What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Corey Coleman - WR - Patriots (1 Viewer)

TDorBust said:
Well I did take him at 1.07, he really shouldn't have been there and I am happy about it.

I wasn't "excited" earlier as I never was huge on this years draft class in general and I think the 1.03/1.04 soured me with my view.

Here is hoping the Browns new leadership can use his talents.
I would be ecstatic if I traded down for future draft picks and still landed Coleman at 1.07.

If you don't mind, why don't you post the results of the 1st round of your draft?

1PPR league, i just moved up to get 1.02 to take him. sans a lick of hesitation. as of tuesday, he will be one of mine <3

I would be ecstatic if I traded down for future draft picks and still landed Coleman at 1.07.

If you don't mind, why don't you post the results of the 1st round of your draft?
16 Team - 54 active - 10 taxi squad - salary cap - IDP - 11 Offensive / 11 Defensive

Elliot
Doctson
Treadwell
Henry
Hunter Henry (didn't get this one)
Dixon
Coleman
Thomas
.... We start without a time the first weekend of the draft

16 Team - 54 active - 10 taxi squad - salary cap - IDP - 11 Offensive / 11 Defensive

Elliot
Doctson
Treadwell
Henry
Hunter Henry (didn't get this one)
Dixon
Coleman
Thomas
.... We start without a time the first weekend of the draft

Not surprised to see a couple RBs bubble up.  Actually expected it to be QB heavy - maybe even a "start 2" league.

As for Hunter Henry... that is a surprise.  Of course, the Chargers do have a long legacy of TE production.

With the majority of the content thus far on Coleman being dynasty orientated opinions, where are you guys on him in redraft?

The majority of leagues I play in, are of the "start 3WR" variety. So that tends to bring some players into relevance, that might not be too important in some other settings.

Coleman has a few things going for him, that I look for in my potential "late round value snag with upside" sort of picks.

Coleman does have obvious talent.He may well have RGIII throwing him the ball. The likely absence of one Josh Gordon. The "Baylor connection" that others here have alluded to. The Browns will likely have to throw a fair bit. The Browns still don't have a very clear RB backfield scenario....but the biggest thing that stands out is the lack of talent the Browns have at WR.

That alone makes him an interesting player to me. He very well could get peppered with targets, right out of the gate and be a solid addition to many fantasy teams.

Where exactly does he sit in redraft?

Well, the more I think about this guy, the more it seems as though he is right on the edge of WR3/WR4. But he does have the upside though, the type that I tend to  take a chance on late in drafts.

I am not quite sold on him yet as a full fledged WR3 that I want to roll out every week, but then again on the other hand I can see him having a few solid games early on and then me trotting him out as a WR3 with no issues.

A quick glance at the Browns schedule, and its very "hit and miss" with a few bright spots namely weeks 12-13 vs. the Steelers and Giants that could well turn into a scenario where they have to throw a ton. (yeah I know its tough to look this far ahead and especially gauge the opposing defenses, but occasionally I think about those things)

Also take note they play the Chargers @ CLE in week 16/championship week. Often when I see these "borderline-ish" type fantasy assets, I try and see what their late fantasy season impact could turn into.

The good news is, the public doesn't seem too high on him just yet, and snagging him as a very late round WR3 is easy. In most leagues he is going extremely late or undrafted. Certainly that will change as the season approaches.

Hopefully the hype stays down.  Do I see an Odell Beckham Jr. type of explosion, not exactly. But I can easily see Coleman being a "solid",high-target  WR3ish player that can help a bunch of fantasy teams.

I am sure to own him in a league here or there when the time comes BUT, if Josh Gordon happens to get reinstated, then I likely won't own any shares of Coleman anywhere.

TZM

Last edited by a moderator:
that the Browns would install some Baylor packages?

Ya, real crazy... except that's what's happening. 
No, about your "internal clock" claim.  That #### is insanity. I bet they don't even need to practice together.  Hell, they ran the same stuff in college, who needs practice?  They already got their practice hours in.

No, about your "internal clock" claim.  That #### is insanity. I bet they don't even need to practice together.  Hell, they ran the same stuff in college, who needs practice?  They already got their practice hours in.
you do realize some baylor specific packages are based off timed routes, no?

of course they need to practice. a ton. 

but to say that a baylor qb/wr wouldnt be more in tune then a non baylor qb/wr (at least INITIALLY) means you dont understand the baylor system. that's all.

Hue Jackson as the OC of the Bengals the last two seasons had them throwing just over 500 times a season. With the Raiders prior to that it was a pretty even split between pass attempts and rushing attempts as well. The highest passing attempts was 524 with Carson Palmer as the QB.

Last year the Browns threw the ball 600 some times, the two leading targets were Travis Benjamin and Gary Barnidge who each had 125 targets. Benjamin has moved on to SD and I have to wonder about Barnidge having a career year at the age of 30, how sustainable that might be.

I think Coleman has a floor of 100 targets for 2016. He still has a lot to learn and he will likely be a main focus of defensive game planning. The volume may be less than last year by near 100 attempts, but I just don't see who else they will be throwing the ball to. 

100 targets is 20% of 500 attempts. I could see Coleman possibly being a 30% guy in 2017 (150 targets) but I wouldn't expect that as a rookie and lower volume passing attempts. AJ Green had 132 targets last season and in 2014 had 9 targets per game which would be 144 over 16 games. So these kind of targets could be there for Coleman as the primary target, even if the pass attempts stay near 500. I just don't expect that volume right away.

So for redraft he is a guy to consider as a WR 3 who might be a WR 2 if he scores 6 or more TD.

In 2017 I see him progressing and being a WR 2 who could be a WR 1 if he gets enough volume.

"he looks explosive"

all I needed to hear. not a single player stepping on that field is in gameshape. 

I get it... hearing that kind of stuff is never a "great!" moment... but also, w hue trying to build a real team w hardnosed, dedicated guys... i chalk it up to motivation.

"he looks explosive"

all I needed to hear. not a single player stepping on that field is in gameshape. 

I get it... hearing that kind of stuff is never a "great!" moment... but also, w hue trying to build a real team w hardnosed, dedicated guys... i chalk it up to motivation.
This is what is confusing to me because I hear the converse of this when reading about other teams running a limited rookie minicamp like the Dolphins and Jaguars.  They state that rookies are already in good shape because they've been training for combines, pro days, private workouts, etc so that they best get improvement out of film work and other scheme learning from inside the facility.  So which is it?  Are players in good conditioning because of the proximity of combine/pro day so on, or are they are bad conditioning because of some other reason?

Hue knows that his number one receiver is a rookie who has never played an NFL down. He has to use all motivational tactics to hopefully speed up his rate of progression.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/05/which_rookie_will_make_the_big.html

Hey, Mary Kay: Which rookie will make the biggest impact this year?

- Shawn Peticos, Ellenboro, N.C.

Hey Shawn: Assuming that Robert Griffin III stays healthy and Cody Kessler doesn't play much this season, I think Corey Coleman will make the biggest impact. I think he'll start from day one and take over immediately as the No. 1 receiver. I believe that's why Hue Jackson called him out during rookie camp for being out of shape. He expects big things from Coleman this season and needs him to play at an elite level. I think he'll get the ball early and often.

=

An NFL scout who spoke with the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel indicated that Baylor WR Corey Coleman will need to expand his route-running when he hits the pros.

Said the scout, "It'll take a little bit of time when [Coleman] comes in the league just like all the Baylor receivers because they don't run a route tree," adding that "there's a development to his game that he needs." The 5-foot-11, 194-pound former Bear might need to polish up that aspect of his game, but the same scout wasn't all work and no play, calling Coleman a "really dynamic player." Another scout who spoke with the Journal-Sentinel compared the star wideout to Anquan Boldin. He's also drawn several comps to Steve Smith. We like the Smith comparison a bit more, because Coleman has the speed element that Boldin never quite did.

========================================================

Two things:

1. The 'out of shape' thing.

He suffered a sports hernia and had surgery.  He reportedly looked great by everyone in the media and they felt that Hue was leaning on Corey more than truly calling him out for being 'out of shape'.  The kid is fine from everything I've seen.

2.  The concerns over the limited route tree that Baylor runs.  

This is a legitimate concern but the Browns have Hue Jackson and Al Saunders.  Hue is reportedly incorporating 'some Baylor' concepts into the offense that will assist Corey's development and then there is Al Saunders who is a coaching legend with over 40 years of coaching experience.  He is considered one of the greatest coaches in the 'history of the game' and he is the guy who will be coaching Corey and the other three rookie WRs that the Browns drafted.

Check out this quick video in case you haven't heard of Al Saunders:

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/videos/Browns_Huddle_Al_Saunders_Energizing_Young_WRs_/e15cf1d4-09a1-45b9-b952-574cc8ec1781

Posted: May 20, 2016

Browns Huddle: Al Saunders Energizing Young WRs

Senior Offensive Assistant/Wide Receiver Coach Al Saunders has been in the NFL for over 30 years and brings his energizing personality to a wide receiver group full of young talent.
=======================================================

Corey had 10 drops and his production fell off a cliff the last three games but Baylor had injuries at QB and were forced to run a wishbone/fly option run with RBs and WRs.  Obviously that threw off timing with WRs.

Pro Football Focus comps Baylor WR Corey Coleman to Steve Smith, calls him a "possible top-10 prospect" and ranks him as the most underrated prospect in the entire draft.

"His 10 drops on 84 catchable passes is a minor red flag, but he has the deep speed to burn cornerbacks and also the ability to take a short gain and turn it into a touchdown," Jeff Dooley wrote. Last year, Coleman finished No. 9 in receiving grade in this draft class, but context is important here. He led the nation in yards per route run average before Jarrett Stidham, Baylor's backup QB, was lost to a season-ending injury. After that, the offense, running without a true quarterback, was forced to cook up a bizarre wishbone/fly option offense run by RBs and WRs. Somehow, the Bears beat UNC in the bowl game with it. Small miracles.

I think there are some bullet points that sum up his potential this year.

• Measurables
He ran a blazing 4.37 forty and had a vertical leap of over 40 inches (40.5) that make him the top rookie WR of this draft class.

• Coaching
Hue Jackson has already started to incorporate 'some Baylor' concepts into the playbook and then Al Saunders is a coaching legend who will be right there to help Coleman expand his route tree and work on NFL WR techniques.  I honestly think this is the best possible situation he could find himself in. 

• Opportunity
As Mary Kay Cabot said in her article this morning, Hue Jackson called him out for being out of shape because he 'expects big things from him this year' and he will be 'target early and often.'  So the kid will get every possible chance to win the starting job and it seems the coaches are tailoring the offense around what he can do athletically and what he was most successful doing at Baylor. 

Browns rookie WR Corey Coleman believes he can adjust to an NFL route tree.
Coleman ran an extremely limited route tree at Baylor, but he played in a more pro-style system in high school. "I had to make a transition when I came to Baylor. It wasn’t the same, but I made the transition to routes that I did run," Coleman said. "It is going to be a transition from college to the NFL. I’m just going to have to adapt and get used to the situation. I think I will be just fine, though." Despite his limitations as a route runner, Coleman is clearly the most talented receiver on the roster. He should be the focal point of the passing offense this season.

My problem is that someone will compare him to Percy Harvin. Never liked Harvin and never will. I want a WR not a toy.

So can he be more than just a toy for NFL club? I'm asking you as I don't have opinion yet and I'm about put my hands into this TD-machine.

My problem is that someone will compare him to Percy Harvin. Never liked Harvin and never will. I want a WR not a toy.

So can he be more than just a toy for NFL club? I'm asking you as I don't have opinion yet and I'm about put my hands into this TD-machine.
Yes. I'm not high on Coleman as some but who is his competition in Cleveland? How many people expect the Browns to be leading so they can run out the clock? He's likely going to see a high volume.

Plus, even if Coleman is limited receiver, he's still a receiver. He's not a WR/QB/PR/KR/whatever. 

I really struggle putting a really fast and athletic guy who doesn't catch well (drops, catches with his body) and has average technique and route running ability ahead of a guy (Treadwell) who is slower but is physical, has great hands, and has the skills and instincts to be a top WR. 

"he looks explosive"

You know who else was explosive? The unabomber. Despite prodigious talent, he never did anything positive after he left Cal. I expect Coleman to end up the same way. Broke in a shack in the woods with people wondering where the #### he is at. It's over Soul. 

Otis, you're struggling because you don't own him.  

Coleman is the real deal
I have the #2 pick in my dynasty draft.  I can own any of these WRs.  I just struggle to see Coleman over Treadwell.  And Doctson feels like he's in 3rd place to me... that's a crowded group and he's years from relevance.

I really struggle putting a really fast and athletic guy who doesn't catch well (drops, catches with his body) and has average technique and route running ability ahead of a guy (Treadwell) who is slower but is physical, has great hands, and has the skills and instincts to be a top WR. 
Treadwell is never going to get you 1500 yards.   He's probably not going to get much more than 1200 yards most years.   It would take a lot of catches.  But he will get touchdowns,  especially once Peterson wears down, and he should get a ton of targets and receptions. 

Coleman probably has a higher bust potential for all the reasons you mentioned but he was a touchdown machine in college and he is a much more talented receiver than just a speed guy.  Watch him with the ball in his hands,  he's a fun player to watch.  Lots of stop start moves and cuts like a running back in the open field.  The route running will come and he'll be fed targets early so he's got a high floor.    His hands and also his ability to beat the press will decide his NFL future but he's got as high a ceiling as anyone.   

If you told me either one of them was going to be a bust i would not only believe you but be able to tell you why.  But if I had to pick one I probably pick Coleman because I can imagine him putting up a 1500 yard 10 td season a lot easier than Treadwell. 

I have the #2 pick in my dynasty draft.  I can own any of these WRs.  I just struggle to see Coleman over Treadwell.  And Doctson feels like he's in 3rd place to me... that's a crowded group and he's years from relevance.
Trade back if you can.

Coleman over treadwell, honestly it isnt even a debate for me. And I like Treadwell 
The hard part for me  is predicting the Vikings offense. I don't think Peterson has more than a year left. What will the Vikings offense be in a  year or 2? Will they draft a Fournette or Chubb and try to keep the same offense? Will they open things up? I think Treadwell has Dez Bryant upside, but I have no clue where this offense is headed. I also go Coleman over Treadwell, but I don't love either. 

He is not years from relevance.

He is being fast-tracked to be the starting X-WR and will see the bulk of targets as the primary go-to WR provided Josh Gordon isn't back but even if JG comes back he'll be the Z-WR and is probably more suited to be playing off the LOS as a Z.

He has fantastic coaching in both Hue Jackson and Al Sanders.

He's getting 1st team reps.

He tested off the charts with his SPARQ score.

He scored a ton of TDs in college.

The 'bad rap' he got for dropping passes?  You should check into the quote I posted above where it was pointed out that Baylor lost their starting and backup QBs and went to an offense without a QB where it where RBs were making some passes.  

Corey's offensive production was at a record breaking pace before the QBs went down with injuries but dropped off the last three games so obviously, the loss of the QBs had a direct and glaring impact on his production and I would imagine it also had an effect with dropped passes that must not have been on-target.

Corey Coleman will be productive this year as a rookie and is even money to be the most productive rookie WR from this draft class if he's healthy.

I compare him to a Brandin Cooks but Corey is bigger and will be the go-to guy from day-1 whereas the Saints took at least a year to figure out how to use Cooks and Brandin got injured his rookie season.  Cooks is a floor comparison IMHO the ceiling comparison would be Steve Smith who Corey compares himself to.  Corey is bigger and stronger than Cooks and bigger and probably as strong as Smith and Corey also if feisty ALA Steve Smith so I'd put in somewhere between those two WRs.

I feel like the years from relavence comment was in regard to Doctson

also, Otis, treadwell and coleman can both be good, and be different types of wr, its not unheard of

Coleman is my #1 WR in this draft class. Before his injury and his QB's going down he was on pace for what 25+ TD's. 

Treadwell is never going to get you 1500 yards.   He's probably not going to get much more than 1200 yards most years.   It would take a lot of catches.  But he will get touchdowns,  especially once Peterson wears down, and he should get a ton of targets and receptions. 

Coleman probably has a higher bust potential for all the reasons you mentioned but he was a touchdown machine in college and he is a much more talented receiver than just a speed guy.  Watch him with the ball in his hands,  he's a fun player to watch.  Lots of stop start moves and cuts like a running back in the open field.  The route running will come and he'll be fed targets early so he's got a high floor.    His hands and also his ability to beat the press will decide his NFL future but he's got as high a ceiling as anyone.   

If you told me either one of them was going to be a bust i would not only believe you but be able to tell you why.  But if I had to pick one I probably pick Coleman because I can imagine him putting up a 1500 yard 10 td season a lot easier than Treadwell. 
Tell me why Treadwell can't be Dez Bryant. And if he's Dez, why he isn't the first off the board. 

He is not years from relevance.

He is being fast-tracked to be the starting X-WR and will see the bulk of targets as the primary go-to WR provided Josh Gordon isn't back but even if JG comes back he'll be the Z-WR and is probably more suited to be playing off the LOS as a Z.

He has fantastic coaching in both Hue Jackson and Al Sanders.

He's getting 1st team reps.

He tested off the charts with his SPARQ score.

He scored a ton of TDs in college.

The 'bad rap' he got for dropping passes?  You should check into the quote I posted above where it was pointed out that Baylor lost their starting and backup QBs and went to an offense without a QB where it where RBs were making some passes.  

Corey's offensive production was at a record breaking pace before the QBs went down with injuries but dropped off the last three games so obviously, the loss of the QBs had a direct and glaring impact on his production and I would imagine it also had an effect with dropped passes that must not have been on-target.

Corey Coleman will be productive this year as a rookie and is even money to be the most productive rookie WR from this draft class if he's healthy.

I compare him to a Brandin Cooks but Corey is bigger and will be the go-to guy from day-1 whereas the Saints took at least a year to figure out how to use Cooks and Brandin got injured his rookie season.  Cooks is a floor comparison IMHO the ceiling comparison would be Steve Smith who Corey compares himself to.  Corey is bigger and stronger than Cooks and bigger and probably as strong as Smith and Corey also if feisty ALA Steve Smith so I'd put in somewhere between those two WRs.
First of all, reread my email.

Secondly, I don't care who the QB was, I've see the criticisms of Coleman and more importantly I've seen with my own eyes, eg from the combine, that he just catches his chest and body. That's bad. Especially at his level. A bad habit that should have been killed 5 years ago. 

Tell me why Treadwell can't be Dez Bryant. And if he's Dez, why he isn't the first off the board. 
Dez ran a 4.52 and was timed faster than that.   Treadwell isn't that.  He's a mid 4.6 guy. That's fine - he's still a really good receiver.  But while Dez averages 14 or 15 yards a catch, Treadwell is probably going to be closer to 12.  So if they both get 90 catches,  Treadwell gets a couple hundred fewer yards.  

A better comp is Anquan boldin, who has remarkably similar measurables.  In his best years he flirted with 14 yards a catch and got 100 catches - but that was with ideal qb play,  and he only did it twice.  He had some very good years outside those,  but they weren't Dez years.   And playing with Bridgewater,  that's probably what you're looking at. 

In his career year,  Coleman might average more like 17 or 18 yards a catch, for something like 80 catches at 18 yards a catch - 1440 yards with a bunch of tds.  That's not an every year projection,  just an idea of the type of year you're hoping to get from a guy like Coleman.  This year you might see him get 150 targets and catch 75 to 90 of them for like 12 to 13 yards a catch - but that would still be an absurdly good rookie season of 900 to 1200 yards.   And if you don't think they're going to feed him, who is going to get those targets instead? 

Secondly, I don't care who the QB was, I've see the criticisms of Coleman and more importantly I've seen with my own eyes, eg from the combine, that he just catches his chest and body. That's bad. Especially at his level. A bad habit that should have been killed 5 years ago. 
It sounds more like you're describing Will Fuller than Corey Coleman.

WRs that use their body too much drive me nuts.  I avoid them at all costs.  Corey Coleman does not fit into that bucket for me.  He's a natural hands catcher.  Maybe not as much as Treadwell but plenty enough to satisfy my typically strict criteria in that category.  The only time he really lets the ball get into his body is on deep passes over the shoulder, which is fine.  When he runs a slant he sticks his hands up and plucks the ball out of the air, he doesn't cradle it underhanded with his chest like Fuller does.

Coleman will catch with his hands but definitely body catches enough that I wouldn't call him a natural body catcher. Watch these highlights and see for yourself. I disregard the deep ball cradle catches because it's not a positive or negative. Those passes have so much height it's almost like a punt. 

Coleman catches more than enough inside breaking passes with his body that I think it's tough to call him a natural hands catcher. However, he plucks enough balls to avoid a body catcher label. 

If someone wants to we can break it down more but I think that video sums up the whole issue nicely. 

I wanted to get some opinions, so thanks everyone.

I'll say this... I like players that are raw, but has already produced. They are still rookies, so it's not like they can't get better.

Coleman is one of those guys I just love to get my hands on just because it's hard not to see that he is gifted. The route running can be learned- speed / strength can't. Don't think he catches too much with his body and while I am certain he will have to learn some aspect of NFL, he will be used a lot and learn more every day. I trust Hue and think he can teach this kid ton of things and love even more that he was the one that wanted Corey. 

Some really good conversation about Coleman compared to Treadwell in here.  :thumbup:

Whichever NFL team drafts Corey Coleman needs to get him the damn ball

I think the criticism of his catching technique is valid and worth considering. At the same time, I think cradling the ball on a slant route is an appropriate technique to use as you are trying to shield the defender from swating the ball away. In the play the author gives as an example, the defender is reaching in and does knock the ball out even though Coleman is trying to cradle it against his body to prevent this.

Now there are some good points made about using the triangle technique to catch the ball and there are times when this was likely a better choice on Coleman's part that may have prevented some of his drops. At the same time the author states that Coleman does use correct triangle technique about 50% of the time. He just uses underhand technique too often.

On the slant routes if the ball is placed properly so he can catch it with his hands and not have to break stride he does that. There are other times when the defense is closer and I can somewhat understand the use of body catching technique if the pass is not placed properly and you are trying to protect the ball from the defender.

I have no doubt that the coaches will be having him work on this and help him understand the correct technique for catching the ball on all of these routes, which does depend somewhat on how the throw is placed for him and the position of the defense.

As far as his limited route tree goes, he wins on the slant route, he wins on the bubble screen and he wins on the deep route. These are routes that win in the NFL as well. He certainly isn't as polished as a guy like Tyler Lockett in college, but he is so good at winning with those routes, I don't see a problem with that translating to the NFL.

Similar to Bracie upthread I compare Coleman to Brandin Cooks. I think Cooks was a bit smoother with his routes and showed more things than Coleman. However Coleman seems a lot stronger than Cooks is. He isn't just fast and elusive, he is hard to tackle because of the power he generates running the ball as well. This is what reminds me of Percy Harvin. However Coleman does a better job of tracking the deep ball than Harvin. I don't consider Coleman as limited as Harvin was. He makes teams respect him deep. 

I consider Coleman a better version of Brandin Cooks although similar prospects. I would expect him to have more targets than Treadwell over the next 3 seasons..

For standard leagues I think Coleman can compete with Treadwell for TDs. In PPR I would expect Coleman to have more catches. I consider them the same tier but I would take Coleman over Treadwell or Doctson. 

To your first point.  We all make mistakes that are easily forgivable for instance, I never got an e-mail but I know what you meant, no problem.

Secondly, if you believe that Corey will not be able to improve his hands or that they are an issue then that would directly transfer to his NFL game.

If Corey can directly transfer his positive skills to the NFL I'd take him in a heartbeat even if he drops some balls due to the fact he has extra gears and explosion so he tends to look downfield before hauling in the reception.  It seems to me that he is thinking about moves after the catch on his drops.  The upside more than outweighs the downside of his drops IMHO but YMMV.

From yesterday.  Go to the link for the full read.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2016/06/cleveland_browns_have_terry_ta_67.html

Cleveland Browns have Terry Talkin' Corey Coleman's impact

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The first time I saw Corey Coleman catch a pass, he snagged a short screen. Then he bolted for what probably would have been a 60-yard touchdown.

It's hard to know exactly how the reception would have played out in real football. This was Thursday at the Browns' minicamp, where players were in shorts and no tackling was allowed.

But this much is certain about the team's first-round pick: He is quick and fast.

Some guys are just fast. They are straight-line sprinters. Coleman has the speed, but also the quick feet and sharp cuts needed to make tacklers miss him. The receiver from Baylor has been impressive. He's a first-round pick who looks like one.

"We need guys who can score the football," said Hue Jackson, using one of his favorite phrases. "We need guys who can create their own yards after they catch the ball. We need playmakers. We need guys who can get more yards than prescribed, without calling a perfect play. He's a playmaker. He's explosive. He can score the football."

Football Outsiders rated Coleman as the top playmaker in their analytics study of the draft. He was the first receiver drafted when the Browns picked him at No. 15.

Football Outsiders wrote: "Corey Coleman has a monster projection. As a junior, Coleman gained 1,363 receiving yards and caught an eye-popping 20 touchdowns. Because Baylor only passed the ball 389 times in 2016, Coleman scored a touchdown on 5.1 percent of Baylor's passes. That's an incredible ratio, which has only been topped by four elite college players: Randy Moss, Demaryius Thomas, Dez Bryant, and Larry Fitzgerald...

The Cleveland Plain Dealer's Mary Kay Cabot reports "all signs" point to Corey Coleman opening the season as the Browns' No. 1 receiver.
Coleman is certainly talented enough to fill that role and has reportedly worked hard on his transition to a pro-style offense, but the reality is there are no other options. On a depth chart filled with limited role players and unproven talent, Coleman should easily take over the No. 1 role and has a good shot to lead the team in targets. He is a high-upside WR3.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer
Jul 11 - 1:03 PM

A sizable chunk of Coleman's value came from the supposed volume he'd be the recipient of.

Two years from now, Gordon helps or hurts Coleman's value?

Run It Up said:
A sizable chunk of Coleman's value came from the supposed volume he'd be the recipient of.

I think its good for people wanting to get Coleman. His value will probably be lowered for a while but his talent is still the same. Sure, heightened volume expectation made him more desirable but it was always kind of silly to draft the guy and thinking this would be how it always was for him. At some point, the situation would change and with Gordon, that situation change might be a week away. If Gordon does come in and stay in, that's a lot of attention they have to give to Gordon so even then maybe less volume translates to just as much ff production (maybe less catches but more YAC).

These things have a way of working themselves out if the talent is there but there is little doubt a lot of people will look at this situation and divert their attention from Coleman to Gordon and it might not be the best move, considering the price tag.

Run It Up said:

Start from the assumption that his game transfers to the NFL and that the Browns will welcome back Josh Gordon and that Gordon assumes his previous role and get similar targets as the X-WR.  

Coleman would be moved to Z and play off the line of scrimmage where he is a better fit IMHO.

If the Browns don't trust Gordon then they 'probably' won't move Coleman to the Z.  We don't know how much Hue Jackson will tip his hand in camp or the preseason but I think the beat writers will gather enough information to the point that we will hear how much time Coleman is lined up off the LOS.

Bottom line.  I don't think JGs status really matters.  Coleman will get his one way or another so long as his game transfers. 

I find it hard to say that Gordon wouldn't impact Coleman, or that Coleman wouldn't still shine through that. Which is why I phrased the question the way I did.

Users who are viewing this thread