subtle lateral agility to pick, slide and accelerate. Reads his blocks and instinctively runs to daylight. Fluid gate and efficient movement. Runs competitively. Good hands to pull in throws off his body. Was productive with a heavy workload in a pro-style offense. Team captain. Weaknesses Lacks ideal bulk and functional run strength -- not a robust tackle-breaker. Too often grounded by single-tacklers or tripped up by the ankles. Shows some hip tightness. Average explosion, speed and elusiveness. Has shown he can be contained by good defenses. Needs to become a more dependable, physical, fundamentally sound pass protector. Draft Projection Rounds 3-4 Bottom LineThe Pac-12’s leading rusher, Sankey has an overall average skill set and generally gains what is blocked for him. Is instinctive, competitive and shifty enough to be effective as a complementary zone runner, but must improve in pass protection.
There's not a great track record of sub 210 pound RBs dominating in the league lately without either insane speed (i.e. Charles/Spiller/CJ2K) or unreal quicks (McCoy). There's Ray Rice and that's about it. I don't think Sankey is that good myself. I think he'll be a pretty ho-hum pro back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sample size isn't huge, but when I was looking at workout numbers for recent RB prospects I noticed that 205-210 without great speed was something of a dead zone. Donald Brown and Felix Jones are two high-profile guys who had pretty good overall workout numbers with dimensions pretty similar to Sankey. Neither guy really lived up to his billing in the NFL. My guess is that it's because they're caught between the two poles of "big back" and "speed back." With mid-high 4.4X speed, they're not quite blazing fast enough to dominate in the NFL as pure speed threats. And without great bulk, they're not able to thrive as power backs. So they're in this no-man's land as tweeners who aren't quite this or that.

Sankey is a touch thicker than both of those guys at 5'9.4" 209, but he's also slower with solid, but not burner-like 4.49 speed. Style-wise, he reminds me a little bit of Tashard Choice. Another high 4.4X guy with an identical BMI who was a little bit taller/heavier and a little less explosive. Although I think his game is a bit different from these other backs, none of the comparisons really paints an optimistic picture. If he's caught in that middle ground between not quite being fast/explosive enough to thrive as a speed back and not quite powerful/heavy enough to be a big back then he might be destined for a somewhat mediocre career.

Just based on what I've seen of him combined with the objective variables, I'd say he's probably a 25/75 blend of Doug Martin and Tashard Choice. Probably better as a backup/RBBC guy in the long run, but maybe good enough to thrive as a stopgap starter. Given how crazy people will go for any young RB who puts up decent stats in a favorable situation, I can't say he'd be a horrible pick if he wound up in an obvious starting role ala LeVeon Bell. However, there aren't too many of those in the league after free agency and I don't rate him as a guy who's obviously going to emerge eventually regardless of situation.

LeSean McCoy:

Pre-draft measurables

Ht 5 ft 10¼ in

Wt 204 lb

40-yd dash 4.50 s

10-yd split 1.52 s

20-yd split 2.59 s

20-ss 4.18 s

3-cone 6.82 s

Vert 29 in

Broad 8 ft 11 in

BP 17 reps

All values from Pittsburgh Pro Day, except for Ht and Wt.

I feel better about Bishop Sankey as a prospect heading into this years draft than I did about McCoy back in 2009...

Sample size isn't huge, but when I was looking at workout numbers for recent RB prospects I noticed that 205-210 without great speed was something of a dead zone. Donald Brown and Felix Jones are two high-profile guys who had pretty good overall workout numbers with dimensions pretty similar to Sankey. Neither guy really lived up to his billing in the NFL. My guess is that it's because they're caught between the two poles of "big back" and "speed back." With mid-high 4.4X speed, they're not quite blazing fast enough to dominate in the NFL as pure speed threats. And without great bulk, they're not able to thrive as power backs. So they're in this no-man's land as tweeners who aren't quite this or that.

Sankey is a touch thicker than both of those guys at 5'9.4" 209, but he's also slower with solid, but not burner-like 4.49 speed. Style-wise, he reminds me a little bit of Tashard Choice. Another high 4.4X guy with an identical BMI who was a little bit taller/heavier and a little less explosive. Although I think his game is a bit different from these other backs, none of the comparisons really paints an optimistic picture. If he's caught in that middle ground between not quite being fast/explosive enough to thrive as a speed back and not quite powerful/heavy enough to be a big back then he might be destined for a somewhat mediocre career.

Just based on what I've seen of him combined with the objective variables, I'd say he's probably a 25/75 blend of Doug Martin and Tashard Choice. Probably better as a backup/RBBC guy in the long run, but maybe good enough to thrive as a stopgap starter. Given how crazy people will go for any young RB who puts up decent stats in a favorable situation, I can't say he'd be a horrible pick if he wound up in an obvious starting role ala LeVeon Bell. However, there aren't too many of those in the league after free agency and I don't rate him as a guy who's obviously going to emerge eventually regardless of situation.
No mans land hey... You mean like LeSean McCoy....

Sankey is a 50/50 blend of Zac Stacy and Pierre Thomas.

One mock projection and commentary:

70. Jacksonville Jaguars: Bishop Sankey, RB, Washington

Geoff Says: Maurice Jones-Drew is gone. Jacksonville did bring in Toby Gerhart as a replacement but they still need more dynamic ability at the position. Bishop Sankey has it all: agility, speed, surprising power and soft hands to receive out of the backfield.

One mock projection and commentary:

70. Jacksonville Jaguars: Bishop Sankey, RB, Washington

Geoff Says: Maurice Jones-Drew is gone. Jacksonville did bring in Toby Gerhart as a replacement but they still need more dynamic ability at the position. Bishop Sankey has it all: agility, speed, surprising power and soft hands to receive out of the backfield.
If I were to extend my mock to 3 rounds I'd have Jack taking a RB there as well. Unfortunately Sankey will already be gone to Den at 63.

LeSean McCoy:

Pre-draft measurables

Ht 5 ft 10¼ in

Wt 204 lb

40-yd dash 4.50 s

10-yd split 1.52 s

20-yd split 2.59 s

20-ss 4.18 s

3-cone 6.82 s

Vert 29 in

Broad 8 ft 11 in

BP 17 reps

I feel better about Bishop Sankey as a prospect heading into this years draft than I did about McCoy back in 2009...
:doh:

LeSean McCoy:

Pre-draft measurables

Ht 5 ft 10¼ in

Wt 204 lb

40-yd dash 4.50 s

10-yd split 1.52 s

20-yd split 2.59 s

20-ss 4.18 s

3-cone 6.82 s

Vert 29 in

Broad 8 ft 11 in

BP 17 reps

THATS A FACT - JACK!

Isaiah Pead

Liked RB Pead. Naturally quick + explosive. Dynamic + decisive north-south runner.Some similarities to J. Charles when he came out of Texas

Liked CIN Pead. Decisive downhill runner with explosive short area burst. Natural wiggle in open field. Stop + start, change of direction.

Love Rams pick of Pead. Runner-receiver. Can also align at WR. Some similarities to McCoy coming out of Pitt (remember he was 2nd rd pick).
I was high on Pead and went back to see what I missed scouting him. What I took from it is that I over-valued running ability and receiving vs. his terrible blocking. He can do some good things running the ball but if he can't block he won't play.
If my memory is working tonight, Pead was a kind of 50/50 guys overall both with draftniks and dynasty players, so nothing proven by missing on guy people were split one. And 90 plus percent of the world missed on Trent Richardson (Jim Brown got it right). again no point here.
I completely forgot that Jim Brown called Trent Richardson correctly. Well done.

LeSean McCoy:

Pre-draft measurables

Ht 5 ft 10¼ in

Wt 204 lb

40-yd dash 4.50 s

10-yd split 1.52 s

20-yd split 2.59 s

20-ss 4.18 s

3-cone 6.82 s

Vert 29 in

Broad 8 ft 11 in

BP 17 reps

Ditto. :doh:

As much as I like Sankey, he's no McCoy. Doesn't have the same level of ankle-breaking moves.

As much as I like Sankey, he's no McCoy. Doesn't have the same level of ankle-breaking moves.
You may be right about that. McCoy has turned out to be an absolute elite RB. A dream for any fantasy team.

But let's not forget that he was taken in the second round and was no slam dunk 1.1 rookie pick in drafts back in 2009. He also did not fit the size and speed criteria/requirements that a certain "summary challenged" three letter named poster on this board has listed out.

I indicated that I am personally higher on Sankey this year than I was on McCoy in 2009. Not saying that "he is certainly going to be a better NFL player" than McCoy. Although it is possible....???

He did have better production in college and better combine drill numbers heading into the draft...

2009 Average Rookie Rankings from one source....

1-Knowshon Moreno, RB, DEN

2-Chris Wells, RB, ARI

3-Michael Crabtree, WR, SF

4-Donald Brown, RB, IND

5-Shonn Greene, RB, NYJ

6-LeSean McCoy, RB, PHI

7-Hakeem Nicks, WR, NYG

8-Percy Harvin, WR, MIN

9-Jeremy Maclin, WR, PHI

10-Mark Sanchez, QB, NYJ

11-James Davis, RB, CLE

12-Matthew Stafford, QB, DET

McCoy averaged out as the sixth pick in 2009 by this source....

Comparing McCoy, as we know him today, and Sankey is kind of absurd. I watched a lot of Pitt football back in that day and I also know one of Shady's former coaches pretty well. He blossomed into a better Pro than about anyone would have ever thought.

Bishop Sankey of Washington takes the top spot, but the running back position in this year's draft is loaded.

Like the wide receiver class in the 2014 NFL Draft, the running group this year is deep. The difference is it's just not as talented at the top. While Sammy Watkins is a high-level No. 1 at wide receiver, the same can't be said for our top running back, Bishop Sankey.

While Sankey is a good player, he's not necessarily a superstar talent. He's a running back with good vision and he always seems to generate positive yards.

While their NFL Scouting Combine stats may not indicate it, Ka'Deem Carey and Lache Seastrunk are both home run theats at running back. Carlos Hyde of Ohio State is most likely to be the top running back drafted. He's a powerful runner who can easily shed tackles.

Really, this is another group that has something for everybody. Because of that, the middle rounds of the draft could be filled with running backs.

1. Bishop Sankey | 5'9 1/2, 209 pounds | Running back | Washington *

2. Ka'Deem Carey | 5'9 3/8, 207 pounds | Running back | Arizona *

3. Carlos Hyde | 5'11 7/8, 230 pounds | Running back | Ohio State

4. Lache Seastrunk | 5'9 1/2, 201 pounds | Running back | Baylor *

5. Charles Sims | 5'11 1/8, 214 pounds | Running back | West Virginia

6. Tre Mason | 5'8 1/2, 207 pounds | Running back | Auburn *

7. Devonta Freeman | 5'8 1/4, 206 pounds | Running back | Florida State *

8. Isaiah Crowell | 5'11, 224 pounds | Running back | Alabama State *

9. Terrance West | 5'9 1/4, 225 pounds | Running back | Towson *

10. Jeremy Hill | 6'0 5/8, 233 pounds | Running back | LSU *

11. Andre Williams | 5'11 3/8, 230 pounds | Running back | Boston College

12. Antonio Andrews | 5'10 1/8, 225 pounds | Running back | Western Kentucky

13. De'Anthony Thomas | 5'8 5/8, 174 pounds | Running back / Wide receiver | Oregon *

14. Storm Johnson | 6'0, 209 pounds | Running back | Central Florida *

15. Marion Grice | 6'0, 208 pounds | Running back | Arizona State

16. Rajion Neal | 5'11, 212 pounds | Running back | Tennessee

17. LaDarius Perkins | 5'7 3/8, 195 pounds | Running back | Mississippi State

18. Dri Archer | 5'7 3/8, 173 pounds | Running back | Kent State

19. Kapri Bibbs | 5'9 3/8, 212 pounds | Running back | Colorado State *

20. James White | 5'9 1/8, 204 pounds | Running back | Wisconsin

21. Henry Josey | 5'8 1/8, 194 pounds | Running back | Missouri *

22. David Fluellen | 5'11 1/8, 224 pounds | Running back | Toledo

23. Jerick McKinnon | 5'8 7/8, 209 pounds | Running back | Georgia Southern

24. James Wilder Jr. | 6'2 5/8, 232 pounds | Running back | Florida State *

25. Silas Redd | 5'9 3/4, 212 pounds | Running back | Southern California

26. James Sims | 6'0, 200 pounds | Running back | Kansas

27. Timothy Flanders | 5'8 5/8, 207 pounds | Running back | Sam Houston State

28. Lorenzo Taliaferro | 6'0 1/4, 229 pounds | Running back | Coastal Carolina

29. George Atkinson | 6'1 3/8, 218 pounds | Running back | Notre Dame *

30. Damien Williams | 5'11 1/4, 222 pounds | Running back | Oklahoma

31. Roy Finch | 5'7, 167 pounds | Running back | Oklahoma

32. Ben Malena | 5'9, 195 pounds | Running back | Texas A&M

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2014/3/27/5552352/2014-nfl-draft-running-back-rankings

Bishop Sankey Scouting Report

By Charlie Campbell
Strengths:
  • Excellent vision
  • Runs with great balance
  • Pad level
  • Body lean
  • More powerful than one would think
  • Thick lower body
  • Has a nose for the end zone
  • Can get yards after contact
  • Quickness
  • Has a burst to the hole and second level
  • Great cutting ability
  • Elusive runner
  • Has potential as a receiver
  • Capable of controlling games
  • Runs well in the second half
  • Durable
  • Consistent
  • Scheme versatile
  • Good teammate
  • Unselfish
  • Upside
  • Experienced Weaknesses:Lacks elite speed
  • Lacks elite size
  • Lots of carries the past two seasons (616)
  • Will continue to need development as a blocker
  • Will continue to need development as a receiver
  • Summary: The Huskies had a disappointing 2012 season, but bounced back to field a tough team in 2013. The biggest reason was Sankey. While he played well as a sophomore replacing Chris Polk, Sankey dominated the Pac-12 last fall. The junior ran well against the elite teams in the conference and was a steady force on the ground for Washington. In 2012, Sankey had an excellent debut as a starter. He averaged five yards per carry and totaled 1,439 yards with 16 touchdowns, plus caught 33 passes for 249 yards. Sankey ended the season in impressive fashion with 205 yards on 30 carries against Boise State. The toughest defense he saw all season was Stanford, yet he gained 144 yards on 20 carries.

Sankey was one of the nation's best backs in 2013. He averaged 5.8 yards per carry on the year for 1,775 yards with 18 touchdowns. The junior also tracked down 25 receptions for 298 yards and another score. Sankey ran really well against Stanford (27-125-2) and Oregon (28-167-2), though he did have a fumble against the Ducks.

Sankey was remarkably consistent as he went over 100 yards in nine different games with two others above 90 yards rushing. He also reached 200 yards in three games: Illinois (35-208), California (27-241) and Washington State (34-200). Sankey scored a touchdown in every game of the season. He made the right decision to enter the 2014 NFL Draft as he had nothing left to prove in college and already totaled a lot of carries across the past two seasons (616).

Sankey is a well-balanced runner. He is elusive around defenders and runs with great pad level and balance. That allows him to pick up yards after contact. Sankey has quickness, strength, toughness and receiving ability. He will need to continue to improve his blitz protection and receiving skills, but he has good starting points should end up being a three-down back quickly in his NFL career.

At the Combine, Sankey ran faster than expected with a 40-yard dash time of 4.49 seconds. He also had an impressive total on the bench press (26 reps) and did well in the receiver drills. That performance solidified Sankey as a second-day selection.

For the NFL, Sankey looks like a three-down starting running back. If he were a little bigger and faster, he could be a first-round talent, but he should be one of those second-day backs that ends up being a starter in the NFL and a favorite of fantasy football players. Player Comparison: Ray Rice. Sankey is similar to the Rice that played pre-2013, not the one that slumped coming off the Super Bowl. Sankey is a little bit smaller than Rice (5-9, 218), but Sankey could end up weighing about the same after some time in the NFL. They share the same running style. Both Sankey and Rice have quickness to the hole and are shifty runners with excellent pad level to pick up yards after contact. Both players are tough to bring down. Rice was a second-round pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, and Sankey could be selected in the same round this May.

NFL Matches: Houston, Tennessee, Cleveland, Oakland, Miami, New York Jets, Atlanta

There are a lot of teams that are going to target running backs on the second day, or in the mid-rounds, of the 2014 NFL Draft.

In the AFC South, Sankey has a few landing spots. The Titans are moving on from Chris Johnson, and Sankey would be a nice replacement as their feature back. The Texans could use a running back behind Arian Foster. Ben Tate is gone and Foster has had injuries, so it looks very likely that Houston will be drafting a running back. Sankey could fit the Texans at the top of Round 3 - if he gets there.

In the AFC West, Oakland signed Darren McFadden to a 1-year deal, but the Raiders could use a back capable of carrying their offense in case McFadden gets hurt again.

In the Big Apple, the Jets could use a featured runner for their offense. Elsewhere in the AFC East, Miami is still searching for a stable running back. Sankey could be brought in to compete with the Dolphins' holdovers.

Cleveland is likely to address running back in free agency, but the team could use multiple backs. The Browns could use one of their second-day picks on Sankey. Cleveland could get a nice value by targeting a back Sankey in Round 3 - if he is still available.

Atlanta made a short-term signing with Steven Jackson, but the Falcons need a starter for the long haul. Sankey could be a nice fit in Atlanta. http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2014bsankey.php

Pasted from http://russellstreetreport.com/the-2014-nfl-draft-by-position-running-back/

COMPLETE BACKS

Bishop Sankey, Washington – With a strong lower body, ideal vision and the ability to make effortless lateral cuts, Sankey is close to the complete package. He’s a durable back with the ability to be a change-of-pace player, and his reliability out of the backfield makes him a well-rounded prospect.

Devonta Freeman, Florida State – Much like Sankey, Freeman’s lower body strength and cutting ability make him a well-balanced runner. He is consistent at following his blockers, and is a patient runner who can have a violent, downhill mentality when necessary. Quick burst as a receiver and adequate skills in pass protection make him average-to-above average in nearly every aspect.

Never mind, just saw the update.

Bishop Sankey, RB (5-10. 209) — Sankey stood on his numbers from the combine (he was a top performer in his position group in the bench press and broad jump, and the No. 1 performer in his position group in the three-cone drill and short shuttle). He looked very good in the position drills at the pro day, catching the ball well out of the backfield. Sankey was the top running back in the nation at breaking tackles last season. He isn’t a flashy player, but a solid performer with the chance to be the first running back selected in the 2014 NFL Draft.

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/pro-days/

Bishop Sankey, RB (5-10. 209) — Sankey stood on his numbers from the combine (he was a top performer in his position group in the bench press and broad jump, and the No. 1 performer in his position group in the three-cone drill and short shuttle). He looked very good in the position drills at the pro day, catching the ball well out of the backfield. Sankey was the top running back in the nation at breaking tackles last season. He isn’t a flashy player, but a solid performer with the chance to be the first running back selected in the 2014 NFL Draft.

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/pro-days/
What is the source of that stat? Greg Peshek's numbers disagree, as do my numbers.

Bishop Sankey, RB (5-10. 209) — Sankey stood on his numbers from the combine (he was a top performer in his position group in the bench press and broad jump, and the No. 1 performer in his position group in the three-cone drill and short shuttle). He looked very good in the position drills at the pro day, catching the ball well out of the backfield. Sankey was the top running back in the nation at breaking tackles last season. He isn’t a flashy player, but a solid performer with the chance to be the first running back selected in the 2014 NFL Draft.http://blogs.nfl.com/category/pro-days/
What is the source of that stat? Greg Peshek's numbers disagree, as do my numbers.
I don't know. It's an NFL.com article. I posted the site.

Bishop Sankey: "I'm an all around Running Back"

In 2011, Bishop Sankey was more or less anonymous.

In 2013, he was arguably the most feared player in the Pac-12.

Indeed, after getting just 28 carries as a freshman, the Washington running back ran 289 times for 1,439 yards and 16 touchdowns as a sophomore in 2012.

One-year wonder? Flash in the pan? Nope. Sankey set personal bests across the board in 2013, rushing 327 times for 1,870 yards and 20 touchdowns. He also had 28 receptions for 304 yards and a touchdown.
That’s an average of 10.9 yards per catch and 6.1 yards per touch.

It appears Sankey has the college game figured out, which is why the 5-10, 203-pound back has elected to forgo his senior season and is now preparing for the NFL.

“I think there’s definitely a transition going into the NFL,” Sankey said on The MoJo Show. “Obviously the guys are bigger and stronger and faster and they do a little bit more on defense, but I feel well-prepared. So I’m still in the process of getting (ready) for that – really just trying to get physically and mentally prepared for the Pro Day and draft day. I’m excited for it.”

That preparation, of course, involves a whole lot of training. If the combine is any indication, however, Sankey’s work is paying off. The 21-year-old finished second among running backs in the bench press, repping 225 pounds an impressive 26 times. He also ran a 4.49 in the 40-yard dash – which was faster than the likes of Oregon’s De’Anthony Thomas (4.50), Baylor’s Lache Seastrunk (4.51) and Arizona’s Ka’Deem Carey (4.70).
“I’m happy with my numbers,” Sankey said. “I hit all my marks that I expected to hit, and I think it went fairly well. I caught the ball pretty well during the position drills and felt good and crisp on those. So I couldn’t be happier with my results from the combine.”

Sankey said Washington’s offense was “very pro-style” during his freshman and sophomore seasons and involved a lot of huddling. This past year, however, Washington ran a no-huddle, hurry-up offense much more frequently.

“I think I can adjust to pretty much anything,” Sankey said.

Then again, NFL scouts have a way of figuring that out. During his combine interviews, Sankey was asked questions about both his personal life and his football life. At times, he was asked to draw up plays and break down film.

“They just want to see how you react,” Sankey explained.

They’ll get another opportunity to see how Sankey reacts during his Pro Day on April 2.

“I’m feeling good about it,” he said. “Really, these past few months I’ve just been training (and) getting ready for the combine and everything. Now that that’s done, really my next focus is Pro Day. So the training continues. I’m really just taking it a week at a time – or even better, a day at a time.

“I think I’m an all-around back,” Sankey continued. “I think I’ve proven that I can tote the rock on the ground and be productive on the ground, but I can also come out of the backfield and catch some balls for you, and I also feel confident in my pass-blocking abilities. I have a good feel for what the defense is going to do.” http://mojo.radio.cbssports.com/2014/02/26/bishop-sankey-im-an-all-around-running-back/

Futures: Washington RB Bishop Sankey

by Matt Waldman

This week’s Futures contains excerpts from the 2014 Rookie Scouting Portfolio, my 1284-page scouting report on 164 prospects at the offensive skill positions, which is available for download now. The RSP donates 10 percent of each purchase to Darkness to Light, a non-profit organization devoted to preventing sexual abuse through the training of individuals, communities, and organizations on its dynamics.

The draft community is split on Washington running back Bishop Sankey. Some consider him a top-five back. Others see a committee guy, but never a featured starter. I side more with the latter viewpoint, but I do see how Sankey can develop into a full-time starter.

The reason for this split is scheme fit. When Sankey is reading the defenders directly in front of him he can be decisive, get downhill fast, and get his pads low enough to split the defense. When he focuses on his blocks, he can press and cut back to aid his lineman’s effort.

But ask Sankey to read linebackers, corners, or safeties a level behind the immediate blocks happening at the line of scrimmage and he struggles. He gets confused or hesitant and his reactions are tentative and slow. The speedy back with quick cuts and momentum to carry a defender for 2-3 yards is gone.

I think these lapses are often more conceptual than physical. Certain blocking schemes are easier for him to see the field than others. When Sankey gets confused, you can see it with his footwork. He’ll stutter rather than cut and he winds up exposed to the defense.

I believe Sankey’s best chance to develop into a starter depends on him going to a team that runs a lot of gap-style plays. This includes traps, power, counter plays, and sweeps -- run designs where linemen pull and the runner has one option and doesn't have to do much reading of the defense pre-snap. It’s the running back’s equivalent of an exam with true/false questions.

In contrast, zone blocking is like multiple choice: it requires a runner has the skill to anticipate what the defense will do on a play. Sankey has the athleticism to create, but when given two-to-three options he doesn’t read the line fast enough to succeed on a consistent basis.

He’ll often bounce runs in directions where there’s little chance to gain yards on a play where he had a clear opportunity to diagnose it differently. Sankey also misses some downhill opportunities that require a decisive, aggressive mindset.

Maybe this improves, but right now Sankey is better in a gap-style offense that places tigher boundaries on his creative options. When this happens, he displays greater shiftiness, layers of moves to make defenders miss, and burst from his cuts.

Still, today’s Futures is not a balanced illustration of Sankey’s good and bad plays. It’s focused solely on difficult plays that often mark the difference between a future NFL starter and a future backup.

And despite Sankey having a better match with one scheme fit, his decision making and skill at seeing the second level needs refinement regardless of scheme.

Bouncing Outside vs. Staying Inside

This is a first-and-10 with 13:53 in the first quarter against Stanford. Sankey is at the right of the quarterback in an 11-personnel pistol. The ball is at the right hash of the Washington 30 and the defense is sporting a 3-3-5 look. The outside linebacker is over the tight end at the right end.

The line slants left and the left guard and left tackle double-team the defensive end. Sankey takes the exchange with this double team ahead of him and works towards the left tackle. The left guard has worked beyond this initial double team to the outside linebacker at the second level of the defense.

Sankey bounces the play to the outside shoulder of the left tackle. As he reaches the edge of the formation a yard behind the line of scrimmage, he slows his gait as he spots the outside linebacker working outside the left guard. Sankey bounces outside the slot receiver in an attempt to reach the line, sees the safety coming downhill and tries to dip inside. He spins through some of the safety’s wrap, but he’s hit by two more players and dropped after a gain of two yards.

If you stop the video at the 14-second mark, you’ll see the point where Sankey makes the decision to bounce the play outside. The guard is approaching the outside linebacker, but the linebacker’s helmet is well outside the guard’s pads. In a sense, Sankey’s decision to bounce the play seems sensible. However, there is a decent argument that Sankey had the blocks to cut the run inside the left guard, especially when reading the wide receiver and the safety.

Look at the position of the safety relative to the slot receiver and the position of the left guard and it supports the idea that an aggressive cut down hill earns Sankey as many yards as a bounce outside while reducing the chance of losing yards. I could go one step further and argue that if Sankey made a hard cut down hill and delayed his burst a beat, he’d have room for the outside linebacker to overrun his angle and burst behind the defender for a larger gain.

My criticisms of Sankey’s decision on this play are debatable, but it sets the stage for a pattern of more questionable decisions. Here’s a first-and-10 with 8:12 in the first quarter from a 1x3 receiver 10-personnel shotgun set with the ball at the left hash versus a nickel look. The offensive line slants left with the center and left guard double-teaming the defensive tackle, but the opposite splits the double team so early that Sankey should have seen the helmets of the defensive tackle and defensive end crashing inside as he’s taking the exchange from the quarterback.
The better prospects in this class would read this cutback opportunity to the right where there’s an open gap. With a 4-flat 20-yard shuttle and a 6.75-second, three-cone drill, Sankey has demonstrated on and off the field that he has the burst and quick change of direction to cut to his right and exploit the backside gap. Instead, Sankey plants and cuts to the left side.

As Sankey reaches the edge, the left tackle has fallen to the ground. Sankey is now in damage control mode as he faces down an unblocked defensive end and the penetration up the middle. He lowers the pads into the defensive tackle, but he’s dropped for a three-yard loss.

Restart the video to the one minute-mark and pause it. Sankey could have read the alignment before the snap and anticipated the penetration inside. The defensive tackle right of center has his helmet over the inside shoulder of the right guard. The defensive tackle left of center is set up between the center and left guard.
Sankey knows his linemen will be slanting left, which means the third defender he should have noted is the defensive end outside the right tackle. The position of the end should have been enough for Sankey to anticipate a huge gap between the right guard and right tackle.

Questionable View of the Next Level

The best running back prospects read the field a level beyond their current path. Not many do this well. However, good prospects read and react to defenders within a radius of 5-10 yards of their path when in open space. There are two plays within five minutes of each other where Sankey’s vision comes into question.

The first wouldn’t be a question if I didn’t see the second play minutes later. It’s a 31-personnel pistol with Sankey as the tailback on a second-and-8 with 4:27 in the first quarter. The back to Sankey’s right shifts outside the left tackle before the snap. When the play begins, the left guard pulls to the left edge as the rest of the line slants right. Sankey works up the left hash and through a crease at the line of scrimmage between the outside linebacker and safety.

The cornerback ends this run with a great hit and wrap of Sankey for a minimal gain. After watching this play numerous times, I don’t think Sankey sees the cornerback until it’s too late for him to do anything but lower his pads into a hard hit that will get under Sankey’s pads regardless.

There was a split-second of indecision from Sankey where he seemed unsure about either colliding or avoiding the corner, and it costs him the position to make contact with balance. Like I said, I’m not sure I would have noticed the above play if not for this first-and-10 run with 14:06 in the half. The defense is in a 3-3-5 look with two safeties split 15 yards deep against this read-option play.

The line slants left and the center works to the second level. Sankey sees the cutback opportunity behind the right tackle and executes a hard plant with his inside foot to cut behind the right tackle to the line of scrimmage. This is a good decision.

However, he’s slow to address the middle linebacker at the next level. He telegraphs this cut inside to the Stanford defender who approaches over the top from the right hash.

The linebacker hammers Sankey for no gain. Like the previous play, this is a difficult situation for any running back prospect. Only the best prospects would spot the linebacker fast enough to address the angle successfully. A runner like Adrian Peterson would be capable of lowering the pads and trucking the defender or making a second cut outside and using a stiff arm.

LeSean McCoy would have also been successful making that second cut to the right flat. Ryan Mathews is also skilled enough to make this second cut -- and Mathews may never fulfill his potential as a top-tier NFL runner. There are 30-40 runners in the league with the skills to address defenders in the ways Sankey failed to do in this game.

There’s no shame in Sankey not addressing these plays better. However, its plays like these that are the difference between an NFL contributor and an NFL starter --especially in run schemes that require an additional layer of creativity and the vision to locate second-level defenders early enough to defeat them.

Sankey has the potential to help a team as a contributor and grow into a lead back if he can learn to read the field wtih greater consistency. However, plays like these that I find in every game combined with Sankey's difficulty breaking tackles that starters in the NFL handle as a matter of routine make me skeptical about that upside.

Limit Sankey's choices and encourage more aggressive, reactive behavior and Sankey will have a fighting chance. The question is whether most NFL teams are this patient with running backs in a day and age where they can find a quality talent in the middle to late rounds that doesn't require this type of development.
Posted by: Matt Waldman on 02 Apr 2014 http://www.footballoutsiders.com/futures/2014/futures-washington-rb-bishop-sankey
See link for video being referenced.

Matt has him as his 10th best running back in this draft.

Is it possible to get back that 19.95??

In all seriousness though the RSP is a great read with some nice analysis...

But I think that he is missing the mark big-time on Sankey!

SI 64: Nos. 64-60: Jimmy Garoppolo, Jimmie Ward, Bishop Sankey and more

By Doug Farrar

Excerpt:

No. 60: Bishop Sankey, RB, WashingtonBio: One of the more productive backs in the country over the last two seasons, Sankey totaled 3,309 yards and 36 rushing touchdowns on 616 carries in 2012 and ’13, adding 61 receptions for 553 yards and a touchdown for good measure. Often underrated in an offense that was uneven at best, Sankey broke out in his junior campaign with 1,870 yards, which ranked fourth in the nation, and 20 touchdowns, which also ranked fourth. The 5-10, 209-pound Sankey impressed and excelled despite an offensive line that did him no favors and general inconsistency from quarterback Keith Price. He appears ready to make a real impact in the NFL, though some believe that he’ll have limitations at the next level.

Strengths: Sankey has a good ability to read gaps and quickly find open spaces. He’s not a power back, but he keeps his legs moving through traffic and gains yards after contact with propulsion more than power. And when he moves quickly to and through the hole, he’s hard to catch up with — he gets up to speed quickly and has an estimable second gear. Good jump-cut runner who can move quickly to find openings, and he accelerates smoothly to linebacker depth and beyond. Cuts quickly to beat defenders — Sankey can foot-fake defenders easily and consistently. Good weapon on slice runs across the line, because he’s quick in short spaces. Not a dominant blocker, but gives good effort and can keep defenders at bay for the most part. More a cut-blocker than a face-up guy who’s going to use physical strength. An opportunistic runner who will outperform his line over time if need be. A valuable and versatile receiver who can excel in any screen package, with wheel routes, and if the quarterback needs to be bailed out. An aware player who keeps his eyes open and is always looking for opportunities to help his team.

Weaknesses: Runs too upright at times, leaving himself open to easy takedowns and turnovers — Sankey needs to keep his pad level down and blast through gaps. This issue definitely shows up on a consistent basis when he’s tasked to create openings at the line; Sankey is more reliant on line openings.

Conclusion: Sankey has limitations as a bellwether back, because he doesn’t have the physical dominance that such backs must have to succeed over time in the NFL — at the professional level, the running game is a war of attrition more than anything else. But he’s not a boom-or-bust player in the Chris Johnson mold, either — Sankey can do more than one thing on the field, and in the right circumstances (an offense that switches its backs often and situationally), he’ll be a major contributor. Specifically, I believe that he could have a bigger impact as a receiver in the NFL, though his impact as a rusher might not be the same as it was on the collegiate level. The Jahvid Best comparison is based on Best’s work at Cal more than his Lions career, which was unfortunately cut short by injuries.

NFL player comparison: Jahvid Best, Detroit Lions (1st round, 2010, Cal)

Matt has him as his 10th best running back in this draft.

Is it possible to get back that 19.95??

In all seriousness though the RSP is a great read with some nice analysis...

But I think that he is missing the mark big-time on Sankey!
LOL.

Week 5 Pro Day Takeaways: Clowney sails, Henderson bailsExcerpt:

3. Washington's Bishop Sankey may have emerged as draft's top back -

Quarterback Keith Price's impressive throwing session was the highlight at Washington's Pro Day but that was only because the best player there, Sankey, largely elected to sit on his Combine numbers.

The only timed drill Sankey ran was the 60-yard "long" shuttle. Scouts clocked him at 11.11 seconds -- a full .25 seconds faster than any running back timed at the Combine and the sixth fastest overall. He carried over his impressive effort into his positional workout, demonstrating his lateral agility and burst as he zipped around cones.

Perhaps most importantly, Sankey showed off his excellent hands during receiving drills, demonstrating the all-around game that could help him jump to the top of his positional group come draft day -- just like a similarly gifted back, Giovani Bernard, did a year ago.

Bishop Sankey: ‘I Think I’m The Best Back Coming Out This Year’

These days, most NFL Draft coverage focuses on quarterbacks and, in the words of Brandon Tierney, “a few big fatties upfront.”

Oh, and Jadeveon Clowney.

But what about the running backs? More specifically, what about Bishop Sankey? The Washington product is one of the top-rated tailbacks in the country.

Where he’ll land, though, is anyone’s guess.

“I’m hearing anywhere from second to third round,” Sankey said on The Morning Show. “For me, all I’m really worried about every time I get on the field is (eliminating) all the questions that the NFL coaches and scouts have about me.”

As Tiki Barber can attest, the life of an NFL running back has changed considerably in a short amount of time. It used to be – as recently as seven or eight years ago – that a running back would be disappointed if he only got 20 or 25 carries in a game. Now? He’s lucky to get 15.

So, how does Sankey – at 5-10, 203 pounds – see himself fitting in at the next level?

“I want to come in and make an impact any way I can,” he said. “Ideally, I wouldn’t mind getting the ball 20 times a game; I think I’ll be able to carry that load if need be. But really, I just want to go in and make an impact from Day One and do whatever I can to get on the field and help (out) whatever team I end up going to.”

Sankey had a monster career at Washington. After getting just 28 carries as a freshman in 2011, he ran 289 times for 1,439 yards and 16 touchdowns as a sophomore in 2012. He followed that up with personal bests across the board in 2013, rushing 327 times for 1,870 yards and 20 touchdowns. He also had 28 receptions for 304 yards and a touchdown.

That’s an average of 10.9 yards per catch and 6.1 yards per touch.

“I think one of my biggest strengths out there is my field vision – just being able to see what happens in front of me,” Sankey said. “I think it gives me an advantage recognizing where to cut.”

If the NFL Combine was any indication, Sankey has more than just field vision; he has the physical tools needed to succeed in the pros. He finished second among running backs in the bench press, repping 225 pounds an impressive 26 times. He also ran a 4.49 in the 40-yard dash – which was faster than the likes of Oregon’s De’Anthony Thomas (4.50), Baylor’s Lache Seastrunk (4.51) and Arizona’s Ka’Deem Carey (4.70).

“I think I’ve proven to be an all-around running back,” Sankey said. “I think I’ve proven that I can move the ball on the ground – not only that, but catch it out of the backfield and also (be) an asset in pass-protection as well. I think I definitely have a lot to bring to the table, and I definitely could help a team out wherever I end up going.”

Asked where he needs to improve, Sankey said recognizing cornerback coverages.

“In college, a lot of times the running back was focused more on what the linebackers were doing and what the fronts were looking like – and not much on what the back end of the defense is doing,” Sankey said. “So I think I definitely can grow in being able to recognize coverages quicker.”

Sankey, who likened his game to LeSean McCoy and Giovani Bernard, feels he’s the best running back prospect in the draft.

“I think I’m the best back coming out this year,” Sankey said. “I think I’ve shown consistency each year. I’m able to get the job done.”

http://tbd.radio.cbssports.com/2014/04/17/bishop-sankey-i-think-im-the-best-back-coming-out-this-year/

A lot of Footballguys Hater-ation on Bishop Sankey's future prospects...

LAMMEY - Says Bishop Sankey is not special/not creative and is a part-time player (says he has a little Ronnie Hillman in him who he liked quite a bit)

BLOOM - Is lukewarm on Sankey - says he is adequate and not special - a backup RB in the NFL

WALDMAN - Ranks Sankey as his 10th rated RB pre-draft - sides with the opinion that he is a committee guy and probably not a featured starter. He does also say he could develop into a full-time starter in a gap scheme, but not if he goes to a team that runs in a zone blocking scheme.

In the latest Audible, Cecil Lammey compares him to Ronnie Hillman and then goes on to say he has poor creativity and balance. Not sure what he meant, since Cecil is in love with Hillman. Please advise.

In the latest Audible, Cecil Lammey compares him to Ronnie Hillman and then goes on to say he has poor creativity and balance. Not sure what he meant, since Cecil is in love with Hillman. Please advise.
He probably "got skinny" through the hole or some #### like that

Great balance on these two tough runs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhNxjGKUZeg
Or bad defense and tackling. Take your pick...
Can I really take my pick? That doesn't seem right at all.

MoveToSkypager said:
werdnoynek said:
Xue said:
MoveToSkypager said:
Great balance on these two tough runs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhNxjGKUZeg
Who's to say.

MoveToSkypager said:
werdnoynek said:
Xue said:
MoveToSkypager said:
Who's to say.
It's your thought, why don't you explain it?

Let me know when a player says they are the 6th best at their respective position. Might take them a little more seriously.

Users who are viewing this thread