What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (10 Viewers)

It feels like AZ is on the brink of becoming a hotspot again. School numbers have been the highest, hospitals are almost full again and the questions about testing and no one having appointments are coming up again. Just in the last few days I’ve had a lot of regular customers hospitalized. One called us today from the hospital desperately wanting to get his wife vaccinated.

It’s just frustrating these days, not so much the antivaxxers but just the fact that nothing seems to get us past this. If we’re gonna need boosters every 6 months and it’s still gonna be this bad, we’re in trouble. For every booster we need, a certain % of the population won’t buy in. I guess just keep vaxxing as much as we can and hope for the best. Organized 3 clinics tomorrow for kids, hoping for good turnouts!

My Dad is scheduled for the mAB infusion on Monday morning. Had he developed symptoms earlier than Tuesday, they would have scheduled an emergency appt for today or tomorrow, but Monday is within the 7 day window and they're comfortable with the time line. A little disappointing, but at least he's scheduled.

A question for those who may know, how long do the mAB anti-bodies stay in your system and do they, themselves, offer long term protection? I'm reading that a vaccination or booster should come 90 days after treatment, which is longer than the recommended 28 days from natural infection. I suppose anyone receiving mAB is developing both types of antibodies, possibly creating the longer recommended wait.

My Dad is scheduled for the mAB infusion on Monday morning. Had he developed symptoms earlier than Tuesday, they would have scheduled an emergency appt for today or tomorrow, but Monday is within the 7 day window and they're comfortable with the time line. A little disappointing, but at least he's scheduled.

A question for those who may know, how long do the mAB anti-bodies stay in your system and do they, themselves, offer long term protection? I'm reading that a vaccination or booster should come 90 days after treatment, which is longer than the recommended 28 days from natural infection. I suppose anyone receiving mAB is developing both types of antibodies, possibly creating the longer recommended wait.
Also, my mom still has not developed symptoms (she also has not taken the extra home test, for some reason) and is trying to isolate from my dad. Is there a rule of thumb for how long he is contagious and should keep this up? She was exposed, possibly to a lesser extent, to the initial patient zero on Sunday. And exposed to my Dad until Thursday, when he finally took the home test. He developed symptoms on Tuesday.

Keep in mind, he had the full vaccination (moderna) ~March. No booster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same.  I got boosted a while ago, when it was technically against the rules.  I think people should get boosted now.  It doesn't need to be a big, dramatic production with lots of hand-wringing and shouting.
No I am questioning the booster in general. And I do not like the fact that I was fully vaccinated, but without a booster, I am no longer fully vaccinated. I was all for doing my part, but I can't support this type of message.

No I am questioning the booster in general. And I do not like the fact that I was fully vaccinated, but without a booster, I am no longer fully vaccinated. I was all for doing my part, but I can't support this type of message.
What are you questioning? That data and evidence changes over time? That what was supposed to be sufficient isn't quite so but there is a solution? That healthcare providers and researchers were doing it right before but now they aren't for whatever reason?

The vaccines were developed. They were a huge success in fighting the illness while being incredibly safe and tolerated well enough. After millions of doses given, some time, and the ability to test longer term immunity, especially against variants, it was found that an additional dose was recommended. What are you questioning? Would you prefer they just called it a day and never bothered to check how it was working and if anything else was needed?

Still baffles me that there are lots of Americans that treat vaccines that were tested and made by American companies as if they are poison —and act like the mysterious disease that floated out of a Chinese laboratory that has killed millions of people as if it’s nothing to worry about.  Makes sense. 
I mean Agent Orange was also made by Americans

Also, my mom still has not developed symptoms (she also has not taken the extra home test, for some reason) and is trying to isolate from my dad. Is there a rule of thumb for how long he is contagious and should keep this up? She was exposed, possibly to a lesser extent, to the initial patient zero on Sunday. And exposed to my Dad until Thursday, when he finally took the home test. He developed symptoms on Tuesday.

Keep in mind, he had the full vaccination (moderna) ~March. No booster.
Rule of thumb is 10 days but I think 5-7 days for a vaxxed person showing no symptoms she should be considered good

I don't understand. After millions of vaccinations were administered and testing was done, it was discovered that the vaccine's protection declines over time, and that an additional booster will increase protection again. Do you not want to know this?

Payne said:
Then PLEASE don't look at it this way.  Look at it in terms of antibodies.  One gets vaccinated and produces a ton of antibodies as a result.  The more antibodies flowing the more protected you are.  The antibodies instruct the TCells to kill off those proteins.  The body eliminates all those proteins and as a result stops producing the antibodies.  The body has NO IDEA what is going on outside of it.  Antibodies go away but the instruction on how to produce them when the body sees the protein is left behind.  At this point, you can be one of two people should that protein resurface in the body.  You can be the person who got "boosted" and continue to have a ton of antibodies and can start fighting off the protein almost immediately or you can be the person that has to first produce the antibodies, then begin fighting off the protein.  That's the choice you are making.

Posted in the other thread but the moderna booster kicked my ### worse than the second shot :unsure:

I was down all of yesterday and most of today, just starting to feel better

jobarules said:
Rule of thumb is 10 days but I think 5-7 days for a vaxxed person showing no symptoms she should be considered good
It's more complicated than that, depending on the duration of his symptoms and degree of immunocompromise. Ten days is the minimum time he should isolate. Her vaccination status doesn't change his isolation period. CDC recommendations

It's also worth noting those recommendations were determined pre-delta (and pre-vaccine). Delta increases the level of contagion, while being vaccinated decreases vulnerability, but it's not entirely clear to me how to reconcile those factors with the guidance.

The mAbs don't offer long term production. Their half-life is roughly 30 days, so 3 months out, you'd expect ~1/8 of the original levels. AFAIK, mAbs don't promote production of memory B/T cells.

Theoretically, you don't want too many pre-formed antibodies floating around when you receive the mRNA vax, as they'll bind up the vaccine-induced spike protein to some extent, potentially limiting the body's ability to produce antibodies the "natural" way.

It's a bit more complicated if you've already developed some immunity from prior vaccination or infection. The system is already "primed", with multiple immunologic arms working in concert to fight infection (or more accurately, beat down spike protein).

Because natural immunity is less predicable, there isn't a firm recommendation for timing vaccination post-infection. As elaborated numerous times in this thread, some people/infections don't produce antibodies at all. So the wording is vague regarding vaccination following infection, but can occur immediately after an infected person is removed from isolation (ie., ten days for most cases). Where did you see 28 days?

The mAbs don't offer long term production. Their half-life is roughly 30 days, so 3 months out, you'd expect ~1/8 of the original levels. AFAIK, mAbs don't promote production of memory B/T cells.

Theoretically, you don't want too many pre-formed antibodies floating around when you receive the mRNA vax, as they'll bind up the vaccine-induced spike protein to some extent, potentially limiting the body's ability to produce antibodies the "natural" way.

It's a bit more complicated if you've already developed some immunity from prior vaccination or infection. The system is already "primed", with multiple immunologic arms working in concert to fight infection (or more accurately, beat down spike protein).

Because natural immunity is less predicable, there isn't a firm recommendation for timing vaccination post-infection. As elaborated numerous times in this thread, some people/infections don't produce antibodies at all. So the wording is vague regarding vaccination following infection, but can occur immediately after an infected person is removed from isolation (ie., ten days for most cases). Where did you see 28 days?

I went back through my searches from last night and can't find it now, so I must have misread. I am now seeing recommendations to get it after your isolation ends (10 days).

Thanks for the info and additional explanation on the mAb duration.

Not really sure whats going on at work. First about 2 1/2 months ago my SD comes up to us and said per the county we had to wear masks again. Just in the last week I've had a few customers come up to me and say two competitor stores in our area and county employees aren't being told to wear masks. So I don't even know what the actual situation is. There's nothing I've found on the county making masks mandatory certain workers/stores required either. I'm starting to think it's just my company doing this and my SD lied. 

My biggest issue is most of the people aren't wearing including our vendors. SD isn't saying anything and has his mask off half the time. I also have a few co workers at night who don't even wear one at all. Not sure what I'm gonna do. I feel safe enough and vaccinated I can deal with not wearing one and with my Aspergers and sense of feel the whole masks is just annoying to me if I really don't have to wear one (I'll wear one where required) or be forced to at work when half my coworkers don't now. 

Also I just found out my Old book keeper's husband died. They moved and living in their retirement house in Virginia (From PA) and both were in the hospital for Covid. Neither one vaccinated and not surprised since both and most of their family is anti vaccinations, anti masks etc. 

Another unfortunate unnecessary death because people feel like they shouldn't listen to rules and such 

“Angela Merkel says the latest surge in Covid-19 infections is worse than anything Germany has experienced so far and calls for tighter restrictions to help check the spread.”

Get boosted, or we are next. And it may already be too late to an extent. 

“Angela Merkel says the latest surge in Covid-19 infections is worse than anything Germany has experienced so far and calls for tighter restrictions to help check the spread.”

Get boosted, or we are next. And it may already be too late to an extent. 
Current infections/100k previous 7 days is 7x higher than what it needed to be to previously trigger lockdowns.  Lockdowns are now triggered by ICU bed occupancy which has been over 90% for 3-4 weeks in many bavarian counties.  R(t)  is at 1.1 atm.

Haven't had a full blown cold in 3 years.  Fully vaxed in April.  Started feeling a little under the weather Thursday night.  Stayed home from work on Friday and had a raging head cold by Saturday.

Noticed I didn't have a sense of smell Sunday night and let work know I wouldn't be in today.  Had a rapid test this morning that came back positive.  Glad I decided to get tested before spending time with the family for the holiday.  I'll have a nice Thanksgiving diner delivered on Thursday. :)  

Feeling better today than I have for a while.  Still a bummer but I'll survive.

Haven't had a full blown cold in 3 years.  Fully vaxed in April.  Started feeling a little under the weather Thursday night.  Stayed home from work on Friday and had a raging head cold by Saturday.

Noticed I didn't have a sense of smell Sunday night and let work know I wouldn't be in today.  Had a rapid test this morning that came back positive.  Glad I decided to get tested before spending time with the family for the holiday.  I'll have a nice Thanksgiving diner delivered on Thursday. :)  

That sucks. Hope you get better soon. 

WDIK2 said:

Nice work recognizing what was going down...still sucks it's going down. Hope you rebound quickly.

WDIK2 said:

I had something like near Halloween. I thought my allergies were horrible but a lot of other people with bad allergies had it. I think we all had some sort of bad cold. I had a cough that didn't go away for another 5 days too. Not sure if it was really anything too bad 

Nice work recognizing what was going down...still sucks it's going down. Hope you rebound quickly.
Honestly, if it wouldn't have been for the sense of smell thing I wouldn't have gotten tested.  And I discovered that by accident in an "interesting" way.   :lmao:   Became a better safe than sorry decision after that.

Honestly, if it wouldn't have been for the sense of smell thing I wouldn't have gotten tested.  And I discovered that in an "interesting" way.   :lmao:   Became a better safe than sorry decision after that.
Did it involve mouldy cheese? Farting? Mouldy cheese farts?

WDIK2 said:
Noticed I didn't have a sense of smell Sunday night and let work know I wouldn't be in today.  Had a rapid test this morning that came back positive.

Good job staying out of the office.

Did you have any GI tract issues, or just head cold symptoms?

Good job staying out of the office.

Did you have any GI tract issues, or just head cold symptoms?
Just started having some GI tract issues late yesterday.  It may not have been noticeable before because I have had 0 appetite.   I've only eaten a few pieces of toast and some crackers over the last 3 days.  Just not hungry.

This seems like good news:

Pfizer and BioNTech said Monday their COVID-19 vaccine remained 100 percent effective in children 12 to 15 years old, four months after the second dose.
Among the 2,228 participants, there were 30 confirmed symptomatic COVID cases without evidence of prior infection, all in the placebo group. This corresponds to a vaccine efficacy of 100 percent.

One of things that I hope bears out for kids receiving COVID vaccines is that their bodies continue being able to quickly make COVID antibodies. IOW, that their immunological memory is primed so that they never really have to concern themselves with COVID for virtually the rest of their lives.

I saw this today: https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-11-exposure-harmless-coronaviruses-boosts-sars-cov-.html

Warning: not peer reviewed.  It says that there is evidence that previous infection by other coronaviruses offers some protection against COVID-19.  It makes sense and might partially explain why some people have such mild disease while others in similar circumstances have terribly severe disease.  Also, it might explain why some locations in Asia have seen very mild COVID-19 outbreaks.  They may have had large coronavirus outbreaks previously that made their cases milder and less able to spread.

Posted in the other thread but the moderna booster kicked my ### worse than the second shot :unsure:

I was down all of yesterday and most of today, just starting to feel better
Me too but I’m not sure if most was self induced. I ended up doing a bit more exercise than I normally do the day after the shot. I didn’t plan well probably because I had no issues with the first two shots outside of feeling a little tired the next day. I had no fever or flu like symptoms, just really sore for two days. Right as rain now. I need to get my wife and two other sons (oldest and I are boosted).

Haven't seen this northwestern university study posted yet. First I've seen comparing antibody levels after: 

1) 2 doses of mRNA (Pfizer and Moderna grouped)

2) 9 months after 2nd mRNA dose 

3) After mRNA booster shot 

4) After natural infection

RESULTS: 

- 9 months after 2nd dose, aB levels had dropped 10-fold 

- Booster was 25-fold higher than 9mo old mRNA, and 5-fold higher than after 2nd dose. 

- 6-10 days after Booster was 50-fold higher than after natural infection, 

Article is PREPRINT. 

Story: LINK

Study: LINK

Haven't seen this northwestern university study posted yet. First I've seen comparing antibody levels after: 

1) 2 doses of mRNA (Pfizer and Moderna grouped)

2) 9 months after 2nd mRNA dose 

3) After mRNA booster shot 

4) After natural infection

RESULTS: 

- 9 months after 2nd dose, aB levels had dropped 10-fold 

- Booster was 25-fold higher than 9mo old mRNA, and 5-fold higher than after 2nd dose. 

- 6-10 days after Booster was 50-fold higher than after natural infection, 

Article is PREPRINT. 

Story: LINK
Best to you.

One of things that I hope bears out for kids receiving COVID vaccines is that their bodies continue being able to quickly make COVID antibodies. IOW, that their immunological memory is primed so that they never really have to concern themselves with COVID for virtually the rest of their lives.
Considering the body's track record with other coronaviruses, and waning immunity described in adults, I doubt that will be the case.

Users who are viewing this thread